Tuesday 26th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 26th May 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Re: Tuesday 26th May 2015

Post by Swarthlander »

A most joyous ante-meridian to all. :D
The sun is shining, the birds are singing, there's no wind and it's a fairly mild morning here. 8-)

John Healey Enters The Deputy Labour Leader Race
“Labour’s going to need someone with total loyalty to the party and the leader, someone who doesn’t want that top job for themselves. It’s going to need a deputy that allows the leader to give their full attention to the country. And not spend a great deal of time trying to hold things together in the party.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/05 ... _hp_ref=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, that's the pleasantries out of the way. :roll:
I've got grass to cut and weeds to spray.

Read you later. :rock:
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all.

So Cameron's give away of what isn't his to give away - housing association properties to be sold off at up to 70% discounts to tenants who have lived in them for at least 3 years - is to be included in the Queens Speech.

All I can say is I hope the housing associations take the government to the cleaners over it.

It will reduce the amount of social housing available. Those who are lucky enough to be in social housing with well maintained and secure tenancies and fair rents - are just that - lucky.

The idea that councils will then have to build new housing to replace the sell offs on a 1 for 1 basis is unworkable - and proven to be unworkable over the years. The ratio so far achieved as quoted on Radio 4 just now is 19 sold for each new 1 built.

Sue the government please. These properties are not the government's to sell off. Most of the money behind housing association properties is raised through the banks against their secured rents .... this is madness.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Glad Toynbee has written this. Helps clarify the nonsense of the 'no difference between them' argument.
Look at the alternative Queen’s speech and wonder what might have been
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... h-miliband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... Here’s an exclusive glimpse of the bills that could have graced the goatskin parchment the Queen will slip out of the silk purse. First, a housing bill would have paved the way for 200,000 new homes a year, with planning reform and powers to stop developers sitting on unused land-banks. Plans to regulate the private rented sector included three-year leases, rents only rising with inflation.

The bedroom tax would have been abolished within a week by statutory instrument. A bill would have reformed the energy market, temporarily preventing price rises while the six companies were broken up, no longer acting as both retailer and wholesaler – a signal to all sectors where consumers feel trapped by cabals.

A labour market reform bill would have ended zero-hours contracts and abolished prohibitive fees for employment tribunals. A constitutional convention would have brought devolution for Scotland and Wales going beyond the Smith commission, accommodating English votes for English laws without making Scottish representatives second-class MPs. House of Lords reform would have been prepared, along with votes at 16. We would have been spared the EU referendum.

A bill would have repealed the marketising elements of the Health and Social Care Act, the notorious section 75 that puts every service up for private tender. The NHS would have been restored as preferred provider, with the health secretary again legally responsible for the service. Shifting the NHS to local councils’ health and wellbeing boards would have spread the devolution now happening in Manchester to all councils, integrating health and social care. A bill devolving power to city regions and counties would have gone further than George Osborne proposes. New free schools would have been stopped, instead of the 500 more Cameron promises. On railways, a bill would have created a public sector competitor free to bid for all franchises – and the badger cull would have ended...
Working on the wild side.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Glad Toynbee has written this. Helps clarify the nonsense of the 'no difference between them' argument.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... h-miliband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... Here’s an exclusive glimpse of the bills that could have graced the goatskin parchment the Queen will slip out of the silk purse. First, a housing bill would have paved the way for 200,000 new homes a year, with planning reform and powers to stop developers sitting on unused land-banks. Plans to regulate the private rented sector included three-year leases, rents only rising with inflation.

The bedroom tax would have been abolished within a week by statutory instrument. A bill would have reformed the energy market, temporarily preventing price rises while the six companies were broken up, no longer acting as both retailer and wholesaler – a signal to all sectors where consumers feel trapped by cabals.

A labour market reform bill would have ended zero-hours contracts and abolished prohibitive fees for employment tribunals. A constitutional convention would have brought devolution for Scotland and Wales going beyond the Smith commission, accommodating English votes for English laws without making Scottish representatives second-class MPs. House of Lords reform would have been prepared, along with votes at 16. We would have been spared the EU referendum.

