Friday 10th July 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Friday 10th July 2015

Post by LadyCentauria »

Mornin' all. I know it's a bit early to start a new day but thought this might bring some cheer – and I don't think we saw it. Owen Jones started a pretty good hashtag with this:
Owen Jones @OwenJones84 July 8
I'm going to rename my kitten Living Wage. If Osborne can #CallThingsTheLivingWageThatArent, why can't I?
https://twitter.com/hashtag/callthingst ... al=default
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Friday 10th July 2015

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

I was impressed by Jeremy Corbyn's ability to express his thoughts and opinions passionately and without using the standard stock political phrases.
Is he electable? That's the big question.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Here's the link to the Perry Beeches III free school Ofsted that was mentioned last night - Inadequate and in special measures.

There's obviously been a lot of dialogue before publication as the inspection was 12th-13th May.

Lead inspector is an HMI.

http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection ... ELS/139797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

I was impressed by Jeremy Corbyn's ability to express his thoughts and opinions passionately and without using the standard stock political phrases.
The other big question ... which perhaps shouldn't be ... is whether he can build and maintain a supportive, skilled and committed shadow cabinet team around him. When we saw Burnham he admitted that the shadow cabinet hadn't always performed that well under Miliband and currently and needed to be stronger ... imagine what some of those in the Labour 'inner circle' could be like if Corbyn became leader. And that I have to consider that as a major issue - pisses me off.
Working on the wild side.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And another one...A Studio School (Waverley Studio College) this time opened in Sept 2013 and into special measures.
The current Principal has been in post since April 2015. The school has had two previous Principals since opening and one interim Principal.

 The previous Chair of the Governing Body left post earlier this year.

 The studio college has experienced considerable changes in teaching staff and learning coaches since opening. A number of subjects are taught by supply teachers. Staff from Waverley School now teach a number of subjects.
:roll:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

For LC and others interested

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... udget-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Morning
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:And another one...A Studio School (Waverley Studio College) this time opened in Sept 2013 and into special measures.
The current Principal has been in post since April 2015. The school has had two previous Principals since opening and one interim Principal.

 The studio college has experienced considerable changes in teaching staff and learning coaches since opening. A number of subjects are taught by supply teachers. Staff from Waverley School now teach a number of subjects.
What on earth is a 'studio' school?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From last night - good, cathartic viewing as someone tells a representative of a bunch of tossers what they are ...
Neil Breakwell ‏@BreakwellNeil 9h9 hours ago
VIDEO: @DrBrianMay "I think you're a bunch of lying bastards" to pro fox hunters #newsnight " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please can I ask people on here to contact their MP before next Wednesday and tell them what they think of Cameron's sly tactics to bring back fox hunting by the back door. They need to know that the public don't support this cruel sport and certainly don't support the way in which they are manipulating parliamentary processes to reward Tory donors. Thank you.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ouch.

Harpenden free school drops ‘free’ from its name
A primary school is taking the words “free school” out of its name to disassociate itself from politicisation of the phrase.
Harpenden Free School in Hertfordshire, a primary that on its website says it will have a maximum capacity of 270 in the next school year, will be renamed Harpenden Academy from September when it moves to a new, permanent site.

But the governing body decision to change its name has left the chair, Ruth Martin, facing “strongly held opposing views” from parents.

The school opened in 2012 and was told last year by Ofsted that it required improvement.
There's only one set of people you can point the finger at for this I'm afraid - when free schools are seen as a Tory idea then when some fail you can't blame people for a bit of schadenfreude. Especially when the rhetoric around them (and academies) is clearly false.

He who lives by the sword etc.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:And another one...A Studio School (Waverley Studio College) this time opened in Sept 2013 and into special measures.

Here you go.

http://studioschoolstrust.org/node/3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Studio School is a new concept in education, which seeks to address the growing gap between the skills and knowledge that young people require to succeed, and those that the current education system provides. Studio Schools pioneer a bold new approach to learning which includes teaching through enterprise projects and real work. This approach ensures students' learning in is rooted in the real world and helps them to develop the skills they need to flourish in life. For detailed information, please read the Studio Schools Brochure.
Clear now?

