Monday 3rd August 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 3rd August 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Re: Monday 3rd August 2015

Post by utopiandreams »

@HindleA

Regarding the missing ESA sanctions or related info as you pointed out, perhaps I was nearer the mark than first suspected; undergoing 'quality assurance' seems equally applicable to propagandist leaflets as misrepresentative figures. Looking at the withdrawn leaflet reminds me of testimonials for How to Corp and of course a past Chairman of the Conservative Party,which brings into question Tory views and Cameron's own judgement. 'And lest we forget, http://www.howtocorp.org/video.htm in which Michael Green proffers his 2020 Challenge. Maybe not the one we have in mind today but it still raised a smile.

Anyway I probably shan't dig out an old computer on which I had details of an internet (and telephone) scam artist. I sometimes wonder whether Sebastian Fox had another alter ego going by the name of Jason, Justin or Julian but I never actually met him face to face. Mmm maybe I shall when it comes to finally disposing of it, we'll see.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Excuse my bad manners, but Good Morning.

Anyway while in reminiscent mood, I'll repeat something I posted at the end of the weekend forum. I ought to add RIP Cilla but I never met her...

Having just heard the Blue Angel club given a shout in the news, I'm half expecting to hear of 'The Man Who Gave Cilla Away', assuming he's still with us. No worries if you know not of what I speak, but one or two of you may just remember my account of ''The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away'.

I still miss my Liverpool days, most likely because I was still young back then.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Dave takes his fish pointing hobby to a completely new level
CLbDl5jXAAAkL09.jpg
CLbDl5jXAAAkL09.jpg (86.88 KiB) Viewed 7956 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Hell Toby ... you're straight back with a right breakfast churner! :lol:

Welcome.
Working on the wild side.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@TobyLatimer

Why does, 'Stick it in your family album' come to mind?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Hell Toby ... you're straight back with a right breakfast churner! :lol:

Welcome.
Thankyou, :) (& Lady C, Ohso et al) thought the old place could do with a bit of light relief to balance the debating chamber ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Analysing the balance of our Jeremy Corbyn coverage
Chris Elliott
A sense that the Guardian has been unfairly dismissive about Corbyn’s Labour party leadership candidacy has generated powerful feelings among some readers
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... n-coverage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

While still in reminiscent mood I have a tale from my first week in Liverpool. Back in the days of disgusting habits such as putting nasal discharges in one's pocket, I'd arrived at uni with no handkerchieves so went down to Woollies on Church Street. As I got nearer the crowds got thicker and thicker and it was a weekday iirc. I finally worked my way to a side entrance but it was locked, yet I could see members of staff milling about inside. On and on I pushed toward the main entrance where my path was blocked by a cortège of coppers holding us back just at the moment that the gathered crowds let out a tumultuous roar.

Ken Dodd was stepping out of a motor having arrived to officially open the store. I felt suitably embarrassed for forcing my way to the front on such an occasion quickly followed by consoling myself in present company.

Edit: finally corrected the plural of handkerchief.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Mon 03 Aug, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://labourlist.org/2015/08/andy-burn ... unal-fees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy Burnham will commit to reverse the declining access to legal advice for the low paid by reviewing legal aid and scrapping employment tribunal fees.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Analysing the balance of our Jeremy Corbyn coverage
Chris Elliott
A sense that the Guardian has been unfairly dismissive about Corbyn’s Labour party leadership candidacy has generated powerful feelings among some readers
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... n-coverage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The worst thing about the anti-JC barrage in the Graun (and indeed elsewhere) is that the actually convincing arguments against his getting the gig rarely get an airing.

