Bank Holiday Monday 25th May

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Bank Holiday Monday 25th May

Post by citizenJA »

I should believe the Tory party is all about the below why, now?
Please read the lies below.
Housing crisis? North-South divide? Letting down the poorest? Inequality? Tatters? Unemployment?
'lattefied'? All those Labour's problem? And Tories are about hope & working party? Say WHAT?
Fight back - this is full blown Tory propaganda - lies - I'm utterly disgusted by the temerity of this bulls***.
Renewal’s goal is to broaden the appeal of the Conservative Party, so it is able to win sustainable majorities and govern alone for lengthy periods of time.
http://www.renewalgroup.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A VISION FOR 2020
At Renewal, we believe that this Conservative-led
Government has helped the same working people who were
so badly let down by Labour. Labour left the economy in
tatters, with soaring unemployment, inequality at its widest
level ever, a schools system that was letting down the
poorest, a North-South divide that was getting wider by the
year and a housing crisis that Labour allowed to escalate.
http://www.renewalgroup.org.uk/wp-conte ... esto-2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BEYOND THE PARTY OF THE RICH
The Conservative Party has a huge opportunity to become the party of choice for
ordinary working people. As the Labour Party becomes ‘lattefied’ and ever more
out of touch with its traditional, working class support base, the Conservatives
can fill the gap to become the new ‘worker’s party’.
http://www.renewalgroup.org.uk/wp-conte ... s_v1.0.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

ohsocynical wrote:As it's the Daily Mirror I won't moan too much, but honestly. I hate bloody articles like this.
If you're relying on food banks or very little money to feed yourself, you're going to have a job keeping a decent store cupboard of spices etc.

She didn't have enough money to buy oil.

Doubtful if you can afford to keep a freezer running and it's certainly not sensible if you've little to put in it so that rules out the frozen vegetables she is using.

And grinding oats? Only if you're lucky enough to have a food processor.

And dammit. She also used a computer to see which shops had the best bargains and bought from them. If you're that hard up, you can't afford bus fares, let alone own a car, so you have to use the nearest supermarket. And I'd have sold or hocked the computer to buy extra food a long time ago....
I don't like the on-line Mirror, most of it is sleb-crap or depressing sensationalism - like the Sun but with a different political slant. :roll:

Grinding oats? :shock: Why would you do that?. I buy a big bag of rolled oats, (porridge, bread, biscuits, etc.), cheap enough and it lasts a long time.
Hunting out bargains in different shops depends how far apart the shops are, it can be counter productive.

And I don't like her recipes anyway.
Moan...mumble... moan... tut... grumble... moan...

:D
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
MagsNews ‏@MagsNews 44 mins44 minutes ago

Living standards are in decline across society. But shame prevents the well-off from showing solidarity Zoe Williams

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -standards
Wait til they can't afford to feel shame.

Then listen to the complaints.
But... but... the Tory party are making the world great for everyone!
The Tory party say so.
They wouldn't lie would they?
Yes, Tories lie.
Stockholm syndrome - that's what they're reaching for, Tories.
Get people to identify with the party of the Bedroom Tax, Royal Mail sell-off, lowest home completions in decades, food banks increasing, zero hour contracts, insecurely housed, NHS sold off, economy in deflation, sick & disabled people not receiving their just provision, no new jobs, nothing of quality being down in this country for most people. There's too much for me to list here.
But that god awful website is terrifying.
Tories are obviously hoping we'll all love big brother in the end.
Someone please give me something cheerful because I'm beside myself.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

A good blog site. Labour need to print off these facts and send them to every household in the country.
BREAKING ONS DATA CONFIRMS HOW OSBORNE LIED ABOUT JOB CREATION AND A HEALTHY ECONOMY

https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2015/05/20 ... y-economy/
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:A good blog site. Labour need to print off these facts and send them to every household in the country.
BREAKING ONS DATA CONFIRMS HOW OSBORNE LIED ABOUT JOB CREATION AND A HEALTHY ECONOMY

Thank you, Ohso!
I notice the website you've posted has links to the actual data compiled to support the truth rather than statements written as though I should take Tory's word for it.
However, the contempt meted out to the former Labour party leader isn't fair. Anyone paying attention needs to know anything left-wing is going to get a lot of hell in most media. That's not the fault of those not listened to. Mainstream press belonging to people with all the money & influence are to blame for message twisted or ignored.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Did the Conservatives Really Win the General Election?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/adriano ... _hp_ref=tw
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Swarthlander wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:As it's the Daily Mirror I won't moan too much, but honestly. I hate bloody articles like this.
If you're relying on food banks or very little money to feed yourself, you're going to have a job keeping a decent store cupboard of spices etc.

