Friday 17th July 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 17th July 2015

Post by Willow904 »

Watch out! There's a Rusbridger about!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Willow904 wrote:Watch out! There's a Rusbridger about!
I had noticed but was lost for words, Willow.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Ambulance services provide another backdrop for a drama. Okay before the Tories were in power but I had a doctor who called for an ambulance when my wife collapsed. I should have called one myself but it wasn't the first time she'd collapsed and fitted albeit not for a while. Anyway he had bother getting one with a paramedic having to try further afield. One eventually came from Derby to take her to Burton; it was Friday evening rush hour.

They didn't know the way so with siren blaring and flashing lights they had to follow me. You can imagine the gestures directed my way from other motorists.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Eight local council byelections this week:

Rother DC - one of the first two vacancies from this May's round of elections saw a LibDem gain from the Tories with a 14% swing. This is a ward that unexpectedly elected a Tory then with a LibDem - having elected 2 LibDems in 2011, 2007 and 2003 (though it was sometimes rather close) The Tory elected this time found it a shock themselves, and resigned after just weeks due to ill health. UKIP stood here for the first time at this level and managed slightly over 8%, this however was just enough to edge Labour into the bottom spot after they fell by a similar amount (though their usual level of support was likely slightly inflated here in May due to GE level turnout)

Tendring DC - the other rapid new contest from earlier this year saw a fairly unusual UKIP hold (the sitting councillor quit in factional infighting after the council group split over whether to form a coalition with the Tories) May had seen them take both seats here in emphatic fashion having not stood here before - though winning the Essex CC division covering this area in 2013 had been a indicator of things to come (and then, of course, the Clacton by-election) Unsurprisingly given the circumstances their share was down - by nearly 10% - with the second placed Tories (winners here in 2011 and 2007) and third placed Labour (who won in 2003) both picking up some ground. An Independent tried their luck this time, but came last with just 4%.

Denbighshire - Tory hold, with a small swing in their favour since 2012. Both they and second placed Labour advanced since then but the Tories improved a bit more, to just over half the vote. The reason for this was a big decline in the Independents, who only just finished behind Labour last time and polled decently on their previous appearance here in 2004. Labour's result here was still pretty good by recent historic standards - Plaid had managed to get one of their candidates second behind the Tories on their previous showing in 2004 but came last with less than 6% now.

Cumbria CC - Tory hold, but by a relatively modest 55-45 against the LibDems in what has traditionally been a much safer division for them. Compared with 2013 they were little changed but the LibDems were up by over 20% as UKIP (who had narrowly secured second place then in their first contest here) did not stand again. LibDems came second here in 2005 and 2009, but with about half the share they got now - this has to be considered a good result in a generally decent week for them.

Kingston-upon-Thames - LibDem hold, with 60% of the vote and a swing of the Tories of over 16% compared to both last year and a previous by-election in May when they only held of the Tories by a handful of votes on their day of disaster here as elsewhere. Traditionally this ward returned 3 LibDems with pretty safe margins, but yet another by-election provided a warning when the LibDems were run close - and the Tories duly took one of the seats in 2014's regular elections. In a return to their traditional dominance here, the yellows took support off everybody - Labour were well down on the last two contests in third, as were the Greens in 4th. UKIP last with 2%, halved from their initial appearance here two months ago.

Wrexham - a LibDem gain from Labour that seemed to appear out of absolutely nowhere - they took over half in their first contest here this century, beating Labour by 2 to 1. This becomes maybe more explicable when it becomes known that there has been a major controversy over new housing plans here, and the previous incumbent councillor went Independent in protest at the issue. Traditionally this has been a battle solely between Labour and Indies (Independents taking both seats here in both 2004 and 2008, before Labour took over 60% last time) but they were also crushed by the LibDem juggernaut, two Independents taking just 12% between them this time. Tories and UKIP also stood this time, but to little effect as both scored less than 5%.

