Thursday 22nd October 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: Thursday 22nd October 2015

Post by LadyCentauria »

Amendment F: - the onscreen precis says exactly the same as it did for Amendment E but the full version must differ somehow I know not.
Ayes 269 Noes 312
Defeated. Next... (B, C, D, H, not moved so 'next' is Motion as on the Order Paper. Now, this the SNP said they will vote against and some members of other Opposition Parties said so, too, whilst not supporting any of the amendments. (Hoping against hope...)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Owen Jones used to say "I am not going to be an MP. Probably not ever."

But then later came this - "The more he spoke, the more it seemed to be a possibility.
Jones suggested that if "people at the grass roots" wanted him to run for the Commons, he might consider it.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/owen-jones-refuses ... -mp-114749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Interesting...I took a quick look on a site that has Ofsted ratings for free schools and they were reporting that One In A Million in Bradford had been rated as requires Improvement but when you click the link to go to the Ofsted page...it's not there.

This, from the school website, explains why.
Ofsted News
OIAMFS’S OFSTED report was published on Thursday 8th October 2015 and then was taken down this morning Tuesday 13th October 2015 by OFSTED.

We are disappointed with the report’s finding and certain aspects of OFSTED’s processes. The school and its solicitors are in correspondence with OFSTED regarding these aspects.

The local press had reported on the inspection report before it was taken down. You can read the article HERE
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... nspectors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like behaviour was the area that was letting it down. Given the focus on behaviour (including the appointment of a Czar) I can see why they might want to make an example of this one. I'll be interested to see what happens to it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Peter Oborne ‏@OborneTweets 11m11 minutes ago
Cameron's first big step towards not just repeal of HRA, but also quitting the European Convention of Human Rights: http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/1 ... ional-law/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Read it. It's terrifying what they are doing.

I'm with seeingclearly on how bad things seem to be ... and how bad they are making me feel today.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Interesting...I took a quick look on a site that has Ofsted ratings for free schools and they were reporting that One In A Million in Bradford had been rated as requires Improvement but when you click the link to go to the Ofsted page...it's not there.

This, from the school website, explains why.
Ofsted News
OIAMFS’S OFSTED report was published on Thursday 8th October 2015 and then was taken down this morning Tuesday 13th October 2015 by OFSTED.

We are disappointed with the report’s finding and certain aspects of OFSTED’s processes. The school and its solicitors are in correspondence with OFSTED regarding these aspects.

The local press had reported on the inspection report before it was taken down. You can read the article HERE
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... nspectors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like behaviour was the area that was letting it down. Given the focus on behaviour (including the appointment of a Czar) I can see why they might want to make an example of this one. I'll be interested to see what happens to it.
Would be interesting to know how much schools are spending on legal advice re Ofsteds. I don't blame them at all for doing so.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Shouldn't that be Sir Danny

Danny Alexander, the former U.K. Chief Secretary to the Treasury who lost his job and his parliamentary seat in May’s general election, is in the running to join China’s Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank,

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... china-bank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kate Devlin ‏@_katedevlin 2m2 minutes ago
#Evel passes - 312 to 270
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Peter Oborne ‏@OborneTweets 11m11 minutes ago
Cameron's first big step towards not just repeal of HRA, but also quitting the European Convention of Human Rights: http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/1 ... ional-law/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Read it. It's terrifying what they are doing.

I'm with seeingclearly on how bad things seem to be ... and how bad they are making me feel today.
Some incredibly thick people BTL on there. Basically fascists.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I thought without SNP the previous had been 312 to 269?!?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TobyLatimer wrote:Workie has brother you know. He's the evil one who only comes out at night to steal wheelchairs. We call him Dunkie.

