Tuesday 30th June 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 30th June 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 30th June 2015

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:Morning all.
I'd hate to think that you might be feeling neglected -

Good morfternoon to you and everyone else here.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
refitman wrote:Morning all.
I'd hate to think that you might be feeling neglected -

Good morfternoon to you and everyone else here.
This is why I try to remember to thank refitman for his opening thread post! Morning you two and guests.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 44m44 minutes ago
Maybe the heat's getting to me but I've just seen a man with a toilet - actual porcelain toilet - pushing in a buggy over Westminster Bridge
The wonder of London eh. That sort of incomprehensible but probably perfectly explainable scenario is definitely a part of city life I miss. (But west Wales can give it a run for the money with everyday wackiness of its very own type.)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

The free schools that have been inspected and reported recently have nearly all been Good or Outstanding but there's an Inadequate one with serious weaknesses (but not placed in special measures) out this morning.
Robert Owen Academy is a very small 14-19 free school. It is part of a single school academy trust.
 It opened for students in Year 10 in September 2013 and now has students in Years 10 and 11. Post-16 provision is planned to start in September 2015.
 The academy has been situated on two sites and is due to gain access to additional vocational work areas before the end of this academic year. Three Principals have led the academy since it opened and the current Principal took up post in September 2014.
Well, it's not "part of a single school academy trust" - it is the only bit of it!

I noticed one of the Regional Commissioners yesterday saying that he doesn't think that single school converter academies are that great an idea because of the lack of support they can count upon - presumably that goes for single academy trust free schools too then?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Maddox: Labour’s SNP lesson as ‘Scots voice’
http://www.scotsman.com/news/david-madd ... -1-3816276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... The committee stage of the Scotland Bill, when the main changes can be made, is then the best opportunity for the 56 SNP MPs to justify their election slogan saying they are “a strong voice for Scotland”. Yet the bold statistics this week have suggested that in reality it is Labour “standing up for Scotland” and taking on the government.

The committee stage yesterday, which dealt with financial matters, saw 51 amendments from Labour, more than twice as many as placed by the SNP who managed 24 and signed some of Labour’s on top of that. In today’s committee stage on the welfare measures, key to the bill, Labour placed 21 amendments to the SNP’s 15.

Today’s Labour amendment on allowing Holyrood to top up all benefits, which has since been signed by the SNP, is crucial for making sure the spirit of the Smith Commission is met. So the 75 amendments to 39 suggest that, despite only having one MP from north of the Border, a leaderless Labour Party appears to be making the running on the Scotland Bill, not the SNP despite the Nationalists’ claims of being the Tories’ “principle opposition”...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Barry Sheerman ‏@BarrySheerman 51m51 minutes ago
A new concept "we will re-broker failing academies" Nicky Morgan @BBCr4today
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
It's not new - they've been doing this for a while - something like 60 academies (IIRC) have changed sponsors.

AET handed back 8 academies because they couldn't cope with the geographical spread - shame they didn't point this out when they were handed to them eh?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... t-54713745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Osborne wants to legislate to make surpluses a legal requirement in “normal times” but has failed to define what that means. He previously described an attempt in 2010 to enshrine such strictures into law as “vacuous and irrelevant”. He will be challenged to explain this.
This article from Umunna is worth a read, if only to contrast with the rubbish Liz Kendall comes out with. I'm not sure about Umunna's strategic approach to rehabilitating Labour's economic credibility, but at least he shows signs of understanding what he's talking about. I would trust him more than Kendall because he can demonstrate that he grasps basic economics in a way Kendall doesn't. She may understand but chooses to talk in terms she thinks the electorate will get, but the simplification of complex economics simply plays straight into the Tories' hands and for this I can't forgive her. As I have said before, the lack of a standout candidate for leader is somewhat compensated for by some good people coming through the ranks and I feel Ummuna could well be one of them. I feel a little sorry for Spinning Hugo, they were keen on Ummuna and I can at least see qualities that makes me see why. Kendall makes for a poor back up.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
It's not new - they've been doing this for a while - something like 60 academies (IIRC) have changed sponsors.

AET handed back 8 academies because they couldn't cope with the geographical spread - shame they didn't point this out when they were handed to them eh?
Changed sponsors, maybe, but "re-brokered"? Sounds painful!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Liz Kendall at the Labour Party leadership hustings (from the Guardian's Politics Blog (emphases mine)) -

She says what people want is much the same everywhere in the country. As she has said before, she says, people want somewhere to live, something to do, something to value, and someone to love.
and -
Q: You don’t like being described as a Blairite? How would you like to be described?

