Tuesday 16th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Re: Tuesday 16th September 2014

Post by JackPranker »

TE: Let me ask you this: what are you certain of happening in 2015 if there's a no vote?
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

yahyah wrote:
JackPranker wrote:I admired Brown in the past for being an honest man. Attributing "Kim Yong Il" as an advisor to Salmond is eroding that rapidly. If both sides are serious about keeping this cordial then rhetoric should be being condemned by campaign leaders, not perpetuated.

I saw a snide comment from Salmond the other day about Labour, so it isn't like he is working that hard to be cordial.

But glad we agree on the Guardian Beta being crap, and whatever happens on Thursday I sincerely wish for Mrs Pranker, yourself & baby [or rather toddler] Pranker to thrive in the country you love.
Thanks, Yahyah, et tu.

The country you refer to is currently England. :D
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Government to revisit its decision to abolish the Local Welfare Provision Fund

http://www.24dash.com/news/central_gove ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

JackPranker wrote:
yahyah wrote:
JackPranker wrote:I admired Brown in the past for being an honest man. Attributing "Kim Yong Il" as an advisor to Salmond is eroding that rapidly. If both sides are serious about keeping this cordial then rhetoric should be being condemned by campaign leaders, not perpetuated.

I saw a snide comment from Salmond the other day about Labour, so it isn't like he is working that hard to be cordial.

But glad we agree on the Guardian Beta being crap, and whatever happens on Thursday I sincerely wish for Mrs Pranker, yourself & baby [or rather toddler] Pranker to thrive in the country you love.
Thanks, Yahyah, et tu.

The country you refer to is currently England. :D

:lol: Shows just how off the station I can be.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

yahyah wrote: :lol: Shows just how off the station I can be.
:lol: It may be my rabid cybernationalism that led you there! :hug:
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote: The Yes campaigns big weapon has been the number of A-listers - Cummings, Cox, Welsh et al - who will always attract attention and have definitely fallen into the 'zealot' camp; but then, they don't have to live with the consequences, do they? :(
I wonder how much, if any, influence these people actually have - and, of course, they're not confined to the 'yes' side. Remember JK Rowling, David Bowie, John Barrowman and... wait for it... David Beckham have all come out in favour of 'no'.
Actors are employed to deliver other peoples words, so should be convincing :)
Incidentally, Brian Cox was in favour of sharing the BBC. Keeping an eye on future job opportunities perhaps? (Or maybe I'm just getting too cynical).
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I don't class you as a cybernat Jack, you are far too reasonable.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JackPranker wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
JackPranker wrote: Then it's a shame that he is only speaking to campaigners and not voters. How is he expecting to change "yes" voters minds?
I agree with you there, don't know what the reason for him not addressing crowds is, security, as a former PM, possibly but doubtful..

At least Blair hasn't got involved, grateful for small mercies eh?!
:D I expect the "no" campaign are not suicidal. It's bad enough they have Cameron and Clegg on their side!

It's been a problem for BT from the start. The heavy hitters have only recently started to engage, but when they do they engage with invited groups rather than soap-boxing. Jim Murphy did his 100 days, but from the press generated it would appear that even he travelled with his audience on the same bus!

Compare that to the "Yes" grass-roots campaigning, it has seemed to me that one side looks engaged and the other side looks aloof - a continuation of an attitude that has, in part, brought this situation about. For those hoping for a "no" vote, they may be relying on the fear of the unknown being a greater pull than the hope of change.
I'm not sure that's right...On Twitter, at least on the links I follow, there has been a lot of grass root Labour groups backing the No vote, knocking on doors....
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Haven't heard the speech, but I assume that was a joke? And tbf GB's use of humour has always been somewhat clunky ;)
Read somewhere recently, that the North Korean squirt said he backed the Yes vote. So Brown was right I guess.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

yahyah wrote:I don't class you as a cybernat Jack, you are far too reasonable.
Seconded.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh...

Rotherham PCC Shaun Wright resigns following abuse scandal. More details to follow…

What took him so long I wonder?

