Wednesday 26th August 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 25th August 2015

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Meanwhile, look what Tory bastards are up to:
Conservatives offer day of special access to ministers for £2,500
Those paying fee will get chance to meet more than 30 ministers, including David Cameron and George Osborne at party’s annual conference

Corporate executives and lobbyists are being offered the chance to pay £2,500 for a day of special access to Conservative ministers at the party’s annual conference, including George Osborne and David Cameron.

More than 30 ministers are being made available to paying guests at the Conservative party’s “business day” next month, which promises the opportunity for discussion with senior politicians. They include those responsible for business, tax and procurement.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... s-for-2500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah but Cameron's sorted out lobbying, right?
Cameron?
From the comments below this article it's that Corbyn fella wanting women in separate trains who's running this country & to blame for this horseshit.
It's so foul, so many lie and liars getting paid to write them, god damn it...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

gilsey wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
gilsey wrote: Why do some young men feel no fear when they're behind the wheel of a car? There was an accident 100 yards down the road last night, car came down the road too fast and couldn't make the right angle bend at the bottom. I didn't hear the crash but saw the blue flashing lights when the emergency services arrived, went out to speak to the policeman to make sure it wasn't mr gilsey, who was at the pub in the next village. One car, with 'some lads' in.
2 fire engines, 3 ambulances as well as the police.
Feeling sorry for the neighbours, who will no doubt have gone out to see if there was anything they could do, other than dial 999. Haven't seen them yet.

On a selfish note, there was an ambulance directly outside our house from midnight till nearly 1, with its blue lights flashing the whole time. Why?
Protocol requires emergency vehicles at the scene to continue lights as long as the team is on the spot.
We thought that was probably the case. Allowing a bit of discretion in quiet rural areas when the police are stopping the (minimal) through traffic anyway, would be nice.
I shall concentrate on feeling sympathy for the poor victims families and friends, a much more worthy sentiment. Hope they'll all pull through.

From what my husband's just said, I reckon they do feel fear. It's just that it's considered unmanly to show it, and so they take dreadful risks...

Doesn't make sense to me, but then I'm only a female....
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

citizenJA wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:That "Corbyn has policy of women-only carriages" is a classic of the "we must get a headline from everything no matter what" and sums up what an utterly dismal media we have.

Media distorts something > goads others to reply to misrepresentation > leads to further headline > media rubs its hands and thinks its doing its job by reporting it.
Yes I agree with all of that, but he was very unwise to say it for exactly those reasons. Which was my original head in hands moments.

He is going to have to stop proposing interesting ideas, because the media will jump on everything.

Even so that Perkins article is an absolute shocker. The sort of thing you expect from the Daily Hate. The racists banging on about segregation was of course sadly predictable, but they will always find some reason to bang on about Muslims.
(my bold)

Oh, jesus christ, TE!
Yes the country really is that sad. From now on everything he says will have to be carefully considered and calibrated.
Release the Guardvarks.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

11889642_10206267642841786_8946889322682982047_n.jpg
11889642_10206267642841786_8946889322682982047_n.jpg (21.48 KiB) Viewed 5042 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Conservatives offer day of special access to ministers for £2,500
Those paying fee will get chance to meet more than 30 ministers, including David Cameron and George Osborne at party’s annual conference

Corporate executives and lobbyists are being offered the chance to pay £2,500 for a day of special access to Conservative ministers at the party’s annual conference, including George Osborne and David Cameron.

More than 30 ministers are being made available to paying guests at the Conservative party’s “business day” next month, which promises the opportunity for discussion with senior politicians. They include those responsible for business, tax and procurement.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... s-for-2500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One of the few times I wish I was rich.

What I wouldn't give to be able to walk in and harangue them in my best fishwife's voice, before I got slung out.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Yes I agree with all of that, but he was very unwise to say it for exactly those reasons. Which was my original head in hands moments.

He is going to have to stop proposing interesting ideas, because the media will jump on everything.

Even so that Perkins article is an absolute shocker. The sort of thing you expect from the Daily Hate. The racists banging on about segregation was of course sadly predictable, but they will always find some reason to bang on about Muslims.
(my bold)

Oh, jesus christ, TE!
Yes the country really is that sad. From now on everything he says will have to be carefully considered and calibrated.
No. It isn't the country that's sad. It's those who, for one reason or another, don't want Corbyn to win....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TobyLatimer wrote:
Mr Ohso's grey haired, with a beard and looks ten years younger than he is [no wrinkles sod it!] He'd love to get mistaken for Corbyn.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
One of the few times I wish I was rich.