Much of it doesn't go above alternately trying to scare people witless, and then telling them they are stupid if they don't agree :roll:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... ad-or-fail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now I would be the last to say we should model our fiscal arrangements on Apple nor am I suggesting we announce spending plans for some political iWatch or indeed commit to a continual deficit – as Cruddas and Glasman recently emphasised there is nothing progressive about being in hock. But I do believe economic policy should have some basis in fact. Osborne’s ‘all borrowing is bad’ does not. I’m not the only one who thinks so – 77 of the world’s best known economists condemned Osborne’s proposals. Andy Burnham called our party too timid and I fear if we cannot call out the Tories on their economic dogma we are. It’s not prudence it’s ideological rigidity.
Corbyn is popular with those who never bought into austerity, but is he capable of re-educating those who did? Are any of the leadership contenders? How do you fight the constant drip, drip propaganda of the right wing press that allow Osborne's false economics go unchallenged? That convince natural Labour voters that the enemy isn't the Tory government, but ill people on benefits and immigrants? It's a big task, whoever gets the gig.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well, the next leader could start by trying to nail once and for all the "Labour caused the global crash" bollix. Its not too late for that, even now.......

Not to mention the meme that arguably helps the Tories more than any other - the idea that government expenditure works in the same way as that of a household (Osborne knows that is rubbish, of course - but that doesn't stop him with his utterly cynical "legislate for a government surplus" total economic illiteracy; btw Kendall going along with that was arguably the lowest point of her whole wretched campaign and alone proves her total unfitness to lead Labour)
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good morning everyone

First of all I would like to apologise for my sulky rant and throwing of toys out of my pram, coupled with taking my bat and ball home! Especially to Tubby Isaacs who got a bit of the incoming, unfairly I may add.

I have come back because I am an addict to politics and I am desperate to contribute what I can to the journey of getting rid of the most incompetnent and dishonest government in my memory

On Corbyn, I think I would like to say the following

He is not someone I would want to really lead Labour if I had my choice but there is such a paucity of talent coming through at the moment that is ready for the battle needed. He does, however, provide a catalyst to the party needing to reset and discover an alternative to the Blair years

Blair was elected on a more left wing platform than he preaches now and he also took over in a time of plenty for Labour. His move to the right was accompanied by a loss of votes, and even now he is is a turn off to many of Labour's natural voters - mainly over Iraq.

This is a battle that should have been fought post 2010 and possibly the temptation of the 2015 election after 5 years of coalition was too much of a carrot for the blood-letting to begin. Miliband did a great job in tiptoeing along the tightrope but his attacks from the ex-Blairites undermined him and the lack of a clear message to counter austerity hindered him

I do not absolve him but I do not think much else could have been done without the same argument we are having now - what is the future direction of Labour

Burnham and Cooper are still trying to triangulate (Kendall is a lost cause in my opinion) when I wish they would just say what they think.....ignore the media, they hate us anyway so just speak directly to the people

Corbyn is not the saviour of all but at least he has forced a debate on what Labour should be about - the hollow moaning of the Blairites is laughable - they have had nothing positive to say about anything apart from trying to ape the Tories - and that is not what the supporters and members want want them to do
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

This debate is happening in almost exactly the same terms on the left in the USA. Of course the Democrats are seeking to replace their president, and are not coming from a losing position, but the debate has almost exactly the same tone as the one we are having.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1251490632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not so much about Labour losing the UK election, as a zeitgeist shift in the advanced capitalist countries.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

mikems wrote:This debate is happening in almost exactly the same terms on the left in the USA. Of course the Democrats are seeking to replace their president, and are not coming from a losing position, but the debate has almost exactly the same tone as the one we are having.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1251490632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not so much about Labour losing the UK election, as a zeitgeist shift in the advanced capitalist countries.
Blair had 13 years to bring in public party funding, to bring in an elected upper chamber, to reform the City of London, get rid of anachronisms like the Remembrancer, reduce the role (and cost) of the monarchy and reform the press to limit foreign ownership and promote plurality.

