Friday 19th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Re: Friday 19th September 2014

Post by Spacedone »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Sorry I'm spitting mad.

Dave hasn't the slightest chance of getting his "nonsense with stilts on" as someone has described it through Parliament.

Labour can just keep saying they honour the "vow" and they will honour it. And gently point out that you can't suddenly change a "vow" a few days later.
I've been listening to the radio all day and as far as I can tell the only people talking about his "nonsense with stilts on" are other Tory MPs. When they talked to people outside of Westminster they were talking about devolving powers to the English regions.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote: The wonderfully peaceful and un lit up nights are probably the biggest reason why Mr Riots and I think we will try to stay here - even when we can't manage the garden etc ourselves - if we possibly can. We often wonder where we could move to that wouldn't feel, and be, a bit of an assault on our senses which are now completely unused to human noise and interference, traffic etc. Plus Mr Riots can dance around naked and piss on the compost heap in the garden without fear of being seen and bundled off somewhere for his own good.
Sounds heavenly. :)

Having been born in Reading and Mr Ohso having lived there for so long, we were used to big town living. Bracknell fourteen years ago was smaller and much quieter. It was almost like living in the sticks.
Not so now.
Newer, far noisier neighbours. Adorable ankle snappers have turned into shrieking teenagers - especially the girls and the extraordinary noises teenage boys can make as they stagger home after a pint of lager and a sniff of the bar rag amazes us. And the loud voices of people using their mobile phones as they walk past,
There has been an explosion of extra housing, consequently more traffic and far more planes flying over. At present it's every three minutes. I believe the aim is one every minute and Heathrow is experimenting with different flight paths to achieve that. Some mornings we've been jarred out of bed at 5am, by a jet flying over our roof at 3,000 ft, and we've had the odd one at 11pm too.
And of course, all the extra homes, people, journeys and activities means more ambulance and police sirens.
We're hoping to get back to Reading next year...It might even be quieter as we shall be living in an enclave of miserable old sods...

Coming to a neighbourhood near you --- soon :twisted:

PS, it's hot and sticky tonight but the Fair is just across the way and whereas they once played non stop rock and roll, now they seem to have some ride or event that requires peculiar background music with a Emcee talking into a microphone until eleven o clock at night. He might as well be in our front room.
God I'm getting old!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

RobertSnozers wrote:Really unseemly that the Tories have gone for a power grab at a time like this
This is the Party that tried to use the World War I ceremony for swift smear attempt on Ed remember, there is nothing beneath them.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Evening all.
Off topic,but sadly I can't work out how to add a pub topic,but I am having a BAD day,imo worse than Alex Salmond!
My little cat has been missing for a week,as I have previously mentioned.So last Saturday I phoned the estate agent involved with the empty house next door as their velux was opened.The owner was to come over(not local),and let cat out if there.
So still no cat,whose name is Toffee.Last night I heard her crying and crying,and she's in the empty house.
I called the police,but they said they can't break in.Anyway,9am I rang the estate agent,who said there was nobody in the office and all calls on divert.
Rang back an hour later,same stroppy cow said the same thing.Told her I was calling RSPCA,she said(snippily)go ahead.So I did.
RSPCA inspector finally,and it took him 2 hrs,made the estate agents,who now denied having the house on their books even though they have a sign up,agree to contact the owner.He lives in Skegness.Still waiting here for him,cat is crying next door.
So,if my nightfall he still hasn't arrived,neighbours are lending me a long ladder to climb over the wall and break a window.
In the meantime,a very kind neighbour stayed in my house while I walked the dogs.When I came back my daughter punched her in the face.Am totally mortified.And sad.
So,Salmond,eat your heart out.Says me selfishly.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Not quite sure what to make of this. :?:
William Hague'll be up for it :twisted:
Oh you are naughty ...

Yes, I knew it was the Tory conf. But does Toby Young really need to share a hotel room ...? Who is he expecting to take him up on it? Can you think of anything worse ...? I can't.
He's a skinflint by the sounds of that.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Not quite sure what to make of this. :?:
Tory Party conference. Rustinpeace is there too so he tells us. Ironic really since he's far more a party drone than the people he regularly accuses of being on the other side.

Why on earth would anyone want to share a room with him?

*shudder*
I just assumed it was a desperate plea for sex from an unloved ugly and genuinely loathsome individual.

Oooh you are awful...But I like you :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RogerOThornhill wrote: Tory Party conference. Rustinpeace is there too so he tells us.
I always went to my employers big shindigs as well, if only for the free booze.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:A recent Tweet from lightacandle

What does she mean?
I think she means that Labour have been conned (the agreed common front with DevoDave). And thus they (Labour), in turn, naively helped the Conservatives out by colluding in said con perpetrated, by extension, on the Scots.Thus securing a "No" vote which got DC's chestnuts out of the fire. I think.
That sounds about right. There are a number of people of whom I am very fond (including Waxy) who I just can't talk to at the moment; you can't have a reasonable conversation with them any more, they are too full of hate for Labour and anything connected with it. I have to be frank, it is damn near breaking my heart. :cry:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:Evening all.
Off topic,but sadly I can't work out how to add a pub topic,but I am having a BAD day,imo worse than Alex Salmond!
My little cat has been missing for a week,as I have previously mentioned.So last Saturday I phoned the estate agent involved with the empty house next door as their velux was opened.The owner was to come over(not local),and let cat out if there.
So still no cat,whose name is Toffee.Last night I heard her crying and crying,and she's in the empty house.
I called the police,but they said they can't break in.Anyway,9am I rang the estate agent,who said there was nobody in the office and all calls on divert.
Rang back an hour later,same stroppy cow said the same thing.Told her I was calling RSPCA,she said(snippily)go ahead.So I did.
RSPCA inspector finally,and it took him 2 hrs,made the estate agents,who now denied having the house on their books even though they have a sign up,agree to contact the owner.He lives in Skegness.Still waiting here for him,cat is crying next door.
So,if my nightfall he still hasn't arrived,neighbours are lending me a long ladder to climb over the wall and break a window.
In the meantime,a very kind neighbour stayed in my house while I walked the dogs.When I came back my daughter punched her in the face.Am totally mortified.And sad.
Oh Rebecca, sorry you're having such a bad time...Whatever has got into people. Don't blame you at all. You've tried all the proper channels and if they don't do something then quite right too, break a window.
You daughter sounds as if she's picked up the stress. Our Hannah does the same. Wish I could help.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

I'm not sure if this has been mention today as one of the "things they sneaked out when nobody was looking".

NHS finances 'worsening' as deficit nears £500m
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29253075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazing how so many things that would have been headline news have been scheduled for the day after the Scottish Independence vote... :roll:
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:
Rebecca wrote:Evening all.
Oh Rebecca, sorry you're having such a bad time...Whatever has got into people. Don't blame you at all. You've tried all the proper channels and if they don't do something then quite right too, break a window.
You daughter sounds as if she's picked up the stress. Our Hannah does the same. Wish I could help.
Ha!Well,you could always nip up to Lincolnshire for a spot of housebreaking.
Shocked that the estate agent had to be threatened before they rang the house owner,not exactly difficult is it.Hope Toffee has shat everwhere.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.

@Rebecca

I hope the cat situation is sorted out satisfactorily.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.

@Rebecca

If the owner isn't here by 9.30 pm I.m breaking the window,have told the people next door to expect some noise!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:

@Rebecca

If the owner isn't here by 9.30 pm I.m breaking the window,have told the people next door to expect some noise!
There's always the option of lobbing wet cat food through the velux window. 8-) And be careful. Don't go and hurt yourself.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@Rebecca

Night PF :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:A recent Tweet from lightacandle

What does she mean?
I think she means that Labour have been conned (the agreed common front with DevoDave). And thus they (Labour), in turn, naively helped the Conservatives out by colluding in said con perpetrated, by extension, on the Scots.Thus securing a "No" vote which got DC's chestnuts out of the fire. I think.
That sounds about right. There are a number of people of whom I am very fond (including Waxy) who I just can't talk to at the moment; you can't have a reasonable conversation with them any more, they are too full of hate for Labour and anything connected with it. I have to be frank, it is damn near breaking my heart. :cry:
Ed has promised to deliver as said, and on time...I posted it in a reply to LightaCandle. Even Eon Clark is scaremongering.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:
Rebecca wrote:

@Rebecca

There's always the option of lobbing wet cat food through the velux window. 8-) And be careful. Don't go and hurt yourself.
Sounds like a sound plan, and doesn't get you in potential trouble Rebecca. Said moggy will be happier once fed, and you'll have the side benefit of knowing the snotty letting agent will have oooooodles of cat crap to clear up. :-)

Night PF.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

East Yorkshire gas-drilling site making locals ‘sick from noxious smells’
Oil company denies fracking operation at exploratory well saying its looking at natural gas not shale

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... king-shale

And so it begins!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Retweet from Rufus Hound:
Actor John Hannah just called for David Cameron to resign live on the BBC One Show. Chris Evans and Alex Jones looked terrified. Superb.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

@Rebecca

Good night PF.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

You can see Tory thinking on what's going on right now.

"We might lose the election overall but if Labour didn't win enough seats then that guarantees that we can block every English-based policy on NHS, Education etc. In fact they might just as well let us run those departments seeing as they can't get their policies through without us".

Good of Dave to let slip the plan so early...maybe he should have kept quiet for a bit.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

EDL and the Orange Order are in St Georges Square looking for a fight.
I reckon they listened to our Nige and are being obliging. He said there'd be riots and by God there are.
I hope all those who've said they're going to vote for UKIP are reading and heeding. You can't get those sorts of organisations back into the bottle once you've given them air.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Is that the same Ed M who was pretty much permanently camped in Scotland for the last week of the campaign? :?:
We know the Tories want to make it all about Ed Miliband but fact remains that a fair number of Labour MP have been working tirelessly for the Better Together campaign and party members were deployed as canvassers etc. Compare that to the effort put into the No Campaign by the Government, who effectively stayed in hiding when it was their job and responsibility as the Government to make the case for the Union.

Labour were there on the ground, actually doing something. Can the same be said for the Conservatives?
Not really, although to be fair to the Scottish Tory leader she put on a good show. Tough gig being lumbered with a twat like Dave.
Prior to the run up to the referendum I'd not closely followed Scottish politics but I was impressed by Ruth Davidson. For a Tory.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:You can see Tory thinking on what's going on right now.

"We might lose the election overall but if Labour didn't win enough seats then that guarantees that we can block every English-based policy on NHS, Education etc. In fact they might just as well let us run those departments seeing as they can't get their policies through without us".

Good of Dave to let slip the plan so early...maybe he should have kept quiet for a bit.
We've always thought the Tories will do anything to stay in power but I doubt many of us imagined how low they would sink.
If they and their LibDem enablers can defy the rule of law and totally ignore more than one wrongdoing or event that would, once upon a time, have brought down the government or at least triggered resignations, then there is nothing they won't do. They are to put it kindly - despicable.

They have one big problem though, and that's Dave. In four and a half years, he's buggered up everything he's touched. An unbroken 100 % by my reckoning.

I reckon they should re-name him Jonas...
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:

That's a good point - if he'd have kept quiet, let it all die down and then unveil 'English votes for English laws' with a month or two to go to the election.

Alternatively, if he'd looked like he was pushing the boat out for the Scots, he probably would have hac a backbench revolt in his hands, and Ukip would have happily mopped up the support lost, so he couldn't really have sat on this.
Scary thing is Twitter is swarming with people condemning Labour for not going along with these plans, even though they are an obvious ploy. I really don't get why the Yessers seem to hate Miliband more than they hate Cameron/

@RS - I've come to the conclusion that the Bevan's comment was being unnecessarily harsh on vermin. Bacteria seems nearer the mark, and not the nice yogurty type either.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I am though getting great pleasure reading Johnson and Pattersons asides as they lob knives at his back.

Boris has ambitions and Patterson was spurned.

A match made in hell. :twisted:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:I am though getting great pleasure reading Johnson and Pattersons asides as they lob knives at his back.

Boris has ambitions and Patterson was spurned.

A match made in hell. :twisted:
We need to know what Dr Fox etc thinks about all this too.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:

That's a good point - if he'd have kept quiet, let it all die down and then unveil 'English votes for English laws' with a month or two to go to the election.

Alternatively, if he'd looked like he was pushing the boat out for the Scots, he probably would have hac a backbench revolt in his hands, and Ukip would have happily mopped up the support lost, so he couldn't really have sat on this.
Scary thing is Twitter is swarming with people condemning Labour for not going along with these plans, even though they are an obvious ploy. I really don't get why the Yessers seem to hate Miliband more than they hate Cameron/

@RS - I've come to the conclusion that the Bevan's comment was being unnecessarily harsh on vermin. Bacteria seems nearer the mark, and not the nice yogurty type either.
I reckon an Ebola type virus is nearer the mark. It's virulent. With the tiniest amount of contact you will get infected. If you're rich chances are you'll survive it. If you're poor hard luck.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: That's a good point - if he'd have kept quiet, let it all die down and then unveil 'English votes for English laws' with a month or two to go to the election.

I reckon an Ebola type virus is nearer the mark. It's virulent. With the tiniest amount of contact you will get infected. If you're rich chances are you'll survive it. If you're poor hard luck.
:D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Do think I have second sight?

A day before the referendum I predicted speeches would already have been written for both eventualities.
Whatever the vote, Tory head office would have prepared a long list of reasons to blame Ed.
And Boris was sharpening his knives.

Edited because I forgot to add...And Grayling has asked Boris if the water cannons have arrived yet, because he'd like to borrow them.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 19 Sep, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

It's 9:35. Do you think Rebecca has resued her cat yet. I hope so. It must have been horrible for her to have heard the desperate meaowing and not be able to do anything.
And from past experience, don't ever expect the RSPCA to put themselves out.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:It's 9:35. Do you think Rebecca has resued her cat yet. I hope so. It must have been horrible for her to have heard the desperate meaowing and not be able to do anything.
Was working on a series of 'cat burglar' jokes. Decided better. :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:It's 9:35. Do you think Rebecca has resued her cat yet. I hope so. It must have been horrible for her to have heard the desperate meaowing and not be able to do anything.
She's very patient. I'd have been lobbing in cat food first thing.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:This is scary. I've just heard that a large international company with a base in Edinburgh sent all the staff they could spare from England up to Scotland yesterday, so that in the event of a Yes they could have all hands to the pumps with preparations to get the hell out of Dodge. On the very day of a Yes vote! Never mind that there would be two years before independence - they wanted to clear out as soon as possible. I wonder how many other companies were waiting with their hands over the big red button just in case?
Quite a few people were accused of scaremongering. I don't think the yes votes realise how close their country was to a meltdown.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

More on "the bad day for Grayling" for those interested

http://www.legalactiongroupnews.org.uk/ ... w-pontoon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And I'm also wondering how Giselle got on with her house sale which was halted because the buyer was thought to be money laundering. [It was on a thread on the old FTN site]
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:More on "the bad day for Grayling" for those interested

http://www.legalactiongroupnews.org.uk/ ... w-pontoon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has anyone kept count of the times this government has been challenged in court? It has to be one for the record books surely.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
She's very patient. I'd have been lobbing in cat food first thing.
Me too.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote: [It was on a thread on the old FTN site]
Which reminds me...I have several pieces that I need to copy across before they disappear.

I got a shock when I was away and in an internet cafe and logged on to the old site...which was blank. ARRGHH!!.

Not sure what happened as it's all still there.
MsChin
Backbencher

Post by MsChin »

ohsocynical wrote:

Has anyone kept count of the times this government has been challenged in court? It has to be one for the record books surely.
I’m sure there’s more, but these sites are good plus they are kept up to date:

EDF: Case law rulings under Equality Act (due regard to public sector equalities duties - impact assessment & consultation, mostly)
http://www.edf.org.uk/blog/?p=17719

Nearly Legal: Tribunal rulings re: bedroom tax
http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/bedroom-t ... decisions/

For High Court & Court of Appeal judgements, there’s Bailli:
http://www.bailii.org
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bit of trouble in George Square,Glasgow tonight.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 45333.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
I have to say, in my brief contact with them, I haven't been impressed. That said, there was a rescue home near where we used to live, and that seemed very well run, but in terms of them actually putting themselves out to help animals in need, they seemed very risk averse and not that bothered. Perhaps their larger scale political activities have detracted from the micro stuff.
I remember quite far back and they were the same then. Only interested in headline grabbing rescues, and income generating problems.
A fox was lying in the daytime, in full view in a neighbours garden and was obviously unable to move although it was scared to death. They told me to chuck a blanket over the poor things head and give it a poke with a stick, which would probably make it move off. In the end our vet came out and took it away. It was ill and had to be put down.

We had a stray cat once again very ill in our garden, and they said if they had to come out to it, they would automatically put it down and none of the rescue societies were interested. Mr Ohso and I were were so sorry for it, we took it to the vets. I paid for the visit and was prepared to pay for whatever treatment it needed. Unfortunately it had Feline Aids, our vet took pity on us and let us off a quarter of the cost of having have it put down.

A recent ad for taking in pets and taking care of them for free when an owner died was a con. If the animal was old or taking too long to adjust [which is always a fear] they were putting the animal down. It was a cynical ploy to encourage people to leave money for the care of the pet in their wills.

I wouldn't give them the drips from my nose.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Brian Moore ‏@brianmoore666 2h

Those of you who haven't heard of Chris Grayling - he's the Lord High Chancellor; or a fuckwit, if you want the legal term.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

refitman wrote:

Brian Moore ‏@brianmoore666 2h

Those of you who haven't heard of Chris Grayling - he's the Lord High Chancellor; or a fuckwit, if you want the legal term.
:rofl:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RSPCA. Don't know where to start - or finish.

We kept some (about forty or fifty) horses alive for months while waiting for the RSPCA to do something. Awful system - awful people I had to interact with running said system.

When they rang me several months later - out of the blue - I supposed they might actually be going to give me an update on their actions (if any, which I doubt) to help the horses. Not a bit of it. They said as someone who cared about animal welfare and who had rung their helpline would I give them a donation.

I told them what I thought of their system, their priorities and where they could put their donation.

We still monitor the horses.
Working on the wild side.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Hi there,burgalry done,didn't break windows,climbed over and simply pulled at the bottom of window which wasn't locked properly.Toffee on my bed,none the worst for wear,nobody called the police tho we were making loads of noise.
Wouldn't have cared it they did!
Goodnight.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Rebecca wrote:Hi there,burgalry done,didn't break windows,climbed over and simply pulled at the bottom of window which wasn't locked properly.Toffee on my bed,none the worst for wear,nobody called the police tho we were making loads of noise.
Wouldn't have cared it they did!
Goodnight.
Good to hear it worked out okay Rebecca. (Hope you remembered to close the window after you)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Just a thought...but I wonder whether Farage might have looked at the indy result...and started to worry.

Given that all 3 party leaders have said that they want to stay in the EU, there's a potential scenario where there are lots of figures plucked out of the air by the go-it-alone side and it looks too close to call but ultimately there are the "don't knows" who think it's too much of a risk and vote No.

I wonder whether he was banking on a yes as it made his job in a few years time look far easier if he could persuade people to take a risk.