Monday 27th July 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: Monday 27th July 2015

Post by LadyCentauria »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Whilst trying to compose a coherent answer to your question I rambled through subsequent posts. Imagine?

Blimey. That should be enough for anyone.

However - I think it's that he has too many loose ends (eg the EU), and I'm not entirely happy about some of his back catalogue. He's not clear on what his overall "gameplan"is and he comes across as strangely detached and aloof. There's a touch of the "History Man" about him (odd, I know, and I can't quite explain it) which I find more than a tad off-putting.

Edited to get some of my post out of yours!
I've just been thinking a bit more about this and your comment has helped me to realise part of what it is about him that I like. My parents are teachers, and so, as a kid in the early 80s, I'd occasionally end up waiting in the staff room of the school they taught at. And Corbyn basically reminds me of pretty much everyone you could get on with then. Lefty teachers with a slightly wry air, some right-on opinions that might have dated (along with some shoddy cardigans that definitely have) but their heart firmly in the right place...

It's a funny old world, isn't it!
Hah! Me too! Although my experience of waiting in staff-rooms began in the sixties. Jeremy Corbyn is only ten years older than me but so were many of my parents' friends and colleagues - and my father's students, colleagues, and friends, once he moved from teaching in secondaries to H.E. colleges - by the late sixties and into the seventies. Plus, of course, a great many of the Labour Party members, Councillors, etc., we met through being 'roped in' to help in envelope-stuffing and deliveries (both parents were active, although Maman was the more heavily involved) were of a similar mould. Perhaps it's that sense of familiarity that draws me to him. With reservation - but then I've never been in total agreement with everything that anybody I know thinks or has done.

And; someone mentioned the Marr/Corbyn interview. It was Marr in his best 'chat-show host' mode and made me think that 'tis pity we're not getting the hour-long interviews with each of the candidates that we had of the Party Leaders during the GE run-up. Preferably without kitchens. Makes one wish for a Parkinson - or even Russell Harty...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Green party pair challenge ban on MP job sharing
Sarah Cope and Clare Phipps seeking judicial review after returning officer refused their application to jointly stand for election in Basingstoke

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ob-sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well that's an interesting concept. As with any job share I can see both advantages and disadvantages. I wonder what would happen if one person involved in an MP job share had to pull out for whatever reason. Would there have to be a by-election or would the relevant party appoint someone to the vacancy? If the latter ... I can see this having features of, and moving us closer to, proportional representation.
I certainly think it's something that deserves serious consideration. We're supposed to have, after all, a 'representative Parliament' yet, at present, our elected representatives do not reflect the job-sharers of the country; and only represent part-timers in that that is what some of them seem to think a seat in the HoC is - no names, no pack-drill ;)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

@PfY: Have a great holiday and come back refreshed :)
@yahyah: Glad you've had your internet connection restored - and that its absence allowed you and your husband to have a good and deep political discussion :hug:
@DonuHingeParty: 'Tis good to see you here again, too :D