Unless there's something coming out that we haven't yet heard about.
Probably a good day to bury bad screws.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

JackPranker wrote:TE: Let me ask you this: what are you certain of happening in 2015 if there's a no vote?
Not TE, but for me?
2015 - A Labour Landslide :fight: :fight: :fight:
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh...

Rotherham PCC Shaun Wright resigns following abuse scandal. More details to follow…

What took him so long I wonder?

Unless there's something coming out that we haven't yet heard about.
Probably a good day to bury bad screws.
Ouch! Well done, sir.

Vaz saying it's not enough. No shit, Keith!
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

JackPranker wrote: :D I expect the "no" campaign are not suicidal. It's bad enough they have Cameron and Clegg on their side!

Agreed, it's difficult when you have such a broad spectrum of agreement. Much easier when there's nobody else of any consequence on your side. :twisted:
JackPranker wrote: For those hoping for a "no" vote, they may be relying on the fear of the unknown being a greater pull than the hope of change.
On the other hand, maybe those hoping for a 'no' vote are relying on the fear of the obvious consequences of a 'yes' vote. Change for change's sake is rarely a good idea. Change is only a good idea when it's for the better.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
I wonder how much, if any, influence these people actually have - and, of course, they're not confined to the 'yes' side. Remember JK Rowling, David Bowie, John Barrowman and... wait for it... David Beckham have all come out in favour of 'no'.
How much influence do they have? Difficult to gauge, but Welsh certainly seems to be pretty influential, I know I've had several people giving me links to some of his writings on the subject, saying that summed up their own feelings perfectly; so he is lauded by many as "The Voice of the True Scotsman", despite living in the USA, yet Rowling has been attacked even though she lives in Edinburgh and has pumped very considerable amounts of money into the Scottish economy and charity scene.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:If you have 10 minutes to spare, read this, explains a lot about the mind-set within the ''Yes'' brigade, not everyone obviously, but there are recognisable traits that we have all seen in this campaign.

http://wakeupscotland.wordpress.com/201 ... ged-to-no/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Morning by the way..
Had my own personal experience of this today, it's like being steamrollered. It doesn't endear, tbh.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
JackPranker wrote: :D I expect the "no" campaign are not suicidal. It's bad enough they have Cameron and Clegg on their side!

Agreed, it's difficult when you have such a broad spectrum of agreement. Much easier when there's nobody else of any consequence on your side. :twisted:
JackPranker wrote: For those hoping for a "no" vote, they may be relying on the fear of the unknown being a greater pull than the hope of change.
On the other hand, maybe those hoping for a 'no' vote are relying on the fear of the obvious consequences of a 'yes' vote. Change for change's sake is rarely a good idea. Change is only a good idea when it's for the better.
These consequences for a yes vote are obvious to everybody on both sides of the campaign divide - it's just they disagree with what they are. Equally true for a "no" as it appears (according to BT anyway) that negotiations will take place in either event.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

AngryAsWell wrote:
JackPranker wrote:TE: Let me ask you this: what are you certain of happening in 2015 if there's a no vote?
Not TE, but for me?
2015 - A Labour Landslide :fight: :fight: :fight:
:D We can but hope.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

JackPranker wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:

These consequences for a yes vote are obvious to everybody on both sides of the campaign divide - it's just they disagree with what they are. Equally true for a "no" as it appears (according to BT anyway) that negotiations will take place in either event.
Different negotiations though - no EU negotiations, no defence carve-up negotiations, no CU negotiations (not that the latter will take more than 5 minutes) in the case of a 'no' vote.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Idly wondered if those that had a postal vote and got it away early, are wishing they'd waited so they could change their vote.

I can't think of anything worse!
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

Eric:

I happen to agree with you on the currency union issue. I can't see what's in it for the UK to enter into a formal union with Scotland if the alternative is sterlingisation. Where's the negative for the Bank of England there?

I also don't view the threat of walking away from any debt as credible, however what that level of debt will be is entirely up for negotiation. I cannot see that there is anything that could be used as a red line to allow an independent Scotland to walk away with no liabilities (although I assume that those liabilities would have to be reissued as the Treasury has already committed to honour existing debt).