Nope. Me neither.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

A Brush with Conscience – Why a Huntsman Abandoned His Sport
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Outlines many of the vile - utterly vile - practices that go on to ensure the cruellest of killings are available for the hunts via this tweet from Paul Flynn
Paul Flynn ‏@PaulFlynnMP 48m48 minutes ago Newport, Wales
Brian May exposes 'pest control' excuse for cruelty for fun. Foxes imported into my area because of pest shortage. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Here you go.

http://studioschoolstrust.org/node/3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Studio School is a new concept in education, which seeks to address the growing gap between the skills and knowledge that young people require to succeed, and those that the current education system provides. Studio Schools pioneer a bold new approach to learning which includes teaching through enterprise projects and real work. This approach ensures students' learning in is rooted in the real world and helps them to develop the skills they need to flourish in life. For detailed information, please read the Studio Schools Brochure.
Clear now?

Nope. Me neither.
I see it's utter blather ... blather, blather. Sheesh - once more.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/2 ... nservatism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Economist
"cutting benefits to the very poor while reducing inheritance tax for the wealthy is indefensible"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Apologies if this has already been covered - I haven't been back to yesterday yet (neither have I visited tomorrow - I'm saving that until 2pm):
In a sign of his intent at the launch of a sweeping policy initiative on Friday, the chancellor will say he wants London residents to be freed to build extra storeys on to their properties without needing local council planning approval.

He will also say the overcrowded capital needs to expand upwards and that anyone should be free to build up to the level of their neighbour’s property. (Guardian)

Beware falling masonry. Still, George Osborne has always been a great admirer of China which has an excellent safety record in matters of this kind. Still, I suppose it beats renting out your garden shed to the homeless. Although there's less of a drop with that option.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... s-on-homes
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

1.3 %fall in construction output in May.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/construct ... -2015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Up up and away on my beautiful balloon
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Up up and away on my beautiful balloon

Thanks a bunch!

I'll see your Beautiful Balloon and raise you Mull of Kintyre. Spend a day with that running round your brain!

Edited

Too many days
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 10 Jul, 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Since Murdoch pulled back after the BSkyB bid and then Gove from the DfE, I've paid less attention to Rupe and ALEC, Roger. As for education I'm faced with wide-eyed bewilderment that makes me none the wiser. Anyway looking back and what made matters worse was that this was before the LIbDems had completely rolled over with reagrd to the Health and Social Care Act. After Gove's academy and free school reforms the LibDems were expressing surprise at the pace of academisation, consoling themselves with murmurs of no profit within the term of parliament.

Now here we are with a Tory majority, Gove's reforms have set the playing field. Sorry there are no more playing fields. Gove's reforms have established the territory, Rupe has invited Rebekka back and Dave has a majority. At a time where the BBC, OU, schools and the DfE should be integrating technological advances I fear Rupert's educational ambitions shall reemerge.

Let's start with undermining the Beeb and make teaching a precarious occupation. No more stability or longevity of pupils' teachers. Look foward to schooling by league tables where for every champion three or more others are demoted. Look forward to Rupert's media empire indoctrinating our youth; celebrity managers, directors of learning or shall they be coaches? Whatever, a circle of Tory party donors pacing the treadmill of the DfE and school leagues, repeatedly being sacked for performance then reappointed elsewhere. Would celebrity teachers be bought and sold according to their entertainment value?
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Unfortunately (or otherwise) I doubt it.

For me its not so much his views on domestic matters but his sometimes rather dodgy foreign policy associations that rule him out.

Though even if he is unlikely to win, it looks like he will do decently (significantly better than Abbott in 2010)

That should give pause for thought with both the Labour right and the MSM.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: What on earth is a 'studio' school?
Here you go.

Clear now?

Nope. Me neither.
I see it's utter blather ... blather, blather. Sheesh - once more.
Morevetinoon all...from Wiki...

Studio Schools are a type of Free School.[2] They are part of the Academies Programme, and are funded by the taxpayer, non-selective, free to attend and not controlled by a local education authority. While this is also true of most other academies and free schools, Studio Schools are collectively distinctive in a number of ways. Studio Schools are sponsored by existing schools, colleges, and community groups.

