Tuesday 21st July 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 21st July 2015

Post by RogerOThornhill »

One issue that Chris Wormald was supposed to report back to the PAC about was the fact that the DfE have a slight timing problem with schools.

LA maintained schools have a March year end
Academies have an August year end.

Oops.

IIRC academies don't use the consistent financial reporting model that local authorities and their schools use - trying to compare back office costs would be a nightmare. A predictable nightmare.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Margaret Thatcher's role in plan to dismantle welfare state revealed
Newly released Downing Street documents show Tory cabinet considered compulsory charges for schooling and end to NHS

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Margaret Thatcher's role in plan to dismantle welfare state revealed
Newly released Downing Street documents show Tory cabinet considered compulsory charges for schooling and end to NHS

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With GPs like the one that wrote this ... who needs the Tories and Jeremy Hunt to privatise services?
... How to beat Hunt? Adopt American pioneer Dr Pamela Wible's model of the independent practitioner. Dentists regained their self-respect decades ago and it is time for GPs to do the same; charge on a sliding scale and determine your own terms and conditions. Do not be held to ransom by Hunt...
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 00136.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
She identifies many of the problems for GPs working in the current system ... but her solution stinks.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Dentists- not exactly a byword for good value for money.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Dear me, they really are the stupid party...

Net migration target renewed by Theresa May
The Conservatives have set a renewed “target” to cut net migration to the tens of thousands by 2020, Theresa May, the Home Secretary, has confirmed.

Her comments to the Commons’ all-party home affairs select committee marked a significant change in tone after the original target, set in 2010, was downgraded to an “ambition” in the run-up to the General Election.

Mrs May told MPs that the Government had maintained “the same target” and suggested it would be easier to meet because they were no longer in coalition with the Liberal Democrats.
:lol!:

Exactly how are they going to achieve that if we remain in the EU?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes 3m3 minutes ago
YouGov polled eligable to vote in Labour leadership contest: Lab members, registered supporters & affiliated trade unionists who consented

Jeremy Corbyn wins the Labour leadership according to The Times / YouGov poll.
In the final round, Corbyn beats Burnham 53%v 47%
(1/4)

YouGov: First preference votes amongst Labour members/supporters
11%: Kendall
20%: Cooper
26% Burnham
43%: Corbyn
(2/4)

Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes 2m2 minutes ago
YouGov:
Some 20 per cent of Labour members polled say they are yet to make up their minds
(3/4)

Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes 1m1 minute ago
YouGov: Deputy leadership election. 1st prefs
42% Tom Watson
21% Stella Creasy
17% Caroline Flint
11% Ben Bradshaw
10% Angela Eagle
(4/4)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Dentists- not exactly a byword for good value for money.
But they've got new found 'self respect' Tubby ... so that's all fine and dandy.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Have your say on the Welfare Reform and Work Bill

http://www.parliament.uk/business/news/ ... work-bill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deadline for written evidence submissions

The Public Bill Committee is now able to receive written evidence. The sooner you send in your submission, the more time the Committee will have to take it into consideration. The Committee is expected to meet for the first time on Thursday 10 September; it will stop receiving written evidence at the end of the Committee stage on Thursday 15 October.

Please note: When the Public Bill Committee reports, it is no longer able to receive written evidence and it could report earlier than Thursday 15 October 2015.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:One issue that Chris Wormald was supposed to report back to the PAC about was the fact that the DfE have a slight timing problem with schools.

LA maintained schools have a March year end
Academies have an August year end.

Oops.

IIRC academies don't use the consistent financial reporting model that local authorities and their schools use - trying to compare back office costs would be a nightmare. A predictable nightmare.
Were they all using the same accountant, who wanted to spread his workload across the year?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

For the first time since '76 I have no idea of who I want to win.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I want Cooper or Burnham to win.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I want Cooper or Burnham to win.
Cooper has a nasty authoritarian streak in her, so in the name of civil liberties I am going for Burnham.

Incidentally I wouldn't believe any polling on this, how do they get their samples right?

I suspect Labour may need to cull a significant number of recently registered supporters as well.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I used to be decisive,now I am not so sure.Yeah,probably between those two for me as well.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: In both cases the current "hegemonists" will become complacent and sloppy and make misjudgements - these need to be taken advantage of.
Something might, indeed, turn up.

I think that is Labour's position for 2020, and probably 2025.

I don't like that, but the people who agree with me are a tiny demonised minority.
Diddums.

