Wednesday 23rd September 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Wednesday 23rd September 2015

Post by utopiandreams »

I resisted the temptation to read the next instalment on Dave's thorough unsuitability for office and quite pleased that I did. After three hours in bed including drop-off and arousal time I decided on some pain-killers for my nose and throat, have I never mentioned my back still plays me up? Anyway two more hours in bed and yes I slept the bulk of them.

So another day and another episode, albeit yesterday's was just a bit of fun. Nevertheless I shall not be satisfied should the powers that be just laugh this off and neither must we. Gather the horses and unleash the hounds I wish to see them roundly chased out of town. Of course I speak not of only the pig-fucker, not that I have anything particularly against drugs but I include Georgie Boy and his predilection for powdering his nose. May I include their Little Englander Boudicca who despises the rest of the world, the pusillanimous batman too, who only shows courage when doing his masters' bidding and kicking those who cannot fight back. Jeremy may no longer be synonymous with rhyming slang but deserves tearing apart for his lies and attacks on the NHS, there's even a little Fox fidgeting on the benches in plain view who still pops up from time to time.

Fifty shades of Grayling, Soubry taking centre stage too. Centre stage? Surely not, I seem to have forgotten the Priti one so full of herself she cannot see. You'd think I were still asleep so vile is this nightmare; the real nightmare is that I'm wide awake and have barely begun. Give me a minute and I'm sure there is more, but no enough is enough I feel I have made my point.

Of course I forget a fat Johnson whose only appearance in Oriental shorts were the wrong way around. So hasty was he to pull them up that he'd forgotten which way he was facing in the company of his Chinese friends. How much more can he and his buddies give away? 'And Lord preserve us from the ennobled one.

Now what does the next episode hold in store? Oops sorry and a good morning to you all.

Postscript: I've saved this for later posting at the G under the filename, 'Cutting to the Chase'. 'And another good morning to you all... and another coffee for the next instalment I think. Btw, do Americans have another spelling of' instalment'? Apparently so.

Late edit: replaced 'God' with 'Lord'... and replace 'bring out' with 'unleash'
Last edited by utopiandreams on Wed 23 Sep, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 23rd September 2015

Post by utopiandreams »

Oh well I popped over to the G to add my thoughts to Steve Bell's masterpiece but sadly it is closed for comment. Perhaps they haven't gained sufficient staff for its moderation. Anyway shall post them here whether or not I may do so later over there. Something along the lines of...

Allow me a word in your King Lear before Tories come along to put theirs into your mouths.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning.
Nice criticises ‘flying home care visits’ as short as five minutes
Government advisers want care workers to spend at least half an hour with vulnerable people but admits council budget cuts are an obstacle

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... ve-minutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In its first ever guidance on social care, Nice says that contracts that local councils in England sign with social care providers should allow workers time to provide a good-quality service, including having enough time to talk to the person and their carer, and to travel between appointments.

“They should also ensure that workers have time to do their job without being rushed or compromising the dignity or wellbeing of the person who uses services,” said Nice. Workers help clients with getting up, eating, washing, dressing, taking medication and other key tasks.

The shakeup is designed to end what older people’s charities, and the Labour party, have called the scandal of “flying care visits”.

Its advice won praise from organisations that help older and disabled people, but Nice also admitted the bleak outlook for social care funding, which has fallen in recent years as a result of councils having their budgets cut by an average of 40%, reduced the chances of their advice being implemented.
Well then it's pretty much just 'nice' words isn't it? Everybody pretty much knew this is required. Tempting to say 'what's the point?'. But that would sound too cynical and callous.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Boris Johnson 'got £90million from George Osborne in exchange for not making mischief' book claims
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/boris-john ... _Story1-12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Posting this for Citizen JA as she has concerns about asthma and pollution related matters.

It seems the pollution may be as bad in the house as out, one of the issues may be lack of ventilation due to energy efficiency home improvements.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... sen-asthma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just like the pig incident, who hasn't asked a foreign power's security forces to score for them ?

Rite of passage, innit ;) We all did it, that's what the Tory defenders in the meeja will be saying.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/da ... gb-6496620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Farron will signal that he is prepared to go back into coalition with the Tories as he mounts a firm defence of Nick Clegg’s record in government, in his first party conference address as leader of the Liberal Democrats.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ries-clegg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tim Farron will signal that he is prepared to go back into coalition with the Tories as he mounts a firm defence of Nick Clegg’s record in government, in his first party conference address as leader of the Liberal Democrats.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ries-clegg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It seems my response to Steve Bell was perhaps a little prescient.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I don't know what you do about the conveyer belt mentality in social care,whereby speed and numbers provide bragging rights.Direct payments,where you directly employ someone were a way we happened to do this.That of course though is predicated on a sufficient budget for needs and taking on responsibilities not all want to do.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I wish Andrew would hurry up and open his blog today. I really, really want a smoke so need to do something else for a bit rather than waiting impatiently to make my cutting post.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Would you believe that I have a story about care in the community? Some years back my next door neighbour, previously a fiercely independent trucker who was widowed with two lads to bring up alone, was confined to his bed or wheelchair. So dissatisfied was he with the minimum care that he received, apart from his feelings of indignity for changing nappies and hasty bed-baths from so many different people that he never learned to trust, that he asked for my assistance and volunteered to pay.

