Weekend Edition - Saturday/Sunday 22nd/23rd August

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Weekend Edition - Saturday/Sunday 22nd/23rd August

Post by TobyLatimer »

Guten Morgen.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Weekend Edition - Saturday/Sunday 22nd/23rd August

Post by yahyah »

Bore Da.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Any good news out there ?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Having a lie-in are we ?
couch-potatoes-008.jpg
couch-potatoes-008.jpg (81.27 KiB) Viewed 7549 times
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Louise Mensch has made a complete arse of herself yet again I see.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Apparently antisemitic suggested Twitter searches that she said were indicative of abuse from Jeremy Corbyn supporters turned out to be a record of her own search history.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -backfires
ScreenShot00671.jpg
ScreenShot00671.jpg (205.23 KiB) Viewed 7545 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kali mera.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The automatic weather forecast that pops up on the G sidebar for my local area is extremely annoying this morning. It shows cloud currently .... it's pissing down, absolutely chucking it down.

When did this snoopy feature start appearing on the G? I only noticed it a couple of weeks ago.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I wish Rebecca. A bit of Greek weather would be welcome.
Dark, damp and cold here again. Don't need the Guardian to tell me, just watching a rain soaked wren picking at the gravel, and collapsed and broken white cosmos.

Am not a Twitterati, and don't understand its workings, but presume she was searching for things to get outraged about, then tried to suggest those searches were examples of Corbyn-fan anti-semitism ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

@yahyah

That's a very good description of Mensch's prime activity ... 'searching for things to get outraged about'. Her in a nutshell.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Доброе утро.

I thought it more in line with the Corbyn hysteria, not his supporters you understand (neither am I referring to anyone here btw). Anyway I don't usually bother with what Louise says, Toby, but in this instance could not help but look given the headline. Far too brazen to even get it now, mind you I can talk!

As for good news, yahyah, maybe later but first I overheard something about lack of personnel to process blue badges, which got me thinking that I had noticed a growing number of empty disabled parking bays recently. I'd wondered how many had been affected by losing the mobility component of their allowances, I mean there have been stories of those losing their vehicles altogether. More generally with the squeeze on their finances perhaps they simply cannot afford to go out.

<tory>They're only isolated cases.</tory>
<tory>Hide them away. Don't they know how much their presence offends us?</tory>
<IDS>Yes, George, we're not only saving money, we have far fewer claimants.</IDS>

On a much brighter note, yahyah, the sun is shining and not only is my daughter visiting me tomorrow but my granddaughter too. She wants to tell me about her adventures in CBeebies Land, as I declined her kind offer to accompany them. On a somewhat parallel note prompted by Dismaland, forget the expense or fossil fuel costs to the planet when I took my daughter to Disney World (not a toddler but does have Downs) I expected just to put a brave face on it. On the contrary, I and pretty well all the Dads I saw had naturally huge grins. Is that any cheerier?

Edit: replace I'm not with neither am I - for clarity
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sat 22 Aug, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dr. Brian May ‏@DrBrianMay 10h10 hours ago
Dr. Brian May retweeted PETA
Please God make the whole world change like this. Bri

PETAVerified account
‏@peta
BREAKING: After over 20 YRS in cages 4 bears take first steps into their new home! http://nydn.us/1JxHAAl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #PETArescue
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

TobyLatimer wrote:Having a lie-in are we ?
couch-potatoes-008.jpg

"Actual Daily Mail reporters not posed by actors"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

yahyah wrote:I wish Rebecca. A bit of Greek weather would be welcome.
Dark, damp and cold here again. Don't need the Guardian to tell me, just watching a rain soaked wren picking at the gravel, and collapsed and broken white cosmos.

Am not a Twitterati, and don't understand its workings, but presume she was searching for things to get outraged about, then tried to suggest those searches were examples of Corbyn-fan anti-semitism ?
There is a very large and very shocking amount of misogyny and anti-semitism being posted on twitter by those purporting to be Corbyn supporters. Some of it is fake. I don't think most of it is.

It seems to me to get things the wrong way about to highlight how Louise Mensch doesn't understand how Google search works, rather than this.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think this is anything to do with Corbyn personally.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

That's correct Yahyah.