Norfolk CC - two vacancies here, the first was a Tory gain from UKIP with a swing of 19% since 2013 (this was the seat of the one time candidate for Great Yarmouth who was forced to quit after being accused of electoral fraud, his conviction caused this vacancy) when the Tories lost this division, being pushed into third place having won it easily in 2009 (when UKIP moved into 2nd) and more narrowly over Labour in 2005. Labour had a small increase on last time and retained second (their candidate was G Yarmouth's former MP) whilst UKIP cratered from nearly 37% two years ago to less than 14% now. LibDems got just 3%, but finished just ahead of the Greens. The other contest saw a Labour hold with over half the vote with a swing of 7% from the Greens since 2013, the latter actually won here in 2009 but now slumped to third behind the Tories who advanced well compared to then. UKIP fourth with 10% (nearly halved) and the LibDems last with just 4% (they actually held one of the three seats here on Norwich DC - where the boundaries are identical - in the 2004-10 period)

Five contests next week.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:That post re Paul Mason has reminded me -

Someone jog me, from time to time, re Temulkar's novel ("The Last Roundhead"), please.

I hope all's well with the ohsocynicals.

Edited to move comma - I blame screen lurch.
I've put a link to "The Last Roundhead" in Features & Analysis (the link goes to Waterstones not Amazon as I boycott Amazon)
HTH :)
Also hoping all is well for Mr&MrsOhso xx
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... %5Egdnnews

Children in immigration tribunals 'may have to represent themselves'
Removal of legal aid is leaving thousands of youngsters with no access to the law and at risk of exploitation and homelessness, charity claims

The Children’s Society has applied for a judicial review to challenge the justice secretary’s refusal to reinstate immigration legal aid for unaccompanied children following its removal under LASPO.
There is no depth this lot will not sink to... :(
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Can we all get a sense of perspective on Corbyn.

1. He won't win.

2. Even if he does win he won't last a year.

As for Chuka he can just shut up. Odious individual, even worse than Kendall.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Chuka actually been half sensible on Question Time (R4)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

And can we also note that the Tory party are fuckwits who are going to screw up in the next few years. For example they may actually fail to keep the lights on.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ll-to-zero

Labour needs to get off its knees, get shot of Harman and start aggressively opposing these muppets. While I view Corbyn as a joke candidate I see no reason to appease the Blairite Tory Lite wing of the party. Get the core vote onside and expand the tent later.

Whoever was responsible for extending the campaign over the summer, and getting MPs to nominate Corbyn to - have a debate - needs their arse kicking.

I assume they are two different sets of people as no one person could be so utterly incompetent.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Martin Rowson

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:And can we also note that the Tory party are fuckwits who are going to screw up in the next few years. For example they may actually fail to keep the lights on.

Labour needs to get off its knees, get shot of Harman and start aggressively opposing these muppets. While I view Corbyn as a joke candidate I see no reason to appease the Blairite Tory Lite wing of the party. Get the core vote onside and expand the tent later.

Whoever was responsible for extending the campaign over the summer, and getting MPs to nominate Corbyn to - have a debate - needs their arse kicking.

I assume they are two different sets of people as no one person could be so utterly incompetent.

Ha! You're taking no prisoners, are you?

Actually, I think Jeremy Corbyn's running (and popularity) might focus a few minds. But I agree with you - he won't win. More worrying, though, is Tom Watson. I fervently hope that he doesn't get the Deputy slot. I think he'd prove to be an irritant (within the Party), to say the least.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Getting rid of FoI slipped passed me, I wonder how the Indy feels now about their "vote tory" stand just prior to the election ?

Strong front page from the Independent tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/TheMediaTweets?lang=en-gb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:And can we also note that the Tory party are fuckwits who are going to screw up in the next few years. For example they may actually fail to keep the lights on.

Ha! You're taking no prisoners, are you?

Actually, I think Jeremy Corbyn's running (and popularity) might focus a few minds. But I agree with you - he won't win. More worrying, though, is Tom Watson. I fervently hope that he doesn't get the Deputy slot. I think he'd prove to be an irritant (within the Party), to say the least.
I can't stand Watson either, tribalist who seems utterly unsuited to any sort of political power. Sort of a left wing version of Chuka but less intelligent.