Note to IDS - Created in 30 Seconds on photoshop, just send £500k please. Cheap at the price.
CR53sHnWIAAWhxk.jpg

I thought on seeing it, that it was very childish...An insight into how IDS thinks of us.
I've got news for him. Children can see through the bullshit. And they bite!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy McDonald MP ‏@AndyMcDonaldMP 8m8 minutes ago
I never thought that the Conservative & Unionist party would vote to break up the UK but that is what they have done today.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Brennan ‏@KevinBrennanMP 3m3 minutes ago
Given the Govt have just created different classes of MPs I've suggested different coloured passes to help identify who can vote on what
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

EVEL Standing Orders:
Ayes 312
Noes 270

"Now that we have created different classes of MPs in this house, might the different classes of MPs be issued with different coloured passes?" (Kevin Brennan's Point of Order, which the Speaker says 'it is not for me to comment but the Honourable Member has made it quite clearly and in his own way.')
Further Points of Order from Chris Bryant and Pete Wishart on double majorities (which we now have! so two lots of votes!) and how guidance will be given (oral or written.)
Edit to add: Points to you, @rr2 :D I came back having checked headline news on the tv channels to discover I'd forgotten to click 'submit'... Anyway, after the Tories (and predominantly UKIP) going on and on and on about how EVEL is so vitally important a Manifesto Pledge that it has to happen NOW! NOW!! NOW!!! The news stations clearly don't think it's all that important. It's not amongst the top six items for Sky's five o'clock news programme but the Beeb have just gone to it second - after the recommendation for taxes on sugar... At least Sky led with the awful news of two dead in a sword attack at a school in Sweden!
Last edited by LadyCentauria on Thu 22 Oct, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
So Scotland, Wales and NI have to pass laws by a variant on the PR system.

England passes them on first past the post.

So 41% Conservative vote in England gives 319 seats out of 533 seats. Just under 60%. To have any chance of defeating the government, over 50 rebels are needed. That's virtually impossible with the size of the "payroll" vote.

Time for PR for Westminster.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I'm sorry, I can't face being a doctor any more
My family and I won’t survive the junior doctor contract financially or personally – I’m giving up

http://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-n ... y-children" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is also heartbreaking. (Sorry - don't want to bring others down but when people write such powerful and touching pieces about issues that are so important - can't help but want to point to them.)
This year my children have been inconsolable asking why I have to look after other people and why can’t I just look after them? This year every few weeks I have not seen my children for five days straight even though we all live in the same house. This year, I have asked neighbours, friends and someone I skyped for only 20 minutes to look after my precious children.

I have been doing this for 12 years.

This year, for the first time since I was 13 years old, I have decided I can’t do it anymore. As I write this, there are tears streaming down my face because all I ever wanted to do was be a doctor and help other people. But I just can’t do it anymore. Especially when I don’t think I’m helping anyone the way I want to.

The junior doctor contract is supposed to be “cost neutral” but for someone who works part time, it means I will likely never see my salary improve. It means I could not have afforded to have either of my children. It means the female doctors who look up to me so much, will have to choose children or their careers. It will mean hospitals can make me work as many Saturdays as they like which is the only time I have left with my children – my husband has long given up on me.

It means a 30% pay cut for me from next August and anyone else who works in an emergency specialty.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
So Scotland, Wales and NI have to pass laws by a variant on the PR system.

England passes them on first past the post.

So 41% Conservative vote in England gives 319 seats out of 533 seats. Just under 60%. To have any chance of defeating the government, over 50 rebels are needed. That's virtually impossible with the size of the "payroll" vote.

Time for PR for Westminster.
And I think we might get that left and liberal alliance if Labour were to commit to bringing in PR. This rotten Tory state can't be allowed to continue ad infinitum.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

TobyLatimer wrote:Miliband D is belting up the Thames back to Westminster as we speak, after an arduous journey across the Atlantic.
Thunderbird-4.jpg

CBk3DHvWYAE4UYE.jpg
Naturally, he'll have used Thunderbird 2 for the Trans-Atlantic leg of the voyage but probably couldn't get it past the Port of London/just west of Tower Bridge...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

There are 15 MPs in the government whips office (not including the 2 who are there part-time, and have ministerial positions too).

How many MPs we losing from England? About 45?

This is terrifying stuff. Complete carte blanche. (complete tautology too- edit).
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Thu 22 Oct, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Another peculiar day at Ohso Towers.

After striking out with plumbers yesterday, I got on the phone again this morning and glory be actually spoke to one. And then you could have blown me down with a feather because he said he'd pop around as soon as he'd finished the little job he was on. And he turned up. By then I was all of a flutter.
And it got better. He's looking to buy a maisonette but is having an awful job because gazumping is rife. He said every time he finds a place the estate agents tell him they've had a better offer. I said I hated that happening and wouldn't let it happen the last time we sold up.
Then he said did I know how much one bedroomed maisonettes were going for in Bracknell? Around £190,000! Ours wouldn't be that much because it's beginning to need updating. But even so...That price is utterly criminal. And then it dawned on me...I said we're hoping to get another place within the year, would he like us to give him first choice if he was still looking, and we'd stick to the price agreed and take into account the work that needs doing in the price. He jumped at it. If it goes to plan it's going to save me an awful lot of stress and save us both Estate agents fees.

