Monday 2nd November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 2nd November 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Monday 2nd November 2015

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

It took a while, but the eventual It Was All Ed Balls' Fault piece appears.

Kids Company finances worried me in 2008, says ex-minister

http://gu.com/p/4dnc7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by StephenDolan on Mon 02 Nov, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning

A cracker from my fave Lucy Powell

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... abour-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

more-children-inadequate-free-schools-academies-labour-says
The data found that 3.9% (104,652) of children attending free schools and academies are at institutions judged inadequate by Ofsted – the lowest inspection rating a school can be given – compared to 1.8% (87,668) of those attending maintained schools.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Re. Kids Company -

I've been reading the transcript of the select committee hearing.......it's very interesting to read what Batmangelidjh has to say.
I have a diagnosis for her.....

http://data.parliament.uk/writteneviden ... ds-company" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by refitman on Mon 02 Nov, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: link fixed
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Ephie@
That isn't working as a link, or an internet search.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... s-company/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

I think it may be on this page yahyah, directly underneath where it says "Latest Evidence" http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... s-company/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00914.jpg
ScreenShot00914.jpg (63.39 KiB) Viewed 9200 times
Last edited by TobyLatimer on Mon 02 Nov, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning

A cracker from my fave Lucy Powell

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... abour-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

more-children-inadequate-free-schools-academies-labour-says
The data found that 3.9% (104,652) of children attending free schools and academies are at institutions judged inadequate by Ofsted – the lowest inspection rating a school can be given – compared to 1.8% (87,668) of those attending maintained schools.
Yes, Lucy Powell was definitely an inspired choice as Morgan's shadow.

Morgan ought to be explaining why there are any inadequate schools in LA "control" now at all - by rights they ought to have identified them first (if academies really are the answer to life, the universe and everything) and converted them already.

is five years really not enough to have dealt with them? Could have left the thousands of Good and Outstanding schools to get on with it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... e-session/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@Toby @Adrian snap ;-)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks for those who posted it, am reading it now.

The word slippery certainly springs to mind.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

She seems shy in saying where her four years of psychotherapy training took place.

Wiki sheds no light other than
''She attended the University of Warwick where she received a first class degree in Theatre and the Dramatic Arts. At the age of 25 she was employed as a part-time psychotherapist in a project in Camberwell, south London, funded by Children in Need. She has claimed to have been practising psychotherapy for more than twenty years, although she has apparently no formal qualifications on or membership in professional self-regulatory organisations with regards to psychotherapy.''
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Interesting ;

“Psychotherapist” is not a protected title and anyone can call themselves one.

http://unsafespaces.com/2013/01/14/the- ... hotherapy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.clinpsy.org.uk/wiki/article/ ... ren-t-they" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

''What Labour must do to win in 2020: an electoral reform pact

Nat le Roux argues that a one-off electoral reform pact between Labour and some or all of the minor parties in 2020, with a common manifesto commitment to introduce a new voting system, would likely result in a broad-left coalition government. Otherwise Labour may spend a generation in opposition.''

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolic ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Labour is turning into a sect, says Tristram Hunt

Former shadow minister tells Cambridge University students party is ‘in the shit’ and they are ‘the top 1%’ who must take charge (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... stram-hunt

Assuming he is being reported correctly, this is - well, it just is. It's difficult to pick one bit that's outstanding for its wrongness.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

You are a co-owner in a family food business.
You stand outside the premises shouting 'the meat pies are off', 'don't buy the cheese, it's shit'
Who do you blame when sales/profits go down ?

That's the equivalent of what Hunt & Danczuk are doing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

Former shadow minister tells Cambridge University students party is ‘in the shit’ and they are ‘the top 1%’ who must take charge (Guardian)

Assuming he is being reported correctly, this is - well, it just is. It's difficult to pick one bit that's outstanding for its wrongness.
My heart sinks.
What's the man thinking?
I'll have to speak with him at the earliest opportunity, I think.
Cripes.

