Tuesday 14th July 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 14th July 2015

Post by PorFavor »

Oh - and this which was covered here, yesterday -
David Cameron open to idea of workers saving up to fund own sick pay

PM’s spokeswoman says he is prepared to consider making people pay into savings accounts to cover periods of illness or unemployment (Guardian)
I haven't heard anyone from Labour jumping up and down about it. Surely the idea that the Conservatives are even thinking about such a thing should be pounced upon, highlighted, turned inside out, and ripped to shreds before we get to the point where "Harmanisation" is the official response. Or are we waiting to see if it passes the Frank Field test?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

utopiandreams wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:TallyHo!

So the SNP are to vote to keep the ban on foxhunting in England, despite it not impacting on Scotland in any at a all.

A split the Union tactic?
So I guess you don't agree with Sturgeon's second reason then, SH.
The second reason is that actually this debate over the past debate has thrown a spotlight onto Scotland’s foxhunting law because what the Conservative government are saying is they’re simply bringing the English law into line with the Scottish law – that’s made a lot of people in Scotland think ‘shouldn’t we be tightening up our law to bring it into line with English law as it stands’. Inevitably there will now be a look at the Scottish law and what we will be looking at is whether the current English law is better and actually there is an interest for us, then, in making sure the English law stays as it is.
Personally I think it serves Cameron right for being so obsessed with fox-hunting. I believe he once said the hunting ban was one of the things that infuriated him most. He has made it an issue and used Scottish law as part of his argument, so there is every reason to include the Scots as it brings there own law into question. Besides it's Cameron that wants to play politics.

Not at all, no. Purest sophistry.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote: Harman has gone completely the wrong way on welfare. There are plenty of economic and delivery problems with the government's bill that Labour can object to, if they're worried about being seen as the welfare party. There is a huge opportunity for making the Tories work hard by opposing everything - Cameron isn't used to getting his vote out, he relied on Clegg a great deal for getting stuff through the Commons. Make him rally every last MP for every single vote and eventually his slim majority will surely crack. If nothing else it'll bug hell out of him.
Yes - to all this - and to their credit the SNP are seizing the opportunity to do just that ... This is what Harman and whoever it is in Labour actually making strategy decisions just doesn't seem to get - people want some real opposition, some real arguments about the principles and delivery. Not just bloody technical disagreements and tinkering in case we upset Tory voters ...
Working on the wild side.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:Oh - and this which was covered here, yesterday -

PM’s spokeswoman says he is prepared to consider making people pay into savings accounts to cover periods of illness or unemployment (Guardian)
I haven't heard anyone from Labour jumping up and down about it. Surely the idea that the Conservatives are even thinking about such a thing should be pounced upon, highlighted, turned inside out, and ripped to shreds before we get to the point where "Harmanisation" is the official response. Or are we waiting to see if it passes the Frank Field test?
Let us be grateful, at least Harman and/or Kendall haven't come out and said they support it - at the time of writing, anyway :twisted:

(it seems there has been some rowing back on this from No 10 since yesterday, actually - "we were just being polite to IDS" seems to be the line now)

One final comment on the SNP/hunting business, btw -

It may be recalled that when it looked likely that the Nats would be ordered to stay away from any hunting vote, you could hardly move on social media for CyberNats loudly and self righteously justifying this decision - "we weren't elected to Westminster to save the English from themselves" being a common mantra. So how have they treated the developments this week? Quite seamlessly, as you might expect from the cult followers they essentially are. "LOOK AT THE SNP PROVIDING A REAL OPPOSITION, NOT LIKE THOSE RED TORIES!" seems to be the new "line to take" (erm, like, isn't the small matter that nearly every Labour MP was also going to vote against relevant?)

We have even had those wretched self hating pseudo-leftist "useful idiots" in England coming out with the "I wish *we* had a party like the SNP" whine again :roll:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The International Monetary Fund (IMF)
Nine Key Questions on Greece
July 13, 2015

http://www.imf.org/external/country/grc/greecefaq.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

They need to make the point, very loudly, that we already have a system like this - National Insurance.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Let us be grateful, at least Harman and/or Kendall haven't come out and said they support it - at the time of writing, anyway :twisted:

(it seems there has been some rowing back on this from No 10 since yesterday, actually - "we were just being polite to IDS" seems to be the line now)

One final comment on the SNP/hunting business, btw -

It may be recalled that when it looked likely that the Nats would be ordered to stay away from any hunting vote, you could hardly move on social media for CyberNats loudly and self righteously justifying this decision - "we weren't elected to Westminster to save the English from themselves" being a common mantra. So how have they treated the developments this week? Quite seamlessly, as you might expect from the cult followers they essentially are. "LOOK AT THE SNP PROVIDING A REAL OPPOSITION, NOT LIKE THOSE RED TORIES!" seems to be the new "line to take" (erm, like, isn't the small matter that nearly every Labour MP was also going to vote against relevant?)

