Friday 12th June 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Friday 12th June 2015

Post by LadyCentauria »

Gooooooood Morftereve :D
John Biggs 32,754, Rabina Khan 26,384
http://labourlist.org/2015/06/tower-ham ... -liveblog/

And Sabina Akhtar won in the Tower Hamlets By-Election for Stepney Ward, gaining control of the council for Labour :dance:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 12th June 2015

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Clangers back in stop-frame animation and everything. Hope they are as subversive as they were in my day.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Thank you Lady C for that Tower Hamlets mayoral and councillor news. A sterling effort to be up that late / early.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Student support grants 'could be cut'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33103878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grants given to the poorest university students could be cut as part of savings the Department for Business has to find, BBC Newsnight understands.
Proposals to start phasing out grants, worth up to £3,387 a year for students from less well off households, were first drawn up in 2013.
Back then, Nick Clegg, the ex-deputy prime minister, blocked the proposal.
But ministers are reconsidering the idea as they seek to find savings ahead of the Budget, Newsnight understands.
One source familiar with the discussions said: 'You tighten eligibility then eventually, move it down to nothing."...
It's no wonder they wouldn't spell out any of their 12bn of welfare cuts or the next phase of departmental cuts before the election. Who could have justified this as a fair cut? Why people believed their guff becomes ever harder to understand with each day that passes since the election.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

After falling for nearly 20 years, recorded crime rates are edging back up again
Recorded crime edged up by 2 per cent last year and figures next month are expected to confirm the trend

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 14624.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
After falling for nearly 20 years, recorded crime rates are edging back up again
Recorded crime edged up by 2 per cent last year and figures next month are expected to confirm the trend

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 14624.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I expect there's some delay to changes in such figures too, rebecca, from evolving societal pressures or a diminishing police force. Nevertheless I suspect there's also a lower percentage reported. Who knows?
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

F*** the IPCC.

Message ends.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

NonOxCol wrote:Morning.

F*** the IPCC.

Message ends.
We're talking about Orgreave and associated events here NOC? If so, it's indeed a disgrace.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Clangers back in stop-frame animation and everything. Hope they are as subversive as they were in my day.
Its creator, Oliver Postgate, was very ahead of his time. I didn't realise until recently that his grandfather was George Lansbury, Labour leader during the early 30s. Angela Lansbury is another of his grandchildren who did quite well.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Schofield ‏@schofieldkevin 12m12 minutes ago
So the SNP were at it when they said Labour voted to stop 16 and 17-year-olds having a vote in the #EURef. http://bbc.in/1GwBTPN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Full Fact
Did Labour vote to stop 16 and 17 year olds voting in the EU refere...
By Full Fact @FullFact
With the passing of yesterday’s House of Commons vote on the EU Referendum Bill, there’s already been disagreement over Labour’s position on the proposals. The SNP’s group leader in the Commons,...
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Clangers back in stop-frame animation and everything. Hope they are as subversive as they were in my day.
Its creator, Oliver Postgate, was very ahead of his time. I didn't realise until recently that his grandfather was George Lansbury, Labour leader during the early 30s. Angela Lansbury is another of his grandchildren who did quite well.
Oliver Postgate was a genius. He was also a C.O. during the Second World War. If you can find a copy of his autobiography, read it. A fascinating man, a creator of magic out of tiny things.
The truth ferret speaks!
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Ha, ha, ha. Following on from a comment under Steve Bell on ministers' surveillance powers – cartoon: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... rs-cartoon

I've since discovered that our acting PM may have been taken for a 'useful idiot', “KGB agents loved the Guardian”: http://ukmediawatch.org/2011/10/10/kgb- ... -guardian/
The term “useful idiots” is a phrase coined by Lenin to describe Soviet sympathizers in Western countries who genuinely considered themselves an ally of Soviet ideology, but were held in contempt by the Soviet regime and cynically used.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

F*** the IPCC.

Message ends.

Indeed, and the reasoning doesn't wash either, too long ago, what bollocks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Great news from Tower Hamlets - start of the fightback?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Great news from Tower Hamlets - start of the fightback?

Steady on now, Anatoly!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33103878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grants given to the poorest university students could be cut as part of savings the Department for Business has to find, BBC Newsnight understands.
Proposals to start phasing out grants, worth up to £3,387 a year for students from less well off households, were first drawn up in 2013.
But ministers are reconsidering the idea as they seek to find savings ahead of the Budget, Newsnight understands.
One source familiar with the discussions said: 'You tighten eligibility then eventually, move it down to nothing."...
It's no wonder they wouldn't spell out any of their 12bn of welfare cuts or the next phase of departmental cuts before the election. Who could have justified this as a fair cut? Why people believed their guff becomes ever harder to understand with each day that passes since the election.
Most Tory voters knew unjust policies were to be expected from a Tory government & voted for them regardless.
Most people find blatant unfairness indefensible.
Tory leadership, Tory voters, didn't bother trying to defend or deny despotism.
Squirrels & dead cats worked hard.
Attention can easily wander given all most people have to do during their day.
Nonetheless, non-Tory voters knew unjust policy were to be expected from a Tory government & voted for greater fairness instead.
The vote tally gave Tories a government but it wasn't the whole story.
Intentional distraction, lying & cowardice were the dishonourable election campaign tactics from the Tories.

