Monday 24th August 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 24th August 2015

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Good article on two free schools in Suffolk which were set up in acrimonious circumstances - words were obviously exchanged between them and the schools nearby.

Seckford lick wounds after disastrous GCSE results at Beccles and Saxmundham

http://blog.hargrave.org.uk/2015/08/sec ... trous.html
Back in 2012 I wrote extensively about the proposed Seckford Free Schools at Beccles and Saxmundham saying they were unwanted and that they would waste money better spent elsewhere. One thing I did not expect however was that these schools would deliver truly terrible GCSE results. Results so bad that the Seckford Foundation themselves feel the need to launch an external investigation into what happened.

In the key target of five Grade A-Cs including Maths and English Beccles Free School got 39% (just under the 40% Government "floor target") and Saxmundham did considerably worse with 28%. Sir John Leman in Beccles that came in for a sustained attack on its good name by Seckford and its supporters got 66%.

Even IES Breckland the troubled free school in Brandon that lost its first principal and was then put into special measures by Ofsted did better just scraping 40%.
Interesting to note that Ofsted rated both of these as Good in June 2014 - maybe those crowing about about Ofsted scores of free schools against 'council-run schools' (sic) should maybe wait for the first set of results...
Blimey. If I had kids in those schools I wouldn't be a happy camper.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Would there be enough people who would, or could afford, to put principles before profit to make it viable ?"

Yes.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

yahyah wrote:Can you cut and paste bit please Hugo.

My attempt at registration with the FT seems to be playing up.
It was open, as far as I could see, but anyway
But there is an additional problem. The UK is running a fiscal deficit of 5.5 per cent of GDP. How can a substantial investment programme be undertaken without vastly increasing this?

Simply, by separating investment spending from the “current” deficit. The fiscal deficit is due to the fact that the “day-to-day” spending of the government exceeds its revenue. It is too easy for governments to disguise spending over-runs by cutting investment spending.

Cutting investment spending is a false economy. Judicious investment spending raises national income. Investment that results in higher productivity feeding through into higher wages means more tax revenue for government and lower welfare bills. Investment spending has long-term benefits on both sides of the public balance sheet.

Since there is a shortage of safe assets for savers, the government could simply issue bonds directly to the public to fund development projects, as it has done in previous centuries to finance wars. But the need to separate current and investment spending argues for a public investment bank rather than direct public investment. It makes the distinction crystal clear and forces the real returns from investment spending to be recognised in public accounts.
There is absolutely nothing new about this. I've been frustrated by the Treasury's ridiculous accounting methods all my adult life. Can't imagine they're suddenly going to undergo a damascene conversion.

Personally, I would be happier to buy bonds for new investment rather than re-nationalisation.
Last edited by gilsey on Mon 24 Aug, 2015 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:This is from yesterday but I don't remember our covering it here (the usual apologies apply) -
NHS competition could waste millions says Labour, after Care UK complains

UK’s biggest private healthcare provider demands investigation into decision by GPs to remove elective care contract and award it to local NHS health trust (Guardian)
Is this the way that private providers (for which, read Government) intend to deter others from even bothering to tender?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... healthcare
It's to make sure that the private sector get a "heads we win, tails you lose" scenario - where in the private sector are companies allowed to appeal against contracts being given to another party once they're up for renewal? Answer - they're not. So why is it done in the NHS?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
yahyah wrote:Sun's shining a bit. Whoopeee.

Don't let IDS get you down folks. That's what they want, people to feel demoralised, powerless and bickering amongst ourselves about the Labour leadership.
It's a beautiful day here in Stoke, yahyah, lovely warm, not too much pollution, the sun bright.
:heart:
Mr Riots has just given me our updated weather forecast which went something like this ...

Today it's not meant to rain ... but as you can see, it is.
Tomorrow - rain
Wednesday - lightening strikes and rain
Thursday - hail and rain

We've just done another round of ringing round clients to say we'll get to them when we can ... but nothing can be done while the weather is like this. I've not worked properly for over a week now - and this is when I should be working hard to get in as much income as possible before the winter.