We have even had those wretched self hating pseudo-leftist "useful idiots" in England coming out with the "I wish *we* had a party like the SNP" whine again :roll:

Ha! Thanks for the information. However, since they're continuing to be "polite" to Iain Smith as he continues to make an almighty balls-up of Universal Credit, I'm not entirely reassured.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

:D
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 14 Jul, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 27m27 minutes ago
Dominic Raab becomes the latest Govt minister to set out why he's against relaxation of foxhunting laws
http://huff.to/1RwbcSc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good, reasonable and well argued case against the Cameron / Countryside Alliance stitch up. If there is sophistry around it is in the likes of Paterson and Cameron pretending this isn't a return to hunting foxes ... oh no, of course it isn't. Pest control - my arse. They are having to capture fox cubs and breed them up to have them available to kill. And as for the 'research and observation' addition as a reason to hunt with packs of dogs. FFS who do they think they are kidding with that?
One aspect of the current debate has focused on whether shooting foxes might be both less effective and cause more suffering, because farmers and gamekeepers pursuing the fox cannot always kill it cleanly - which risks leaving a wounded animal to escape and/or die slowly under even worse conditions than being hunted by a pack of dogs. This is particularly germane to hilly terrain, where shooting can be less reliable.

Having looked again at this point, I have to say that I am not convinced that hunting foxes with a pack of dogs is substantially more effective or inflicts less suffering on the fox than shooting. The evidence - including the often cited study by the Federation of Welsh Farmers Packs - does not, in my view, bear this conclusion out. When the Department for the Environment and Rural Affairs assessed that study in 2013, they were similarly unconvinced.
The big protest march against relaxing the ban on hunting is still going ahead tomorrow. Campaigners reckon it is more necessary than ever to get a point across to Cameron ... and will help to rally further support for the inevitable battle of battles that is coming down the line.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Mot du jour aujourd'hui -

Continue (and variations on same)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Graham Jones ‏@GrahamJones_MP 3h3 hours ago
Just asked Tory Sec of State if #HuntingAct #HuntingBan is a free vote for Tories according to PM, why has he pulled it? (Because it isn't)
Graham Jones ‏@GrahamJones_MP 3h3 hours ago
Tory Sec of State says Eng & Wals #HuntingAct #HuntingBan vote delayed because of Scots Nats decision 2vote. No mention of Irish MPs voting.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Universal Credit staff go on strike in protest against 'oppressive' culture under Tory welfare reforms

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/un ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Dan Jarvis ‏@DanJarvisMP · 4 mins4 minutes ago
Pressed @foreignoffice Ministers in @UKParliament earlier about #IranDeal & tackling threat of #ISIL extremism.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

This is a very good piece too. It sets out the conflict the actions of the SNP have raised for those who want no return to the cruelty of fox hunting but also value the position of Scottish MPs not voting on matters that don't affect Scotland ...
SEAN O'GRADY
Fox hunting is demonstrably cruel, but if there is going to be a change in the law we should do it properly
Another great national discussion, please, with debates on TV and riots in Trafalgar Square

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 88020.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but says that any reservations about the way the SNP have behaved are offset by the way in which Cameron sought to introduce this return to hunting
... Except for one thing, which is the frankly sneaky way the government – or rather most of the Conservative Party in parliament – is trying to change the law. That is undemocratic. They are changing, and effectively rendering useless, a high-profile piece of legislation through a vote on “statutory instruments”, rather than openly tackling amendment or abolition of the law. It just stinks...
Precisely.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Bryant MP retweeted
MickAntoniw ‏@MickAntoniw1 13m13 minutes ago
Plaid's three MPs were expected to vote with Tory MPs to relax the ban.