What I wouldn't give to be able to walk in and harangue them in my best fishwife's voice, before I got slung out.
Maybe you'd make it in.
They'll vet everyone, regardless of wealth or political party affiliation.
The Tory party use security forces at all times.
They have to.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Oh go on then another anecdote but one that does have political connotations. Earlier I said how independent kids were in days of yore, now excepting institutional abuse and what may have occurred behind closed doors we were a lot safer than today, I can remember without a shadow of doubt catching a bus at eight years of age unaccompanied apart from my brother, 7, to meet our mother at work in the centre of Birmingham some ten miles or more away. Of course the friendly bus conductor looked out for us and told us the stop to alight. Passengers too, mainly ladies were also looking out for us.

Which brings me onto Corbyn's suggestion of women only carriages for their safety. What is really needed is more personnel to look after passenger interests. Of course that shall never be with privatised services more concerned with low paid staff, shareholder dividends, CEO and and management avarice. Remember I recently mentioned that ten peoples livelihoods were less important than speculation after bank deregulation and that was only one example.

Going out again so shall catch up with your posts later.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:
Mr Ohso's grey haired, with a beard and looks ten years younger than he is [no wrinkles sod it!] He'd love to get mistaken for Corbyn.
I remember your pics on the old site. Remember thinking what a good looking couple you made.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

European stock markets are down again.
Global environmental, political, social conditions will have to be addressed.
That is reality.
Nothing will make reality go away.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Afternoon tea/coffee is served.

Choc cake, fruit cake, shortbread or whatever you fancy.

Available for Brownites, Blairites, Cooperites, Burnhamites, Corbynites, Lucasites, all welcome.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Yes I agree with all of that, but he was very unwise to say it for exactly those reasons. Which was my original head in hands moments.

(my bold)
Oh, jesus christ, TE!
I understand; Ed Miliband did that beautifully, as Labour party leader.
Didn't matter, media helped make sure their Tory owners took the GE.
Global conditions are spiraling past a point of control powerful interests are currently maintaining, I think.
It doesn't matter what Corbyn says or not, TE.
Corbyn is doing okay, he won't get an easier time regardless.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Afternoon tea/coffee is served.

Choc cake, fruit cake, shortbread or whatever you fancy.

Available for Brownites, Blairites, Cooperites, Burnhamites, Corbynites, Lucasites, all welcome.
You're brilliant, yahyah!
Thank you!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
citizenJA wrote:(my bold)

Oh, jesus christ, TE!
No. It isn't the country that's sad. It's those who, for one reason or another, don't want Corbyn to win....
Which would be the entire UK media bar The Mirror and The Morning Star. Unfortunately they still provide the filter through which people see the world. So messaging (TM) has to be carefully presented to stop them corrupting it.
Release the Guardvarks.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:That "Corbyn has policy of women-only carriages" is a classic of the "we must get a headline from everything no matter what" and sums up what an utterly dismal media we have.

Media distorts something > goads others to reply to misrepresentation > leads to further headline > media rubs its hands and thinks its doing its job by reporting it.
Yes I agree with all of that, but he was very unwise to say it for exactly those reasons. Which was my original head in hands moments.

You don't mean PeterCS, do you?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Yes the country really is that sad. From now on everything he says will have to be carefully considered and calibrated.
Which would be the entire UK media bar The Mirror and The Morning Star. Unfortunately they still provide the filter through which people see the world. So messaging (TM) has to be carefully presented to stop them corrupting it.
Yes.
Please see my earlier response to you.
I don't think it'll matter what Corbyn or anyone else challenging media hegemony say or don't.
They'll all get abuse from media.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Mensch has to put her oar in.

No cake for her.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Back and for no other reason than to put a smile on one or two faces, talking of ten or twelve mile bus journeys my brother, a friend in his class and myself used to bus to school on public transport. One evening we were stuck for some considerable time in snow so what did we do? The three of us went to the front of the bus and completely unrehearsed broke into song and dance routines, a touch of the old tap too. Amongst the ditties that we performed was 'When You're Smiling'. We went down a storm. The driver below kept banging his roof in annoyance but that just added a further percussive element.

'And now I've forgotten what else I was going to say; it may or may not come to me. In the meantime some thanks. A tip especially when the site is slow yet still you wish to thank. Do not click Return, use the Back Page button. Oh yes it's come to me now. I was looking at the phpBB site and fora yesterday because of this very point as just one example, there is no need for redirection after thanking someone so I was looking at the developer fora and pages. Profile pages such as those in the G were also on my mind.

I think I may return to the AS blog if for no other reason than to use such facility even if I do read less of what transpires btl. Besides he has reappeared occasionally and no doubt shall do so when parliament reconvenes. Sorry peeps I know I should engage with helping toward the site, something I didn't do in the past as feeling unreliable; I'm generally a man of my word and didn't want to let anyone down. Now however I have become too busy when I ought to be thinking of retirement. Such is life.