We had about 3 hours of sunshine yesterday evening. Grateful for very small mercies. Think a lot of holiday makers have just packed up and gone. It's very deserted out there - even in town.
If it's any consolation, and I guess it isn't when income is compromised, after our few days of lovely hot weather, it's now tipping down and is supposed to do so all day.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

George keeping his finger on the pulse of the totally irrelevant while a supine media oblige and indulge every Tory whim
"George Osborne...with Finnish finance minister Alexander Stubb during the British chancellor’s trip to Finland on Sunday.
The pair cruised the Espoo archipelago in a Finnish navy patrol boat."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ge-osborne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apropos of nothing, I wonder what was on Chancellor Jeff's menu?
Cooked goose isn't served to Tory government and that's pity when we eat little else
"The weakest economy in the eurozone this year might not prove to be Greece or Portugal, but Finland.
The Nordic country is entering its fourth year of recession, with output still well below its 2008 peak."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... mber-nokia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 9h9 hours ago
Short memory @JohnRentoul John Major described IDS in worse terms than any Blair has Corbyn @MatthewdAncona

But it didn't do IDS that much harm, did it, leader for a time, and now given the power of harming other human beings.

What a joy he must think life is, implementing political sociopathy, getting paid for it, and claiming he is somehow a follower of Christ.
IDS got two years as Tory head - even though it was obvious within a few months that he was utterly hopeless with no leadership skills whatsoever.

Something those PLP blowhards saying they will depose Corbyn within weeks should bear in mind. Even if JC is as terrible as some predict, "give them enough rope to hang themselves" is rarely an unsound policy.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Labour Press;

Response to Iain Duncan Smith’s speech - Kate Green

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1274665 ... peech-kate
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

#BlackMonday

Twitter is no longer talking about the Labour leadership contest. Stock markets are tumbling and all eyes are on George Osborne. Now is not the time for austerity. Osborne won't admit that though. Tax credit cuts will stay, I suspect, while he throws money around elsewhere to compensate. All reference to the deficit will cease (even more than it has already). Might not work, though, and what happens when Tory voters get made redundant and discover the safety net has been dismantled? Will they take it on the chin and accept their new denomination as scroungers?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

TobyLatimer wrote:Labour Press;

Not a strong enough response, to my mind. She says, "Ministers need to focus on providing tailored support for disabled people who can work in order to help them do so. Cutting the benefits of those who aren’t able to work, such as those with Parkinson’s or Cancer, is punishing sick and disabled people for the Government’s own failures." Well, IDS will say, "But I am helping those who can work and of course I'll protect the most vulnerable. Labour don't want to help the sick and disabled who could do some work. They are the party of benefits not of workers."

She should have said, "The Government are planning to force people who are unwell or disabled into jobs when they are not fit to work. We will fight tooth and nail to prevent this callous plan, and to protect these vulnerable people."
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Willow904 wrote:#BlackMonday

Twitter is no longer talking about the Labour leadership contest. Stock markets are tumbling and all eyes are on George Osborne. Now is not the time for austerity. Osborne won't admit that though. Tax credit cuts will stay, I suspect, while he throws money around elsewhere to compensate. All reference to the deficit will cease (even more than it has already). Might not work, though, and what happens when Tory voters get made redundant and discover the safety net has been dismantled? Will they take it on the chin and accept their new denomination as scroungers?
Guardian retweeted

Bonnie Greer ‏@Bonn1eGreer · 2h2 hours ago  Kensington, London
And..."Britain's debt has passed £1.5trillion for the first time", @SunPolitics
#BlackMonday
#DWP
#PlanetUK
#Tories
https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlackMonday?src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Ephemerid ,a nod of recognisational acknowledgement(I have pleaded sometimes to not self discharge to no avail)The strength of will/stubborness double edge sword thing.We love them but sometimes....(It will be O.K.)
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

LadyCentauria wrote:

Not a strong enough response, to my mind. She says, "Ministers need to focus on providing tailored support for disabled people who can work in order to help them do so. Cutting the benefits of those who aren’t able to work, such as those with Parkinson’s or Cancer, is punishing sick and disabled people for the Government’s own failures." Well, IDS will say, "But I am helping those who can work and of course I'll protect the most vulnerable. Labour don't want to help the sick and disabled who could do some work. They are the party of benefits not of workers."