The name 'Studio School' is derived from the concept of the Renaissance studio which existed in Europe from 1400 to 1700. Students at these studios were taught by an experienced master in the same place in which the master created and produced his work. Modern-day Studio Schools aim to give students skills required by employees and businesses in the local area, in an environment which simulates genuine workplaces.[5] As part of this, Studio Schools are open all year round and have a longer school day, typically 9am to 5pm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_school

I'm finding it difficult not to be highly cynical and abusive about this bode of lollocks - Renaissance studio? At a guess, I'd say the students came away from those with a very good understanding of art and it's impact on culture and people...and I find it entirely possible that a C14th idea may not quite translate to the modern day. Open all year round, a 9 to 5 working day and simulate 'genuine workplaces'? Lots of local placements for shelf-stacking, I'd bet - cr(e)ating direct competition with the 'Workfare' providers.

Those nasty horrible LEAs with over 100 years experience of delivering education...wtf do they know? It's much better to get children aged 14 and upwards used to long days, the concept of 'free' labour and preparing them to sit around waiting for the Zero Hours contract call..or perhaps I'm being a little unfair - perhaps these children will turn out to be our future leaders...but no - they're already disadvantaged because they're not at the right school and have the wrong parents.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/2 ... nservatism

The Economist
"cutting benefits to the very poor while reducing inheritance tax for the wealthy is indefensible"
I know its almost a cliche to say that Budgets well recieved on the day unravel afterwards, but that really does seem to be happening here doesn't it?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Budget 2015 comment: A Budget for One Nation - you didn't even try Mr Osborne

But look at what he is taking away from the poorest people. He is capping benefits for people in Reading at £20,000 - despite the soaring housing costs found in the south east.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/news-o ... ne-9617118
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

The Economist
I know its almost a cliche to say that Budgets well recieved on the day unravel afterwards, but that really does seem to be happening here doesn't it?
But does that matter if the MSM don't report the unravelling? That's one big problem for Labour to solve.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Nice to publish report on NHS staffing levels despite being told to stop work

Critics say move by Department of Health to take evidence reviews in-house will lead to lower standards in staffing as watchdog plans to release its report

Ministers and NHS bosses face an embarrassing row over safe staffing levels for nurses in hospital A&E departments in England after it emerged that the government body told to stop work in this area is going to publish its recommendations anyway.

Safe staffing levels were recommended by Sir Robert Francis, the QC who investigated the Mid-Staffs scandal, who had specifically wanted Nice to do the work because of its evidence-based approach and independence. (Guardian)
Where's Julie Bailey when you need her?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... -stop-work
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Judges suing Government

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33461759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The judges have issued their claim in an employment tribunal. It will have to be heard by a judge who will be judging whether some judges, as compared with other judges, have been discriminated against. It is going to be hard to find a judge to judge that.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Unfortunately (or otherwise) I doubt it.

For me its not so much his views on domestic matters but his sometimes rather dodgy foreign policy associations that rule him out.

Though even if he is unlikely to win, it looks like he will do decently (significantly better than Abbott in 2010)

That should give pause for thought with both the Labour right and the MSM.......
This wont help him.

An open letter to Jeremy Corbyn
Alan Johnson
16 June, 2015 (4 weeks ago)

As the most left-wing candidate you should get my vote. But you won't. And here's why.

http://leftfootforward.org/2015/06/an-o ... my-corbyn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

The Economist
That's because Osborne came up with it and he's staggeringly inept. Why take away tax credits completely for all children beyond the first two, for instance? If he had merely tapered benefits off for each further child on the grounds that hand-me-downs etc make subsequent children cheaper to raise, he'd never have got into the 'rape victims excluded' farce that really does come across as a very sick joke and not at all what you expect a competent government to even consider, let alone run with.
Also, if he had merely promised to raise the minimum wage for over 25 year olds, rather than trying to re-invent the meaning of the 'living wage' to suit the Tory desire to get rid of this embarrassing benchmark that keeps scurrying out of reach everytime they successfully prop up house prices at artificially high levels, he'd also be coming in for less criticism today.
Ultimately the budget is unravelling because it was all about (right-wing, authoritarian) politics and very little about the economy.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Judges suing Government

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33461759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The judges have issued their claim in an employment tribunal. It will have to be heard by a judge who will be judging whether some judges, as compared with other judges, have been discriminated against. It is going to be hard to find a judge to judge that.
:lol!:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frightful_oik wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

The Economist
But does that matter if the MSM don't report the unravelling? That's one big problem for Labour to solve.
Well, isn't the Economist part of the MSM?? ;)

More seriously - if it gets too obvious, they will have to.

