Saturday 12th September

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Saturday 12th September

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

So it's here. Gulp.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 12th September

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Glad it is. It seems to have gone on for so long.

If Corbyn wins, I suspect part of the problem is with our modern Labour politicians.
Where is the depth, where is the sense of people with rounded personalities, where is the vision ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Looks like its just us Stephen.

Is everyone else cowering under their duvets trying to ignore it all or busy doing chores so they can sit down at 11 am as proceedings commence ?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

yahyah wrote:Looks like its just us Stephen.

Is everyone else cowering under their duvets trying to ignore it all or busy doing chores so they can sit down at 11 am as proceedings commence ?
I should be doing chores but figured I'd play with the dog instead!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Big today ahead - shopping first, then work on the thesis, listen to Orient play Cambridge later, might watch Last Night of the Proms this evening.

Anything else going on?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Big today ahead - shopping first, then work on the thesis, listen to Orient play Cambridge later, might watch Last Night of the Proms this evening.

Anything else going on?
Man United v Liverpool?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Good morning.

I am here for a short while - before trotting off to work. Will probably hear 'the announcement' as I'm driving. Better make sure I've had a decent breakfast before setting off. Wouldn't want to have a fainting fit as the disastrous end of the world as we know it arrives ....

If I could have a grandee and commentator filter fitted for the next 6 months - I'd do it. It's going to be very nerve wracking and wearing. Strap yourselves in well peeps.
Working on the wild side.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Day four of my abstinence and something to look forward to. I may have started preferring Andy of the four candidates but must say that Jeremy speaks of many of many ideal... let us hope that he does get rid of the party whip too; funny coming from me given my nominal position hear. It is something I take seriously by the way but not in the manner of telling you what you think, rather make up your own bloody mind but respect others for theirs.

Anyway, something to look forward to is of course the resultant leadership. Should either Jeremy or Andy win I shall likely join the Labour Party. I trust that either has a role for the other to play.

If you want grassroots influence then you had better join in and quite frankly I wouldn't mind meeting either of them. Not that I'm envious mind, I'd hate to be in their position with all the lies and hostility that the press may muster and throw at them. On the other hand I have absolutely nothing to lose so wouldn't really be averse to fucking over the likes of Dacre or McKenzie and/or condemning them for their hypocrisy. See I can say their names no matter my disgust.

Postscript: I see I am no longer the Party Whip. Go on Jeremy you can get rid of it now.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sat 12 Sep, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Some sense from a Welsh Labour Burnham supporter.

'' Blaenau Gwent AM Alun Davies, who backed Andy Burnham, said: "You can't fight an election and then complain about the result," claiming Mr Corbyn would have a "mandate to lead'' "

''Mr Davies, a former Welsh government minister, told BBC Wales: "If Jeremy Corbyn wins, he wins; he's got a mandate to lead and we have to respect that. It's time to move on."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-poli ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Anyone up for predictions, vote share, rounds needed to win etc ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:

Anything else going on?
Man United v Liverpool?
Mr Riots is delighted by an unintended bonus for him of my wanting to watch some of the US Open tennis. I bought a weeks pass for Now TV sports as a treat for myself (and to cope with any difficult insomniac nights) and he will get to watch this splendid match as a result. He announced with some sense of occasion that he had downloaded Firefox in readiness .... just hoping we don't get a break in our internet service which spoils everything.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

Anything else going on?
Man United v Liverpool?
Mr Riots is delighted by an unintended bonus for him of my wanting to watch some of the US Open tennis. I bought a weeks pass for Now TV sports as a treat for myself (and to cope with any difficult insomniac nights) and he will get to watch this splendid match as a result. He announced with some sense of occasion that he had downloaded Firefox in readiness .... just hoping we don't get a break in our internet service which spoils everything.

I don't want to ruin your day RR but we've got contractors up our lanes at the moment putting in conduit for a broadband update sometime reasonably soon.

The only thing that worries us is that the work will stop just before our gate, and the neighbour's up the path.

Presume whatever they send through the conduits [fibre ?] is connected to the telegraph pole at the end and then works along your telephone wires. Or summat like that.
Last edited by yahyah on Sat 12 Sep, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@StephenDolan

I note that today may be busy, is this perchance the reason it only be Saturday, Stephen, and not the weekend. Probably not a bad idea as it happens.

@howsillyofme1

Thanks for not letting me have the last word. Even then my internet connection, or is it CCHQ (?), may have been more to blame.