A bill would have repealed the marketising elements of the Health and Social Care Act, the notorious section 75 that puts every service up for private tender. The NHS would have been restored as preferred provider, with the health secretary again legally responsible for the service. Shifting the NHS to local councils’ health and wellbeing boards would have spread the devolution now happening in Manchester to all councils, integrating health and social care. A bill devolving power to city regions and counties would have gone further than George Osborne proposes. New free schools would have been stopped, instead of the 500 more Cameron promises. On railways, a bill would have created a public sector competitor free to bid for all franchises – and the badger cull would have ended...
Good if depressing piece by Polly. Comments section is full of gloating half wits peddling the usual misinformed tripe.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I'm watching John Redwood on BBC News 24 and finding I'm sick of the EU referendum already. If I'm not around as much as I was it will because talking about the Tory government and all their regressive and destructive policies is just too depressing when there is so little hope of stopping them. Especially with Surgeon wittering on now with absolutely no interruptions from the BBC interviewer. The conspiracy to block, silence and undermine Labour as the main party of opposition that can actually stop the Tories continues....
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Pity there isn't a bill in the Queen's speech to curb Sturgeon's grandstanding.
The First Minister confirmed she is to push for a “double majority” to be included in the EU referendum - likely to be staged in 2017 - which would mean all four nations of the UK must back withdrawal before exit is possible. She is to make a keynote speech to EU chiefs on the issue in Brussels next week.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3783222
She was elected to administer the day to day running of devolved matters - health, education, agriculture etc - the EU is not in her remit (Scotland is not a member in its own right).

In the meantime:
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has acknowledged that Scottish education is not good enough, with a decline in reading and writing skills and too many deprived children held back unfairly and denied the opportunity to go to university.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/ ... -1-3783135
A recent survey of literacy and numeracy found there had been a drop in standards in both reading and writing, and Education Secretary Angela Constance said earlier this week some children are “failed by school”.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/ ... -1-3779850
The amputation was halted when surgeons and operating theatre staff realised they did not have suitable equipment and they discussed how they should proceed.
It was decided to send a worker to a nearby branch of B&Q to see whether a suitable instrument or tool could be found that could cut through the plate.
However, the hardware store was closed, as the operation at Ayr Hospital was being carried out in the evening.
Medics searched for an alternative instrument and discovered a “rusty hacksaw” from old hospital stock lying in a store.
As a last resort, it was disinfected and the operation went ahead but staff who were present later raised concerns with management.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/ayr ... -1-3781894
MORE than 80 medics at a major cancer unit have warned that a shake-up of hospital services poses “significant risks” to patient safety.
Doctors at the Beatson West of Scotland Cancer Centre (BWoSCC) in Glasgow have written a letter outlining the “desperate situation” facing patients, staff and the cancer service which serves more than half of Scotland.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/can ... -1-3780442
:fire:
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Glad Toynbee has written this. Helps clarify the nonsense of the 'no difference between them' argument.

Evenimoraftingtons all....

I don't want to seem snidey, but surely this sort of thing would have been a lot more useful if the Graun had shouted it loud and clear before the election?..but - of course, it took them ages to decide that perhaps the useful idiot, Calamity Clegg, and his Lost Deposits weren't worth backing and Milibands Labour was the way forward....was it 2 or 3 days before the vote? (rhetorical). A sort of 'they're all sh1t, but we like the yellow ones...no, no...we like the red ones....oh, but look at what you could've won...oh, but bad luck!...more Callous Cameron and his merry band of Murkydochian Monsters for you then...and we'll be off to somewhere nice and calming to reflect on how tough it'll be for the poor poor, whilst basking in our righteousness with some nice chilled Sauvingnon.'

