Monday 29th June 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 29th June 2015

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.

Night PF :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Goodnight, PorFavor
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Not read this properly..

Practice guide 47: transfers of public housing estates

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ng-estates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

@cJA: Piraeus Bank and National Bank of Greece both have branches in the UK. There are probably some Greek-owned merchant/private banks here, too, but I don't know of any more retail banks operating here.

I'm delighted that Lancashire County Council turned down the second fracking-application, there. Hope they're up for the fight that appeals will certainly bring!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jamie Reed ‏@jreedmp 2h2 hours ago
Jamie Reed retweeted George Osborne
The irony is burning my eyeballs. No wait, not the irony, the bare faced lying.

George OsborneVerified account
‏@George_Osborne
Labour has let down the North before and an Ed Miliband govt propped up by the SNP would do it again, cancelling key transport projects
I assume that was pre election George Osborne ... :roll:
Working on the wild side.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

‏@George_Osborne
Labour has let down the North before and an Ed Miliband govt propped up by the SNP would do it again, cancelling key transport projects
I do wonder what exactly he has in store for us in next week's budget that he (i) didn't announce in March and (ii) didn't bother putting in the manifesto.

It'll probably be "Oh, things were far worse than we told you about...so here's some more cuts"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

‏@George_Osborne
I'd be so embarrassed if Chancellor Jeff was my son.
It can happen.
A sort of mostly normal parent turning out a freak like Jeff.
Also, a thoroughly reprehensible parents can spawn a sweetie, you know?

I hope I've not offended anyone with these odd thoughts of mine; he's just so shockingly bizarre.
Nature or nurture, you know?
I'm just shaking my head.
How long 'til these people are gone?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Some of the comments under the G article on Liz Kendall shunning calls to soften her line re winning Tory voters are ... ouch.

It's been suggested she goes and stands against the Tory with a stonking majority in Watford and see how she gets on ... (she said she thought her line would win with voters in both Watford and Leicester as they want the same things ...)

and this one made me almost spit tea
evolute 1h ago

Sometimes, I think stick a pair of specs on her and she'd be Sarah Palin.

OK, not that bad, but there's something of the shoulder pads about her.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

For CJA
Clean Air in London ‏@CleanAirLondon · 4h4 hours ago
Please warn family, friends & others. MODERATE 4-6/10 ozone #airpollution episode from Tuesday http://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/forecasting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

‏@George_Osborne
I do wonder what exactly he has in store for us in next week's budget that he (i) didn't announce in March and (ii) didn't bother putting in the manifesto.

It'll probably be "Oh, things were far worse than we told you about...so here's some more cuts"
He rolled back on the cuts slyly last time, so he might do it again.

Nobody really cares about the actual numbers. He can just say "Labour would borrow more".
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Possibly too cuts to air passenger duty, following Scotland.

The joys of devolution, eh? Working for airlines and frequent flyers.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

philip lewis ‏@philewis · 10m10 minutes ago
G4S security guards granted limited police powers | UK Police News - Police Oracle http://fb.me/1Jih489DR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

citizenJA wrote:... How long 'til these people are gone?
Sadly, it's four years, ten months, and just over a week until the next General Election :( Trying to look on the bright side, though, the wait is getting shorter all the time. Perhaps we could have a countdown clock ;)

Greece is going to miss the deadline for its IMF payment, tomorrow – I just saw on the news...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh retweeted
Robin Henry ‏@Robin_Henry 3h3 hours ago
Donald Trump's shows, including The Apprentice, axed by NBC due to his "derogatory" comments about immigrants http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/nbc-don ... 201530568/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
What on earth is happening when the media in the USA (or at least some of it) seems to have a better developed sense of decency and equality than much of ours?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Israel blocks Gaza-bound activist flotilla

The Israeli navy has intercepted a Swedish vessel leading a four-ship flotilla carrying activists who intended to breach a naval blockade of the Gaza Strip. Israel says no violence occurred during the incident.
http://www.dw.com/en/israel-blocks-gaza ... a-18550525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Sadly, it's four years, ten months, and just over a week until the next General Election :( Trying to look on the bright side, though, the wait is getting shorter all the time. Perhaps we could have a countdown clock ;)

Greece is going to miss the deadline for its IMF payment, tomorrow – I just saw on the news...
Forget the countdown clock (I know, you had your tongue firmly in your cheek). I think we need an emoji or symbol for a duvet cover being pulled over one's head ... that's how I feel a lot of the time when confronted with the realities of this bunch in government.
Tonibel
Backbencher

