Sat 30 to Sun 31 May - don't say it's another bank holiday

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Sat 30 to Sun 31 May - don't say it's another bank holid

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
...London mayor, Boris Johnson...returned to the Commons as the Tory MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip...
This information had escaped my attention until today.

There was a lot going on after the election so understandable that you missed it.

Still, at least it was only Johnson, and not Farage as well, that got elected.
Thank heaven for small mercies.
Agreed.

I've not researched the website below in depth but I've great respect for Thich Nhat Hanh.
The page is from Plum Village.

http://plumvillage.org/about/internatio ... directory/
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Have just discovered that "restauranteur" is spelt without the "n".
What a language!
Are yu sure ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@tinyclanger2

Thigs you did't kow you did't kow.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have read that Murdoch has u-turned on the EU, now saying we must stay in.
Must be something in it for him or his evil empire.

edited to add:
The old goat says :
Rupert Murdoch ‏@rupertmurdoch 2h2 hours ago
Weird leap by Mail on Sunday alleging a big u-turn by me in supporting Brit staying in EU. Misunderstanding somewhere.

So who do we believe ? Murdoch or John Major ?
Major said it was a private dinner also attended by his wife and Elisabeth Murdoch. He added that Murdoch wanted Britain to withdraw from the European Union, but he made it clear at the meeting that was not going to happen.

He said he remembered the meeting because it was not very often that someone made such a direct demand of a prime minister and linked it to their organisation's support.
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/j ... john-major" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 31 May, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
...London mayor, Boris Johnson...returned to the Commons as the Tory MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip...
This information had escaped my attention until today.

There was a lot going on after the election so understandable that you missed it.

Still, at least it was only Johnson, and not Farage as well, that got elected.
Thank heaven for small mercies.
Maybe, at least Farage winning would have p***ed the Tories off.......

Actually, it hasn't been widely noticed that BoJo's election result wasn't that spectacular - backs my hunch that "Peak Boris" was reached a few years ago.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

"And he did not, repeat did not, repeat DID NOT mention “welfare” even once. Nor did he use the term “workshy”. Why should this matter? Ah well. Those are the terms that suggest Burnham, or any of the other leadership hopefuls, are fighting their campaign on ground approved by the right-wing press and commentariat. Their use is meant to wind up the left and precipitate the kinds of splits that are meat and drink to the media."
http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... e-not.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The media spin again....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Have you all taken a look at this?
Published 22 May 2015
The day after the election the British Polling Council announced it was going to have an inquiry into what went wrong with the polls, we’ve now got some more information about how the inquiry is going to proceed. Over on the National Centre for Research Methods website they have announced the membership of the inquiry team, timings and terms of reference.

The terms of reference for the inquiry are to assess the accuracy of the 2015 polls and investigate the cause of any inaccuracy, whether it’s connected to inaccuracy at previous elections, to look into the possibility of herding, to see if enough information was provided and communicated to people about how polls were done and what they meant and make recommendations on how polls are conducted and published in the future and on the rules and obligations of the BPC.

The inquiry are inviting written submissions via their website, and there will be a public meeting on the 19th June – it’s due to report to the BPC and MRS by the 1st March next year.
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just looked up Bozo's win. I see what Anatoly means.

Conservative Boris Johnson 22,511 50.2 +2.0%
Labour Chris Summers 11,816 26.4 +3.0 %
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Have just discovered that "restauranteur" is spelt without the "n".
What a language!
Are yu sure ?
The word restaurateur is taken directly from the French form. Although common, restauranteur with an n is a misspelling.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... staurateur" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sheer madness. I love it.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AngryAsWell wrote:"And he did not, repeat did not, repeat DID NOT mention “welfare” even once. Nor did he use the term “workshy”. Why should this matter? Ah well. Those are the terms that suggest Burnham, or any of the other leadership hopefuls, are fighting their campaign on ground approved by the right-wing press and commentariat. Their use is meant to wind up the left and precipitate the kinds of splits that are meat and drink to the media."
http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... e-not.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The media spin again....

Thanks for that link AAW.

from the piece:
''And he did not, repeat did not, repeat DID NOT mention “welfare” even once. Nor did he use the term “workshy”. Why should this matter? Ah well. Those are the terms that suggest Burnham, or any of the other leadership hopefuls, are fighting their campaign on ground approved by the right-wing press and commentariat. Their use is meant to wind up the left and precipitate the kinds of splits that are meat and drink to the media.''