...and apparently energy pre-payment meters are in the news....some people being placed on them through Court Order without the proper procedures being followed...really? As usual, colour me shocked. Are the energy companies still charging a 30% premium for having a pre-payment meter? Charging people who already can't afford their bills even more? The piece I heard this AM (R5/Chiles again) had a bigwig from the energy companies (might have been Ofgem or a supplier - like politicians, they're all the same....aren't they?) talking in very concerned tones about the treatment of some of their poorest/most vulnerable customers. Apparently, we have to understand though - 'this is just a symptom - many of the people we're talking about have many other issues to deal with with regards to budgeting....so we need to interfere in their lives to show/teach them how to budget and turn their lives around'....(multiple expletives deleted). Tin-foil hat on - this is just another example of the total disconnect between those on the 'inside' (who are right because they were born that way or they've passed a course and someone told them they'd be right forever) and the reality faced by so many - if you receive £100 per week but your outgoings are £101, no amount of 'teaching' and 'showing' is going to rectify the deficit (or is it a debt....perhaps I should ask Clouncy Funt to get Gidiot to clarify) - enslavement through debt...whether it's TCCBACs mate Beecroft, the unfightable court system, Workfare, benefits destruction or any one of the myriad other 'schemes'...all employed by the Thatcherite-Raygunite-Murkydochian 'new world order' to entrench an 'entitled' class and the rest...well, if you don't denounce 'caring and compassion' (or at least show an absolute lack of understanding and empathy), you've no chance of sliding up the greasy pole.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
France and Germany agree closer eurozone ties without EU treaty change

Proposals to be presented at EU summit in June will come as a blow to David Cameron who will table British pre-referendum demands at same meeting (Guardian)
David Cameron will regret setting this train in motion. He doesn't have the skills needed to drive it safely. In one sense I'm glad that it points up his ineptitude - but in another, I can see this all slipping further out of control; and an EU exit is not something I want to happen.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
France and Germany agree closer eurozone ties without EU treaty change

Proposals to be presented at EU summit in June will come as a blow to David Cameron who will table British pre-referendum demands at same meeting (Guardian)
David Cameron will regret setting this train in motion. He doesn't have the skills needed to drive it safely. In one sense I'm glad that it points up his ineptitude - but in another, I can see this all slipping further out of control; and an EU exit is not something I want to happen.
Apparently he's going to see all 27 EC leaders, so they'll all know for certain how useless he is.

With hindsight, I should have realised the GE was lost when I saw a poll a couple of weeks before, over 40% thought TCC was 'well-respected in the world'. Just how out of touch with reality can people be?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

From AS blog
Umunna and his team ........................................ highlight three prevalent questions facing the party:

1. How to deliver excellent public services at a time when money is tight?
my bold

There's the problem, right there. :wall:

My number 1 question would be how to teach enough of the electorate economics, so they'd understand the nonsense of this.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Not really relevant to this board but my old infant school has made the news. Commentator BTL nails the newspaper's nastiness.
http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-s ... story.html
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Polly Toynbee was fighting the good fight *before* the election, to give her due credit. Shame about so many other Graun hacks :wall:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://labourlist.org/2015/05/why-p-r-w ... y-saviour/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I totally agree with this article. I think I'm going to need to make a list of key points to look for when the leadership hopefuls lay out their proposals so I don't forget to check their stance on various critical points. A push for PR is becoming more and more urgent. Cameron is currently telling other members of the EU that 'Britain' wants this and 'Britain' wants that, when in reality he's speaking for less than a quarter of the voting population. The mandate provided by FPTP has been eroded by multi-party politics to the point it is becoming untenable.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Willow904 wrote:http://labourlist.org/2015/05/why-p-r-w ... y-saviour/

I totally agree with this article. I think I'm going to need to make a list of key points to look for when the leadership hopefuls lay out their proposals so I don't forget to check their stance on various critical points. A push for PR is becoming more and more urgent. Cameron is currently telling other members of the EU that 'Britain' wants this and 'Britain' wants that, when in reality he's speaking for less than a quarter of the voting population. The mandate provided by FPTP has been eroded by multi-party politics to the point it is becoming untenable.
I normally agree with you Willow but on this occasion I can't.
I want a local MP from (preferably) my local area. Someone who has the interests of my constituency at heart. Maybe I don't understand PR properly but to me it seems to push MP's further away from accountability to the people they were elected to represent.
As for this statement
"There is a strong likelihood that with P.R on the ticket, many voters of the Greens and Lib Dems will switch their vote to tactically favour Labour."

