Tuesday 30th June 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 30th June 2015

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Like this chap.
GeoffWhit NicholasB 3m ago

Presumably you're in favour of a concomitant reduction in VAT rates, similar to the one that 'prevailed almost all the time under Labour'?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Barry Sheerman ‏@BarrySheerman 51m51 minutes ago
A new concept "we will re-broker failing academies" Nicky Morgan @BBCr4today
It's not new - they've been doing this for a while - something like 60 academies (IIRC) have changed sponsors.

AET handed back 8 academies because they couldn't cope with the geographical spread - shame they didn't point this out when they were handed to them eh?
Aren't there some who've had two different chains fail with them?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

StephenDolan wrote:I miss Ed. :sad:
Remarkably, he seems to have taken last month better than most of his supporters :shock:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The SNP have protested strongly after it was reported that ministers intend to announce on Thursday plans to introduce “English votes for English laws” (Evel) by changing Commons standing orders. Angus Robertson, the SNP leader at Wesminster, said he has written to David Cameron about this.
You wanted them to win.

You'd better hope that Cameron keep his swivel eyed loons in check, so that the two of you can play the same mutually-reinforcing game again in 2020.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:"Would Greeks still be able to travel abroad and withdraw their money from the nearest foreign cashpoint, or are all their accounts completely frozen?"

http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/54627152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone know the answer to this here?
Assume there are daily limits outside Greece.

Cyprus had capital controls- finally lifted a couple of months ago.
How's that work though?
Nothing stops a Greek citizen from having a Co-op account, for example, here in the UK, or not?
Or an account full of their euros anywhere in the EU or non-EU?
Pop over to Italy for a day trip get some euros.
Internet banking has full functionality.
I don't understand how the Greek people can be kept from their euros.
I do understand the ATMs physically run out in Greece, got that.
Greek bank accounts - does anything stop a Greek person having a bank account with, jesus, I don't know, Lloyd's or Co-op, like I've mentioned?
Does a Greek person have some code attached to their citizenship that identify any bank account with their euros in it as Greek?
I understand Greek banks but those are boutique banks, speciality banks - not many Greek people use those.
We've got a globally interconnected world & I don't understand how anyone can switch off Greek people from their money globally.
Am I making sense at all?
Because I've not been able to find out answers to these questions.
And it seems a lot scare for nothing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Like this chap.
GeoffWhit NicholasB 3m ago

Presumably you're in favour of a concomitant reduction in VAT rates, similar to the one that 'prevailed almost all the time under Labour'?
Me too.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
The SNP have protested strongly after it was reported that ministers intend to announce on Thursday plans to introduce “English votes for English laws” (Evel) by changing Commons standing orders. Angus Robertson, the SNP leader at Wesminster, said he has written to David Cameron about this.
You wanted them to win.

You'd better hope that Cameron keep his swivel eyed loons in check, so that the two of you can play the same mutually-reinforcing game again in 2020.
An interesting move, but really if you are going to alter the basis of British parliamentary democracy you should do it via legislation.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

As news of the third bailout request sent ripples through the eurozone, Greece’s finance minister left the finance ministry.
His destination -- the prime minister’s residence, Maximos Mansion, for a meeting. First though, Yanis Varoufakis had to negotiate his way through the Athens traffic, and the gridlock of reporters outside his office. Other members of Greece’s negotiating team have joined Yanis Varoufakis and Alexis Tsipras at the PM’s mansion to discuss the situation
(in a blow for photographers, they didn’t all arrive on motorbikes)
http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... bfe53fc0a5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No security staff for any current Greek government peoples.
How wonderful that is.
I love them.
They live right.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Talking of academy chains...two reports from yesterday.

1. South Shore Academy.
Last Ofsted in Jan 2013 - Inadequate
Sponsored w.e.f. 1st Dec 2013 with Bright Futures
Latest Ofsted - Inadequate and in special measures

Leadership is inadequate and has been so since the academy’s opening.
The governance provided by the trust and the local governing body is inadequate.

2. Manchester Creative and Media Academy
Sponsored since Sept 2009 by The Manchester College (although Ofsted says Microsoft and Manchester City Council which is a bit odd)
Last Ofsted in June 2013 - Requires Improvement
Latest Ofsted - Inadequate with serious weaknesses

Wait for it...

