Monday 13th July 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 13th July 2015

Post by citizenJA »

12 July 2015 ­ 16.00
The Eurogroup stresses the crucial need to rebuild trust with the Greek
authorities as a pre-requisite for a possible future agreement on a new ESM
programme. In this context, the ownership by the Greek authorities is key, and
successful implementation should follow policy commitments.

[text]
● to develop a significantly scaled up privatisation programme with
improved governance.
[The Greek authorities will invite an independent body to assess the price
of assets sold and will investigate the best way to further increase the
independence of TAIPED with the involvement of the Commission.]
OR
[Moreover, valuable Greek assets of [EUR 50 bn] shall be transferred to an
existing external and independent fund like the Institution for Growth in
Luxembourg, to be privatized over time and decrease debt.
Such fund
would be managed by the Greek authorities under the supervision of the
relevant European institutions;]

http://blogs.ft.com/brusselsblog/files/ ... m-Copy.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)
Guess what.
"External & independent fund like the Institution for Growth in Luxembourg" is chaired by none other than Dr Wolfgang Schäuble.
KfW - Banking company
The KfW, formerly KfW Bankengruppe, is a German government-owned development bank, based in Frankfurt. Its name originally comes from Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau. It was formed in 1948 after World War II as part of the Marshall Plan.

History of KfW
KfW Group - Over 65 years of promotional activity
The development of KfW Group has been closely connected to the economic development of the Federal Republic of Germany. Since its founding in 1948 and according to its statutory mission, KfW has been supporting change and encouraging forward-looking ideas - in Germany, Europe and throughout the world. For this purpose it has provided nearly one trillion euros in loans over 65 years.
https://www.kfw.de/KfW-Group/About-KfW/ ... e-der-KfW/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KfW Group - Board of Supervisory Directors and its Committees
The Board of Supervisory Directors and its committees supervise the conduct of the bank's business and the administration of its assets. The main tasks for which it holds responsibility are the appointment and dismissal of members of the Executive Board, the approval of the financial statements as well as the planning and selection of the auditor to be appointed by the Supervisory Authority.

Chairman of the Board of Supervisory Directors:
Dr Wolfgang Schäuble
Federal Minister of Finance

https://www.kfw.de/KfW-Group/About-KfW/ ... %C3%BCsse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Euro Summit
Brussels, 12 July 2015
SN 4070/15
EUROSUMMIT
Subject: Euro Summit Statement
Brussels, 12 July 2015

- to develop a significantly scaled up privatisation programme with improved governance;
valuable Greek assets will be transferred to an independent fund that will monetize the
assets through privatisations and other means. The monetization of the assets will be one
source to make the scheduled repayment of the new loan of ESM and generate over the life
of the new loan a targeted total of EUR 50bn of which EUR 25bn will be used for the
repayment of recapitalization of banks and other assets and 50 % of every remaining euro
(i.e. 50% of EUR 25bn) will be used for decreasing the debt to GDP ratio and the remaining
50 % will be used for investments.

This fund would be established in Greece and be managed by the Greek authorities under
the supervision of the relevant European Institutions. In agreement with Institutions and
building on best international practices, a legislative framework should be adopted to ensure
transparent procedures and adequate asset sale pricing, according to OECD principles and
standards on the management of State Owned Enterprises (SOEs)

http://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/mozam ... summit.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my underline)

So Schäuble's bank won't get the billions after all.
It gets to stay in Greece.
Can we discuss trust issues I'm having with the 'independent, external' bank chaired by Schäuble listed in last night's first draft copy, please? I don't trust Greece's creditors & this blatant conflict of interests from Schäuble's involvement makes me terrified because we're owned, people! We're owned by other people who have no business owning anyone!
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Sorry if I seem fixated on one topic; I'm doing something else and just popping back here every now and again. I said my wife having approached the doctors for high blood pressure whereas it's just one of those things that would have been picked up during prenatal checkups. Anyway health insurers, whether for cash payment policies like we had or medical insurance like some Tories and Orange-Bookers have suggested tend to accept premiums then look for excuses to avoid payout whatever the circumstances. Just think what exclusions genetic profiling could bring. Global coverage seems best.

