Thursday 8th October 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 8th October 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Re: Thursday 8th October 2015

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good morning from Geneva Airport.....off to China via Paris for work

As using Air France chances of me and bag arriving in the same place at the same time can be measured in the same order of magnitude as Cameron telling the truth
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Good morning.

Not to be entirely honest I've had nightmares thanks to seeingclearly but luckily some scenes are less clear than others. Nevertheless why was I singled out for such a delicate task? Hopefully such horrors in the light of day are more likely to raise a smile than send you scurrying for cover...

Theresa awarded George one of her renowned shoe shopping trips valued at £17,500 for services to the Tory Party, but is now regretting such benevolence and feeling something of a sour puss. He was last seen seizing her kitten heels mantle by walking tall and strutting his stuff before admiring crowds in Manchester. Not wishing to be outdone as Dave eyes up his successor, Theresa joined Boris and George in a touch of man-spreading before him. 'And who would want to be in his shoes? Rumour has it that unlike IDS Theresa has never claimed expenses for undergarments, so let's hope she was wearing trousers. But let's not go there, I mean, have you seen her face recently?

Talking of eyefuls, David has been raising the hopes of other female challengers this week by seeking their company and speaking of equal opportunities. Priti Patel has been putting herself about, Nicky Morgan has thrown her hat into the ring and now I hear that Anna Sowbry, or something like that, has lost her head and made an appearance before him.

Edit: inserted 'to' into 'Not be entirely honest'
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

This Privy Council nonsense in the DT: just heard on R4 of all places that it took TCC three months to offiicially join when he became leader of the opposition. Double standards in the Telegraph or what?
Morning all.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Listening to Today I was surprised to hear the position put forward that anyone accused of historical child abuse shouldn't be a priority if they are deemed not to be a risk anymore. What.The.Fuck.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

frightful_oik wrote:This Privy Council nonsense in the DT: just heard on R4 of all places that it took TCC three months to offiicially join when he became leader of the opposition. Double standards in the Telegraph or what?
Morning all.
Yes, I heard that - I don't recall the cries of outrage at that point.

What a pile of nonsense - who the hell cared about the PC before this anyway? Only a handful of the six hundred members ever turn up so it's largely ceremonial but all of a sudden we're supposed to actually give a damn about it.

Morning all.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Decent piece by Seamus Milne:
Cameron isn’t colonising the centre. That’s fraudulent spin
Tories pose as progressives as they lurch to the right. But posturing can’t mask people’s own experience

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/com ... ives-right" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And for all his talk of a northern economic powerhouse, even Osborne conceded in Manchester that he didn’t know “if it will work”. The only other concrete expression of the supposed Tory pitch to the centre is the plan to increase the minimum wage to £9 an hour by 2020 for over 25-year-olds.

But since the only aim of the rise is to allow a far more savage cut in tax credits that will leave 3 million low-paid working families £1,300 a year worse off, while corporation and inheritance taxes have been slashed for the wealthiest, it hardly qualifies as any sort of shift to the political centre.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
This is as good as it's going to get for Cameron – and he knows it
Polly Toynbee

‘The NHS safe because of us’ was just one boast unwinding as he spoke. Secretly he must wish he could quit right now (Guardian)
Good article, in my opinion, by Polly Toynbee.

But, in many ways, David Cameron himself is rather an irrelevance if he isn't to front the Conservatives at the next General Election. Time to draw up a "hit-list" of the possible successors - but carefully. Concentrate too much on the wrong people and it could all backfire horribly.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... e-knows-it
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

A body language lesson gone wrong: why is George Osborne standing like Beyoncé? (Guardian)
I thought he was modelling himself on the children's plasticine TV character Morph. Which upsets me a bit. I liked Morph.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/sho ... 7/who-told

Edited to correct link
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

As it is Radio 4's poetry day I spent all of three minutes on composing some limerick doggerel for the occasion.

There was an idealist called Corbyn
Who was told he shouldn't be voted in.
But elected he was, to a standing ovation
Swiftly followed by defamation
And oodles of Blairite a-grumpin'.
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 08 Oct, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Good morning from Geneva Airport.....off to China via Paris for work

As using Air France chances of me and bag arriving in the same place at the same time can be measured in the same order of magnitude as Cameron telling the truth
Have a good trip.
Be thankful you weren't there the other week or Osborne would have flogged you off to the Chinese.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Hallo Campers!

