Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd August 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd August 2015

Post by yahyah »

Tish wrote:Exaro dropped this overnight

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5624/ ... nt-assault" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No follow up in any of the mainstream media as far as I can see
Thanks Tish.
The story link doesn't open properly for me.
Have tried using the Exaro address to access it but still blank.
Maybe because of the number of people trying to view it ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Worked now.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5624/ ... nt-assault" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Tish.
Morning.

It opened for me yahyah - so not sure what the problem would be.

It's one of those stories that is unsettling because you really don't know how important and indicative it is ... and, along with other recent developments in the review of CSA etc, makes me wonder whether anything is actually going to surface or be dealt with (that last sense increased by the last couple of paragraphs of the article.)
Working on the wild side.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

yahyah wrote:

Thanks Tish.

I think Exaro have pretty low bandwidth, whenever they get too much traffic the site blocks up.

Basically, the story is that during the Ben Fellows trial last week it was stated in open court that Clarke is currently being investigated by South Yorkshire Police in regard to an alleged indecent assault on a 14 year old boy. The jury weren't informed of this because it would have been seen as prejudicial to the case, so the media was banned from reporting it. After the acquittal Exaro, who seemingly were the only media outlet who'd sent anyone to the court, and so the only people who heard it, applied to have the court order banning publication overturned, which was successful. Hence the report today, which no other paper seems willing to follow up.

Doh!!!! I'm such a slow typer!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks anyway Tish.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Workers face 14min wait to speak to the taxman as Government cuts hit revenue phone lines
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wo ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... Callers to the tax service now have to wait nearly a quarter of an hour just to get through.

In just one month, more than a million people hung up in frustration after their calls went unanswered.

The average wait for a call to HM Revenue was 14 minutes and 22 seconds in March – up from two minutes 44 seconds, a year earlier.

Even more people could not get through at all, with 1.1 million customers giving up on their calls.

And, customers wanting help with a specific tax inquiry saw their waiting times soar. The average wait time rocketed from 4 minutes and 19 seconds in March 2014 to 16 minutes and 29 seconds this March.

People calling for help and information about tax credits also endured a massive increase in the time they had to wait to speak to an adviser.

The spiralling waiting times come as HMRC jobs are slashed. Exit packages totalling nearly £40million were agreed for 1,368 staff in the last 12 months...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Outrage as Tory MP claims she felt threatened by a 'thug gang' of campaigning OAPs and disabled people
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ou ... lt-6179403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...Tory star Priti Patel has caused outrage by branding these harmless campaigners – some elderly or disabled – a “thuggish gang”.

Members of the group were shocked and distressed by the Employment Minister’s attack.

The campaigners, including a wheelchair user and at least two needing walking sticks, visited Ms Patel’s constituency HQ to urge her to protect the health service.

After they braved the rain outside her office in Witham, Essex, she fired off a furious letter to Unite union boss Len McCluskey, who she said was behind the campaign...

The remarks by Ms Patel, tipped as a future Tory leader, infuriated the group who say the planned ­Transatlantic Trade and ­Investment Partnership will lead to NHS privatisation.

Malcolm Mead said: “At the age of 78 I never expected to be called a thug by my MP. Priti Patel should apologise and listen to our concerns.”...
Reminds me of the group of clergy who wanted to talk about foodbanks and the poor who were refused entry by Cameron's constituency office and had the police called on them.

Amazing what Tories seem to consider extreme these days. Good job use of those water cannon haven't been approved, eh.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Workers face 14min wait to speak to the taxman as Government cuts hit revenue phone lines
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wo ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... Callers to the tax service now have to wait nearly a quarter of an hour just to get through.

In just one month, more than a million people hung up in frustration after their calls went unanswered.

The average wait for a call to HM Revenue was 14 minutes and 22 seconds in March – up from two minutes 44 seconds, a year earlier.

Even more people could not get through at all, with 1.1 million customers giving up on their calls.

And, customers wanting help with a specific tax inquiry saw their waiting times soar. The average wait time rocketed from 4 minutes and 19 seconds in March 2014 to 16 minutes and 29 seconds this March.

People calling for help and information about tax credits also endured a massive increase in the time they had to wait to speak to an adviser.

The spiralling waiting times come as HMRC jobs are slashed. Exit packages totalling nearly £40million were agreed for 1,368 staff in the last 12 months...

Do right wingers not care about or recognise the result of their 'shrink the state' madness ?
Do they all have accountants to deal with their tax affairs ?

I am more than a little suspicious that when my husband applied for Osborne's pensioner bonds when he turned 65 he got through quickly on the phone and the paperwork confirming the bonds had been allocated to him arrived within a few days.

Same with the Marriage Allowance, there were a few glitches with the website but I applied to transfer my unused tax allowance last month and this month my husband's had the monthly amount of tax back and code change in one of his company pension payments. They seem to be able to get that sorted speedily.

Why can they get Osborne policy stuff to work fairly smoothly, and other people have to suffer long waits/cock ups. Answer on a postcard please to.....
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 02 Aug, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Cash-strapped NHS trusts have been accused of exploiting young people by asking ­graduates to work for nothing.

