Monday 5th October 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 5th October 2015

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I would imagine, given that businesses will be able to keep the business rates from their area, that the City of London, will be applauding loudly. Lots of business rates, few people.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I would imagine, given that businesses will be able to keep the business rates from their area, that the City of London, will be applauding loudly. Lots of business rates, few people.
Quite. All part of "governing for the many".
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
yahyah wrote:Chap just called to read the electricity meter.

He tells us the Smart meters are now not going to be compulsory, but that 1,800 jobs will still be lost. He seemed pretty fed up.
Always was going to be compulsory.

Rolled out as part of DECCs smart meter program, as opposed to today where solutions are provided by individual electricity suppliers.

A small charge will be added to every bill to pay for them.

They provide zero benefit to the consumer, the implementation is hopelessly constrained so forget about Smart Grid capabilities, and they introduce a massive security vulnerability to the UK. But they mean the suppliers can save money by getting rid of some meter readers, so that is ok then.

Utter shambles, caused by UK Gov being technically clueless and in thrall to energy companies.

Just looked it up online.

Coalition energy minister Charles Hendry said in 2012
“We believe people will benefit from having smart meters. But we will not make them obligatory.”
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Sad to hear Henning Mankell has died.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/o ... dies-at-67" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Jeremy Cliffe ✔ @JeremyCliffe
The logic of Osborne's housing & biz rates policies: let failing places fail rather than propping them up; help residents move to boomtowns.

Pippa Crerar @PippaCrerar
George Osborne's announcement councils that will be able to keep 100% of biz rate take is worth at least £2.75 billion extra for London.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Good afternoon.

Apparently, that Daily Politics show (which, thankfully, I never see) has decided that the equivalent of having McTernan and Price respond to Corbyn is... Sir Anthony Seldon on George Osborne's speech.

Oh, and then there's this:

Billy Rubin ‏@BillyRubin69 · 33 mins33 minutes ago
Reporter from @daily_politics 'Tories queue, very polite. No rabble here'. Nothing like a bit of professional neutrality #bbcdp

People who can't see what's happening to the BBC really must be as thick as mince.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

NonOxCol wrote:Good afternoon.

Apparently, that Daily Politics show (which, thankfully, I never see) has decided that the equivalent of having McTernan and Price respond to Corbyn is... Sir Anthony Seldon on George Osborne's speech.

Reporter from @daily_politics 'Tories queue, very polite. No rabble here'. Nothing like a bit of professional neutrality #bbcdp

People who can't see what's happening to the BBC really must be as thick as mince.
Lovely expression. :D I'm going to pinch it...Please.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

nappies.jpg
nappies.jpg (81.86 KiB) Viewed 6482 times

Good to see the protest is still going on at Tory Conference.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Wouldn't be so bad if these "reporters" actually wore blue rosettes so people could actually know where they were coming from :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Am feeling a bit low.

The Tories seem to have all their ducks lined up in a row, with the bonus of a supine press.

Osborne is feted a radical, a visionary.
But he's just an uber-right winger, an extremist.
Many post war consensus Tories would have recoiled at his spivvery.
He isn't just selling the family silver, he's selling the table, the crockery and the linens.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rowena Mason ‏@rowenamason 38m38 minutes ago
Jeremy Hunt firm on tax credits: "We have to proceed with these tax credit changes because they are a very important cultural signal."

Rowena Mason ‏@rowenamason 39m39 minutes ago
Jeremy Hunt says UK needs a culture of hard work like the Americans and Chinese. (I thought we already had a lot of hardworking people?)

Rowena Mason ‏@rowenamason 39m39 minutes ago
Jeremy Hunt talks of how it is much tougher to make cuts this parliament without damaging public services, claims big reform the answer
What with Hunt, Oisborne and IDS ... this government has more than enough reformers / schemers and manipulators. I find Hunt's language, in particular, very creepy. 'an important cultural signal' ... when talking about a move which makes the poorest workers worse off ... sheesh.

And then there's his comments on Poulter's comments on the junior doctors contract row ...
Rowena Mason ‏@rowenamason 26m26 minutes ago
Jeremy Hunt dismisses criticism from Tory MP Dan Poulter about dr contracts, saying he's an angry ex minister who never disagreed in govt
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andrew Adonis ‏@Andrew_Adonis 21m21 minutes ago
A privilege to be asked to setup the new National Infrastructure Commission. Here is its remit: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chan ... n-building" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … (1/2)

Andrew Adonis
‏@Andrew_Adonis
Essential for National Infrastructure Comm. to be politically neutral and operate independently, so I will sit on the crossbenches. (2/2)
I think that makes it very clear.