As your resident fashionista, I can inform you all that this season's colour is violet. So says Vogue, and it is nevah evah wrong!

SamCam was wearing a red frock (Whistles, £150) which confused me. Is she a Corbynista in disguise? How very last season.

Watching the Tories at play en masse, it seems the violet message simply hasn't got through, does it? A sea of navy blue, royal blue, true blue, and grey - grey suits, grey hair, grey skin, grey grey grey.......

Even Theresa got it wrong! Navy Roland Mouret - the "Bitzer" dress, a snip at £1,395 - and......ORDINARY SHOES!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

I am deeply unimpressed by this. Apart from one chap in a tartan suit (oh dear) it was all a bit meh.

Next - Ephie explains why vests (M&S thermal, £12.50) are the must-have for the winter.
Think David Gandy. In a vest. PHHWWOOOAAARRRR!!!!
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Fat chance of Tories adopting violet to wear Ephie.

In colour psychology, violet relates to spirituality and is said to stimulate imagination and inspire high ideals.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

ephemerid wrote: Apart from one chap in a tartan suit (oh dear)
I've just had a vision of ex Tory MP & alleged child abuser Nicholas Fairburn.

On that note good morning all.
Hopefully we can have a day with fewer DFH impressions on the board?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

danesclose wrote:

I'm sure we can. But today is not that day. :wink:
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

yahyah wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:Good morning from Geneva Airport.....off to China via Paris for work

Have a good trip.
Be thankful you weren't there the other week or Osborne would have flogged you off to the Chinese.

At CDG and everything gone swimmingly so far......I may have been extremely unfair to Air France - to be honest my original post was exceedingly unfair to them as I assume 90% of their baggage arrives with the passenger....whereas 99.999% of what comes out of the mouth of TCC is a lie
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

danesclose wrote:

Amen to that.

Criticising the present leader of the Labour party for what he says and does is fine (Tubby's posts last night for instance - in reply to those, it now seems JC may be taking a break hence no formal statement from him yesterday) What irks people is predicting utter doom with total certainty way into the future :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

As long as you aren't changing at CDG everything should be fine.

Oh dear, well best of luck.
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

I am there now TE...the transfer from T2F to T2E was as smooth as anything (didn't have to redo security....are you listening Heathrow?)

I have never had a lost bag at CDG to be honest - mainly it is the terrible transfers that do for me. LHR is another matter....they have managed to lose it 3 times

If this trip goes well then LHR will be back to top in my list of 'Shite Airports'
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

I don't think anyone should ever again use the term "mature democracy" to describe the UK. It is making its way through the kindergarten, heading for the sandpit and at this rate probably won't stop even when it reaches the pushchair.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

bondye vwayaj avèk ou
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

I am there now TE...the transfer from T2F to T2E was as smooth as anything (didn't have to redo security....are you listening Heathrow?)

I have never had a lost bag at CDG to be honest - mainly it is the terrible transfers that do for me. LHR is another matter....they have managed to lose it 3 times

If this trip goes well then LHR will be back to top in my list of 'Shite Airports'
Glad to hear it has gone well. CDG has (or used to have) that annoying gate security thing, but it seems to be a symptom of European airports. I had assumed your issue was transfer time, the distances and the fact they seem to make limited allowances for all of the above.

To LHR add LAX ( grim) and Atlanta where you used to have to go back through security and re-check your baggage to get out of the airport after clearing customs. Haven't been there for a few years so perhaps it is different.

Safe travels.
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: As long as you aren't changing at CDG everything should be fine.

Glad to hear it has gone well. CDG has (or used to have) that annoying gate security thing, but it seems to be a symptom of European airports. I had assumed your issue was transfer time, the distances and the fact they seem to make limited allowances for all of the above.

To LHR add LAX ( grim) and Atlanta where you used to have to go back through security and re-check your baggage to get out of the airport after clearing customs. Haven't been there for a few years so perhaps it is different.

Safe travels.

Thanks TE

I was originally given a 45 min change by work travel agent but swapped it to 3 hours. I am a crap traveller (although I do it a lot) and always have to be there well before time....