That said I pay no attention to the deputy leader contest. A total non job, people who stood for this instead of leader should note the deputy never ever goes on to lead.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:Getting rid of FoI slipped passed me, I wonder how the Indy feels now about their "vote tory" stand just prior to the election ?

https://twitter.com/TheMediaTweets?lang=en-gb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Indy line was down to the owner, who presumably wanted to keep his tax breaks.

I don't think the Tories have the votes to get rid of it. Straw should immediately be dismissed from the Labour Party for bringing it into disrepute.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I know the feeling I wonder about this as well, that and proxy votes from nursing homes

Trev Burnip ‏@trevburnip · 2 mins2 minutes ago
As weeks go by, beginning to wonder exactly how the #Tories got a majority. Anyone checked the veracity of the postal votes?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Getting rid of FoI slipped passed me, I wonder how the Indy feels now about their "vote tory" stand just prior to the election ?

The Indy line was down to the owner, who presumably wanted to keep his tax breaks.

I don't think the Tories have the votes to get rid of it. Straw should immediately be dismissed from the Labour Party for bringing it into disrepute.
I've found the FoI story, which had had slipped by me. All papers seem to follow the owners line, doesn't make it any better or excuse backing tory's. Agree on Straw.
Here it is for anyone who's not seen it.
The end of FoI? 'Right to know' in peril as Government targets Freedom of Information

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 97935.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Things not looking so good at the moment. It's quite invasive and they couldn't get it all, so he has to go back in three weeks time for them to try to get the rest of it....
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:Things not looking so good at the moment. It's quite invasive and they couldn't get it all, so he has to go back in three weeks time for them to try to get the rest of it....
I don't know what to say, except thinking of you both with love and desperately hoping things eventually work out better than they seem to be just now.

Hugs and love xx
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Wasn't Blair quoted as saying that FOI was his biggest mistake?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Talking of FOI...

Laura McInerney ‏@miss_mcinerney Jul 16
Oh blimey! The DfE has put the whole lot out. All 8 waves of free school application forms and letters to successful applicants. #FOI

and then the realisation...

Laura McInerney ‏@miss_mcinerney Jul 16
And they did it a mere 14 hours after the last @SchoolsWeek of the academic year went to press. FANCY THAT.

Given the tenacity with which she has been at the DfE's metaphorical trousers like a terrier about this, I wouldn't put it past the DfE to time these disclosures to perfection.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... fullreport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

House of Commons Briefing Paper on the Welfare and Work Bill
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:Things not looking so good at the moment. It's quite invasive and they couldn't get it all, so he has to go back in three weeks time for them to try to get the rest of it....
Hoping for the best for you both.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Aren't blackouts easily avoided by paying big users of electricity to power down on a few winter afternoons?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thinking of you ohso
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Wish I hadn't read that research briefing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Regarding SMI to loan

Excuse musings but I am having a "must be me" moment.It is apparently beneath the pale that people "have" to use an asset for care purposes,but if you account for the same needs at home it is wrong that you receive a small amount,whilst still paying the mortgage,to aid this and have to use said asset to pay it back plus interest plus charges you wish to continue to receive it.Of course you will get well if it is only a small amount and only a few receive it (both having fallen significantly) why not;I would say- why do it.Certainly a case for adapting it,but a wholesale loan replacement in all cases is just stupidity IMHO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Good Night PF
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LBC ‏@LBC 46m46 minutes ago
Standard train passengers told “you must give up your seat for 1st class ticket holders" http://l-bc.co/HA7mla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What the ........? We'll have people clinging on to the sides and roofs of trains soon.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Selling more first class tickets than they've got seats is a nice earner for the railways.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lazy, lying Labour supporters to blame for surprise Tory election win, study finds
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 97821.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's some headline. I can see Tories lapping up the alliterative jibe ... lazy, lying Labour ...
Working on the wild side.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

I'd hoped you'd get better news but sincerely hope that they will succeed next time. My love to you both xxx
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...