Monday 8th June 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Monday 8th June 2015

Post by LadyCentauria »

Morftereve all. Thought I'd start the day off with a couple of Cartoonist Rowson's rather marvellous offerings. So, from Friday comes The Outlaw, featuring IDS indulging himself in highway-robbery upon a cowering wheelchair-user – with a gibbet and a furcup looming on the horizon. Can't think why IDS' horse has a donkey's tail, though :innocent: :
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... toon#img-1

On Sunday he turned his pens and paint to the G7 Summit with Perspective, in which Our Dear Leader skips lightly along a corridor with eyes closed and oblivious to both those ahead and behind him:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... toon#img-1

Anyroad, I hope the day ahead will be a good one for all here – at least, better than expected!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Re: Monday 8th June 2015

Post by utopiandreams »

@LadyCentauria

Regarding the second cartoon I'm still embarrassed by my 'balloon/moon on a stick' gaffe. Anyway good to see Dave has something to aspire to.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I'm sorry for my over-indulgence but must confess that there are times that I laugh at my own jokes, prompted by the second of LadyCentauria's links (or should I say CartoonistRowson's efforts?) and Cameron abroad plus a visit to my G profile page. Anyway sorry for repeating it yet again (or am I?) but this one still makes me laugh, as did Boris's gallows humour... Gets coat but not before leaving this.

An extract of the most hotly awaited book of the year, 'Call me Dave' has been released...

A young David was approached by two men at the beach.

"Привет Красавчик."
"English. Do you speak English?"
"Ah England. Very friendly England?"
"Yes it is."
"Men and men? Women and women? Very friendly, yes?"
"Yes."

David spoke of much laughter and slapping of backs as he told his Oxford don.

“Their English was very good. They took me out to lunch and dinner, 'Бутылка водки и три стакана, пожалуйста' as they befriended and asked me about life in England and what I thought about England.”
"It's funny how you remember some things, David. They definitely wanted you to join them."
"Oh I see now, they wanted me as a go-between."
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

The young Sophie, a carer on BBC News just now reminds me of a girl I once knew in my brother's year at school. She cared for both parents during her time in the sixth form. Unlike Sophie though she missed out on uni because of her caring responsibilities. Not sure this really has any bearing, but they weren't her natural parents, she was adopted.

Edit: just to highlight what a selfish brat I was in my youth. I only discovered her position after being invited round; she never once went on or moaned about her position. I ran a mile or let's just say I didn't visit again. I really am getting my coat now..
Last edited by utopiandreams on Mon 08 Jun, 2015 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

On the topic of support for carers, I'll just leave you with a first-hand observation before I go. Yeah sure I wanted more help or support when I was carer for my late wife and daughter, especially when you add in all the other responsibilities of work, home and parenthood. However qualifying what that help should be in practice is quite another matter altogether; we're all essentially private individuals and focussed attention or or help can become an imposition or an additional burden of hospitality.

To some extent that may explain why I was largely alone with my caring responsibilities, seeking support networks or others in similar situations demanded even more of my precious time. Whatever or however support is provided, flexibility is key.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

utopiandreams wrote:@LadyCentauria

Regarding the second cartoon I'm still embarrassed by my 'balloon/moon on a stick' gaffe. Anyway good to see Dave has something to aspire to.
Fear not, @utopiandreams. I'd forgotten that I'd been putting my mind to the 'balloon on a stick' business so thank you for reminding me that I'd trawled my mind, whilst dozing off at some point, and retrieved very strong memories of balloons on sticks – and of children clamouring to have one. So. Blowing up balloons to sell at the beachside amusements, or at a fairground or circus (or some other gathering with opportunities for trade) is pretty hard work – lessened somewhat with a pump or, even better, with canister of helium – but the bugger of it is closing the balloons off so they don't go rocketing and farting off into the distance. Now, you can stretch the neck of a filled balloon over a plug or cork of some sort (but many will escape you) or you can tie them off – but that's fiddly, prone to failures such as popping the damned thing or losing your grip and it farts off. Enter the stick.