It's definitely not a defection ... more observing protocol.
Working on the wild side.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

That business rates plan is frankly nuts. Poor areas become poorer, services disproportionately withdrawn. All in this together? :mad:
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

yahyah wrote:Am feeling a bit low.

The Tories seem to have all their ducks lined up in a row, with the bonus of a supine press.

Osborne is feted a radical, a visionary.
But he's just an uber-right winger, an extremist.
Many post war consensus Tories would have recoiled at his spivvery.
He isn't just selling the family silver, he's selling the table, the crockery and the linens.
Know what you mean.

I took some heart from what Kevin Maguire in the Mirror says:
Here's why arrogant Tories preening themselves in Manchester shouldn’t be smug.
Pride comes before a fall and May’s fluky election win is fast disappearing in the rear-view mirror.
David Cameron’s slippery refusal to accept the reality of savage Tory cuts to living standards is the hubris of a PM coasting to retirement.
Blue-blood claims to champion blue-collar Britain will be exposed as an expensive lie when families are cheated of thousands of pounds in tax credits.
Austerity biting into public services, especially an NHS starved of an infusion of funds, will spark a public revolt.
The anti-democrat in Downing Street replacing elected MPs with unelected peers in the House of Cronies is the misrule of a puffed-up potentate.
So is shackling workers and trade unions, or scrapping justice by binning legal aid and unpicking basic human rights.
Behind the economic “recovery” propaganda is the worst British convalescence in modern history, with financial klaxons warning of the growing risk of a second catastrophic global collapse. Europe is an issue ¬guaranteed to rip apart a party home to an angry Little Britain brigade of ideological obsessives who won’t accept the referendum result if people vote to keep the Channel Tunnel open.
Tories scoffing at Jeremy Corbyn, calculating his messy “new politics” won’t fly, may be right but he could be PM in 2020 and Cameron won’t. The Tory leader’s retirement will pour a tanker of petrol on a smouldering fire.
George Osborne posing unwisely as the happy family man is premature electioneering to succeed his chum Dave. Watch the party disintegrate.
When Cameron conceded that favourites don’t always win it sounded like nerves. And an unruly mob, from Boris Johnson and Theresa May to ambitious Sajid Javid and even deluded Nicky Morgan, will scream to prove him right. So predicting the result of a General Election in four-and-a-half years is a mugs’ game. I recall prominent figures on the Tory right forecasting Cameron’s defeat this time in 2007, before unexpected events propelled him to No10 in 2010.
Economics and politics are increasingly uncertain. Tories wish to keep politics a sport like polo, played by the few, yet the 60,000-strong TUC march outside their security fences in Manchester was the latest glimpse of a mass reawakening. Returning politics to a people’s game like football raises the possibility of a different result.
Corbyn is shaking things up and confronts the Tories tonight at an anti-austerity rally in Manchester, defying the tired convention that rivals stay away when another party is in town.
Yes, Labour is disunited, with Corbyn isolated in his Shadow Cabinet and Westminster, despite that mandate he mentions regularly.
But who knows? The sneering Tories could soon be laughing out of the other side of the mouth.
Nice cartoon by Rowson as well: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/da ... ng-6574689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Had enough of the Tory conference during Osborne's monologue but in other news the OECD presents outputs of OECD/G20 BEPS Project for discussion at G20 Finance Ministers meeting, Reforms to the international tax system for curbing avoidance by multinational enterprises (http://www.oecd.org/newsroom/oecd-prese ... eeting.htm).

I haven't read any details yet but understand there are 1000 pages of documentation to accompany this too...

Blimey it's taken about 10m to open this site and then to log in. I wonder if it's my Firefox installation, which crashes with the new Indy site.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:That business rates plan is frankly nuts. Poor areas become poorer, services disproportionately withdrawn. All in this together? :mad:
Yes - and the poor people in the rich areas will be shipped off to the soon to become even poorer areas. The mixture as before - only the dose will be lethal. Rich city states with mud-hut outposts beyond the pallisades is my (melodramatic?) vision of things to come.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jesus wept. Now Mr Ohso and I are beginning to see the effects of the cuts. We've been waiting nearly three weeks for a referal to see about his polyps...Chemo for the bladder cancer is on hold until that's done.