Indeed, the BBC had to prominently report the IFS findings last night - Landale's heroic efforts to spin on Gidiot's behalf notwithstanding.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Fri 10 Jul, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Judges suing Government

I'll be the judge of that . . .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Judge not lest ye be judged.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Government productivity plan

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ous-nation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:Government productivity plan

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ous-nation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does it involve a course of leeches?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Instant flash to Charles Dickens - the traumatised youngster making the best of it by pasting labels on boot blacking jars with a flair. People would pause & watch him work through the window.
Is that what a studio school is?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

Does it involve a course of leeches?
Don't give Tories ideas, please, RogerOThornhill.
Tories will see your leeches & raise you a lethal dose of laudanum.
The medicine worked!
The patient is gone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Fixing the foundations

I've read histories of human sacrifices slain & flung into the corners dug for a new structure, forming part of the foundation of the temples raised. To appease the gods & cultivate cruel human hubris.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

For anyone who is interested, my novel is published by Holland House Books on 1st August. It's on pre-order now and available at all the usual outlets and indy stores. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Last-Roundh ... 1909374644

Featuring David Cameron's 9x great grandfather(expelled from Parliament for lying to the house in 1628); it's been picked as one of the UK's top ten books being released in August by Netgalley http://blog.netgalley.com/the-uks-top-t ... gust-2015/ and I have been asked by the new National Civil War Centre in Newark to give a talk on launchday for anyone in the area who is interested.http://www.nationalcivilwarcentre.com/e ... tarian.php

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Temulkar wrote:For anyone who is interested, my novel is published by Holland House Books on 1st August. It's on pre-order now and available at all the usual outlets and indy stores. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Last-Roundh ... 1909374644

Featuring David Cameron's 9x great grandfather(expelled from Parliament for lying to the house in 1628); it's been picked as one of the UK's top ten books being released in August by Netgalley http://blog.netgalley.com/the-uks-top-t ... gust-2015/ and I have been asked by the new National Civil War Centre in Newark to give a talk on launchday for anyone in the area who is interested.http://www.nationalcivilwarcentre.com/e ... tarian.php

Thank you for the information. The book sounds intriguing and I'll most likely buy it. It takes me forever to read anything these days, so it will be a while before I make a report-back (but I don't for one minute think that that will affect your life unduly).
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Temulkar wrote:For anyone who is interested, my novel is published by Holland House Books on 1st August. It's on pre-order now and available at all the usual outlets and indy stores. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Last-Roundh ... 1909374644

Congrats Tem. I shall have to remember to order it when I get home.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Afternoon folks,
Studio West in Newcastle was created out of the closed All Saints College, which in turn was a fresh start school formed from the failing West Denton High and Firfield, itself a fresh start formed from the closure of Blakelaw School. That sort of sets the scene. Its under the management of the nearby monster Academy (2000+ kids) and is will be a place where disaffected and non-academic kids can have an alternative curriculum with more flexible hours and instruction by practitioners in a range of trades.

In other words, a dumping ground with cut price teaching and crap working conditions.

In other lack of news, we are still awaiting the result of the OFSTED inspection of a Northumberland school which has been Outstanding for many years. Converted to an academy 3 years ago, was inspected a few maonths ago and appealed against the findings, which have never been revealed. Reinspected weeks ago and still no news. If it was good, I'm sure we would have heard. Who could have a vested interested in suppressing an oustanding school going into Special Measures after academisation?

I'm still in the throes of bankrupt builder house hell. `doing most of it myself now, so I've added tennis elbow to arthritic knees and a plethora of back problems.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.

I've been reading Dr Eilidh Whiteford's (SNP MP for Banff & Buchan) work in the House yesterday - she clearly called out government inappropriately using the term 'living wage' & informed the House the Living Wage Foundation isn't the basis of Tory wage increases, current London living wage is higher now than Tories want it in five years, tax credits reductions make the wage increase insufficient - people will have their incomes cut.