Doubtful if you can afford to keep a freezer running and it's certainly not sensible if you've little to put in it so that rules out the frozen vegetables she is using.

And dammit. She also used a computer to see which shops had the best bargains and bought from them. If you're that hard up, you can't afford bus fares, let alone own a car, so you have to use the nearest supermarket. And I'd have sold or hocked the computer to buy extra food a long time ago....
I don't like the on-line Mirror, most of it is sleb-crap or depressing sensationalism - like the Sun but with a different political slant. :roll:

Grinding oats? :shock: Why would you do that?. I buy a big bag of rolled oats, (porridge, bread, biscuits, etc.), cheap enough and it lasts a long time.
Hunting out bargains in different shops depends how far apart the shops are, it can be counter productive.

She lost me on the sorting of the frozen veg. A couple of fresh carrots, a small cabbage finely shredded and a couple of loose onions perhaps? Or kale, loose mushrooms, no freezer needed. Asian grocers offer much better variety of loose veg, various beans, little aubergines, sweet potatoes, as well as the usual and don't mind if you buy very small quantities, if you're lucky enough to have one, and do small bags of spices for about 35-50p. I'd have found much more for the money, and over time things like oil and basic spices become affordable. Actually even my cheap greengrocers carries stuff that works out very cheap.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Margaret Thatcher's deregulation of the City a myth, says thinktank

The free-market thinktank that inspired many of Margaret Thatcher’s reforms has now turned critic of the Iron Lady’s shakeup of the City in the 1980s, suggesting it increased state regulation of the financial sector, making it too burdensome.

While the left has blamed the liberalisation of finance under Thatcher for the crisis that paralysed the banking system and led to the deepest UK recession of the post-war era, the Institute for Economic Affairs says the 1980s involved private regulation being replaced by less effective statutory regulation.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ity-london" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please, f*** the hell off.
Not a good title at all. The content proves it wrong, the left weren't & aren't wrong & the credibility of the IFA is demolished.
Some more black is white white is black doubleplus ungood nonsense.
Another commentator here wrote earlier up the thread about disconcerting news article content, confusing, not making sense. Another one here - confusing, contradictory information floating nebulously making little point but using up words nonetheless.
You know what, IFA, take your Margaret Thatcher fan club, the financial sector & every one of those 'over-regulating state sector burdens' into the Atlantic Ocean & have a nice swim. Why in the world would any sane person listen to the 'free-market think-tank' inspiring Thatcher now. No reason.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
Did the Conservatives Really Win the General Election?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/adriano ... _hp_ref=tw
No.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

citizenJA wrote:
Margaret Thatcher's deregulation of the City a myth, says thinktank

The free-market thinktank that inspired many of Margaret Thatcher’s reforms has now turned critic of the Iron Lady’s shakeup of the City in the 1980s, suggesting it increased state regulation of the financial sector, making it too burdensome.

While the left has blamed the liberalisation of finance under Thatcher for the crisis that paralysed the banking system and led to the deepest UK recession of the post-war era, the Institute for Economic Affairs says the 1980s involved private regulation being replaced by less effective statutory regulation.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ity-london" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please, f*** the hell off.
Not a good title at all. The content proves it wrong, the left weren't & aren't wrong & the credibility of the IFA is demolished.
Some more black is white white is black doubleplus ungood nonsense.
Another commentator here wrote earlier up the thread about disconcerting news article content, confusing, not making sense. Another one here - confusing, contradictory information floating nebulously making little point but using up words nonetheless.
You know what, IFA, take your Margaret Thatcher fan club, the financial sector & every one of those 'over-regulating state sector burdens' into the Atlantic Ocean & have a nice swim. Why in the world would any sane person listen to the 'free-market think-tank' inspiring Thatcher now. No reason.
They've been re-writing history and peoples memories for a while now, Citizen. All our dystopias come true. But fellow citizens are moving now, though our spring is now vanishing. Hope you take the time to watch the taxi driver, he's not so shouty, his guests do the talking.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

seeingclearly wrote:
Swarthlander wrote:

She lost me on the sorting of the frozen veg. A couple of fresh carrots, a small cabbage finely shredded and a couple of loose onions perhaps? Or kale, loose mushrooms, no freezer needed. Asian grocers offer much better variety of loose veg, various beans, little aubergines, sweet potatoes, as well as the usual and don't mind if you buy very small quantities, if you're lucky enough to have one, and do small bags of spices for about 35-50p. I'd have found much more for the money, and over time things like oil and basic spices become affordable. Actually even my cheap greengrocers carries stuff that works out very cheap.
We don't have any stores like that in Bracknell. I just thank goodness we've an Aldi right across the road. I think there's one Asian store and that's mainly an off licence. Neighbourhood stores are either Co-ops or Newsagents that do a bit of food for convenience...The're dead expensive though. You'd starve if you had to buy from them. No butchers at all. And I think the greengrocers went recently. They were in our small town centre, but that's being rebuilt so the few small businesses that were there have given up and stopped trading.
When the new buildings go up, it'll be Tapas bars, restaurants and a multiplex cinema, [although we already have one of those] also a small M&S, and for the plebs a Primart.

I was in WHSmith the other day, [It's a big store] and there were three customers. I had to call out for someone to come to the till.

In Boots, looking for tea tree oil products, [which they didn't have] I waited for nearly five minutes for someone to come to the til, despite one of the assistants going to rake the cashier out of the back room.
I lost patience, left the solitary item I was going to buy on the counter and walked out.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Mon 25 May, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:A good blog site. Labour need to print off these facts and send them to every household in the country.

Thank you, Ohso!
I notice the website you've posted has links to the actual data compiled to support the truth rather than statements written as though I should take Tory's word for it.
However, the contempt meted out to the former Labour party leader isn't fair. Anyone paying attention needs to know anything left-wing is going to get a lot of hell in most media. That's not the fault of those not listened to. Mainstream press belonging to people with all the money & influence are to blame for message twisted or ignored.
Still, the populace needs to grow a bit more discerning, no? With about three quarters of us disatisfied then it's time to get savvy. I noticed John MacDonnells new site has an article advocating citizen education.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

seeingclearly wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Thank you, Ohso!
Still, the populace needs to grow a bit more discerning, no? With about three quarters of us disatisfied then it's time to get savvy. I noticed John MacDonnells new site has an article advocating citizen education.
On Twitter earlier today, someone who'd been doorstepping during the Labour campaign said more than one person asked what fracking was....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Thank you, Ohso!
I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Thank you for responding to my posts.
Apologies for posting such negative information.
The content on some websites, in some articles is unbelievable, literally.
The misinformation must be countered effectively with truth.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I hope some of our absent friends at least pop in occasionally, because this board isn't going to survive with just a few of us trying to keep it going.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:I hope some of our absent friends at least pop in occasionally, because this board isn't going to survive with just a few of us trying to keep it going.
Take comfort from the fact that it's a Bank Holiday and relatively quiet on the news front.

But yes, it would be good if there were more of us.

On that note, I'll say it's bloody freezing here and -

Goodnight, everyone.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

ohsocynical wrote:I hope some of our absent friends at least pop in occasionally, because this board isn't going to survive with just a few of us trying to keep it going.
Still lurking whilst working behind the bar! I promise to try harder - I've got some more unusual cover versions to post in The Pub in the meantime. Johnny Cash covering the Nine Inch Nails, for starters.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

ohsocynical wrote: We don't have any stores like that in Bracknell. I just thank goodness we've an Aldi right across the road. I think there's one Asian store and that's mainly an off licence. Neighbourhood stores are either Co-ops or Newsagents that do a bit of food for convenience...The're dead expensive though. You'd starve if you had to buy from them. No butchers at all. And I think the greengrocers went recently. They were in our small town centre, but that's being rebuilt so the few small businesses that were there have given up and stopped trading.
When the new buildings go up, it'll be Tapas bars, restaurants and a multiplex cinema, [although we already have one of those] also a small M&S, and for the plebs a Primart.

I was in WHSmith the other day, [It's a big store] and there were three customers. I had to call out for someone to come to the till.