And my letter to Mr Ohso's urologist has rewarded me. He rang me a couple of days ago. Said they've got rid of the cancer, but the chemo is essential because it was aggresive and he could understand our fear. He said he'd see if he could get the endoscopy moved forward. He was lovely.
The hospital rang this morning. Bill goes in for the endoscopy and removal of the polyp [if possible] on Monday.

He's [the plumber]coming back on Wednesday to do the work...

Now I'm waiting for something to come along and put a spoke in the wheel...
Last edited by ohsocynical on Thu 22 Oct, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Brilliant news Ohso. Very glad for you and Mr Ohso.

Good idea to have a private deal with a willing and commited purchaser. I sold my house on my own and it was incredibly stress free. Just get all your ducks in a row (as someone says, not sure who) with valuations, good solicitor etc - and you should be fine.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Do London MPs or MPs in devo-max zones get excluded from any votes?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

StephenDolan wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I thought without SNP the previous had been 312 to 269?!?
Slight correction to my earlier comment. SNP said they would vote against the motion as a whole but would support very carefully selected Labour amendments, so seem to have done so (at least in part.) Some people will be away/off sick. I think the additional one will have been Sir Gerald (Gerard? I always forget!) Kaufmann. He gave a very powerful and moving speech including that he would not support any amendments at all as he opposes EVEL with every fibre of his being and would, indeed could only vote against the whole Motion.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Brilliant news Ohso. Very glad for you and Mr Ohso.

Good idea to have a private deal with a willing and commited purchaser. I sold my house on my own and it was incredibly stress free. Just get all your ducks in a row (as someone says, not sure who) with valuations, good solicitor etc - and you should be fine.
We'll be renting our next place so if this comes off, the extra work and stress having a buyer will save me, is colossal.

Get a good solicitor and hold my hand out for the money. I just want to be done with it.

Do feel guilty though at what we'll get, even like it is. Nothing is worth that sort of rise. The price will have nearly doubled in twelve years...At some point something will have to give.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 4m4 minutes ago
Ukip's Paul Nuttall hints he could be ukip's candidate for the Oldham by-election..He fought neighbouring seat etc http://huff.to/1GWCzec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Would we be in this position if we hadn't had the Scottish independence referendum ?
The wall to wall Nat squawking for a year ramped up the whole thing, gave the Tories something to use to their advantage.

Well, as someone on Andrew's blog suggested, if there's a vote to leave the EU, the Nats get their dream and go independent, they'll be racing the right wing to the bottom of the muckheap.
The Tories will turn us into their deregulation and low employment rights heaven and the Nats will have to try and compete with that to to create their paradise.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Sorry, my knickers got in a bit of a twist there.

I will learn to love the SNP...I will learn to love the SNP...I will...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lawyers express concern over ministerial code rewrite
Rewrite omits reference to international law prompting Rights Watch to lodge legal challenge

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/oct ... de-rewrite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank goodness someone is going to challenge this. They can basically just ignore whether they are complying with treaties which the UK is signed up to ... that's why I said it is terrifying.
... The latest version of the code, which was published without fanfare on Thursday last week, reveals that a key element has disappeared. The previous code, issued in 2010, said there was an “overarching duty on ministers to comply with the law including international law and treaty obligations and to uphold the administration of justice and to protect the integrity of public life”.

In the new version the sentence has been edited to say only that there is an “overarching duty on ministers to comply with the law and to protect the integrity of public life”.

Lawyers say key issues affected by the change could include decisions about whether to go to war or use military force, such as the use of drones in Syria, any decision made by an international court about the UK and any laws not incorporated into English law, such as human rights legislation and the Geneva conventions...
Today has had so much bad Tory news I have been rendered so cynical as to wonder how far in advance of the next election they will declare war on some region / regime. Not if but where.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:Would we be in this position if we hadn't had the Scottish independence referendum ?
The wall to wall Nat squawking for a year ramped up the whole thing, gave the Tories something to use to their advantage.