Disappointing to see Plaid support for foxhunt lobby
This is an area where there ought to be some pressure applied now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Harman has gone completely the wrong way on welfare. There are plenty of economic and delivery problems with the government's bill that Labour can object to, if they're worried about being seen as the welfare party. There is a huge opportunity for making the Tories work hard by opposing everything - Cameron isn't used to getting his vote out, he relied on Clegg a great deal for getting stuff through the Commons. Make him rally every last MP for every single vote and eventually his slim majority will surely crack. If nothing else it'll bug hell out of him.
Yes - to all this - and to their credit the SNP are seizing the opportunity to do just that ... This is what Harman and whoever it is in Labour actually making strategy decisions just doesn't seem to get - people want some real opposition, some real arguments about the principles and delivery. Not just bloody technical disagreements and tinkering in case we upset Tory voters ...
Why are Labour doing (not doing) this?!
I can't figure it out!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:This is a very good piece too. It sets out the conflict the actions of the SNP have raised for those who want no return to the cruelty of fox hunting but also value the position of Scottish MPs not voting on matters that don't affect Scotland ...
SEAN O'GRADY
Fox hunting is demonstrably cruel, but if there is going to be a change in the law we should do it properly
Another great national discussion, please, with debates on TV and riots in Trafalgar Square

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 88020.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but says that any reservations about the way the SNP have behaved are offset by the way in which Cameron sought to introduce this return to hunting
... Except for one thing, which is the frankly sneaky way the government – or rather most of the Conservative Party in parliament – is trying to change the law. That is undemocratic. They are changing, and effectively rendering useless, a high-profile piece of legislation through a vote on “statutory instruments”, rather than openly tackling amendment or abolition of the law. It just stinks...
Precisely.
This is part of what terrifies me about the Tory party, Tory party supporters, members, voters & leaders.
Whatever it takes to get what Tory friends & family want is fine - that's the Tory party.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Is Liz Kendall Labour's best chance to get returned to government?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

SpinningHugo wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:TallyHo!

So the SNP are to vote to keep the ban on foxhunting in England, despite it not impacting on Scotland in any at a all.

A split the Union tactic?
So I guess you don't agree with Sturgeon's second reason then, SH.
The second reason is that actually this debate over the past debate has thrown a spotlight onto Scotland’s foxhunting law because what the Conservative government are saying is they’re simply bringing the English law into line with the Scottish law – that’s made a lot of people in Scotland think ‘shouldn’t we be tightening up our law to bring it into line with English law as it stands’. Inevitably there will now be a look at the Scottish law and what we will be looking at is whether the current English law is better and actually there is an interest for us, then, in making sure the English law stays as it is.
Personally I think it serves Cameron right for being so obsessed with fox-hunting. I believe he once said the hunting ban was one of the things that infuriated him most. He has made it an issue and used Scottish law as part of his argument, so there is every reason to include the Scots as it brings there own law into question. Besides it's Cameron that wants to play politics.
Not at all, no. Purest sophistry.
What is sophistry?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Here you go citizen - I had to look it up earlier myself - to make sure I was correct in my understanding of it.
sophistry
ˈsɒfɪstri/
noun
the use of clever but false arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving.
"trying to argue that I had benefited in any way from the disaster was pure sophistry"
a fallacious argument.
plural noun: sophistries
synonyms: specious reasoning, the use of fallacious arguments, sophism, casuistry, quibbling, equivocation, fallaciousness
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Here you go citizen - I had to look it up earlier myself - to make sure I was correct in my understanding of it.
sophistry
ˈsɒfɪstri/
noun
the use of clever but false arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving.
"trying to argue that I had benefited in any way from the disaster was pure sophistry"
a fallacious argument.
synonyms: specious reasoning, the use of fallacious arguments, sophism, casuistry, quibbling, equivocation, fallaciousness
Oh I like the word casuistry. I feel it ought to be re-spelled as casuistory. Edited to add: And sophistory as well of course.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dead fox left outside home of anti-hunting former MP
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33523329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A dead fox has been found outside the home of a former MP who campaigned against hunting with dogs.
Mike Foster, the ex-Labour MP for Worcester, found the animal on his driveway on Tuesday.
MPs were due to vote on Wednesday on relaxing the ban on fox-hunting in England and Wales, but the government delayed the vote after the Scottish National Party said it would oppose the changes.
Mr Foster who tried unsuccessfully to ban hunting through a Private Member's Bill in 1997, said the timing of his find could be "a coincidence."
He lost his Worcester seat in the 2010 general election to the Conservative Robin Walker.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frightful_oik wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Here you go citizen - I had to look it up earlier myself - to make sure I was correct in my understanding of it.
sophistry
ˈsɒfɪstri/
noun
a fallacious argument.
Oh I like the word casuistry. I feel it ought to be re-spelled as casuistory. Edited to add: And sophistory as well of course.
Yes - casuistry is good, isn't it? Conjures up a world of shadowy Tudor cloisters and so on.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