I thought PR was the answer to tactical voting - a means of doing away with it - not encouraging more to vote tactically. I doubt if our Green members, who did not vote tactically in the one election where it would have made a world of difference to the outcome, would gain their Holy Grail only to then cast it aside with a tactical vote for Labour at future elections, so what is the point if, on gaining PR these one time Labour voters then return "home"?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Electoral reform is essential. I know little about how Proportional Representation (PR) will work for he UK from the article.
"For the Conservatives, the status quo in Scotland suits them fine..."
The status quo suits Tories fine everywhere.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:

I want a local MP from (preferably) my local area. Someone who has the interests of my constituency at heart. Maybe I don't understand PR properly but to me it seems to push MP's further away from accountability to the people they were elected to represent.
As for this statement
"There is a strong likelihood that with P.R on the ticket, many voters of the Greens and Lib Dems will switch their vote to tactically favour Labour."

I thought PR was the answer to tactical voting - a means of doing away with it - not encouraging more to vote tactically. I doubt if our Green members, who did not vote tactically in the one election where it would have made a world of difference to the outcome, would gain their Holy Grail only to then cast it aside with a tactical vote for Labour at future elections, so what is the point if, on gaining PR these one time Labour voters then return "home"?
I would have a agreed with you up to a few weeks ago.
Now I'm beginning to believe it's getting to the point where Labour isn't going to regain what it's lost either in direction, or voters. And the only way to keep the Cons out when they represent such a small percentage of the country, is PR. But, by the time they've done boundary changes, we'll be well and truly up the creek. Won't get the chance to vote in change.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

My only hope is that Cameron and cohorts make such an almighty mess of an event or occasion that in the tide of anger against them, with such a small majority, they'll be brought down.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:My only hope is that Cameron and cohorts make such an almighty mess of an event or occasion that in the tide of anger against them, with such a small majority, they'll be brought down.
Fair chance that will happen tbh, especially since many Tories seem to think they won with a majority of 120 not 12.

Its easy to get depressed, but remember that they aren't actually that *popular* - there is very little actual enthusiasm out there for them.

(nearly all major political parties have seen significant increases in membership this month, with one exception - the Conservatives. Quite telling that, IMO)

Another thing - if the Beeb and others are going to treat Sturgeon as the effective leader of HM Opposition, can't they at least ask her to make sure the SNP turn up to the important Commons votes; you know, like fox hunting? Silly me expecting that level of scrutiny, I know :roll:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Emma Reynolds MP, Labour’s Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, responding to Greg Clark’s interview on the Today programme about the Tories' proposals on Right to Buy, said:
"...the Tories’ numbers don’t add up. Ministers have not set out how this policy will be paid for, and housing experts have said that the plan is unworkable, unfunded and will lead to fewer affordable homes. Greg Clark said today that every home will be replaced but it was he clear he didn’t even know his own policy when he said there was no requirement to replace homes under the existing policy. The Government made the same commitment in the last Parliament - and failed miserably with only one home started to be built for every 10 homes sold. Nobody will believe their promises now.”

MAY 26, 2015 (11:48 AM)
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1199291 ... -their-own" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apologies for the small print on the UK housing completions by year.
Look at the revisions for 2010 & 2013 (Tory coalition government).
Still not enough to increase the fact Tory housebuilding completions are the lowest in decades.
The last year, 2015, is a provisional number with only England's housing completion number reported.

Please find these tables on the website below.
Before they disappear or get revised to the point of pointless.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... e-building" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
Live tables 209 house building by completions.jpg
Live tables 209 house building by completions.jpg (176.26 KiB) Viewed 10171 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Well said, AnatolyKasparov, thank you for your post.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AngryAsWell wrote:

As for this statement

I have both a Labour and a Green MEP representing my interests in the EU parliament but only a single Tory MP representing my interests in Westminster - an MP I already know will ignore all of my representations and concerns. The first seems preferable to me. Many policy aims of the opposition parties converge - PR would bring the best of them to the fore in a Coalition. More Ukip MPs seems a small price to pay to force the Tories to reflect a wide array of views than they currently do. The current Tory leadership's refusal to govern for the whole of the UK rather than just their voter base has broken our democratic system, imo.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Duncan Hothersall ‏@dhothersall 12 mins12 minutes ago

"Labour voted for £30bn cuts" line was ubiquitous in SNP campaign. Every one of their 56 MPs repeated it. Sturgeon today admits it's a lie.