As a Kendallite, Kendall says
So she sees the Labour Party's future in the dating agency sector? It all sounds very romantic.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Kendall. No.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:Liz Kendall at the Labour Party leadership hustings (from the Guardian's Politics Blog (emphases mine)) -

She says what people want is much the same everywhere in the country. As she has said before, she says, people want somewhere to live, something to do, something to value, and someone to love.
and -
Q: You don’t like being described as a Blairite? How would you like to be described?

As a Kendallite, Kendall says

So she sees the Labour Party's future in the dating agency sector? It all sounds very romantic.
I think Kendall's just there to make Cooper look like the reasonable centrist candidate - and it's working! I'm even warming to Cooper myself. She's very clever and she has an edge Burnham lacks. She has baggage that will make it hard for some people to support her, like Atos, I know, but the future jobs fund and Surestart are a reminder that some New Labour experiments worked better than others. Not sure she can beat Burnham, though, I assume he's still favourite.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote: I'm not sure about Umunna's strategic approach to rehabilitating Labour's economic credibility,
Umunna:
We must be big enough to say all this not only because it is true, but because if we have the humility to make some concessions, we might get a better hearing when we turn to defending our record and arguing – as we should – that it was not profligacy on the part of the last Labour government that caused the global financial crash. We, after all, had reduced the national debt from the 42% of GDP in 1997 to 37% of GDP on the eve of the crash. Our response to the crash stopped many repossessions and saved many, many jobs.

More importantly, if we say all of this, people might be more willing to listen to the arguments we make now about the Tories’ current economic record.
I don't like it at all, I think there's been too much mea culpa already. People stop listening long before you get to the bit about what Labour did right, let alone what the tories are doing wrong now.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Back from a meeting at school...and I;m watching the evidence session for the Education Bill.

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Inde ... 977df0ca3b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly I missed the first session with "Sir" Dan Moynihan which produced these tweets...

Schools Week ‏@SchoolsWeek 1h1 hour ago
.@NickGibbMP asks Sir Daniel Moynihan does at @HarrisFed in terms of improvement which is so different from others #edubill

and

Gibb also sets Moynihan up to sing praises of school turned around by academisation which was opposed. People will see through that #edubill

and

Now Gibb asking Moynihan about change in life changes of kids at school "turned around" by @HarrisFed. Is this an advert? #edubill

:sick:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh...session's just finished and I missed most of it. Damn.

Gibb's just asked the question of one of them whether they'd rather be a HT in an academy or in a LA maintained school.

Given that she's a CEO of an academy trust, guess what her answer was.

and

Schools Week ‏@SchoolsWeek 26m26 minutes ago
Once again Gibb asks witness to promote the value of academies model. Seems he's been sent here to anchor the positive stories #edubill

Is that his only purpose? Academies work because we say they do.

:wall:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just back from the hospital with Mr Ohso. Unfortunately he has bladder cancer. Booked in for an op on 17th, Hopefully it will be the more manageable sort.

Hospital were brilliant this morning. I just wish treatment could be quicker.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... scene.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cameron's stealth cut to disability benefits is obscene
Axing the Independent Living Fund without a plausible alternative will hurt vulnerable people while saving very little money

Julie Hartley-Brewer

Crocodile tears or am I being cynical.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thinking of you,ohsocynical.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:Just back from the hospital with Mr Ohso. Unfortunately he has bladder cancer. Booked in for an op on 17th, Hopefully it will be the more manageable sort.

Sorry to hear that, thoughts with you both. Apologies for the brevity.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ohsocynical

Hello.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Just back from the hospital with Mr Ohso. Unfortunately he has bladder cancer. Booked in for an op on 17th, Hopefully it will be the more manageable sort.

Please give Mr Ohso my love.
I give you my love, Ohso.
xx
cJA
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Sorry to hear your news Ohso. Thinking of you both.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Would Greeks still be able to travel abroad and withdraw their money from the nearest foreign cashpoint, or are all their accounts completely frozen?"

http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/54627152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone know the answer to this here?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sorry to hear your news ohso, will be thinking of you.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Rally in Athens on Monday against EU austerity and in favour of no vote in referendum.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... pras#img-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd like to visit Greece, I've never had the pleasure.
I've family here in the UK & they visit often.
They're non-political & little 'c' conservative, mostly.
Never a cross word from them about the Greek people & country.
They're beautiful people, Greeks, look at the beauty in the image - authentic beauty.
Looks like a pretty day too.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Thinking of you both, fingers & toes crossed that it is the more manageable sort xxx
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Is anyone listening to the leader hustings ?

http://www.unionstogether.org.uk/hustings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Sorry to hear that, hope things go well from now on.