@LadyCentauria

Following on from Friday's thread, even then I had forgotten to thank you for your concern, LadyC. Ironically I used to be a very frequent visitor to the doctors, but it was never about me. I'm sure I've mentioned my absolute favourite doctor in the whole wide world who always asked after me with some concern. Perhaps I shouldn't go there as nothing untoward ever happened, honest, but I would sometimes think of her in the shower.

Too much information? Fuck it, you can call me whatever the hell you like!

@TheRestofYou

Good morning and should you be a lurker then haven't you any thoughts? Speaking for myself I experience all the self doubt and timidity as the next guy. It's just my knowing I am not alone.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

utopiandreams wrote:@StephenDolan

I note that today may be busy, is this perchance the reason it only be Saturday, Stephen, and not the weekend. Probably not a bad idea as it happens.

@howsillyofme1

Thanks for not letting me have the last word. Even then my internet connection, or is it CCHQ (?), may have been more to blame.

@LadyCentauria

Following on from Friday's thread, even then I had forgotten to thank you for your concern, LadyC. Ironically I used to be a very frequent visitor to the doctors, but it was never about me. I'm sure I've mentioned my absolute favourite doctor in the whole wide world who always asked after me with some concern. Perhaps I shouldn't go there as nothing untoward ever happened, honest, but I would sometimes think of her in the shower.

Too much information? Fuck it, you can call me whatever the hell you like!

@TheRestofYou

Good morning and should you be a lurker then haven't you any thoughts? Speaking for myself I experience all the self doubt and timidity as the next guy. It's just my knowing I am not alone.
LOL, yes that's what happens when the coffee hasn't been drunk yet.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: Man United v Liverpool?

I don't want to ruin your day RR but we've got contractors up our lanes at the moment putting in conduit for a broadband update sometime reasonably soon.

The only thing that worries us is that the work will stop just before our gate, and the neighbour's up the path.

Presume whatever they send through the conduits [fibre ?] is connected to the telegraph pole at the end and then works along your telephone wires. Or summat like that.
Our 'fast' or 'faster' internet service is beamed wirelessly to us. A big mast in Ferwig broadcasts the signal - ours is bounced to a little receiver on the roof of our house from Mr Griffiths' farm across the valley. Theoretically and hopefully nothing the contractors do at the bottom of your lane should be able to affect it. Lots of other things might though!

Edited to put the reply in the right place....
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Sat 12 Sep, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

See you later.

Have just remembered we invited a Lib Dem pal to pop in if he's around for the result, as his wife is away. Will have to have a bit of a scrub up to look presentable.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

yahyah wrote:Looks like its just us Stephen.

Not I, yahyah, but CCHQ seemed determined that I should not have a bad word to say of their Fishpointer General to coin one of ephe's terms. Sod it didn't I say I wouldn't implicate her should they come a-calling? So I eventually gave up and had a shower before plumber calls. I should point out that I had nobody else in mind btw, well nothing like that.

I've also been sorting through stuff and there was a white, now yellow baby bath in an ex-hot water tank cupboard absolutely full of old medicines and lady stuff. Which reminds me after my wife's stroke and my daughter approaching puberty I used to have to purchase the like. if I got inquiring looks depending on my confidence of the moment I may sometimes have suggested that yes I do have a problem and am always shitting myself. I would however then make it clear that I wasn't being serious.

Talking of my daughters puberty, I did get nurses in twice a week and more during that time of month to shower her. Ordinarily I would wash her hair over the bath and then leave her to it, but this was different and although there was nothing untoward I was concerned that it seemed inappropriate, as would my wife. Remember we have both been sexually abused by our respective fathers.

Changing the subject, am I allowed to cheer for Jeremy? I want Andy as Health Minister.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@StephenDolan

I trust that is not a euphemism. Behave, utopian, this is a politics blog. Still flying btw; crash and burn cannot be too distant.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

StephenDolan wrote:... Man United v Liverpool?
Thank God, Steve, something else to attract my attention. May I call you Steve? I might see if my eldest is watching it. I used to take my lads and several of their mates to Old Trafford... and me a Liverpool fan too.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

yahyah wrote:See you later.

Have just remembered we invited a Lib Dem pal to pop in if he's around for the result, as his wife is away. Will have to have a bit of a scrub up to look presentable.
Why bother, yahyah? Don't spruce yourself up, he's probably an old stick in the mud. Have you nothing for recycling? That'll do nicely.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Healey MP ‏@JohnHealey_MP 12m12 minutes ago
Just got to labour leadership conference...whoever wins will have been properly nominated (by us as MPs), and legitimately elected

John Healey MP ‏@JohnHealey_MP 4m4 minutes ago
Tribute to all four labour leader candidates, we've put them through four relentless months of contest
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeremy Hunt’s ‘24/7’ plan for the NHS proves it – he should be sacked
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

utopiandreams wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:... Man United v Liverpool?
Thank God, Steve, something else to attract my attention. May I call you Steve? I might see if my eldest is watching it. I used to take my lads and several of their mates to Old Trafford... and me a Liverpool fan too.
Stephen, Steve, I answer to a lot of names! I won't manage to watch the game but will be sweating on the result. Don't know why, given our awful record there recently. Sods law De Gea has a blinder.
As for the tennis, the men's looks like a cracking final, both on peak form.