I think we spend too much time debating with SH, but musing on the 'something might turn up' theme led me to a general conclusion.

Here are some things things that might happen before 2020:
another worldwide financial crisis
UK house price collapse
UK leaves the EU
Scotland leaves UK
local authority bankruptcies
fracking causes serious environmental problem
massive increase in homelessness, including families
prison riots
NHS reduced to basic services, charging for anything over and above
continuing UK economic stagnation & deflation
rising unemployment.

I'm sure you can think of more.

If none of these things happen, then we're wasting our time here, aren't we? Cameron and Osborne will have done a decent job, the tories really are the natural party of government and there's no point at all in Labour being tory lite.

So either, something turns up, in which case a possible alternative way of doing things would be nice, or it doesn't, in which case the government we have is ok. We don't need a third way.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I want Cooper or Burnham to win.
Cooper has a nasty authoritarian streak in her, so in the name of civil liberties I am going for Burnham.

Incidentally I wouldn't believe any polling on this, how do they get their samples right?

I suspect Labour may need to cull a significant number of recently registered supporters as well.
All politicians are authoritarian when it matters, because they don't want bombs going off. Not that one follows from the other, but you know what I mean.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks for input,have decided .First preference Burner and second Coopham.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

GWYNNE BLOG: Debunking the myths on Commons procedure and the Welfare Bill
Firstly, let’s debunk a media myth: last night, the Parliamentary Labour Party, as a bloc, in its entirety, united, voted AGAINST the Welfare Reform and Work Bill.

Certainly, how we got to that point probably would not have been my way of doing it, if I am being totally honest, but the facts are facts: We voted against the Bill.

Labour tabled a ‘Reasoned Amendment’ to the Bill. These are Parliamentary devices which allow you to set out (the clue is in the name) the reasons why you are opposing the entire Bill, even when there are things in it that you support.

It was necessary because the Tories have, perhaps craftily, lumped a load of stuff we don’t like, with a load of stuff they’d love us to vote against – that we most certainly ARE NOT opposed to.

(more......)

http://andrewgwynne.co.uk/2015/07/21/gw ... fare-bill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

So...

May - "Wow, what on earth went wrong with the polls?"
July - A poll show Corbyn winning. Right wingers froth themselves into a frenzy

Just sayin'...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:Thanks for input,have decided .First preference Burner and second Coopham.
Kenbyn and Corall will be very disappointed.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://unison-scotland.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glasgow strike settled as grade parity won

UNISON Glasgow Branch Statement - Homeless Caseworkers Dispute: After 17 weeks of all-out strike action the Glasgow Homeless Caseworkers have voted by a clear majority to accept an offer from the employer. The offer was recommended to a mass meeting today (21 July) by the union branch and the striking shop stewards and secures the central demand of the dispute - parity on Grade 6 with other frontline social care staff.

The offer creates 68 new Grade 6 posts with the council describing that number as a floor. The three temporary caseworkers whose substantive posts are Grade 4 will be given permanent Grade 5 posts elsewhere in the homeless service. There will be a reduction in management posts through voluntary early retirement.

The council has insisted on an assessment process for the new Grade 6 posts and will not make any backdated payment. These were the reasons why those who voted to stay out did so. However the union will be consulted on the nature of the assessment process and workers will receive a one-off payment of £350 whilst the assessment process is completed.

The strike has been successful in winning a £1,000 increase following the assessment process, rising to £5,000 by 2018. In addition, the council has been forced to concede an acceptable number of Grade 6 posts. The assessment process and the lack of any backdated money are a disappointment. In a climate of huge cuts to local government and against a hard-nosed management who tried to undermine the action by using other agencies then the overall outcome of the strike should be celebrated. The seventy strikers conducted themselves magnificently. The UNISON Glasgow Branch is so proud of them – we know that many others across the trade union movement feel the same. Well done to the Glasgow Homeless Strikers!
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

gilsey wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: In both cases the current "hegemonists" will become complacent and sloppy and make misjudgements - these need to be taken advantage of.
Something might, indeed, turn up.

I don't like that, but the people who agree with me are a tiny demonised minority.
Diddums.

I think we spend too much time debating with SH, but musing on the 'something might turn up' theme led me to a general conclusion.

UK house price collapse
UK leaves the EU
Scotland leaves UK
prison riots
rising unemployment.

If none of these things happen, then we're wasting our time here, aren't we? Cameron and Osborne will have done a decent job, the tories really are the natural party of government and there's no point at all in Labour being tory lite.

