Wedesday 4th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Wedesday 4th November 2015

Post by utopiandreams »

Good morning.. or is it?

I just popped over to the G for a quick look at Steve Bell's offering (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... va-cartoon); the stuff of nightmares! I see they've not got it open for comments yet. Probably wise.

Anyway shall catch up with yesterday's posts while I'm here.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Wedesday 4th November 2015

Post by yahyah »

Morning UP.

The Telegraph are reporting that the V&A have changed their minds on exhibiting Thatcher's tat.

Wonder if they got a little, ...er.... gentle persuasion ?
Whittingdale is one of those who thought people would want to see the stuff, and that a national institution should show them.

From the V&A website:
''The Victoria and Albert Museum is a Non-Departmental Public Body of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

This means that it operates at 'arm's length' from central government, but it receives much of its funding in the form of Grant in Aid from the Government.
Around 60% of the V&A's funding is received from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport
.''
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning. Radio 4 about to talk to Jhunt about his new junior doctor contract ..... I might need tranquilising.
... In the seven weeks of the dispute so far, Hunt’s tactics have throughout been aggressive, self-defeatingly crude and sometimes plain stupid. He tried – and failed – to divide juniors from their union. He pledged one key thing to MPs last week (that no junior doctor would be worse off) only to then contradict himself the next morning. His refusal to drop his threat to impose a new contract was a stance that has hindered the resumption of negotiations with the BMA. It was guaranteed to reduce the chances of the genuine reconciliation and deal-doing spirit that this situation needs before NHS services are disrupted and many thousands of patients find their surgery or outpatient appointment cancelled. Hunt also chose to announce his latest offer through the media rather than direct to Malawana and his colleagues. They could be forgiven for seeing that as rude or even calculated to either antagonise them.

Hunt’s package of measures is highly calculated and archly political. It may sway enough junior doctors to make the vote in favour of industrial action more like 60/40...
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... rs-and-nhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working on the wild side.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

He sounds somewhat subdued.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:He sounds somewhat subdued.
He's still blaming the BMA for all the problems though. Right on script. He's trying to sound ever so reasonable IMO - and the BMA are the terrible naughty ones who won't behave.

Jim Naughtie doing a good job of this I think. He seems to have understood what 'negotiate' and 'impose' means. A good starting point. Jhunt is wilfully not understanding it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 39s40 seconds ago
Relations have not broken down with @TheBMA says Jeremy Hunt @BBCr4today
Sounds almost Clintonesque.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 2m2 minutes ago
I cannot negotiate over a manifesto commitment on 24 hour NHS saysJeremy Hunt @BBCr4today
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Herald Scotland
‏@heraldscotland
SNP in call to Westminster to devolve tax credits http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1393 ... x_credits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Ian Murray ‏@IanMurrayMP 14m14 minutes ago
Ian Murray Retweeted Herald Scotland
More grievance rather than action from the SNP. Scotland Bill allows tax credits resolution already. #justdoit
Who is right on this? Anyone clear?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

utopiandreams wrote:Good morning.. or is it?

I just popped over to the G for a quick look at Steve Bell's offering (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... va-cartoon); the stuff of nightmares! I see they've not got it open for comments yet. Probably wise.

Anyway shall catch up with yesterday's posts while I'm here.

It's open for comment now, UD.

I got it wrong yesterday - Steve has OGRPPFG in the Beau Geste tank outfit; Gidiot in her funeral hat/suit (probably due to his tears at her funeral); and IDS in one of her hideous bright blue suits (which always looked to me like my Auntie Gladys's Sunday best Crimplene.....) Nosferatu looks just like Pauline from the Jobcentre on League of Gentlemen......

If the V&A have to show the clothes, I pity the millionaires who wanted to bid for them. What WILL they wear now? Perhaps they'll channel Theresa - one of her futuristic Roland Mouret numbers would do, and a snip at £1,395 off the peg! And what shoes!!!!!!

Perhaps an exhibition is a good thing - people might throw rotten eggs.....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Hokey cokey pig in a pokey [youtube]Or6CwOyx30I[/youtube]
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

This is Bracknell - wondering what Ohso will have to report later.
BREAKING NEWS: Huge explosion rocks industrial estate in Berkshire sending massive fireball into the night sky
Raging inferno has engulfed at least one property in town industrial site
Believed to be the NEP Broadcasting building, with firefighters attending
Flames 30ft high lighting up night sky after blaze started at 11pm Tuesday
No word on casualties as witnesses report hearing a number of explosions
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... blaze.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. Education Select Committee this morning on the role of the Regional Schools Commissioners.

