Wednesday 8th July 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 8th July 2015

Post by citizenJA »

London commuters battle to get home as tube strike begins
Transport chiefs warned of a rush-hour surge as underground closes until Friday morning, with commuters posting pictures of the chaos online

London commuters were starting to battle major transport problems as the most widespread tube strike in decades started on Wednesday evening. The 24-hour industrial action began at 6.30pm, with disruption meaning services would not resume until Friday morning. After 6.30pm on Wednesday some stations were quieter than usual, with some services still running at 7pm, although staff said all services would definitely cease by 8pm.

Prior to the walkout, services were winding down and coming under strain. Transport for London (TfL) had warned commuters that the rush-hour would be particularly busy as many attempted to leave early ahead of the strike.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... m-24-hours" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm sorry.
I'd no idea industrial action was taking place in London now.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Osborne's budget stole Labour's best election promises like a relative rummaging in the wardrobe
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... iving-wage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a hard read ... but probably a must read. It relates to our brief discussion about making clear and bold statements that carry through to the public. (Tories have been good at that - regardless of whether they are honest statements or not). It's what the left are up against. (Not just Labour).
Working on the wild side.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote: To me too.

How many Commissioners is that reporting to?
Two I think - SE London and the South East, and North West London and South Central.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Is the Living Wage(?) applicable to the public sector,does anyone know?Seems to be uncertainty.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:Is the Living Wage(?) applicable to the public sector,does anyone know?Seems to be uncertainty.
Apparently not. Serwotka has just made the point that there are an awful lot of people working in the public sector who are low paid and receive tax credits - and will lose some of them in real terms with the freeze or actual reduction - and won't be able to get that back as their pay will also reduce in real terms with the 1% cap announced re rises for the next 4 years.

And it's not a Living Wage - Osborne's got a bloody cheek. As someone on Radio 4 has just explained - it's really another band of the minimum wage - nothing to do with a living wage.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: To me too.

How many Commissioners is that reporting to?
Two I think - SE London and the South East, and North West London and South Central.
Not too bad then.

Decent amount of mileage allowance and hotel expenses to be racked up, nonetheless.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I've just had to turn Allegra Stratton off. Her Newsnight presentation of the budget was so skewed and sycophantic I wasn't sure I'd keep my dinner down.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.rethinkingincapacity.org/wh ... -backfire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why the Budget’s cut to ESA may backfire
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Slower cuts than promised before the election. If he needs money from somewhere he just goes overbudget, and gets away with it. OBR say spending £83bn more in this Parliament.

I thought the cuts announced before the election were unfortunately necessary?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jamie Reed ‏@jreedmp 8m8 minutes ago
We now have a government that - through the tax code - has a favoured relationship status and family size.
Gender favour next?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Hi all.

I've been really busy today so didn't catch much of the budget.

My initial reaction is that I'm going to be much worse off over the next 5 years than the last 5 and will need to cut back on spending severely to stay afloat.

If other people are affected in the same way, the biggest impact of this budget could be to push us into recession. Osborne has pulled back a little from the frankly ridiculous pre-election austerity timetable, but not much. His tax credits cuts will take money out of the pockets of those who are most likely to spend it. Tax cuts for higher earners won't necessarily translate into spending that will replace the demand Osborne is sucking out of the economy with these cuts.

This is the exact opposite of what our country needs right now and I'm still bemused that people voted for it. Welfare grows when the economy falters. Voters used to respond to a faltering economy by demanding the government fix it. Instead they are demanding the government withdraws the welfare that their economic failure has made necessary. It really is beyond comprehension.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Osborne's budget stole Labour's best election promises like a relative rummaging in the wardrobe
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... iving-wage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a hard read ... but probably a must read. It relates to our brief discussion about making clear and bold statements that carry through to the public. (Tories have been good at that - regardless of whether they are honest statements or not). It's what the left are up against. (Not just Labour).
(Tories have been good at that - regardless of whether they are honest statements or not)
RR2, my respect for you is undiminished but I must hollar at you over the quote above.
What can win up against Tories good at clear & bold & ultimately lying statements?
Tories LIE about whatever they want!
Tories LIE & get away with it, I guess, no one arrested yet for misconduct in public office.
Why not?
IDS gets ruled against by every jurist in the UK.
And still that Tory walks free.
Dave makes things up & he's really convincing with that everything-is-under-control accent he manages.
Current Tory party are liars who own or know the few people who own enough to make sure whatever Labour says it's going to get buried, destroyed, manipulated, ignored...
We don't have the Miliband government & I'm sorry for it because it would've saved lives, strengthened the country - the truth was told by Labour. No lies. We could have trusted that government.

People don't make the connection. People aren't treated like they matter & that message is relentless. I talked to people in the UK who've never voted in their lives. They don't know how politics & participation works. They're trying to get enough hours, pay for uniforms, work over time, eat crap because it's late, fix stuff in rented accommodation not their responsibility but to complain might be to lose their house.