By leaving the establishment intact, he ultimately achieved nothing. If the Tories re-introduce fox-hunting it will be as though he had never been. Not much of a legacy, is it? The establishment closed ranks against Miliband because he threatened their hegemony. I'm still bitterly disappointed so few of the electorate recognised the potential of a Labour PM unbeholden to Murdoch and the wealthy elite. I still can't believe people chose Tory armageddon. All this government offers is unwanton waste and distruction.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

The Corbyn bashing goes on relentlessly. I'm not a member and I don't have a vote but I see Corbyn as the least bad option. He'll be an easy target for the press but whoever gets picked will be mullered anyway. :fire:
Meanwhile, in the Torygraph, Boris is still banging on about his stupid bloody island airport. :toss:
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Reading and West Berkshire councils celebrate affordable housing court victory

A joint effort has led to victory over the Government over plans to scrap section 106 payments and affordable housing in small developments.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... te-9776668
I wonder how long it'll take government to alter or subvert this decision.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Under the 13 years of the last Labour government I lived a happy, secure, reasonably prosperous life. Long term prospects for my child and grandchildren looked good.
Before Labour life was pretty much as it is today, scrimping, make-do-and-mend, and shuffling through day-by-day. Holiday entitlement was arbitrary and down to your employers goodness of heart, and if they didn't like you they could sack you fairly easily. There was no minimum wage. Schools were falling down and hospitals were a disgrace with leaking buildings and waiting list as long as your arm. Slum landlords ruled the roost renting out rooms not fit for habitation. Disability Rights were almost none existent. Ireland was all but a war zone.
Please don't dismiss out of hand what was achieved under Labour.
The full extent of Labour achievement is here.

https://kittysjones.wordpress.com/2013/ ... we-forget/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These were achieved by "Blairites" - yes they could perhaps have done more, but 18 years of tory rule left them with a very low starting point just to bring day to day life to a liveable level.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Some pieces on Corbynomics for those wondering if there is anything to it

http://coppolacomment.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... se-to.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://waitingfortax.com/2015/07/28/the ... e-welfare/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Short answer is no, of course not.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Under the 13 years of the last Labour government I lived a happy, secure, reasonably prosperous life. Long term prospects for my child and grandchildren looked good.
Before Labour life was pretty much as it is today, scrimping, make-do-and-mend, and shuffling through day-by-day. Holiday entitlement was arbitrary and down to your employers goodness of heart, and if they didn't like you they could sack you fairly easily. There was no minimum wage. Schools were falling down and hospitals were a disgrace with leaking buildings and waiting list as long as your arm. Slum landlords ruled the roost renting out rooms not fit for habitation. Disability Rights were almost none existent. Ireland was all but a war zone.
Please don't dismiss out of hand what was achieved under Labour.
The full extent of Labour achievement is here.

https://kittysjones.wordpress.com/2013/ ... we-forget/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These were achieved by "Blairites" - yes they could perhaps have done more, but 18 years of tory rule left them with a very low starting point just to bring day to day life to a liveable level.
Thanks for the reminder. And you're right, of course. I'm just angry at the ease with which everything Labour achieved has been undone. We're going backwards at an alarming rate and moderate Tory MPs and the Lords are the only things holding the country back from the brink. I have to remind myself that despite the rash of policies announced, Cameron's small majority government hasn't actually got much of note through, as yet. And if Labour can get a London mayor elected they could be a real pain in the Tories' side. Just worried Labour hasn't hit rock bottom re the Scottish and Welsh assemblies yet or that the Tories might pick Zac Goldsmith as their mayoral candidate....
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sir Edward Heath named in child sex abuse investigation

Wiltshire Police appeals for anyone who believes they may have been victim of former Prime Minister as IPCC announces inquiry into handling of claims
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Goldsmith is beatable, but Labour have to pick the right opponent.

I can think of one of the prospective candidates who will never be suitable in a million years :twisted:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

DAVID Cameron is "unsure, inexperienced" and won't be able to keep Britain in the European Union, a senior advisor warned US presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.

The scathing assessment came from Sidney Blumenthal in 2009 in an email sent in a private system used by Mrs Clinton when she was US secretary of state.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/595 ... is-Johnson
:rock:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

From I am my brothers' keeper I will not walk on the other side to the pursuance of targets and a kick in the nethers posited as fairness,either directly by State but increasingly via intermediaries who if they don't comply with alacrity with this responsibilty will face punishment themselves.