She should have said, "The Government are planning to force people who are unwell or disabled into jobs when they are not fit to work. We will fight tooth and nail to prevent this callous plan, and to protect these vulnerable people."

It is a feeble response, not for the first time I have been underwhelmed by Green
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Green had a very high repuation on these things when she came into parliament. Another example of people becoming "institutionalised" at Westminster?

(and of course, resentment at that deeply unhealthy and alienating culture is a key driver of support for you know who - even if he has been am MP for 32 years)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:

Cutting the benefits of those who aren’t able to work, such as those with Parkinson’s or Cancer, is punishing sick and disabled people for the Government’s own failures.
I think Green has responded powerfully.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

It's a pity that Hodges ma' is no longer around

[youtube]9Jckm3X5MXo[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A million was the supposed "result"from the introduction of ESA.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:

Guardian retweeted

#BlackMonday
#DWP
#PlanetUK
#Tories
https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlackMonday?src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Debt is of course irrelevant.

I notice the Guardian has top quality reporting here.
The Shanghai stock market has now lost all its gains this year. Umpteen stocks were suspended today after falling 10% - the maximum allowed under Beijing’s rules.
Umpteen???

However this implies a limiting factor in the crash is the 10% floor in company losses. In which case ouch, it is really bad.

China has been heading for a crash for a while, many have commented here on exactly that. The questions are:

Is this a hard or soft landing for China - I suspect given the GDP figgling that goes on the former.
Will the contagion spread to its regional neighbours, I suspect yes to a degree.
How badly will it hit the west - no idea, cars and fashion look most vulnerable for UK/EU.
Will China remain stable - probably.

If China remains stable this is a correction, if the government loses control (unlikely) then this is a big event on par with the 2008 crash.

The imminent iPhone 6s/7 global launch in a few weeks will be interesting. The product is already rumoured to be expensive, could this be a classic case of bad timing.
Release the Guardvarks.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

HindleA wrote:Morning.

http://lartsocial.org/24hourcarpark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Talking about "parking"

The benefit system as a 24-hour carpark
Thanks, A, a good analogy, but don't expect numbers to mean anything to IDS and Cameron, or even the Chancellor of the Exchequer, which demonstrated how dire things really are. As for evidence, they don't don't want or consider it worth their while. I mean impact assessments, risk registers or whatever they may be named, from those I've seen even where they identify problems or difficulties they are not addressed or evaluated; Tory dogma or belief trumps all.

I cannot help but think back to their refusal to even publish the NHS reforms risk register. I may be wrong but in such case were our parliamentarians even allowed to see it because if so you'd half expect it to have been leaked. That would really be beyond the pale if those responsible for legislature weren't given access. I appreciate the fears that may exist of misinterpretation (albeit Tories seem the worst) but perhaps it should be our right as members of a democracy that all such literature be available. Granted non-partisan full and robust explanatory notes should ideally be a part, because as is often demonstrated figures can deceive. Nevertheless I still feel, especially those from the DWP, are not fit for purpose and take no account of unintended consequence; I am sick and tired of being taken for a fool and being lied to and sure I am not alone.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AngryAsWell wrote:

Guardian retweeted

#BlackMonday
#DWP
#PlanetUK
#Tories
Shit.

It's all very well pointing out the gaping holes in Tory economic strategy, but it won't be much fun to be proved right. At least if the next crash comes sooner rather than later we will be spared the fallout from the predicted record levels of household debt that were outlined in Osborne's autumn statement. We're in better shape to weather the storm now, than we would be in a few years time if Osborne stuck to his plans. That's assuming the Tories don't do anything really stupid, of course. Past history isn't entirely reassuring.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Concern over the health of the global economy sent investors flocking to the yen – considered a “safe haven” – driving the US dollar to a six-week low against the Japanese currency."

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... over-china" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The US greenback not considered a safe haven currency settling international transactions rocks everyone's world.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:
"Concern over the health of the global economy sent investors flocking to the yen – considered a “safe haven” – driving the US dollar to a six-week low against the Japanese currency."

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... over-china" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The US greenback not considered a safe haven currency settling international transactions rocks everyone's world.
They already hold lots of dollars, buying ¥ is a way of diversifying.