I rang appointments last Tuesday and was told they had only just recieved the referral from urology and I should ring Friday.
Thought we'd give them an extra day and rang about fifteen minutes ago.
Was told there were no appointments because they hadn't received the referral. I reply I was told it was received by them last Tuesday.
Girl askes supervisor. Supervisor says they'll fit him in at the end of October. I snap NOT good enough. He has bladder cancer and needs the chemo... So then was told 12th Oct.

It's made me shake but not sure whether it's fear or temper or both.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:That business rates plan is frankly nuts. Poor areas become poorer, services disproportionately withdrawn. All in this together? :mad:
Yes - and the poor people in the rich areas will be shipped off to the soon to become even poorer areas. The mixture as before - only the dose will be lethal. Rich city states with mud-hut outposts beyond the pallisades is my (melodramatic?) vision of things to come.
I reckon you're not far wrong.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

ohsocynical wrote:Jesus wept. Now Mr Ohso and I are beginning to see the effects of the cuts. We've been waiting nearly three weeks for a referal to see about his polyps...Chemo for the bladder cancer is on hold until that's done.

I rang appointments last Tuesday and was told they had only just recieved the referral from urology and I should ring Friday.
Was told there were no appointments because they hadn't received the referral. I reply I was told it was received by them last Tuesday.
Girl askes supervisor. Supervisor says they'll fit him in at the end of October. I snap NOT good enough. He has bladder cancer and needs the chemo... So then was told 12th Oct.

That's awful, ohso. My husband had prostate cancer last year (thankfully in remission now) and was being treated at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, near where we lived then. Addenbrooke's is - was - one of the best hospitals in the country. It's now in special measures. While we were going in every day for Bill's radiotherapy during the summer, there was an ongoing crisis with the A&E department. He still received excellent treatment in the oncology department, due to the dedicated and very hard working staff, and absolutely no thanks to Jeremy 'Rhyming Slang' Hunt or the rest of the government.

People are increasingly becoming aware of how this government are ruining the NHS, through personal experience or the experience of friends and family, despite being kept in the dark by our supine media.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tony Travers says Osborne reforms will lead to tax competition amongst councils

Tony Travers, the academic and local government expert, is on BBC News now. He says George Osborne’s announcement is quite radical.

It will create an incentive for regions to get an elected mayor, he says.

But Osborne is also encouraging councils to cut tax. That will lead to tax competition between areas, which is something we have not seen in the UK for a long time, he says. (Politics Live, Guardian - my bold)
When was the last time there was such competition? Does anyone here know, please?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Hey everyone, listen to Jeremy *unt, trying to outdo Liam Fox and the TPA for sheer brass neck and contemptible ignorance:

"Junior doctors should not listen to Tory MP Dan Poulter’s claims that they will lose pay under proposed new contracts because is just an “angry ex minister” opining on his lost brief."

"The government must press ahead with tax credit cuts because they are an “important cultural signal” to people in the UK that they should be prepared to work as hard as the Chinese and Americans."

"He would like to see computers play a bigger role in diagnosis to help free up doctors for cases where their judgement is really needed, citing a US hospital that drew inspiration from Toyota production methods."

The centre ground, ladies and gentlemen.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[Jeremy]Hunt says tax credit cuts will help to teach British they need to work as hard as Chinese or Americans
Politic Live, Guardian)
Yes - those private health insurance premiums won't pay for themselves, you know. Good job the Chinese will be here soon to show us how it's done.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PorFavor wrote:
[Jeremy]Hunt says tax credit cuts will help to teach British they need to work as hard as Chinese or Americans (Politics Live, Guardian)
Yes - those private health insurance premiums won't pay for themselves, you know. Good job the Chinese will be here soon to show us how it's done.
Edited - the text keeps running off the page so that I can't see what I'm typing!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bumboils.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Wouldn't be so bad if these "reporters" actually wore blue rosettes so people could actually know where they were coming from :twisted:
I feel certain that at some point the Tories had a 'if you can't beat them, join them' plan regarding the BBC. It's certainly not the BBC that Polly Toynbee remembers when she was Social Correspondent back in the 90s. (She wrote some time ago that she remembers the editorial team being very scrupulous - almost neurotically so - about balance.)

Back in the noughties, Radio 4's Jane Garvey made a jokey comment about how she remembered 'champagne bottles everywhere' on election night in 1997, something which Tories since then have used as alleged proof that the BBC are a bunch of pinkos. Never mind that Garvey had added that the BBC had since 'fallen out of love with Labour'.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Jesus wept. Now Mr Ohso and I are beginning to see the effects of the cuts. We've been waiting nearly three weeks for a referal to see about his polyps...Chemo for the bladder cancer is on hold until that's done.