As an afterthought, forgetting 'Unionist' in their name, we seem to have Little England nationalists running the show. Onanists is what I'd call them.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The fund they want Greek assets transferred to is managed by … Schäuble
“Valuable Greek assets of [EUR 50 bn] shall be transferred to an existing external and independent fund like the Institution for Growth in Luxembourg, to be privatized and decrease debt.”

http://www.thepressproject.gr/details_en.php?aid=79155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Story told here. I checked the links within the document & verified the information came from official sources to the best of my ability.
Please let me know if I've made a mistake.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

utopiandreams wrote:Sorry if I seem fixated on one topic; I'm doing something else and just popping back here every now and again. I said my wife having approached the doctors for high blood pressure whereas it's just one of those things that would have been picked up during prenatal checkups. Anyway health insurers, whether for cash payment policies like we had or medical insurance like some Tories and Orange-Bookers have suggested tend to accept premiums then look for excuses to avoid payout whatever the circumstances. Just think what exclusions genetic profiling could bring. Global coverage seems best.

As an afterthought, forgetting 'Unionist' in their name, we seem to have Little England nationalists running the show. Onanists is what I'd call them.
It's all part of the same global health & wealth story coming at us from all directions, utopiandreams.
US health industry, global financiers, Greece's creditors are drafting documents making us property, not citizens, the workers making civilisation possible & the shiftless Tory m***********s all over the world bleeding us all dry.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ted-powers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This publication identifies the provisions for delegated, or secondary, legislation in the Welfare Reform and Work Bill 2015

"All the delegated powers contained in the Bill are exercisable by Statutory Instrument"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Varoufakis: It's a new Versailles Treaty

...Greece’s former finance minister, Yanis Varoufakis, has dubbed the bailout deal “the politics of humiliation”.
Speaking to Australian radio station ABC, he said Alexis Tsipras knows that this is an “impossible deal...a deal that is simply not viable." Greece’s lenders, he added, were taking revenge on Alexis Tsipras:
‘The troika have made sure that they will make him eat every single word that he uttered in criticism of the troika over the last five years. Not just these six months we’ve been in government, but in the five years prior to that. This has nothing to do with economics. It has nothing to do with putting Greece back on the rails towards recovery. This is a new Versailles Treaty that is haunting Europe again, and the prime minister knows it. He knows that he’s damned if he does and he’s damned if he doesn’t.’

He also laid into the €50bn of Greek asset sales demanded by Europe.
In the [1967] coup d’état the choice of weapon used in order to bring down democracy then was the tanks. Well, this time it was the banks. And Varoufakis also reiterated his claim that Wolfgang Schäuble wanted to force Greece out of the eurozone to frighten France and Italy. Schäuble considers Grexit to be “essential for his plan for Europe”....
One that is not a federation, but on the capacity of a single fiscal overlord to veto national budgets and therefore to annul national sovereignty.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... 3a9dbc73fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ted-powers

This publication identifies the provisions for delegated, or secondary, legislation in the Welfare Reform and Work Bill 2015

"All the delegated powers contained in the Bill are exercisable by Statutory Instrument"
This Tory government are washing their hands of anyone but friends & family at this juncture.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@RebeccaRiots2

Off Topic.

Did I remember correctly that you had a surfeit of courgettes last year and were stuck for what to do with them? This recipe was posted on Facebook by an America relative and I thought of you.....

Baked Parmesan Zucchini Fries

INGREDIENTS:
4 zucchini, quartered lengthwise
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a cooling rack with nonstick spray and place on a baking sheet; set aside.
In a small bowl, combine Parmesan, thyme, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste.
Place zucchini onto prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan mixture. Place into oven and bake until tender, about 15 minutes. Then broil for 2-3 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@HindleA

Thanks, downloaded for later. I may be wrong but have the feeling they couldn't get away with many Statutory Instruments in coalition.

@гражданка

I think it were you who mentioned no confidence earlier. Yep I nearly changed my moniker to wishfulthinking when hoping for a vote of no confidence after the budget.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Debt restructuring
Greece has been promised discussions on restructuring its debts. The German chancellor, Angela Merkel, said the Eurogroup was ready to consider extending the maturity on Greek loans. There is now no need for a Plan B, she added.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... nts-grexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't like this at all.
This isn't okay, everyone.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I was treated to a nice bit of Sheriff Mike Wilshaw on my telly this morning.