Anyway, back to the politics...
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

[youtube]LER3gZRxEnE[/youtube]
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

[youtube]pTBq82VRAJE[/youtube]
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Morftereveninoon all...

Firstly, my contribution to the 'Return to the Post-War Consensus' picnic (or at the very least, a recognition that many many people have never had the wool pulled over their eyes with regard to the theft of public assets, the destruction of functioning efficient public services and the sheer idiocy of the (banker & politician designed) financial system) is a star-shaped beetroot cake and some redbush tea from South Africa ('cos, of course, as every good Marxist knows, proper tea is theft).

My own anecdotal evidence wrt Corbyn has been only positive - Labour party members and others (including one of the very few Tories I talk to) have asked, within 5 minutes....'so,what about Corbyn then?' with a smile - even to the extent of one person stating loudly that she will join the Labour Party now anyway (never having been political before, but as she put it, a 'natural Labour supporter'), irrespective of who wins.

All this talk of 'this policy isn't popular with 'the public' so Labour WILL NOT be elected' misses the point in my view. The evidence is out there to fully support the position that the 'media' message has been manipulated to the advantage of the political class for a minimum of 36 years....by way of example....

Although a career civil servant, Ingham gained a reputation for being a highly effective propagandist for the Thatcherite cause. The phrase spin doctor did not enter common parlance until after his retirement, but he was nevertheless a gifted exponent in what came to be known as the "black arts" of spin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Ingham (Also, not sure if Clouncy remembered him or 'Little Willy' (Vague) when talking of Yorkshire 'hate' and 'greatest living Yorkshiremen')...for my part, I'm very lucky that my employers are based in the Peoples Republic of Yorkshire :)

Who can forget this, from Hack Attack -

And yet, any intruder who imagines it is the power of Rebekah Brooks that is being stated here today has entirely missed the point. She is merely an avatar. It may not be immediately obvious, but the man with the real power is the elderly gentleman, aged 78, with the avuncular smile and the clumsily dyed orange hair, chatting quietly in the crowd. He is entirely undistinguished in this gathering, but it is he who has raised Rebekah up the ladder of her ambition, and it is his presence that makes the simple, central statement to the members of this power elite: “You need to be here.” He is one of a small global group who have reached that special position where they are commonly identified simply by a first name. It may be Rebekah’s wedding, but this is Rupert’s day. Since 1979, no British government has been elected without the support of Rupert Murdoch.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/j ... CMP=twt_gu

...and don't forget, the super soaraway sack'o'sh*te proudly trumpeted (in its' editorial) that they (The Scum) had provided the 'intelligence' for the drone strikes (which, apparently, are now 'supported' by the 'vast majority' of people)....but they may have other worries - did anyone notice Andy Burnham reporting them to IPSO wrt the 'cash for access' splash from Repukekakakah?....on the front of the Graun the very same morning? I think (nay, f*** it, if there's a day for hope to return, it's today!) hope that the world is a very different place to the one the flame haired harpy left 4 years ago...especially if Labour continue with pressure about Leveson (see above, Burnham & IPSO)...

...and as for the 'glum faces at Labour HQ' following Sadiq Khans victory, don't forget this about the slimy oleaginous t***...

What was perhaps just as predictable as the agenda brought to last Wednesday’s lobby event hosted by campaigning group Hacked Off by Alex “Billy Liar” Wickham, newly anointed teaboy to the perpetually thirsty Paul Staines at the Guido Fawkes blog, was the credulous behaviour of those taking Wickham’s “story” at face value, despite what happened having been caught on audio, which disproved it.

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... lpers.html

I'm getting the feeling that all the sh*t they've thrown at Corbyn (and the others, but in this case, mostly Corbyn) is because they really cannot understand or cognitively recognise what he stands for. The economic 'orthodoxy' can't compute someone not in thrall to the bigbusinessmoneybanksmediamessagebigmediabusinesscan'tupsetbigmediabusinesskeeppretendingfinancialsystemmakessense mindset...so I don't think they're quite sure what the target is....and this...

