Monday 17th August 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 17th August 2015

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:A recent statement by the older Miliband on Twitter was - and I quote verbatim - "Labour needs new ideas, not old ones".

That was - quite literally - it.

But it was treated by many in the "bubble" as some amazingly profound and meaningful insight :roll: :D

I believe that was the thinking behind the Guardian re-vamp. Worked a treat for me.

Anyway, "new" doesn't necessarily = "good". What's wrong with "good"? Not shiny enough?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Using the logic of accusers of all but a few Labour MP's of "not voting against the( Removal of) Welfare and Work (even if you are not expected to )Bill" Corbyn voted against apprenticeships,the cur.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Interesting graphic from twitter:
Graph.png
Graph.png (74.49 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
Now if only we could have the same graph for the other 3 Labour leadership candidates and we might have some useful information - as it is, can this tell us anything more than that Labour are currently unpopular with the older generation? I thought the election had already firmly established that when older people voted in far greater numbers than the young and returned a Tory majority government.

Much as I support Andy Burnham, I almost want to see Jeremy Corbyn win, just to see how hysterical the response to a mildly left of centre politician can actually get. Unfortunately, I suspect the selective statistics and outright propaganda being lined up to trash him could be devastating for Labour. And I still think Burnham has better leadership qualities. Maybe if they team up with each other, whoever wins, they could really stick two fingers up at the right-wing press. I doubt the MSM would know what to do with a united Labour. It would seriously hack them off. It's been so obvious they've been trying to stir up a devastating split.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

pk1 wrote:FOAD, this is the 'exchange' (read from bottom up):
Thank you.

This is not a "row".

As you know, I have apologised for my error both here and elsewhere; I made a mistake, and I am sorry.

I also know that you have made it very clear in our exchange elsewhere that you are not coming back to FTN.
I really hope you change your mind. I know others miss you as I do.

This leadership contest is bringing out the very best and very worst of us all, and that is true of the party too.
I am aware that some who have left think this forum is too pro-Corbyn; there are others who have gone for opposite reason.

I have asked for us all to be more civil, and I have done my best to be so most of the time; normally I choose to ignore the more sarcastic and unhelpful posts here and elsewhere.
But if I feel - rightly or wrongly - that someone is being deliberately provocative, damning with faint praise, indulging in semantics to score a point, or generally just concern-trolling, I make no apology for calling them out on it.

If I am wrong I will apologise. As I have on the authorship of a very silly article.

Thank you for coming back to clarify. I wish you would stay.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

This made me chuckle:
Jon Stone ‏@joncstone 14m14 minutes ago
At this rate everyone voting for Liz Kendall will have written an article about it
I've filed the thoughts of David Miliband in the same arid, tumbleweed-addled cabinet as I keep a slender volume entitled "The Wit and Wisdom of Peter Mandelson." (It's a great read, that: every page just repeats the words: "this page was intentionally left blank.")
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Using the logic of accusers of all but a few Labour MP's of "not voting against the( Removal of) Welfare and Work (even if you are not expected to )Bill" Corbyn voted against apprenticeships,the cur.
And a rise in the minimum wage. Certainly not tax credit cuts, because Osborne didn't include them. Because Osborne isn't running a country, he's laying traps for Labour. Getting the far left to attack the centre-left, whilst the right gets away with blue murder, when no one's looking. If I ever thought it was accidental, the way the press started into Labour from the moment the Tories won the election and haven't stopped talking about them since, it is clear it is a well thought through strategy dreamed up between David Cameron and his corporate sponsors to keep the focus on "useless" Labour and ensuring no one notices the serial Tory government cock-ups and rip-offs.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Using the logic of accusers of all but a few Labour MP's of "not voting against the( Removal of) Welfare and Work (even if you are not expected to )Bill" Corbyn voted against apprenticeships,the cur.

This is the political genius of Osborne - or low cunning, that's what I calls it......

If you vote for the bill, you are supporting cuts to benefits and all manner of nastiness.
If you vote against the bill, you are against the nice bits in it. Such as they are.
Like 2 day apprenticeships in how to say "have a nice day", "enjoy!", etc.

If you abstain, you know it will all be slugged out in the horse-trading that goes on in committee - but you give the impression that actually you don't really care enough either way. Even though you, er, do.
Then you have to explain yourself, and having given the public the impression that you're sitting on the fence, you then have to convince them that actually you do care really and you'll fight to the death etc.etc.