Trusts across the country are recruiting voluntary assistant psychologists to fill skilled posts that usually pay up to £24,000.

One trust says the graduate must have at least a 2:1 degree and be ready to work unpaid for a year.

Labour’s shadow health minister Andrew Gwynne said: “If hospitals are now asking graduates to work for free, then that is a shocking sign of the pressures on the NHS under this Tory ­Government.”
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gr ... ar-6179446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I thought it was illegal to use volunteers to fill a proper job .... and that's what this appears to be to me. Volunteers are meant to be just that - volunteering their time and skills.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Bloody hell.

Just ventured BTL on the Graun for the first time in months.

It is a Corbyn love in.

Mass hysteria.

Let us assume that Labour won't win under any of the current leadership candidates. Does that make it ok to vote for the least electable candidate because he will provide 'real' opposition and articulate the things like anti-austerity we want?

No.

In the 80s the unelectability of Labour gave the Tories to go even further right. Thatcher in her second term knew full well she could do what she wanted as the Tories were never going to lose.

If we tack left (and Corbyn is a Bennite, not a soft left Foot figure) that gives Osborne the scope to go even further right.

Don't.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I have to go out into the garden. I'm feeling very lazy but can't allow myself to be if it's not raining. Potatoes to lift, broad beans and peas to clear - rogue raspberry canes to deal with. And a few leeks to plant. Just a few because - for those of you vaguely interested in my limp leek year - after very depressing germination rates the small pot full I had growing was knocked over by 'pain in the arse' a couple of days ago resulting in even fewer mini leeks. Grrrrh.

('pain in the arse' is our equivalent of the sulky hormonal teenager in a cat ...).
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Do right wingers not care about or recognise the result of their 'shrink the state' madness ?
Do they all have accountants to deal with their tax affairs ?

I am more than a little suspicious that when my husband applied for Osborne's pensioner bonds when he turned 65 he got through quickly ont he phone and the paperwork confirming the bonds had been given to him arrived within a few days.

Same with the Marriage Allowance, there were a few glitches with the website but I applied to transfer my unused tax allowance last month and this month my husband's had the tax back and code change in one of his company pension payments. They seem to be able to get that sorted speedily.

Why can they get Osborne policy stuff to work fairly smoothly, and other people have to suffer long waits/cock ups. Answer on a postcard please to.....
It took me 45mins to get through with a tax credit enquiry, which cost me a fiver. All because they renewed my claim with info they got from my husband's employer only to renew it all over again when I gave them the exact same information when they requested it. I couldn't see the point of getting and using the employer's information, it just meant they did everything twice, thus confusing me because I got double payments 2 months in a row. This is a recent development and presumably to do with UC but until UC is rolled out to child tax credit claimants it seems to me it's creating a lot of extra workload and confusion to little purpose.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Has the Guardian retired the politics live blog for the summer? Or has it gone for good? I realise I haven't seen it for quite some time now.
Andrew said that it would be back when parliament is, in September.
Back in the days when I could be bothered, I used to argue that it was the "Politics" blog and not the "Parliament" blog and that there was, therefore, no justification for suspending operations during the very lengthy and frequent holidays when all sorts of political shenanigans were still going on.

Good morfternoon, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Of course, Politics Live ran a Readers Edition throughout the summer in both 2013 and 2014. So why can't they now - staffing cuts perhaps?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:Bloody hell.

It is a Corbyn love in.

Mass hysteria.

Let us assume that Labour won't win under any of the current leadership candidates. Does that make it ok to vote for the least electable candidate because he will provide 'real' opposition and articulate the things like anti-austerity we want?

No.

In the 80s the unelectability of Labour gave the Tories to go even further right. Thatcher in her second term knew full well she could do what she wanted as the Tories were never going to lose.

If we tack left (and Corbyn is a Bennite, not a soft left Foot figure) that gives Osborne the scope to go even further right.

Don't.
Btl at the G has certainly gone a bit Corbyn mental but I'm not sure it's representative. A lot of the comments are in a very similar vein to the cybernat comments it was awash with during the Scottish referendum. I wouldn't be surprised if in some cases it actually was the same people. I dipped my toe in yesterday and ended up sounding like you, Hugo, and got a bit of a bashing for my trouble but I did get a few supportive replies from likeminded souls who could equally see that voting for Corbyn and attacking much of the Labour party as Tories was going to lead to a split and was just what the right-wing media wanted. Apparently supporting the likes of Ed and Burnham makes me some kind of Blairite traitor to the cause. It's not the supporting Corbyn I have a problem with, he talks a lot of sense and should have a place in the Labour party, it's the rejection of everyone else in the party and hostility towards those with a slightly different view that concerns me. As I say, very similar to the cybernats I encountered last year. It's all part of a rejection of solidarity which I have found depressing in the rise of nationalism, with the Scots wishing doom on all the English because some of them vote Tory, so even those who didn't vote Tory deserve whatever they get, apparently. I can't help feel this is all being deliberately whipped up by some dark forces or other and it's not in the interests of ordinary people, that's for sure. It's so aggressive towards anyone not part of the group think.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

I don't believe the 2:44 figure from the year before.
I gave up trying to phone HMRC two years ago because I couldn't get through, waiting 20 mins a time.
Now I contact them the old-fashioned way, by letter.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Willow904 wrote:

It is a Corbyn love in.

