Weekend Edition - Saturday/Sunday 15th/16th August

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Weekend Edition - Saturday/Sunday 15th/16th August

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
Germany's hypocrisy over Greece water privatisation
Germany has been criticised for pushing Greece to sell off its water utilities when many of Europe’s largest cities, including Berlin, are buying back theirs

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable- ... are_btn_tw
So taking back control of utilities isn't entirely a pipe dream?
No, but lots of German cities are hugely indebted. including Berlin- over 60bn Euros.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
refitman wrote:I think we all need to be mindful of other people's feelings when posting. Please be aware that it is harder to get across meaning in the written word than spoken. As much as possible we should avoid pejorative language, including using "mad bastards" to describe sets of supporters.
Indeed, Refitman.

Which is why I and others have asked for us all to do that very thing several times.

If someone as prickly as me - and, dare I say, our friend yahyah (ducks) - have had to ask repeatedly, without naming names, for just that with no discernible result, then I hope you will forgive me pointing out to one of those guilty of much of it how much it grates.

yahyah - I have no intention of leaving. I just thought I might get the sack. Having been very (justifiably in my view) rude to Hugo.

Note to Hugo - I will not apologise. I meant every word of it.

OK, chaps - as you were.....
I saw nothing in Hugo's posts that justified your response. Hugo doesn't like Corbyn much and feels the need to point out Corbyn's downsides. I don't think he called anybody here mad, he was referring to a group of people identified by an opinion poll.

I can assure you he is not alone in the world in believing Labour has lost its collective marbles. My rather left wing friend used even more colourful language. So really he should be permitted to carry on expressing his opinions without being subjected to attack for expressing them.

One side in this debate is massively misreading public opinion, time will tell which one.
As refitman says, sometimes with the written word, it's harder to get across meaning. On forums we tend to perceive comments based not only on what the poster is or isn't saying in that post, but also on our experience of their previous postings. Sometimes things come across abrasive even if they aren't meant to be.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Just in case anybody's interested, GB's Charlotte Dujardin & Valegro successfully defended their European Individual Gold medal in Grand Prix Freestyle to music (Kür) this afternoon. Mistakes in the one-time changes and in the repeated attempt at them on a free line (Valegro rather leapt too fast into the canter both times - Charlotte says it's her fault) meant they got marked down there, although the rest of his test was good enough to mean they got first place with 89.054%, well down on their best so it was a heart-in-the-mouth moment until the scores were confirmed. Kristina Bröring-Sprehe & Desperados FRH, for Germany, were only a tadge behind on 88.804% to take the Silver; whilst Spain's Beatriz Ferrer-Salat & Delgado made a welcome return to top-level competition and the medals to take Bronze with 82.714%. Delgado has been out from the sport for just over three-years, following injuries and a long rehabilitation - such a beautiful horse and it was a sheer pleasure to see them back. Following Fiona Bigwood's withdrawal of Atterupgaards Orthilia because of the rib injuries she gave her rider, yesterday, Carl Hester & Nip Tuck were the only other British combination in today's final but Carl was delighted that his often-spooky horse behaved beautifully, worked well, and took them to 8th place on 79.571%.

GB remains at the top of the medals table with Charlotte's two Golds and the Team Silver, all from Dressage - sadly, the GB Eventing team didn't have the best of competitions and finished in 8th, with Francis Whittington & Easy Target only making it to 16th in the Individuals. In the Reining competitions, GB achieved very respectable 4th place (only 9 points outside the medals!) and Francesca Sternberg & Ten Reasons our highest placed pairing in the Individual Final. The European Championships continue on Wednesday with the start of the Driving and Showjumping competitions - to be joined on Thursday by the Vaulting competitions. The BBC will have coverage of the Showjumping from Thursday until Sunday; but if you want to catch the Driving and Vaulting - or catch up on the Dressage or Reining - you'll need to subscribe to FEITV at: http://www.feitv.org/
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Schofield ‏@schofieldkevin 29m29 minutes ago
Andy Burnham vows to give jobs to Jeremy Corbyn and other left-wingers if elected Labour leader https://www.politicshome.com/party-poli ... ted-leader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Working on the wild side.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

