Tuesday 16th June 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 16th June 2015

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:Voters are looking for easy answers, some kind of shangri-la.

Will they become as disillusioned by the new boys as they did with the old? Who knows, but what I do know is that the austerity economics being peddled by Osborne is coming to the end of the road. If Labour are aping Tory economic policy when the next crash hits, how will they be able to offer the alternative that voters will be craving when the (Greek default/Deutsche Bank collapse) shit hits the fan? Corbyn may not be the leader to take Labour to election victory but he is dead right about one thing - it wasn't Labour's social policy that was wrong, it was their 'sounds just like the Tories' economic policy that was the problem for swathes of voters unable to process the small print.

I look forward to see what kind of party takes shape. If it's a good party, it will win power.
I often wonder why I bother actually posting here. Willow always says it better. :heart:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Incidentally, Tories paying £3 (including Toby Young I notice) to vote for Jeremy Corbyn to - in Young's words "consign Labour to electoral oblivion" is the very best reason that open primaries for selecting party candidates are a really, really bad idea.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ToriesForCorbyn?src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Incidentally, Tories paying £3 (including Toby Young I notice) to vote for Jeremy Corbyn to - in Young's words "consign Labour to electoral oblivion" is the very best reason that open primaries for selecting party candidates are a really, really bad idea.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ToriesForCorbyn?src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And why Corbyn should never have been allowed on the ballot.

I seriously hope Labour call time on this now and pull the plug on allowing new sign-ups to vote.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Incidentally, Tories paying £3 (including Toby Young I notice) to vote for Jeremy Corbyn to - in Young's words "consign Labour to electoral oblivion" is the very best reason that open primaries for selecting party candidates are a really, really bad idea.

I didn't agree with another commentator here suggesting it was a bad idea. I've thought more about it. I still think Labour's open vote is a good idea.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

2015-06-16_211654.jpg
2015-06-16_211654.jpg (104.86 KiB) Viewed 5859 times

https://twitter.com/WikiGuido/status/610447282778042368
2015-06-16_211827.jpg
2015-06-16_211827.jpg (122.23 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
http://order-order.com/2015/06/15/corby ... 9F8urhfQNw
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

I seriously hope Labour call time on this now and pull the plug on allowing new sign-ups to vote.
Yes, a "Only those signed up before the nomination process was complete will be counted" would have been sufficient

I suspect that anyone giving the reason for joining as "To consign Labour to electoral oblivion" will simply be kicked out. £3 down the drain.

I notice one of our "visitors" was on that hashtag list. Not surprised really...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

So do I. Can't understand how it happened.
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

thatchersorphan wrote:http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... t-election Trudeau announces plan to kill first-past-the-post by the next election. (Canada - they have elections in a few months, like us they currently have pro- austerity tories)
Very interesting.

One avenue open to Labour is to campaign on a binding promise to:

1. Introduce PR.
2. Take big money out of politics (state funding, very limited budgets, media regulation).
3. End all commercial lobbying.
4. Introduce an accurate and up to date mandatory to register electoral register.

They can then talk to Lib Dems and UKIP about collaborating to make that happen.

They can even argue a motivation for PR is to limit the influence of the SNP.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

gilsey wrote:

Will they become as disillusioned by the new boys as they did with the old? Who knows, but what I do know is that the austerity economics being peddled by Osborne is coming to the end of the road. If Labour are aping Tory economic policy when the next crash hits, how will they be able to offer the alternative that voters will be craving when the (Greek default/Deutsche Bank collapse) shit hits the fan? Corbyn may not be the leader to take Labour to election victory but he is dead right about one thing - it wasn't Labour's social policy that was wrong, it was their 'sounds just like the Tories' economic policy that was the problem for swathes of voters unable to process the small print.