When you see his mug on, you know someone's been fucking up. Who was going to get it in the neck today then?

Answer: early years providers. They're apparently not closing the gap between rich and poor kids. He didn't say what should be done about it.

The reporter added that 85% of early years providers are now rated Good or Outstanding by Ofsted. Run by.... Mikey Wilshaw.

Shame the Sheriff didn't get asked to explain that. Can you really be Good or Outstanding if you don't make inroads into this attainment gap? Or are the poorer kids all parked in the same schools, which Ofsted says are bad?

Either way, if I were an early years provider expecting a visit from Mikey and Co, I'd really get stuck in to my pupil premium kids. And hope the Mikey and Nicky Morgan haven't, in the meantime, decided that what really matters is stretching the most able.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tim Jones, economist at the Jubilee Debt Campaign, says this will simply extend the five-year Greek debt crisis for at least another decade.

“At the heart of it is a lie from Eurozone leaders that ‘nominal haircuts on the debt cannot be undertaken’. They can, they should and they must. Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America suffered from 20 years of economic stagnation and increasing poverty in the 1980s and 1990s because of a refusal to cancel debt and the imposition of austerity overriding democracy. The same now awaits Greece and the Eurozone unless there is a sudden change of direction.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... 11b7559e93" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's only a side issue, but you can't just vote for other people to write off debts.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Tim Jones, economist at the Jubilee Debt Campaign, says this will simply extend the five-year Greek debt crisis for at least another decade.

“At the heart of it is a lie from Eurozone leaders that ‘nominal haircuts on the debt cannot be undertaken’. They can, they should and they must. Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America suffered from 20 years of economic stagnation and increasing poverty in the 1980s and 1990s because of a refusal to cancel debt and the imposition of austerity overriding democracy. The same now awaits Greece and the Eurozone unless there is a sudden change of direction.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... 11b7559e93" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's only a side issue, but you can't just vote for other people to write off debts.
Well no, Tubby, but regardless of politics it shall have to be faced..

I've always been a bit of an internationalist and pro-EU myself but have kept quiet of late; disquiet being the primary reason. We are where we are and the fingers of blame can be pointed in many directions. At some point debt write-offs shall have to occur, just like I've used to feel for third world countries. The sooner it is done, the sooner proper restructuring and rebuilding may begin. It's not as though we're starting from a politically failed state. Well not yet anyway but how near are we to a tipping point.

Things are seriously awry; I'd say from the 80s but probably historically. People, not just finance, should be the heart of economics. I keep hearing, and suppose slip into the same lazy ways, of diminishing labour demands. 'And thank God too compared to the pre-industrial age. Now we have AI and computing for much of the messy and repetitive stuff but still have much to do. Life or the human condition needs facilitating. Not everything is easily monetized unless we share responsibility.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Pro-hunting MPs hopeful of victory – if the SNP stay away
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... stay-away/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour Transport ‏@labourtransport 10m10 minutes ago
BBC: Rail scheme delays discussed in March http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33508800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … -shows ministers must have known before election projects would be shelved
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I count a fair number of overseas doctoral students amongst my friends...and this just baffles them as to the stupidity of it.

Theresa May Will Ban Foreign Students From Working While Studying, And Force Them To Leave After Graduation

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07 ... 1436783203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fancy trying to get a job as an academic if you haven't got teaching experience?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Labour Transport ‏@labourtransport 10m10 minutes ago
BBC: Rail scheme delays discussed in March http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33508800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … -shows ministers must have known before election projects would be shelved
Yep.

Private Eye spotted the problems with Network Rail before the election. Ought to have been much more focus on these in the campaign.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I count a fair number of overseas doctoral students amongst my friends...and this just baffles them as to the stupidity of it.

Theresa May Will Ban Foreign Students From Working While Studying, And Force Them To Leave After Graduation

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07 ... 1436783203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fancy trying to get a job as an academic if you haven't got teaching experience?
That's pure UKIP "taking our jobs" bollocks.

Don't they want more degrees to have ties with "the real world"? Foreign students are to banned from that. Great.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Mon 13 Jul, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

utopiandreams wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Well no, Tubby, but regardless of politics it shall have to be faced..