IIRC China holds a shed load of US debt.
Release the Guardvarks.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

At its heart, today’s market panic shows that investors are losing faith in central banks’ ability to keep the show on the road.

So argues Jasper Lawler of CMC Markets, who writes:

The People’s Bank of China has spectacularly failed to stimulate the Chinese economy, Europe’s whole recovery is based on a lower euro which was just undermined by the yuan devaluation and the US is experiencing its slowest post-recession recovery on record, despite huge stimulus.

Those stimulus measures involved ultra-low interest rates and massive bond-buying through quantitative easing.

That drove many world stock markets to record highs in recent years, but didn’t resolve the underlying problems in the global economy.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... rkets-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strikes me the global economy didn't fully bottom out after the initial global crash. Are over-valued assets finally going to find their true value? Or will they once again be propped up at the expense of the poorest in society?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Guardian retweeted

#BlackMonday
#DWP
#PlanetUK
#Tories
Debt is of course irrelevant.

I notice the Guardian has top quality reporting here.
The Shanghai stock market has now lost all its gains this year. Umpteen stocks were suspended today after falling 10% - the maximum allowed under Beijing’s rules.
Umpteen???

However this implies a limiting factor in the crash is the 10% floor in company losses. In which case ouch, it is really bad.

China has been heading for a crash for a while, many have commented here on exactly that. The questions are:

Is this a hard or soft landing for China - I suspect given the GDP figgling that goes on the former.
Will the contagion spread to its regional neighbours, I suspect yes to a degree.
How badly will it hit the west - no idea, cars and fashion look most vulnerable for UK/EU.
Will China remain stable - probably.

If China remains stable this is a correction, if the government loses control (unlikely) then this is a big event on par with the 2008 crash.

The imminent iPhone 6s/7 global launch in a few weeks will be interesting. The product is already rumoured to be expensive, could this be a classic case of bad timing.

You mentioned the Chinese Government and its control, or lack thereof, of the situation - I've just read this. Although I confess to knowing nothing at all about Fraser Howie or his track record for reading the runes aright .
Fraser Howie, the co-author of Red Capitalism: The Fragile Financial Foundation of China’s Extraordinary Rise, said Beijing’s handling of the stock market calamity raised real questions about the leadership of president Xi Jinping and the prime minister, Li Keqiang.

“I think there is now growing realisation – domestically and offshore - that the Chinese leadership are not in control of the situation. Not only are they not in control of it, they don’t even seem to grasp the problems at times,” he said.
(Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... over-china

Edited to add an "e"
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 24 Aug, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Willow904 wrote:
At its heart, today’s market panic shows that investors are losing faith in central banks’ ability to keep the show on the road.

So argues Jasper Lawler of CMC Markets, who writes:

The People’s Bank of China has spectacularly failed to stimulate the Chinese economy, Europe’s whole recovery is based on a lower euro which was just undermined by the yuan devaluation and the US is experiencing its slowest post-recession recovery on record, despite huge stimulus.

Those stimulus measures involved ultra-low interest rates and massive bond-buying through quantitative easing.

That drove many world stock markets to record highs in recent years, but didn’t resolve the underlying problems in the global economy.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... rkets-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strikes me the global economy didn't fully bottom out after the initial global crash. Are over-valued assets finally going to find their true value? Or will they once again be propped up at the expense of the poorest in society?
Nothing will bottom out until the housing bubble (land & property values) bursts and a home becomes a viable option for people to live in rather than regarded as an "investment"
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@HindleA

Btw I looked at their home page (http://lartsocial.org/) and there seems a preponderance of interesting topics. Was a little disappointed that I found nothing on who exactly they were but have bookmarked the site for a later look.

Not today however just reading your (all of you that is) contributions as am still unsettled. Nothing has yet been resolved regarding the neighbour. I have spoken to one of the landlords who is sending the agent round to enter the property. We've also had the police around who I lent step ladders for a closer look though the windows, and they spoke to my landlord to get the tenant's name (none of us know with her being a newcomer).

I wasn't going to say anything without (good) news, but some of you may have been wondering. Trust me to open my mouth or rattle the keyboard with little thought, but having done so I shall update you once something is known. I just hope she is fine and well somewhere else.