In short, no one is answering those questions.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... rally.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mmm....Doesn't sound so good at first, until you hear the main thrust of the guys protest is about wanting a Yes vote because of ATOS and Danny Alexanders part in it....
Last edited by ohsocynical on Tue 16 Sep, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

All the celebrities giving their opinion. How many of them are able to vote Thursday? Should be the first question they're asked.

I'm glad to see the Tax Payers Alliance have managed to find a spokesperson about this :wink:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... ilies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Scotland will continue to be a member of the EU.
Scotland will continue to have a sovereign currency backed by a central bank (the pound).
Scotland can continue to print pound notes.
Scotland will have some more tax raising powers.
Scotland will continue to send MPs to Westminster, the West Lothian question will not be resolved, for all the reasons we know about today.
Scotland will not face trade barriers in dealing with the EU.
Scottish banks and businesses will stay in Scotland.
Money with be quietly moved back over the border.
Scotland will be stuck with Trident and Westminster government will have an impact on certain policy areas (either directly or indirectly).
There will be an election in May, resulting in a Labour government or Labour Lib Dem coalition.
Cameron will resign.
Boris will not become Tory leader.
Release the Guardvarks.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

JackPranker wrote:Eric:

I happen to agree with you on the currency union issue. I can't see what's in it for the UK to enter into a formal union with Scotland if the alternative is sterlingisation. Where's the negative for the Bank of England there?

I also don't view the threat of walking away from any debt as credible, however what that level of debt will be is entirely up for negotiation. I cannot see that there is anything that could be used as a red line to allow an independent Scotland to walk away with no liabilities (although I assume that those liabilities would have to be reissued as the Treasury has already committed to honour existing debt).

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, the fact that the Treasury agreed to honour existing debts just means that Scotland would owe the rUK, rather than the original creditors. As you say, the apportioning of debt (and assets) would be a matter for negotiation.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

Eric_WLothian wrote:

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, the fact that the Treasury agreed to honour existing debts just means that Scotland would owe the rUK, rather than the original creditors. As you say, the apportioning of debt (and assets) would be a matter for negotiation.
As pensions are not paid out of a pot but through existing taxation, it does leave the matter up for grabs. Notionally Scots pensioners have paid national insurance and expect a state pension, whoever pays it. Somewhat archly an ageing population (as has been trumpeted as a problem) is not so much of an issue for Scots as it is for the rest of the UK. It must be the Buckie and Irn Bru diet.
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

Perhaps someone has mentioned this before but is Clegg OK to sign a pledge for a policy which hasn't been voted for in their conference?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

minch wrote:Perhaps someone has mentioned this before but is Clegg OK to sign a pledge for a policy which hasn't been voted for in their conference?
Well, he usually ignores the results of the votes at Conference anyway (they've been voting against Bedroom Tax for a couple of years now) so it would be in keeping.
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
minch wrote:Perhaps someone has mentioned this before but is Clegg OK to sign a pledge for a policy which hasn't been voted for in their conference?
Well, he usually ignores the results of the votes at Conference anyway (they've been voting against Bedroom Tax for a couple of years now) so it would be in keeping.
I agree. It seems strange calling it a pledge after the last pledge Clegg made was so effective!
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

JackPranker wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:

As pensions are not paid out of a pot but through existing taxation, it does leave the matter up for grabs. Notionally Scots pensioners have paid national insurance and expect a state pension, whoever pays it. Somewhat archly an ageing population (as has been trumpeted as a problem) is not so much of an issue for Scots as it is for the rest of the UK. It must be the Buckie and Irn Bru diet.
That also applies to Civil Service and some other public sector pensions.
On the face of it, it seems fairly simple to transfer assets from rUK to Scotland and for Scotland to pay the pensions (or vice versa). But what about the pensioners who choose to become expat rUK citizens rather than Scottish citizens? If the referendum is close, there could be a substantial number. Will we be given a choice post-yes and pre-independence?
If there's a 'yes' vote, it's going to get very messy!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

minch wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
I agree. It seems strange calling it a pledge after the last pledge Clegg made was so effective!
The only Pledge he really believes in is the stuff his cleaning lady uses on the woodwork.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

seeingclearly wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:If you have 10 minutes to spare, read this, explains a lot about the mind-set within the ''Yes'' brigade, not everyone obviously, but there are recognisable traits that we have all seen in this campaign.

http://wakeupscotland.wordpress.com/201 ... ged-to-no/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Morning by the way..
Had my own personal experience of this today, it's like being steamrollered. It doesn't endear, tbh.