Luckily travelling business so can sit in the lounge on the computer.....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

New Heathrow Airport third runway photos show scale of huge development

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... y-10217141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ohsocynical

I was beginning to think that everyone was on a slow boat to China!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

There was a sudden surge of interest in the city of Dundee on Thursday morning as photos of a slightly unusual newspaper headline did the rounds on so (Independent)
http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/d ... bJ8AjVQUDg
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

John Bull ‏@larrymeath 2 mins2 minutes ago Manchester, England

The boy stood on the burning deck
Feeling rather silly
When up his leg a flame did shoot
And burnt him on the willy.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

For those who didn't see it last night, this is well worth a watch
Denis Healey: The Best Prime Minister Labour Never Had?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=D ... r%20Had%3F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a glimpse of a young Jeremy Corbyn & one or 2 of a young Mandleson. But of most interest to me was the name calling at Labour conferences. Yep, those who did not agree with the left of the party were yelled at and called "tories" - how times don't change.
I'd love to know (and its not discussed in the film) what caused that sudden run on the £? The name Walker Slater is in the back of my mind but not at all sure if there is any connection.
Anyway Denis is funny & hard and comes across over the many years covered as a genuine person. Love his description of David Owen! (near the end)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

John Bull ‏@larrymeath 10 mins10 minutes ago Manchester, England

"The boy stood on the burning deck
His feet were covered in blisters
He'd burnt the socks right off his feet
And had to wear his sister's."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Better than discussing politics...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

This one never fails to raise a titter for me -
The Termite
by Ogden Nash

Some primal termite knocked on wood
And tasted it, and found it good!
And that is why your Cousin May
Fell through the parlor floor today.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

AngryAsWell wrote:For those who didn't see it last night, this is well worth a watch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=D ... r%20Had%3F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a glimpse of a young Jeremy Corbyn & one or 2 of a young Mandleson. But of most interest to me was the name calling at Labour conferences. Yep, those who did not agree with the left of the party were yelled at and called "tories" - how times don't change.
I'd love to know (and its not discussed in the film) what caused that sudden run on the £? The name Walker Slater is in the back of my mind but not at all sure if there is any connection.
Anyway Denis is funny & hard and comes across over the many years covered as a genuine person. Love his description of David Owen! (near the end)
I can remember the early 80s quite well. Things were a lot worse within the Labour party back then than now, however you look at it.

Come to think of it, whatever the unpleasantness outside the Tory conference this week (and I genuinely appreciate many will not have found it a nice experience) it pales into comparison with the great anti-racist/pro NF-BNP battles (sometimes almost literally) back in the day. Or the miners strike. Or even the poll tax protests.

Once upon a time, many journalists would have understood all this regardless of their own personal politics.

Not now - we mostly have a bunch of immature mewling narcissists, who are also doing their best to infantilise the rest of us :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Clive Lewis on Momentum:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/el ... r-politics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AngryAsWell wrote:For those who didn't see it last night, this is well worth a watch

Were those on the left of the party called mad bastards and Trots back then too ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Hunt file: doctors' dossier of patients 'put at risk' by health secretary

Medics compile list of names whose lives, they say, were put in danger because they were misled by Jeremy Hunt into thinking hospitals do not provide 24/7 care (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... -secretary

Anyway, back to the important, life-threatening stuff -
Labour plays down Jeremy Corbyn's failure to attend privy council (Guardian)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Moved the post to the Features & Analysis section of FlyTheNest

:rock:
Last edited by citizenJA on Thu 08 Oct, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
The Hunt file: doctors' dossier of patients 'put at risk' by health secretary

Medics compile list of names whose lives, they say, were put in danger because they were misled by Jeremy Hunt into thinking hospitals do not provide 24/7 care (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... -secretary
Thanks for the link to the NHS article.
It's not front page news.
Doctors are compiling a dossier of patients whose health they say has been endangered because the health secretary, Jeremy Hunt, has misled the public into thinking that hospitals do not provide 24/7 care.
Good.
Document, document, document.
Guilty as charged verdict.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:

Were those on the left of the party called mad bastards and Trots back then too ?
I'm not sure why the need for the passive aggression.
The film / program is of interest to anyone who is part of the Labour movement. It's dedicated to Denis, a tribute to him following his death. His "life at the top" was part of the left / right split that occurred in the 80's so obviously some of that features, I found the parallels to today interesting in that those seen to be on the right were called tories - just as they are today. I think militant were called trots, and that too has parallels to today.
I enjoyed it and thought others here might also be interested in Labours past leader's and history.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Viewing figures:
Denis Healey = 0.6 million
That cooking programme = 13 million

A fine example of the state of the electorate's interest in politics (of any age). :roll:

Good afternoon. :D
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Cameron's rant against "local authorities running schools" also contained this:

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4. David Cameron really doesn’t like local councils...