Edited to add the following couple of paragraphs
He's not really being reported correctly:
Speaking to Cambridge University’s Labour club in an event entitled Principles, Politics and Pathway to Power, Hunt said: “My fear is algorithmic politics [where because] everyone shares the same views as you on social media and in your social circles you become a sect rather than a party.” According to the Cambridge University student newspaper Varsity, Hunt told students: “You are the top 1%. The Labour party is in the shit. It is your job and your responsibility to take leadership going forward.

Asked about Corbyn’s leadership, Hunt reportedly told members of the Cambridge Labour club that Corbyn was “leader until he is not”, stressing that he had won 60% of the vote. “The way you serve the Corbyn leadership is to be as dissenting and creative as possible,” he said, adding that the party was in a “period of intellectual renewal”.
That's okay enough given where we was and his audience - I want to see a transcript. Tristram Hunt has a happy knack of letting fly one-line crackers during a lecture or a speech mostly good and reasonable when you've heard the whole enchilada.

:shock: <Tristram Hunt says Labour is becoming a cult!!!!> :shock:

oh, please...
a damned tabloid, sometimes
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 02 Nov, 2015 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Good for Chris York at Huff Post for this piece

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11 ... 1446453578" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

If the "top 1%" must take charge of Labour, may I suggest.....

Labour has 231 MPs. If we assume that the MPs and Shadow Ministers are the "top", then the "top 1%" is - 2.3 people.

Corbyn (Leader); Watson (Deputy Leader); and a third of McDonnell (Shadow Chancellor) - 2.3 people.

Thank you, Tristram. The "top 1%" are exactly where they are supposed to be......because we voted for them.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Interesting (well that's one of the words I'm thinking) that he comes out with this now. I heard him on Any Questions on Friday - and there was a question about how long Corbyn would last as leader. He said all the right things ... that Corbyn had won the contest with a massive mandate - 60% of the membership - and he deserved some space and time to settle in and show his worth as leader etc etc - but the way he said it I found utterly unconvincing. I said to myself - there's someone whose tactics are based on assuming they need to give Corbyn a decent period of time (till just after next May maybe) during which the assumption is Corbyn will mess up big time and they can get him out ... and he'll try not to be seen as a major stirrer so he can get back into some position of power subsequently. Sorry - but that is how it came across to me. So this Cambridge talk doesn't seem that surprising. What I am more than disgusted about is the elitist assumptions evident in his top 1% therefore they must provide the future leadership. As PF said - so many things wrong with that don't know where to start. But I will end by saying I damn well hope that spurs on the fantastic future Labour leaders who are out there who aren't at Cambridge - or possibly any other university - to even greater and harder work to prove the so and so utterly wrong.

And yes citizen - please speak to him at the earliest opportunity.
Working on the wild side.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

And thanks to all for posting proper links for me......
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I suppose the only other thing one can add about Hunt's talk ... is that he has probably ruled himself out of contention for any future contest re leadership with those remarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

My partner and I are in active positive conflict at this moment over Tris Hunt's political philosophy. We're in disagreement. Okay. This is completely okay. Yes. My partner hasn't read the letters or speeches I've been sent or have tracked down from recent Tristram Hunt describing himself. I have read these documents, speeches and my opinion is that Tris Hunt, speaking to Cambridge Labour students, were given a kick up the a** by him telling them to bust a constructive move.

Please find below my rendering of Tristram Hunt's Cambridge students for Labour speech.

Tris Hunt to Cambridge Labour students:
We are Labour, you enjoy privileges you are fortunate to enjoy and you must work for the good of the entire Labour party. We are currently led by Corbyn, our rightful Labour party leader. If we disagree we do it while we keep the party united, not breaking apart, we stay together. We must use our enthusiasm during this time for the benefit of the Labour party as a whole.

