Monday 3rd August 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 3rd August 2015

Post by ohsocynical »

LadyCentauria wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:My banana tree is in blossom :D
You have a banana tree? Criminy! Pics please :rock:
I have to get Mr Ohso out the garden with his iPad and then transfer to this computer. That'll be fun! :roll: :lol:
The blossom is minute. But with huge fruit buds....

I actually have four trees now. The original one seemed to like where I planted it aound ten years ago and sends up baby trees every year. I give the new shoots away because once it gains a foothold the plant is extremely strong. One has grown around a paving slab and has it in a death grip.
All I need is for a restaurant to buy the nice new leaves and I'd be quids in.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Utopiandreams

Whatever you wish,I am easy or so I have been told.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Or even bankers facing the firing squad.
:lol: There's something about this post in combination with your sign off that strikes me as very funny Ohso ...

Spread love ... indeed
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Or even bankers facing the firing squad.
:lol: There's something about this post in combination with your sign off that strikes me as very funny Ohso ...

Spread love ... indeed
:lol: :lol: :lol:
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

Afternoon all.

I've been ridiculously busy at work today so haven't stopped by. Just thought I'd mention that Jeremy Corbyn's launching his North of England consultation tomorrow and I should be there. If i get a chance, I'll let you know how it went (a non-journalese account of any of the campaigns might be interesting).

I see there's no let-up in the appeals to consequence and lack of any argument against Corbyn's popularity over in The Other Place. If anything documents the bankruptcy and anachronistic vacuum of purpose of some of his opponents it's the lack of any message or reasonable argument. I'm interested in seeing if tomorrow's event lives up to the hope more than the new members' meeting I went to the other week.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:Afternoon all.

I've been ridiculously busy at work today so haven't stopped by. Just thought I'd mention that Jeremy Corbyn's launching his North of England consultation tomorrow and I should be there. If i get a chance, I'll let you know how it went (a non-journalese account of any of the campaigns might be interesting).

I see there's no let-up in the appeals to consequence and lack of any argument against Corbyn's popularity over in The Other Place. If anything documents the bankruptcy and anachronistic vacuum of purpose of some of his opponents it's the lack of any message or reasonable argument. I'm interested in seeing if tomorrow's event lives up to the hope more than the new members' meeting I went to the other week.
Jones has showed up and decided to write about critics of Corbyn being snarky rather than any problems with Corbyn's policies.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Reading and West Berkshire councils celebrate affordable housing court victory

A joint effort has led to victory over the Government over plans to scrap section 106 payments and affordable housing in small developments.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... te-9776668
I wonder how long it'll take government to alter or subvert this decision.
That's a great story Ohso. It's a Tory council and a Labour council acting together to challenge the government and succeeding. Because it's a challenge by Tory councils (there are many who have made their concern about the changes to section 106 regulations and the impact on their ability to fund and provide housing) I think Cameron will have to think very hard and carefully before trying to subvert the decision.

We have reached a stage with the Tories scrapping of regulation to appease their business and developer friends along with savage cuts to local authorities where their own councils are having to behave in ways they don't want to ... and they are making waves about it. Good.
Areas within commuting distance of London are beginning to feel the squeeze, prices are soaring with whole rows of new apartments being snapped up by BTL investors. God knows where the thousands of Reading residents who are dependent on lower rents will go if social housing dries up to any extent.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

@Ohso - and totally off topic.

Is Heelas still in Reading? I can't call it John Lewis somehow ... it will always be Heelas. Just like I imagine the Butts Centre will always live down to its name.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:@Ohso - and totally off topic.

Is Heelas still in Reading? I can't call it John Lewis somehow ... it will always be Heelas. Just like I imagine the Butts Centre will always live down to its name.
Yep. And still in the same place. Just a few weeks ago it was reported their sales figures weren't doing so good thanks to online sales.

I used to love their window displays...Never got closer than their windows though. Too pricey for me.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Chillaxing PM to MISS Cobra meeting as Calais battles with 2,500 migrants every night

AN emergency Cobra meeting will be held on the Calais crisis today but David Cameron will miss it as he relaxes on holiday with his family.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/595697 ... ng-holiday
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Just like I imagine the Butts Centre will always live down to its name.
Bloody hell, you have just catapulted me back to 1977/8 when I lived in Henley-on-Thames & the Butts Centre was fairly new & the nearest place for biggish shopping....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:
Chillaxing PM to MISS Cobra meeting as Calais battles with 2,500 migrants every night

AN emergency Cobra meeting will be held on the Calais crisis today but David Cameron will miss it as he relaxes on holiday with his family.