Apparently, over 15,000,000 registered voters didn't exercise their right to do it in the 2015 GE.
A further 5,000,000 were eligible but unregistered at the time of the GE & didn't vote.
Over 20,000,000 people with the right to vote in the UK & we're without the benefit of their selections for representation.
About 20,000,000 people didn't vote - total.
Less than 31,000,000 people did vote - total.
It's not okay - this isn't appropriate in a representative democracy - something must be done to remind people we do have collective power.
We don't have to choose governments using policies removing financial aid for low-income students & giving tax breaks to billionaires - though we can if we want to.
But most people don't like blatant unfairness & therefore will be unlikely to vote lying, sullen, governments declining to remain accountable into leadership.

Angela Eagle is right - pay attention now to electoral registers & don't let anyone take voting privileges away from people.
It's not a baseless worry.
Deliberate disenfranchising people with the right to vote is real.

http://www.idea.int/vt/countryview.cfm?id=77" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Apologies - Good morning, everyone!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

F*** the IPCC.

Message ends.
Oh, no.
What's happened?
I'll look it up.

Independent Police Complaints Commission ?
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change ?

It's about police complaints, I think.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

IPCC announces decision following Orgreave scoping exercise
Jun 12, 2015

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has decided not to conduct an investigation into South Yorkshire Police’s handling of events at the Orgreave coking plant during the miners’ strike, and the subsequent prosecutions in 1984/85.

The decision follows an extensive scoping exercise relating specifically to the IPCC’s remit to investigate allegations of police misconduct. The reasons include:

- the passage of time means that allegations of assault and of misconduct could not now be pursued
- some matters were subject to complaints and civil proceedings at the time
- detailed analysis has not revealed any other issues in relation to individual officers which could now be investigated

Thousands of pages of documents, film, and photographic material from across the country were gathered, secured and analysed for the first time as a result of the complex scoping exercise following South Yorkshire Police’s referral in November 2012. New material continued to be identified and examined as late as December 2014.

The full rationale behind the IPCC’s decision is published today.
https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/news/ipcc-annou ... g-exercise" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

IPCC decisions on matters relating to the policing of events at Orgreave coking plant in 1984

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/sites/default/f ... 6-2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Annex 1
IPCC review of matters relating to the policing of events at Orgreave coking plant in 1984

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/sites/default/f ... 6-2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Afternoon. I don't get this. Two articles and two outcomes.
2015-06-12_090751.jpg
2015-06-12_090751.jpg (127.46 KiB) Viewed 12348 times
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/your-practi ... XoZwdtRGpo
That was 11 June
2015-06-12_090811.jpg
2015-06-12_090811.jpg (106.19 KiB) Viewed 12348 times
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/your-practi ... XqSfNtRFD8
That was 10 June
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

This is hysterical.

Interpol suspends FIFA partnership. Talk about brand contamination.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33107591
Release the Guardvarks.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

F*** the IPCC.

Message ends.
Good afternoon all.
My only surprise is that anyone is surprised about this :fire:
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

citizenJA wrote:... Attention can easily wander given all most people have to do during their day...
Quite some list, гражданка, and how it may have affected voting. I have however singled out the above as an example of the malaise I see around me; far too many value soap operas above even cooking a meal.

On a similar but tangential note, I see that Cameron, May et al think intelligence is gained by watching as much as is possible whereas I feel a discerning approach is preferable. When I speak of discerning, however, please appreciate there are 168 hours in a week and I must sleep for at least 20.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

The SNP don't pay poor Scottish students very much in grant, the Tories probably got the idea off them.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Great news from Tower Hamlets - start of the fightback?

Steady on now, Anatoly!
Indeed!

sui generis

I radically didn't vote.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

utopiandreams wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

I expect there's some delay to changes in such figures too, rebecca, from evolving societal pressures or a diminishing police force. Nevertheless I suspect there's also a lower percentage reported. Who knows?
Thing to look at first is demographics. Fewer 16-25 year old men in lower income groups, less crime, crudely speaking.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

They could always cut it by 40%. That's what the loveable leftwing SNP did.

Clegg could take some pride from the support for poorer students (within his overall shameful performance). But looking back, it's an obvious thing for a Tory government to cut.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

RebeccaR, have you had an email from Welsh Labour regarding July 5th?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hello, Skippy.