2003 You become disabled/ ill,necessitating the giving up employment for self and reduction in hours for partner.
You remain in own home ,a tight budget but knowing support is eventually available should the situation remain in order to adapt your home and adapt in general to that situation.Sensible arrangements have been made according to evidence both in economic,health and human terms;built up over decades.

You are befuddled what the hell to do.Support is uncertain,temporary at best,you will be charged with interest plus admin charges,except you have agreed not to move to get a grant to adapt the property.If you do move,there is a waiting list for suitable properties and not in the area where your partner works,and miles from your doctor of ten years and support network.You may need dialysis soon,will you have to ask not to incur penalisation for the necessary room deemed spare.Such a move incurs a vast increase in State expenditure,much stress,and most likely a gap in employment.Policies based against best evidence,political machinations and hate filled rhetoric.

That's the difference.
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 03 Aug, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stagger Lee
Backbencher

Post by Stagger Lee »

AngryAsWell wrote:Sir Edward Heath named in child sex abuse investigation

Wiltshire Police appeals for anyone who believes they may have been victim of former Prime Minister as IPCC announces inquiry into handling of claims
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Odds on this story being quickly and quietly forgotten about?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Welcome Stagger Lee
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Stagger Lee wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Sir Edward Heath named in child sex abuse investigation

Odds on this story being quickly and quietly forgotten about?
Welcome & high :)
Stagger Lee
Backbencher

Post by Stagger Lee »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Welcome & high :)
How did you know 8-)

Welcome all. I have finally called it quits with The Guardian. I was only ever an occasional poster but the level of discussion has been driven in to the floor by the trolls so I just can't be bothered any more.

Hopefully I can contribute a bit here.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Keir Starmer ‏@Keir_Starmer · 1h1 hour ago
After years of good work to abolish the death penalty, this is a retrograde step by the FCO http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/fo ... 34457.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Stagger Lee
Backbencher

Post by Stagger Lee »

It strikes me that this government are doing their best to make any statement about policy or aims are made as loose and open to interpretation as possible. This then gives them the chance to change their mind as often as they want and claim that the new interpretation was what they always meant.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AngryAsWell wrote:Keir Starmer ‏@Keir_Starmer · 1h1 hour ago
After years of good work to abolish the death penalty, this is a retrograde step by the FCO http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/fo ... 34457.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
So who is it that they don't want to upset - China, Saudi, Iran?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

They want to bring back hanging here, I expect. All part of their 'vision' for UK: Victorian squalor and barbarism.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

mikems wrote:They want to bring back hanging here, I expect. All part of their 'vision' for UK: Victorian squalor and barbarism.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/05 ... 55322.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

My banana tree is in blossom :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Keir Starmer ‏@Keir_Starmer · 1h1 hour ago
So who is it that they don't want to upset - China, Saudi, Iran?
Mind you. If we applied the same standards of punishment over here. Think how many MPs would be walking around handless. Or given the cover up on child abuse, minus other body parts.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Or even bankers facing the firing squad.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

RogerOThornhill wrote:... So who is it that they don't want to upset - China, Saudi, Iran?
Well there's always the export of execution drugs to America, Roger, now that Europeans have stopped supply, notwithstanding mikems' observation.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:Some pieces on Corbynomics for those wondering if there is anything to it

http://coppolacomment.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... se-to.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://waitingfortax.com/2015/07/28/the ... e-welfare/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Short answer is no, of course not.
Thanks.

I only really understood the second one, and it confirmed our suspicions as discussed. He doesn't seem to have done any work at all. Just seized a big number.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

AngryAsWell wrote:
mikems wrote:They want to bring back hanging here, I expect. All part of their 'vision' for UK: Victorian squalor and barbarism.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/05 ... 55322.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Priti Patel is a nasty piece of work, isn't she, AAW? But there's also this from Gove in your linked article. Yeah, yeah, I believe you Michael, many wouldn't.
He wrote: "Hanging may seem barbarous, but the greater barbarity lies in the slow abandonment of our common law traditions. Were I ever alone in the dock I would not want to be arraigned before our flawed tribunals, knowing my freedom could be forfeit as a result of political pressures. I would prefer a fair trial, under the shadow of the noose."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It is as certain as anything can be that any vote to restore capital punishment would never pass in the HoC on a free vote.