Nearly twenty million people didn't vote for anyone in the 2015 GE. Someone dear to me was angry about billions of dollars leaving this country to support an emerging nation. How am I supposed to respond to that. Tell him he's a fool for getting wound up by someone or some organisation with an agenda & here's me telling him what to be angry about? No, obviously not. I'm sad. This happened today.

You're under the age of 25, young man & the Tory Chancellor wants you to work for his friends & family as a serf. Don't forget it, watch the Tory government, listen & vote accordingly.

Lennon sang something I've never cared for. He sang it like he was looking down upon 'the peasants' every bit as condescending as Tories. That's my opinion about that song, anyway.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Slower cuts than promised before the election. If he needs money from somewhere he just goes overbudget, and gets away with it. OBR say spending £83bn more in this Parliament.

I thought the cuts announced before the election were unfortunately necessary?
Exactly!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I've just had to turn Allegra Stratton off. Her Newsnight presentation of the budget was so skewed and sycophantic I wasn't sure I'd keep my dinner down.
I love you a lot.
I wasn't really hollering at you.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I've just had to turn Allegra Stratton off. Her Newsnight presentation of the budget was so skewed and sycophantic I wasn't sure I'd keep my dinner down.
You'd have preferred what Shabana Mahmood had to say, later, but not David Gauke's contribution – Evan Davies kept trying to pull him on things. And you might have been pleased by Stephanie Flanders' comments, possibly Will Hutton's, and (surprisingly) a chap whose name I missed from the Telegraph.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:Hi all.

I've been really busy today so didn't catch much of the budget.

My initial reaction is that I'm going to be much worse off over the next 5 years than the last 5 and will need to cut back on spending severely to stay afloat.

If other people are affected in the same way, the biggest impact of this budget could be to push us into recession. Osborne has pulled back a little from the frankly ridiculous pre-election austerity timetable, but not much. His tax credits cuts will take money out of the pockets of those who are most likely to spend it. Tax cuts for higher earners won't necessarily translate into spending that will replace the demand Osborne is sucking out of the economy with these cuts.

This is the exact opposite of what our country needs right now and I'm still bemused that people voted for it. Welfare grows when the economy falters. Voters used to respond to a faltering economy by demanding the government fix it. Instead they are demanding the government withdraws the welfare that their economic failure has made necessary. It really is beyond comprehension.
Excellent post, as usual, Willow.
Well said, sums it up for me too.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Not sure what you are taking issue with in what I said citizen - you'll need to spell out exactly what was wrong - it's late and I'm not feeling quick witted - on winding down mode. You are certainly justified in people falling for the Tories' lies ... but I don't think I've said anything that supports them, or have I?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ah right. I've just seen your second post citizen - saying you are not really hollering at me. Pax.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

There are some tax cuts, worth £24.6bn in total over this parliament. The big giveaways are: cuts to corporation tax rates; raising the tax-free personal allowance; extending inheritance tax relief.

But these are wiped out by £47.2bn of tax raises – on dividends, insurance premiums, vehicle excise duty and pension tax relief among others.
Glad all those Gordo stealth taxes are a thing of the past.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
You'd have preferred what Shabana Mahmood had to say, later, but not David Gauke's contribution – Evan Davies kept trying to pull him on things. And you might have been pleased by Stephanie Flanders' comments, possibly Will Hutton's, and (surprisingly) a chap whose name I missed from the Telegraph.
Glad there were some voices prepared to properly critique Osborne's con. But very aware that Newsnight is a tiny and probably very small percentage of the Beeb's news output and audience ... and a lot of people will just have seen the very uncritical headline stuff such as that Allegra was spouting (with a virtual grin). It's very depressing.

The Radio 4 programme I've just listened to was a bit more balanced. I certainly came away feeling they had pointed out how much worse off a lot of people are going to be as a result ... and how many of the supposedly big announcements by Osborne were not all that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I can’t support a Europe that acts as a thuggy bailiff against Greece
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... nst-greece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As I watch what is happening in Greece, I feel myself to be increasingly Eurosceptic and wondering too if Eurosceptism is not code for the anti-German sentiment that currently abounds. If the European project that once seemed so noble now comes down to the European Central Bank, which is not in any way independent but acts as a thuggish bailiff to further impoverish Greece, what actually is it? If Germans believe they should not have to pay for the mistakes of Greek governments, then they do not see the crisis of Greece for what it is: a crisis of all Europe. Bailouts have been funded for the financial sector since 2008. To simply blame Greece is unsustainable.

