Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th May Weekend Edition

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th May Weekend Edition

Post by AngryAsWell »

Slash welfare and stop mass migration to win back power: Labour MP releases 'Blue' manifesto for next leader
John Mann said party lost election because it was led by out-of-touch elite
The Labour backbencher said leader saw UK through a 'London eyeglass'
Calls for housing benefit to be slashed and EU free movement restricted
'Blue Labour' policies address issues usually associated with the Tories

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3b5DjdWqG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eader.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:fire:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just made a batch of puff pastry. Home made sausage rolls tomorrow. :)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:Slash welfare and stop mass migration to win back power: Labour MP releases 'Blue' manifesto for next leader

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3b5DjdWqG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eader.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly much of that is true, welfare and immigration are hated by working class voters.
Release the Guardvarks.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ohsocynical wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Jon Trickett ‏@jon_trickett · May 16
Visiting every region of the country people weren't talking about aspiration, they were talking of their desperation #radicalhope #compass

I truly believe the Labour Right really don't have a clue how desperate some people already are. It's making people angry and angry people tend not to think too clearly. They just lash out at the nearest thing to blame.
The Conservative share of the vote now is very small. I think they are a spent force. UKIP is the bugbear. They're to the far right of the right but if Labour turns in that direction, I don't think it's going to be enough, and it'll lose them the Left's vote.

If anyone can come up with an answer to that, they're a bloody genius.
I see messages and posts all over the Internet on the lines of 'if Labour go further right they are toast, why can't they see we want them to go left, we want them to represent us'. This is of course the cleaned up version, because as you say people are desperate, they've yet again got a government they didn't vote for or want and they fear for themselves and for the future of their families. And, tbh, I tend to think they are right, if Labour can't or won't see their need, then they will see Labour as irrelevant and something else will emerge. What most fear of course is something more noisome than the SNP, and less acceptable, UKIP. Clearly the Tories don't require any kind of majority, the last two elections have seen to that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Just made a batch of puff pastry. Home made sausage rolls tomorrow. :)
I admire your pastry making Ohso. That (puff pastry) is right out of my league.

However I have been cooking the first 'proper' meal since the election fallout. I simply haven't had the oomph to get into cooking for a bit. Mr Riots keeps popping in to the kitchen to check if it's ready or not. It isn't and he's sent back to his man shed at the top of the garden until it is. Him and the dogs.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour to push for votes for 16-year-olds in EU referendum
Party believes referendum bill could be amended in House of Lords to give more teenagers a vote, even if the move is defeated in the Commons

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... referendum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No need for any further comment after I saw this BTL. Sums it up perfectly.
Cosmonaut 12m ago
I see the Kippers are shitting themselves at this suggestion.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

BBC South East @bbcsoutheast · 2h 2 hours ago
Breaking News: UKIP is investigating Thanet councillor Bertie Braidwood for posting "potentially offensive material" on social media.
Otto English @Otto_English · 2h 2 hours ago
Otto English retweeted Louise Oldfield
Another white UKIP councillor, who likes the far right, with a golliwog collection @billdudleyNorth #BertieBraidwood
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I think what I'm probably hoping for is something I can think of as Real Labour.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I see the DT is running a story about Andy Burnham renting a flat in London while "owning" another property nearby.

Yes, that's exactly the same one that he wrote about to put the facts out nearly 3 years ago....

http://andyburnhammp.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... am-mp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:roll:

And the press really aren't out to get any Labour challenger for the leadership?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Oh so said:
The third definition of culture from Collins Dictionary: Development or improvement by special attention or training, interested me. Brainwashing by any other name. And a particular favourite of this government.

The way I see it we tend to be herdlike but we have the power and the capacity to change if we want. And there is the rub.
That special attention or training could as easily be education as brainwashing, the flip sides of the same coin. I'd love to see a popular movement to educate people about politics and choices, maybe run by Labour, with good speakers, and really reaching out for proper debate. I'd expect such a think to attract negative attention from the right, but it could really help people feel connected and as if they were a part of things.