And that's even leaving aside how we are signed up to its abolition through our membership of more than one supranational institution.

There are plenty of things we should be worrying about right now, but not that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Good morning everyone

First of all I would like to apologise for my sulky rant and throwing of toys out of my pram, coupled with taking my bat and ball home! Especially to Tubby Isaacs who got a bit of the incoming, unfairly I may add.

I have come back because I am an addict to politics and I am desperate to contribute what I can to the journey of getting rid of the most incompetnent and dishonest government in my memory

On Corbyn, I think I would like to say the following

He is not someone I would want to really lead Labour if I had my choice but there is such a paucity of talent coming through at the moment that is ready for the battle needed. He does, however, provide a catalyst to the party needing to reset and discover an alternative to the Blair years

Blair was elected on a more left wing platform than he preaches now and he also took over in a time of plenty for Labour. His move to the right was accompanied by a loss of votes, and even now he is is a turn off to many of Labour's natural voters - mainly over Iraq.

This is a battle that should have been fought post 2010 and possibly the temptation of the 2015 election after 5 years of coalition was too much of a carrot for the blood-letting to begin. Miliband did a great job in tiptoeing along the tightrope but his attacks from the ex-Blairites undermined him and the lack of a clear message to counter austerity hindered him

I do not absolve him but I do not think much else could have been done without the same argument we are having now - what is the future direction of Labour

Burnham and Cooper are still trying to triangulate (Kendall is a lost cause in my opinion) when I wish they would just say what they think.....ignore the media, they hate us anyway so just speak directly to the people

Corbyn is not the saviour of all but at least he has forced a debate on what Labour should be about - the hollow moaning of the Blairites is laughable - they have had nothing positive to say about anything apart from trying to ape the Tories - and that is not what the supporters and members want want them to do
No problem at all, an good to see you back.

Agree about Corbyn having been good in the leadership election. Think Burnham and Cooper are trying to get elected by not making mistakes. One of them probably will be, but both ought to be more positive.

Kendall is dreadful.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Looking at Corbyn in the New Statesman. Says Greece being destroyed by "unaccountable forces".

It'll be news to Angela Merkel that she's unaccountable.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:My banana tree is in blossom :D
You have a banana tree? Criminy! Pics please :rock:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

@howsillyofme1: I'm glad you've decided to stay :D
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

ohsocynical wrote:My banana tree is in blossom :D
The ewe barks at midnight and my escutcheon is well-found.

I luuuuve secret societies ;)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... -landlords" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Evidence emerges that scheme requiring private landlords not to rent to illegal immigrants may be affecting British citizens
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... -landlords

Evidence emerges that scheme requiring private landlords not to rent to illegal immigrants may be affecting British citizens
I actually emailed Dave when he first proposed the like. True I was a little facetious but my arguments still merited a reply. I didn't get one of course. I'll follow your link now, HindleA, or should I shorten that to A?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Former #UBS & Citi trader Tom Hayes gets 14 years in jail for conspiracy to defraud

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33763628
It would be nice to think the above means a change in our financial industry. But somehow I don't think it will.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Reading and West Berkshire councils celebrate affordable housing court victory

A joint effort has led to victory over the Government over plans to scrap section 106 payments and affordable housing in small developments.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... te-9776668
I wonder how long it'll take government to alter or subvert this decision.
That's a great story Ohso. It's a Tory council and a Labour council acting together to challenge the government and succeeding. Because it's a challenge by Tory councils (there are many who have made their concern about the changes to section 106 regulations and the impact on their ability to fund and provide housing) I think Cameron will have to think very hard and carefully before trying to subvert the decision.

We have reached a stage with the Tories scrapping of regulation to appease their business and developer friends along with savage cuts to local authorities where their own councils are having to behave in ways they don't want to ... and they are making waves about it. Good.