Mass hysteria.

No.

Don't.
Btl at the G has certainly gone a bit Corbyn mental but I'm not sure it's representative. A lot of the comments are in a very similar vein to the cybernat comments it was awash with during the Scottish referendum. I wouldn't be surprised if in some cases it actually was the same people. I dipped my toe in yesterday and ended up sounding like you, Hugo, and got a bit of a bashing for my trouble but I did get a few supportive replies from likeminded souls who could equally see that voting for Corbyn and attacking much of the Labour party as Tories was going to lead to a split and was just what the right-wing media wanted. Apparently supporting the likes of Ed and Burnham makes me some kind of Blairite traitor to the cause. It's not the supporting Corbyn I have a problem with, he talks a lot of sense and should have a place in the Labour party, it's the rejection of everyone else in the party and hostility towards those with a slightly different view that concerns me. As I say, very similar to the cybernats I encountered last year. It's all part of a rejection of solidarity which I have found depressing in the rise of nationalism, with the Scots wishing doom on all the English because some of them vote Tory, so even those who didn't vote Tory deserve whatever they get, apparently. I can't help feel this is all being deliberately whipped up by some dark forces or other and it's not in the interests of ordinary people, that's for sure. It's so aggressive towards anyone not part of the group think.
To both of you - Hear hear.

My twitter feed is awash with Corbynites to the point that I have pretty much withdrawn from that too. Arguing with other Labour party members about who should be Leader is not for me - after all, we are equally entitled to our opinion & thanks to Ed, we all have a vote of equal worth.

FWIW I'm voting Yvette with, in the interest of gender balance, Ben Bradshaw for Deputy. If Andy Turnham or Jeremy Corbyn was my Leader vote I would vote Angela Eagle for Deputy - she was impressive at the Brighton hustings - so much so that I found myself deliberately heading for her to shake her hand. She was the only one that really stressed the importance of opposing the Tories & all that they were doing.

I don't expect many of you to agree with me but it's my opinion & it will be my vote, just as yours will be.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

It is a Corbyn love in.

Mass hysteria.

No.

Don't.

Good morning, Hugo.
It's a beautiful sunny breezy day here in Hay.
There are winds of change blowing all over the place.

It is a very long way from a "Corbyn love in" over at the G. ATL hacks are not being entirely fair on the leadership contest; BTL there are many reasoned posts - from both sides - among the dross, as usual with the G these days. No "mass hysteria" involved.

I disagree that is is not OK to vote for someone who will provide real opposition and argue for the things we want. Better that than a spongy unmuscular wet response from the opposition to the policies even you agree are wrong, and better that than more of the same.

Labour in the 80's was riven with discord, plagued by militants, and controlled in part by unions with too much power. The situation now is not the same - Labour's unelectability back then, 35-plus years ago, was not what it is now - and what it is now is unelectability in the same way that most other parties are unelectable. They are the same, and that's why voters are so apathetic. That apathy is reflected in the same old crap from the Labour elite - they have forgotten their roots and all they can do is offer vague soundbites, a bit of fairly minor fiddling with the status quo, and an abstention or several.

The Tories won 35% of the vote from those who bothered to turn out; they won 50% of the available seats; they got 100% of the power. Nobody knows what would have happened if everyone came out to vote - not you, not me, not NickyBloodyB.

Corbyn is not unelectable. He has been elected in 8 General Elections, he has increased his majority every time - and he has not served in cabinet, shadow or otherwise, because he has not been given the opportunity. That doesn't mean he lacks experience, it doesn't mean he can't lead, and it doesn't mean that he might turn out to be good for Labour - the whole of Labour, not just the PLP.

You say he is a Bennite - yet you do not demonstrate how his policies are those of Benn. (They're not) It is not just students (according to Toby Helm), it is not just old red unreconstructed lefties (according to many), and it's not hysterical Corbyn-lovers (according to you)
who are supporting Corbyn. It's many people, from all sorts of affiliations - people like me, nearly 60, liberal-left all my life, and many others who see in this man the possibility of change.

He offers hope - and that is a very powerful thing.

Be as scathing as you like, Hugo. Your obvious discomfort at what is happening is what is leading you to be so rude. Do stop.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

pk1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

It is a Corbyn love in.

Mass hysteria.

No.

Don't.

My twitter feed is awash with Corbynites to the point that I have pretty much withdrawn from that too. Arguing with other Labour party members about who should be Leader is not for me - after all, we are equally entitled to our opinion & thanks to Ed, we all have a vote of equal worth.

FWIW I'm voting Yvette with, in the interest of gender balance, Ben Bradshaw for Deputy. If Andy Turnham or Jeremy Corbyn was my Leader vote I would vote Angela Eagle for Deputy - she was impressive at the Brighton hustings - so much so that I found myself deliberately heading for her to shake her hand. She was the only one that really stressed the importance of opposing the Tories & all that they were doing.