Indeed. As have I.

And both sides are as bad as each other in that respect. I've had it from both.

There have been exaggerations and stroppiness on both sides; too much unreasonable hope on one side, and way too many empty threats on the other.
The Yes campaign started off in a civilised fashion and is getting more strident by the day; the No campaign has been a last-minute farce worthy of Frayn.

With the sort of politics we have in the UK, with some of the personalities involved, and with a media obsessed with soundbites, it was inevitable that things would get very heated the closer we come to the vote.

Whilst that does not excuse some of the more egregious examples of personal insult - from both sides - that I've seen on CIF and elsewhere, it's understandable when passions are running so high.

I haven't commented here for a few days for that very reason - I feel, as I did with Labour's failure to oppose some of the worst excesses in this government's benefits policies (and if you recall, the arguments then caused some much-loved contributors to leave FTN), that the various people here getting annoyed/upset about nationalistic fervour should think about how they post.

Every time you point a finger, there's another three pointing back at you.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

StephenDolan wrote:All the celebrities giving their opinion. How many of them are able to vote Thursday? Should be the first question they're asked.

I'm glad to see the Tax Payers Alliance have managed to find a spokesperson about this :wink:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... ilies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't imagine deciding who or what to vote for on the say-so of a celebrity.

I like Roger Moore and enjoy listening to him, but I wouldn't vote Conservative [he's one] just because he said to.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ephemerid wrote:
I haven't commented here for a few days for that very reason - I feel, as I did with Labour's failure to oppose some of the worst excesses in this government's benefits policies (and if you recall, the arguments then caused some much-loved contributors to leave FTN), that the various people here getting annoyed/upset about nationalistic fervour should think about how they post.

To be honest Ephe, that is why I'm not posting on Twitter at the moment. If you say anything that doesn't follow the party line you are mobbed, so you either have to watch what you say very carefully or say nothing at all; whichever way you slice it that is censorship, and it is saddening me utterly.

If anything I've said here has offended you I am truly sorry (actually mortified would be nearer the truth), but please don't be silent, call me out on it; I'd hate to think I'd censored you in the same way I have been, and I've got fairly broad shoulder (and a very broad beergut).
Last edited by TheGrimSqueaker on Tue 16 Sep, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

ephemerid wrote:the various people here getting annoyed/upset about nationalistic fervour should think about how they post.

I've seen very little antagonism within the Haven, it is very much the exception, and I've appreciated the debate.

It would be very dull here if we were always in perfect agreement.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

How odd:
ONLINE bookmaker Betfair is paying out to customers who have backed a ‘No’ vote in this week’s Scottish independence referendum, two days before the polls open.
Do they know something we don't?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3543402
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

ephemerid wrote:I haven't commented here for a few days for that very reason - I feel, as I did with Labour's failure to oppose some of the worst excesses in this government's benefits policies (and if you recall, the arguments then caused some much-loved contributors to leave FTN), that the various people here getting annoyed/upset about nationalistic fervour should think about how they post.

Indeed. I've felt compelled to point out holes in certain arguments (always a dangerous thing to do, I know) but that's attracted some pretty nasty commentary from both sides of the aisle. As with everything in politics, moderates are sidelined when passions run high. Let's hope that when the dust settles there aren't too many bodies lying around.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

gilsey wrote:
ephemerid wrote:the various people here getting annoyed/upset about nationalistic fervour should think about how they post.

I've seen very little antagonism within the Haven, it is very much the exception, and I've appreciated the debate.