Autocomplete is the automatic filling in of the search box when you go on Google for instance and search for something. Results vary on location and popularity. If you enter 'Flythen' into Google - it will show the complete 'Flythenest' before you have chance to finish typing. The Twitter search box just records the history of searches on that particular users device. Mensch was suggesting that her own Twitter entries were a sign that these were from Corbyn supporters looking for ways of attacking Kendall, looks like she is either unaware of her own Twitter search history or she fabricated the whole thing. Crosses the line I feel.
Last edited by TobyLatimer on Sat 22 Aug, 2015 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sky News ‏@SkyNews 12h12 hours ago
INDEPENDENT FRONT PAGE: "Priced out of justice: court fees force the poor to plead guilty" #skypapers
I can't find the story in the Indy online or would post a link. But this is scandalous ... it completely undermines the principle of justice which the UK is supposed to be a beacon for ... no more under this lot.

British values anyone?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TobyLatimer wrote:That's correct Yahyah.

Autocomplete is the automatic filling in of the search box when you go on Google for instance and search for something. Results vary on location and popularity. If you enter 'Flythen' into Google - it will show the complete 'Flythenest' before you have chance to finish typing. The Twitter search box just records the history of searches on that particular users device. Mensch was suggesting that her own Twitter entries were a sign that these were from Corbyn supporters looking for devious ways of attacking Kendall, when she actually fabricated the whole thing. Crosses the line I feel, maybe even legally.

"Fabricated the whole thing" may imply more than is intended.

Go look

https://mobile.twitter.com/LouiseMensch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Bonjour, Buenos Dias, Kalimera, Buongiorno!

I'm not in for a lazy day today, but a lovely day - even though it's raining and I can't see the mountains because of the low cloud.....Wonderful daughter is here, and that's always a treat.
Show's OK, out of HDU, and in the main ward until Monday (then he might be coming home); nearly son-in-law is deep in the briny in a RN sub, so we get to have a nice girly weekend.
It will involve a nice little trip out for coffee (River Cafe in Glasbury, down by the river Wye), shopping (always), then maybe watching trash TV while we natter and gossip etc.

Re. yesterdays' posts - on IDS - I don't think this petition will make any difference whatsoever (although I've signed it).

TE - you are quite right to say that many of the "reforms" have saved no money.
Some of them, in fact, have cost much more than they've saved.
I've posted this before, but I make no apology for doing so again: it was claimed by Cameron before the election that cuts "worth" £20 Billion were made to what he calls "welfare" under the coalition. The actual savings were, according to various fact-checks, £2 Billion.

The Under Occupation Penalty is an example of this - it was originally intended to claw back £500 Million in HB; then IDS countered his own departments downgrading to £360 Million by announcing that the Penalty (which by then had been re-named the Spare Room Subsidy) was saving a million pounds a day - neglecting to mention that this was offset by £180 Million in Discretionary Housing Payment funding.
So in its' first year, the most it could have "saved" was £180 Million - from a Housing Benefit bill of £23 Billion at the time (it's £25 Billion now)
Of all the households affected by the Penalty, just 6% have actually moved out of their allegedly under-occupied home; most of those are from London and have been re-housed somewhere else. The aim of helping overcrowded households has failed miserably.
As the costs of court cases, bailiffs, evictions, and emergency accommodation for the homeless, is borne by LAs, it's difficult to find out what all these things - a direct result of the Penalty - have cost nationwide.

As with so many of IDS' ideas and "flagship reforms" like the Work Programme and Universal Credit, this is not and never has been about saving money or actually introducing proper reforms - it is, as he let slip recently, about "behavioural change".
What IDS apparently believes is that if people are forced into penury, by fair means or foul (sanctions being a case in point of the latter) they will get a job and stop claiming; whether he really understands that doing what he does actually achieves that is moot.

I also don't think it's true that he is doing Cameron and Osborne's bidding - they are letting him run with his idiotic schemes because they know that they have public opinion on their side for now. The scrounger propaganda has been very effective.
They don't care how much it all costs - if it stops people claiming, if it renders DWP so inefficient they have justification to privatise it, or both, then it's job done. It's not about saving money, it about ideology. They hate social security, they want private insurances.
IDS may be too stupid to see this; or he may be well aware of it and happily colluding with it. Who knows?

Plus there may be other reasons why he's still there - he refused to move when asked (twice) and perhaps no other minister was willing to take on what has become a very poisoned chalice; or IDS has something on Cameron and will get what he wants as a result.