I don't expect many of you to agree with me but it's my opinion & it will be my vote, just as yours will be.
I've been torn between Burnham and Cooper. I think a female leader would be good for Labour and she has ability. Unfortunately she doesn't seem particularly popular with the electorate at large and after Ed I'm less sure of a Labour leader being able to overturn those first impressions. She can still win my vote if she comes up with something distinctive in her manifesto. I do wonder if the 20% undecideds are mostly dithering between Cooper and Burnham like me. If so, the contest is still pretty open. I'm thinking of Creasy for deputy but I like Angela Eagle too. Indeed, I like a lot of the new Labour bods coming through, which makes me more positive for the future.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

It is a Corbyn love in.

Mass hysteria.

No.

Don't.

Hear hear hear to all three of you.
I've withdrawn from message boards and twitter because the Corbyn love in is doing my head in. I find it hard to understand how this man has "taken off". Yes he talks the talk but not a word about "how" he intends to put it all into practice. As in pay for it all, trident money will not be available as that is based on borrowing, unless he plans on still borrowing the same amount for day to day running?
I do wonder if the press & media are doing a Farage, building him up with the hope of destroying the Labour movement.
If he wins I fear I shall never see another Labour government in my lifetime.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

It is a Corbyn love in.

Mass hysteria.

No.

Don't.

Yvette Cooper and Angela Eagle were my choices up until very recently. I wish Yvette Cooper would say something to persuade me back to voting for her but she is losing, rather than gaining, momentum on the convincing persuasion front. I'm still sticking with Angela Eagle, though.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Priorities
Are you voting on the basis of closest to own beliefs.
A more stalwart opposition as you see it
Previous history as Ministers
The best (granted forlorn hope)for prospective PM
To move the Party in the correct direction as you see it,regardless of consequence.

None of the candidates represent my views,none of the parties represent them,they never will.Only briefly did they come close.Far from a left/right issue for me.Burnham has some knowledge in the area I am particularly interested in ,which effects all of us,and posited some solutions.They come about half way towards what I would wish for all.On that basis I will vote for him.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AngryAsWell wrote:
pk1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Btl at the G has certainly gone a bit Corbyn mental but I'm not sure it's representative. A lot of the comments are in a very similar vein to the cybernat comments it was awash with during the Scottish referendum. I wouldn't be surprised if in some cases it actually was the same people. I dipped my toe in yesterday and ended up sounding like you, Hugo, and got a bit of a bashing for my trouble but I did get a few supportive replies from likeminded souls who could equally see that voting for Corbyn and attacking much of the Labour party as Tories was going to lead to a split and was just what the right-wing media wanted. Apparently supporting the likes of Ed and Burnham makes me some kind of Blairite traitor to the cause. It's not the supporting Corbyn I have a problem with, he talks a lot of sense and should have a place in the Labour party, it's the rejection of everyone else in the party and hostility towards those with a slightly different view that concerns me. As I say, very similar to the cybernats I encountered last year. It's all part of a rejection of solidarity which I have found depressing in the rise of nationalism, with the Scots wishing doom on all the English because some of them vote Tory, so even those who didn't vote Tory deserve whatever they get, apparently. I can't help feel this is all being deliberately whipped up by some dark forces or other and it's not in the interests of ordinary people, that's for sure. It's so aggressive towards anyone not part of the group think.

Hear hear hear to all three of you.
I've withdrawn from message boards and twitter because the Corbyn love in is doing my head in. I find it hard to understand how this man has "taken off". Yes he talks the talk but not a word about "how" he intends to put it all into practice. As in pay for it all, trident money will not be available as that is based on borrowing, unless he plans on still borrowing the same amount for day to day running?
I do wonder if the press & media are doing a Farage, building him up with the hope of destroying the Labour movement.
If he wins I fear I shall never see another Labour government in my lifetime.

The media are interested in a story. "Labour elects Bennite" is just more interesting as a story than whether we go for Cooper or Burnham.

As far as I can tell he 'pays for it' through abolishing capital asset value depreciation. Or something.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Priorities
To move the Party in the correct direction as you see it,regardless of consequence.

None of the candidates represent my views,none of the parties represent them,they never will.Only briefly did they come close.Far from a left/right issue for me.Burnham has some knowledge in the area I am particularly interested in ,which effects all of us,and posited some solutions.They come about half way towards what I would wish for all.On that basis I will vote for him.
Thanks for this. A thoughtful post. I shall be interested to see what Burnham's priorities are when the personal manifestos are published, but he's currently my frontrunner. Like Ed, his focus is more on the most vulnerable. The main thing I struggle with Corbyn is he seems to prioritise middle class things like railways and unis - nothing wrong with that, but it offers little hope to those struggling to live day to day. Again, I'll need to see his manifesto, to judge if my first impression is accurate.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
The media are interested in a story. "Labour elects Bennite" is just more interesting as a story than whether we go for Cooper or Burnham.