The sponsorship of the academy is in a transitional phase. Current sponsors, Microsoft and Manchester City Council, are in the process of handing over to the Bright Futures Educational Trust.

Doh!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Talking of academy chains...two reports from yesterday.

1. South Shore Academy.
Last Ofsted in Jan 2013 - Inadequate
Sponsored w.e.f. 1st Dec 2013 with Bright Futures
Latest Ofsted - Inadequate and in special measures

Leadership is inadequate and has been so since the academy’s opening.
The governance provided by the trust and the local governing body is inadequate.

2. Manchester Creative and Media Academy
Sponsored since Sept 2009 by The Manchester College (although Ofsted says Microsoft and Manchester City Council which is a bit odd)
Last Ofsted in June 2013 - Requires Improvement
Latest Ofsted - Inadequate with serious weaknesses

Wait for it...

The sponsorship of the academy is in a transitional phase. Current sponsors, Microsoft and Manchester City Council, are in the process of handing over to the Bright Futures Educational Trust.

Doh!
Wasn't the private sector supposed to bring greater diversity & savings into the provision of public services, RogerOThornhill?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30 ... 5686833466" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Universal Credit white elephant needs 'urgent breakthrough' says MP

The policy as it stands is unimplementable and needs to be reworked at a political level," said independent consultant and analyst Brian Wernham. "The civil service has tried three times now to implement the policy and have failed. When you keep banging your head against a brick wall and its hurting, the logical thing to do is stop."
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:Just back from the hospital with Mr Ohso. Unfortunately he has bladder cancer. Booked in for an op on 17th, Hopefully it will be the more manageable sort.

Hospital were brilliant this morning. I just wish treatment could be quicker.

Hello OhSo.

Sending you and Mr.OhSo a big hug. :hug:

Everyone - I'm not sure that the Greek crisis is as urgent as everyone seems to think; the creditors have 30 days to report a default, so there is plenty of wriggle-room yet.

Meanwhile - I am very sure that some of the people holding high office in the EU and elsewhere have forgotten the basic principle of democracy. The people decide.

Why this idea that Tsipras is wrong to do what he's doing has gained traction is beyond me. He's doing what he said he would do if elected. Others would do well to emulate him.

I can't help it. I fancy Yanis Varoufakis something chronic.......
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@StephenDolan

I still miss Ed Miliband, too. Still getting the lead weight memory every morning when I wake up.

I wish the leadership contest would hurry up and be over - then I expect we'll hear more from him. He has much to contribute and I hope his talents are put to good use. Which I think they will be once Liz Kendall is sent packing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Just back from the hospital with Mr Ohso. Unfortunately he has bladder cancer. Booked in for an op on 17th, Hopefully it will be the more manageable sort.

Hospital were brilliant this morning. I just wish treatment could be quicker.

Hello OhSo.

Sending you and Mr.OhSo a big hug. :hug:

Everyone - I'm not sure that the Greek crisis is as urgent as everyone seems to think; the creditors have 30 days to report a default, so there is plenty of wriggle-room yet.

Meanwhile - I am very sure that some of the people holding high office in the EU and elsewhere have forgotten the basic principle of democracy. The people decide.

Why this idea that Tsipras is wrong to do what he's doing has gained traction is beyond me. He's doing what he said he would do if elected. Others would do well to emulate him.

I can't help it. I fancy Yanis Varoufakis something chronic.......
I've missed you.
I agree with every word.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30 ... 5686833466

The policy as it stands is unimplementable and needs to be reworked at a political level," said independent consultant and analyst Brian Wernham. "The civil service has tried three times now to implement the policy and have failed. When you keep banging your head against a brick wall and its hurting, the logical thing to do is stop."
Right wing governments all fall down!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Goodnight, PorFavor
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Greeks abroad have credit cards rejected amid confusion over capital controls
Analysts say Greek banks are interpreting rules in different ways, with some authorising foreign transactions and others refusing payments

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/j ... edit-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This horseshit doesn't need to be happening.
We are all Greeks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Analysts say Greek banks are interpreting rules in different ways, with some authorising foreign transactions and others refusing payments

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/j ... edit-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are all Greeks.
It doesn't, and we are.