Witness(es):
Dr Tim Coulson, Regional Schools Commissioner (East of England & North East London), Department for Education
Dominic Herrington, Regional Schools Commissioner (South East and South London), Department for Education
Martin Post, Regional Schools Commissioner (South Central & North West London), Department for Education
Munira Mirza, Deputy Mayor for Education and Culture, Greater London Authority

Sean Harford, National Director for Education, Ofsted
Robert Hill, Education consultant, and Visiting Senior Research Fellow, Kings College London
Ben Durbin, Head of Impact, National Foundation for Education Research
Frank Green CBE, Schools Commissioner, Department for Education

Can be seen on here when it starts at 9:30am

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Inde ... f2fff553c0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll be interested to hear what Ms Mirza has to say - if she comes out with "elected representatives of London should have oversight of London schools" I wouldn't disagree but she's an ex Policy Exchange wonk (yeah, another one...they've infested every single area of education) it might be just a "everything's wonderful, all going to plan" load of nonsense.

Second session has Robert Hill who's written evidence was very well argued...and is someone I should be meeting next week when we have a meeting about our informal coalition of schools in the area.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Herald Scotland
‏@heraldscotland
SNP in call to Westminster to devolve tax credits http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1393 ... x_credits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

More grievance rather than action from the SNP. Scotland Bill allows tax credits resolution already. #justdoit

The Scotland Bill is making its way through Parliament now.

It allows for - MSPs to set income tax rates/bands; MSPs to top-up tax credits and child benefits; and MSPs will be able to design new benefits within the scope of the devolved powers from April 2017 provided they cost them and pay for them with Scottish taxes.
As yet, there is no clarity on whether Universal Credit can be altered by the Scottish Government.

See - http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0047/00473452.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Swinney is opposing these concessions from Westminster because he says they are not enough and do not comply with the recommendations of the Smith Commission on devolution.
The SNP needs to be careful here - they could, quite easily, lose the few concessions they have now if they turn them down; and I can't help feeling that they have got cold feet on this issue.
I'm not convinced that the Scottish Government (whoever is in charge) could raise enough tax to pay for the promises the SNP have made on social security - and my feeling is that the SNP are using this issue as a political football in their war of attrition with Westminster, to the detriment of those they represent.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sarah Wollaston MP ‏@sarahwollaston 9h9 hours ago
Briefing journalists before negotiating team, really, when trying to resolve a tense dispute? http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... s-pay-rise" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Do you think she might just stand as an Independent next time round? If Osborne becomes Tory leader these tactics will only get worse and more widespread.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ephemerid wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Herald Scotland
‏@heraldscotland

It allows for - MSPs to set income tax rates/bands; MSPs to top-up tax credits and child benefits; and MSPs will be able to design new benefits within the scope of the devolved powers from April 2017 provided they cost them and pay for them with Scottish taxes.
As yet, there is no clarity on whether Universal Credit can be altered by the Scottish Government.

See - http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0047/00473452.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Swinney is opposing these concessions from Westminster because he says they are not enough and do not comply with the recommendations of the Smith Commission on devolution.
The SNP needs to be careful here - they could, quite easily, lose the few concessions they have now if they turn them down; and I can't help feeling that they have got cold feet on this issue.
I'm not convinced that the Scottish Government (whoever is in charge) could raise enough tax to pay for the promises the SNP have made on social security - and my feeling is that the SNP are using this issue as a political football in their war of attrition with Westminster, to the detriment of those they represent.
Thank you. So - if the bit in bold is accurate - the SNP / Scottish govt would already have the power to mitigate or remove the impact of tax credit cuts. That would seem to make their argument with Labour - the SNP want to remove the specific wording re pledging to do that from their amendment rather daft ... and makes them look like they are running scared of such a clear pledge.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes 1m1 minute ago
Exc: Tory MP tells me he will resign the whip if Osborne doesn't do enough to help low paid hit by tax credit cuts http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/poli ... 604202.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Who is right on this? Anyone clear?