The notorious east Belfast home is not being looked at as part of a wider Westminster inquiry, however Mr Corbyn has called for what happened there to be fully investigated.
He said there should not be cover-ups for prominent figures.
“I think there is a case for saying there has to be a standing commission to investigate this,” said Jeremy Corbyn.
“The trauma that victims of childhood sexual abuse go through – and they carry it with them for the rest of their lives – has to be dealt with.

http://www.u.tv/News/2015/08/06/Corbyn- ... tion-42505

just reinforces, 1) he's not like the others, and 2) why the establishment are quite so jittery....and again, as usual, I'd like to apologise - I didn't want to say much about 'you know what' that's happening at 11am or the candidates, but have failed dismally :roll:

(and I hope ('kin ada - there it is again :o ) the new avatar is suitable, YahYah)

Today I will be mostly making a massive effort to come back in here again....TTFN
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

HindleA wrote:Morning

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeremy Hunt’s ‘24/7’ plan for the NHS proves it – he should be sacked
I mistook that for Andy Burnham, A, No my eyes are not that bad, not yet anyway. I can only assume because of my earlier thoughts of his being Health Secretary. Now I have opened it in Chrome, where I'm automatically logged in. I have thanked you now and shall read at some point.

Cheers. Now when is that match? Must finish off here first.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@TobyLatimer

Cheers, Tobes, what's another 23 minutes of my life?
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@Lonewolfie

Perhaps it is you that I should now call гражданка, Wolfie, and not our other good friend.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RobertSnozers wrote:No, this is helping, really. And not in incredibly poor taste or anything.
Mike Gapes ‏@MikeGapes
Thought for the day. Parliament may have rejected Assisted Suicide yesterday. But Labour will restore it for political parties today.
That's a Labour MP btw
Like most of these "jokes", it was done by somebody else previously anyway :roll:

Anyway, people are now arriving at the result venue and there are rumours sweeping around that his favoured candidate - Liz Kendall - has actually done it! Shock of our times........

.........only joking :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Woman in Wigan, on BBC TV News, saying that she's spoken to former Labour voters (who voted Conservative at the last election) who say that they will return to Labour in the wake of a Jeremy Corbyn victory.

What?
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Speaking of гражданка and my sometimes calling her JA. Perhaps I should use, 'Ja'. Das ist übrigens auch etwas deutsch. Warum habe ich denken, "Ich bin ein Berliner".
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Anything else going on?
Morning all. 10.50am, coverage starts of the Cross-Country day of the European Eventing Championship from Blair Castle on the BBC Red Button - until about 4pm. They might have video on the BBC Sport website or the app, too. I hope the rain clears earlier than expected, up there, and that they haven't had to alter the course because of it. Good luck to the GB Team and Individuals, horses and riders alike!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just in case you're not all already aware, Sadiq Khan is to give a speech at the opening of the results "do" (in 10 minutes, or so).

Edited

To insert an "is". Apologies for lapsing into telegraphese.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 12 Sep, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Ready and waiting, that's Beeb 2 btw even if it does still apply to the plumber. The Angy Taxi driver, is that what he's called (?), shall have to wait too.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@PorFavor

You have far more finesse than I, PF.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

So much for those rumours banded about in recent days of a lowish turnout - over 76% of those eligible voted in the Labour leadership contest.

A full 10 points up on the GE.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Norman Smith. Just fuck off.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My thoughts exactly.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Morning all. On tenterhooks, but I think it'll be a cakewalk for Corbyn. Hope all decide to debate policy civilly and within party walls rather than throwing their toys out of the pram.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Morning all,

Not long now thankfully!
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

So far so good. Also heard from the plumber btw. His van's broken down again so tomorrow morning - just another day, besides I'll probably be watching the Andrew Marr Show. He called me pal after my response so maybe, just maybe I shall speak of politics albeit he be self-employed. He's local so probably safe territory even if we do have a Tory MP with a larger waistband, sorry I meant majority!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

BBC like wtf?!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Why is the BBC announcing the result before it's been announced?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

To all you Labour members. Welcome Home! It's the same space in the carpark and you can pick up your lunch vouchers and copy of Marx at recepetion.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Willow904 wrote:Why is the BBC announcing the result before it's been announced?
That is just ridiculous.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Half a mill. Impressive with over four hundred grand voting.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

StephenDolan wrote:Norman Smith. Just fuck off.
And Stephen Nolan, (that's Nolan to be clear), on 5Live.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

My only prediction is that we will have an occasional visitor pop his head in just to say hello. I'd be very surprised if he manages to resist the urge...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I missed the Beeb giving results maybe paying attention to the plumber, thank God. Tom Watson for deputy; he probably doesn't need my help giving Murdoch a good kicking.