Not heard of Skype then?

Mind you, that might be a bit of a security risk...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
onebuttonmonkey wrote:Afternoon all.

Jones has showed up and decided to write about critics of Corbyn being snarky rather than any problems with Corbyn's policies.
I saw Owen's pice and took it to be an extension of the "it's Blairites that fail to understand Blair's original appeal" piece he did the other day. And his point wasn't whether or not there are any problems with Corbyn's position so much as the fundamental problem with his opponents' condemning everything without any substance or alternative. I replied to one of those "yes but he can't win because he can't win" comments that any mention of Corbyn produces, and I'll copy it here because, well, it's pretty much everything i have to say on that in fewer words than normal:

There's evidently a lot of people who want Labour to get back into office by becoming something worth voting for. Hence Corbyn and the reaction against the "we have to win because we have to win" vacuity that has made Labour such an unappealing prospect.

If people who don't like Corbyn are right about how wrong Jeremy is, then it should be simple, shouldn't it? They could try, for example, winning the argument rather than making appeals to consequence that attempt to guilt people into voting differently. They could say what they're offering that is going to make Labour worth voting for that is so evidently more appealing than Corbyn. But they're not and it isn't working.

Many people want a change, something that looks different and offers hope. Not more of the same hollowness that has made so many people abandon Labour because Labour abandoned both style and content. Let's start with why Labour might be worth voting for and get to winning that way, eh?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Stagger Lee wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Welcome & high :)
How did you know 8-)

Welcome all. I have finally called it quits with The Guardian. I was only ever an occasional poster but the level of discussion has been driven in to the floor by the trolls so I just can't be bothered any more.

Hopefully I can contribute a bit here.
Welcome, Stagger Lee.
Good-evening, everyone.
I had some minor technical problems preventing me posting here & read a bit over on the G website for a day or so.
Stagger Lee speaks the truth.
Ranting, vile abuse below the line at the G.
I can't find decent posts from some long-time commentators I admire.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:To add another quote from the Owen Jones article OBM refers to above:
If those in the self-described “centre-left” offered a coherent, inspiring vision, the Corbyn phenomenon would never have happened. They have failed to develop one. If they want to regain momentum within their own party – let alone win over the country – they should sideline the voices of negativity and learn how to inspire people. And however much they resort to cod psychology or sneering about the Corbyn phenomenon, the truth remains: they made it possible.
Excellent quote. That's what has been and still is sadly lacking. And this at a time when Cameron and co are shovelling out doom, destruction and division as fast as they can - just today we've had reports of people who might possibly be immigrants (presumably that's on a face value judgement) being denied a tenancy by landlords, new powers for landlords to summarily evict failed asylum seekers at the same as those with children have their payments removed, the FCO giving up on trying to stop the death penalty as an aim - oh, and supermarkets and other big businesses could stop recruiting over 25s in order to avoid paying Osborne's so called new living wage.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Mon 03 Aug, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Three hours ago in the Financial Times.
August 3, 2015 5:25 pm
Sale of RBS stake marks start of the UK’s biggest privatisation

Chancellor George Osborne has kicked off Britain’s biggest ever privatisation by selling £2bn of shares in Royal Bank of Scotland at a loss to the taxpayer seven years after the bank was rescued with a record £45bn state bailout.