As far as I can tell he 'pays for it' through abolishing capital asset value depreciation. Or something.
A tax break designed to encourage business investment. Corbyn's proposal to abolish it has drawn criticism and there would certainly be far- reaching consequences of such a measure but it would be interesting to hear some non-partisan discussion of the pros and cons. Because business investment is currently woeful, so one questions whether this tax break is working and whether this tax break is, indeed, a sensible benefit.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Re the argument that a Corbyn win will shift the argument to the left regardless of whether he actually becomes PM or not, I was quite taken with this article on the Telegraph finance section by a right winger terrified of just that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... aster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The increase in the minimum wage that Osborne has promised would never have happened without Ed Miliband pushing the idea of the squeezed middle and focusing so much attention on low pay, who knows what else Labour could have affected if they'd been willing to take on the Tories on issues like benefits and education in the same aggressive way? I can't help but think that much of the hysterical reaction against Corbyn has come not from the Tories themselves but from those vested interests who don't care which party is in charge as long as both of them are parroting essentially the same economic theories. The thought of an alternative economic vision getting a weekly outing from the second biggest partyin the country has sent them all off into a panic.

I don't know if Corbyn could ever realistically be Prime Minister, but tbh it's difficult to see any of the other candidates doing that either at the moment, Burnham and Cooper don't seem to be offering anything different to what Ed was offering, which seemingly appealed to neither left wingers or floating voters, and both of them will suffer the same kind of muckraking he did as soon as they are elected. Burnham will hear "Mid Staffs" shouted at him everywhere he goes, while Cooper will be continually undermined by people claiming she is merely a front for Ed Balls. As for Kendall, frankly I wouldn't want a Labour Party led by her to win anyway. So maybe Corbyn would be worth a try, even if only to see once and for all whether there is a desire for a more left wing alternative.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

"You say he is a Bennite - yet you do not demonstrate how his policies are those of Benn."

Of course he is a Bennite. In the early 80s he worked on Benn's campaign for deputy, and has never repudiated the positions he held back then. His usual forum for his published opinions has long been the Morning Star.

Until 6 weeks ago he had consistently for decades opposed UK membership of Nato and the EU, and I don't believe for an instant that his opinion has quickly changed. He is in favour of unilateral nuclear disarmament. He wants renationalisation, not just of the railways which were renationalised in 2002 by Prescott, but also of such 'monopolies' as BT. His fiscal policies, especially his ludicrous claims about £93bn of corporate welfare, have all the unreality of Benn at his very worst.

For the last 30 years in parliament he has written and campaigned mainly on foreign affairs. We can jusge him from his appearances on iranian Press TV, alongside his "good friend" George Galloway

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When Putin's Russia invaded Ukraine unlawfully seizing part of a sovereign state, did our potential leader condemn unequivocally this flagrant breach of international law?

Nope.

What we got was lots of guff about how the borders of Ukraine had been flexible, and how provocative it had been of Nato to move up towards Russia (ie by allowing sovereign states like Poland to join)

http://stopwar.org.uk/news/the-history- ... -corbyn-mp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Corbyn is, of course, the chair of the (in my view) loony Stop the War Coalition (or more accurately Stop Wars We Don't Like Coalition - they have never made much effort to oppose the country whose stooges shoot down passenger aircraft carrying hundreds of people). Benn was its President, Corbyn is now Chair.

Like Benn, he is no doubt a lovely man. Like Benn, he appeals to the naive young. He may succeed where Benn failed and end Labour a a viable party of government.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Torygraph has a bit about Burnham's manifesto:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... festo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy Burnham launches Labour leadership manifesto
Shadow Health Secretary proposes to make the European Union pay local communities affected by high levels of EU migration, after holding talks with senior politicians in Brussels
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Willow904 wrote:
HindleA wrote:Priorities

Thanks for this. A thoughtful post. I shall be interested to see what Burnham's priorities are when the personal manifestos are published, but he's currently my frontrunner. Like Ed, his focus is more on the most vulnerable. The main thing I struggle with Corbyn is he seems to prioritise middle class things like railways and unis - nothing wrong with that, but it offers little hope to those struggling to live day to day. Again, I'll need to see his manifesto, to judge if my first impression is accurate.
A long read but sets out some of his main aims :

Recapturing the spirit of ‘45
Andy Burnham, Leeds, 28 July 2015

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tish wrote:Re the argument that a Corbyn win will shift the argument to the left regardless of whether he actually becomes PM or not, I was quite taken with this article on the Telegraph finance section by a right winger terrified of just that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... aster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Allister Heath is one of these people for whom the solution for everything is lower taxes and lower spending. Not a single original idea in his head. He's the equivalent of the quack in Blackadder who prescribed a course of leeches for everything...

Edit - great profile...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media ... 30390.html

What's the first media you turn to in the mornings?
I first turn to Sky News and CNBC, while simultaneously scanning the Telegraph and Wall Street Journal websites. I then read several blogs and websites, including Guido Fawkes, Daniel Finkelstein and the Drudge Report, before moving to the newspapers. I start with the Sun, turn to the Daily Mail, and then The Guardian, Times, Independent, Telegraph, FT, International Herald Tribune and, last but not least, the Wall Street Journal Europe. I also check the American and French papers online.
LOL

Hard to take anyone seriously with those sorts of priorities...FT second fro last and you're a business writer?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@YahYah

Do right wingers not care about or recognise the result of their 'shrink the state' madness ? No.

Do they all have accountants to deal with their tax affairs ? Yes.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Outrage as Tory MP claims she felt threatened by a 'thug gang' of campaigning OAPs and disabled people
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ou ... lt-6179403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...Tory star Priti Patel has caused outrage by branding these harmless campaigners – some elderly or disabled – a “thuggish gang”.