Edit: corrected the plural of fora. I wouldn't want Boris and the Lord Chancellor after me now, would I?
Last edited by utopiandreams on Wed 26 Aug, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

yahyah wrote:Image

No cake for her.
What does she mean - "not on my watch"?

She's an ex-MP who lives in the US - how exactly does she have any influence on anything in the UK at all?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

The Cooper and Kendall outrage over Corbyn has a whiff of desperation. SegregateGate anyone? :toss:
Call me juvenile but there's a certain headgirl element that winds me up. I know (as usual) this is not serious political analysis, but my crassness represents a realistic view of how many people vote (I manage to overcome it, but it doesn't alter my initial kneejerk reaction).
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

FTSE 100
closed

London stock market falls

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/business" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Today's close.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

We may moan about the state of our politics but hopefully one thing has changed for the better.

Reading about Tory Harvey Proctor, he sat on the Monday Club's Immigration & Repatriation Committee.

Repatriation. Don't think even UKIP have gone that far.
Last edited by yahyah on Wed 26 Aug, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

No cake for her.
What does she mean - "not on my watch"?

She's an ex-MP who lives in the US - how exactly does she have any influence on anything in the UK at all?
A world making people like Mensch and their ridiculous outpourings so prominent is tragic.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear...in a reply to Mensch's tweet about Corbyn...

Should the UK introduce women-only train carriages?

http://www.virgin.com/travel/should-the ... -carriages
The UK could be the next country to introduce women-only carriages, if one MP gets her way.
Oh.

And the MP is?
According to the British Transport Police, there were 1,117 incidents of sexual offences on public transport between March 2013 and March 2014. This has led Transport Minister Claire Perry to declare that she is “absolutely determined” to do something about it.
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I commuted into central London from a teenager until I was thirty one years old.

Would not be able to have kept a tally of the number of gropes, attempts at frottage and ...er...perky manhoods pushed against my person during those years. It sometimes seemed as if the Picadilly & Victoria lines were Perv Central.

I got used to carrying a collapsible umbrella whatever the weather, it came in very handy for a swift slap to aforementioned appendages.

& thankfully, that was before the wonders of modern technology, mobile phones used to take up skirt, down cleavage pics of unsuspecting women.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Safe seats should be abolished to modernise '19th century political system', says think tank
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 71615.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's all well and good, rr2 (i've stopped calling you rebecca since your namesake's return, not that I've noticed her since) but take the following...
The Conservatives needed only 34,244 votes for each seat they won in May; compared to 40,290 for Labour; 25,972 for the Scottish National Party; 301,986 for the Liberal Democrats; 1.16m for the Greens and 3.88m for Ukip.
That has nothing at all to do with gerrymandering or constituency size but with PR. I think the major difficulty with PR is that it breaks the constituency link but somehow I still feel party executives are required, it's crazy that ministers' or their shadows' seats are subject to electoral whims, assuming they know their respective fields unlike our typical cabinet postholders, which is quite frankly nonsensical. I cannot think of one worthy of their post, not saying there aren't of course but they do seem in the minority.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

yahyah wrote:I commuted into central London from a teenager until I was thirty one years old.

Would not be able to have kept a tally of the number of gropes, attempts at frottage and ...er...perky manhoods pushed against my person during those years. It sometimes seemed as if the Picadilly & Victoria lines were Perv Central.

I got used to carrying a collapsible umbrella whatever the weather, it came in very handy for a swift slap to aforementioned appendages.

& thankfully, that was before the wonders of modern technology, mobile phones used to take up skirt, down cleavage pics of unsuspecting women.
Tech is a double edged sword for pervs though. If everybody has a camera then such behaviour can also be recorded and handed over as evidence.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ye gads that Oborne piece on China and our dodgy economy is scary.

Even worse it got me looking at other stories in the Mail that I now wish I hadn't seen.

The alleged but denied but also confirmed - former Green councillor (but not a member of the party apparently) who is a prolific wild animal killer and trophy hunter. What a nasty piece of work he comes over as regardless of any party affiliations or party non affiliations.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -Lion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then a former (i.e. just resigned) Ukip candidate in Wales who has posted such vile stuff - immigrants should be gassed like badgers - it beggars belief. That this man is a candidate for any party in Wales is horrifying ... he's says he's going to stand as an Independent now.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dgers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never mind politicians who care about women's safety on public transport - that doesn't concern me at all - people who do and think these kind of things really worry me.
Working on the wild side.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Crikey, I spoke too soon when I said I didn't think even UKIP were suggesting repatriation.