Unfortunately I had my own hands full with my own disabled daughter and wife, not to mention two healthy lads, plus unbeknown to most of my neighbours I also worked. I did of course pop round regularly to help in other ways as did his youngest and only surviving son. Apart from 15 minutes morning and night he was otherwise left alone... plus meals on wheels I think. 'And this was Derbyshire one of the better counties for such provision and before Tory cuts of this and the last government. Thankfully in some regards he has not had to witness them.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Bell's If cartoon raises a laugh too.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... n-up-santa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's just a relief after the last few weeks to see the focus on parties other than Labour.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

If only there was a PMQs this week ...
11836825_1140290845999213_1307593529944205533_n.jpg
11836825_1140290845999213_1307593529944205533_n.jpg (36.95 KiB) Viewed 9887 times
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@TE

I just wonder why you think Labour people who have raised complaints to the NEC about Danzcuk are muppets and their motion 'braindead' ?
Do you have inside knowledge on what is going on that you can share, to show why they are?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TobyLatimer wrote:If only there was a PMQs this week ...

Next week's could start with 'Bill from Essex is going to Russia on his hols. Does Mr Cameron have any tips on how to score some dope in Moscow ?'

:lol: my drug lingo is 40 years out of date. Please update as required.
Last edited by yahyah on Wed 23 Sep, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

I'm going to turn off from the swine incident now, funny as it is - it's too distracting from what we should be concerned about. Boris Johnsons ultimate dead cat theory.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Anyone going to the Labour conference next week ?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Babe 3, The Oxford Years:
"David Cameron, His part in my Dough Hole"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... sociations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On social housing, Tory ideology trumps all evidence
Peter Hetherington
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... d-montague" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Housing association chief: ‘2.5m homes built – we’re doing a good job’
David Montague, head of one of the biggest housing associations, defends his sector against attacks from the government
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Oh Cruddas, please don't go down the Clarke and Straw route, it achieves nothing positive.

Morning all btw.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just had a quick meeting with our branch secretary and, as I was unable to go to our last meeting, asked her how people were generally feeling about Corbyn's win. Positive was her response. There was a general recognition that real change was needed and the other candidates had failed to offer that. She said that some key people who had been supporters of Yvette had expressed their disappointment in her campaign. We've also had some Green voters and former members join. Good signs I believe.

Editing to add: Oh and they had hoped that Yvette would accept a position in the SC (her supporters here) and were disappointed by her stance on that.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Wed 23 Sep, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

tinybgoat wrote:Babe 3, The Oxford Years:
"Toff on Swine, Toff on the Carcass of Swine"
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Toby or not Toby, that is the question or rather would you allow your kids to be schooled by the Young one?
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Apologies for my manners - Good morning all.
As an aside, I wonder how the other EEC leaders will be able to keep a straight face when Our Glorious Pig F**ker General (sorry ephe) stands up & tries to be statesman-like at today's summit
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

yahyah wrote:

Next week's could start with 'Bill from Essex is going to Russia on his hols. Does Mr Cameron have any tips on how to score some dope in Moscow ?'

I wouldn't worry about the lingo, yahyah, unless of course you were told to head South to satisfy your urges.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Continuity Clegg: Farron starts the great Corbyn-inspired U-turn
http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/09 ... spired-u-t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

For the avoidance of doubt should anybody wonder how long it took, my 'Cutting to the Chase' was thrashed out with no preparation whatsoever, albeit my Napoleonic complex otherwise known as a Little Pickled Johnson did come after the main event.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

George Osborne, the chancellor, is still in China. As the Press Association reports, he has announced that Britain is giving £3m to a Premier League scheme to train a new generation of football stars in the country. Osborne said the funding, which will pay to train 5,000 coaches in the country, would “significantly increase” Chinese awareness of English football. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Thank goodness this problem is, at last, being addressed. It's long been a cause of enormous concern to me that the Chinese lack awareness of English football.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:
George Osborne, the chancellor, is still in China. As the Press Association reports, he has announced that Britain is giving £3m to a Premier League scheme to train a new generation of football stars in the country. Osborne said the funding, which will pay to train 5,000 coaches in the country, would “significantly increase” Chinese awareness of English football. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Thank goodness this problem is, at last, being addressed. It's long been a cause of enormous concern to me that the Chinese lack awareness of English football.
Indeed. And spare a thought for the premier league, with their multi billion pound TV deals. The taxpayer needs to assist.