Members of the group were shocked and distressed by the Employment Minister’s attack.

The campaigners, including a wheelchair user and at least two needing walking sticks, visited Ms Patel’s constituency HQ to urge her to protect the health service.

After they braved the rain outside her office in Witham, Essex, she fired off a furious letter to Unite union boss Len McCluskey, who she said was behind the campaign...

The remarks by Ms Patel, tipped as a future Tory leader, infuriated the group who say the planned ­Transatlantic Trade and ­Investment Partnership will lead to NHS privatisation.

Malcolm Mead said: “At the age of 78 I never expected to be called a thug by my MP. Priti Patel should apologise and listen to our concerns.”...
Reminds me of the group of clergy who wanted to talk about foodbanks and the poor who were refused entry by Cameron's constituency office and had the police called on them.

Amazing what Tories seem to consider extreme these days. Good job use of those water cannon haven't been approved, eh.
They are ultra sensitive because they know they are in the wrong and no matter how non-threatening the protesters, cannot give a decent or sensible answer for what they are doing.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

A tax break designed to encourage business investment. Corbyn's proposal to abolish it has drawn criticism and there would certainly be far- reaching consequences of such a measure but it would be interesting to hear some non-partisan discussion of the pros and cons. Because business investment is currently woeful, so one questions whether this tax break is working and whether this tax break is, indeed, a sensible benefit.
It isn't a tax break.

If I buy a fleet of lorries for £10m, I have a capital asset worth the same as the cash (ie at that point I have suffered no loss).

If the lorries have a 10 year life.

After 10 years, the company has a pile of scrap, and no asset worth £10m.

Companies account for the depreciation as a balance sheet loss each year.

The idea that this is somehow a corporate subsidy is just potty.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I'm always reading about Corbyn defying the Whip countless times. Countless times I read the man on the street asking why the hell do so many MPs obey the whip especially on contentious issues or when it's against their constituent's interests.

Corbyn is a rebel...I like rebels.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Never forget the Maitless "demonising the Government" line on Newsnight,for daring to point out objections to "reform" and the plethora of lies they were based on.Nor indeed Grayling not having the foggiest idea about his own policies.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

ohsocynical wrote:I'm always reading about Corbyn defying the Whip countless times. Countless times I read the man on the street asking why the hell do so many MPs obey the whip especially on contentious issues or when it's against their constituent's interests.

Corbyn is a rebel...I like rebels.

Rebels are lovely.

Just not very good at being leaders whose job it is to ensure that party discipline is maintained and that others don't rebel.

Foot was no rebel. Nor was Kinnock. Nor was Attlee.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Sun 02 Aug, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

It isn't a tax break.

If I buy a fleet of lorries for £10m, I have a capital asset worth the same as the cash (ie at that point I have suffered no loss).

And of course the depreciation is accounted for completely honestly and the company gets a sliding scale of benefit from their asset as its financial value reduces...
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

OK, Hugo, it's obvious to me that you don't like Corbyn or what he stands for.

It's obvious you think "he appeals to the naive young". Like me, aged 59.

As was your habit elsewhere, you pickily patronise to the point all discussion is a waste of time.

People are not a stupid as you think they are ("naive young", indeed) and you are not as clever and/or reasonable as you think you are.

I can't be bothered to argue with you. OneButtonMonkey's much better at it than I am.

I want change, I want hope, and I want a bit of hope for change. None of the other candidates are offering that. Corbyn is.

I remember Tony Blair's Big Conversation with voters in 2003. It was a conversation that never really happened, and the website was censored to the point that many contributors felt they had basically seen their questions re-written.
Six months after the invasion of Iraq, the many people who tried to mention the war during this Big Conversation were edited out of it. It was just another PR stunt aimed at pretending the government was listening.

Corbyn is actually having a big conversation on the ground. I do not necessarily agree with some of what he says; I do not necessarily think that he would make the best PM if he ever gets that far. However, I do think that his ideas on what an opposition should look like, what a united opposition could sound like, and his stated intention to make any cabinet he leads inclusive - and, for once, with posts including his up for re-election on a regular basis - he is putting the other candidates to shame, especially Cooper and Kendall who have behaved like children.

Maybe some of the younger supporters might be a little naive - but many of us are not.
How would you feel if I called you reactionary? It wouldn't be quite true, would it?

I know a lot of people in Labour locally, others still working in the NHS and public services, a few in the disability protest movement - all of whom are going to vote for Corbyn. They are far from naive, but like me, want to see a change in the direction our country's politics is taking.
HindleA is right when he suggests that people will vote for the candidate who is most likely - well, promises at least - to give them what they want; but for some of us, a balance has to be struck between that and the direction of travel we want to see generally.

Hugo - you have opined here and elsewhere that Labour lost the election because they had, in Miliband, a useless leader. I think it is vastly more complicated than that; and I have yet to see a real in-depth analysis of what went wrong. It wasn't all about the Scots, it wasn't all about Tory propaganda in the press; it wasn't all about Ed either.