Too bloody late.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:

"Labour voted for £30bn cuts" line was ubiquitous in SNP campaign. Every one of their 56 MPs repeated it. Sturgeon today admits it's a lie.

Too bloody late.
Too late for the election just gone (and, tragically, for an Ed Miliband PM (forever? I like to live in hope)) but not too late, perhaps, to wake up the electorate who might, belatedly, wake up and get at least a bit cross.

Edited to add

Of course, waking up just the once would suffice!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

[Scottish Labour deputy leader Kezia] Dugdale said: “Since the SNP took office in 2007 they have cut the budget for bursaries and grants by £40 million.
“That’s £40 million less for students who have the talent to get on in life, but don’t have the financial resources of their better off peers. It’s thousands of working class kids who have the grades to be nurses, engineers or doctors but can only get the extra support they need by borrowing more.”
However, the First Minister hit back and said that average student debt in Scotland was “much lower than anywhere else in the UK” and claimed that the Labour government elected at Westminster in 2007 had introduced fees for students.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/ ... -1-3779850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)
I'll take your word for it, Sturgeon, okay.
You didn't give a meaningful response though have you.
Kezia Dugdale reports the SNP have cut the budget for bursaries and grants by £40 million since 2007.
Whataboutery & denial of the facts on the table isn't progressive, Sturgeon.
Seriously, regular people all over the UK don't have time to listen & hear elected representatives play games.
Represent all the people with diligence & honesty or get the hell out of the way.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Duncan Hothersall ‏@dhothersall 11 mins11 minutes ago

Today @NicolaSturgeon endorsed Labour's plan to increase spending while adhering to CBR. A plan for which she condemned Labour a month ago.
I really should stop reading this sort of thing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

25 MAY 2015
BY NICOLA STURGEON
WRITING exclusively for the Daily Record, the First Minister reaffirms her commitment to improving education so all Scotland benefits.

We are also investing in new college buildings and in making sure that the courses in our colleges help young people get into work – which might be one of the reasons why youth unemployment is at a five-year low. And we are committed to keeping university education free of tuition fees. Over the next months and years, making sure the Scottish education system becomes, genuinely, one of the best in the world will be a driving and defining priority of my Government. We will not shy away from making changes – and tough decisions – if they are in the best interests of our young people.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/polit ... rs-5757414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)

Why is it necessary for Sturgeon to commit to keeping university education free of tuition fees, please?
I hadn't realised that card was on the table.
tough decisions, youth unemployment all time low, colleges existing to supply employers skilled people (big) businesses do nothing to fund

edited to add the final line I wrote above reminds me of Tory party communications.
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 26 May, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:

Today @NicolaSturgeon endorsed Labour's plan to increase spending while adhering to CBR. A plan for which she condemned Labour a month ago.
Thank you for posting the information you're reading, Ohso.
We have to know about it.
Do take care & pace yourself.
Your peace of mind & health are most important.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:

Too bloody late.

Will her handmaidens Wood & Bennett and their supporters admit it too ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:

It isn't good for one's health, that's for sure.
One of the reasons I've been avoiding online news & websites is because shouting 'I told you so' doesn't actually help !
Last edited by yahyah on Tue 26 May, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:My only hope is that Cameron and cohorts make such an almighty mess of an event or occasion that in the tide of anger against them, with such a small majority, they'll be brought down.
Fair chance that will happen tbh, especially since many Tories seem to think they won with a majority of 120 not 12.

Its easy to get depressed, but remember that they aren't actually that *popular* - there is very little actual enthusiasm out there for them.

(nearly all major political parties have seen significant increases in membership this month, with one exception - the Conservatives. Quite telling that, IMO)

Another thing - if the Beeb and others are going to treat Sturgeon as the effective leader of HM Opposition, can't they at least ask her to make sure the SNP turn up to the important Commons votes; you know, like fox hunting? Silly me expecting that level of scrutiny, I know :roll:

Their majority is 16, not 12.