Paging Matthew Elliott....
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

yahyah wrote:

Reminds me of the late, great Dave Allen on the subject whilst in New York. From about @3mins.55secs

[youtube]4IfoUM6a4bA[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:@TE

I just wonder why you think Labour people who have raised complaints to the NEC about Danzcuk are muppets and their motion 'braindead' ?
Do you have inside knowledge on what is going on that you can share, to show why they are?
One thing is for sure, it has naff all to do with "Corbynistas".

Not surprisingly, Danczuk has made plenty of local enemies (indeed, his selection was highly controversial)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

danesclose wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:Babe 3, The Oxford Years:
"Toff on Swine, Toff on the Carcass of Swine"

That is the best yet. Kudos, DC.

Sunday dinner chez SamCam could be a bit awkward.

Pulled pork, anyone?
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

So. Back from the hospital.

Mixed reviews. The bladder cancer is under control but Mr Ohso has to have six lots of chemo...They've given me instructions about making sure that when he pees he's careful not to contaminate the toilet or his clothes. I've got special instructions how to deal with it if he does.

And then, after the MRI body scan and saying it was clear, it turns out it wasn't. They have found a polyp in his bowel, so that has to be sorted first, then they'll do the chemo.

We're feeling a bit shell shocked.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Morning.

Posting this for Citizen JA as she has concerns about asthma and pollution related matters.

It seems the pollution may be as bad in the house as out, one of the issues may be lack of ventilation due to energy efficiency home improvements.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... sen-asthma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, for thinking of me, yahyah.
I do this too - I read or see something bringing one of you into my thoughts - it happens regularly.
My partner and I speak of contributors here as friends every bit as dear to us as friends we see often.

I keep a folder of documents, articles, scientific journal reports tagged with a single word to make it easy to find when I'm writing and require a source. That words is 'pollution'. Works well.

My siblings not currently living in the UK all suffer respiratory difficulties. I've never suffered from asthma. I'll never forget the helplessness and fear I felt watching my brother and sisters sometimes struggle for breath. While I don't suffer from respiratory aliments, I'm sensitive to a compromised atmosphere full of too much of what isn't good for people and other life. The right to breathe clean air is essential for us all.
From the article linked:
“Poor indoor air quality can have a negative effect on people’s health, including aggravating asthma,” said Dr Sotiris Vardoulakis, Public Health England’s’s head of environmental change. “While energy-efficient houses will help address climate change, it is important to ensure that adequate ventilation levels are maintained and indoor air pollution sources minimised to protect public health.”
Yes, I agree. It's my understanding an energy efficient home is also a well-ventilated home and houses fitted properly should provide those living in it clean air as well as warmth or cool.
“Poor indoor air quality is connected with a range of undesirable health effects, such as allergic and asthma symptoms, lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, airborne respiratory infections and cardiovascular disease,” says the report written by Awbi, who is professor of the built environment at Reading University’s school of construction management and engineering. “With the expected increase in airtightness for UK dwellings, it is anticipated that indoor air quality will generally become poorer, resulting in an increase in the number of cases of health symptoms related to poorer indoor environment quality.”
I'm concerned here because I'm not aware 'airtightness' is a fundamental requirement to making homes energy efficient. Awbi, the report's author, may be suggesting energy efficient homes and other buildings must be built properly. Energy efficiency and good ventilation are all part of the well-built home.
One last note, the following:
Awbi’s report was funded by Beama, a body which represents the UK’s electro-technical industry, which includes firms that install ventilation systems.
Some commentators below the line threw up their hands at this and declared the article shenanigans due to this commercial interest. I didn't and don't but I fear a future where we all need to rely on expensive ventilation systems in order to survive. No, thank you, fancy ventilation systems sound like accommodating polluters and ventures relying on selling us clean air we shouldn't have to pay to breath.
Enforce environmental legislation for a clean atmosphere.

Good-afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:So. Back from the hospital.

Mixed reviews. The bladder cancer is under control but Mr Ohso has to have six lots of chemo...They've given me instructions about making sure that when he pees he's careful not to contaminate the toilet or his clothes. I've got special instructions how to deal with it if he does.

And then, after the MRI body scan and saying it was clear, it turns out it wasn't. They have found a polyp in his bowel, so that has to be sorted first, then they'll do the chemo.

Please give my love to Mr Ohso.
Please accept my love to you, Ohso, you're in my thoughts.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

At least they seem to think it still *can* be treated, ohso. Best wishes to you and yours.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Anyone going to the Labour conference next week ?
My partner and I discussed it. Work prevents our attendance, unfortunately. We'd like to go.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Jeepers, everyone.
Sorry about the dissertation I posted up yonder.
Thank you for your patience with me.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

danesclose wrote:Apologies for my manners - Good morning all.
As an aside, I wonder how the other EEC leaders will be able to keep a straight face when Our Glorious Pig F**ker General (sorry ephe) stands up & tries to be statesman-like at today's summit
Agreed, yet I doubt it's much of a surprise to them.
The man's character precedes him.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

StephenDolan wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Indeed. And spare a thought for the premier league, with their multi billion pound TV deals. The taxpayer needs to assist.