Yep, make sure all the anger is sent in the direction of what a Labour spokeperson may or may not have said, and encourage the 'Labour are red Tory' brigade.
All helps benefit the so called 'anti-austerity' parties and keep the Tories in ad infinitum.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I found an old memory stick, and on it an abbreviated list of some u-turns etc. I have posted it on Troll busters.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Excellent - will go and get it - thanks!
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
What a language!
Are yu sure ?
The word restaurateur is taken directly from the French form. Although common, restauranteur with an n is a misspelling.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... staurateur" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sheer madness. I love it.
Nah - a restaurateur is a Frenchman who cleans up antique furniture - otherwise known as a French polisher.

Hmm... should that be atique furniture.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

citizenJA wrote:
yahyah wrote:Always love reading your posts SeeingClearly, and fully understand lineage/transmission as I am someone who is interested in Dharma, sadly unable to practice true tolerance as my recent feelings about the SNP and others betrays.

Am also lacking in real world sangha support so would appreciate more of your experience/understanding on such matters. Maybe a thread off the Daily Politics ?
Agreed.
Me too.
I am strictly a lapsed everything in this respect, however do understand the need for support for our inner selves, perhaps best expressed by being able to communicate on how to translate inner practice into outer action using motivation as the filter through which we see/judge/accept/translate/respond etc to events, direct and reported, in our daily life.

Tolerance is something we do have to practice, there is no perfect endpoint!

Would be happy to participate on a 'beginners mind' basis in conversation if someone would provide a start point and a thread. I used to think life was about being a work in progress, but these days feel it's more about unravelling!

As for dharma, it's got a long tradition of heated argument, and I'm up for looking at 'sacred cows' wherever they are to be found in the wider world.
----------------------------------------

On the other hand I think there's a conversation only just beginning about rights and justice, and that's how to develop universal ethics to underpin them. We've seen an awful shrinkage of ethics not just in public life and private interests, but also in wider society and globally. With some devastating consequences. Nothing at all is incorruptible. A longer view tells us that. takes many minds to find good solutions to our human problems. Something I think our Tory friends have very little appreciation for.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

One of the things that made me feel so bad before and after the election was that all my normal feelings of connection with others & belief in working together went out of the window.
As it often does with politics.

Am reading about Jung at the moment and an author made an interesting point when addressing whether or not Jung had been anti-semitic or pro-Nazi.

The respected analyst and psychiatrist says of Jung's detractors (after examining evidence from the time) ''....one possibility is that they have not worked sufficiently on their own repressed Fascist, anti-semitic or anti-Christian shadow and enjoy the glow of self righteousness that comes as they project them onto Jung'.

Maybe that's something we all need to be aware of, looking at one's own shadow and projections.
At its most simplistic, do we hate what we won't examine in ourselves, politically speaking ?
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 31 May, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I suddenly fancy a piece of toast.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I suddenly fancy a piece of toast.
4pm is tea time in the YahYah household.
There's some lemon curd and crumpets for sharing.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I have now partaken of toast.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tim Farron is not new to posturing :rofl:
See how long it takes you to spot him !

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:One of the things that made me feel so bad before and after the election was that all my normal feelings of connection with others & belief in working together went out of the window.

Am reading about Jung at the moment and an author made an interesting point when addressing whether or not Jung had been anti-semitic or pro-Nazi.

The respected analyst and psychiatrist says of Jung's detractors (after examining evidence from the time) ''....one possibility is that they have not worked sufficiently on their own repressed Fascist, anti-semitic or anti-Christian shadow and enjoy the glow of self righteousness that comes as they project them onto Jung'.

Maybe that's something we all need to be aware of, looking at one's own shadow and projections.
At its most simplistic, do we hate what we won't examine in ourselves, politically speaking ?

I've always held that we (or, at least, I) more often than not take against people who have characteristics that we (I) dislike in ourselves\myself. That's not to say that, on occasion, we\I don't dislike people for other reasons.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

yahyah wrote:One of the things that made me feel so bad before and after the election was that all my normal feelings of connection with others & belief in working together went out of the window.