Tris Hunts stops his lecture and slowly walks around the room looking upon each student, slowly making his way around the whole lot.
Reaching the front but not re-taking the podium, Tris Hunt stands at the front, level with his group and speaks again, this time in a controlled roar.

Tris Hunt: You hear what I'm saying to you!!

Labour students: Sir! Yes, Sir!

Tris Hunt: I can't hear you! I can't hear you!! I want to HEAR YOU!!!

Labour students: Sir! We're enthusiastic and creative, Sir!

Tris Hunt: Let's hear some barbaric yawlp, Cambridge Labour!

Labour students: Sir! YYYyyAAaaLLLllllPPPppP, Sir!

Tris Hunt: Go! Go! Go! Go!

The entire troupe runs laps around Cambridge University grounds before tea and conversation in the Cambridge Labour student lounge.

Utterly unlike who Tristram Hunt is in reality - Sergeant Major Hunt working a crowd of subordinate like the US soldiers I've been introduced to and been rather overwhelmed by.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I suppose the only other thing one can add about Hunt's talk ... is that he has probably ruled himself out of contention for any future contest re leadership with those remarks.
Aw, damn...Sergeant Major as good as it gets for Hunty then.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:She seems shy in saying where her four years of psychotherapy training took place.

Wiki sheds no light other than
''She attended the University of Warwick where she received a first class degree in Theatre and the Dramatic Arts. At the age of 25 she was employed as a part-time psychotherapist in a project in Camberwell, south London, funded by Children in Need. She has claimed to have been practising psychotherapy for more than twenty years, although she has apparently no formal qualifications on or membership in professional self-regulatory organisations with regards to psychotherapy.''
(my bold)

Not a good sign.
It's essential to know where people received qualification they're publicly using.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Interesting (well that's one of the words I'm thinking) that he comes out with this now. I heard him on Any Questions on Friday - and there was a question about how long Corbyn would last as leader. He said all the right things ... that Corbyn had won the contest with a massive mandate - 60% of the membership - and he deserved some space and time to settle in and show his worth as leader etc etc - but the way he said it I found utterly unconvincing. I said to myself - there's someone whose tactics are based on assuming they need to give Corbyn a decent period of time (till just after next May maybe) during which the assumption is Corbyn will mess up big time and they can get him out ... and he'll try not to be seen as a major stirrer so he can get back into some position of power subsequently. Sorry - but that is how it came across to me. So this Cambridge talk doesn't seem that surprising. What I am more than disgusted about is the elitist assumptions evident in his top 1% therefore they must provide the future leadership. As PF said - so many things wrong with that don't know where to start. But I will end by saying I damn well hope that spurs on the fantastic future Labour leaders who are out there who aren't at Cambridge - or possibly any other university - to even greater and harder work to prove the so and so utterly wrong.

And yes citizen - please speak to him at the earliest opportunity.
Consider it done. I'll report back. His surgery times are the first and third Fridays of each month, I think that's unchanged.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

What a Tristram Hunt, eh? :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:What a Tristram Hunt, eh? :twisted:
What's in a name? Ask Tristam and Jeremy. A pair of...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From the G live blog:
According to a ConservativeHome poll of party members (761 of them replied), more than two thirds of them are likely to vote to leave the EU in the referendum.

Paul Goodman, ConservativeHome’s editor, says support for Out amongst Tories seems to be getting stronger.
Surprised Cameron and co aren't trying to get a bill through Parly that gives banks, hedge funds, big corporations etc a vote that counts for much more in the referendum. I wouldn't put anything past them now ...

See there's another big hedge fund magnate about to give a large donation to the Brexit campaign. Imagine the services and initiatives all the EU in / out campaigning funds could support if they were diverted ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

More on the Hunt speech - from the G live blog again:
He said: “If we’re not clear about what happened and why, we’re going to be in trouble.” However, he added that there was “no desire out there for David Cameron”.