In Boots, looking for tea tree oil products, [which they didn't have] I waited for nearly five minutes for someone to come to the til, despite one of the assistants going to rake the cashier out of the back room.
I lost patience, left the solitary item I was going to buy on the counter and walked out.
This month's "Which" magazine published a list of 100 major shops, rated by their customers. W H Smith was 99th out of the hundred. (Only EE were rated worse). The top rated were Lush and John Lewis.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
citizenJA wrote: Thank you, Ohso!
On Twitter earlier today, someone who'd been doorstepping during the Labour campaign said more than one person asked what fracking was....
I hope they were able to give them information or get back to them with information.
Hydraulic fracturing isn't safe in any country; in the UK it's nothing short of madness - absolute disaster. The process uses too much water & runs a great risk of contaminating water tables with chemicals used in the process. Some people will try to tell you the chemicals are harmless, small quantities, etcetera. It's poison to life as used in fracking.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
Take comfort from the fact that it's a Bank Holiday and relatively quiet on the news front.

Goodnight, everyone.

It was cloudy but warm earlier, but cold now. I've just put my warm dressing gown on...

Night PF :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:

Goodnight, everyone.
Goodnight, PorFavor
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:

Goodnight, everyone.

It was cloudy but warm earlier, but cold now. I've just put my warm dressing gown on...

Night PF :)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Your efforts on a quiet news day are noted, don't worry :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hobiejoe wrote:
Still lurking whilst working behind the bar! I promise to try harder - I've got some more unusual cover versions to post in The Pub in the meantime. Johnny Cash covering the Nine Inch Nails, for starters.
Ah Johnny Cash. One of Mr Ohso's favourites. I know the words to quite a lot of his earlier songs...I used to have to play them and take the words off...[Pre-computer days]
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ohso - likewise have much appreciated your efforts today - and also Citizen's and others (and also worrying a bit). Am in concerted effort to finish massive bit of work and hope to contribute more from end of June.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Your efforts on a quiet news day are noted, don't worry :)
Not so much worried for me, but it's likely to turn people off if it looks too quiet and one sided.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

ohsocynical wrote:
EU referendum voting rights will not be extended to all UK citizens living abroad
Despite Grant Shapps’ promise last year, the government rules out giving voting rights to British nationals living overseas for 15 years or more

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw
1st u-turn of the new term?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well at least they're not extending voting rights to the French (If they did, we'd probably be out of the EU):
French-born SNP MSP cannot vote in EU referendum
Christian Allard, SNP MSP for North East Scotland, will be disqualified under Prime Minister David Cameron’s plan to use the general election franchise for voters who will be eligible in the referendum.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3782858
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ohsocynical wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
Swarthlander wrote: I don't like the on-line Mirror, most of it is sleb-crap or depressing sensationalism - like the Sun but with a different political slant. :roll:

We don't have any stores like that in Bracknell. I just thank goodness we've an Aldi right across the road. I think there's one Asian store and that's mainly an off licence. Neighbourhood stores are either Co-ops or Newsagents that do a bit of food for convenience...The're dead expensive though. You'd starve if you had to buy from them. No butchers at all. And I think the greengrocers went recently. They were in our small town centre, but that's being rebuilt so the few small businesses that were there have given up and stopped trading.

Yes, Aldi and Lidl are surprisingly good on some things. My Asian shop is right opposite Sainsburys, but then there are plenty like it here anyway. I've been to places with even less than you have, a kind of extended newsagents, a chip shop and that's it. But lots of people who do have thnic type shops, Asian, Chinese or even Polish won't use them. Sounds like your new development is finished it will cater to those with more affluent lives and people on low incomes will be disregarded. I've long championed the idea of Veg vans to places with little provision, we do in fact have local delivery services now that do low cost fruit and veg, not the high premium organic stuff. They do good produce too.

The thing about any kind of service these days is it seems almost non existent. It's such a contrast to my other 'home' where I found a wonderfully cascading down society, where it's the norm for people to be helpful, take the time to find out each other's needs, and where you can get anything at all done easily, for very little. My travel bag, not even full, split as I was leaving to go there, we taped it up with gaffer tape, and I thought I'd have to buy another. My SIL bore it off when I arrived, and returned with it the next day, invisibly repaired! But that's just a trivial example, the taxi and tuktuk drivers wait for you and don't charge extra, people come to clear your drains and gutters, sell you fresh fish and seafood, deliver newly baked bread, well they'll do almost anything. They aren't subservient, and they aren't sulky, and somehow everything functions well. And even very poor people have excellent teeth!