LadyCentauria wrote:Just in case anybody's interested, GB's Charlotte Dujardin & Valegro successfully defended their European Individual Gold medal in Grand Prix Freestyle to music (Kür) this afternoon. Mistakes in the one-time changes and in the repeated attempt at them on a free line (Valegro rather leapt too fast into the canter both times - Charlotte says it's her fault) meant they got marked down there, although the rest of his test was good enough to mean they got first place with 89.054%, well down on their best so it was a heart-in-the-mouth moment until the scores were confirmed. Kristina Bröring-Sprehe & Desperados FRH, for Germany, were only a tadge behind on 88.804% to take the Silver; whilst Spain's Beatriz Ferrer-Salat & Delgado made a welcome return to top-level competition and the medals to take Bronze with 82.714%. Delgado has been out from the sport for just over three-years, following injuries and a long rehabilitation - such a beautiful horse and it was a sheer pleasure to see them back. Following Fiona Bigwood's withdrawal of Atterupgaards Orthilia because of the rib injuries she gave her rider, yesterday, Carl Hester & Nip Tuck were the only other British combination in today's final but Carl was delighted that his often-spooky horse behaved beautifully, worked well, and took them to 8th place on 79.571%.

GB remains at the top of the medals table with Charlotte's two Golds and the Team Silver, all from Dressage - sadly, the GB Eventing team didn't have the best of competitions and finished in 8th, with Francis Whittington & Easy Target only making it to 16th in the Individuals. In the Reining competitions, GB achieved very respectable 4th place (only 9 points outside the medals!) and Francesca Sternberg & Ten Reasons our highest placed pairing in the Individual Final. The European Championships continue on Wednesday with the start of the Driving and Showjumping competitions - to be joined on Thursday by the Vaulting competitions. The BBC will have coverage of the Showjumping from Thursday until Sunday; but if you want to catch the Driving and Vaulting - or catch up on the Dressage or Reining - you'll need to subscribe to FEITV at: http://www.feitv.org/
Thanks Lady C I used to watch with my sister many years ago. I think maybe I'll try and at least catch the show jumping. Meanwhile I'm reduced to following the Murray vs Djokovic final on a blog because I won't pay the Murdoch shilling and subscribe to Sky.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tizme1 wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:Just in case anybody's interested, GB's Charlotte Dujardin & Valegro successfully defended their European Individual Gold medal in Grand Prix Freestyle to music (Kür) this afternoon. Mistakes in the one-time changes and in the repeated attempt at them on a free line (Valegro rather leapt too fast into the canter both times - Charlotte says it's her fault) meant they got marked down there, although the rest of his test was good enough to mean they got first place with 89.054%, well down on their best so it was a heart-in-the-mouth moment until the scores were confirmed. Kristina Bröring-Sprehe & Desperados FRH, for Germany, were only a tadge behind on 88.804% to take the Silver; whilst Spain's Beatriz Ferrer-Salat & Delgado made a welcome return to top-level competition and the medals to take Bronze with 82.714%. Delgado has been out from the sport for just over three-years, following injuries and a long rehabilitation - such a beautiful horse and it was a sheer pleasure to see them back. Following Fiona Bigwood's withdrawal of Atterupgaards Orthilia because of the rib injuries she gave her rider, yesterday, Carl Hester & Nip Tuck were the only other British combination in today's final but Carl was delighted that his often-spooky horse behaved beautifully, worked well, and took them to 8th place on 79.571%.

Thanks Lady C I used to watch with my sister many years ago. I think maybe I'll try and at least catch the show jumping. Meanwhile I'm reduced to following the Murray vs Djokovic final on a blog because I won't pay the Murdoch shilling and subscribe to Sky.
You're welcome. I refuse to pay that shilling, too, so miss a fair bit of sport (and some serials) I'd otherwise like to watch. Sometimes they re-play things on the Red Button but it depends on whether or not they're responsible for the event's coverage and/or on the sub-licences. Found a treat for you, though; the hour and a bit that went out on BBC ONE (last five riders including the two Brits and the other two medal-winners!) is available on BBC iPlayer, here - and it's more than two-and-a-half hours since the transmission ended so people don't need a TV licence to watch. Yippee! for @citizenJA and the other licence-free folk:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 5-dressage
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

:lol:

DfE taking the piss?

Surely not!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@RogerofThornhill

So state schools are a pull factor. Thank God we have our lords and masters to protect us from the invasion. So what else may be attractive ? Best get rid then!
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.