Edit: inserted ''though the' windows and 'fine and well'
Last edited by utopiandreams on Mon 24 Aug, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Ephemerid - I don't know what to say about that - except not surprised you are fuming - and presumably very anxious too.

I hope Show gets home OK. I hope you can manage the anxious, angry wait without too much stress on your system. And best of wishes to you for sorting things out when he appears - and with the hospital in the future.
I hope Show gets home OK, too. He must be very stubborn and strong-willed to leave before his discharge letter. Is this normal behaviour for him? I know some people find being in hospital very stressful. Unfortunately there's a very fine line between respecting people's right to discharge themselves and keeping them in for their own good. They wouldn't have let him go if he wasn't medically alright, but sometimes you wish they would respect people's wishes less when they are unwell and clearly making poor decisions. We had problems with my dad discharging himself early and then ending up straight back in hospital, before he was finally diagnosed with dementia, so I know what a worry it is and how you must be concerned that he will jeopardise his recovery.

He left without telling anybody.

I've had to ask more patients than I can count to sign disclaimers before they walk out of A&E.

Show can be very self-willed, and he didn't even bother the hang on for the hour or so before the consultant was due to see him and decide if he could come home. He has been an utter prat.
Everything was being prepared for his discharge, the chances were he'd be able to leave - but he's stomped out because he claims they wanted his bed (not so - they do a short day case list on Monday mornings and if he'd been asked to stay he'd have had his bed back by teatime) and he wasn't prepared to wait for hospital transport.

I am worried - especially as there's no sign of him yet and he's turned his phone off - and obviously a lot of my anger stems from that.
There are times when I think he acts like a child and it's very difficult to live with at times.

The surgery he has had may be routine to the specialty these days, but it's pretty major stuff and he should not have done this.

God knows what state he'll be in when he gets home. I have every intention of making sure he hasn't done anything to injure himself, and if there's a problem I'll seek appropriate help - but he isn't going to get much in terms of sympathy from me. Idiot.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Guardian retweeted

#BlackMonday
#DWP
#PlanetUK
#Tories
Shit.

It's all very well pointing out the gaping holes in Tory economic strategy, but it won't be much fun to be proved right. At least if the next crash comes sooner rather than later we will be spared the fallout from the predicted record levels of household debt that were outlined in Osborne's autumn statement. We're in better shape to weather the storm now, than we would be in a few years time if Osborne stuck to his plans. That's assuming the Tories don't do anything really stupid, of course. Past history isn't entirely reassuring.
(my bold)
Based upon the actions and words of Tory government over the last fives years, I will say they're not qualified to responsibly respond to any turmoil.
I fear sycophantic distortion of events favouring the few who've profited most from creating the problem to begin with.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:@Ephemerid ,a nod of recognisational acknowledgement(I have pleaded sometimes to not self discharge to no avail)The strength of will/stubborness double edge sword thing.We love them but sometimes....(It will be O.K.)

Thank you, A. I appreciate it.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@ephemerid

So show's a prat then? At least that's something we both have in common.

Postscript: I meant to add best wishes.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Mon 24 Aug, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

My thoughts are with you and Show, Ephemerid.
I'm sorry there's not more I can do.
Please be safe, Show.
We'll all be glad to have you home.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Oh dear ephe, I hope everything turns out OK :(
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

They already hold lots of dollars, buying ¥ is a way of diversifying.

IIRC China holds a shed load of US debt.
It's further evidence of profound economic instability.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ephemerid wrote:
HindleA wrote:@Ephemerid ,a nod of recognisational acknowledgement(I have pleaded sometimes to not self discharge to no avail)The strength of will/stubborness double edge sword thing.We love them but sometimes....(It will be O.K.)

Thank you, A. I appreciate it.

For both your sakes, I hope he's not struggling home in the midst of the sort of weather that's going on here.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

I see Cridland is having a pop at Corbyn. In doing so however (and note I am not a fan of Corbyn) Cridland has outed himself as an ignorant fuckwit with this gorgeous statement.
“We all know that household finances and government finances are the same. You can’t print money and borrow endlessly.
Incompetent tosser or a liar you decide.
Release the Guardvarks.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ephemerid wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Ephemerid - I don't know what to say about that - except not surprised you are fuming - and presumably very anxious too.