I've always been a bit of an internationalist and pro-EU myself but have kept quiet of late; disquiet being the primary reason. We are where we are and the fingers of blame can be pointed in many directions. At some point debt write-offs shall have to occur, just like I've used to feel for third world countries. The sooner it is done, the sooner proper restructuring and rebuilding may begin. It's not as though we're starting from a politically failed state. Well not yet anyway but how near are we to a tipping point.

Things are seriously awry; I'd say from the 80s but probably historically. People, not just finance, should be the heart of economics. I keep hearing, and suppose slip into the same lazy ways, of diminishing labour demands. 'And thank God too compared to the pre-industrial age. Now we have AI and computing for much of the messy and repetitive stuff but still have much to do. Life or the human condition needs facilitating. Not everything is easily monetized unless we share responsibility.

Agree with you about the debt problem, but thought he was sloppy.

Democracy in Germany, Finland, Estonia etc probably says "Don't write off a penny".
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I count a fair number of overseas doctoral students amongst my friends...and this just baffles them as to the stupidity of it.

Just seen your posts re this on the G politics blog. The responder who thinks the problem with overseas students is they are likely to spy is just priceless!

And thanks for posting the disclosure that the Tories / Coalition govt knew full well they were going to cancel some rail projects before the election. Are they never going to be properly found out by the public?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 1m1 minute ago
Aides to Scotland's First minister @NicolaSturgeon say she will not tell SNP MPs how to vote on fox hunting
norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 5m5 minutes ago
SNP urge "Labour MPs with a conscience" to back them over vote opposing cuts to child tax credits
Both of those are good messages in my book. Of course, the second may be a bit of a quid pro quo re the first (Labour urged the SNP to vote with their consciences over fox hunting).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 48s48 seconds ago
Harriet Harman tells PLP how Labour votes on second reading of Welfare Bill will be "hung around our necks" by Tories and other critics.
Get some backbone Harman. There are sound arguments for opposing many of the measures. Make them - loudly. Is the only thing that matters to you the opinion of the Tories and their supporters?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 48s48 seconds ago
Harriet Harman tells PLP how Labour votes on second reading of Welfare Bill will be "hung around our necks" by Tories and other critics.
Get some backbone Harman. There are sound arguments for opposing many of the measures. Make them - loudly. Is the only thing that matters to you the opinion of the Tories and their supporters?
Those silly lefties at the Economist criticized the cut to tax credits too.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Jesus, James Brokenshire is still in a job.
"Our reforms — which include introducing English language testing, removing sponsorship rights from hundreds of bogus colleges, and restricting students' access to the jobs market — are all of our plan to control immigration for the benefit of Britain."
Hundreds of bogus colleges?!

How many exactly have they forcibly shutdown?

Edit- says in the article they've removed 870 licences.

Christ. If they were doing stuff wrong, how about we monitor them closely and not lose all that inward investment.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The presumably out of touch lefty liberal FT sounds unimpressed with cutting tax credits too.

http://blogs.ft.com/off-message/2015/07 ... economics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 5m5 minutes ago
Neil Kinnock emerges from Harman welfare briefing to MPs.

Asked what he thought of it...."not much".

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 6m6 minutes ago
Harman urging MPs not to campaign against public opinion.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This Harriet Harman is the one who went round in a pink bus before the election?

Who do welfare cuts affect most?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 5m5 minutes ago
Neil Kinnock emerges from Harman welfare briefing to MPs.

Asked what he thought of it...."not much".

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 6m6 minutes ago
Harman urging MPs not to campaign against public opinion.
The issue with that is that if she's judging 'public opinion' to be the election result then the voters weren't told beforehand what was going to be cut.

Plus the fact that there isn't individual votes on particular issues.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tories defeated in Lords vote on city mayors
Labour and Lib Dem peers pass three amendments to devolution bill, including allowing cities to get new powers without need for elected mayor

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... devolution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Just heard Margaret Greenwood MP give a very good Maiden Speech in the HoC after taking the seat from the unlamented McVey. I'll try to remember to link to it, once Hansard is published. I think she's going to be very good!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 1h1 hour ago
In 1931, the Labour Party split after leader Ramsay MacDonald attempted to cut the income of the low-paid and unemployed.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 2m2 minutes ago
Chuka Umunna a bit more non committal "it was a very interesting meeting".