Well, as someone on Andrew's blog suggested, if there's a vote to leave the EU, the Nats get their dream and go independent, they'll be racing the right wing to the bottom of the muckheap.
The Tories will turn us into their deregulation and low employment rights heaven and the Nats will have to try and compete with that to to create their paradise.
Yep. Don't forget Ireland and Northern Ireland either- seriously low Corporation Tax. The North dropped its CT rate, with even Sinn Fein agreeing, because they were losing investment to the Republic all the time.

I increasingly think Salmond was much smarter than Sturgeon. He had a pretty rightwing platform for independence, in some ways, and iScotland that could (with a bit of luck on oil prices) have got Scotland established as competitive to rUK in business terms.

Sturgeon's hoovered up relatively easy leftwing support from Labour. I can't see her platform working for a newly independent country.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Do London MPs or MPs in devo-max zones get excluded from any votes?
Not as far as I've ever heard. I've never known of a Bill stating it related to England (excluding London) only, or similar variant. Probably because certain limited measures were 'devolved' to London more up from the London Boroughs than down from Westminster. The Welsh and Northern-Ireland Assemblies and Scottish Parliament control any powers which were not 'reserved to Westminster' under their various Devolution Bills. This be yet another reason why EVEL just b'ain't the same thing.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

A letter from the Telegraph.

Our toff PM can't even do posh stuff properly :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

22nd October 2015
Liz Truss Discusses Badger Cull & Confirms Commitment to Weakening Hunting Act
https://networkforanimals.org/liz-truss ... nting-act/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liz Truss appeared unconfident during lengthy questioning on DEFRA’s bTB strategy at yesterday’s EFRA cross-party committee meeting. Her responses were were familiarly jargon-filled and included increasingly constant references to the Chief Veterinary Officer, who the government is relying heavily on to spin their culling policy as credible. The job is becoming more difficult as many other top scientists speak out against the cull, being clear that it is not going to solve the problem of bTB in cattle.

At various points Ms Truss stated “it is too early to say” whether the current strategy is having an effect, yet she is already on record as being committed to the programme rolling out to Devon next year. Likewise Conservative MPs Neil Parish and George Eustice both spoke anecdotally during the discussion about findings which as yet do not exist, clearly using hearsay as a basis to continue and expand badger culling...
and further on ...
A Worrying Return To Hunting

After appearing uncomfortable discussing the issue of bTB, Liz Truss appeared far more confident on plans to amend the Hunting Act, which were suddenly withdrawn on 14th July amidst protest across the UK. She devastatingly stated that there were still plans to pursue this “as soon as parliamentary time is available”. This is a fascinating piece of prioritisation, given the major budget cuts which DEFRA are currently facing.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Telegraph Letters desk has even kindly shown photographic evidence to back up Major Robins' complaint !
It shows the offending inches of waistcoat below the jacket.

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From TBFreeEngland
History lessons, time-lines which haven't been met and now a prediction by the WMN on a consultation which won't have any official review for several weeks...
"The minor changes proposed for badger control licensing criteria are based on the latest scientific evidence and supported by the Chief Vet to improve the disease control benefits."
What is this "latest scientific evidence"?
Why would support from someone with vested interests be valid?
And why do these "minor changes" potentially allow land owned by those opposed to culling to still be included in any new cull zones?
Where's the Doc when you need him?
http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;…/story-2802…/story.html
Yes - you read that right. The Tories want to include land owned by those opposed to culling in any new cull zone. Next step - forced to actually participate in the cull. That's what did for the Welsh (Plaid) Cull proposals - forcing all landowners to participate whether they agreed with it or not. It was mutiny (even by some farmers who might have agreed with culling - they weren't going to be forced to do it - no way.)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 60m60 minutes ago
Why Osborne feels "comfortable" about his tax credits decision http://bit.ly/1RYPRxh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