Take a share of the sticks which every amusements site or fairground trading-alley boasts, in great quantity, for winding candy-floss onto (oh, how I loved that job when I was judged old enough to help there!). Then, taking a very sharp blade, slice down into the end of a stick an inch and a bit leaving the blade in the cleft, with the stick held tight upright between your knees blow up the balloon and, using both hands, stretch out the neck of the balloon, with the balloon upright take the blade's handle in the hand holding the 'ring' of the balloon, turn the blade very slightly to hold the newly-made cleft open and swiftly but carefully slide the stretched neck into the cleft and withdraw the blade. With luck and practise you'll not have burst the balloon or snapped the stick (nor cut yourself) and the cleft will close enough to keep the air in the balloon for a couple of hours or more. Lo, a balloon on a stick.

Needless to say, some resourceful bod soon came up with the idea of making balloon-sticks in bulk (in plastic, of course) and then they were improved upon, over the years, until we now have these balloon-sticks in many, many colours for very cheap:
http://guide.alibaba.com/shop/multicolo ... 77911.html

Balloons-on-sticks are also extremely useful as targets for air-guns/air-rifles, darts, and 'pointèd-sticks'. Don't try this whilst mounted as the discharge of weapons and/or the popping of balloons is liable to spook your steed and result in a puncture-wound to your good self. I think I still have the scar. Good game, though. It's harder than you might think to spear a balloon on a stick!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all.
Nursing agency's £43m NHS payday: Mail investigation finds firm billed cash-strapped hospitals as much as £1,800 a shift to plug gap in staffing shortages
A nursing agency last year charged the NHS £43million to supply staff
Thornbury Nursing Services raked in £6.5m from individual hospital trusts
Mail investigation shows huge amount agencies are making from taxpayers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tages.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nowhere in this story is there any link made between the reduction in permanent staffing numbers at hospitals due to coalition cuts ('efficiencies'!) and the refusal of government to honour the independent pay review award for some nurses.

Or that the owners of the particular company referred to here are, according to BTL, Tory donors.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The other key story this morning is Cameron appearing to have already decided he is going to campaign for In re the EU - despite no details of his renegotiation yet he is insisting it will be successful - and ban his ministers from campaigning against him.

He seems to be banking on the assumption that most people aren't going to look very closely at what he 'achieves' and will trust him if he says it is a good deal.

Will the electorate fall for that ... or will the media and those that want Out be willing and able to present the counter arguments with equal force? Hang on to your seats. Not sure where we are going with this one.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

(Back on topic) Yep, @utopian. Letting people 'in' to help can be really difficult – and really trying – even if you can get into, let alone through, the process of getting formal help or the funding for it. Or informal help, for that matter.

O/T, again, is it my mind or was your joke really rather naughty for this time in the morning? ;)
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

LadyCentauria wrote:... O/T, again, is it my mind or was your joke really rather naughty for this time in the morning? ;)
Way over my head I'm afraid, LadyC. I thought I were referring to KGB not LGBT affairs.

Edit: corrected LBGT to LGBT.Can't even get my punchlines right; assuming they can be called punchlines, that is.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Mon 08 Jun, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -education" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of the Labour right, I still consider Tristram Hunt vastly superior to either Kendall or Umunna and don't really understand why they decided to put all their eggs in the Liz Kendall basket for the leadership contest - it's almost as if they want to lose everyone who just voted for them. Hunt is extremely diplomatic when talking about where Labour went wrong with education before the election, he clearly understands that Ed's policies were very popular with those who voted Labour but didn't come across clearly to those who didn't. He proposes much that is about continuity of policy but change in presentation, insisting Labour had many things right (no more superflous free schools, no unqualified teachers, early years investment) but needs to turn up the volume. Why is he backing Kendall? Where Hunt talks good sense and easily entwines the values and objectives of both Labour right and left, Kendall says exactly the kind of right-wing things that could almost have been designed to split the Labour party irrevocably. Ah well, just as well Burnham's well ahead.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Seems there's a further case for some worry, here:
The UK could site American new nuclear missiles on British soil amid heightened tensions with Russia, Philip Hammond has indicated.
ADVERTISING
The comments raise the prospect of a return to a Cold War-type arms race with Russia over the use of nuclear missiles
The Foreign Secretary said there were “worrying signs” about the increased activity of Russian forces and the UK would consider the pros and cons of taking US intermediate-range weapons.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ussia.html