My son was surprised because on the face of it the buildings and infrastructure seem a bit ramshackle, but on closer inspection things were clean and orderly, little gets wasted, and nearly everyone works to some degree or other. People who were servants, in former times, now have similar care and service roles, but are fed exactly the same meals as their employers, in addition to their pay, it would be considered rude to do otherwise. And everyone except the incapable will do their own plates and dishes, so no one gets left with the grotty stuff. Of course if you want pizza it costs! But people could and did cook fresh food twice a day, it was affordable, by workers, and proportionately much cheaper than food is here.

It was hard coming back, tbh, to our stifling society where people are unable to move without the state breathing down their neck. The Tories say they are small state, but they aren't, they spend such a lot, return so little, and are very authoritarian. And we used to have grocers, fish mongers, butchers, green grocers, I guess we're reaping the whirlwind of fifty years of easy way out and not seeing where it would lead.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

On that Renewal site there's a pledge card where it says:
Renewal wants to see
– A higher minimum wage and move towards a Living Wage.

– A major affordable house building programme.

– A strong NHS

– A recovery that works for everybody

– Reaching out to trade unionists and public sector workers.

– More working class Conservative MPs
Apart from the last one isn't that the Labour pledge card more or less?
http://www.renewalgroup.org.uk/our-pledge-card/
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

seeingclearly wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
seeingclearly wrote: She lost me on the sorting of the frozen veg. A couple of fresh carrots, a small cabbage finely shredded and a couple of loose onions perhaps? Or kale, loose mushrooms, no freezer needed. Asian grocers offer much better variety of loose veg, various beans, little aubergines, sweet potatoes, as well as the usual and don't mind if you buy very small quantities, if you're lucky enough to have one, and do small bags of spices for about 35-50p. I'd have found much more for the money, and over time things like oil and basic spices become affordable. Actually even my cheap greengrocers carries stuff that works out very cheap.

Yes, Aldi and Lidl are surprisingly good on some things. My Asian shop is right opposite Sainsburys, but then there are plenty like it here anyway. I've been to places with even less than you have, a kind of extended newsagents, a chip shop and that's it. But lots of people who do have thnic type shops, Asian, Chinese or even Polish won't use them. Sounds like your new development is finished it will cater to those with more affluent lives and people on low incomes will be disregarded. I've long championed the idea of Veg vans to places with little provision, we do in fact have local delivery services now that do low cost fruit and veg, not the high premium organic stuff. They do good produce too.

The thing about any kind of service these days is it seems almost non existent. It's such a contrast to my other 'home' where I found a wonderfully cascading down society, where it's the norm for people to be helpful, take the time to find out each other's needs, and where you can get anything at all done easily, for very little. My travel bag, not even full, split as I was leaving to go there, we taped it up with gaffer tape, and I thought I'd have to buy another. My SIL bore it off when I arrived, and returned with it the next day, invisibly repaired! But that's just a trivial example, the taxi and tuktuk drivers wait for you and don't charge extra, people come to clear your drains and gutters, sell you fresh fish and seafood, deliver newly baked bread, well they'll do almost anything. They aren't subservient, and they aren't sulky, and somehow everything functions well. And even very poor people have excellent teeth!

My son was surprised because on the face of it the buildings and infrastructure seem a bit ramshackle, but on closer inspection things were clean and orderly, little gets wasted, and nearly everyone works to some degree or other. People who were servants, in former times, now have similar care and service roles, but are fed exactly the same meals as their employers, it would be considered rude to do otherwise. And everyone except the incapable will do their own plates and dishes, so no one gets left with the grotty stuff. Of course if you want pizza it costs! But people could and did cook fresh food twice a day, it was affordable, by workers, and proportionately much cheaper than food is here.

It was hard coming back, tbh, to our stifling society where people are unable to move without the state breathing down their neck. The Tories say they are small state, but they aren't, they spend such a lot, return so little, and are very authoritarian. And we used to have grocers, fish mongers, butchers, green grocers, I guess we're reaping the whirlwind of fifty years of easy way out and not seeing where it would lead.