Of course it would need real commitment and not just lip service. And perhaps some attention to current events, according to what changes are happening at the time. The one thing that came over so clearly during this election campaign was how many people are ignorant of the basics, this is the place that Labour used to fill, it needs to do that again. A start was made by fielding some young and interesting candidates with roots in their constituencies. It could do a huge amount more by doing something like this, and it would bring new membership too.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I think what I'm probably hoping for is something I can think of as Real Labour.
Half the country is. Possibly more.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Just made a batch of puff pastry. Home made sausage rolls tomorrow. :)
I admire your pastry making Ohso. That (puff pastry) is right out of my league.

However I have been cooking the first 'proper' meal since the election fallout. I simply haven't had the oomph to get into cooking for a bit. Mr Riots keeps popping in to the kitchen to check if it's ready or not. It isn't and he's sent back to his man shed at the top of the garden until it is. Him and the dogs.
I had some awful results over the years when I tried to make it and I couldn't afford the waste so there was a long gap before I tried it again, then for some reason I managed it.
It's not that hard, just fiddly but if I'm messing around in the kitchen not too much of a bother.
I weigh out a pound of plain flour. About a half regular teaspoon of salt, four ounces of lard, and four ounces of unsalted butter.
I cut up the butter and lard into smallish (about the size of Oxo) cubes, and put it in the flour You don't rub it in. The lumps of fat are absorbed into the flour as you roll it out.
Put it in the fridge along with a jug of water. You need to keep the mixture as cold as possible.
When it's nice and cold, pour in the cold water until the mixture just about holds together. Tip it out of the bowl. It's a bit messy, but shape it roughly into an oblong and roll it out. Fold it into thirds keeping the seam to your right, and do that for three times, then put it in the fridge for about fifteen minutes. You repeat that three more times...Then it's okay to use.

I've been the same as you, not been baking much lately or cooking meals. All the heart seems to have gone out of me.

I bought some pecan nuts the other week, so once I've used up the sausage meat I'm going to do a few Danish pastries.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The press are a disgrace. We need to work out how to hold them to account. The only thing I can think of is mass boycotts - but that will mean a massive campaign to engage Sun and Mail readers etc in what is going on. Is anyone already working on this at grassroots?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Only warlocks and magicians can make pastry.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Newspapers, not BBC, led the way in biased election coverage
"Over the coming months, we are likely to see much debate about the impartiality of the BBC. This should be based on evidence rather than who has the loudest voice. We need more independent research and less speculation. But the question raised by the election campaign is fairly clear: do our partisan press have too much influence on our broadcast news? The answer, at the moment, would appear to be “yes”."

http://theconversation.com/newspapers-n ... rage-41807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Labour to push for votes for 16-year-olds in EU referendum
Party believes referendum bill could be amended in House of Lords to give more teenagers a vote, even if the move is defeated in the Commons

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... referendum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No need for any further comment after I saw this BTL. Sums it up perfectly.
Cosmonaut 12m ago
I see the Kippers are shitting themselves at this suggestion.
They really need to either make voting compulsory, or to cast your vote via the computer if you choose. Or even both. I reckon that would restore the balance somewhat.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bonnie Greer ‏@Bonn1eGreer 56m56 minutes ago
"#Muslims who stop shopping at M&S could be radicals" warns top cop.
No, not @TheOnion but @TelePolitics
#Toryland
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... p-cop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:Newspapers, not BBC, led the way in biased election coverage
"Over the coming months, we are likely to see much debate about the impartiality of the BBC. This should be based on evidence rather than who has the loudest voice. We need more independent research and less speculation. But the question raised by the election campaign is fairly clear: do our partisan press have too much influence on our broadcast news? The answer, at the moment, would appear to be “yes”."

http://theconversation.com/newspapers-n ... rage-41807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quite a while ago, one of the big Universities did a survey on the BBC news to see if it was partisan and it was definitely right leaning even then.
Both points of view were frequently lacking. Financial matters were one sided to the benefit of the city and bankers, and that was before they began their love affair with Farage.
A recent check (can't remember where I read it) said he had a far higher number of appearances on behalf of UKIP than any other political party let alone their leaders.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Giving the young the vote is fine. I'm all for it, but it won't get them off their bums and down to the polling station.
I think on the whole I'd settle for compulsory voting as a start. At the moment a very small number of the population who certainly aren't representative of those who live here, are holding the whole country to ransom...
The snag is that same government will resist doing anything that might make them lose power. It's a vicious circle.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

There's no mention of the influence of free newspapers. Millions of commuters pick these up every day. I read that the Tories funded special anti-Labour wrappers for these in their key marginals.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Spain's ruling party projected to lose in local polls
Grassroot parties make strong gains as ruling party fails to keep absolute majority in most regions, exit polls show.