@rr2: I suppose the genie is way too far out of the bottle for us (read UK and NHS) to return to the system of the NHS having a department to manage the provision of 'bank' nurses and other staff? It's clearly a false economy to try to run hospitals on reduced staffing-levels, though. Someone needs to do the sums to see whether it works out cheaper than now to increase the numbers of permanent staff and to have others on a retainer basis; eg., equivalent of x hours at basic-rate as retainer (exclusivity pay) + hourly rate for shifts actually worked.

And I'm deeply concerned about how this whole 'renegotiation' and Referendum business is going to play out, too. We can almost take it as read that the Express will be an 'outie.' Unless Farridge does something to piss Desmond off – which is a distinct possibility, them being who they are.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -education

Of the Labour right, I still consider Tristram Hunt vastly superior to either Kendall or Umunna and don't really understand why they decided to put all their eggs in the Liz Kendall basket for the leadership contest - it's almost as if they want to lose everyone who just voted for them. Hunt is extremely diplomatic when talking about where Labour went wrong with education before the election, he clearly understands that Ed's policies were very popular with those who voted Labour but didn't come across clearly to those who didn't. He proposes much that is about continuity of policy but change in presentation, insisting Labour had many things right (no more superflous free schools, no unqualified teachers, early years investment) but needs to turn up the volume. Why is he backing Kendall? Where Hunt talks good sense and easily entwines the values and objectives of both Labour right and left, Kendall says exactly the kind of right-wing things that could almost have been designed to split the Labour party irrevocably. Ah well, just as well Burnham's well ahead.
I'm glad someone else wrote this.
My thoughts exactly.
I thought Hunty would make a good Education Minister for Ed Miliband's government.
In the aftermath of that not happening, Tris Hunt sounds the best of the lot & he's backing Kendall.
In his letter explaining why he wasn't running for Labour leadership, he wrote, "I risked splitting the vote amongst those committed to broadening Labour's appeal to the electorate to ensure that we secure a Labour government in 2020."
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Sadly, Miliband allowed himself to be perceived as uninterested in schools policy"

- Tristram Hunt
8 June 2015
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -education" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't you hate it when you allow someone to perceive you wrong?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Labour, stop apologising for not winning 2015.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

utopiandreams wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:... O/T, again, is it my mind or was your joke really rather naughty for this time in the morning? ;)
Way over my head I'm afraid, LadyC. I thought I were referring to KGB not LBGT affairs.
It was probably both - I suspect the KGB men were trying to ascertain whether Dave and his companion could be drawn into sexual shenanigans which they would then use as blackmail and a means to get him to do their bidding. Effete looking ex public school types such as them were the type they'd been told to look out for. They'd have had better luck with Osborne.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -education

Katie Hopkins is usually wrong about everything, and has views that would probably disturb even her heroine Mrs Thatcher. But she may have had a point when she declared Hunt was the best candidate. Mind you, she only said it because she thought that he shared a characteristic with Blair - that of looking (deceptively?) Tory enough not to scare Middle England.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

rebeccariots2 wrote:The other key story this morning is Cameron appearing to have already decided he is going to campaign for In re the EU - despite no details of his renegotiation yet he is insisting it will be successful - and ban his ministers from campaigning against him.

He seems to be banking on the assumption that most people aren't going to look very closely at what he 'achieves' and will trust him if he says it is a good deal.

Will the electorate fall for that ... or will the media and those that want Out be willing and able to present the counter arguments with equal force? Hang on to your seats. Not sure where we are going with this one.
Evemoraftinoons all...