Life is so different here from when I was small...But then I remember my age. It was quite a long time ago...Pre-supermarkets, pre-fast food shops. It was even an earlier century :D
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

citizenJA wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
citizenJA wrote: Thank you, Ohso!
I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Thank you for responding to my posts.
Apologies for posting such negative information.
The content on some websites, in some articles is unbelievable, literally.
The misinformation must be countered effectively with truth.
I'd rather know than not know, even though it make me feel a bit sick. If it's the truth it's not negative, it's good information, even if it's bad news. :hug:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I'm going to have an early night tonight...See you all tomorrow....
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:I'm going to have an early night tonight...See you all tomorrow....
Se you tomorrow - I'm around :) but not much to say as dragging that big black dog behind me again :(
I'll pop in more later in the week
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frightful_oik wrote:On that Renewal site there's a pledge card where it says:
Renewal wants to see
– A higher minimum wage and move towards a Living Wage.

– A major affordable house building programme.

– A strong NHS

– A recovery that works for everybody

– Reaching out to trade unionists and public sector workers.

– More working class Conservative MPs
Apart from the last one isn't that the Labour pledge card more or less?
http://www.renewalgroup.org.uk/our-pledge-card/
Yep, pretty much.
I've seen what current Tory government have done with the NHS, housing, wages, employment conditions, economic 'recovery', how they think & act & talk about trade unionists & public sector workers. They dare write that list of pledges.

I love you all.
Goodnight, everyone.
cJA
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just to say thank you to those of you carrying the board today. As Anatoly said - your efforts haven't gone unnoticed.

I could, like AAW, be followed by a black dog if not careful but thankfully the French Open tennis is on ITV - perfect displacement activity to keep me away from news and politics.
Working on the wild side.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Here we go again with SNP half-truths on the minimum age for voting in the EU referendum. From Angus Robertson:
“Young people are our future. It is their UK – and their Europe – so they must have their say; 16- and 17-year-olds can pay taxes, get married and join the armed forces, so it is only right and fair that they should also be entitled to vote.”
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... owered-snp
There may well be a case for 16/17 year olds being allowed to vote - but Robertson's arguments point to the opposite.
16/17 year olds cannot join the forces without the explicit consent of their parents. (If that consent is given, the military authorities continue their general education - they can't be sent to fight).
Outside Scotland, parental consent is required for a 16/17 to marry.
There is no age limit to paying most (if not all) taxes. If my 11-year old grandchild buys sweets, she pays VAT.
The SNP consider that a child requires a 'state guardian' from birth to 18.

And the press publish Robertson's words without comment! :(
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

DWP Finally Admits To ESA Sanction Safeguarding Policy https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ng-policy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

So it finally looks like Greece is going to be pushed to default by Germany. This is a mistake of epic proportions on their part, because once Greece goes the speculators will know they can drive the weaker economies out of the EZ.

Things are going to get very messy and unfortunately we have an idiot as chancellor.
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Thanks to everyone for your great posts on a quiet Bank Holiday Monday. Great links which I've read with interest, some with sadness, and some with horror. And I'm glad to see @cJA safely back from family-visiting. So, here's my belated offering, in the form of an article by Aditya Chakrabortty called, This battle will define us. We must protect our children from austerity:
So far, [the Conservatives have] been able to duck the flak on the damage they’ve done to children because the official statistics are more than two years out of date.

That all changes at the end of next month, when we get the official figures on child poverty in the year from April 2013. That year saw the launch of the bedroom tax, the welfare cap and the holding down of child benefit and child tax credit below the rate of inflation. And it’s likely to show a huge surge in child poverty – the first of many that we’ll get for the rest of this parliament. The Institute for Fiscal Studies is predicting an 80s-style explosion in the number of children living in poverty by 2020 – and every other serious organisation I’ve come across agrees. And this will have happened under a prime minister who took leadership of his party proclaiming, “I believe that poverty is an economic waste, a moral disgrace.” And all of this will have been deliberate. Those children and their families have been plunged into poverty, and had their lifelines cut off not to pay back the deficit but to make the rich richer.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ung-people

Note that I've replaced the original text "they've" with the phrase [the Conservatives have] for clarity.

Cameron is quoted in the article as saying, “I believe that poverty is an economic waste, a moral disgrace.” The author, AC, appears to interpret this phrase as I would, as suggesting a failing of Government, that the disgrace would be on those at the top of the tree, the Prime Minister and his team. I think, 'though I cannot prove, that Cameron and his pals interpret it as, "those in poverty are wastrels; they should be ashamed of themselves and be treated as a moral disgrace by their betters!"
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...