I hope Show gets home OK. I hope you can manage the anxious, angry wait without too much stress on your system. And best of wishes to you for sorting things out when he appears - and with the hospital in the future.
I hope Show gets home OK, too. He must be very stubborn and strong-willed to leave before his discharge letter. Is this normal behaviour for him? I know some people find being in hospital very stressful. Unfortunately there's a very fine line between respecting people's right to discharge themselves and keeping them in for their own good. They wouldn't have let him go if he wasn't medically alright, but sometimes you wish they would respect people's wishes less when they are unwell and clearly making poor decisions. We had problems with my dad discharging himself early and then ending up straight back in hospital, before he was finally diagnosed with dementia, so I know what a worry it is and how you must be concerned that he will jeopardise his recovery.

He left without telling anybody.

I've had to ask more patients than I can count to sign disclaimers before they walk out of A&E.

Show can be very self-willed, and he didn't even bother the hang on for the hour or so before the consultant was due to see him and decide if he could come home. He has been an utter prat.
Everything was being prepared for his discharge, the chances were he'd be able to leave - but he's stomped out because he claims they wanted his bed (not so - they do a short day case list on Monday mornings and if he'd been asked to stay he'd have had his bed back by teatime) and he wasn't prepared to wait for hospital transport.

I am worried - especially as there's no sign of him yet and he's turned his phone off - and obviously a lot of my anger stems from that.
There are times when I think he acts like a child and it's very difficult to live with at times.

The surgery he has had may be routine to the specialty these days, but it's pretty major stuff and he should not have done this.

God knows what state he'll be in when he gets home. I have every intention of making sure he hasn't done anything to injure himself, and if there's a problem I'll seek appropriate help - but he isn't going to get much in terms of sympathy from me. Idiot.
No wonder you're worried. From your first comment I got the impression he had asked to self discharge but then failed to wait for his discharge letter. If he left without telling anyone you have no insight into his state of mind, which must be very concerning. At least it seems to be slightly within character (heightened by the stress of hospital and feeling unwell?) for him to do this sort of thing. I hope he shows up soon. My brother-in-law recently walked home alone from hospital after he'd knocked himself out when he fell off his bike. When my husband asked him why he hadn't called him to pick him up, he said he didnt want to bother anybody :roll: It's one of life's ironies that those who don't want to be a bother often end up causing loved ones the most worry.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

This is risible stuff from Green.

"...the Tories overspent by £8.7 Billion on incapacity benefit..." which is £1.75 Billion a year.
How does she work this out? Incapacity Benefit has been phased out over time. There a very few claimants left on it. If she means ESA she should say so. This sort of inattention to detail in a shadow minister does not bode well for effective opposition.

"THEIR (my caps) disastrous Work Capability Assessment..." etc. Is she unaware that it was a Labour government that brought in ESA and the WCA? The Tories have happily worsened an already deeply flawed process, but to call this the Tories' assessment is going way too far.

"Ministers need to focus on providing tailored support.."etc. Well done, Kate! Of course they do. In January this year, after 5 years of steady erosion of Access To Work funding and the disappearance of DEAs from Jobcentres, not a peep from Green when it was reported that ATW changes had caused huge delays and cuts to existing support, let alone help for new claimants.

"Cutting benefits for those unable to work.....is punishing sick and disabled people for the Government's own failures". What does this even mean? This isn't about the "failures" of governments - successive ones, BTW, Ms.Green - but about the deliberate and systematic cruelty of removing support from people who need it and using spurious quasi-medical assessments to do it; it's about pretending that sick and dying people are capable of work; it's about a lot more than having a pop at the Tories for their "failures".

If she doesn't understand this, she has no business being a shadow minister for disabled people. If she is using the appalling treatment of ill people as a stick to beat the Tories with for party political point-scoring, it's disgraceful.