Uncle Rupert has made it clear that Britain will stay 'in', so Chicken Dave is on very safe ground - unless he (the rancid old goat) changes his mind again (unlikely, seeing the size of the profit he (and his investors) stand to make from Sk :sick: Europe)...

So just what has this man got against Brussels – to the point that it allegedly becomes discussion point number one with every British Prime Minister he meets? Deputy chairman of the London Press Club Professor Martyn Bond previously tried to solve this conundrum. “The immediate answer lies in the potential of the regulatory authorities in Brussels, particularly the anti-competition authorities, to hamper the growth of Murdoch’s media empire,” said Bond. “While he is clearly the major single player in the UK market, with both press and broadcasting interests, his holdings on the continent are considerably more modest.”

http://www.policyreview.eu/editors-blog ... come-from/

...but then this (and I make no comment about how stupid he thinks/knows his customers are)...

Judges at the General Court of the European Union in Luxembourg upheld a complaint that the British broadcaster lodged a decade ago with the EU trademark authority in which it said the Skype name and logo risked being confused by consumers because they sounded and looked too similar to "Sky".

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/05/0 ... 9520150505

...all of a sudden, like, initiates a transformation...

“Mr Murdoch’s view of the EU has mellowed in recent years. He is no fan of bureaucratic blocs but if it comes down to a choice between Britain getting out of the EU or staying, he would stay in”.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greens ... membership

...and by way of a bit of context (that could be widened to cover the MSM coverage of everything)...

This is of crucial importance given that the media is citizens’ principal source of information on EU affairs and the substantial evidence that media framing influences public attitudes towards the EU. I analysed coverage of the EU treaty reform process (2003-2007) in five national newspapers, finding that the feeling of separation from the EU expressed by British citizens mirrors the representation of Britain’s relationship with the EU in newspaper discourses.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2012/ ... cepticism/

WRT the Labour leadership, I've paid my fee and will be able to vote as a 'supporter'...so here's my updated 2pence-worth.

There is only one possibility - Kendall is being (and will continue to be) built up as the MSM choice (see above wrt how that can and does affect the thinking of British Citizens), primarily (I believe(TM)) to bring in another form of attack as and when Andy Burnham wins....probably not 'back-stabber' but likely to be something equally nasty and pernicious, most likely to do with gender and 'girlie' status.

This, IMHO, spectacularly misses the point. If (when, here in Hope) Burnham wins, TCBBAC and Rhyming slang are no longer able to use Mid-Staffs/drinking in vases etc as they'll be called out on it (did someone say the MSM are now printing retractions of their lies?)....so Burnham can focus on the last 5 years, what they're attempting to do now and bring the NHS front and centre in a way that no other candidate possibly could...and I'm sure this has been linked before, but just as a reminder wrt MSM reporting of Labour...

But a more subtle undermining of Burnham is being undertaken across the Fourth Estate, as hacks and pundits exhibit a creative reinterpretation of what he has actually said, to make it appear he is tacking to the right. This is, in part, deliberate: it’s a favourite tactic of the right - to wind up the left into believing that the politician in question is agin them. The ground on which much of this deception is taking place is over welfare.

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... e-not.html

I genuinely think that Andy Burnham is a Milibandian, will continue the policies and will use Mr Ed in the best way possible...and I don't think those that voted Labour will be swayed by the MSM.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

If only Tristram had been called (say) Robert Hunt or Peter Hunt, he might have stood a real chance. I know that is depressingly shallow, but its also how it is :?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:If only Tristram had been called (say) Robert Hunt or Peter Hunt, he might have stood a real chance. I know that is depressingly shallow, but its also how it is :?

Kevin would work. 8-) :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:If only Tristram had been called (say) Robert Hunt or Peter Hunt, he might have stood a real chance. I know that is depressingly shallow, but its also how it is :?

Don't be surprised when he starts using it.
I neglected to say good-morning earlier.
Good-morning, everyone.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Sadly you're right Anatoly. Tristram is a sort of cliche upper middle class name.