Mr Hunt said: “People are going to be smashed by the government’s policies, and we can only help them in government.”
I find myself increasingly taking exception to the 'we can only help them in government' line. That seems defeatist, one track and lazy. Yes - I agree we obviously want to be in government in order to be able to fundamentally change things for the better. But we can, and should , do all that is possible when not in government to shift things too. Effective opposition - be an effective opposition. Then do as Corbyn seems to have done for a while and other Labour MPs are doing more and more - be a strong part of other movements and campaigns.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:From the G live blog:
According to a ConservativeHome poll of party members (761 of them replied), more than two thirds of them are likely to vote to leave the EU in the referendum.

Paul Goodman, ConservativeHome’s editor, says support for Out amongst Tories seems to be getting stronger.
Surprised Cameron and co aren't trying to get a bill through Parly that gives banks, hedge funds, big corporations etc a vote that counts for much more in the referendum. I wouldn't put anything past them now ...

See there's another big hedge fund magnate about to give a large donation to the Brexit campaign. Imagine the services and initiatives all the EU in / out campaigning funds could support if they were diverted ...

It makes you wonder who he's going to fall back on to pull his chestnuts out of the fire on this one. (Apologies for any unpleasant mental images that that may have invoked.)

Or will he change sides?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Hunt and Danczuk launch new blitz on the enemy. Posters, badges, t-shirts & everything to display new logo
HUNT .jpg
HUNT .jpg (57.01 KiB) Viewed 9001 times
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Apparently whats-her-face, who wanted to stand in Oldham, has been blocked by the Unions. According to the Kipper: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... nions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

There was very little of interest at the Number 10 lobby briefing. But we were told that David Cameron will be on ITV’s This Morning any moment now, so I will keep an eye on that. (Politics Live, Guardian - 11.29)
Anyone?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
There was very little of interest at the Number 10 lobby briefing. But we were told that David Cameron will be on ITV’s This Morning any moment now, so I will keep an eye on that. (Politics Live, Guardian - 11.29)
Anyone?
Not biting PF ... but I will now continue hoovering with added vigour and venom.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:Apparently whats-her-face, who wanted to stand in Oldham, has been blocked by the Unions. According to the Kipper: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... nions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nobody "blocked" her any more than they "blocked" anybody else who didn't get through at that stage (and there were many others, including left wingers)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kipper and Tory tactics re Oldham have pretty well been declared and staked out already .... left wing extremists taking over and dictating to Labour - threats to national, economic and family security from not wearing poppies at all times and in all places (including having them pinned to your bare flesh while in bed) - immigrants swarming like flies and responsible for all cases of sex abuse (and if they could vote they'd no doubt vote Labour).

Sorry for that. But we've been well warned.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dan Jarvis ‏@DanJarvisMP 52m52 minutes ago
#Housingcrisis being debated @HouseofCommons today. Worth reading @JohnHealey_MP's report on possible solutions: …https://smithinstitutethinktank.files.w ... ations.pdf
I'm reading chapters of it inbetween bursts of hoovering. It's a good report with analysis and stats showing up the trends and how we got to where we are now. The culprit policies and their impact are well spelled out.

And he's not above pointing to Labour and his own failings such as this:
Alongside these big steps backwards in policy, the tale of the last five years is partly an
organisational and administrative failure – a failure to join the dots across government.
Any government that has one department – DWP - pledging to cut down on benefit
spending, while another – DCLG – makes policy changes which increases it (like the shift
to near-market social rents which actively and deliberately inflates the benefits bill) is not
functioning properly.

I know from my experience in government that achieving effective joint-working between
departments can be tough. In my year as housing minister, I didn’t have a single bilateral
meeting with any Work and Pensions minister despite the close interplay between housing
and housing benefit. That has to change.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post-truth "journalism", in support of the main proponents of post-truth politics.