The sale marks a watershed moment for the UK banking system and a step back to normality for what was once the world’s biggest bank by assets but later became the UK’s most spectacular victim of the financial crisis.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8a09333a-39e3 ... d2152.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is "a step back to normality"? I write that as an aside - this is a big deal. Chancellor Osborne is concerned with one thing alone & that is being able to hold up some balance sheet & say, "Look what I've achieved here on this piece of paper...". That is all. Regular people lose.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:To add another quote from the Owen Jones article OBM refers to above:
If those in the self-described “centre-left” offered a coherent, inspiring vision, the Corbyn phenomenon would never have happened. They have failed to develop one. If they want to regain momentum within their own party – let alone win over the country – they should sideline the voices of negativity and learn how to inspire people. And however much they resort to cod psychology or sneering about the Corbyn phenomenon, the truth remains: they made it possible.
Excellent quote. That's what has been and still is sadly lacking. And this at a time when Cameron and co are shovelling out doom, destruction and division as fast as they can - just today we've had reports of people who might possibly be immigrants (presumably that's on a face value judgement) being denied a tenancy by landlords, new powers for landlords to summarily evict failed asylum seekers at the same as those with children have their payments removed, the FCO giving up on trying to stop the death penalty as an aim - oh, and supermarkets and other big businesses could stop recruiting over 25s in order to avoid paying Osborne's so called new living wage.
Verily, there's much making me weep.
Truth is getting hammered.
Lies are told & believed even when evidence demonstrating it's false is provided.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robin Brant retweeted
shaminder nahal ‏@shamindernahal 2h2 hours ago
Landlord Fergus Wilson tells #c4news he plans to stand as police and crime commissioner for Kent because immigration is such a big problem
Oh dearie me ... just what the already revered position of PCC needs. Fergus Wilson ... remember him? He's the mega buy to let landlord who announced he wouldn't rent to anyone on benefits - including if they were working and it was just housing benefit. And ... wait for it ... he preferred tenants who were immigrants because they usually weren't on benefits and were reliable with their payments.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and UBS are acting as the lead underwriters for the R.B.S. offering.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/busin ... stake.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Incredible.
The New York Times article is rather good for an overview, I think.
Let me know if you disagree - I need to know.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sarah Champion MP ‏@SarahChampionMP 31m31 minutes ago
I love the PANTS campaign! This helps prevent abuse! @NSPCC Underwear Rule helps keep children safe. #TalkPANTS & RT http://bit.ly/1gsjf24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Public Sector Efficiency Challenge

The government’s priority is to provide economic security for working families, and that
means finishing the job of repairing Britain’s finances. We will need your help to achieve
this and that is why we are writing to you today.

[text]

Thank you in advance for your contribution. Together we will deliver a stronger
economy for a country that lives within its means.

- George Osborne
3 August 2015

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... easury.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Sarah Champion MP ‏@SarahChampionMP 31m31 minutes ago
I love the PANTS campaign! This helps prevent abuse! @NSPCC Underwear Rule helps keep children safe. #TalkPANTS & RT http://bit.ly/1gsjf24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a simple way that parents can help keep children safe from sexual abuse – without using scary words or even mentioning sex.
Sexual abuse prevention without using "scary words or even mentioning sex"
No scary words
Don't mention sex
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:

The government’s priority is to provide economic security for working families, and that
means finishing the job of repairing Britain’s finances. We will need your help to achieve

[text]

- George Osborne
3 August 2015

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... easury.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm assuming a suggestion of "Stop paying academy chain CEOs upwards of 150k for managing fewer schools than the smallest LA" wouldn't go down very well...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Robin Brant retweeted
shaminder nahal ‏@shamindernahal 2h2 hours ago
Landlord Fergus Wilson tells #c4news he plans to stand as police and crime commissioner for Kent because immigration is such a big problem
Oh dearie me ... just what the already revered position of PCC needs. Fergus Wilson ... remember him? He's the mega buy to let landlord who announced he wouldn't rent to anyone on benefits - including if they were working and it was just housing benefit. And ... wait for it ... he preferred tenants who were immigrants because they usually weren't on benefits and were reliable with their payments.
The world has gone completely mad.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

[text]

- George Osborne
3 August 2015

I'm assuming a suggestion of "Stop paying academy chain CEOs upwards of 150k for managing fewer schools than the smallest LA" wouldn't go down very well...
HERETIC!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Here you go ... from just last year:
'Immigrants make better tenants because they work harder', says major landlord
Britain's best-known private landlords are asking tenants on benefit to find other accommodation, preferring immigrant tenants who 'work hard and can pay the rent'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/prop ... dlord.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Former maths teachers Judith and Fergus Wilson, who became "buy-to-let celebrities" before the financial crisis by amassing a portfolio of more than 1,000 properties, have written to tenants on benefits asking them to leave.
The pair, whose properties are in and around their home town of Ashford in Kent, have also said they will not accept new tenants receiving benefits. Around 200 of their properties are currently let to tenants receiving benefit.
The story was first reported in Guardian, which quoted Mr Wilson as saying "tenants on benefits are competing with Eastern Europeans who have built up a good enough credit record to rent privately."
But Judith Wilson, who works with her husband and also oversees the farm on which the couple the live, told the Telegraph: "We're seeing employers becoming more open about [preferring] immigrant workers and I think we have to be more realistic about this, and talk about attitude to work. The truth is immigrants don't mind hard work."...
Hypocrisy level alert, eh. I'm going to presume that Fergus Wilson is going to stand on the Ukip ticket for the Kent Police & Crime Commissioner election ... with his new found horror at the level of immigration. Anyone know otherwise?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Re Osborne's request for suggestions

Just had an e-mail from Unison,urging members to respond.