Boot camp, anyone?
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://labourlist.org/2015/08/miliband- ... ory-state/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Miliband appears to share Kendall’s view that the Labour Party could face a potentially existential threat in the near future, suggesting the UK could turn into a one-party state

“Given the collapse of the Lib Dems, the stakes now are very high indeed, not just for Labour but for the country. Get it wrong, and Britain could become a multiparty democracy with only one party – the Conservative party – that can win parliamentary majorities. A one-governing-party state.”
I'm sticking to my former analysis that "technically" the norm of no party of government increasing their vote share remains intact. The current Tory government received less votes and gained fewer MPs than the former Coalition government. The chances of the Tories being able to gain a majority next time seem very slim, to me. Whether Labour recover or not, I still see the "not Tories" gaining a majority of MPs next time. There is nothing that suggests to me the country is becoming more conservative. We need a Labour leader that can build alliances with other left-wing parties. Liz Kendall is not that person. As others have said, the more I hear David Miliband, the more I feel Labour really did pick the "right" brother, after all.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolic ... nostalgia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

This stuff about "Tory traps" is fine as far as it goes, but doesn't take account of things like Harman deliberately trying to stitch up Burnham (that's gone well, eh?)

I would be less sure of that, btw, if she hadn't "justified" not voting against almost in the manner of some comic book villain ("these proposals are popular and the Tories won the election" - yes, that is almost LITERALLY what she said; what's the point of Labour even f***ing existing on that "reasoning"?) and heavily spun leaks of the SC discussions (again, designed to make AB look stupid) hadn't been fed to predictably adoring lobby hacks.

She bears a large part of the responsibility if Corbyn does win.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RobertSnozers wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Van_ ... onomist%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Van Reenen (economist)

In 2000–2001 he was a senior advisor to the Secretary of State for Health Alan Milburn
Got any non-Blairite sources?
I liked the bit about Corby-nomics [sic]. They do things a bit differently in Northamptonshire.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Y'know, it somewhat sticks in my craw that the Guardian comes out for Yvette Cooper whilst hawking shirts saying things like: "Labour: I prefer their earlier work," and quoting Attlee and Bevan. You can't have your cake and eat it, Guaardvarks.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

RobertSnozers wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Van_ ... onomist%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In 2000–2001 he was a senior advisor to the Secretary of State for Health Alan Milburn
Here's the (notoriously Marxist) FT's Alphaville on "People's QE" - (registration to read this column is free, if required):

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2015/08/06/2 ... ent-idea/?
We don’t understand the negativity. Some of the specific arguments justifying the proposal may be flawed, but the core idea is sound and possesses an impressive intellectual pedigree. In fact, it could help solve one of the most troublesome questions in central banking: how policymakers can accomplish their objectives using the tools at their disposal, without producing too many unpleasant side effects.
It covers the critics, the advocates, the pedigree and some specifics. It's worth a look for a clear grounding, in my opinion.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That's a good article, thanks. Good defence of the Labour economic record.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

What do you claim he gets wrong about Corbyn's proposals or the good record of the last Labour government?

Cos, you know, we are all about the substance here.

Right?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:

Someone who once advised the Labour Government is a "Blairite"?

Come on.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... ns-qe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hugo, nice to see you there again.

But you may not be aware who Ralph Mugrave is- he's a BNP politician.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

DonutHingeParty wrote:Y'know, it somewhat sticks in my craw that the Guardian comes out for Yvette Cooper whilst hawking shirts saying things like: "Labour: I prefer their earlier work," and quoting Attlee and Bevan. You can't have your cake and eat it, Guaardvarks.
T-shirts, innit?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Is he? Shit. Thanks.

Lucky I have disagreed with everything he has ever said. He is an MMT fan.
Stagger Lee
Backbencher

Post by Stagger Lee »

pk1 wrote:FOAD, this is the 'exchange' (read from bottom up):
I assume you meant FAOD?

FOAD mean something else entirely. :shock:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 10m10 minutes ago
Government departments preparing their staff for spending review job losses, Coffee House has learned http://specc.ie/1IWKwmG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working on the wild side.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Government departments preparing their staff for spending review job losses, Coffee House has learned http://specc.ie/1IWKwmG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is not clear, though, whether those ministers sympathetic to closures are in favour of their own departments shutting down, or whether they’d rather a Cabinet colleague took the bullet instead.
:D

Nicely put...

I could see a combined Department for the Regions covering devolved governments/regions thus combining Scottish, Welsh and NI office, and local government. Have one Sec of State and ministers of state for each region.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Stagger Lee
Backbencher

Post by Stagger Lee »

Every civil servant knew this was coming and would still be happening, albeit to a slightly lesser extent, if Labour had won the election.

I am sure there are a lot of jobs that could be easily lost, as there are in every big organisation, but once people baying for the blood of civil servants realise quite how dramatically this will impact on the services they expect to receive they will be very unhappy indeed.