I don't wish many people active harm, but I make an exception in his case.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Here's the link RR.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 66451.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I'm guessing SH is referring to mysoginstic abuse that she and far too many others are subject to. I am not condoning it but can't help feel that if you're going to indulge in a platform like Twitter that you should probably ignore them; obviously threats are a different matter.

As I say I don't condone such rude behaviour, however I'm also a little anti the PC brigade. I don't find Ricky Gervais or Frankie Boyle, for example, offensive I think they mock and ridicule discrimination. Granted some may see it as poor taste, but that's another issue.

Postscript: there are some offensive comics mind whose names escape me.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sat 22 Aug, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Here's the link RR.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 66451.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you.

Botany Bay 2 seems to be looming for those who dare to steal a Mars Bar because they are poor.

Or perhaps we will start cutting people's hands off if they are found guilty of shoplifting and charge people who want to witness it. A new kind of blood sport - satisfying both the lust for grisly punishment and profit making zeal.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

utopiandreams wrote:I'm guessing SH is referring to mysoginstic abuse that she and far too many others are subject to. I am not condoning it but can't help feel that if you're going to indulge in a platform like Twitter that you should probably ignore them; obviously threats are a different matter.

As I say I don't condone such rude behaviour, however I'm also a little anti the PC brigade. I don't find Ricky Gervais or Frankie Boyle, for example, offensive I think they mock and ridicule discrimination. Granted some may see it as poor taste, but that's another issue.

No. It is the abuse Coper and Kendall get. Go look at Mensch's timeline. I don't think you'll think it is like Ricky Gervais.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sorry to rub it in... ;)

Yesterday after a cloudy start it was hot and sunny.

Today the sun is out and the cloud is clearing. Supposed to be a hot one. 27 c. :rock:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sorry. Scratch that. 28c. :D
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

SpinningHugo wrote:

There is a very large and very shocking amount of misogyny and anti-semitism being posted on twitter by those purporting to be Corbyn supporters. Some of it is fake. I don't think most of it is.

It seems to me to get things the wrong way about to highlight how Louise Mensch doesn't understand how Google search works, rather than this.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think this is anything to do with Corbyn personally.

I suppose it depends where you look on Twitter and who you follow - I haven't seen that much misogyny or anti-semitism, Hugo.

I have seen plenty of Corbyn support, certainly; I've also seen people asking supporters not to call the other candidates names and keep things civil.
I have no idea how one can judge whether posts on social media are "fake" or not - how can anyone know who this "large and shocking" amount of abuse is from?

The execrable Mensch is just pratting about getting her face in the news, as ever. She simply will not go away or belt up. If it wasn't this, she'd find something else to be outraged about.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Please shut up Ohso. No more.

(Said in the nicest possible way).
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@ephemerid

May I ask if the submariner is short, ephe? I don't want to make fun, it's just that those I've known have been, which makes perfect sense.

I agree with what you say about IDS, nevertheless aside of his incompetence, UC for example, Dave and George will know full well how much his reforms are costing, i.e not saving money as broadcast to an unknowing (I hesitate to use ignorant) populus. Dave is a classic example of this when he spouts the savings from the dispatch box. What I'm really saying is not that IDS deserves any excuse, I hate him as much as the rest of you, but can we at least agree that Dave and George are deserving of as much, possibly more in my book, of our anger.

Postscript: when I speak of costs I also mean societal and to the individuals caught in the melee.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sat 22 Aug, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@SpinningHugo

Thanks for the explanation, Hugo, but no, I shan't be taking a look.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

I suppose it depends where you look on Twitter and who you follow - I haven't seen that much misogyny or anti-semitism, Hugo.

I have seen plenty of Corbyn support, certainly; I've also seen people asking supporters not to call the other candidates names and keep things civil.
I have no idea how one can judge whether posts on social media are "fake" or not - how can anyone know who this "large and shocking" amount of abuse is from?

The execrable Mensch is just pratting about getting her face in the news, as ever. She simply will not go away or belt up. If it wasn't this, she'd find something else to be outraged about.
My bold.