Paging Matthew Elliott....
On behalf of Rafael Benitez and the Spanish exchequer, let me thank the British government for training kids to become premiership stars and move to pay income tax in Spain.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... d-montague

Housing association chief: ‘2.5m homes built – we’re doing a good job’
David Montague, head of one of the biggest housing associations, defends his sector against attacks from the government
Thank goodness.
David Orr's unabashed support of Tory policy in a CIF article yesterday was awful (link posted below).

http://www.theguardian.com/housing-netw ... ent-future" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:So. Back from the hospital.

:hug: :hug:
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I must say as an ex-LidDem, that apart from Tory appeasing rhetoric and/or anti-Labour talk, Tim's speech has not been too bad, although I felt disappointed that he did not mention the self-employed small business person when speaking of those they support, but then he did in his next sentence.

However and this is the crux of the matter, should LibDems ever resurface it shall take much longer than one or two terms following supporting the Tories in government. Furthermore they never shall as long as they have any soft words whatsoever for them. Better to acknowledge this and get behind Corbyn and actively engage with looking to the future. Tories are the enemy within. It is time we all drew together to kick them out.

Postscript: 'not been too bad' is perhaps an understatement, much of it has been very rousing particularly his disgust for Cameron even without the disclosures of the last few days.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

utopiandreams wrote:I must say as an ex-LidDem, that apart from Tory appeasing rhetoric and/or anti-Labour talk, Tim's speech has not been too bad, although I felt disappointed that he did not mention the self-employed small business person when speaking of those they support, but then he did in his next sentence.

However and this is the crux of the matter, should LibDems ever resurface it shall take much longer than one or two terms following supporting the Tories in government. Furthermore they never shall as long as they have any soft words whatsoever for them. Better to acknowledge this and get behind Corbyn and actively engage with looking to the future. Tories are the enemy within. It is time we all drew together to kick them out.

Postscript: 'not been too bad' is perhaps an understatement, much of it has been very rousing particularly his disgust for Cameron even without the disclosures of the last few days.
What? No mention of the Gadarene swine? Surely, with his background, Tim Farron could somehow have shoehorned that in.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It was a decent effort from Farron from what I heard, yes.

But until the LibDems come to terms with why they were massacred in May, they are going nowhere fast.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning.
Nice criticises ‘flying home care visits’ as short as five minutes
Government advisers want care workers to spend at least half an hour with vulnerable people but admits council budget cuts are an obstacle

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... ve-minutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In its first ever guidance on social care, Nice says that contracts that local councils in England sign with social care providers should allow workers time to provide a good-quality service, including having enough time to talk to the person and their carer, and to travel between appointments.

“They should also ensure that workers have time to do their job without being rushed or compromising the dignity or wellbeing of the person who uses services,” said Nice. Workers help clients with getting up, eating, washing, dressing, taking medication and other key tasks.

The shakeup is designed to end what older people’s charities, and the Labour party, have called the scandal of “flying care visits”.

Its advice won praise from organisations that help older and disabled people, but Nice also admitted the bleak outlook for social care funding, which has fallen in recent years as a result of councils having their budgets cut by an average of 40%, reduced the chances of their advice being implemented.
Well then it's pretty much just 'nice' words isn't it? Everybody pretty much knew this is required. Tempting to say 'what's the point?'. But that would sound too cynical and callous.
I agree with you. It's a wretched state of affairs, it doesn't need to be this way.

It's not asking the world to employ and pay care workers properly and allow them the time required to do their job. I've done the work. Emergencies prevented, companionship and qualified care provided, families supported, lives lived well and money saved.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It was a decent effort from Farron from what I heard, yes.

But until the LibDems come to terms with why they were massacred in May, they are going nowhere fast.
Quite. The Libdems won many of their Libdem/Tory marginal seats with the help of Labour tactical voters who understandably deserted them in May. How does Farron expect to win that tactical support back by promising to go into government with the Tories again and rubbishing Labour?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:It was a decent effort from Farron from what I heard, yes.

Quite. The Libdems won many of their Libdem/Tory marginal seats with the help of Labour tactical voters who understandably deserted them in May. How does Farron expect to win that tactical support back by promising to go into government with the Tories again and rubbishing Labour?
The elections next year will be interesting in the traditional Lib Dem Tory marginals.
As for the Corbyn attack pieces are we assuming they'll surface just before conference when the Cameronmnishables stories have stopped being serialised?