Spain isn't the first southern European country to witness a shift in the political center of gravity since Europe's debt crisis prompted governments to slash public spending. In recent years, the traditional parties of governments in Italy and Greece have also seen their influence eroded.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/05/s ... 59029.html
I suppose the difference there is they have PR?
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Bonnie Greer ‏@Bonn1eGreer 56m56 minutes ago
"#Muslims who stop shopping at M&S could be radicals" warns top cop.
No, not @TheOnion but @TelePolitics
#Toryland
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... p-cop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
The biggest motor for radicalisation in the west is banging on about Muslims and Islam all the time. It's been going on since Bush Snr's time. It really doesn't help either that young western Mus.im kids encounter computer games where people like them are the target.

I hate radicalisation as much as anyone but there's got to be an honest appraisal of the things that motor it. The western media stories are picked up globally, and in at least two nations I know of communities where Muslims have lived peacefully as minority communities for hundreds of years alongside the majority are now being targeted and treated appallingly. And in more than a few which were really moderate Muslim nations with no extreme ideas at all are now moving that way, to ordinary people's utter dismay. And you know, the radicalisation in some is absolutely coming from the top. Not from the people.

We say there's a crisis in Islam while we help push it further into crisis, and then start to say it's ok to intrude on people's private spaces because they choose to identify with their parent culture rather than shop at M&S. in which case I'd expect more people to feel very threatened not less. Many of these young people have grandads, peaceful old men who wear traditional clothes, and uncles and dads who do the same. And they won't be going to mosque in a suit because it just isn't practical.

Or are they just talking about headscarves and burkas. I don't think so. :wall:
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ohsocynical wrote:

Quite a while ago, one of the big Universities did a survey on the BBC news to see if it was partisan and it was definitely right leaning even then.
Both points of view were frequently lacking. Financial matters were one sided to the benefit of the city and bankers, and that was before they began their love affair with Farage.
A recent check (can't remember where I read it) said he had a far higher number of appearances on behalf of UKIP than any other political party let alone their leaders.
There were hints of coercion during the campaign, but nothing accounts for why Farage is given this privileged status. The news based programmes certainly have the bias you describe, even the light entertaining ones. I do think there must be some subversive souls left though, I've been watching a Danish drama 1864 and it's as fine a polemic against bad politicians and politics as you could find. It's also more radical in terms of viewing than we are used to, so be warned. It's certainly not anodyne.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ohsocynical wrote:
Spain's ruling party projected to lose in local polls
Grassroot parties make strong gains as ruling party fails to keep absolute majority in most regions, exit polls show.

Spain isn't the first southern European country to witness a shift in the political center of gravity since Europe's debt crisis prompted governments to slash public spending. In recent years, the traditional parties of governments in Italy and Greece have also seen their influence eroded.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/05/s ... 59029.html
I suppose the difference there is they have PR?
Yes, but it's not so simple. It's got a lot of interesting features, has the Spanish system. If you're interested this is a start point. Relevant in view of the way it looks as though we might be heading, towards regional devolution of some kind.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Spain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:I see the SNP are offended that there is no business case to extend HS2 to Scotland. Hardly a shock when you consider the numbers.

I would suggest the solution is simple. The SNP agree to raise the revenue to fund HS2S from Scottish taxation.
No business case? mere detail. (Article from Nov 2012, my colour):
Scottish ministers have launched proposals to boost the Scottish economy with high-speed rail linking Glasgow and Edinburgh to England.
The SNP aim to create a faster service between Scotland's two principal cities which could see journey times cut to less than 30 minutes.
Deputy first minister Nicola Sturgeon launched the proposal in Glasgow last week despite a lack of details concerning cost and the intended route.Speaking at the launch, she said: "We will not wait for Westminster to bring high-speed rail to us. We have already made moves towards seeing a high-speed line in Scotland and the evidence is now in place that this is feasible long before the HS2 proposals.
"The Scottish Government will now enter into talks with our partners in both cities and the rail industry to see how we can work together to see this vision realised: a Glasgow-Edinburgh high-speed line which can connect to the network from England."
http://www.journal-online.co.uk/article ... _proposals
No business case for HS2 going to Scotland? There was no business case for HS2 in England at one point. Now there is, apparently, at least as far as Birmingham. Whatever happened to 'build it and they will come?' Is the track not dual use so that existing trains can run on it, too? I don't know, so I am just asking. But I do know that it takes minimum of sixteen-and-a-half hours and four trains to cover the overland rail bit of the journey from here to my best friend's family home, and that's not counting getting across London, or the bus to the ferry terminal, the ferry, then the bus the rest of the way to the door. They're twenty to twenty-four hours or more away from me. Almost the same as to my cousin in Auckland, NZ. Both journeys cost a fortune, and once you're spending a fortune (although not quite the same fortune) you might as well spend a bit more to get there faster. But the plan's supposed to be to get people onto public transport and away from cars and 'planes – and that means improving existing tracks and trains and building new routes, surely.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