sophistry
ˈsɒfɪstri/
noun
a fallacious argument.
I didn't understand what SH was referring to as sophistry.
I'm sorry I didn't write that more clearly.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
sophistry
ˈsɒfɪstri/
noun
a fallacious argument.
I didn't understand what SH was referring to as sophistry.
I'm sorry I didn't write that more clearly.
Ah - I wondered if that was what you meant. But I plumped for the easier option to answer I'm afraid. :)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Budget approved:
Ayes: 320
Noes: 290
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Schofield ‏@schofieldkevin 59m59 minutes ago
For the good of their sanity, I'd suggest @johnmcternan and @NickCohen4 don't read any of this ... " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
The link goes to Liz Kendall's Facebook page where she invites questions and comments - and answers a few. To say she has upset a lot of people is an understatement going on the comments I've just read ... many of whom are saying they won't vote Labour again because of rhetoric / views like hers. I was dismayed to see a comment by someone local to here who I spent some time talking with before the last election and he was persuaded to vote for Labour again - because of our wonderful candidate mostly - despite some reluctance. He has a great campaigning streak and can take a fair few people with him when he gets behind an issue. I feel as though a lot of work has been undone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 19s20 seconds ago
I am told that at least 12 Conservative ministers, whips and PPSs would have voted to keep the #foxhunting ban. By me http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... gland.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Good god. Cameron should wake up ... that's not a winning policy by any stretch of the imagination.

Heard Roger Gale MP (Con) earlier on Radio 4 saying he thinks the government would have lost the vote even without the SNP pitching in ... he sounded fairly sure of himself.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Kevin Schofield ‏@schofieldkevin 59m59 minutes ago
For the good of their sanity, I'd suggest @johnmcternan and @NickCohen4 don't read any of this ... " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
The link goes to Liz Kendall's Facebook page where she invites questions and comments - and answers a few. To say she has upset a lot of people is an understatement going on the comments I've just read ... many of whom are saying they won't vote Labour again because of rhetoric / views like hers. I was dismayed to see a comment by someone local to here who I spent some time talking with before the last election and he was persuaded to vote for Labour again - because of our wonderful candidate mostly - despite some reluctance. He has a great campaigning streak and can take a fair few people with him when he gets behind an issue. I feel as though a lot of work has been undone.
Really saddened to hear that (although she is the candidate least likely to win the Leadership contest!) her comments and views are alienating so many Labour voters – what does if profit a Party to gain the world but lose its own soul? (to misquote a proverb!) Do you think it'd be worth pointing out to the chap you know that hers are not the views of the wider Party – and it is the wider Party which gets to elect the Leader. Was it four-to-one against Harman's proposition to the PLP, last night, as well?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Petitioning Deputy Leader of the Labour Party Harriet Harman

Oppose the Conservatives in Parliament

https://www.change.org/p/harriet-harman ... e_petition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

I see, from the BBC Red Button news, that Cameron declared the SNP's position (on the hunting vote) to be 'entirely opportunistic.' Surely it's 'entirely opportunistic' of Cameron to pull the vote?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Margaret Greenwood ‏@MGreenwoodWW 11m11 minutes ago
An honour to represent Wirral West & pay tribute to @TTWestKirby @Hooleroadhub @FestivalFirsts in my maiden speech http://tinyurl.com/nmmsqtb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This tweet just improved my humour. Anyone know what Esther is up to these days?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:Petitioning Deputy Leader of the Labour Party Harriet Harman

Oppose the Conservatives in Parliament

https://www.change.org/p/harriet-harman ... e_petition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Signed – and gladly!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PIP 20 metre rule consultation back in court

https://www.latentexistence.me.uk/pip-5 ... -in-court/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... d#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Catholic church labels UK welfare policy heartless and cold
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Yanis Varoufakis full transcript: our battle to save Greece

"HL: You’ve said creditors objected to you because “I try and talk economics in the Eurogroup, which nobody does.” What happened when you did?