I've found the same thing. Perhaps it's because I refuse to look at Mensch's tweets or threads she in. Her sort feeds on nastiness.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Oh yeah, one other thing. I honestly don't think the false testimonials on DWP literature are the initiative of the DWP. Of course I may be wrong, but aside of two DWP personnel I've previously mentioned I have spoken to many more who all hate IDS. There is of course the management (two comics whose names escape have popped into my head now), who may be responsible, but I still cannot stop thinking a former Conservative chairman. Let's not forget that Dave values him too, talk about his judgement, and presumably knows far more of what is going on than we do. He could simply be as thick (lacking nouse) as I sometimes suspect, of course.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

On Mensch, I really know little about her other than second hand and a couple of appearances on HIGNFY, but have the impression that she is deliberately provocative. If so she would get the reactions that she may complain of. I'm not a twit, so had better shut up!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

utopiandreams wrote:I'm guessing SH is referring to mysoginstic abuse that she and far too many others are subject to. I am not condoning it but can't help feel that if you're going to indulge in a platform like Twitter that you should probably ignore them; obviously threats are a different matter.

The number of supposedly "right-on" lefties prepared to indulge in crude misogyny against women they disagree with is a tad disconcerting, tbh.

Not just Mensch (who I despise and probably ultimately feel sorry for) but we have see it in the Labour leadership bunfight.

Mostly against Kendall, but also Creasy and others.

Cut it out.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Who is to blame for the Labour party’s predicament? It’s not Jeremy Corbyn
Ian Jack
When I rejoined the Labour party it was partly out of pity, partly loyalty to a friend. As its candidates now bombard me, I wonder whether they understand where responsibility for their crisis lies
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good, thoughtful and measured article.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I've got to go now, but shall leave you with this. Wouldn't you hate to be a moderator on Twitter? I know I would. Sinilarly, well maybe not similarly but also, I'd hate to be a politician where every utterance is disassembled.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

yahyah wrote:Here's the link RR.

A Ministry of Justice spokeswoman said: “It is right that convicted adult offenders who use our criminal courts should pay towards the cost of running them. The introduction of this charge makes it possible to recover some of the costs of the criminal courts from these offenders, therefore reducing the burden on taxpayers.”
I can never decide whether I feel sorry for these 'spokespeople', getting paid to parrot the govt line.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tonibel
Backbencher

Post by Tonibel »

ohsocynical wrote:Sorry. Scratch that. 28c. :D
Thanks a bunch! We are facing our fourth continuous day of drizzle. 16.2C.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... yn-burnham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harriet Harman has been forced to publicly defend Labour’s handling of its increasingly fractious leadership contest as the party came under attack from Andy Burnham’s campaign and supporters of the frontrunner, Jeremy Corbyn.

The acting Labour leader stressed that the outcome of the ballot due next month would be final and promised the party’s rules would be applied in a “rigorous, fair, robust and even-handed way”. She said: “Whoever is elected, they will be legally elected and the result will stand.”
Bit disappointed in Burnham's camp. It's too late to change the electoral process. Undermining Labour by dissing their own rules isn't going to help anyone. Harman's right, the party has to stand by the result. Is anyone going to listen to her though?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

There's a job ad wibbling around at the top of the Guardian's front page. It's for the post of Executive Director - Finance and Business Development at Wandsworth Borough, and poses the following questions:

Do you possess strong communication?[sic]

Are you an influential, problem solving or have decision making abilities to support both the senior management team and Board of Trustees?[sic]

Now, if only I could understand the questions . . .

The sun's out here, it's warm and dry and, according to the weather forecast, we're going to pay dearly for it next week.

(And I haven't voted yet.)

Edited to add a space and a comma
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I am (was?) strongly in favour of Angela Eagle for Deputy. But I haven't heard a dicky-bird (pardon the pun) from her, so far. Pull your talon out, Angela!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... yn-burnham
Harriet Harman has been forced to publicly defend Labour’s handling of its increasingly fractious leadership contest as the party came under attack from Andy Burnham’s campaign and supporters of the frontrunner, Jeremy Corbyn.

The acting Labour leader stressed that the outcome of the ballot due next month would be final and promised the party’s rules would be applied in a “rigorous, fair, robust and even-handed way”. She said: “Whoever is elected, they will be legally elected and the result will stand.”
Bit disappointed in Burnham's camp. It's too late to change the electoral process. Undermining Labour by dissing their own rules isn't going to help anyone. Harman's right, the party has to stand by the result. Is anyone going to listen to her though?
This sort of stuff is just going to get more people to vote for Corbyn - "if he is going to win, lets make sure he does it in a way that brooks no argument".