I'm sorry, Ohso.
I'm very sorry.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

There's some nasty f*ckers around on the internet. Whatever possesses vile trolls to make such comments to a 92 year old ? What on earth are they hoping to achieve or get out of it
ScreenShot00845.jpg
ScreenShot00845.jpg (78.2 KiB) Viewed 6336 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
[Jeremy]Hunt says tax credit cuts will help to teach British they need to work as hard as Chinese or Americans
Politic Live, Guardian)
I literally gasped reading Jeremy Hunt's words.
Shocking.

"...tax credit cuts will help to teach British they need to work as hard..."

The French have a response to that.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
Tony Travers says Osborne reforms will lead to tax competition amongst councils

Tony Travers, the academic and local government expert, is on BBC News now. He says George Osborne’s announcement is quite radical.

It will create an incentive for regions to get an elected mayor, he says.

But Osborne is also encouraging councils to cut tax. That will lead to tax competition between areas, which is something we have not seen in the UK for a long time, he says. (Politics Live, Guardian - my bold)
When was the last time there was such competition? Does anyone here know, please?
It's going to be exactly the same with councils at it is in the US.
They have quite large variations in things like local taxes between States. It can be very disjointed.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

TobyLatimer wrote:There's some nasty f*ckers around on the internet. Whatever possesses vile trolls to make such comments to a 92 year old ? What on earth are they hoping to achieve or get out of it
ScreenShot00845.jpg
What's even worse is that nasty f*cker, ie "NickBishop42", is not some socially maladjusted 17 year who hasn't yet learnt enough about life to behave in a civilised manner, but someone who looks as if he should be old enough to know better. What a nasty idiot.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Stagger Lee
Backbencher

Post by Stagger Lee »

TobyLatimer wrote:There's some nasty f*ckers around on the internet. Whatever possesses vile trolls to make such comments to a 92 year old ? What on earth are they hoping to achieve or get out of it
ScreenShot00845.jpg
I have just flipped through his twitter timeline which seems to a combination of wittering on about rugby and calling 'lefties' cunts.

:wall:

I expect his twitter profile to made private or deleted very soon
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

NonOxCol wrote:Hey everyone, listen to Jeremy *unt, trying to outdo Liam Fox and the TPA for sheer brass neck and contemptible ignorance:

"Junior doctors should not listen to Tory MP Dan Poulter’s claims that they will lose pay under proposed new contracts because is just an “angry ex minister” opining on his lost brief."

"The government must press ahead with tax credit cuts because they are an “important cultural signal” to people in the UK that they should be prepared to work as hard as the Chinese and Americans."

"He would like to see computers play a bigger role in diagnosis to help free up doctors for cases where their judgement is really needed, citing a US hospital that drew inspiration from Toyota production methods."

The centre ground, ladies and gentlemen.

Well, I suppose we should be thankful it isn't Volkswagen production methods Hunt's keen on. :evil:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

"...tax credit cuts will help to teach British they need to work as hard..."

How bloody dare he ?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:"...tax credit cuts will help to teach British they need to work as hard..."

How bloody dare he ?
I know.
It made me shake with anger.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

UK economic growth has slowed dramatically, latest survey suggests

Britain’s economy is losing momentum, knocked by weaker household spending and worries about the global outlook, according to the latest in a string of downbeat business surveys.

Business activity grew at the slowest pace for more than two years in Britain’s dominant services sector last month, according to the closely watched Markit CIPS PMI report.

The authors said it looked as if GDP growth had slowed in recent months and was entering the final quarter of the year at a pace of just 0.3% – less than half the 0.7% seen in the second quarter, according to the most recent official data.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... y-suggests
Dang, Chancellor Jeff, those are your cheerleaders.
They aren't sounding very impressed now, powerhouse.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hunt suggests people on tax credits lack dignity and self-respect
Rowena Mason

Rowena Mason

Here’s another quote from the Jeremy Hunt fringe meeting. He suggested that those reliant on tax credits and benefits lack dignity and self-respect. (Politics Live, Guardian)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Lloyds share sale: Osborne announces £2bn stock offer - HALF of £4bn election promise

Around £2bn of shares in taxpayer backed Lloyds bank will be sold to the public in spring 2016 - half of the £4bn promised by the Tories in the run-up to the election.

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/6 ... on-promise
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
UK economic growth has slowed dramatically, latest survey suggests

Britain’s economy is losing momentum, knocked by weaker household spending and worries about the global outlook, according to the latest in a string of downbeat business surveys.