There were 21 byelections in the last Parliament: but mainly as is usual in opposition seats.

The prospect of their not serving a full 5 years is extremely remote. We didn't even come close enough to hope for that, and it is clutching at straws to do so.

https://colinrtalbot.wordpress.com/2015 ... -it-looks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

You are inferring I said things that I did not, SH.

It is a simple fact that the de facto government majority is much lower now than in the last parliament.

Against that, there is the prospect of the SNP only turning up when it suits them.......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

[Sturgeon]...told the audience that the SNP government would continue to push for greater powers for Scotland.
“In particular, greater power over business taxes, employment and trade union law, the minimum wage and welfare would enable us to create jobs, grow the economy, and lift people out of poverty.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... nding-cuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Above is from Sturgeon speech given in Edinburgh today.
Devolution of tax powers to the Scottish Parliament: the Scotland Act 2012
Standard Note: SN5984
Last updated: 23 January 2015
Author: Antony Seely

At present there are two sources of revenue under the control of the Scottish Parliament: local taxes (council tax and business rates), in respect of its responsibilities for local government, and the power to impose a ‘Scottish Variable Rate’ (SVR) of income tax: that is, amending the basic rate of tax by up to 3p in the £.

The Scotland Act 2012 devolved three further powers: the power to set a Scottish rate of income tax (SRIT) from April 2016, and to introduce taxes on land transactions and on waste disposal from landfill, replacing the existing UK-wide taxes Stamp Duty Land Tax and Landfill Tax from April 2015. The Act also provides powers for new taxes to be created in Scotland and for additional taxes to be devolved, subject to certain criteria.

While the receipts from the SRIT are to accrue to the Scottish Government, HM Revenue & Customs will continue to be responsible for assessing and collecting income tax across the UK. In February 2013 the Scottish Government and HMRC agreed a memorandum on their respective responsibilities in establishing and operating the Scottish Rate.

To date the process introduced under the Act for the UK and Scottish Governments to create new devolved taxes has not been used.

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... ry/SN05984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)
I'm not convinced Sturgeon is as interested in helping people out of poverty as she claims to be.
The SNP historical record speaks for itself.
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 26 May, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Three weeks on I am still uninspired by any of the leadership candidates, I still hope that the one who comes out on top will be a stop gap leader, until, hopefully Starmer comes through, or Jarvis changes his mind, with hopefully improved family circumstances.

As it stands now my vote will probably go to Cooper, Cameron won't like facing her, she's a needly politician and I can easily see her getting under his skin.
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Their majority is 16, not 12.

There were 21 byelections in the last Parliament: but mainly as is usual in opposition seats.

The prospect of their not serving a full 5 years is extremely remote. We didn't even come close enough to hope for that, and it is clutching at straws to do so.

https://colinrtalbot.wordpress.com/2015 ... -it-looks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
16 if we assume Sinn Féin do not vote. This might be unlikely but technically the majority is 12.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Three weeks on I am still uninspired by any of the leadership candidates, I still hope that the one who comes out on top will be a stop gap leader, until, hopefully Starmer comes through, or Jarvis changes his mind, with hopefully improved family circumstances.

As it stands now my vote will probably go to Cooper, Cameron won't like facing her, she's a needly politician and I can easily see her getting under his skin.
Nah, Cooper is completely uninspiring (she hasn't "come on" in the last five years anywhere near as much as even I expected) and the "Mrs Balls" tag is an irrevocable millstone - that is unfair, but as Ed M found out that's often how it is.

Burnham looks the least bad option currently - he has improved massively since five years ago. He will have to improve further to be a success as leader, I agree......
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Sadly AK we shouldn't be talking about the least bad option, speaks volumes that we are. I agree Burnham has come on the last 5 years but the ridiculous Mid Staffs crap and lies will be a millstone around his neck, it's all so bloody depressing.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

And don't get me started on the f*****g SNP.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Sadly AK we shouldn't be talking about the least bad option, speaks volumes that we are. I agree Burnham has come on the last 5 years but the ridiculous Mid Staffs crap and lies will be a millstone around his neck, it's all so bloody depressing.
Which is why I'm not committing to him 100% until he shows he has a convincing way of dealing with it.