Having said that, the only Tristram I've met in real life was a little boy from a very working class family. His mum (Tracey) had lost a brother called Trevor and had originally wanted to call her son that name, only her husband vetoed it - hence the choice of the only other name they knew that started 'Tr-'. Plus she'd liked the character called Tristram in All Creatures Great and Small.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

ohsocynical wrote:

Mike wouldn't though.

:o
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

As I said a while back, whenever Tristram Hunt's name is mentioned I always get a mental picture of Zac Goldsmith and have to recalibrate my brain. And I know perfectly well who he (TH) is - so what hope has he got?

Good morfternoon, everyone.

Edited - comma
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

PorFavor wrote:

As I said a while back, whenever Tristram Hunt's name is mentioned I always get a mental picture of Zac Goldsmith and have to recalibrate my brain. And I know perfectly well who he (TH) is - so what hope has he got?

Good morfternoon, everyone.

Edited - comma
To be fair, they look similar and have a similar manner. It's not just the backgrounds, it's a thoughtful way of speaking (unlike Cameron's two styles of unctuousness and fake sincerity, or shouty bullying).

I have to admit I think Goldsmith is one of the very few Tory MPs who seems ok and not in it for himself or because he has some weird psychosexual obsession with Mrs Thatcher.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Rumours that Goldsmith may put himself forward for the Tory nomination for London Mayor in the near future.

If so he would undoubtedly be the toughest opponent for Labour to beat (and further points towards Tessa being their candidate)

Though how he might square this with his very vocal opposition to any Heathrow Airport extension will be interesting to see........
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

David Cameron has been told he risks "turning a decent debate into a bitter argument" after the Prime Minister warned he would sack any minister who campaigned to leave the European Union.

"Everyone in government has signed up to the programme set out in the Conservative manifesto."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/06 ... _hp_ref=tw
Good Lord. :o Do Tory MPs actually believe what was in the manifesto?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 5m5 minutes ago
No10 in full fudge mode. Now say #EURef collective responsibility only applies to renegotiation period-no decision on what ministers do then

Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 5m5 minutes ago
PM seemed clear in Bavaria last night that all ministers must to toe government line in referendum. Now No10 says it's a "hypothetical"

Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 5m5 minutes ago
EU U-turn: Downing Street now says Cameron threat to sack ministers applies only during renegotiation NOT if they want to campaign to leave

Robert Hutton ‏@RobDotHutton 5m5 minutes ago
EU referendum Tory status (collective responsibility edition): GOVERNMENT CLIMBDOWN #Journalese
Cameron's flair for banana skin politics in evidence again. The novel thing about him is that he throws the banana skins down in front of himself.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

David Cameron has withdrawn his threat to sack ministers who want to campaign for an EU exit.

Number 10 says his comments yesterday were “over-interpreted” and that he was just talking about ministers having to abide by collective responsibility during the negotiation process. Journalists at the prime minister’s briefing do not accept that they misrepresented his words, and the transcript supports their account.

Number 10 says Cameron has not yet decided whether or not ministers will be sacked if they oppose Britain staying in the EU during the renegotiation.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... d982cba80d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave's flip flopping all over the place this morning. I wonder if Clegg's stature will grow as the man who kept the coalition running smoothly, as Dave brings his unique brand of chaos-breeding lack of responsibility to his majority Tory government?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Okay - the report below from the NAO analysing the cost effectiveness of Universal Credit - a 37-page report linked below - the final two paragraphs I'm posting immediately below this:
Following receipt of a draft report in April 2015, the Department provided some
evidence on how it has tried to address issues identified in previous reports and how
other welfare reforms have considered these themes. In the Department’s view it has
made progress across programmes since the time of our initial reports.
This includes
addressing concerns about programme management on Universal Credit and reducing
the time taken to process Personal Independence Payment claims.