seeingclearly wrote:
HindleA wrote:Independent on same subject

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 04111.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This article says that a high level of sanctions are overturned when taken to tribunal, but the fact is these are only a small percentage of the total of sanctions. If you are sanctioned and have nobody and nothing to cushion you you are unlikely to contest a decision, for a start you are unlikely to have the bus fare to even get to an appointment with anyone who could advise you. IDS has in the past quoted these low figures, and the disappearance of people from DWP benefits as evidence that people are now in work. I would argue they are either destitute or family and/or friends are bridging the gaping holes in our safety net.
Quite so, seeingclearly. Professor David Stuckler of Oxford University presented research to a Work and Pensions Select Committee early in the year, Sanctions linked to drop in benefits but few return to work report (http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2015-01-21-san ... k-report-0) that showed that once sanctioned many (ex) claimants simply disappear from view. This was one of the things that angered me about the hearing yesterday, the new members of the committee seemed unaware of all that had gone before during IDS's tenure as minister. One in particular, Richard Graham, seemed to be the replacement stooge for Nigel Mills and kept proffering excuses for the DWP by blaming the claimants, most of whom, well those discussed yesterday, had limitations or were vulnerable.

I was going to, and still shall before the week is out, write a quick summary of yesterdays events plus my initial impressions of the new Select Committee members but unexpectedly got caught up with other matters; nothing akin to obm's appraisal of QT panels for example, I simply don't have his turn of phrase. Anyway the above research is just one of the things that I shall bring to their attention when I also write to the panel and as I say Richard Graham in particular.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Why Osborne feels "comfortable" about his tax credits decision http://bit.ly/1RYPRxh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One No.10 strategist said of the pressure on the government: "Corbyn has not created any of it". The Tories believe that an alternative opposition leader, such as Yvette Cooper, would have made this week's PMQs far tougher for Cameron. Under Corbyn, they expect Labour to struggle to land blows, and to struggle to exploit those landed by others.
I can understand this. Some of us who supported Cooper/Burnham said so.

But Corbyn does bring something different in terms of mobilization. This could make tax credits much more of a "slow burner". I'd hope to see some kind of "grassroots mobilization effect" in the elections next May.

Good luck to Corbyn.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Bracknell MP Dr Phillip Lee voted for tax credit cuts which will affect thousands of families in the borough

http://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/news/138 ... edit_cuts/
Unison, the workers' union for people providing public services, say the 3,500 families in Bracknell currently receiving tax credits to help bolster their income will be 'worse off' when the changes come into effect in six months time.

Dr Phillip Lee did not respond to the New's request for comment.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
One No.10 strategist said of the pressure on the government: "Corbyn has not created any of it". The Tories believe that an alternative opposition leader, such as Yvette Cooper, would have made this week's PMQs far tougher for Cameron. Under Corbyn, they expect Labour to struggle to land blows, and to struggle to exploit those landed by others.

But Corbyn does bring something different in terms of mobilization. This could make tax credits much more of a "slow burner". I'd hope to see some kind of "grassroots mobilization effect" in the elections next May.

Good luck to Corbyn.
Although I broadly agree with you, it's not reasonable to expect them to say anything different, really.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PorFavor wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Good luck to Corbyn.
Although I broadly agree with you, it's not reasonable to expect them to say anything different, really.
Fair point.

I don't normally trust them, why should I here?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:Bracknell MP Dr Phillip Lee voted for tax credit cuts which will affect thousands of families in the borough

Unison, the workers' union for people providing public services, say the 3,500 families in Bracknell currently receiving tax credits to help bolster their income will be 'worse off' when the changes come into effect in six months time.

Fair play for the local rag there.

Hope that next time Lee does a photo-op, they ignore it.

Local rag in Malvern had a few of Harriet Baldwin in it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Bracknell MP Dr Phillip Lee voted for tax credit cuts which will affect thousands of families in the borough

But he's been so busy! Holding meetings and asking a question about Heathrow in the commons about the noise from an altered flightpath his posher constituents are pissed off about, means someone has to be ignored.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

But he's been so busy! Holding meetings and asking a question about Heathrow in the commons about the noise from an altered flightpath his posher constituents are pissed off about, someone has to be ignored.
Hold Page 17!

One of the other Worcestershire Tories was in the Malvern Gazette. He'd asked at PMQs about some bit of investment or other. Cameron said he'd make sure the (seemingly independent) body considering it would "look at it carefully".