Thank you. So - if the bit in bold is accurate - the SNP / Scottish govt would already have the power to mitigate or remove the impact of tax credit cuts. That would seem to make their argument with Labour - the SNP want to remove the specific wording re pledging to do that from their amendment rather daft ... and makes them look like they are running scared of such a clear pledge.
David Mundell is fairly clear on the subject:
Scottish ministers will be able to “top up” all areas of the new universal credit (UC) even where these remain under the policy control of Westminster, the UK government said.
The Smith Commission agreement on more powers for Holyrood had originally indicated that only the housing cost elements of UC could be “varied” by MSPs at Holyrood.
But Mr Mundell said yesterday: “All elements will be able to be topped up. So if the Scottish Government wanted to treble jobseekers’ allowance, they could.” The UK government has already indicated that other elements of universal credit – child tax credit and working tax credit – would also be devolved.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... z3qVmM9XGm
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Exc: Tory MP tells me he will resign the whip if Osborne doesn't do enough to help low paid hit by tax credit cuts http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/poli ... 604202.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
But but Labour in crisis!

When Danczuk etc pop their head up for Corbyn bashing interviews, how about they're asked their views on the tax credits changes, PIP etc. I'm getting fed up with them being squirrel breeders.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Minister signals end of FM radio: Ed Vaizey says digital broadcast is 'the future' despite one in four new cars not being fitted with DAB radios
FM radio may be switched off permanently in next few years, minister says
Culture Minister Ed Vaizey believes Digital Audio Broadcast radio is ‘future’
It could potentially force millions of people to pay for a supposed upgrade
One in four new cars are still not fitted with a digital radio, figures reveal

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3qVuO0HLm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
I wish they'd just stop this. If they do this switchover it will basically leave us without radio access. We don't get a DAB signal of any kind - good, bad, indifferent or intermittent. You read the comments and it seems no one else gets a decent signal either. This is just rubbish. It's also very focused on cars ... and new ones at that. We are the kingdom of old cars here. We all just keep driving them until they don't work. And radios are used out doors a lot. Not exclusively in cars or indoors.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

So cabinet, about this snoopers charter. Can all those who have been lurking around FlyTheNest please leave the room now ?
4618532529_266afa7159.jpg
4618532529_266afa7159.jpg (64.22 KiB) Viewed 8813 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
But but Labour in crisis!

When Danczuk etc pop their head up for Corbyn bashing interviews, how about they're asked their views on the tax credits changes, PIP etc. I'm getting fed up with them being squirrel breeders.
I noticed a rare tweet from Danczuk that actually focused on the substance of politics - he's written an article for Rochdaleonline on the appalling increase in homelessness in Rochdale. Maybe he's realising he actually needs to show he's doing something other than slagging off the Labour party in the Mail and Sun.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes 24m24 minutes ago
Exc: Hands off universal credit cash, warns Duncan Smith ally after Osborne attempts a raid http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/poli ... 604202.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
'Why have a surplus if you don't protect the poor?': Architect of Tory welfare reform tells Osborne to rethink his tax credit cuts
Philippa Stroud warns plans could discourage low-paid from seeking work
Sent a policy paper setting out ways he could soften cuts and save money
Sets out four options including offering work advice to families losing out
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -work.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Work advice ... that'll go such a long way to offset the cuts.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ben Bradshaw ‏@BenPBradshaw 8m8 minutes ago
Why on earth is the Government spending £436 million subsiding filthy diesel generators while killing #solarenergy?
And fracking under National Parks, AONBs and SSIs now on - despite saying they wouldn't allow it.

Greenest government ever. Should be greenest electorate ever.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Trussell trust evidence to parliament. Apologies for not paying attention if this has already been posted.

http://data.parliament.uk/writteneviden ... 20630.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(For those interested in the position of TT on advisors in food banks, please see points 20-22.)

Edited to include last sentence.
Last edited by seeingclearly on Wed 04 Nov, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Guess what...Suella Fernandes has just cited that dodgy "research" that the New Schools Network trumped up that Warwick Mansell batted away last week.

Just as a reminder...she's the chair of Ms Birbalsingh's free school...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Guess what...Suella Fernandes has just cited that dodgy "research" that the New Schools Network trumped up that Warwick Mansell batted away last week.

I know this is a trite response of no substance ... but I can't help thinking of a fatty spread (but definitely not butter) when I see her name. No idea what that's about - some faulty synaptic firing on my part.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I get the feeling that cameron will automatically fail on his aim to get a fully academized system before he packs up, not because of the rate of converting failing schools but that a lot of Outstanding schools would simply refuse to play ball.