Post by Tonibel »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

‏@George_Osborne

He probably left himself a note to say "Sorry, there's no money"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AngryAsWell wrote:philip lewis ‏@philewis · 10m10 minutes ago
G4S security guards granted limited police powers | UK Police News - Police Oracle http://fb.me/1Jih489DR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liz Kendall is probably writing something as we speak which boils down to "I don't see anything wrong with this"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

‏@George_Osborne

I've been flipping through some data from the ONS out today.
Both UK median household income and GDP per person have declined since the start of the economic downturn. In 2013/14, median disposable income was £500 (or 2.0%) lower than in 2007/08, while GDP per person in 2013/14 was 3.1% below its 2007/08 level. Most of the decrease in the value of the median disposable income occurred between 2009/10 and 2012/13, with median incomes in 2012/13 £1,200 (or 4.9%) lower in real terms than in 2009/10.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/household ... old-income" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeff, here's the result of your longtermeconomicplan.
It's grim.
Someone put the kibosh on the report below.
Too much bad news in one day.
Tory Chancellor Jeff, suffering personal investment losses, headache from words he can't understand, a messed up holiday itinerary & reports coming in non-stop ensuring his place in history as the UK's worst Chancellor ever.
Release: Who and Where are the Self-Employed Working at or from Home?, Census 2011 - CANCELLED
Released: 29 June 2015

This release has been cancelled to allow for further quality assurance.
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lmac/who- ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update ... -400-jobs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hatfield Colliery to close(last deep mine pit in Yorkshire)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:philip lewis ‏@philewis · 10m10 minutes ago
Liz Kendall is probably writing something as we speak which boils down to "I don't see anything wrong with this"
G4S Chief Accepts 73% Pay Rise
April 2015

Ashley Almanza has been chief executive of G4S since May 2013, taking over from Nick Buckles in the aftermath of scandals connected to G4S’s role in the 2012 London Olympics. Almanza has now been awarded 73 per cent pay rise, as a reward for making G4S profitable again. In 2014 he earned £2.5 million; in 2013 he earned roughly £1.9 million, thanks to the addition of a significant cash bonus to his base salary.
http://www.sourcingfocus.com/site/newsi ... _pay_rise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last year this from Labour:
On Labour’s analysis, if the Met had to cut its budget by £100m in 2016-7, it would have to trim police numbers by 1,298 if it relied on officer headcount reductions alone to achieve that level of saving. If the same level of saving was required for each of the four years, 5,194 posts could be at risk. Gareth Thomas, shadow London minister, said: “George Osborne’s plans for cuts in Metropolitan police funding ... would have a devastating impact on the quality of policing in London and be the final death knell for high visibility, bobby-on-the-beat local policing.”

Jack Dromey, the shadow policing minister, said: “The first duty of any government is the safety and security of its citizens. But from Lincolnshire to London, the message is clear. The immense cuts to our police service is undermining neighbourhood policing and putting at risk public safety and the protection of the vulnerable.”

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... r-officers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:For CJA
Clean Air in London ‏@CleanAirLondon · 4h4 hours ago
Please warn family, friends & others. MODERATE 4-6/10 ozone #airpollution episode from Tuesday http://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/forecasting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, thank you.
:zen: :heart:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:

There's no shame in doing your best & not having money.
Good faith negotiation met with humiliation, arrogance & impunity is frightful.
We're all Greece.
I tell you, money people will eat us all if they can get away with it.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Simon Danczuk has my sympathies (which is a first). But really when you marry a woman that much younger than you there is always the risk that she will one day wake up and see sense.

As for Greece, I have lost all respect for Merkel and the rest of the EU leaders. Greece will tell them to get stuffed, they are too proud not to.

Given capital controls are in-place, why not just convert everything to a new currency, default and move on.

You need a balanced budget to survive so collect taxes. Tourism season isn't over yet and next years will be a cracker. I am sure Putin will provide huge energy discounts in return for Greece vetoing every single EU measure against him.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Some of the comments under the G article on Liz Kendall shunning calls to soften her line re winning Tory voters are ... ouch.

It's been suggested she goes and stands against the Tory with a stonking majority in Watford and see how she gets on ... (she said she thought her line would win with voters in both Watford and Leicester as they want the same things ...)

and this one made me almost spit tea
evolute 1h ago

Sometimes, I think stick a pair of specs on her and she'd be Sarah Palin.