I look forward to see what kind of party takes shape. If it's a good party, it will win power.
I often wonder why I bother actually posting here. Willow always says it better. :heart:
Don't you dare stop posting here gilsey.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

giselle97 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

So do I. Can't understand how it happened.
And now look at this. Not even sure if he's joking or it's real. Whatever, Labour has to make sure it's a fair contest.
Iain Martin ‏@iainmartin1 4m4 minutes ago
Tory donor tells me he is even prepared to pay for election-winning duo Lynton Crosby + Jim Messina to run #Tories4JeremyCorbyn campaign.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Replacing Jeremy Clarkson with the equally useless Chris Evans isn't going to tempt me into buying a licence.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:

I just checked in before going to bed and I'm all embarrassed now. Thank you very much. I'm flattered. I only write what I feel. And I just feel that pandering to the lowest common denominator (which is essentially what wooing Tories means) is unfair on the rest of us who wish for something better, but are considered unimportant because we don't live in a marginal. If that makes me a loser, so be it. Oh well. SH never did share quite what they see in Kendall, did they? I'll just have to go on wondering.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love
cJA
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I read this earlier. Shame there is nothing about the bloke who wrote it in the About section on his site. I'd like to know a bit more about his political background - which he says in the piece is very left wing - Marxist even.
Anne McGuire retweeted
Dan Walsh ‏@DanWalshie 1h1 hour ago
"Liz Kendall is nothing like the person you have been made to think she is". Great write up of Liz https://brianbackblog.wordpress.com/201 ... z-kendall/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Posting this comes under my heading of 'trying to remain open minded'. And I am - trying that is.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight, @cJA – sleep well :)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Donald Trump - President of the United States ... Can you imagine?

Today has definitely been 'one of those days'. Heard Trump telling the world (I'm sure he imagines the entire world is listening - hanging on every word - when he proclaims) he was entering the race to be the Republican candidate for President as I was carefully spraying the sickly tomatoes with Bordeaux mixture - good thing no other humans were close by at the time - they'd have been splattered. You'd think the Republicans couldn't have worse candidates or presidents than the last few they've installed - but no - Trump would trump the lot of them.

And the Tories here think Corbyn is extreme!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I read this earlier. Shame there is nothing about the bloke who wrote it in the About section on his site. I'd like to know a bit more about his political background - which he says in the piece is very left wing - Marxist even.
Anne McGuire retweeted
"Liz Kendall is nothing like the person you have been made to think she is". Great write up of Liz https://brianbackblog.wordpress.com/201 ... z-kendall/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Posting this comes under my heading of 'trying to remain open minded'. And I am - trying that is.
He's a lecturer in sociology, and access co-ordinator, at Coleg Gwent – according to linkedin. Interesting article and she certainly seems to have impressed him.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Donald Trump - President of the United States ... Can you imagine?

Today has definitely been 'one of those days'. Heard Trump telling the world (I'm sure he imagines the entire world is listening - hanging on every word - when he proclaims) he was entering the race to be the Republican candidate for President as I was carefully spraying the sickly tomatoes with Bordeaux mixture - good thing no other humans were close by at the time - they'd have been splattered. You'd think the Republicans couldn't have worse candidates or presidents than the last few they've installed - but no - Trump would trump the lot of them.

And the Tories here think Corbyn is extreme!
Trump's incredibly popular in Scotland. They love him in Aberdeenshire. According to Trump...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:I read this earlier. Shame there is nothing about the bloke who wrote it in the About section on his site. I'd like to know a bit more about his political background - which he says in the piece is very left wing - Marxist even.
Anne McGuire retweeted
He's a lecturer in sociology, and access co-ordinator, at Coleg Gwent – according to linkedin. Interesting article and she certainly seems to have impressed him.
Ah, thank you Lady C. I know someone who might know him then - or of him - and I can ask them a bit more re his credentials and instincts.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-0b49-M ... Lq.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; A GRIEVING mother was ordered to pay back £41.36 for her dead son’s overpaid benefits to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), it was revealed yesterday.
Rachel Degaetano received the letter last week after 21-year-old Chae Bennett committed suicide on April 15 this year in woodland near his family home in Barry, Wales.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 23376.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; UK Education Secretary Nicky Morgan, announcing her new 'behaviour tsar' during a speech at an academy in London, said his appointment was part of the government's "commitment to social justice" and a move to ensure "every single person in the country has access to the best opportunities Britain has to offer"