Coulson admitted that some HTs of Outstanding maintained schools don't want to see him - the question should be asked as to why on earth is he talking to them?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

A false epiphany: Easterhouse reveals the chaos of Iain Duncan Smith’s welfare revolution. . http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/we ... -s-welfare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes 24m24 minutes ago
Exc: Hands off universal credit cash, warns Duncan Smith ally after Osborne attempts a raid http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/poli ... 604202.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
'Why have a surplus if you don't protect the poor?': Architect of Tory welfare reform tells Osborne to rethink his tax credit cuts
Philippa Stroud warns plans could discourage low-paid from seeking work
Sent a policy paper setting out ways he could soften cuts and save money
Sets out four options including offering work advice to families losing out
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -work.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Work advice ... that'll go such a long way to offset the cuts.
"Why have a surplus if you don't protect the poor?" is a good line, though.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Guess what...Suella Fernandes has just cited that dodgy "research" that the New Schools Network trumped up that Warwick Mansell batted away last week.

Dear me...she's just mentioned it again to the new panel!

:roll:

Edit - and got slapped down by the Ofsted national director who told her exactly why the figures were a bit dodgy.
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Wed 04 Nov, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Headline for article just up on Telegraph Politics.
Tom Harris: The Labour I love is in hock to Trots, Islamists, and woman-hating Twitter trolls
Jeremy Corbyn and his friends at Stop the War have plunged my party into a living nightmare. And yet, somehow, I can't bring myself to leave
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... rolls.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Accompanied by a photo of people in scary balaclava / ghost / monster masks holding a large banner saying Class War.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Harris has gone back on a few days ago, when he announced he *was* quitting the party.

Maybe it belatedly dawned on him his utility as a "useful idiot" for the right wing press would have been considerably diminished if he had (cf Hodges)?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bit of good news.
Rachel Reeves ‏@RachelReevesMP 2m2 minutes ago
Thrilled that @Burberry will be opening a new manufacturing centre at Leeds South Bank-fantastic news for Yorkshire! http://bit.ly/1Oo4YCb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Cameron is warned key EU reform objective 'may be illegal'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34720745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Britain's top civil servant has warned ministers that banning EU migrants from claiming tax credits for four years, a key demand in their EU renegotiations, could be found to be illegal.
The BBC understands Sir Jeremy Heywood has said any ban lasting longer than six months could be discriminatory and may be cut to a "few weeks or months".
David Cameron is expected to set out his goals in more detail next week.
They are still expected to include the four year ban on tax credit claims...

Sir Jeremy is understood to believe the government has three options.
Firstly it could attempt to get treaty change on the matter, something he believes to be unlikely
Secondly, the government could ensure any policy affecting EU migrants would also affect British citizens to avoid accusations of discrimination
It could limit tax credits but only for a few weeks or months, not years, an option seen as being more likely
Action on migrants benefits is the most important of the policies the prime minister will next week put to Donald Tusk, president of the European Council, in a long-awaited letter.
Last November David Cameron made stopping working migrants from receiving benefits before they had been resident in the UK for four years a red line for Britain staying in the EU.
This is a ridiculous charade. Cameron has known all this for yonks. He went ahead with this stupid red line drawing anyway ... all part of the pre election deception.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

TobyLatimer wrote:A false epiphany: Easterhouse reveals the chaos of Iain Duncan Smith’s welfare revolution. . http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/we ... -s-welfare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Toby, for posting this, Easterhouse is of course very emblematic because of IDS and his visit there, but there are similar places up and down the country. i couldn't post at all for a while because it was too hard to do so, when I say I miss Ed and wish he was heading up government, that's largely because I do believe he would have repealed and/or amended those two key bits of legislation that have allowed nearly all the other legislation to do what it does, namely WRA and H&SC, and that he would have overseen the end of things like UC. I still have overwhelming feelings of real anger relating to people I know going through assessments now, and hardship too, who have no respite in sight for the foreseeable future. I ŵish more articles were saying it like this one does, I'm still seeing on a daily basis people defending Tory policies, and think you wouldn't be doing that if you were being pushed into the places that all these changes push people to. While I have concerns for other areas of government really they do not really figure that much if you haven't got the money to eat or keep your home. And when whole extended families are stuck in some part of this downward spiral then everything unravels because there's so little to juggle. I wish the UN people would move on this, but my guess is that it will take years and IDS will be long gone, and making some fortune on the lecture circuit by the time any conclusions are drawn.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 3m3 minutes ago
Labour MP @SimonDanczuk hits back hard at 'champagne socialist' Chris Mullin's hint that he should be deselected. http://huff.to/1SnRx3I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He says he's going to put in a complaint to Labour re Mullin for 'inciting deselection'. Yes, really.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:This is Bracknell - wondering what Ohso will have to report later.
BREAKING NEWS: Huge explosion rocks industrial estate in Berkshire sending massive fireball into the night sky
Raging inferno has engulfed at least one property in town industrial site
Believed to be the NEP Broadcasting building, with firefighters attending
Flames 30ft high lighting up night sky after blaze started at 11pm Tuesday
No word on casualties as witnesses report hearing a number of explosions
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... blaze.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We didn't hear a thing!