Interesting post, Yahyah. CitizenJAs post above had reminded me of Thich Nhat Hanhs poem 'Please call me by my true names'. ( A great human rights activist, btw, if you haven't encountered him) I've always loved this, for the way it is able to convey the way we are implicitly involved in the things we dislike or actively oppose in our world. I went to check I'd got the name of it correct and came back to your post! It also reminded me that the Labour Party used to be very involved in the human rights aspects of the international labour movement, often sending delegates to other countries to see for itself what was really happening in such places. I remember in the eighties that such trips were much criticised by Thatcher and co. and the media as 'foreign junkets'. I've not really been aware that Labour still maintains these kind of links, and would like to know about this. Perhaps there is quite a lot of leeway for what you suggest in your last paragraph. I can only observe that politically speaking we are a lot more insular than we were thirty years ago even though we have infinitely more access to information than then. We have our own views on the world, of course, but these don't seem to translate into policy in any party, not just Labour. But whether we admit it or not Britain is still a big player on the world scene. We're only a little island off the coast of Europe for our own citizens. The proof of this in recent times are Libya and Syria. So there is as I think you suggest a dichotomy. On the one hand we want the greatness of Great Britain and on the other we disown it's consequences. I can see that so clearly in the Cool Britannia of the Blair years which I really disliked, but also in the whole cultural nostalgia thing too. And this stuff crosses parties. Even (takes shelter) the Greens, who remain largely a party for those middle class white (takes shelter again) people Liz whatshername was talking about, you know the hard working ones. All the parties have been at it, regardless of their claims to social justice, equality, etc. As this 'it' is something that imperils future generations perhaps now is a good time to take a good hard look at the compromises we make even while we really dislike them. Or the things we hate, as you say.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I suddenly fancy a piece of toast.

My favourite food. I'd turn down most other meals for a couple of slices of toast spread with salty Welsh butter. And my stomach likes it too. It's one of the few foods I can eat without suffering after affects.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:"And he did not, repeat did not, repeat DID NOT mention “welfare” even once. Nor did he use the term “workshy”. Why should this matter? Ah well. Those are the terms that suggest Burnham, or any of the other leadership hopefuls, are fighting their campaign on ground approved by the right-wing press and commentariat. Their use is meant to wind up the left and precipitate the kinds of splits that are meat and drink to the media."
The media spin again....
Holy cow.
Andy Burnham's words were made up in four different national news outlets.

Also, this title from LabourList isn't accurate; it's not what Burnham said in his speech.
To regain trust, Labour must admit we spent too much, says Burnham
29TH MAY, 2015
http://labourlist.org/2015/05/to-regain ... s-burnham/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An extract from Burnham's speech:
"The defining question of the last days of the Election and the aftermath was this: did Labour spend too much before the crash?
Ironically, the Tories didn't use to think that we did – they back Labour's spending plans right up until 2008. They even described the spending settlement I negotiated across government as Chief Secretary to the Treasury in 2007 as “tough”. And the truth is that Labour did fix the roof when the sun was shining – the leaky roofs of the crumbing schools and hospitals we inherited. That investment did not cause Lehman Brother to collapse. But, with hindsight, we didn't get everything right and, at the Election, we didn't do enough to acknowledge the doubts people had about our management of the public finances.

If we are to win back trust, we have to start by admitting that we should have been reducing the deficit more quickly in the years before the crash – and that this would have left us better able to resist its effects when it came.
We did not – indeed could not – abolish boom and bust. And so prudence, as a watchword and a way of running the public finances, should have been better adhered to in those middle years of the last decade.

But let me be clear: in saying this, I am not conceding the record of the last Labour Government.
Far from being profligate, we had reduced the debt in the ten years leading up to the crisis and by historic standards the deficit was small.

But it was still too high and the banks were not sufficiently regulated, here or abroad."

- Burnham
29 May 2015
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

Electoral Reform Soc ‏@electoralreform
If you join us before midnight tonight, you'll get a free copy of our new #GE2015 report! http://electoral-reform.org.uk/join-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; A study that marshals the evidence to argue that this was the most disproportionate result in British election history.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... are-button" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; We want an anti-austerity Labour Party leader
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I took those words in exact order they came in from the full text of Andy Burnham's 29 May 2015 speech found on the website below.

I didn't edit a thing.
I did put those sentences in bold.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

If there's anything I'm really concerned with about Labours spending in the middle years.of the last decade it's not that they didn't bring down the deficit faster, it's that there was a huge outlay on fighting wars we should never have engaged in. It's the unspoken subtext to everything directed at Labours 'profligacy' and done with the absolute complicity of the Conservative party. Then Dave went in and showed how you could do the same damage ever so quickly, with much less resource, loss of our lads lives, and of course it was much much cheaper. It's this stuff that makes the public cynical. I don't blame them, it did the same to me. I just don't measure the expenditure in terms of the economy. I've never seen a figure out on the war wounded, though Birmingham hospitals treated many of them, and until recently it was impossible not to notice them,
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Wren-Lewis again.