EDIT: the NEC produces a shortlist but the CLP then gets to decide from it (this is how by-elections have been run since the Kinnock era; there have been few "stitch ups" in this regard since 2010 at least, and at least one that can be thus described - Rotherham - was arguably fully justified)

There is also a fairly clear favourite for this one - it will be a genuine surprise if McMahon doesn't get the nod.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Dan Jarvis ‏@DanJarvisMP 52m52 minutes ago
#Housingcrisis being debated @HouseofCommons today. Worth reading @JohnHealey_MP's report on possible solutions: …https://smithinstitutethinktank.files.w ... ations.pdf
I'm reading chapters of it inbetween bursts of hoovering. It's a good report with analysis and stats showing up the trends and how we got to where we are now. The culprit policies and their impact are well spelled out.

And he's not above pointing to Labour and his own failings such as this:
Alongside these big steps backwards in policy, the tale of the last five years is partly an
organisational and administrative failure – a failure to join the dots across government.
Any government that has one department – DWP - pledging to cut down on benefit
spending, while another – DCLG – makes policy changes which increases it (like the shift
to near-market social rents which actively and deliberately inflates the benefits bill) is not
functioning properly.

I know from my experience in government that achieving effective joint-working between
departments can be tough. In my year as housing minister, I didn’t have a single bilateral
meeting with any Work and Pensions minister despite the close interplay between housing
and housing benefit. That has to change.
Good report, thank you.

https://smithinstitutethinktank.files.w ... ations.pdf
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

The Torygraph are in overdrive. Does Simon know all this ?
Talk to any non-Corbynite Labour MP these days and they're fretting about deselection, counting the number of new members of their local party, waiting for the bullets to start flying when those new members start pushing for an MP who shares their views.
Labour is now a party dominated by fear. The fear of being purged is keeping many Labour people quiet about their fears over the direction their party is taking

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... begun.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The likes of Danczuk and Gapes are full of s***, so a good purge may do them good.
Send 'em some All Bran and prunes.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Sounds like Dave's logjam episode http://news.sky.com/video/1439265/camer ... every-week" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

MPs don't have to take account or respond to communications from people other than their constituents.

So how does a Labour member register their feelings about the MPs who are doing their best to ruin Labour's chances next May ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:The likes of Danczuk and Gapes are full of s***, so a good purge may do them good.
My mum used to get fits of giggles telling us about the time she gave a group of schoolboys who were teasing / bullying her in the playground a present of laxative chocolate from which she had carefully melted off the word 'laxative' before she shared it out. Caused chaos during afternoon lessons.

I had no idea there was such a thing as 'laxative' chocolate.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tour de force there Robert.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Well, the good news is there is now a bus once a week, on a Tuesday, to go to our local small town.

The bad news is it adds more than ten miles onto the seven miles usual travel distance, take 45 minutes and would cost £8.40 for two adult returns.
Charging people extra to sit on a route that takes you miles out of your way doesn't seem a good way to encourage people to leave their cars at home, or fair to people on low incomes who may not be able to afford a car.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Kate Godfrey is really pissing me off.

Having failed to unseat Jeremy Lefoy in 2015 - and losing 2,000 votes in the process - now she's after Oldham where there is a well-known and respected candidate already. He is likely to win the nomination, so Kate is now blaming stalking and bullying and trolling and all manner of vile behaviour for her failure to galvanise the CLP into supporting her.

This, obviously, is all Corbyn's fault.

Along with her books - fiction and non-fiction, apparently - she has written an execrable piece for the Torygraph on Seamus Milne, who she accuses of being a "fascism-apologist" and whose appointment as Corbyn's advisor is, she says, "morally and ethically wrong".

Danzcuk in a frock.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:The likes of Danczuk and Gapes are full of s***, so a good purge may do them good.
My mum used to get fits of giggles telling us about the time she gave a group of schoolboys who were teasing / bullying her in the playground a present of laxative chocolate from which she had carefully melted off the word 'laxative' before she shared it out. Caused chaos during afternoon lessons.

I had no idea there was such a thing as 'laxative' chocolate.

450.jpg
450.jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 6855 times

Comes in handy for the naughty kids on Halloween.