Trouble is that it's not a good sign for any Greece "on its own".
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
You wanted them to win.

An interesting move, but really if you are going to alter the basis of British parliamentary democracy you should do it via legislation.
No doubt about that. It's pretty incredible arrogance from the Tories. Perhaps calculated to annoy the SNP.

Constitutional court?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Evening all.

Sending a huge amount of love to Ohso and Mr Ohso ... and so good to hear how brilliant the hospital is.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ephemerid wrote: I can't help it. I fancy Yanis Varoufakis something chronic.......
And you've never felt the same way about George Osborne - our newly svelte Chancellor? Funny that.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There was a short debate in Westminster Hall concerning Welfare Reform and People With Disabilities this afternoon.Here is Hansard for those interested:-

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... nown/1508/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ephemerid wrote: I can't help it. I fancy Yanis Varoufakis something chronic.......
And you've never felt the same way about George Osborne - our newly svelte Chancellor? Funny that.
Eeewwww!!!!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Me too :(
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

We are all Greeks.
It doesn't, and we are.

Trouble is that it's not a good sign for any Greece "on its own".
There is no way Greece can be legally, legitimately be forced out of the EU & the euro over debt.
No matter what happens, everyone, please don't forget this.
Forgive me for revisiting this again, posting this message.
Don't let anyone anywhere allow us to be cajoled into agreeing 'Greece is better out'.
Oh, no, not like this, not in current circumstances.
I must point out to you, friends, this is horrifyingly dangerous, what's happening to our EU partner, Greece, at this time.
I've come to understand that current Greek government are probably about as good a crew of leaders for fair-minded people anywhere in the world. When Tsipras said, 'We're doing this for democracy, we're doing this for you, EU countries', I may have been cynically dubious. Not any more. He & his government are probably doing an incredibly heroic thing for the benefit of Spain, Portugal, Italy, ultimately every single nation full of people being made to shoulder the debts of financial sector.

Everyone, not doing a deal doesn't make sense. My blood ran cold after reading his 'Plea for Greek peoples vote Yes'. You're a liar, Juncker. And that's a scary thing. You're hoping most people just won't notice. Greece is being forced out, forced down, made an example of. Now force may well get away with it. Don't forget what's happening though. This isn't right. I hope something works out, everyone because it's gruesome, the lies, the made up justification stories. Terrifying reading. Nothing surprises me any more. Not after we lost a Miliband government. Don't laugh at me. I shake my head these days. Hold together. People will hurt others for money. People with lots of money already will hurt people for some little bit more money. Or for what money represents. Sick. This isn't about money, it's not about debt. I'm chattering too much. I'll stop now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Aye! :rock:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

LadyCentauria wrote:

...and me :(

So here he is doing his constituency thing :)

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/new ... -1-7334505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Greek Bailout Fund page is so busy its crashed

https://s3.amazonaws.com/igg-errorpage/ ... tml#/story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Indiegogo ‏@Indiegogo · 2m2 minutes ago
We're experiencing connectivity issues due to overwhelming worldwide interest in the @GreekBailout campaign. Thanks for your patience.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Last post tonight, I promise - I've gone to read Richard Murphy - this is only two days old - he's written more but this below moved me.
All of which is unnecessary. Greece made mistakes in its economy, for sure. As a result it has paid an incredible price in the destruction of physical, human and monetary capital over the past five years. It cannot be expected to bear more. The Greek government has been right to say that the time to say enough has arrived. It was time for the EU, IMF and ECB to say debt write down had to be on the agenda. But austerity and more misery for the people of Greece has been instead. It is as if the lessons of 1919 had never been learned, most especially by the Germans.

Recriminations, referenda, and offers can come now but the point where the damage might have become irreparable may have already been reached. Can anyone trust their supposed partners again when they make clear that in an hour of need the answer to the question will be no? Because that is what has been said today.

