Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th July 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th July 2015

Post by AngryAsWell »

You have to look at the numbers, not a handful of people. And it is also a bit unfair to require me to say "Person X actually looks a bit shit" (although I am less impressed by that list than you.)

Labour is the party of the working class. It is absolutely fine that it has many people from middle class backgrounds in the leadership. Attlee was no horny handed son of toil, and nor was Blair. The problem now is that there is nobody at all in the front rank who is working class. That is what made the loss of AJ so serious. it just isn't so big problem for the Tories that they are a bunch of rich people: that is who they represent anyway.

it isn't just who gets selected, but who gets promoted once elected. Look at the frontbench and the proportion of ex-Spads is much higher than amongst MPs in general. That is because it is a club: people get promoted because they are known. it is also the case that they are younger, and so have more of an opportunity to get promoted and so make it to leader. Look at the list of candidates for leader this time and last: ex-SpAds.

I can give positive suggestions on how to diversify MPs, but the ex-SpAds getting promoted problem is even more serious.
That's the last thing I was asking you do - "Person X actually looks a bit shit" - come on please.
I posted them to illustrate that there are many "working class" (whatever that means) Labour MP's and ones who have lots of life experience. The current front bench is obviously going to be as you describe as the new intake haven't even got their feet under the table yet, give it time.
In 2010 (or 11) Labour launch a big "get involved campaign" inviting people to stand for election, they provided basic training (about parliament and how it works, the media etc.) and many of the 2015 newbies originate from that scheme.
I'm in two minds about the ex-Spads thing, as I said earlier I want someone representing me who knows the ropes and their way around. Every occupation has a learning curve and if someone is interested in politics to the extent they are making it a life time choice - is that a bad thing? I don't know that it is so bad. Agree there should/must be other ways of getting to the top though.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jeremy Corbyn MP ‏@jeremycorbyn 2m2 minutes ago
The people of Greece have spoken, austerity has failed them and Europe must recognise this and end the human suffering.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Owen Jones retweeted
Alex Andreou ‏@sturdyAlex 1h1 hour ago
Please understand - with banks closed and people being told all day their savings will be taken - what a massive FUCK YOU EU this is.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Tories’ message on social housing is that the state is for losers
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... il-housing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good from Zoe Williams. She nails the key assumptions and impacts of this latest nasty policy. And this BTL exchange is exactly what I foresee as happening ...
only1HarryH 17m ago
We've had help to buy from the Tories.
Now this looks like pushed to buy, as no doubt many of these high earners will arrange a mortgage and take advantage of any discount going rather than pay market rent.
Not sure how this will help the homeless, a boost for financial services though.

anonmeuk only1HarryH 9m ago
This is exactly what I intend to do.

I'm in social housing as I lived on the streets when I was younger. I also lack a supportive family, and what family exist are worth nothing and cannot help me, I will inherit nothing upon their death.

I've used my time in social housing to educate myself, gain qualifications, get work experience, and a year ago I finally earned a high salary.

I never exercised my Right to Buy, choosing to use my time here wisely and leave the flat to someone who needs it more.

However, I'm not yet ready to move to full market rate. If I do so I will be permanently excluded from home ownership as I will never be able to save a deposit (and there is no help for me anywhere).

I had hoped to stay here for another 2-3 years to save a deposit and move out of London to a place of my own. But this announcement changes everything.

Now the only way to get a deposit to move out will be by exercising the right to buy, staying for the three year minimum, selling the flat, and using the discount in the Right to Buy as the deposit.

The government are forcing this flat off the social housing books, nothing more will be achieved. It's heartbreaking, because whilst my plan has now changed and it won't greatly affect me, I know my actions will now deprive someone in need of a home in a few years time.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

From the FT

Cameron’s war on tax credits could backfire

Far from the problem, tax credits have become an essential part of the solution to low paid work. Weak incomes are in large part a consequence of how the globalised economy subjects the lowest paid to relentless competition. Tax credits, which trace their lineage to the “family income supplement” introduced by Conservative prime minister Edward Heath in 1970, have blossomed partly because they work, both as a way of boosting work incentives, and for alleviating poverty. Whatever solutions Mr Cameron may want to emerge from the private sector, cutting them as hard as he intends will probably set back both of these goals.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Osborne.
“It has become a very, very expensive system. When it was introduced, we were told by Gordon Brown it was going to cost a couple of billion pounds,”
Bollocks. Replaced Family Credit, which had started in 1986.