Given the selective nature of the evidence provided and the limited time to review
a wide range of programmes, we were unable to audit the evidence or consider the
additional information in detail.
We have acknowledged some recent developments
based on published information and statistics in Part One of the report. And we will
review several elements of the Department’s progress implementing welfare reforms
through our audit programme over the next few years.
(my bold)

The NAO is unable to do its job because IDS' department hasn't provided anyone with enough information to audit it appropriately.
IDS' department swears on his word of honour that progress has been made.
The report does contain memorable information; please find some of that posted below.
by the Comptroller
and Auditor General
NAO

Department for Work & Pensions
Welfare reform – lessons learned

The Department has accomplished a great deal in the past five years. It has taken
on an unprecedented number of reforms while cutting costs and managing a surge
in demand following the economic downturn.
The Department has shown that it can
introduce and adapt programmes flexibly in the face of uncertainty. And it has continued
to make progress in difficult major programmes despite early failings.

With continued pressure to reduce costs and improve services, the Department will
not be able to revert to a slow incremental approach whenever it encounters problems, or to
delay or reduce planned savings whenever it fails to plan for the uncertainty of assumptions.

The Department has had to manage a broad and radical change programme, and learned
some hard lessons with significant financial and human costs.
It is important that the
Department incorporates these lessons into an enhanced approach to managing change
quickly and based on more developed forward planning and anticipation of risks.

HC 77 SESSION 2015-16 29 MAY 2015
http://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/upload ... m-Book.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep.
Welfare reform – lessons learned.
That's the title of the report describing hard lessons, significant financial & human costs - ah - what? Spent?
Human costs.
Lessons learned.
The report manages to tell some of the horrifying truth about UC.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Rumours that Goldsmith may put himself forward for the Tory nomination for London Mayor in the near future.

If so he would undoubtedly be the toughest opponent for Labour to beat (and further points towards Tessa being their candidate)

Though how he might square this with his very vocal opposition to any Heathrow Airport extension will be interesting to see........
He'll have to fight off Sol Campbell :roll:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

There are a surprising number of very good comment BTL on this ... only surprising in that there seem to be more of the informed, well thought through ones than the often too frequent slag off anything and anyone to do with benefits type.
Universal credit could make working fewer hours more attractive – study
Welfare programme faces significant design problems and needs serious reform, nine-month review concludes

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... tive-study" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:There are a surprising number of very good comment BTL on this ... only surprising in that there seem to be more of the informed, well thought through ones than the often too frequent slag off anything and anyone to do with benefits type.
Universal credit could make working fewer hours more attractive – study
Welfare programme faces significant design problems and needs serious reform, nine-month review concludes

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... tive-study" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The article is based upon the report below.
Resolution Foundation.
http://www.resolutionfoundation.org/pub ... al-credit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Making the most of UC
Final report of the Resolution Foundation review
of Universal Credit
David Finch
June 2015

http://www.resolutionfoundation.org/wp- ... REPORT.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From the G politics blog (which has taken it from the Independent article)
Harriet Harman, Labour’s acting leader, tells the Independent in an interview that some Labour supporters were privately relieved the party lost the election. She said:
Sometimes after an election, you get a sense that people think ‘Oh my God, that is terrible, what a disaster.’ A lot of people felt that because we got nearly 40,000 new party members who were very disappointed. But there is an even greater number of people, even though they were not enthusiastic about David Cameron or the Tories, who feel relieved that we are not in government. We have got to address it. It was not a blip.
Does she have any idea how that comes across to the thousands of activists slogging their guts out campaigning for the election - or the candidates who didn't win or the former Labour MPs who lost their seats? How does she know 'there is an even greater number of people ... who feel relieved that we are not in government'? Where is the evidence of that? Unless she's talking about Tories and other non Labour supporters of course.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:From the G politics blog (which has taken it from the Independent article)
Harriet Harman, Labour’s acting leader, tells the Independent in an interview that some Labour supporters were privately relieved the party lost the election. She said:
Sometimes after an election, you get a sense that people think ‘Oh my God, that is terrible, what a disaster.’ A lot of people felt that because we got nearly 40,000 new party members who were very disappointed. But there is an even greater number of people, even though they were not enthusiastic about David Cameron or the Tories, who feel relieved that we are not in government. We have got to address it. It was not a blip.
Does she have any idea how that comes across to the thousands of activists slogging their guts out campaigning for the election - or the candidates who didn't win or the former Labour MPs who lost their seats? How does she know 'there is an even greater number of people ... who feel relieved that we are not in government'? Where is the evidence of that? Unless she's talking about Tories and other non Labour supporters of course.
Exactly. I saw it earlier and despaired. It's an evidence-free zone. What was she thinking (and I use that term very loosely)? At best it's an insult to almost everyone involved in Labour's election campaign.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