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 4m4 minutes ago
Liz Kendall thought Harman made "a great speech". Iain McNicol "she was brilliant" Toby Perkins felt "the party is in a better place".

Kevin Schofield ‏@schofieldkevin 7m7 minutes ago
Speakers at PLP meeting "60-40" opposed to Harriet Harman's child tax credit stance, apparently. "Not just usual suspects," says top MP.
What's a 'top' MP do you think?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 1m1 minute ago
Large pack (more than two) of Lobby journalists waiting outside key meeting of First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and SNP MPs on fox hunting.

David Maddox ‏@DavidPBMaddox 2m2 minutes ago
SNP MPs locked in a foxhole apparently deeply divided over hunting vote
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From Tim Fenton / Zelo Street:
... The Labour Party was, for over a decade, comfortable with Tony Blair: I’d suggest that this is not an either/or choice. Nor should it be: if the grass roots don’t have confidence in their leader, it doesn’t matter how commanding their oratory, they ain’t going to get elected if the party’s footsoldiers can’t be arsed to turn out and support them.

Perhaps Ms Harman has been sold short by Eaton, but, given the brevity of the correction at the end of his article, it seems not. Tens of thousands of families are going to be worse off as a result of last week’s Budget: are Labour to simply abandon them? With signs now coming from the Tories that public sector workers will not receive their enhanced minimum wage, some may find themselves in a yet worse situation.

What, one has to ask, is the point of Labour if not to stand up for the less well-off?
http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... orrow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems there is still no clear line on how the contradiction between the 1% cap on public sector pay rises and 'compulsory' introduction of the so called national living wage will be sorted for low paid worker in the public sector. Not sounding hopeful that they will get the so called compulsory national living wage from that though ... Not so compulsory, not so national, and definitely not living.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 18m18 minutes ago
Lobby waiting like a pack of hounds outside SNP MPs hunting decision meeting with Sturgeon... Being told there may be no decision

Christopher Hope retweeted
Dr. Brian May ‏@DrBrianMay 15m15 minutes ago
Hey, dear Scots ! E-mail your SNP MP tonight and tell him you expect him/her to stand up against abuse of Wild Animals throughout Britain.

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 11m11 minutes ago
SNP MPs' meeting on fox hunting drags into its second hour as party discusses whether or not to vote on Wednesday with Nicola Sturgeon...

David Maddox ‏@DavidPBMaddox 13m13 minutes ago
Rumours that there is a Salmond vs Sturgeon camps split in SNP on foxes and evel
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Voting is to elect representation or decide a course of action, it's not about voting for other people to write off debts, no.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/ ... ent-issued" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Key PIP mobility judgment issued
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Maddox ‏@DavidPBMaddox 6m6 minutes ago
SNP MPs flee lobby pack to avoid answering questions on hunting vote... @AngusMacNeilSNP and @NatalieMcGarry literally on the run
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I stuck this elsewhere but forgot this place.

Academy sponsors admit the schools ‘are not a panacea’

https://www.tes.co.uk/news/school-news/ ... a%E2%80%99
Academy chains – which will be expected to take on large numbers of extra schools – have revealed major misgivings about funding, capacity and the government’s ability to manage the expansion.

The leaders of these organisations are understandably reluctant to speak out publicly and risk damaging their chains’ allimportant relationships with the Department for Education. But, under the promise of anonymity, they voiced their alarm about how the academies system has been run to date and their fears for the future.

‘Pushed’ to take on schools

The head of one large academy chain told TES that under the coalition government, DfE officials were “queuing up” to hand over schools in special measures to willing academy sponsors. At one stage, officials even lost track of the number of academy orders that had been signed off.

“They kept pushing us to take on more, to the point where we said we couldn’t accept any more schools,” the leader said. “They thought we had half the amount of academy orders we actually had.” The result was that some academy sponsors demanded that the DfE take back some of the schools.
And there will be more given the stupidity of some of the decisions about who to place schools with.