Of course any deterioration in service will be a) blamed on the unions and b) an excuse even more sell offs to the wonderfully efficient and cheap private sector.
Last edited by Stagger Lee on Mon 17 Aug, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote: An advisor to arch-Blairite Milburn during the phase the NHS Plan was developed? Yes, I'd describe that as Blairite. He was also a policy advisor on 'enterprise and tax' to No10 in 1999-2000.

The article is ludicrous, anyway. Invoking the Morris Marina? Is this the best they can do?
No, he puts in arguments about productivity and progress on inequality. The Morris Marina is colour, pointing up a historical parallel.

It's over the top to talk about people in 1999-2000 being "arch Blairites". The split, such as it was about policy at all, wasn't pronounced then.

Advised on "tax and enterprise"? Ye Gods. Doesn't he know you just do "tax justice" and everything's OK?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Stagger Lee wrote:Every civil servant knew this was coming and would still be happening, albeit to a slightly lesser extent, if Labour had won the election.

I am sure there are a lot of jobs that could be easily lost, as there are in every big organisation, but once people baying for the blood of civil servants realise quite how dramatically this will impact on the services they expect to receive they will be very unhappy indeed.

Of course any deterioration in service will be a) blamed on the unions and b) an excuse even more sell offs to the wonderfully efficient and cheap private sector.
If jobs could be easily lost then they could have found them over the past five years...no, these ones will have an impact somehwere.

What will happen is that there'll be a cockup at some point - some policy which goes wrong because someone didn't check something...and then they'll discover that the person who did that lost their job in the cull. The they'll quietly rehire them on a consultancy basis which won't add to the departmental numbers.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Stagger Lee wrote:Every civil servant knew this was coming and would still be happening, albeit to a slightly lesser extent, if Labour had won the election.

The article cites DECC as probably being in line for closure or merger within another department. That's going to suit this government down to the ground ... they'll be centrally approving those energy plans they want to ensure happen - fracking - and conveniently getting rid of any residual 'green crap'.
Working on the wild side.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I've owned two Morris Marinas in the past. Excellent motors apart from the rust. I wouldn't describe Milburn as a Blairite; he's way to the right of that. I don't understand why he hasn't defected to the Tories. Probably the former MP most quoted by dimblebum when he needs a source to try to unsettle uppity lefties. 'But he was Health Secretary in a Labour government' whines the irritating stooge.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

The article cites DECC as probably being in line for closure or merger within another department. That's going to suit this government down to the ground ... they'll be centrally approving those energy plans they want to ensure happen - fracking - and conveniently getting rid of any residual 'green crap'.
Merger with Environment would make some sense, with the Local Gov stuff in Environment put in with the Regions/Devolved authorities department as Roger suggests.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

RobertSnozers wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

If jobs could be easily lost then they could have found them over the past five years...no, these ones will have an impact somehwere.

What will happen is that there'll be a cockup at some point - some policy which goes wrong because someone didn't check something...and then they'll discover that the person who did that lost their job in the cull. The they'll quietly rehire them on a consultancy basis which won't add to the departmental numbers.
Yes, there will be a lot of that. There already has been in the NHS. I got rehired several times on a freelance basis. The extent to which the non-frontline bits of the service got hollowed out by 2012-3 was frightening, and it had to be kept going with freelancers/consultants and subcontracting. For example, all IT support for NHS England got farmed out to Atos.
They do our IT. I refer to them as 'don'tgiveatos'.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote: No, the first few hundred words are fluff about the dreadful 70s and how unrealistic the socialists were before they were crushed by the boot of history. He might as well have posted a picture of a Trabant and captioned it THIS IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU ELECT CORBYN!

The rest credits the late-90s/early 2000s boom entirely to the Blair government and repeats the Blairite argument that no-one cares how you run the country as long as you bung the poor some cash now and again. I don't know how much more Blairite it could be.
The poor weren't "bunged some cash now and then". A substantial system of in work social security was created, which provided a boost to poor incomes. Even the Tories are wary of rolling it back too far. Even Byrne opposed cuts to working tax credits.

Britain, crash and all, performed very well in 1997-2010 overall. That's not a "Blairite" statement. First 10 years, UK annual average of growth was a whole percentage point above Germany's.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Piss Ups. Breweries.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/vot ... .rcdLXRxYQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

We mentioned this the other day, but it's worth repeating.
Corbyn even suggests it was wrong to allow countries such as Poland, as a former member of the Warsaw Pact in the Soviet orbit, to join Nato. Asked whether it was a mistake to admit former Warsaw Pact countries, he says: “I think it probably was, actually. We should have gone down the road Ukraine went down in 1990, which was an informal agreement with Russia that Ukraine would be a non-nuclear state [and] would be non-aligned in its foreign policy. The interesting thing is why Russia didn’t turn all that into a treaty, why they just accepted it as an informal agreement with Nato, the EU and the US.”
We?