“As I Please” Column for Tribune, 12th June: On “Alice In Wonderland” & Modern British Politics
https://cartoonistrowson.wordpress.com/ ... -politics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rowson has such a lovely turn of phrase.
Government by Oxymoron is neither new nor surprising. One classically brilliant way of outmanoeuvering your opponents is to stop making sense. This leaves them gawping in disbelief while you make good your escape
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 21m21 minutes ago
One furious Tory MP on EU sack/don't sack confusion: 'They must make up their f***ing minds.' http://dailym.ai/1FEhp3v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Robert Hutton retweeted
Neitherangryorscared ‏@NeAnOrScared 20m20 minutes ago
@RobDotHutton over-interpreted is the new Mis-spoke

James Tapsfield ‏@JamesTapsfield 15m15 minutes ago
David Davis welcomes No10's "re-interpretation" on ministers' EU campaigning, says "vital" people can follow conscience

Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 16m16 minutes ago
David Davis tells #skynews "I want the clarification made more clear... vital that ordinary members of government can vote way they want"
:lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Blenkinsop ‏@TomBlenkinsop 9m9 minutes ago
Boots Axes 700 Jobs As Part Of 'Transformation' http://news.sky.com/story/1498213/boots ... s-part-of-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Fair to say that Harman's second stint as interim leader isn't going as well as her first......
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:From the G politics blog (which has taken it from the Independent article)
To me they have just done a normal "press speak" on her. Try it this way.
Sometimes after an election, you get a sense that people think ‘Oh my God, that is terrible, what a disaster’ a lot of people felt that because we got nearly 40,000 new party members who were very disappointed.
But there is an even greater number of people [who did not vote for us] even though they were not enthusiastic about David Cameron or the Tories, who feel relieved that we are not in government. We have got to address it. It was not a blip
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Just catching the news has prompted me to wonder what 'Let me be absolutely clear about this' actually means.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Sometimes after an election, you get a sense that people think ‘Oh my God, that is terrible, what a disaster’ a lot of people felt that because we got nearly 40,000 new party members who were very disappointed.
But there is an even greater number of people [who did not vote for us] even though they were not enthusiastic about David Cameron or the Tories, who feel relieved that we are not in government. We have got to address it. It was not a blip
Sorry AAW - got to disagree on this one. I've read the transcript several times and don't think it improves with different punctuation. It's a very gobbledygook statement taken all together anyway - which is why I've asked where the evidence for her comments are. Shame she felt the need to say something like this at the current time.

We got sent a little summer campaign briefing the other day ... I presume it came from the wider campaign organisers and was percolated out to branches. I looked at it and wondered if they thought we are all blinking idiots - it started with suggesting we thank candidates. This may be why I've not got much latitude for lax statements at the moment! I'm looking forward to seeing a bit more substance from the deputy leadership candidates - which I'm guessing because of who some of them are will probably contain a fair bit about the Labour movement and campaigning.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Willow904 wrote:... Dave's flip flopping all over the place this morning. I wonder if Clegg's stature will grow as the man who kept the coalition running smoothly, as Dave brings his unique brand of chaos-breeding lack of responsibility to his majority Tory government?
Maybe so, Willow, but shall never compensate for having enabled him.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:
Sadly you're right Anatoly. Tristram is a sort of cliche upper middle class name.