And this...
One of the biggest areas of frustration among sponsors is the DfE’s Education Funding Agency (EFA), which is responsible for academy funding. The mere mention of the body’s name was enough to provoke an unrepeatable diatribe from a senior source in one chain. Another said that “[the EFA] don’t know their left hand from their right”.
Ouch.

Too far, too fast...
Last edited by refitman on Mon 13 Jul, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: Link fixed
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Saw that elsewhere, Roger, cheers.

My favourite bit was the chain with 3-4 schools saying they couldn't afford the support functions to take more on that needed lots of work.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Apologies if we've already had this posted.
Terrible news.
Landlord repossessions were 41,965 in 2014, the highest annual figure in the series, which covers the period from 2000.

Repossessions by county court bailiffs: Once a warrant has been issued county court bailiffs can repossess the property on behalf of the claimant. There were 11,307 landlord repossessions by county court bailiffs in January to March 2015, up 8% on the same period in 2014.
The total number of repossessions in 2014 was 41,965, up 11% on 2013.
The estimated proportion of claims leading to repossessions has followed an upward trend between 2009 and 2012, remaining at a stable in 2013 (24%) and increased to 25% in 2014.
It is estimated that 21% of claims made in January to March 2015 will lead to repossessions by county court bailiffs, although this figure could range between 18% and 25%.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 1-2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kate Devlin ‏@_katedevlin 2m2 minutes ago
Angus Robertson leaves SNP meeting saying "there is a clear position" on foxhunting - statement soon
Don't like the sound of this ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Maddox ‏@DavidPBMaddox 1m1 minute ago
1st a statement then no statement on fox hunting press release apparently coming shortly from SNP #batedbreath

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 2m2 minutes ago
SNP decision on whether the party's MPs will vote on fox hunting in England expected imminently. Nicola Sturgeon tight lipped after meeting.

Aarrgghhh ...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
David Maddox ‏@DavidPBMaddox 6m6 minutes ago
SNP MPs flee lobby pack to avoid answering questions on hunting vote... @AngusMacNeilSNP and @NatalieMcGarry literally on the run
Damn.
Do you think it bodes ill or are the SNP just being dramatic to screw around?
I hope they're just messing around & will assist keeping Wales & England free from hunting.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Given that DLA was woefully underclaimed,it will be interesting to see the effect on claims for PIP when WRAG group becomes financially and ever more conditionality equivalent to JSA.The DWP certainly expect some offset/ will utilise as assuation.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rowena Mason retweeted
Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 4m4 minutes ago
Breaking: SNP Will vote on foxhunting bill on Wednesday I am told... Big constitutional moment
F...ing brilliant.

Now I can have that glass of wine.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Angus Robertson ‏@AngusRobertson 7m7 minutes ago
MPs from @theSNP will oppose Tory fox-hunting plans in key vote. Thanks for the encouragement from constituents and citizens throughout UK.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 18m18 minutes ago
Lobby waiting like a pack of hounds outside SNP MPs hunting decision meeting with Sturgeon... Being told there may be no decision

Christopher Hope retweeted
Dr. Brian May ‏@DrBrianMay 15m15 minutes ago
Hey, dear Scots ! E-mail your SNP MP tonight and tell him you expect him/her to stand up against abuse of Wild Animals throughout Britain.

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 11m11 minutes ago
SNP MPs' meeting on fox hunting drags into its second hour as party discusses whether or not to vote on Wednesday with Nicola Sturgeon...

David Maddox ‏@DavidPBMaddox 13m13 minutes ago
Rumours that there is a Salmond vs Sturgeon camps split in SNP on foxes and evel
I wondered how long that would take to materialise (the split), if indeed it has.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 4m4 minutes ago
I'm told that 20 Labour MPs spoke against Harman at PLP meeting, with just five in favour. http://bit.ly/1O1yrxl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Editing to add:
Harman's refusal to table reasoned amendments to the welfare bill, outlining the party's differences with the government, angered Frank Field, the chair of the work and pensions select committee and the former welfare reform minister, who shouted at her that Labour had to defend the "three million strivers" who faced losing £1,000 from tax credit cuts (prompting Keith Vaz to quip that he never thought he'd see the day when she would be "attacked from the left" by Field). One senior MP predicted that Harman would be forced to back down at tomorrow morning's shadow cabinet meeting.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Mon 13 Jul, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.