Green has confirmed that the ILF will stay closed under a Labour government (so far - after the election this could change); she has not issued any criticism AFAIK on the loss of skilled DEAs and the erosion of ATW; she has continually conflated illness with disability when they are discrete, as has Rachel Reeves; and has said before the GE that the policy on ESA and the WCA would involve little more than a more focus on what ill and/or disabled people could do rather than proper reform of the WCA, it's descriptors, and it's inherent unfairness.

It's no wonder that disability groups and campaigners have no confidence that she will improve things. I certainly don't.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:I see Cridland is having a pop at Corbyn. In doing so however (and note I am not a fan of Corbyn) Cridland has outed himself as an ignorant fuckwit with this gorgeous statement.
“We all know that household finances and government finances are the same. You can’t print money and borrow endlessly.

He's pinched Nick Clegg's refrain.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

& sorry if I was tetchy yesterday TE.

A couple of days of heavy rain induced cabin fever did not help my mood.
Have been able to do some garden chores today at least.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:Morning.

http://lartsocial.org/24hourcarpark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Talking about "parking"

The benefit system as a 24-hour carpark
That's good, well explained. Unfortunately, I believeTM IDS doesn't have the brains to understand it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Quelle surprise

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08 ... mg00000067
ScreenShot00685.jpg
ScreenShot00685.jpg (209.17 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

British finance minister George Osborne said on Monday he did not expect the slump in Chinese share prices, which has hit financial markets around the world, to pose a threat to Europe’s economy.

“I am reasonably confident, although I don’t think that we can be unaffected by what happens in China, I don’t think it’s going to cause immediate sharp problems in Europe,” Osborne said in response to a question from a reporter during a visit to Sweden.
Presumably 'subsequent blunt problems' are still a possibility, however :)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

TechnicalEphemera wrote:I see Cridland is having a pop at Corbyn. In doing so however (and note I am not a fan of Corbyn) Cridland has outed himself as an ignorant fuckwit with this gorgeous statement.
Just a craven propagandist for HM Government, as he has been throughout his pisspoor tenure. Not fit to clean the boots of some of his predecessors.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Smith should brush up on his copy of the Ministerial Code

"Ministers have a duty to Parliament to account,
and be held to account, for the policies, decisions and
actions of their departments and agencies ...

It is of paramount importance that Ministers give
accurate and truthful information to Parliament,
correcting any inadvertent error at the earliest
opportunity. Ministers who knowingly mislead
Parliament will be expected to offer their resignation to
the Prime Minister
"

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... y-2010.pdf
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tragedy is of course the desire of those sick/disabled people wishing to participate in the workplace,where previously denied ,and their battle for the necessary support/flexibility to do so has been appropriated by Governments as a means of control/punishment and political game playing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

L'art Social articles are by Declan Gaffney,former policy advisor to the last Labour Government (hopefully not a permanent "last")
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Damian McBride
‏@DPMcBride

Advice on the looming crash, No.1: get hard cash in a safe place now; don't assume banks & cashpoints will be open, or bank cards will work.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the live blog on the Guardian.
Can someone confirm for me that's genuinely from Damian McBride and not a lookalike account, please?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Five minutes ago:
A former adviser to Gordon Brown, UK prime minister during the 2007-08 crisis, reckons the Chinese stock market crash means catastrophic times are ahead.

Damian McBride warned that the next financial crisis will be worse than seven years ago, and urged followers to take action now.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... 434a2b0b07" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Use of fake quotes in benefits leaflet 'quite wrong', Iain Duncan Smith admits
Minister says withdrawn leaflet is now subject of investigation, and publishing case studies based on fictional people is not DWP policy

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ncan-smith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But it wasn't just fake quotes, was it IDS. It was fake people and scenarios - in more than one leaflet.

I don't believe a word he comes out with. Fake is the name of the game.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
Damian McBride
‏@DPMcBride

Advice on the looming crash, No.1: get hard cash in a safe place now; don't assume banks & cashpoints will be open, or bank cards will work.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the live blog on the Guardian.
Can someone confirm for me that's genuinely from Damian McBride and not a lookalike account, please?
Pretty sure that's the real Damian McBride.

I see there are a lot of people chipping in with responses ... much of them along this line
Angus Curran ‏@Anguscurran 1m1 minute ago
.@DPMcBride Have you been drinking Toilet Duck or something?
Working on the wild side.