What a waste of everyone's time.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

JeremyCorbyn4PM ‏@JeremyCorbyn4PM 3h3 hours ago
Sorry, Prime Minister, you lied on tax credits - and that's the truth, by @DawnButlerBrent: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/we ... hats-truth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #anewkindofpolitics
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tim Yates Retweeted
Dave Camoron ‏@EtonOldBoys 26 mins26 minutes ago

Aren't the Tories doing great with our Economy, Moody's, Fitch,and S&P think they are doing so good,they are downgrading the AAA Rating
Is this right?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Very good article. Very informative and knowledgeable.
Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 52m52 minutes ago
The Lords, tax credits and the British "constitution" by the peerless Professor Meg Russell. http://wp.me/p1hi4Y-16E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @ConUnit_UCL
Over the past week there have been various stories about possible retaliatory action by the government against the Lords, including a spate of claims that if it defeats the government it will be ‘suspended’. These began in an article in the Huffington Post, which cited ‘government sources’ as having stated that ‘one option is to simply suspend the Lords’ entire business, and process bills purely through the Commons’. Although this appears to be in the realm of pure fantasy, the idea was also given prominence in the Independent, and even got a mention on the BBC website. That government insiders believe that such things are possible shows a worrying lack of constitutional literacy; that journalists repeat such claims without questioning their credibility seems pretty worrying too. It is not in the government’s powers to suspend parliament. Even procedurally, the government cannot control what gets discussed in the Lords – this is subject to agreement between the ‘usual channels’ (i.e. primarily whips) in an environment where the government has no majority.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Hope Ephemerid is OK. Not heard from her for a bit - or have I missed a post? Anyway sending best wishes to her.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is man in the pub standard.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/oct ... aw-society" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lawyers have dismissed as nonsensical a proposal by the Ministry of Justice to impose a tax on the UK’s wealthiest law firms. The tax is intended to replace a charge on guilty defendants that has been widely condemned for undermining the justice system.

“This is simply a tax on success,” said Jonathan Smithers, president of the Law Society. “Singling out the legal profession to pay a levy on top of the tax they pay as businesses could damage the legal sector’s competitiveness and thereby its international standing as the jurisdiction of choice.”

The scheme said to be under consideration by the justice secretary, Michael Gove, would involve a compulsory charge on the most successful law firms, the Times reported. It said a 1% levy on the turnover of the top 100 corporate firms, which exceeds £19bn, would raise £190m
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

seeingclearly wrote:
gilsey wrote:
HindleA wrote:http://www.ersa.org.uk/media/news/ersa- ... far-enough

ERSA welcomes potential changes to benefit system, but warns they don’t go far enough
There should be much more highlighting that IDS thinks it's ok to sanction 'vulnerable people' as long as they can access hardship payments.
Hardship payments are ad interned by councils now, I believe, and take ages to sort out. I believe some councils haven't got adequate funds to meet this. If I've got this wrong, I'm happy to be corrected, but that's my understanding. Also that the claimant is rarely even told such funds exist.m
Don't quote me on this because I may be mistaken on the detail, seeingclearly, but that Tory apologist, his name escapes me for the moment, mentioned Crisis Loans and was corrected that they are no longer available and I'm pretty sure that the grand figure of £20 was quoted for council hardship payments and that only one, possibly two in exceptional circumstances, was available and as you say subject to funds. The six week wait for Universal Credit was also brought up in such context and the hardship that this caused at the very outset, loan sharks, Wonga etc. His suggestion, point them to credit unions and advise they save for a rainy day or words to that effect.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Something I heard on PMQs didn't sound quite right so...
The Prime Minister: My right hon. Friend the Foreign Secretary recently met the First Minister of Scotland to discuss Europe, but I say to the hon. Gentleman that Scotland voted to stay in the United Kingdom, and the Edinburgh agreement said that we should respect the decision of the Scottish people. We had a United Kingdom general election, and we will have a United Kingdom referendum. On this of all days I was hoping he might raise the fact that, because of the Chinese state visit, Alexander Dennis, the bus maker in his constituency, is signing a £2 billion deal that will provide thousands of jobs.
Got that - £2 billion pounds?

Well...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-34587365
A Scottish bus manufacturer has signed a deal potentially worth £2bn to build vehicles for the world's biggest producer of electric buses.
Oh, potentially?
The initial contract represents turnover of about £660m over the next 10 years. If the double decker agreement also goes ahead, that would triple the value of the deal to almost £2bn.
There you go - how to turn a £660m signed deal into £2 billion.

Incidentally...
because of the Chinese state visit
So, they managed to negotiate the contract in the few days that he was here? Amazing...
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Thu 22 Oct, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.