She did a fair job representing regular people in the UK & kept Tories trying to derail her by 'making her a Scottish MP'*. Her references to Scotland were relevant, informative & raised my estimation of this MP. She pointedly lambasted government & returned the topic back to tax credits, low pay & the Tory Emergency Summer Budget 2015 heap of horrors for regular people in the whole UK, not just Scotland.

Read past the text after Column 494 in the link to find this quote from Dr. Whiteford:
"We need to recognise that bringing up children is expensive—for everyone, in all income groups—but children are not some sort of luxury lifestyle accessory. Having children and encouraging family life is an essential, necessary and natural part of the human life cycle."

- Dr. Eilidh Whiteford
SNP MP for Banff & Buchan
9 July 2015
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 0957001161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, Dr. Whiteford, for your work yesterday, if you're interested in social democracy & representing for the benefit of all UK people, excellent.
"...dismiss whatever insults your own soul" - Whitman
Tories don't dismiss insults on the soul - they don't seem to care much if something is wrong, they'll do it anyway, to retain power & wealth for themselves alone.
A generalisation on my part but I think it's accurate.
I'd love to be wrong.

*Watch that phenomenon - Tories trying to make SNP MPs just Scotland's MPs, implying Scottish MPs aren't like everyone else's MPs - Tories are unparalleled in their relentless use of whatever means they can use to stay on top. Tory success, staying in power, is wholly due to this. They vote Tory, they are Tory & everyone else isn't Tory & that's too bad, we don't care, says Tories.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Congratulations!
That's exciting!
Sincerely, Temulkar, I look forward to reading it.
Please keep me informed of all your work.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... t-55416545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The government has been challenged to justify an “incredibly distasteful” proposal in Wednesday’s budget which would require a woman who had a third child as the result of rape to justify her position in order to avoid losing tax credits.
I just made a facetious remark under this article about taking your split condom to show DWP that your third child wasn't your fault. Only it's not so facetious, is it? I know someone whose third child was what you might term a (happily welcome) 'surprise'. To deny people like them financial support in the future seems most unfair.This is life we're talking about here in all its messiness. This punishing people for not fitting correctly into government proscribed boxes is horrible. It's the thing many people most abhor about China, the authoritarian approach to tackling over-population which has led to an awful lot of tragic stories. It's the triumphant welcome this policy has got from so many people btl that's most depressing. Can't they see that by supporting authoritarian control in this way, that they open the door to even more dictatorial and intrusive policy in future?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

The Economist
That's because Osborne came up with it and he's staggeringly inept. Why take away tax credits completely for all children beyond the first two, for instance? If he had merely tapered benefits off for each further child on the grounds that hand-me-downs etc make subsequent children cheaper to raise, he'd never have got into the 'rape victims excluded' farce that really does come across as a very sick joke and not at all what you expect a competent government to even consider, let alone run with.
Also, if he had merely promised to raise the minimum wage for over 25 year olds, rather than trying to re-invent the meaning of the 'living wage' to suit the Tory desire to get rid of this embarrassing benchmark that keeps scurrying out of reach everytime they successfully prop up house prices at artificially high levels, he'd also be coming in for less criticism today.
Ultimately the budget is unravelling because it was all about (right-wing, authoritarian) politics and very little about the economy.
We don't even get the satisfaction of saying serves him right because it means more suffering for many.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

55DegreesNorth wrote:Afternoon folks,
Studio West in Newcastle was created out of the closed All Saints College, which in turn was a fresh start school formed from the failing West Denton High and Firfield, itself a fresh start formed from the closure of Blakelaw School. That sort of sets the scene. Its under the management of the nearby monster Academy (2000+ kids) and is will be a place where disaffected and non-academic kids can have an alternative curriculum with more flexible hours and instruction by practitioners in a range of trades.

In other words, a dumping ground with cut price teaching and crap working conditions.

In other lack of news, we are still awaiting the result of the OFSTED inspection of a Northumberland school which has been Outstanding for many years. Converted to an academy 3 years ago, was inspected a few maonths ago and appealed against the findings, which have never been revealed. Reinspected weeks ago and still no news. If it was good, I'm sure we would have heard. Who could have a vested interested in suppressing an oustanding school going into Special Measures after academisation?