But it is easier to do than being Mrs Balls, I suspect - and does Labour really need more family psychodrama after the Milibrothers?

Anyway, vote CREASY for deputy. That is something I can indeed recommend wholeheartedly and with conviction 8-)

With all the deputy contenders about now, she had better bloody make the ballot :twisted:
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I think I'm not so down as everyone else. The first term of government was easy for the Tories. What flak the Liberals didn't take was passed on to Labour. They can use neither of those excuses now. I oppose the Tories not just because I believe their policies to be cruel and unfair but because, by and large, Tory MPs are useless. They rule because that's what they believe they were always destined to do. They will fail. They only survived this past term because of a reputation for competence caused by things like PPI payouts and HTB inflating the economy just enough to get it off flatline. People will eventually realise that ever rising house prices aren't a good thing and that some immigration is needed.

I think the economic poo is about to hit the business fan in a big way and this lot aren't even halfway competent to deal with it. I predict that in the course of this parliament, the Tories' reputation for economic competence will be shredded and that will only be the start of their problems. That's why Labour must not elect a leader who's offering the same as the Tories but with soothing platitudes to help the medicine go down more easily.

That's a bit longer than my usual one liner post. :D
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

More about powers devolved from the Scotland Act 2012 - an alternative perspective below.
Explaining the limited tax powers in the Scotland Act 2012
Michael Gray
17 March 2014

Clearly the Scotland Act was not the significant transfer of fiscal powers that some politicians have tried to make it out to be. Even if you generously include the ability to vary income tax as ‘control’ over that revenue, then Scotland will still only have control over 15% of its total revenue.

Polls show that a big majority of Scottish voters support the devolution of more tax powers to Scotland. Yet when the opportunity arose to do just that, 85% was kept at Westminster and Scotland’s share was only increased by a marginal amount.

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/ex ... -act-2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't understand the second paragraph.
'A big majority of Scottish voters support further devolution of more tax powers in Scotland'
What opportunity arose to devolve more tax powers is the author referring to?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:And don't get me started on the f*****g SNP.
I apologise & understand.
I've posted quite enough on that subject today.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

citizenJA wrote:

Electoral reform is essential. I know little about how Proportional Representation (PR) will work for he UK from the article.
"For the Conservatives, the status quo in Scotland suits them fine..."
The status quo suits Tories fine everywhere.
I'm not sure that electoral reform will deliver any better without extensive parliamentary reform. I also think PR works less well in the absence of a written constitution. The reason I posted a link on Spain's system is because it has actually in a relatively small period of time faced major change and working witha very strong PR system, that has up till now mainly delivered a two party system. Now shifting somewhat. Looking just at how they have accommodated variable constituencies, as we would have to do, and how it addresses regional representation and urban cohorts gives rise to something not dissimilar to the UK. I'm of the opinion the if you go for change you have to make it strong and fair from the outset, I'm not sure that would happen from our current position, I just don't trust the Tories to do anything that wouldn't disparately advantage them over all others.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

frightful_oik wrote:I think I'm not so down as everyone else. The first term of government was easy for the Tories. What flak the Liberals didn't take was passed on to Labour. They can use neither of those excuses now. I oppose the Tories not just because I believe their policies to be cruel and unfair but because, by and large, Tory MPs are useless. They rule because that's what they believe they were always destined to do. They will fail. They only survived this past term because of a reputation for competence caused by things like PPI payouts and HTB inflating the economy just enough to get it off flatline. People will eventually realise that ever rising house prices aren't a good thing and that some immigration is needed.

I think the economic poo is about to hit the business fan in a big way and this lot aren't even halfway competent to deal with it. I predict that in the course of this parliament, the Tories' reputation for economic competence will be shredded and that will only be the start of their problems. That's why Labour must not elect a leader who's offering the same as the Tories but with soothing platitudes to help the medicine go down more easily.