So either, something turns up, in which case a possible alternative way of doing things would be nice, or it doesn't, in which case the government we have is ok. We don't need a third way.

I don't think any of these thing will happen, anymore than they did in the last 5 years. I don't think that prices the Tories did well either

Boojmark edcyour post though for 2020 consideration.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 26s26 seconds ago
Tony Blair is setting out his views on the state of the Labour Party in the morning. I'm sure that will settle the party down ...
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
gilsey wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: Something might, indeed, turn up.

Diddums.

I think we spend too much time debating with SH, but musing on the 'something might turn up' theme led me to a general conclusion.j

UK house price collapse
UK leaves the EU
Scotland leaves UK
prison riots
rising unemployment.

I don't think any of these thing will happen, anymore than they did in the last 5 years. I don't think that prices the Tories did well either

So you think Osborne can prop up house prices at unrealistic levels indefinitely? With rising interest rates? I know he's doing everything he can to limit supply, whilst boosting demand with help to buy etc but I'm not convinced it will be enough. Prices may not crash, but there's a strong possibility they could start to slide and, with austerity smothering growth, that would be enough for a lot of people to begin to lose faith. And then there's the debt fuelled spending to keep the economy ticking over at all. What if people don't play ball and continue to pay down debt? The next 5 years are highly unlikely to be like the last 5. One of the dangers for Labour at the last election was the possibility of their inheriting an exploding economic bomb. Osborne got very lucky with low oil prices. I doubt his luck can hold out much longer.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tony Blair is setting out his views on the state of the Labour Party in the morning. I'm sure that will settle the party down ...
Oh pfft....

Time to say goodnight methinks.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
gilsey wrote: Diddums.

I think we spend too much time debating with SH, but musing on the 'something might turn up' theme led me to a general conclusion.j

UK house price collapse
UK leaves the EU
Scotland leaves UK
prison riots
rising unemployment.

So you think Osborne can prop up house prices at unrealistic levels indefinitely? With rising interest rates? I know he's doing everything he can to limit supply, whilst boosting demand with help to buy etc but I'm not convinced it will be enough. Prices may not crash, but there's a strong possibility they could start to slide and, with austerity smothering growth, that would be enough for a lot of people to begin to lose faith. And then there's the debt fuelled spending to keep the economy ticking over at all. What if people don't play ball and continue to pay down debt? The next 5 years are highly unlikely to be like the last 5. One of the dangers for Labour at the last election was the possibility of their inheriting an exploding economic bomb. Osborne got very lucky with low oil prices. I doubt his luck can hold out much longer.
I don't think any house price collapse likely and I don't think there is a bubble about to burst, no.

Come back and call me an idiot in 2020.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Oh pfft....

Time to say goodnight methinks.
I agree with your 'pfft...' - although what I said out loud was considerably less polite ;)
Sleep deeply, dream sweetly :)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... earch-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sugary drinks may cause type 2 diabetes regardless of size, research says

More play a part.I always thought that was indisputable.Glad type 2 is specified in headline,bugbear of my better half (type 1 of 41 years)is that somehow she has contributed to it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pr ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Private NHS contractor 'discharging patients before treatment is finished to meet targets'
A private firm running NHS services is allegedly discharging patients before they have been treated to avoid breaching guidelines.

An undercover probe into Care UK , Britain’s biggest provider of out-of-hours services, has revealed patients are put at “huge risk”.

Healthcare providers face fines for missing the national four-hour target for all emergency departments to conclude 95% of cases.

But covert footage has suggested doctors are discharging patients when they near the limit.

They continue to receive treatment later on, but off the books.

Suzanne Mason, professor of Emergency medicine at the University of Sheffield, said: “By discharging somebody off your system before they’ve left the department, there’s a huge risk something could happen to that patient.”

The month-long probe by ITV’s Exposure, presented by Mark Austin and to be broadcast on Wednesday night, exposed major concerns at Care UK’s 24-hour Ealing Urgent Care Centre, West London.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... 3-per-cent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suicide rate for middle-age men with mental health issues up 73%, report says
Findings also show three times as many suicides among crisis resolution or home treatment patients, the alternative to in-patient admission
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/j ... ext-decade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Generation rent: the housing ladder starts to collapse for the under-40s
Report predicts house price rises of 5% a year and shortage of affordable homes, as cost of deposit locks people out of property market