I'm still in the throes of bankrupt builder house hell. `doing most of it myself now, so I've added tennis elbow to arthritic knees and a plethora of back problems.
Home improvement difficulties...I'm so sorry. I don't know how to do those kinds of things; I'm not all that interested but I'd be willing to learn the basics from others. You know your area better than I do, I'd call in assistance pronto. Please don't hurt yourself.

The only way to cope with this here Tory government foul up from hell is to take them up on what they're offering & proceed to do it. Loudly, harmlessly & incessantly, work hard at working together on a project locally. It's the greatest protest of all, living their hardworkingfamilies sound bite into action. Here goes, Tory leaders, it may get noisy, we're hardworkingfamilies learning from tradespeople from all over the EU how to build greenhouses, compost heap production, no power tools, just incessant singing practise while tending the kitchen gardens en masse - that'll scare the hell out of them. Don't shop. Grow it, trade for it, meet people, everyone, it's the hardest thing in the world for me to do, meeting new people. Show up regularly at the allotment gardens, the housing association, churches, clubs with largely a single purpose, hang around to learn things good to know.

Alternative curriculum, flexible hours & instruction by tradespeople...outstanding - allotment gardening, food growing, permaculture, musical instrument instruction, Recorders, Harmonicas, Ukuleles & Cow Bells, bee-keeping, hiking, strawbale house building, alternative renewable energy projects, trips to France, Spain, Portugal to learn what their tradespeople know, drama classes & theatre productions, dancing, cooking classes, learn Mandarin Chinese, French, Greek, German, Spanish & Portuguese, sustainable transportation infrastructure design & how to govern a first world nation with compassion, competence & wisdom.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
Hugs :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... t-55416545
The government has been challenged to justify an “incredibly distasteful” proposal in Wednesday’s budget which would require a woman who had a third child as the result of rape to justify her position in order to avoid losing tax credits.
I just made a facetious remark under this article about taking your split condom to show DWP that your third child wasn't your fault. Only it's not so facetious, is it? I know someone whose third child was what you might term a (happily welcome) 'surprise'. To deny people like them financial support in the future seems most unfair.This is life we're talking about here in all its messiness. This punishing people for not fitting correctly into government proscribed boxes is horrible. It's the thing many people most abhor about China, the authoritarian approach to tackling over-population which has led to an awful lot of tragic stories. It's the triumphant welcome this policy has got from so many people btl that's most depressing. Can't they see that by supporting authoritarian control in this way, that they open the door to even more dictatorial and intrusive policy in future?
My youngest granddaughter was a 'mistake'...The best one my son and his wife ever made.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

A couple of hours after the Institute for Fiscal Studies delivered a damning verdict of the first all-Conservative Budget in 19 years, a member of the Treasury team accidentally sent an email to journalists containing three words: "blah, blah, blah".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 78591.html
Says it all really....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

China stock markets rise again after Beijing intervention
Two key indices jump sharply but concerns still persist over long-term direction of Chinese economy

Chinese stocks rose strongly for a second day on Friday, buoyed by a barrage of government support measures, but worries persist about the long-term impact that four weeks of stock market turmoil may have on the world’s second-largest economy.

Over the past two weeks Chinese authorities have cut interest rates, suspended initial public offerings, relaxed margin lending and collateral rules and enlisted brokerages to buy stocks, backed by cash from the central bank.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... tervention" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank goodness for that then. China's stock market better now.
“We expect this will likely hurt consumption down the road,” the note said. “More critical is a potential distortion to credit flows due to the impairment to financial institutions’ balance sheets.“

While Beijing’s efforts appear to have put a floor under the stock market for now - on Friday morning China’s main indexes were just below the levels they opened at on Monday - it was still far from functioning normally.
Or not.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
A couple of hours after the Institute for Fiscal Studies delivered a damning verdict of the first all-Conservative Budget in 19 years, a member of the Treasury team accidentally sent an email to journalists containing three words: "blah, blah, blah".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 78591.html
Says it all really....
That's grossly unprofessional from the Treasury, seriously, isn't there someone refereeing this here?
What are we supposed to do?
Contempt for the people, the country, other professionals doing their jobs - Tory government responds with contempt for it all.
They can't even like themselves ultimately, spouting off something like that.