Cancer is much more survivable now compared to when I was a young 'un (the very word was seen then as a virtual death sentence) Best of luck :hug:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Is anyone listening to the leader hustings ?

http://www.unionstogether.org.uk/hustings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kendall's up live!
I'm listening!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lunch will be served!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

They are back at 2:00pm for the deputy leaders debate
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Roger, have you seen Warwick's column today? As a pal on another board summarises.
nspiration Trust school application form: "The mathematics curriculum will be academic led, developed with and supported by Cambridge University, King’s College mathematics department."

King's College: "They were obviously confused when they filled in their application form. Their association is through the Cambridge Mathematics Education Project, a DfE-funded project based at the university’s centre for mathematical studies." Neither the university nor King’s College, Cambridge, had been involved in writing the school’s curriculum.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... -education" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Was the 50p top tax rate a vote loser? I'm wondering what evidence based conclusion is being used when Leslie (who I generally have a lot of time for) is saying this is a dead duck.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Damn.
Just got the last thirty seconds of Kendall.
It was the best I've heard her say ever.

The live stream is back up at 2.30 pm.

Apologies - I'm a Labour party member & supporter.
Missed Burnham, Cooper, Corbyn & most of Kendall live.
I've been reading about Greece.
There's only so much time to each day & I need to remember to use mine wisely.
The G live Political Blog is covering the Labour hustings - I've posted that link below.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... itics-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh...session's just finished and I missed most of it. Damn.

Gibb's just asked the question of one of them whether they'd rather be a HT in an academy or in a LA maintained school.

Given that she's a CEO of an academy trust, guess what her answer was.

and

Schools Week ‏@SchoolsWeek 26m26 minutes ago
Once again Gibb asks witness to promote the value of academies model. Seems he's been sent here to anchor the positive stories #edubill

Is that his only purpose? Academies work because we say they do.

:wall:
Once it's backed up you should be able to watch from the beginning in the archive. On the older version of the site, you could scroll back to the beginning but I don't know whether or not that's still true.

What do you think to the announcement that secondaries with fewer than 60% of pupils attaining A-C at GCSE, or primaries where fewer than 85% pass at KS4, and who do not have an 'improvement plan acceptable to the Regional Schools poobahs, will be given over to academy chains? I think it's crackers...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

If you read nothing more of mine, please read the following:
Bookmark the website posted below, everyone.
It's way better than Labour's yourbritain website.

edited to correct
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 30 Jun, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

So sorry to hear that, Ohso. Fingers crossed that it can be managed and that the hospital continue to be brilliant. Love to Mr. Ohso, too. xxx
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:Was the 50p top tax rate a vote loser? I'm wondering what evidence based conclusion is being used when Leslie (who I generally have a lot of time for) is saying this is a dead duck.
Leslie had a good campaign, but I have not been impressed with him as SC post-election.

When will the party's "revisionist" tendency realise that wholesale rubbishing of Miliband's platform doesn't give Labour "credibility", it just makes us look shifty and unprincipled.

There needs to be criticism, but it has to be nuanced and objective (as both Burnham and Cooper are at least attempting, tbf to them)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

LadyCentauria wrote: What do you think to the announcement that secondaries with fewer than 60% of pupils attaining A-C at GCSE, or primaries where fewer than 85% pass at KS4, and who do not have an 'improvement plan acceptable to the Regional Schools poobahs, will be given over to academy chains? I think it's crackers...
It's been pointed out elsewhere that grammar schools, even if they are above the floor target could be regarded as coasting given their intake.

The other thing it relies upon is this Progress8 measure which is between KS2 English and Maths and the GCSEs. That is not only GCSEs in English and maths but a whole lot of others too. There was a blog post which went through why this wasn't actually very useful.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:

They are back at 2:00pm for the deputy leaders debate
Back up with the DL debates
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Greek Bailout Fund

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Eurostar and Eurotunnel services cancelled for the rest of the day
Ferry services to and from Dover are also suspended as striking ferry workers blockade French port and set fire to the track in Calais

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... lais-again" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Internet connection keeps going on & off here in Stoke.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tbf to Liz Kendall in the last 24 hours she came out with one of her best lines of this contest - "Britain has become world class at creating jobs - low paid jobs" :)

She's still coming fourth, though (both - almost certainly - in my personal preferences and also, I strongly suspect, in the actual voting)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

hello all
still plugging away
full re-emergence probably closer Aug than July but best wishes to all here (and not here)
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

I miss Ed. :sad:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:"Would Greeks still be able to travel abroad and withdraw their money from the nearest foreign cashpoint, or are all their accounts completely frozen?"

http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/54627152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone know the answer to this here?
Assume there are daily limits outside Greece.

Cyprus had capital controls- finally lifted a couple of months ago.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Greek Bailout Fund now at 203,838EUR

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;