YV: It’s not that it didn’t go down well – it’s that there was point blank refusal to engage in economic arguments. Point blank. … You put forward an argument that you’ve really worked on – to make sure it’s logically coherent – and you’re just faced with blank stares. It is as if you haven’t spoken. What you say is independent of what they say. You might as well have sung the Swedish national anthem – you’d have got the same reply. And that’s startling, for somebody who’s used to academic debate. … The other side always engages. Well there was no engagement at all. It was not even annoyance, it was as if one had not spoken"

http://www.newstatesman.com/world-affai ... ave-greece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Department for Education rapped over use of Sats data
UK Statistics Authority says DfE used data to imply a link between academy status and improvements in test results; plus trust’s land sale, phonics screening and Sats ‘maladministration’

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mhairi Black: SNP MP's maiden speech in full

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

:lol: :lol: Angry Salmond ‏@AngrySalmond · Jul 12
Word has it that George Galloway has run out of people to block on Twitter, so he has started yelling "BLOCKED!" at people on the street. :lol: :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Questions in the House about the Bournemouth free school farce. (This is the one that couldn't find a site, and has been housed in an old training college at the less than convenient airport. They found a new building, but didn't notice that bats were living in, so another year in the temporary building).

The minister (Edward Timpson, having to cover for Nash in the Commons, I presume) tried to claim there'd be no extra costs in staying an extra year in the temporary building...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dartford MP Gareth Johnson changes mind on repealing the Hunting Act as government delays free vote
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/ne ... unt-40081/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another Conservative who wasn't going to follow the ridiculous Cameron / Countryside Alliance line. Excellent.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Perfect - absolutely perfect - from Steve Bell.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... an-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

We had put an end to this kind of thing, now its back. Where were the factory inspectors? Where was a Union rep demanding the safety guards be put in place?

Man jailed over 16-year-old apprentice's lathe death in Bury
The court heard there was no safety regime at the engineering company, with youngsters left untrained and unsupervised while safety guards had been removed from machinery

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-33444514" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The cruelty, deliberate lies told below the lines on threads are meant to stifle communication & misinform people.
My commitment to a path of non-violence I write about here because I don't like some people very much given the words & actions they engage in & if I weren't dedicated to cooperative non-violence, I'd be in combat.
Nothing grows in combat zones though so I'm glad my choice is made.

Good-night, everyone.
love
cJA

P.S. I was contacted by Kendall leadership campaign by phone this afternoon to ask me who I might vote for.
I disappointed the person I spoke with & was told she's the one able to return a Labour government.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:We had put an end to this kind of thing, now its back. Where were the factory inspectors? Where was a Union rep demanding the safety guards be put in place?

Man jailed over 16-year-old apprentice's lathe death in Bury
The court heard there was no safety regime at the engineering company, with youngsters left untrained and unsupervised while safety guards had been removed from machinery

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-33444514" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The easy and too trite response to your question is along the lines of they were simply too much red tape so were got rid of AAW ... but the horrible truth is this is the kind of lax, uncaring and risky work environments that the Tories will enable to be the norm if they get their way on negotiating away the European working directives / protections, further weakening of the unions and scrapping of more so called red tape regulations. And young people are going to be both much more desperate for work when most of the social security net is taken away from them and that much cheaper / dispensable when they are on the lowest compulsory rates of pay - or non rates even.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

???
"Natalie Rowe ‏@RealNatalieRowe · 2m2 minutes ago
Just wondering....why MSM isn't spilling the beans re #IainDuncansmith & EstherMcvey. Only fair I give them a nudge, or do I do it for them"
???
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://niesr.ac.uk/blog/george-osborne- ... aWEwWpwZpV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

George Osborne is committing to the wrong target

"Balancing the overall budget increases the costs passed on to future taxpayers: we are being asked to make sacrifices that make later generations worse off. As Talleyrand might have said, this would be worse than a crime, it would be a blunder, a blunder generated by faulty economic logic."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A match made in Hell.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:A match made in Hell.
Deserving of each other.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Full coverage expected on BBC - not

Action day 14: Manchester legal aid lawyers stand united

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/action- ... 85.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;