In that context the argument about ever closer union is meaningless.
And the argument about monetary union is just nonsense.
There is just power. Ugly, brutal, financial power apparently exercise by homo economicus without compassion, as the breed demands.
And when faced with that no one can be sure how homo sapiens will respond.
That’s what worries me: this is a tragedy in the making.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015 ... weEr2.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

P.S.
...whatever it says on the ballot paper in Greece the real choice, according to Europe’s elite, is different. They are saying to the people of Greece that the referendum is about staying in the euro, or not. And there is little, if anything, that is subtle about their approach. It is a ‘shut up, do as you’re told, take the medicine and live under our protection’ argument that many a feudalist would have been entirely familiar with.

And what they are also delivering is a ‘get rid of Syriza and Tsipras’ message. As the Guardian has noted, the unspoken message from Germany is that Tsipras is a dangerous man on a mission who has to be stopped because he is a threat to the European order.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015 ... sm8R2.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Richard Murphy
30 June 2015

goodnight, friends
I love you.
cJA

thank you for your patience with me
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

£16bn moneypit project shambles on, ignoring deadlines as it goes

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30 ... hrough_mp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

@cJA: Any greeks here or there can withdraw up to the normal daily limit from accounts they hold with non-Greek banks. If they are here but trying to withdraw via an ATM but from a Greek bank (or even over the counter) the funding bank will refuse to let them withdraw more than the equivalent of sixty Euros.

It should work the same way as in this example: I have a current account with a British bank so I can withdraw up to £250 per day through ATMs. My brother has a CardCash account from the same British bank but the special limits of that sort of account means he can only withdraw up to £50 per day through ATMs. Hope that helps!

Whichever ATM you use checks with the account-holding bank's system to confirm first that you've entered the correct PIN for the card, then that you have sufficient funds for the amount you wish to withdraw, and finally that that amount falls within the daily limit for the type of account you hold. In the case of Greek banks, they will have instituted a blanket daily-withdrawal limit on all personal accounts and that will be pinged to whichever ATM you try to use, anywhere on the international system.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Alastair Campbell ‏@campbellclaret · 55 mins55 minutes ago
Could the resident Education Dept maths expert explain to @NickyMorgan01 that it is impossible for 'all' to be 'above average'
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Remarkably, he seems to have taken last month better than most of his supporters :shock:
He's missed out on power but got his life back.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bonnie Greer retweeted
Noble Francis ‏@NobleFrancis 12h12 hours ago
@Bonn1eGreer Before people get excited, despite the promises, there has been no rebalancing in the UK Economy...

Bonnie Greer retweeted
Noble Francis ‏@NobleFrancis 11h11 hours ago
@Bonn1eGreer Only Services (8.6% higher than where it was seven years ago) has driven the UK economic recovery.

Bonnie Greer retweeted
Noble Francis ‏@NobleFrancis 11h11 hours ago
@Bonn1eGreer UK manufacturing in Q1 was 4.5% below where it was in seven years ago & #construction 3.2% below.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@RR2

Construction and production at the weakest growth in two years.

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2015/06/sa ... everaging/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:@RR2

Construction and production at the weakest growth in two years.

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2015/06/sa ... everaging/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know how Osborne and co have got away with their double speak on the economy for so long .... i.e. it's all wonderful because of our long term plan (when it so clearly isn't) ... but we're still in terrible doo dah so we've got to cut cut cut anything that's yours not mine.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Simon Jenkins and all have done their job. And Larry Elliott, who did a half-arsed pros and cons piece where he got the projected cost wrong by £14bn.

Utterly ill-informed collection of letters on HS2 in The Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... he-fantasy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John McDonnell ‏@johnmcdonnellMP 39m39 minutes ago
BBC claiming Davies supporting Heathrow 3rd Runway.If correct this will provoke greatest environmental campaign this country has ever seen
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

The IMF deadline has passed. Greece has missed it's payment. We're now in uncharted territory – as far as 'developed Western economies' go...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33327904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... -embassies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

US and Cuba to announce agreement to re-open embassies
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
John McDonnell ‏@johnmcdonnellMP 39m39 minutes ago
BBC claiming Davies supporting Heathrow 3rd Runway.If correct this will provoke greatest environmental campaign this country has ever seen
It didn't before when the Labour government supported it.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Dear Ohso, thinking of you and Mr Ohso. you are in my prayers and wishes for the best possible outcomes.