Nice to see back.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Thing to look at first is demographics. Fewer 16-25 year old men in lower income groups, less crime, crudely speaking.
Youth mischief has rocketed in Bracknell according to the police report. It used to be very bad here. Gangs of hoodies outside supermarkets. Even got dodgy at our local one. Then under Labour they upped neighbourhood policing and it nipped it right in the bud.
It was one of the first things that got cut when the Cons got in.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

More good news was that Peter Golds (whose stuff gets written up by Private Eye, and is, er, slanted) got less than 6,000 mayoral votes.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

utopiandreams wrote:
citizenJA wrote:... Attention can easily wander given all most people have to do during their day...
Quite some list, гражданка, and how it may have affected voting. I have however singled out the above as an example of the malaise I see around me; far too many value soap operas above even cooking a meal.

On a similar but tangential note, I see that Cameron, May et al think intelligence is gained by watching as much as is possible whereas I feel a discerning approach is preferable. When I speak of discerning, however, please appreciate there are 168 hours in a week and I must sleep for at least 20.
Human beings require a lot of things to keep healthy, creative...productive.

I have a great deal of compassion for regular people. I'm a regular person. Regular people spend a lot of their time working for currency to pay for shelter & food. After a day of this working & the combined duties, pleasures of caring for children, caring for parents, I understand it's a struggle to care about preparing a meal.

I like learning things for the sake of it. I'm on the computer a lot. I don't watch too much moving media. But my computer usage can distract me - as can a television, though I don't use the computer as a television. I read the long publications & statistical reports. Takes ages to get through. This activity may be keeping me from having conversations I should have more frequently with my neighbours. But my neighbours' choices will also need be respected.

Protecting the well-being of people & country is the job of UK government. I wish our democratically elected representatives would keep this in mind when creating & enacting every policy decision they make. Then people wouldn't have to spend all kinds of time finally planning non-violent protests in an effort to jerk justice out of bad government. It doesn't have to be this way. Most people are good. A few aren't & those few use their influence to profit from cultivating fear inside us in order to keep many confused, scared & less able to see what's happening.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Understanding international crime trends: The legacy of preschool lead exposure
Rick Nevin
National Center for Healthy Housing, USA
Received 12 August 2006; received in revised form 20 February 2007; accepted 23 February 2007
Available online 23 April 2007

Abstract
This study shows a very strong association between preschool blood lead and subsequent crime rate trends over several decades in the USA, Britain, Canada, France, Australia, Finland, Italy, West Germany, and New Zealand. The relationship is characterized by best-fit lags (highest R2 and t-value for blood lead) consistent with neurobehavioral damage in the first year of life and the peak age of offending for index crime, burglary, and violent crime. The impact of blood lead is also evident in age-specific arrest and incarceration trends. Regression analysis of average 1985–1994 murder rates across USA cities suggests that murder could be especially associated with more severe cases of childhood lead poisoning.

http://pic.plover.com/Nevin/Nevin2007.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/poor-gcse-resu ... -for-ukip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Poor GCSE results linked with voter support for UKIP
Though as Janet Downs says, the UKIP voters could be retirees.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sports Direct Protest.jpg
Sports Direct Protest.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 12167 times
chi onwurah retweeted
Ricky S ‏@ricky83s 6h6 hours ago
So, this is going on outside Oxford St at the min. Seems as if nobody is a fan of Mike Ashley!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
utopiandreams wrote: I expect there's some delay to changes in such figures too, rebecca, from evolving societal pressures or a diminishing police force. Nevertheless I suspect there's also a lower percentage reported. Who knows?
Youth mischief has rocketed in Bracknell according to the police report. It used to be very bad here. Gangs of hoodies outside supermarkets. Even got dodgy at our local one. Then under Labour they upped neighbourhood policing and it nipped it right in the bud.
It was one of the first things that got cut when the Cons got in.
Revealed: Anti-social behaviour hotspots in Reading, Bracknell and Wokingham

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... ng-9375020
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Interesting, OhSo.

btw, what do you mean by Community Policing? That's usually (I think) thought to have taken off in the 80s, in response to the awful relationships some police forces had especially with minority youth.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Hello, Skippy.

Nice to see back.

Gardening leave Tubbs, only thing I am fighting at the moment.

I can't link as I am on my phone, but has anyone read Campbell's latest, it's a long meandering read that bored me at times, something that hasn't happened before. But the crux is that if the next leader isn't doing it after three years he is going to speak out, and encourage others to do so, should I suppose respect his honesty, as I doubt he will hide behind others if and when he does.

And if truth be told I will support him, if he is correct in his judgement, Labour has to be ruthless or we will be in the same boat in 5 years time, still holding out for Starmer to gain experience and possibly Jarvis having a change of heart.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Gardening leave?