OK, not that bad, but there's something of the shoulder pads about her.
I'm going to have to meet Liz Kendall.
I can't get an idea who the hell she is.
I read cut up bits of her words & they sound dreadful.
Perhaps she's dreadful.
I don't know.
Media is a monster.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

HindleA wrote:http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update ... -400-jobs/

Hatfield Colliery to close(last deep mine pit in Yorkshire)
End of an era. And disaster for the workers being laid off, early. My grandfather started his working life as a coal-miner.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Simon Danczuk has my sympathies (which is a first). But really when you marry a woman that much younger than you there is always the risk that she will one day wake up and see sense.

As for Greece, I have lost all respect for Merkel and the rest of the EU leaders. Greece will tell them to get stuffed, they are too proud not to.

Given capital controls are in-place, why not just convert everything to a new currency, default and move on.

You need a balanced budget to survive so collect taxes. Tourism season isn't over yet and next years will be a cracker. I am sure Putin will provide huge energy discounts in return for Greece vetoing every single EU measure against him.
12,367 posts on the G live blog on Greece

http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... losed-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Changing currency is a pain in the ass.
I don't see why Greece has to go alone.
Greece isn't something to cast out.
The EU & the euro flaws were all pointed out & much of the forewarned danger has come to pass.
That doesn't mean the antidote is get out now.

I'm changing the subject just a bit.
I'd like some help with some basic questions I'm embarrassed to ask about.
What stops anyone in Greece from going to ATMs in other countries?
Does every Greek person have to be fitted with a special debit card?
You know, this EU thing has been going on sometime - regular people might have a bank account somewhere else in the EU, right?
What's stopping them?
We're allowed to move around.
Right?

I don't care for what happened to Cyprus.
'Some euros are different from other euros' = bullsh**
Do we have a European Community or is this here a police state?
Because police states cost money & police states are deeply unpleasant - shockingly antithetical for trade, tourism & nice prosperity Germany, France & all the rest of us rely on.
I had better not be hearing about how Greek friends aren't allowed to take vacations in our European communities.
Greek euros are the EU's euros.
Merkel, Juncker they're getting all distraught because they've created differences, outsideness, in their own heads.
'Greece is out, Germany/France/Netherlands in', for example.
To justify putting the hurt on Greek people through these stupid humiliations doing nothing but harm, it's necessary to other Greece & Greek people.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

VIDEO: Tsipras urges no Vote in the referendum

A treat for non-Greek readers - here’s an English translation of Alexis Tsipras calling for the Greek people to vote “no” on Sunday, and predicting that lenders won’t push for Grexit.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... 1832956d3b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cdn.theguardian.tv/mainwebsite/2 ... e_desk.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cool video.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Europe's big guns warn Greek voters that a no vote means euro exit
Germany, France and Italy joined the European commission in insisting that Sunday’s poll is about continued eurozone membership

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ance-italy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You don't want to do that, Big Guns.
Don't be stupid.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

And finally, the threat that Greeks are voting on their eurozone future on Sunday makes the front page of the Tuesday’s Guardian and the Financial Times:

Paul johnson @paul__johnson
No vote means you are out of Euro. Tomorrow's Guardian front page

FT: EU tells Greeks: You’re voting on the euro
Tuesday is going to be historic too -- with Greece’s bailout on track to expire at the end of the day, and an IMF default perhaps inevitable too.

And as it’s just turned midnight in the UK, I’d better stop. Thanks all, and goodnight. GW

http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... 75a173c155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

By what legal right?
By what legal right do you tell people what they read & what they vote for is what you say, not what their elected government have placed on the referendum?
By what legal right do you threaten Greek people with your frustrated, egotistical tantrums?
Stop it.
Get back to negotiating.
Admit you're wrong.
Resolve peacefully.
Stop wasting time.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... s-criteria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nicky Morgan
Education secretary raises the bar with new 'coasting schools' criteria
Nicky Morgan says secondary schools will be classed as coasting if they fail to ensure that 60% of pupils get five good GCSE grades
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight
love
cJA
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

More Greek banks with branches here, for you, @cJA. Alpha Bank has branches here but it's regulated by the Bank of England so has the same protections as British banks. And, Eurobank – which I don't think does have BoE protections. They were mentioned, alongside Piraeus and National Bank of Greece, during a statement and debate on the Eurozone and Greece in the HoL, yesterday.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... s-criteria

Nicky Morgan
Education secretary raises the bar with new 'coasting schools' criteria
Nicky Morgan says secondary schools will be classed as coasting if they fail to ensure that 60% of pupils get five good GCSE grades
That's bad news for half (or more) of the country's schools, then.