The contagion that the financiers fear has already happened, but not exactly in the way they say. When the workings of the eurozone are held up to the light, the gaping deficit is one of democracy. Unelected commissioners, unaccountable banks all laughably scrabbling on to the crowded moral high ground. All this depends on an agreed script: corrupt Greeks as shirkers, hard-working Germans as strivers. All of the deals have actually been about protecting German and French banks from debt write-offs.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
There are some tax cuts, worth £24.6bn in total over this parliament. The big giveaways are: cuts to corporation tax rates; raising the tax-free personal allowance; extending inheritance tax relief.

But these are wiped out by £47.2bn of tax raises – on dividends, insurance premiums, vehicle excise duty and pension tax relief among others.
And that vehicle exercise duty is a real slap in the face for people who picked a car for its low duty. Carefully worked out budgets up in smoke. Do only gas-guzzling 4x4 drivers vote Tory or something? I'd have thought this an automatic vote loser myself.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The lie remains,I have complained,for all.the good it will do.Atrocious propaganda BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33429390" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
Currently those who claim the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) element of ESA get £30 more than JSA. But from April 2017, those who are able to work will get the same as JSA
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Willow904 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

And that vehicle exercise duty is a real slap in the face for people who picked a car for its low duty. Carefully worked out budgets up in smoke. Do only gas-guzzling 4x4 drivers vote Tory or something? I'd have thought this an automatic vote loser myself.
Just looked at the vehicle excise duty banding again. "New cars in England only". What does that mean? Not the new cars bit (at least I think that means people get the choice not to purchase a new, higher tax band car, so not so much a slap in the face for thrifty individuals, as a slap in the face of manufacturers of low emission cars). The England only bit. How does that work? Is that how it's going to be now? A devolved England I don't remember voting for, basing policies on what suits the South East?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Gauke & HSBC
Super Ultra Safe Tory Seat MP for South West Hertfordshire
Unbelievable.
It shouldn't happen.
有害
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... nst-greece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As I watch what is happening in Greece, I feel myself to be increasingly Eurosceptic and wondering too if Eurosceptism is not code for the anti-German sentiment that currently abounds. If the European project that once seemed so noble now comes down to the European Central Bank, which is not in any way independent but acts as a thuggish bailiff to further impoverish Greece, what actually is it? If Germans believe they should not have to pay for the mistakes of Greek governments, then they do not see the crisis of Greece for what it is: a crisis of all Europe. Bailouts have been funded for the financial sector since 2008. To simply blame Greece is unsustainable.

The contagion that the financiers fear has already happened, but not exactly in the way they say. When the workings of the eurozone are held up to the light, the gaping deficit is one of democracy. Unelected commissioners, unaccountable banks all laughably scrabbling on to the crowded moral high ground. All this depends on an agreed script: corrupt Greeks as shirkers, hard-working Germans as strivers. All of the deals have actually been about protecting German and French banks from debt write-offs.
Brilliant.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Not sure what you are taking issue with in what I said citizen - you'll need to spell out exactly what was wrong - it's late and I'm not feeling quick witted - on winding down mode. You are certainly justified in people falling for the Tories' lies ... but I don't think I've said anything that supports them, or have I?
Oh, dang.
No, no...I'm just a bad writer.
Nothing wrong with anything you've written.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

HindleA wrote:https://www.rethinkingincapacity.org/wh ... -backfire/

Why the Budget’s cut to ESA may backfire
Thanks – that's a very good piece. And thanks for the excellent news from the Supreme Court, too :rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sometimes when I'm writing it's as though you're in the room & I forget my words don't convey same body language, facial expression everything telling you I admire, respect & value every contribution for my friends here. We were going to storm the gates together, RR2. Instead it reads like I left you behind & didn't think well of you. And that's not what I meant at all.

Goodnight, friends.
Thank you for your continued patience with me.
love,
cJA
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Night citizen. Sleep well.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Have they? Where did Greece's sovereign debt go?!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

N'night, @cJA - dream sweetly of a new tomorrow :)
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Evening all.

More electoral shenanigans coming to light down here in Devon....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-33444137

Dare say he'll get away with it, they always do. This is, of course, the land of the Literal Democrats.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Rowson on Osborne's Budget:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... et-cartoon

More dead rabbits than rabbits out of hats...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Hobiejoe wrote:... This is, of course, the land of the Literal Democrats.
Down there, they could claim to be the Littoral Democrats - still true for the Hon. Member for Orkney and Shetland ;) Sorry. I'll try to find my hat...
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Down there, they could claim to be the Littoral Democrats - still true for the Hon. Member for Orkney and Shetland ;) Sorry. I'll try to find my hat...
Image Boom-tish!

I'm sure you recall the incident, (and it still irritates me) but just in case...http://www.independent.co.uk/news/lette ... 39807.html
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Hobiejoe wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
Image Boom-tish!

I'm sure you recall the incident, (and it still irritates me) but just in case...http://www.independent.co.uk/news/lette ... 39807.html
Gosh, was it really that long ago!? 1994 and seems like yesterday – well, only a couple of years ago...