I went on front yard leave for an hour yesterday. Weeds have been growing up through it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Interesting, OhSo.

btw, what do you mean by Community Policing? That's usually (I think) thought to have taken off in the 80s, in response to the awful relationships some police forces had especially with minority youth.
Were they called Specials...Not actually police, but took over a lot of the community work?
The lady we had was brilliant. Excellent at her job, and made a lot of friends. Also because she was around so much and got to know the neighbourhood and residents, I believe they got some good leads to drug dealers.
They opened up a small office in our community centre and there was someone there for most days of the week, so you could pop in to see them if you wanted.
We used to take them in tea bags and packets of biscuits as a thank you...

We don't have a proper police force now in Bracknell...If they make a collar they have to take them to Reading and the few police we have are used for Ascot and Royal events in Windsor so it's pretty stretched at the best of times.

Not much of it left now though.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:RebeccaR, have you had an email from Welsh Labour regarding July 5th?
Just got it. Seems our 'local' hustings are to be in Cardiff not Swansea as we were initially told. Says everything to me. Swansea was doable - not sure about Cardiff and also not sure how useful it will be as the audience and questions are far more likely to be skewed towards the Cardiff bubble - that's our equivalent of the Westminster bubble for those of you not in Wales - equally out of touch with the parts they don't frequent or never venture to. Will have to talk to Mr Riots about it. We are going to our campaign review meeting tonight - so will have a discussion with him on the journey there and check out if anyone else from our group is going as well. Will message you over the weekend.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:RebeccaR, have you had an email from Welsh Labour regarding July 5th?
Just got it. Seems our 'local' hustings are to be in Cardiff not Swansea as we were initially told. Says everything to me. Swansea was doable - not sure about Cardiff and also not sure how useful it will be as the audience and questions are far more likely to be skewed towards the Cardiff bubble - that's our equivalent of the Westminster bubble for those of you not in Wales - equally out of touch with the parts they don't frequent or never venture to. Will have to talk to Mr Riots about it. We are going to our campaign review meeting tonight - so will have a discussion with him on the journey there and check out if anyone else from our group is going as well. Will message you over the weekend.
Ok, no worries, Swansea would have been preferable for me, just down the road, not sure I can be "arsed" to go to Cardiff on a Sunday afternoon..

Now if they really wanted to be local based they would have held it in Carmarthen, Aberystwyth.

Silly me, must stop being so naive..
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh, I didn't read it properly...the West London Free school that has been rated Outstanding is the primary not the secondary.

Interesting looking at the intake...
Pupils are from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds, with the largest group being White British. The proportion of pupils who speak English as an additional language is below average. Almost all of these pupils are bilingual.

The proportion of disabled pupils and those with special educational needs is well below average.

The proportion of pupils who are known to be eligible for the pupil premium, which is additional government funding provided for pupils known to be eligible for free school meals and looked after children, is well below average.
According to the school stats just out Hammersmith & Fulham has 24% white British at primary level. And yet he largest group at this free school is white British.

Same thing as that ARK primary school that was touted as being the best in the country - below average SEN and FSM.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh, I didn't read it properly...the West London Free school that has been rated Outstanding is the primary not the secondary.

Interesting looking at the intake...
Pupils are from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds, with the largest group being White British. The proportion of pupils who speak English as an additional language is below average. Almost all of these pupils are bilingual.

The proportion of disabled pupils and those with special educational needs is well below average.

The proportion of pupils who are known to be eligible for the pupil premium, which is additional government funding provided for pupils known to be eligible for free school meals and looked after children, is well below average.
According to the school stats just out Hammersmith & Fulham has 24% white British at primary level. And yet he largest group at this free school is white British.

Same thing as that ARK primary school that was touted as being the best in the country - below average SEN and FSM.
It's criminal, isn't it?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I notice that Ed Balls is going to a part-time lectureship at Harvard - cue the tedious "what does he know about economics?"

Usual sniping from the Mail )which I won't link to) with this rather odd para.
It is also in stark contrast to former Labour leader Ed Miliband who has been accused of hanging around Parliament 'like an awkward relative at a funeral' following last month's disastrous election defeat.
:roll:

He's an elected Member of Parliament you dimwit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Did they say the same thing about John Major when he stayed for the full length of the 1997-2001 parliament?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Did they say the same thing about John Major when he stayed for the full length of the 1997-2001 parliament?
Oh of course...not.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

‏@austinreeve 4h4 hours ago

Jeremy Corbyn emerges as the winner in LabourList leadership survey
http://labourlist.org/2015/06/jeremy-co ... ip-survey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

‏@MartinPercival0 52 seconds ago
Can you imagine how members will feel if they're not allowed to vote for a candidate who tops polls!