I agree. Labour need to be ready with a genuine alternative to Tory economic orthodoxy because in a few years time it will become apparent to all that the status quo is unsustainable. They will need real solutions for the problems created by an aging population ( and be up to the job of explaining why immigration is part of that solution mix) and I personally feel that Labour needs to be much more forward with arguments in favour of constitutional reform, although I accept others are less convinced by this and may be right it may make life harder for Labour but I still feel it would be better for the UK as a whole.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

citizenJA wrote:

Wasn't have a go at you JA, honestly, my head has been under the parapet, pillow for nearly three weeks, when it comes out from those comfort zones it is met with headlines which has me spitting expletives, the first by election they lose I will drunk, and I will even think the inevitable hangover the following day will be worth it.

Take today, a Sturgeon condemns Tory cuts, what did she expect, she harked on about Miliband and the SNP, him needing them, knowing full well it played to Tory advantages her continuously talking about such events, I don't care, still convinced it was pincer movement from both sides, Tories no longer care about the union, one nation conservatism is as dead as the dodo, and the nationalists want independence, both backs scratched.. Anyway old ground now.

Creasy will get my DL vote, that's been a shoo-in since she announced, we can agree on that.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Excuse the typos and appalling grammar on my last venting of spleen, on my phone, pathetic excuse but it will have to do.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frightful_oik wrote:I think I'm not so down as everyone else. The first term of government was easy for the Tories. What flak the Liberals didn't take was passed on to Labour. They can use neither of those excuses now. I oppose the Tories not just because I believe their policies to be cruel and unfair but because, by and large, Tory MPs are useless. They rule because that's what they believe they were always destined to do. They will fail. They only survived this past term because of a reputation for competence caused by things like PPI payouts and HTB inflating the economy just enough to get it off flatline. People will eventually realise that ever rising house prices aren't a good thing and that some immigration is needed.

Exactly. To put someone in place who will play the Conservative game by the Conservatives' rules would be an enormous mistake as they (the Conservatives) are, I think , likely to be found out in the not too far distant future. It will make Labour as unworthy of support as them.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Citizens Advice & New Policy Institute (NPI) - A nation of renters - 21 May 2015

Despite the growing need for security as the number of children in the sector has risen, the private rental sector is still an unsettled place. More than a third of all privately renting households moved into their current property in just the last year, and average tenure lengths remain far shorter than in other tenures. This is not a case of families moving on quickly to buy their first home; while 61 per cent of private renters still say they plan to buy a home in the future, the median private renter is less than one twentieth of their way towards saving for an average first deposit.

The average rent paid for private rental properties that are unsafe is £157 a week meaning that, in total, private landlords are paid £5.6 billion a year in rent for unsafe homes, £1.3 billion of which is paid by the state in the form of housing benefit.

These striking findings make one thing unavoidably clear: the state of the private rental sector in England is one of the central challenges of this parliament.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/a-nation-of-renters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Globa ... enters.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tory lanlors hep no one but theysef
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Willow904

Oh, well - sorry to repeat your post almost word for word!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Wasn't have a go at you JA, honestly, my head has been under the parapet, pillow for nearly three weeks, when it comes out from those comfort zones it is met with headlines which has me spitting expletives, the first by election they lose I will drunk, and I will even think the inevitable hangover the following day will be worth it.

Take today, a Sturgeon condemns Tory cuts, what did she expect, she harked on about Miliband and the SNP, him needing them, knowing full well it played to Tory advantages her continuously talking about such events, I don't care, still convinced it was pincer movement from both sides, Tories no longer care about the union, one nation conservatism is as dead as the dodo, and the nationalists want independence, both backs scratched.. Anyway old ground now.

Creasy will get my DL vote, that's been a shoo-in since she announced, we can agree on that.
Don't you worry, please, letsskiptotheleft.
I agree with you.
The facts & record are before us all.

The worse news I've ever heard was on the morning of 8 May 2015.
I've woken up to some bad days, too.
So that's saying a lot.
I'm not kidding.

Please know you're in my thoughts & we'll wake to finer days, I tell you we will.