Having said that, the only Tristram I've met in real life was a little boy from a very working class family. His mum (Tracey) had lost a brother called Trevor and had originally wanted to call her son that name, only her husband vetoed it - hence the choice of the only other name they knew that started 'Tr-'. Plus she'd liked the character called Tristram in All Creatures Great and Small.
The name Tristram always makes me think of either Peter Davison in 'All creatures ..' or strangely enough Wagners Valkyries, both of which are 'Tristans'.
I quite like what I've seen of Tristram Hunt, though unfortunately & unfairly, he reminds me of Prince Charming from Shrek 2
Don't think I've ever met a Tristram, but did meet a Tarquin & Tabitha couple once, and sadly my preconceptions & prejudices were unharmed by the experience.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Sorry AAW - got to disagree on this one. I've read the transcript several times and don't think it improves with different punctuation. It's a very gobbledygook statement taken all together anyway - which is why I've asked where the evidence for her comments are. Shame she felt the need to say something like this at the current time.

We got sent a little summer campaign briefing the other day ... I presume it came from the wider campaign organisers and was percolated out to branches. I looked at it and wondered if they thought we are all blinking idiots - it started with suggesting we thank candidates. This may be why I've not got much latitude for lax statements at the moment! I'm looking forward to seeing a bit more substance from the deputy leadership candidates - which I'm guessing because of who some of them are will probably contain a fair bit about the Labour movement and campaigning.
The evidence is that Labour lost the election.
Either we want politicians to speak normally in a relaxed way, without having every word examined and taken out of context, or we continue to complain that they are robotic automations when they give stilted none-answers.
We can't have it both ways.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

utopiandreams wrote:
Willow904 wrote:... Dave's flip flopping all over the place this morning. I wonder if Clegg's stature will grow as the man who kept the coalition running smoothly, as Dave brings his unique brand of chaos-breeding lack of responsibility to his majority Tory government?
Maybe so, Willow, but shall never compensate for having enabled him.
Oh, I'm actually suggesting Clegg has done something even worse than enabling the Tories for 5 years. By bringing a smidgen of competence to the coalition government he may well have made them re-electable in a way they may not have managed on their own. Double whamy.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

FT Westminster
‏@ftwestminster
Paid-leave voluntary work pledge shelved http://on.ft.com/1KQ2qXL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well I never.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: To me they have just done a normal "press speak" on her. Try it this way.

Either we want politicians to speak normally in a relaxed way, without having every word examined and taken out of context, or we continue to complain that they are robotic automations when they give stilted none-answers.
I concede that the Independent's preamble might be misrepresenting what Harriet Harman meant. But they are certainly not misrepresenting what she actually said - so, really, it's a case of "their guess is as good as mine".

She's not new to this game, and should have worded her comments more carefully - if indeed she meant what you take her comments to mean.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

3h ago10:44

The Telegraph has identified six senior Tories who it thinks could resign over Europe. It’s a slightly odd list, because it includes Boris Johnson, who has not got a government job he could resign from (although he does attend political cabinet). The other names are: Philip Hammond, Sajid Javid, Michael Gove, Michael Fallon and Iain Duncan Smith.(Politics Blog, Guardian)
Who'd have thought that being an even bigger berk than any of that lot was the key to getting rid of them?

Cunning plan . . .
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Sorry AAW - got to disagree on this one. I've read the transcript several times and don't think it improves with different punctuation. It's a very gobbledygook statement taken all together anyway - which is why I've asked where the evidence for her comments are. Shame she felt the need to say something like this at the current time.

I concede that the Independent's preamble might be misrepresenting what Harriet Harman meant. But they are certainly not misrepresenting what she actually said - so, really, it's a case of "their guess is as good as mine".

She's not new to this game, and should have worded her comments more carefully - if indeed she meant what you take her comments to mean.
I tend to agree. It seems to me that if Labour has access to research and polling that suggests potential Labour supporters were relieved they didn't get in, then this is useful information that they need to incorporate into their strategy and keep going back to these individuals to test if their attempts to neutralise the poor perception of their economic competence are working. What they shouldn't be doing is voluntarily blabbing this negative research to the press. The press will attack Labour anyway, there's no need to provide them with the ammunition.