It would be very dull here if we were always in perfect agreement.
Agreed - I'm certainly not annoyed or upset that others have different views to my own. Apologies if any of my posts suggest otherwise.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

Group hug?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JackPranker wrote:Group hug?
Good idea. On three. One, Two :hug:
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

ohsocynical wrote:
JackPranker wrote:Group hug?
Good idea. On three. One, Two :hug:
:lol: :hug:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
minch wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Well, he usually ignores the results of the votes at Conference anyway (they've been voting against Bedroom Tax for a couple of years now) so it would be in keeping.
The only Pledge he really believes in is the stuff his cleaning lady uses on the woodwork.
That's just silly,no way would his cleaning lady be allowed to use pledge.Wax polish and lots of buffing up.Used to do it myself(not for Clegg obvs).
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Eric_WLothian wrote:How odd:
ONLINE bookmaker Betfair is paying out to customers who have backed a ‘No’ vote in this week’s Scottish independence referendum, two days before the polls open.

I saw that too.What's that about?Surely it's too close to call?Any gamblers here to explain?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

JackPranker wrote:
ephemerid wrote:I haven't commented here for a few days for that very reason - I feel, as I did with Labour's failure to oppose some of the worst excesses in this government's benefits policies (and if you recall, the arguments then caused some much-loved contributors to leave FTN), that the various people here getting annoyed/upset about nationalistic fervour should think about how they post.

Indeed. I've felt compelled to point out holes in certain arguments (always a dangerous thing to do, I know) but that's attracted some pretty nasty commentary from both sides of the aisle. As with everything in politics, moderates are sidelined when passions run high. Let's hope that when the dust settles there aren't too many bodies lying around.
Whichever way the vote goes - something has changed - it isn't going to be the same. And some of the change may not be too pleasant - given the amount of division and hostility that appears to have surfaced, especially in the last couple of weeks. Yes, let's hope there aren't too many bodies lying around. I think the independence ref has now not only ignited people in Scotland but in rUK as well - and it looks as though there may be quite a lot of division here ... on sharing out assets and liabilities should YES win out ... on allowing DevoMax as proposed, with or without constitutional reform and greater devolution in other parts of the UK should NO prevail.

For my part - I haven't felt anyone here has been offensive or didactic in their views on Scotland and independence. Some have stonger views and ways of expressing themselves - but it hasn't been abusive IMO (unlike some of the stuff I've seen reported on Twitter and elsewhere). I can fully understand why people in Scotland may want to vote YES and cite the current Westminster government and vile, punitive policies such as the bedroom tax etc etc - and why their faith in Labour to be different, really different has been stretched so far that they now want to risk something entirely different. I'm not an uncritical supporter of Labour. I'd like Scotland to stay in the UK - but I will wish it well whatever happens.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/09/l ... h-bed-tax/

LibDems whingiing again.
One of the few things they are very good at. Plenty of experience.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Retweeted by Iain Martin
anita anand ‏@tweeter_anita 1h
Miliband physically shoved, shouted at, sworn at and called a liar and a traitor... not a great day for public discourse is it.
Seen a few tweets like this now ... sounds ugly.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

According to the Guardian,Ed Miliband has had to stop his walkabout after being abused by Yes supporters shouting charming things such as 'fucking liar' and 'serial murderer'.
This is foul.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Eric_WLothian wrote:How odd:

Don't really like that - a Manchester bookie has not once but twice paid out on United winning the PL, and they failed to do so :oops:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ephemerid wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:

Morning by the way..

Indeed. As have I.

And both sides are as bad as each other in that respect. I've had it from both.

There have been exaggerations and stroppiness on both sides; too much unreasonable hope on one side, and way too many empty threats on the other.
The Yes campaign started off in a civilised fashion and is getting more strident by the day; the No campaign has been a last-minute farce worthy of Frayn.

With the sort of politics we have in the UK, with some of the personalities involved, and with a media obsessed with soundbites, it was inevitable that things would get very heated the closer we come to the vote.

Whilst that does not excuse some of the more egregious examples of personal insult - from both sides - that I've seen on CIF and elsewhere, it's understandable when passions are running so high.

Well, I did learn from that episode.
Expect abuse about Labour or what sort of suit Ed Miliband wears, but never, ever criticise the Green party or the sometimes nihilistic left or you'll get chopped off at the knees and then blamed when people have a strop, the very same people who can usually deal it out themselves in spades.

But just as well we are all different isn't it, or it would be rather boring.