There is no Corbyn love-fest going on. He is getting support because he's different. People aren't totally blinded by his charm or whatever it is - they want to hear what he has to say, and the standing room only wherever he speaks suggests they are liking what they're hearing.

You, of course, don't have to. What you also don't have to do is be so rude.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

SpinningHugo wrote: It isn't a tax break.

Not quite - didn't I explain this before? It's all to do with timing...

Purchase of plant and machinery helps business by being able to write off the value of that purchase for tax purposes more quickly than it would appear from the asset itself i.e. for tax purposes it's (IIRC and it's been a while) 25% of its written down value, and for 'book purposes' its almost certainly straight line.

So, there's a cash advantage in that tax payments are reduced in the early years which are then reversed in later years. Of course, if you're constantly purchasing new plant & machinery as most businesses do, then effectively that cash advantage is ongoing.

The big question is that if it's not encouraging businesses to invest, why should we bother? Simply let the profit that appears in the accounts be the same for tax purposes and have companies pay tax on that.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Ephemerix
I am reactionary.

I want to go back to the moderate sensible economic policies that characterised the Labour government from 1997 onwards Domestically, that was a great period. They got some things wrong (bank regulation) but fiscal and monetary policy were great (as were other things like immigration policy, fiscal tranfers to the poorest, education and health policies). Everything since has gone backwards in these areas.

So yes, quite happy to be called a reactionary. I'd take Blair and Brown back in government.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: It isn't a tax break.

Not quite - didn't I explain this before? It's all to do with timing...

Purchase of plant and machinery helps business by being able to write off the value of that purchase for tax purposes more quickly than it would appear from the asset itself i.e. for tax purposes it's (IIRC and it's been a while) 25% of its written down value, and for 'book purposes' its almost certainly straight line.

So, there's a cash advantage in that tax payments are reduced in the early years which are then reversed in later years. Of course, if you're constantly purchasing new plant & machinery as most businesses do, then effectively that cash advantage is ongoing.

The big question is that if it's not encouraging businesses to invest, why should we bother? Simply let the profit that appears in the accounts be the same for tax purposes and have companies pay tax on that.
True, and I accept all that, but the £44bn figure included all capital depreciation didn't it, not just the advantage of treatment over book?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

SpinningHugo wrote:Ephemerix
I am reactionary.

I want to go back to the moderate sensible economic policies that characterised the Labour government from 1997 onwards Domestically, that was a great period. They got some things wrong (bank regulation) but fiscal and monetary policy were great (as were other things like immigration policy, fiscal tranfers to the poorest, education and health policies). Everything since has gone backwards in these areas.

So yes, quite happy to be called a reactionary. I'd take Blair and Brown back in government.

Good for you.

I wouldn't, not now.

This is what I feel - https://sturdyblog.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... y-lefties/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by refitman on Sun 02 Aug, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: made link clickable
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Press manipulation on a grand scale...
"Hundreds of migrants who have smuggled themselves into Britain from Calais are being put up in hotels at taxpayers’ expense.”

“Serco said last night that it was housing 100 asylum seekers in hotels but insisted it did not cost taxpayers extra as the money comes out of the general funds it receives from the Home Office.”

http://leftfootforward.org/2015/08/mail ... -disgrace/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ephemerid wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Ephemerix
I am reactionary.

Good for you.

I wouldn't, not now.

This is what I feel - sturdyblog.wordpress.com/2015/08/02/on-labour-being-taken-over-by-lefties/
Thanks for the link to the blog piece by Sturdy Alex ... he starts with saying how much abuse he is copping for saying he supports Corbyn. I accept that's happening - trouble is people who support the other candidates are also copping a load of abuse. I see some of the stuff aimed at Kendall supporters and it's not worthy of Labour people ... and then I see stuff lambasting Burnham and Cooper for their piggy in the middleism and that's not nice either. It's like a nasty bun fight and won't get us anywhere.

The element of Corbyn's 'surge' that scares me is nothing to do with Corbyn himself or his popularity and so called entryism ... it's that it has shown up a pretty huge chasm between the people with most power in the PLP and the most active of the membership. How could this group of people have got so far away from the views of many of the membership? Had we not had the push to get him nominated we would have continued on with the PLP and the membership operating on parallel lines - not really touching - which would be getting ever more divergent. This is a messy and uncertain situation - but it's better than the stale, disconnected contest and curling up aftermath we could have had otherwise.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:OK, Hugo, it's obvious to me that you don't like Corbyn or what he stands for.

It's obvious you think "he appeals to the naive young". Like me, aged 59.

As was your habit elsewhere, you pickily patronise to the point all discussion is a waste of time.

People are not a stupid as you think they are ("naive young", indeed) and you are not as clever and/or reasonable as you think you are.

I can't be bothered to argue with you. OneButtonMonkey's much better at it than I am.

I want change, I want hope, and I want a bit of hope for change. None of the other candidates are offering that. Corbyn is.

I remember Tony Blair's Big Conversation with voters in 2003. It was a conversation that never really happened, and the website was censored to the point that many contributors felt they had basically seen their questions re-written.
Six months after the invasion of Iraq, the many people who tried to mention the war during this Big Conversation were edited out of it. It was just another PR stunt aimed at pretending the government was listening.