Recognising the success of macroeconomic myths
http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... nomic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
two conceptual flaws in the media’s approach to macroeconomic issues: one with much wider implications, and one specific to fiscal policy. The first is to assume that there are no objective facts, but simply the claims of political parties. So if Labour chose not to challenge the ‘clearing up the mess’ narrative, it was not the media’s job to do so. Conversely, it was not the media’s business to assess the Labour profligacy myth: if the government put the myth forward, it was the media’s job to continue to challenge Labour on it. This is the ‘views differ on whether Earth is flat’ approach.

The second relates to how fiscal policy issues are reported. The government continually drew analogies between government budgets and household budgets: the UK had maxed out its credit card. To the extent that this analogy is used to imply that government deficits have to be reduced immediately come what may, economists know such analogies are false. A media that took its duty to educate and inform seriously would recognise this. What the media appeared to do instead was to accept the line that the deficit had to be reduced as quickly as possible, and obsess about the deficit numbers as if they were as important as data on inflation or unemployment.
My bold, highlighting the BBC's approach in a nutshell.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I beg Andy Burnham's pardon.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Conservative MP faces claims he helped Ukip candidate target Labour voters
Ukip election candidate Kim Rose says Royston Smith gave him documents and a ‘racist’ leaflet to use to attract Labour voters in key marginal

http://linkis.com/www.theguardian.com/QwWYS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -candidate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With several parties actively colluding together to keep Labour out, they didn't stand much of a chance, did they? I'm still surprised more hasn't been said about the letter sent to voters in Tory/Labour marginals as I'm not aware anything like that has ever happened before. I wonder how much it cost?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

LEAP - the Left Economics Advisory Panel. Follow us on twitter @LEAPeconomics. Email leapeconomics@gmail.com

Andrew Fisher asks: just how much further to the right can Labour's leadership candidates go?

http://leapeconomics.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... e.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A bit depressing really.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@aaw
Snap! Bit slow on the old typing there.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I can just about cope with people believing they have a radically different route to governing the country in the interests of the electorate. What's soul-destroying is that our politicians and press so utterly despise the people they're supposed to represent and inform. They are con artists and we are their marks.
How do we make it stop?
Tonibel
Backbencher

Post by Tonibel »

LadyCentauria wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:Bit of a shocker from Chris Leslie. Another one promising Tory-lite.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... r-election
How on earth can 'allowing state companies to bid for rail franchises sounding like a form of re-nationalisation' be a problem? I'm paraphrasing there. Re-nationalising the railways was one of the most popular demands across all demographics and right across voters from all parties. A massive proportion of the population are in favour of that! Or are we now believing that anything the polls and surveys say is automatically wrong and, therefore, taking the opposite path from anything that appears widely popular? Rather than casting aside popular policies (and that was true of a lot of Labour's offer in the Manifesto for 2015) what is needed is a more positive way to frame and explain those policies. Creating new nationalised/state-owned railway lines is not the same as going back to the forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, or eighties. We don't live in the same world. A lot has been learnt about better ways to do business, better ways/channels of organisation, better technologies. Moving forward to a form of mutualised-company might be the way. The only shareholders being the staff and the state, with profits part-shared and part-reinvested, surely does more for the workers, the passengers, and the country, than the only (or vast majority of) shareholders siphoning the profits away but demanding increasing subsidies from government in order to create those profits!
I really liked Chris Leslie until this. Complete betrayal in my view. Angela Eagle still good So far, see quote below. Sorry it's old but I'm still catching up with myself.(wish she she'd stand For DL).

Chris Grayling cannot be any worse at his new role as Leader of the Commons than he was as Justice Secretary. On his first appearance, his Labour shadow, Angela Eagle, offered him an appropriate welcome. “Given that an eagle is a predator and a powerful emblem used by countries across the globe,” she said, “I thought I would honour your arrival by looking up what a grayling is. The dictionary defines it as ‘a small, grey fish frequently used as bait’.”
From "I" Thursday
Last edited by refitman on Sun 31 May, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: quote fixed
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I do wish he had stood for leader instead of Mayor...
Londoners need us to come together to avert this disaster

http://labourlist.org/2015/05/londoners ... -disaster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Goodnight, PorFavor
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Night PF (right way round tonight) :sleep: well :)
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Goodnight, PorFavor.

http://www.welfareweekly.com/high-court ... al-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

High court orders benefit cap judicial review.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I can just about cope with people believing they have a radically different route to governing the country in the interests of the electorate. What's soul-destroying is that our politicians and press so utterly despise the people they're supposed to represent and inform. They are con artists and we are their marks.
How do we make it stop?
It helped me yesterday to admit here I was frightened & angry about Tory government.
It helped me be present with those feelings, accepting it's appropriate to feel scared when Tories & their media are lying, creating division, cultivating discord on purpose. Pat myself on the back, good for you, cJA, you know to be scared of scary things. Individually, we each are doing well enough if we can recognise lies from truth. Acknowledging my feelings of vulnerability paradoxically seems to make me stronger.