Business activity grew at the slowest pace for more than two years in Britain’s dominant services sector last month, according to the closely watched Markit CIPS PMI report.

The authors said it looked as if GDP growth had slowed in recent months and was entering the final quarter of the year at a pace of just 0.3% – less than half the 0.7% seen in the second quarter, according to the most recent official data.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... y-suggests
Dang, Chancellor Jeff, those are your cheerleaders.
They aren't sounding very impressed now, powerhouse.
What did AS say earlier?

Otherwise? It was striking how little there was about the general state of the economy in the speech,

That's why.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:
Rowena Mason

Rowena Mason

Here’s another quote from the Jeremy Hunt fringe meeting. He suggested that those reliant on tax credits and benefits lack dignity and self-respect. (Politics Live, Guardian)

They are going too far now.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Dontcha just love it when Osborne pretends he knows how to do a hard day's work ?
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

yahyah wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Rowena Mason

Rowena Mason

They are going too far now.
Political Scrapbook have used the headline
MULTI-MILLIONAIRE JEREMY HUNT: PEOPLE ON TAX CREDITS ‘LACK SELF RESPECT AND DIGNITY'
http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/10/m ... d-dignity/
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Can anyone tell me what Truss is wittering on about?
Liz Truss, the environment secretary, said in her speech to the conference that free markets help to preserve the environment.

It’s free markets that enable people to pursue their dreams and create prosperity.

It’s access to information and free speech that helps us understand the world and make progress.

Where people don’t have these freedoms, we have seen the greatest declines in the natural world.

With species driven to extinction and habitats despoiled.

And as countries become wealthier, they want to invest in the environment, planting trees, cleaning up rivers and tackling air pollution.

I believe that a strong economy and a healthy environment go hand in hand.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... e5c6d13986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Also from Political Scrapbook:
The latest Tory attempt to park tanks on the labour movement’s lawn comes in the form of their new ‘trade union group’. The optics of this were always going to be a challenge — not helped by, errrr, registering the group’s website to a seven-bedroom country house.

The 19th century country pile — owned by the same family for 60 years and currently home to one of the group’s organising committee — comes complete with sweeping gravel driveway and large paddock.

The website, which was accidentally leaked onto Google’s cache, even lists Maggie Thatcher — without irony — as a champion of workers and trade unionists. Spoiling a planned launch at Tory conference, details of the site first appeared on Order-Order.com last Friday, with Guido Fawkes questioning the union credentials of a certain aristocrat:

“The potted proud history makes no mention of Churchill’s role in sending in the army to break the 1926 miner’s strike, when Stanley Baldwin insisted the army should not be armed, resulting in Churchill expressing disappointment that there was not to be “a little blood-letting”.
Situated on the eastern edge of the Peak District, our country house might have been the perfect venue from which to smash historic industrial action by steel workers in nearby Sheffield.

Nothing’s too good for the Tory ‘workers’, eh?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The other big announcement was on business rates. From the Tory manifesto which, it should be remembered, was only a few months back.
In Cambridgeshire, Greater Manchester and Cheshire East, we will pilot allowing local councils to retain 100 per cent of growth in business rates, so they reap the benefit of decisions that boost growth locally.
There's a quote from Jonathan Carr-West, chief executive of the Local Government Information Unit which has this:
Today George Osborne has proved his credentials as a devolutionary chancellor. Decentralising business rates could mean greater independence for councils across the country, the opportunity for many of them to unleash their economic potential locally. Until very recently, Treasury officials were briefing that decentralising business rates was out of the question, so this represents a huge step towards a more localised tax system in line with other developed economies.
Cobbled together at the last minute with a reminder "don't talk about the economy!"?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

refitman wrote:Can anyone tell me what Truss is wittering on about?
Liz Truss, the environment secretary, said in her speech to the conference that free markets help to preserve the environment.

It’s free markets that enable people to pursue their dreams and create prosperity.

It’s access to information and free speech that helps us understand the world and make progress.

Where people don’t have these freedoms, we have seen the greatest declines in the natural world.

And as countries become wealthier, they want to invest in the environment, planting trees, cleaning up rivers and tackling air pollution.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... e5c6d13986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is getting quite bizarre isn't it ?
Cutting funding so libraries close, how does that help access to information ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Where are the 'he forgot to talk about the economy' headlines ?

When Ed didn't mention the deficit he got hammered.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

refitman wrote:Can anyone tell me what Truss is wittering on about?

No idea, Refitman. Her mind is just a swirling, inchoate mass of fragments consisting of fantasy Mrs Thatcher, pork markets and vague buzz phrases.