'UKIP drops candidate who suggested immigrants be 'gassed' '
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-poli ... ws_central" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lucky folk of Caerphilly can now vote for him as an Independent.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Snap RR !
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:I commuted into central London from a teenager until I was thirty one years old.

I remember it used to be common practice and advice amongst women to make sure you sat in a carriage close to the guard / train manager's compartment - or behind the drivers cab - when I was younger. And also to try and make sure you sat in a carriage where there were other women / several passengers rather than a lone man for example.

And yes, yahyah, the groping / flashing / harrassment factor on transport was one of the reasons why I decided to only take jobs that I could walk or cycle to in my last 10 years in London. Never regretted that decision.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@pk1

Please don't leave or anyone else for that matter. Granted feelings can run high, all the more on fora and social media, especially when it comes to politics. What is it they say, never speak of religion and politics? Yet (the Lord Chancellor scolds me yet again) here we all are doing exactly that. May I ask that we all move on if feeling annoyed by another's post, we would not get into a slanging match face to face... unless they're a Tory as I found out myself only last week.

Now behave the lot of you! I feel able to say this having been reappointed Whip.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

What a horrible thing to have happen, yahyah.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

citizenJA wrote:

What a horrible thing to have happen, yahyah.

Thanks CJA. It was horrible at the time, can imagine it is no better now.

Tube carriages were full to bursting at rush hour. You were packed like sardines which is what the pervs took advantage of.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It's been said before 1000 times but I don't think Corbyn is popular here. He is simply the most likely to bring change to a party which very badly needs it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love
cJA
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

250 steel jobs reported to be going at Tata's plant in south Wales, that's on top of over 700 jobs going in another area of production.

GMB say 'communities will be destroyed'.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

You HAVE to look at the vine attached to this tweet. (Don't know how to show a vine here ... is it possible?)

Is it just me or is it utterly hypnotic? Found it hard to break away from after a couple of repeats. And what's with the very very cute one on the far right ... ?
MARK GILBERT ‏@ScouseView 3h3 hours ago
The traders at Short-Term Capital Mismanagement deciding whether to buy some S&P #ETFs or not
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:You HAVE to look at the vine attached to this tweet. (Don't know how to show a vine here ... is it possible?)

Is it just me or is it utterly hypnotic? Found it hard to break away from after a couple of repeats. And what's with the very very cute one on the far right ... ?
MARK GILBERT ‏@ScouseView 3h3 hours ago
The traders at Short-Term Capital Mismanagement deciding whether to buy some S&P #ETFs or not
Here's the link: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't embed vines, only Youtube.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The one underneath is really cute too, cat and kitten on a slide.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

No cake for her.
Dear oh dear. That young lady needs help...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Thank you refitman. Where would we be, what would we do, without you? (To the tune by Nilsson. I already have my coat ...)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:

No cake for her.
Dear oh dear. That young lady needs help...
Perhaps a groundhog day - think Vine - spent entirely in a packed rush hour tube carriage shuffling between Bank station and Marble Arch on the central line on a very hot summer day with long pauses for a defective train in front pressed inbetween and up against lots of sweaty people who don't recognise her or even know who she is. That might quieten her down for a bit.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:The one underneath is really cute too, cat and kitten on a slide.
That's made me grin. Such silly simple things can be so entertaining.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Some good thoughts on what an actual leftwing economic programme might look like (not Corbynomics)

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/49454d12 ... z3jwceDTzq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
It's two kittens isn't it? As soon as mum gets the first one up another one slides down. One goes down backwards all the way and the other goes forwards before going backwards.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

frightful_oik wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
It's two kittens isn't it? As soon as mum gets the first one up another one slides down. One goes down backwards all the way and the other goes forwards before going backwards.
Now you've completely done my head in ... I thought they'd tinkered with it to make it loop like that. Your powers of observation are obviously greater than mine. I'll have to go and have another look.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

No cake for her.

Yes cake for her.

Definitely yes.

I made one all special, like. A carrot cake is what it is.

It is made from high-fibre brown flour, carrots (obvs), lots of spice, and a liberal quantity of senna.
The middle filling is made from butter with vanilla sugar, with just a smidgeon of arsenic.
The icing on the top is made from whipped sour cream, sugar, and another white powder.

The cake crumb acts as a purgative in the hope she'll shit on her own doorstep for a change.

The arsenic is, as any historian will tell you, very good for the complexion - and as she now has one made of rubber thanks to over-enthusiastic use of botulinium toxin (which sadly failed to poison anything other than her mind) she could use the help.

The sour cream is to match her oeuvre generally; and the white stuff is Colombian Marching Powder sprinkled liberally enough in the hope she will march to Colombia. And stay there.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi