Friday 19th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 19th September 2014

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote: Oh my!

Let's sport with the idle trifler.
I see ninja is there too.

Was her really a deputy head? He posts as if he's a complete dimwit who's just been let loose on a keyboard for the first time.
I've no idea - did he claim to be a deputy head? I wouldn't believe a word he said one way or another about anything.
Apparently so - at an academy in London but only up to 2000 so presumably was a grant maintained before. Hates local authorities and loved Gove with a passion.

I once told him that schools had improved in London since then and asked if it was a coincidence...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Right, let us see how long that comment survives! Appalling Wintour anti-Ed hack job up, should be swarming with the usual suspects any moment, but managed to beat them to it this time. :lol!:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... mentpage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good comment. And as for:
These issues also, incidentally, divide the Liberal Democrats.
:roll:

...The LibDems have been incidental for some time.
LibDems ....LibDems ...? No, you've lost me there. Are they some sort of endangered woodland creature.
Species Libertarius Demonicus.
Colouring: Generally blue with a distinctive yellow streak. Unlike other species there is no discernable difference in male or female colouring.
Now extinct due to sexual licence and a consequent Lemming like compulsion for mass suicide.
Last known sighting: Lone male lurking in a suburban garden at Hallam in Sheffield.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I've got faith in Carwyn, Gordon Brown, Alastair Darling & Ed Miliband working together and coming up with something.

Carwyn has been calling for a national convention on the whole issue of the constitution.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Steve Bell ‏@BellBelltoons 8m
Why the flaming fuck does BBC #wato think politics now all about Tory english nationalist MP tossers? Enough nationalism already

What makes you think Steve Bell hates the Tories? ;)

I wonder if we'll get a short video featuring him at the Party Conferences. I enjoyed the one he did last year.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Double post. Apologies. Have some shortbread.
Perfect-shortbread-005.jpg
Perfect-shortbread-005.jpg (28.23 KiB) Viewed 16326 times
Last edited by adam on Fri 19 Sep, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

The government's mind set on further devolution and so on is clear from it's earlier actions on lobbying - moving with effortless ease from 'there is a real problem with lobbying' to 'we have to cut charities and unions out of political influence'.

They're a bunch of self-serving shits. I suspect Labour either need to find something very specific to develop from now or need to move towards a major constitutional convention and a move torwards national and regional federalism. Otherwise, all we'll get is the Tories gerrymandering an English parliament as best they can to serve nothing but the south east.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Paul,

I am delighted and proud that the people of Scotland have made this historic decision to stay in the United Kingdom.

This was a vote for solidarity and social justice. It was a vote for our NHS, for the welfare state, and for unity — because we are better together.

But whether people voted Yes or No, this was also a vote for change.

We must change the way the UK is governed and who it is run for. And that thirst for change is not just in Scotland but across the whole of the UK.

We need more good jobs and job security. We need decent wages and an end to poverty pay. We need a better future for our young people so they can believe they can have a better life than their parents.

The last few weeks have been about keeping our country together. The next eight months will be about showing how we can change our country together.

There is only one party that can do it — and that is our party.

Thanks,

Ed
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Species Libertarius Demonicus.
Colouring: Generally blue with a distinctive yellow streak. Unlike other species there is no discernable difference in male or female colouring.
Now extinct due to sexual licence and a consequent Lemming like compulsion for mass suicide.
Last known sighting: Lone male lurking in a suburban garden at Hallam in Sheffield.
Known to engage in elaborate mating dances, often around roses. This can result in symbiosis with predatory species even to the extent of making a joint nest. Examples of Libertarius Demonicus subsequently distancing themselves from the nest have been noted, only for them to return when they think no-one is looking.
Seen to move in oblique angles, which appears to be a failed attempt to trick predators into thinking they are going somewhere different to their actual destination. Sub-species identified as Libertarius Demonicus Cablii and Libertarius Demonicus Williamosi are known to fly backwards and make mock attacks on their protective predator. The reason for this is unknown but it is believed to be connected with the aforementioned mating rituals.
Most offspring leave the nest early, never to return.
Brilliant. :lol: :lol: :lol: You continued that far better than I could have done. Nailed them perfectly, The best laugh I've had all week. :lol: :lol: :lol:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Paul,

I am delighted and proud that the people of Scotland have made this historic decision to stay in the United Kingdom.

This was a vote for solidarity and social justice. It was a vote for our NHS, for the welfare state, and for unity — because we are better together.

We must change the way the UK is governed and who it is run for. And that thirst for change is not just in Scotland but across the whole of the UK.

We need more good jobs and job security. We need decent wages and an end to poverty pay. We need a better future for our young people so they can believe they can have a better life than their parents.

The last few weeks have been about keeping our country together. The next eight months will be about showing how we can change our country together.

Thanks,

Ed

You missed the bit at the bottom that asks for a donation :D
Will be giving something later on.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Just one thought on the lower turn out in Glasgow.

Probably best not to read too much into it. Big cities like Glasgow will just naturally have lower turn out for a whole load of reasons linked to the more complicated, fluid society there.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

yahyah wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Paul,

Thanks,

Ed

You missed the bit at the bottom that asks for a donation :D
Will be giving something later on.
:lol:

True. So I've had an email from both Dave and Ed today so far. Thankfully I don't think I'm in Nick's address book :twisted:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

The best approach to counter Cameron's Tory
Coup is point out it doesn't solve the problem that England is too big to be governed from Westminster.

Devolve tax raising powers back to local government, give them real responsibility for housing and healthcare. It is the only sensible option.

The English only votes is an unworkable mess, floated only to keep Cameron's backbenchers happy. It isn't remotely possible.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@RobertSnozers:

I think the reason 'English votes for English laws' hasn't been introduced in the past is because it's far more complex than at first it appears. Sort of the opposite of Nigel Farage. I suspect the commission set up to look at it will have to major on the more achievable solutions

Blimey! English votes for English laws sound to me like nationalism at its most incendiary. That'll get twisted into all sorts of unsavoury viewpoints.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Except for very specific cases am no fan of nationalism and have had more than the occasional run-in with a nat BTL. But I have to say that the Scots have done the UK a great service by raising the issue of democratic deficit, and successfully articulating a frustration with the elite-run status quo - not just in politics but in all walks of public life (particularly the MSM). First to go must be the obsession with recruiting for the BBC etc from Oxbridge, followed by the closing of the public schools.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Pupils in some Birmingham schools are being given just ONE chicken nugget for lunch.

The revelation has prompted a probe into the food being dished up for reception pupils in the city, the Birmingham Mail reports.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sc ... z3DldvcWHP

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/bi ... et-7795031

It was only a matter of time before the above made the headlines...

Edited to add the link to the Birmingham Mail.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:The best approach to counter Cameron's Tory
Coup is point out it doesn't solve the problem that England is too big to be governed from Westminster.

Devolve tax raising powers back to local government, give them real responsibility for housing and healthcare. It is the only sensible option.

The English only votes is an unworkable mess, floated only to keep Cameron's backbenchers happy. It isn't remotely possible.
Exactly.

The Labour party & Miliband have been talking - writing about this for a long time.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:I've got faith in Carwyn, Gordon Brown, Alastair Darling & Ed Miliband working together and coming up with something.

Carwyn has been calling for a national convention on the whole issue of the constitution.
I'm hoping they've already worked together on something and will be revealing it in dramatic fashion some time next week! Ed has done well in the past on setting the agenda, but nothing will be as important as getting on the front foot on this. He needs to get in quick too on calling Cameron out on promising rapid Devo max to Scotland and then the instant they vote "no" coming out with the caveats and conditions and tying it to English devolution and general parliamentary reform. That was not the offer on the table and Labour need to emphasize that. Constitutional reform can't be done on the hoof and Cameron is being reckless (and self-interested) in suggesting it. It's a blocking tactic and should be exposed as such.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ohsocynical wrote:Last known sighting: Lone male lurking in a suburban garden at Hallam in Sheffield.
Sheffield Council's pest control department have been notified.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Just one thought on the lower turn out in Glasgow.

Probably best not to read too much into it. Big cities like Glasgow will just naturally have lower turn out for a whole load of reasons linked to the more complicated, fluid society there.
It was a major disappointment to the "yes" campaign, nonetheless - much lower than they had hoped.

Have noted that the ex-mining areas voted "no" (albeit narrowly in some cases) in contrast to Dundee and "Greater Glasgow".

Class considerations still trumping nationalism for quite a few there?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Permission granted for legal challenge to legal aid cuts.

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/bid-to- ... ullarticle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:The best approach to counter Cameron's Tory

Exactly.

The Labour party & Miliband have been talking - writing about this for a long time.
I've made this point over on the Graun, so some of you may have seen it already, but it is worth remembering that this is Tristram Hunt's speciality subject and I'd be astonished if he hadn't made a very significant input into the new policy. Communities has tended to be a backwater department (which is why Pickles has been squirrelled away there) but I suspect those days are over; so it would make sense reshuffle Hunt there, where he really knows his stuff, without upsetting internal factions who might previously have considered it a demotion.

Oh, and it is beyond time to bring Darling back into the fold, he's paid his dues; and think of all the opportunities for Blackadder jokes it would afford Rusty.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Devolution to City\County level would condemn many people (ok - me - for starters) to perpetual Conservative decision making unless it's accompanied by some sort of change to the voting system. (Just thoughts off the top of my head having been listening to Philip Blond on BBC News24).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Spammers at it again......
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Spammers at it again......
Maybe they are the best pumps in NZ.....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Last known sighting: Lone male lurking in a suburban garden at Hallam in Sheffield.
8-) :lol:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
8-) :lol:

Talking of Lib Dem pests has Clegg been sighted ?
Have seen and heard from Cameron, Ed, Farage and our very own Carwyn Jones but no Clegg.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Devolution to City\County level would condemn many people (ok - me - for starters) to perpetual Conservative decision making unless it's accompanied by some sort of change to the voting system. (Just thoughts off the top of my head having been listening to Philip Blond on BBC News24).
Me too. They turned a Labour council into a solid Tory one with boundary changes a few years ago.
It effectively disenfranchised a huge swathe of Bracknell.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Afternoon. This seems a very daft policy ... There's not going to be much of the MSM left to cover Salmond's latest if he carries on like this. (Wonder if they also banned Nick Robinson from attending.)
Severin Carrell ‏@severincarrell 21m
The Guardian declined its place at @AlexSalmond post-#indyref press
conference after Scottish govt insisted on picking @guardian reporter
Iain Martin ‏@iainmartin1 4m
Telegraph and Mail banned from this afternoon's Salmond press conference. Grown up leaders don't do this stuff. Bizarre.
Working on the wild side.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Oh dear, I've just been told off for calling Dave the Fishpointer General. Apparently because I support Ed Miliband doing this makes me a hypocrite. Who knew?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Afternoon. This seems a very daft policy ... There's not going to be much of the MSM left to cover Salmond's latest if he carries on like this. (Wonder if they also banned Nick Robinson from attending.)
Telegraph and Mail banned from this afternoon's Salmond press conference. Grown up leaders don't do this stuff. Bizarre.

That joke Twitter account about the Scottish Broadcasting Service Guidelines wasn't so off the mark then.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Just one thought on the lower turn out in Glasgow.

It was a major disappointment to the "yes" campaign, nonetheless - much lower than they had hoped.

Have noted that the ex-mining areas voted "no" (albeit narrowly in some cases) in contrast to Dundee and "Greater Glasgow".

Class considerations still trumping nationalism for quite a few there?
FWIW I think two (mis)assumptions were apparent in the coverage last night.Firstly, the equivalence of historic support for the SNP as support for independence.Aberdeenshire(where I lived for some years)seemed to be a,"surprise" as in "Salmonds back yard".It barely voted for devolution.Support for a party/person misread,particularly given the alternatives in that area.,of course this,works in reverse, with a fair few voting for independence that wouldn't dream.of voting SNP.Secondly,that a higher turnout necessarily favoured the Independence cause,particular the poorer areas;again I don't think that is the case.If the turnout in Glasgow had been higher I believe the differential would have been similar,I agree class,greater community rather than insularity (particular among the older voter,acutely aware of the dangers of fervent nationalism )all played a part.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Afternoon. This seems a very daft policy ... There's not going to be much of the MSM left to cover Salmond's latest if he carries on like this. (Wonder if they also banned Nick Robinson from attending.)
Snap I was just going to post this. All the nice smiles and sucking up are out the window along with the Yes vote.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

In a poll I read about earlier today, it said that 14% of those that voted for SNP voted No. It seems like such a small percentage. Would it have made much difference to the overall vote?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Salmond has resigned as First Minister ....
Retweeted by New Statesman
May2015 ‏@May2015NS 3m
Salmond resigns.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Salmond has resigned as First Minister ....
May2015 ‏@May2015NS 3m
Salmond resigns.

Well, well, well.

No wonder Sturgeon looked so perky earlier.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PoliticsHome ‏@politicshome 10m
Alex Salmond will stand down as First Minister and SNP leader in November in the wake of the No vote in #indyref http://polho.me/1swMb7c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Anyone hear Malcolm Rifkind on Radio5? He was saying that the vows made to the Scots are emphatically not linked to resolving the West Lothian question. He said Bojo was silly for suggesting they were. And Ed M has apparently said the same thing. Callme should quit smoking. These back of a fag packet policies are getting embarrassing.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Salmond has resigned as First Minister ....
May2015 ‏@May2015NS 3m
Salmond resigns.
Beat me to it.

His press conference has a man that looks like him but without any of the cockiness Wee Eck usually has - some of that humility might have helped him in the referendum campaign....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I don't see how Ed Miliband can be accused of reneging on a promise (vow). It is David Cameron who has done that by making the process of further devolution a completely different kettle of fish (fish again) to the one which was agreed upon. He has, to coin a phrase, moved the goalposts. Or, perhaps more accurately, he's doused them with petrol and set fire to them. The sooner and louder Labour articulate this, the better.

Edited to add

And articulate it in such a way as to make it clear that they view David Cameron's scheme as much as an attempt by the Conservatives to stitch up the Scots as an attempt to stitch up the Labour Party (and by extension the rest of the UK). You'd have thought that the soon-to-be departed Alex Salmond would have pointed that out.
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 19 Sep, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:I don't see how Ed Miliband can be accused of reneging on a promise (vow). It is David Cameron who has done that by making the process of further devolution a completely different kettle of fish (fish again) to the one which was agreed upon. He has, to coin a phrase, moved the goalposts. Or, perhaps more accurately, he's doused them with petrol and set fire to them. The sooner and louder Labour articulate this, the better.
Reminds me of the lobbying bill that was supposed to deal with a serious problem and became a big stick to bash unions and charities with.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Labour can ignore Cameron's bluster quite safely.

1. Cameron can't get it through parliament in this term.
2. Labour can claim in the GE that a vote for Cameron is a vote for a perpetual Southern Tory government. Instead they can offer the North, Midlands, London and South West genuine devolved powers.
3. Cameron won't win a majority, and if he does English only votes will make no odds.
4. Labour can then win the next GE (UK wide) and immediately stuff the Lords with peers and repeal English only votes.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"High Court Slaps Down legal aid reform"

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/high-co ... 78.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:I don't see how Ed Miliband can be accused of reneging on a promise (vow). It is David Cameron who has done that by making the process of further devolution a completely different kettle of fish (fish again) to the one which was agreed upon. He has, to coin a phrase, moved the goalposts. Or, perhaps more accurately, he's doused them with petrol and set fire to them. The sooner and louder Labour articulate this, the better.
I heard Sadiq Khan on WATO saying that what needed to happen was a 2 track process - firstly to sort out the extra powers for Scotland within the timetable pledged - and then to work out a process that engaged people in deciding on what needs to happen re England and additional powers and any required constitutional changes (presumably this will include Wales as well). This latter process obviously needs more time - as any changes must be framed by the people not just Westminster and has to go through both houses of parliament.

Immediately after him came Tom Devine - the Scottish historian and YES supporter - who said he could have written Sadiq Khan's response himself as it was exactly what he thought needed to happen.

I wish it was that simple - could be that simple.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:"High Court Slaps Down legal aid reform"

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/high-co ... 78.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a really damning ruling. Chickens coming home to roost for Grayling - good.

I see the same old guff has been put out by the MoJ re it not really being a win at all - just a 'technical success'.

I'm waiting for some awful mishap, accident, disaster, riot as a result of Grayling's destructive zeal.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Alex Salmond will stand down as First Minister and SNP leader in November in the wake of the No vote in #indyref http://polho.me/1swMb7c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Makes him look almost angelic compared to shifty Dave, doesn't it.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Makes him look almost angelic compared to shifty Dave, doesn't it.
BTL elsewhere I'm thinking he's heading for formal beatification.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I have said plenty of harsh things about Wee Eck recently - and totally justifiably - but it is hard not to feel a *little* for him right now.

He turns 60 at the end of this year, and at the moment must feel that most of his adult life has been wasted.

(people "in the know" have said that in recent days, he genuinely thought that "yes" might win)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Labour can ignore Cameron's bluster quite safely.

1. Cameron can't get it through parliament in this term.
2. Labour can claim in the GE that a vote for Cameron is a vote for a perpetual Southern Tory government. Instead they can offer the North, Midlands, London and South West genuine devolved powers.
3. Cameron won't win a majority, and if he does English only votes will make no odds.
4. Labour can then win the next GE (UK wide) and immediately stuff the Lords with peers and repeal English only votes.
Correct.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Diane Abbott again, with her enormous wooden spoon.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I have said plenty of harsh things about Wee Eck recently - and totally justifiably - but it is hard not to feel a *little* for him right now.

He turns 60 at the end of this year, and at the moment must feel that most of his adult life has been wasted.

(people "in the know" have said that in recent days, he genuinely thought that "yes" might win)

Agree with you.
He seems a victim of his own delusion, rather a pathetic little figure.

But unless you die, or retire with a massive approval rating like Rhodri Morgan did, what else happens to a political leader but failure & humiliation ?