Perhaps he had his library card revoked once, or maybe he brought the wrong type of utility bill for proof of address when applying for resident parking. Whatever the reason, the prime minister does not like local authorities, at least not when it comes to running schools. Thanks to his party’s reforms, heads were “throwing off the shackles of local council control”, he said. Under his watch, every school would become an academy, he said, before adding: “And yes, local authorities running schools is a thing of the past."
OK, a quick download of the latest Schools In England Excel file reveals the following to the end of August.

LA Maintained (Community/Foundation)...........10,392
Academies / Free Schools..............................5,016

Given that there was about 200 academies at the time of the 2010 election, that implies that the DfE have to go twice as fast in converting schools to academies as they've managed so far.

In 2014/5 the number converted/sponsored was 721. They'd need to do 2,000 every year. More if Cameron gave up in 2018/9

And this ignores the 5,000+ that are Voluntary Aided / Controlled (church schools)

Simply. Not. Possible.

Great bit of that speech then - an outright lie and an impossibility.

Edit - I ought to removed free schools as they're mostly new and can therefore be compared to the 500 that they're going to open between now and 2020. That makes it worse...
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Thu 08 Oct, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AngryAsWell wrote:
yahyah wrote:

I'm not sure why the need for the passive aggression.
The film / program is of interest to anyone who is part of the Labour movement. It's dedicated to Denis, a tribute to him following his death. His "life at the top" was part of the left / right split that occurred in the 80's so obviously some of that features, I found the parallels to today interesting in that those seen to be on the right were called tories - just as they are today. I think militant were called trots, and that too has parallels to today.
I enjoyed it and thought others here might also be interested in Labours past leader's and history.

It wasn't passive aggression, certainly not any more than may have been present in the inital comment aimed at some on the left of the party. Couldn't that be seen as passive aggression too ?

It wasn't the film, or the recommendation I was commenting on.
As I posted here last week, I wanted Healey to win against Foot at the time.

Trying to remember Labour history as the left always being the baddies doesn't help anyone.
Many times it was right wingers who tried to hold an iron grip, left wingers being expelled for fairly mundane reasons and even refused membership at local branches when they moved home.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Swarthlander wrote:

Viewing figures:
Denis Healey = 0.6 million
That cooking programme = 13 million

A fine example of the state of the electorate's interest in politics (of any age). :roll:

Good afternoon. :D

But as has been pointed out, more people watched Bake Off than voted Tory.
We've recorded the Healey programme and watched Bake Off live.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@ Angry, haven't watched it yet, but is it possible that the film showing those nasty pesky lefties was deliberately placed, or was it presented completely neutrally ?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:@ Angry, haven't watched it yet, but is it possible that the film showing those nasty pesky lefties was deliberate, or was it presented completely neutrally ?
It was presented as a tribute to Denis.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Re Healey, I read somewhere the other day about an interview in (?) 2008, he'd come round to the view that Corbyn holds, that there were no circumstances in which nuclear weapons should be used in retaliation.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

gilsey wrote:Re Healey, I read somewhere the other day about an interview in (?) 2008, he'd come round to the view that Corbyn holds, that there were no circumstances in which nuclear weapons should be used in retaliation.

Just shows how 'unelectable' he'd have been then ;)
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:John Bull ‏@larrymeath 10 mins10 minutes ago Manchester, England

His feet were covered in blisters
He'd burnt the socks right off his feet
And had to wear his sister's."
The boy stood on the burning deck,
His pocket full of crackers.
A spark flew up his trouser leg,
And burned him on the knee
Whence all around had fled - The idiot"
Spike Milligan
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I like Spike Milligan's poems.

http://www.reocities.com/iplaylouder/MilliganS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

We read some of Spike's poetry out at my brother in laws funeral. We couldn't help laughing, which is just how the brother in law would have liked it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

John Wiltshire ‏@wiltshire544 31s31 seconds ago

Fallon, head of defense,
asked about Tridents pretense
said it's not that it's crap, we've got tons of that
saying No's a Capital Offence