@Ohso: Thank you; but I think you covered what took me a rambling post to say in your earlier posts, and did so more elegantly and succinctly!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:Slash welfare and stop mass migration to win back power: Labour MP releases 'Blue' manifesto for next leader

Bloody hell, what are these people on? And on which planet!?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Sadly much of that is true, welfare and immigration are hated by working class voters.
Yes, until they need Social Security for themselves or their immediate loved-ones - or until they want to move to Spain, or elsewhere.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:I see the SNP are offended that there is no business case to extend HS2 to Scotland. Hardly a shock when you consider the numbers.

I would suggest the solution is simple. The SNP agree to raise the revenue to fund HS2S from Scottish taxation.
No business case? mere detail. (Article from Nov 2012, my colour):
Scottish ministers have launched proposals to boost the Scottish economy with high-speed rail linking Glasgow and Edinburgh to England.
The SNP aim to create a faster service between Scotland's two principal cities which could see journey times cut to less than 30 minutes.
Deputy first minister Nicola Sturgeon launched the proposal in Glasgow last week despite a lack of details concerning cost and the intended route.Speaking at the launch, she said: "We will not wait for Westminster to bring high-speed rail to us. We have already made moves towards seeing a high-speed line in Scotland and the evidence is now in place that this is feasible long before the HS2 proposals.
"The Scottish Government will now enter into talks with our partners in both cities and the rail industry to see how we can work together to see this vision realised: a Glasgow-Edinburgh high-speed line which can connect to the network from England."
http://www.journal-online.co.uk/article ... _proposals
No business case for HS2 going to Scotland? There was no business case for HS2 in England at one point. Now there is, apparently, at least as far as Birmingham. Whatever happened to 'build it and they will come?' Is the track not dual use so that existing trains can run on it, too? I don't know, so I am just asking. But I do know that it takes minimum of sixteen-and-a-half hours and four trains to cover the overland rail bit of the journey from here to my best friend's family home, and that's not counting getting across London, or the bus to the ferry terminal, the ferry, then the bus the rest of the way to the door. They're twenty to twenty-four hours or more away from me. Almost the same as to my cousin in Auckland, NZ. Both journeys cost a fortune, and once you're spending a fortune (although not quite the same fortune) you might as well spend a bit more to get there faster. But the plan's supposed to be to get people onto public transport and away from cars and 'planes – and that means improving existing tracks and trains and building new routes, surely.
As far as I know, existing trains could run on the HS route but running fast and slow trains on the same track has safety and operational issues. I believe the plan is to run the HSTs at maximum speed to Birmingham (or wherever) then for them to continue on the existing network, at current speeds, further North (so there would be some time savings for passengers from London to Scotland).
Part of the time savings would be due to a reduced number of stops. Fine if you want to go to Birmingham, less so if you have to get a connecting train back to where you actually want to be!
I just looked at the rail fares. The cheapest Edinburgh to London return is £134 (very restricted number of trains) or £209 (off peak). The return air fare can be around £75. Given that the HS2 trains are likely to be more expensive than existing trains, I can't see them attracting many passengers between London and Scotland.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Performance artist chunky marks new film - its long, but mostly interviews so can be listened to in the background. A look at a variety of topics.

http://bambuser.com/v/5539544" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Streets are packed in Valencia spain, live now
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... di-toksvig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stephen Fry and Sandi Toksvig - and Magna Carta at Hay

And a look at values.......