"Some of the ways we think the Chancellor could make savings are:
stop privatising public services: we'll get more for less if we're not paying out profit to business
cut the use of agency staff and consultants: their day rates are much higher than regular staff
stop reorganising public services, it wastes money: the reorganisation of the NHS cost us £3bn
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Man complains Windows 10 automatically created a slideshow of his stashed PORN pictures

A MAN was left red-faced after his family computer created a slideshow of his hidden porn images

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/sci ... ornography
:shock: :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:
Man complains Windows 10 automatically created a slideshow of his stashed PORN pictures

A MAN was left red-faced after his family computer created a slideshow of his hidden porn images

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Thank Gawd I didn't have any of those when I downloaded Win 10.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

This "they are all the same and saying nothing, apart from Corbyn", is total bobbins & bunkum.
Try listening to them, try reading the press reports & watching videos of hustings all 3 "other" candidate are saying different things.
AB's cracking speech I linked to the other day - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YC is talking climate change, building more “ecotowns” and developing carbon capture and storage to create up to 30,000 jobs, women’s equality & disability rights. (not necessarily in that order)
LK is talking early years intervention and re-booting sure start, amongst other things http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... ts-purpose" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

True, with our biased press/media you do have to look - but its all there on t'net to find, including videos.
What they are not doing is making grandiose policy statements with not a clue how to pay for them.
They will also all be issuing their manifestos sometime this week (or next).
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Not heard of Skype then?

Mind you, that might be a bit of a security risk...
Only if the US government listening in is an issue. Skype security is pretty strong for everybody except the American government.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love
cJA
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

YC is talking climate change, building more “ecotowns” and developing carbon capture
Carbon capture is already being bet on pretty heavily by the Government.

Would be interested to see what YC has to say.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2015/08/t ... s-edition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Something Must be Done Calais edition
Giles Peaker (Nearly Legal)

"At a time when housing law needs a serious reconsideration overall (and Scotland and Wales have gone some distance in that regard), I despair at this petty, pointless, vicious, knee-jerk pandering. This atrocious Something Must Be Done legerdemain. And we know there is more to come…"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
YC is talking climate change, building more “ecotowns” and developing carbon capture

If I find the link I grabbed that from I'll post it, I'm making short notes of interesting bits from all of them but sometimes forget to add the link (so I can go back to it).
The manifesto's will be out soon, probably before I find the quote :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

If I find the link I grabbed that from I'll post it, I'm making short notes of interesting bits from all of them but sometimes forget to add the link (so I can go back to it).
"Ms Cooper’s plan includes a wholesale review to ensure economic growth does not increase carbon emissions; encouraging local action to decarbonise in cities and towns; building more “ecotowns” and developing carbon capture and storage to create up to 30,000 jobs by 2030."
About 3/4 down

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 22279.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Night all
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Interesting about Kid's Company here.

http://www.theguardian.com/social-care- ... anghelidjh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Accuses Camilla B of being a pseudo-scientist, good at tapping corporate funds as an outsider (ie amateur). She got the Standard behind some "kids' services need redesigning" thing. It all ties in well with running down government.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Carbon capture is already being bet on pretty heavily by the Government.

"Ms Cooper’s plan includes a wholesale review to ensure economic growth does not increase carbon emissions; encouraging local action to decarbonise in cities and towns; building more “ecotowns” and developing carbon capture and storage to create up to 30,000 jobs by 2030."
About 3/4 down

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 22279.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Night all
Night, and thanks!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

One from Gove and the "gold standard" academic qualifications brigade.

https://www.tes.co.uk/news/school-news/ ... s-trainees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One of the world’s biggest accountancy firms is to scrap all academic and education details from its trainee application process.

Ernst & Young, one of the country’s largest graduate recruiters, will use applicants' performance in online tests to make decisions about who to interview for its trainee programme.

The company will no longer require applicants to its graduate programme to have a 2:1 degree and the equivalent of three Bs at A-level. Instead, it will use numerical tests and other online “strength” assessments to pick their trainees.

It follows a similar move by another accountancy firm PriceWaterhouseCoopers, which announced in May that is to drop A-level grades as a means of selecting graduates.

But Ernst & Young has gone further by removing the minimum requirement at degree level, stating that it found “no evidence” that university success correlated with future success in professional qualifications.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Heard tonight from a railway professional that the Great Western electrification is going incredibly badly. Reckons years and years behind and the government's likely to take fright with rail investment in the next round.