I see that Jack McConnell is the latest "grandee" to treat us all to his inflated and misguided sense of self-importance this morning.

Has he said anything about why Labour got wiped out in Scotland? At all??
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:I am (was?) strongly in favour of Angela Eagle for Deputy. But I haven't heard a dicky-bird (pardon the pun) from her, so far. Pull your talon out, Angela!
I voted for Angela Eagle. I just went on the blurb in the leaflet which came with my ballot really (and the fact that I've been impressed by her in the past). I haven't had much from any of the deputy leader contenders, but I thought most of them would be ok, so wasn't too worried about who I voted for or who wins. I put Creasy second as she's been polling highest among the women I believe and I would like to see a woman as deputy as the leader seems likely to be Corbyn, or Burnham at a stretch.

I don't know who you're dithering between for leader (or don't you like any of them?!), but I found reading the blurbs a good way to sum them up and put them in order. I thought either Burnham or Cooper would probably make a good successor to Ed, which is what I want. I put Burnham 1st, Cooper 2nd in the end. I didn't put Corbyn or Kendall at all because they both seem to want radical change for the party and its direction and I don't. I know SH would say the country rejected Ed and his policies, but I don't see it that way. I don't think the country even knew what Ed and his policies were about. I think Scotland rejected New Labour (and ignored the fact that Ed was moving the party on from the Blair/Brown years) and marginal swing voters rejected the SNP (ignoring the fact that they only stand in a limited number of seats and would therefore only ever wield a limited amount of power). I don't know who can solve these problems, but I don't want Labour to change substantially in attempting to do so as it will no longer be the party I just voted for. I suspect I'm about to be outvoted, however. I hope you manage to make up your mind eventually. It would be a shame if you didn't have your say (even if it doesn't make any difference in the end).
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

This sort of stuff is just going to get more people to vote for Corbyn - "if he is going to win, lets make sure he does it in a way that brooks no argument".

I see that Jack McConnell is the latest "grandee" to treat us all to his inflated and misguided sense of self-importance this morning.

Do you think that's what the press are trying to do? Provoke people into voting for Corbyn? It would certainly suit them if he won, especially if they could create a veil of illegitimacy in the process, as they did with Ed. It often feels like Labour are battling the MSM, rather than the Tories.....and losing every time.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Do you think that's what the press are trying to do? Provoke people into voting for Corbyn? It would certainly suit them if he won, especially if they could create a veil of illegitimacy in the process, as they did with Ed. It often feels like Labour are battling the MSM, rather than the Tories.....and losing every time.
Which they can't really do if he wins on the first ballot, unless they are going to pretend there are hundreds of thousands of "entryists" out there ;)

There is no doubt that Ed's mandate *was* somewhat ambiguous and that subsequently dogged him. And I say that as an unashamed - and unrepentant - admirer.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

There's a job ad wibbling around at the top of the Guardian's front page. It's for the post of Executive Director - Finance and Business Development at Wandsworth Borough, and poses the following questions:

Do you possess strong communication?[sic]

Are you an influential, problem solving or have decision making abilities to support both the senior management team and Board of Trustees?[sic]

Now, if only I could understand the questions . . .

The sun's out here, it's warm and dry and, according to the weather forecast, we're going to pay dearly for it next week.

(And I haven't voted yet.)

Edited to add a space and a comma
The old space comma continuum
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
I've not voted yet.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Just thinking about the way that the Tories choose their leader - MPs only vote on early rounds and only when it's down to the last two do they get members involved.

Wondering whether the process should be the other way round given that what they're doing is to vote in the leader - not only of the party in general but of the Parliamentary party in particular.

So...candidates put themselves up for election by the members and, say, the three or four that come out top of the list, are then subject to the vote by the MPs themselves and only them. After all it's that leader who they're going to have to work with in the Commons.

Would that work?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Is last night's Any Questions worth listening to ?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:Good-afternoon, everyone.
I've not voted yet.
Waiting to see how the contenders perform or just can't make up your mind?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

For the EM groupies.
Attachments
miliband beard.jpg
miliband beard.jpg (17.08 KiB) Viewed 7221 times
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
yahyah
Prime Minister