Corbyn is actually having a big conversation on the ground. I do not necessarily agree with some of what he says; I do not necessarily think that he would make the best PM if he ever gets that far. However, I do think that his ideas on what an opposition should look like, what a united opposition could sound like, and his stated intention to make any cabinet he leads inclusive - and, for once, with posts including his up for re-election on a regular basis - he is putting the other candidates to shame, especially Cooper and Kendall who have behaved like children.

Maybe some of the younger supporters might be a little naive - but many of us are not.
How would you feel if I called you reactionary? It wouldn't be quite true, would it?

I know a lot of people in Labour locally, others still working in the NHS and public services, a few in the disability protest movement - all of whom are going to vote for Corbyn. They are far from naive, but like me, want to see a change in the direction our country's politics is taking.
HindleA is right when he suggests that people will vote for the candidate who is most likely - well, promises at least - to give them what they want; but for some of us, a balance has to be struck between that and the direction of travel we want to see generally.

Hugo - you have opined here and elsewhere that Labour lost the election because they had, in Miliband, a useless leader. I think it is vastly more complicated than that; and I have yet to see a real in-depth analysis of what went wrong. It wasn't all about the Scots, it wasn't all about Tory propaganda in the press; it wasn't all about Ed either.

There is no Corbyn love-fest going on. He is getting support because he's different. People aren't totally blinded by his charm or whatever it is - they want to hear what he has to say, and the standing room only wherever he speaks suggests they are liking what they're hearing.

You, of course, don't have to. What you also don't have to do is be so rude.
We need rule of law for society to function for the good of all. We need to toe the line for much of our lives and the one thing I've learnt from my 71 years is that compromise plays the biggest part in pretty much all we do whether it's family or work.

But society isn't functioning is it - and we have a government who don't know what the word compromise means.
Time I think to start hauling those who rule us over the coals. Time for a shake up. A big one.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Prescott ‏@johnprescott 44m44 minutes ago
Ta-ra chuck. #RIPCilla
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Only the other week I heard Cilla say vehemently that she didn't want to live beyond 76?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Lending my temporary support to cast a vote for Corbyn.
ScreenShot00594.jpg
ScreenShot00594.jpg (146.65 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TobyLatimer wrote:Lending my temporary support to cast a vote for Corbyn.
ScreenShot00594.jpg
Well done :D

What a pleasure to see your name on the thread...Hope you're keeping well.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

I have being reading and digesting the interesting and (mainly) thoughtful posts over the past few days on the leadership issue.

Would you allow me the following observations.

Firstly, I have the utmost regard for Ed Miliband and think his actions since the debacle in May confirm my thoughts of his basic decency.

If on reflection if I have a criticism of his time as leader it is on a subject that actually I regarded as one of his strengths previously. We are currently, rightly, having a discussion on the direction of the party. I felt it was to his credit that following 2010 it was a real achievement to avoid the sort of negative blame culture that tends to follow defeat. I do however now believe it would have been better to have the sort of discussion we are having then rather than now. I think we would been in a better place even if we had still been defeated in 2015.

The caveat I would register here is perhaps he felt the need to accommodate some of the more "conventional thinkers" initially as he felt the need to compromise in his early years as leader precisely to avoid such a split and waste precious time and energy. Reading the sort of self serving articles such as the one of recent days from Ed Balls ( I will accept responsibility but it was all Ed Ms fault!) and the suspicion that some of those that are now leadership candidates were preparing their campaigns and were demonstrably quiet during the election leads me to conclude that he was on a hiding to nothing from the start. The sort of rhetoric from those candidates that says I will not leave the party and will do everything I can to help but I will not serve in a Corbyn shadow cabinet only confirms my thought process. If that was the case then may be his judgement then may have been different.

We are however where we are and we must reflect on todays situation.

Why is Corbyn doing so well? Frankly I think once he got on the ballot paper he was pushing at an open door. I say this for two reasons (in no particular order)

Firstly the paucity of any real quality from the other candidates. Most of what I heard from them was a repudiation of the previous five years but very little in the of anything to enthuse in the way of policy or even a convincing argument as to how they would present an effective opposition to an (less we all forget) unloved government. The electorate want enthusiasm, noisy and banging of the table opposition holding government to account (and there is plenty of opportunity here) rather than the sort of wishy-washy well we disagree a bit opposition we have seen recently.

Secondly what he is offering is something different and some hope to those people that have been side-lined over the past few years and are now seeing someone who is prepared to fight their corner. It is not the conventional acceptance of most political parties,MSM and the establishment of the austerity culture that benefits the minority of the population (most of whom vote) at the expense of the majority.

Will Jeremy win? I don't know. If he did will it be a good thing? Again I don't know.

What I do know is that he has brought a breath of fresh air to an election that would have died on its feet. Can anyone imagine this election without Corbyn?

Lastly please those of you who patronise the Corbyn surge as only young people who know no better. I have yet to decide who to vote for but still may vote Corbyn.I am not some looney lefty teenager. I am 67 years of age and was a director of a multi national company until my retirement.

If Corbyn can appeal both to me and young people he must be doing something right even if its only to force us have a serious discussion on the party direction!