He's either deliberately misleading, or too thick to understand what was announced.
The Treasury estimates that the new tax credits will cost £2.7 billion in 2003–
04, and slightly less in 2004–05
Ok so far. But see the next bit.
However, this cost should be seen in the context of the increases in benefits
and tax credits for families with children seen so far under Labour. The total
level of central government financial support that is conditional on having
children has risen from £13.7 billion in 1997, to £19.2 billion in 2002 and
£21.2 billion in 2003.24 The government estimates that £13 billion of support
will be channelled through the child tax credit
,25 which means that it will
replace child benefit as the most important programme for supporting families
with children.
So the "couple of billion" is the new cost of these credits. Existing money was channelled through these credits. Osborne is either misleading or too thick to understand the system.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn35.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:From the FT

Cameron’s war on tax credits could backfire

Far from the problem, tax credits have become an essential part of the solution to low paid work. Weak incomes are in large part a consequence of how the globalised economy subjects the lowest paid to relentless competition. Tax credits, which trace their lineage to the “family income supplement” introduced by Conservative prime minister Edward Heath in 1970, have blossomed partly because they work, both as a way of boosting work incentives, and for alleviating poverty. Whatever solutions Mr Cameron may want to emerge from the private sector, cutting them as hard as he intends will probably set back both of these goals.
I didn't know they went back to Ted Heath.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Take up was low for some time,ironically it "ballooned" under Thatcher when it became more generous.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
Higher income earners who live in social housing will no longer be able to claim taxpayer-funded subsidies for their rent under a fresh welfare cut expected to be announced by George Osborne in his Summer Budget this week.

The “Pay to Stay” measure, which will form part of the Chancellor’s attempts to slash the Government’s welfare bill by £12bn, will scrap benefits for some 350,000 people who live in housing association and local authority properties. The move will save £250m a year by 2018/19, a fraction of the £12bn Mr Osborne plans to cut.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 66555.html
Hmm. Well.. For a kick-off, there is no bloody subsidy on council rents – they are what they are! In fact, it's more that there's a premium on private rents (the so-called 'market' rent.) Then:
The Treasury will recoup the additional rental income that local authorities receive, which will be used to reduce the deficit and generate extra income for housing associations to reinvest in affordable housing.
So, even though councils will be forced to charge so-called 'market rent' to people on 'higher' incomes (which will require means-testing of every single tenant!) that money will not go to the councils themselves but straight off to the treasury to a) help them balance their own books and b) to help fund the discounted-sale and then replacement of HA dwellings – which councils are already to be forced to part fund by the further sale of their own 'higher-value' properties. It's enough to make you sick, if you weren't already...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I think - as with the BBC - they should move the HoC to Salford.
Send Cameron and co among the Mancs.
Maybe even a new show in it - the Great British posh-off.
Only just seen this, after work, but I've got to protest - what the hell has Manchester ever done to deserve being stuck with those bastards?
The truth ferret speaks!
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

I also glumly offer this piece of garbage from the Guardian - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... all-leader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - with the thought that if the way to defeat the Tories is to elect the most Tory leader we can find, then what, with respect Mr Reid, is the fucking point in having a Labour party at all?

Edit for typo.
The truth ferret speaks!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

mbc1955 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:I think - as with the BBC - they should move the HoC to Salford.
Only just seen this, after work, but I've got to protest - what the hell has Manchester ever done to deserve being stuck with those bastards?
Send the lot of them to Scunthorpe. That way we will know nobody is in it for the glamour.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

(which will require means-testing of every single tenant!)
Councils will have lots of that info already for council tax reduction.

It's not too hard to means test large numbers of people.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
Send the lot of them to Scunthorpe. That way we will know nobody is in it for the glamour.
You'd better duck if there's anyone from Scunthorpe lurking ... that slur (I've no idea what Scunthorpe is actually like but bet some people love it regardless) could bring them out into the open to post a riposte ... you never know.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: Only just seen this, after work, but I've got to protest - what the hell has Manchester ever done to deserve being stuck with those bastards?
You'd better duck if there's anyone from Scunthorpe lurking ... that slur (I've no idea what Scunthorpe is actually like but bet some people love it regardless) could bring them out into the open to post a riposte ... you never know.
Been there a few times, it isn't the worst place in the world, and the surrounding countryside is nice. But it isn't trendy and that East Coast weather is fun in winter.
Release the Guardvarks.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: Only just seen this, after work, but I've got to protest - what the hell has Manchester ever done to deserve being stuck with those bastards?
I believe Samcam's dad owns most of Scunthorpe.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

So the New Schools Network is a bona fide charity which is definitely not linked to either the government or the Tory party?

Sam Freedman ‏@Samfr 2h2 hours ago
Very good news for current and prospective free schools that @NickJTimothy is the new Director of the New Schools Network.

And if that name rings a bell then it should as he was ...
Former chief of staff to Theresa May.
Wasn't there a spat between May and Gove that had him step down?

Edit - ah, no, that was the other one...he was the SpAd who was refused a potential Tory candidature after refusing to campaign in a by election - against cabinet office rules.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ty-cartoon

Today's Rowson cartoon. And they're still having difficulty loading comments on his cartoons. Odd, that. Comments are working fine on other pages. I've put in another complaint...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

According to Stephanie Baker of Bloomberg, one of the guests on the BBC's programme Dateline London, regarding Greece, "What we're looking at is a prolonged period of uncertainty. Citigroup economists have termed it 'Grimbo' – it's not 'Grexit', it's a prolonged period of Greece in limbo."

Grimbo. Good bit of word-coinage, there.