I hear you when you write, 'soul-destroying'. I feel that when I'm reading troll-speak. Good lord, where do those people come from? Never mind. I don't need to know. Someone defending the indefensible - denying the truth of someone's life under Tory government...it's that pitiless voice presumably coming from a human being that leaves me cold. It's supposed to. I think it's best to limit exposure to that ugliness. It sucks the good right out of the day.

Earlier, our friends here were writing about the work of Carl Jung. I love his work. His research has taught me a great deal. Both the authors below use Jungian psychology in their work.

Undoing Perpetual Stress: The Missing Connection Between Depression, Anxiety and 21stCentury Illness
Richard O'Connor - February 7, 2006
https://play.google.com/store/books/det ... aOXQQBFFkC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shadow Dance
Liberating the Power and Creativity of Your Dark Side

by David Richo

The Five Things We Cannot Change
And the Happiness We Find by Embracing Them

by David Richo

http://davericho.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are just notes I'm leaving here. I hope it's useful. Please don't hesitate to move this contribution if I've strayed too far off politics. In my opinion, I think the subjects are related.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

House of Commons
Thursday 28 May 2015
The House met at half-past Nine o’clock

Ms Eagle:
I also welcome the right hon. Member for Epsom and Ewell (Chris Grayling) to his new post. Given that an eagle is a predator and a powerful emblem used by countries across the globe, I thought I would honour the right hon. Gentleman’s arrival by looking up what a grayling is. The dictionary defines it as “a small grey fish frequently used as bait”—[Laughter.] With that in mind, I look forward to working with him.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 2828000732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The woman rocks. :rock:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sadiq Khan says 'aspiration' will be Labour leadership race's most overused word
Former shadow justice secretary discusses Labour’s ‘rose tinted glasses’ about Blair era, claiming some in the party are looking back too favourably on the past

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... used-blair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadiq Khan: ‘Ruthless? No. Decency can get you to the top in politics’
The Labour MP is running for London mayor. He explains why he walked out on his law firm, how he made an enemy of Tony Blair – and what aspiration is really all about

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... aspiration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Goodnight PF :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Electoral Reform Soc ‏@electoralreform May 8
As of 11am, here's how many votes on average it took to elect an MP:

SNP 26k
CON 34k
LAB 40k
LD 291k
GRN 1.1m
UKIP 3.8m
#GE2015
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Brennan retweeted
Jay Rayner ‏@jayrayner1 35m35 minutes ago
First the British public voted for theTories; now they've voted for that effing dog. #idespair
:lol:
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote:If there's anything I'm really concerned with about Labours spending in the middle years.of the last decade it's not that they didn't bring down the deficit faster, it's that there was a huge outlay on fighting wars we should never have engaged in. It's the unspoken subtext to everything directed at Labours 'profligacy' and done with the absolute complicity of the Conservative party. Then Dave went in and showed how you could do the same damage ever so quickly, with much less resource, loss of our lads lives, and of course it was much much cheaper. It's this stuff that makes the public cynical. I don't blame them, it did the same to me. I just don't measure the expenditure in terms of the economy. I've never seen a figure out on the war wounded, though Birmingham hospitals treated many of them, and until recently it was impossible not to notice them,
Outstanding post, seeingclearly.
Economic-political boondoggles cluttering up environments - cyber & in person.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Electoral Reform Soc ‏@electoralreform May 8

SNP 26k
CON 34k
LAB 40k
LD 291k
GRN 1.1m
UKIP 3.8m
#GE2015
Labour did okay given the circumstances.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

SNP 26k
CON 34k
LAB 40k
LD 291k
GRN 1.1m
UKIP 3.8m
#GE2015
Wasn't it because it took so many more Tory voters to elect an MP than it did labour voters that they wanted to re-do the boundaries to make it fairer.

That issue seems to have gone away...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

"British threats to quit European rights law has echoes of Nazi Germany– UN representative
We have to remember the 1930s and how the rights of the Jews were restricted in Germany and then the rights of the whole German people. I mean, countries that go down the path of reducing the rights of one category of people usually don’t stop there,” he said."

http://rt.com/uk/263717-uk-eu-rights-law/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

citizenJA wrote:

SNP 26k
CON 34k
LAB 40k
LD 291k
GRN 1.1m
UKIP 3.8m
#GE2015
Labour did okay given the circumstances.
That 3.8 million worry me. It's the juxtaposition with the greens, I think. But it would have worried me anyway.