What's it got to do with us?

Who's he to tell Poland it has to sit there as a buffer zone so as Russia doesn't feel offended?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Another item in the FT today. Apparently FTSE100 bosses were earning 160x average wage in 2010. By 2014 it was up to 183x. But we've got to cut their taxes because they're the captains of industry, the wealth creators and masters of the universe who are so patriotic they'll all fuck off somewhere else unless we keep cutting their taxes and make the poor pay for it. Wankers! :toss: :fire:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

DonutHingeParty wrote:Y'know, it somewhat sticks in my craw that the Guardian comes out for Yvette Cooper whilst hawking shirts saying things like: "Labour: I prefer their earlier work," and quoting Attlee and Bevan. You can't have your cake and eat it, Guaardvarks.
As we speak the Guardvarks are hunting down Wintour for that contradiction. Problem is they keep getting distracted by termites.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:We mentioned this the other day, but it's worth repeating.
Corbyn even suggests it was wrong to allow countries such as Poland, as a former member of the Warsaw Pact in the Soviet orbit, to join Nato. Asked whether it was a mistake to admit former Warsaw Pact countries, he says: “I think it probably was, actually. We should have gone down the road Ukraine went down in 1990, which was an informal agreement with Russia that Ukraine would be a non-nuclear state [and] would be non-aligned in its foreign policy. The interesting thing is why Russia didn’t turn all that into a treaty, why they just accepted it as an informal agreement with Nato, the EU and the US.”
We?

What's it got to do with us?

Who's he to tell Poland it has to sit there as a buffer zone so as Russia doesn't feel offended?
Well the Ukrainian decision to cut a deal with Russia and give up Nukes worked well for them didn't it.

To be fairer to Corbyn I understand what he is saying here. But Russian actions in Georgia and Ukraine suggests he is wrong. To answer your question though as NATO members we had to agree offering membership to WP countries.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yep.

And funnily enough, the ex-Warsaw Pact countries thought "Yes please. Worst thing that'll happen is a new Iron Curtain goes up, except with us on the right side of it this time."
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Learned? This has been around for ages.

I've been looking around for a new job, and on two occasions I've been interested in a role only to be told "We can't guarantee it'll be around in March."

Govt departments, and local governments, are being told to prepare two budgets, one for 25% cuts, and one for 40% cuts.

One local authority that I have a in interest in I know for a fact is laying off 1 in 6 staff.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan wrote:
yahyah wrote:I've got it down in my diary that the candidates will be on Channel 4 News tonight, just trying to check if that is true.
In the studio? Burnham is in Liverpool at 7pm.

It was down on the Labour party site as today at 7pm.
Now it has been changed to Sept 1st, a bit late for anyone trying to make up their mind !
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Yep.

And funnily enough, the ex-Warsaw Pact countries thought "Yes please. Worst thing that'll happen is a new Iron Curtain goes up, except with us on the right side of it this time."
Which is broadly what as happened with Russia keeping satellite states broadly under its influence, until Ukraine.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mail on Sunday scoop set to end Corbyn campaign.

Newspaper reveals Labour front runner once ate a tin of beans.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Would be more likely to take David Miliband's advice if he hadn't snuck off to the US, but stayed to fight against the Tories.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:

Oh, but you have missed the most damaging thing....he once had a cat called Harold Wilson.
Ye gods, how could such a man live in polite society ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Visions of a cat ,smoking a pipe wearing a gannex raincoat.I blame yahyah,or maybe an overindulgence of tea(honest)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Rebel with some paws.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote:

a PHOTOCOPIER?
well that's that then.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

a PHOTOCOPIER?
well that's that then.

He made copies of documents, is there no end to his depravity ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

a PHOTOCOPIER?
well that's that then.
I feel truly betrayed. Surely he used a Roneo machine? (I think it was also known as a Banda - anyway, it stank to high heaven.) I'm definitely voting for Liz Kendall now.

Edited
Bracket-related full stop relocation
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 17 Aug, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
a PHOTOCOPIER?
well that's that then.
I feel truly betrayed. Surely he used a Roneo machine? (I think it was also known as a Banda - anyway, it stank to high heaven). I'm definitely voting for Liz Kendall now.

Can you make an image of your bum using a Roneo ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

No need to provide physical evidence.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Unbeknownst to our Jeremy ,the cat was an MI5 agent.