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... e-10382831
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Labour MP @SimonDanczuk hits back hard at 'champagne socialist' Chris Mullin's hint that he should be deselected. http://huff.to/1SnRx3I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He says he's going to put in a complaint to Labour re Mullin for 'inciting deselection'. Yes, really.
Good grief.

Is he not familiar with the term "Author of his own misfortune" ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Champagne socialist?

What the bloody hell? Get rid of this idiot - he's not helping matters one little bit.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Headline for article just up on Telegraph Politics.
Tom Harris: The Labour I love is in hock to Trots, Islamists, and woman-hating Twitter trolls
Jeremy Corbyn and his friends at Stop the War have plunged my party into a living nightmare. And yet, somehow, I can't bring myself to leave
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... rolls.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Accompanied by a photo of people in scary balaclava / ghost / monster masks holding a large banner saying Class War.
Have to laugh when people publish such photos as if they are genuinely scary, likewise quoting Trots and Stop the War protesters as being the real nightmare. Don't they think that if these were the people waging class war they wouldn't be looking like this at all! Equating Labour with Islamists rather than equality , why does anyone even take this stuff seriously? Genuine question.... it gets up my nose too, because it's such bollocks. People who identify with being Labour and say things like this, they seem to have a lot in common with kippers....
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its all about Danczuk's addictive, insatiable need to be in the headlines. At all times, for any reason, at any cost to the causes he purports to back.

Seriously, a shrink would have a field day with him ;)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

" Last week he asked the same question six times. Cameron has now had a week to think about it, so he will ask again. Can he guarantee no one will be worse off from the tax credit changes.

Cameron says he can guarantee that there will be a tax allowance that saves people money, and that there will be a national living wage of £7.20. As for the tax credit changes, he will answer details about them when they are announced. If Corbyn wants to ask the same question, that will be very entertaining.

Corbyn says this is not about entertainment. It is not funny for those affected "
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

The problem with Corbyn at PMQ's is the lack of riposte to Cameron's bluster. He needs to respond as well as ask questions.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

I mean he has to bring up coulson
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Distraction, distraction, this is what I really came to post:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... manchester" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Celebrating the hidden history of disabled people fight for human rights.

(Far from over yet.) if you are in Manchester or thereabouts there's an exhibition worth seeng.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Temulkar wrote:The problem with Corbyn at PMQ's is the lack of riposte to Cameron's bluster. He needs to respond as well as ask questions.
Over time he could be giving Cameron the room to hang himself, and reveal the hardness of Tory thinking? Riposte could actually dilute this.

People are watching PMQs more because of Corbyn, and because they can hear what he is saying,and it resonates with them.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Stalinists, Communists and crazy socialists. Hyperbolic?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Temulkar wrote:I mean he has to bring up coulson
Part of me agrees - though maybe he thinks he can hold the "but at least nobody in my team has ever hacked people's phones" riposte for when he genuinely feels under the cosh, as I don't think he did today. But maybe he decided the Tories have enough rope to hang themselves with here - the sight of all those Tory MPs with their "patriotic" poppies jeering Jez patiently explaining how ex-servicemen will be worse off, will jar with many methinks.

Even some pro-Tory commentators think today did not go well for them........
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
Apologies for my sporadic reading and thanking on yesterday's thread here.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
David Mundell is fairly clear on the subject:
Scottish ministers will be able to “top up” all areas of the new universal credit (UC) even where these remain under the policy control of Westminster, the UK government said.
The Smith Commission agreement on more powers for Holyrood had originally indicated that only the housing cost elements of UC could be “varied” by MSPs at Holyrood.
But Mr Mundell said yesterday: “All elements will be able to be topped up. So if the Scottish Government wanted to treble jobseekers’ allowance, they could.” The UK government has already indicated that other elements of universal credit – child tax credit and working tax credit – would also be devolved.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... z3qVmM9XGm

Mundell certainly is clear, Eric - thank you - so it begs the question why the SNP are saying otherwise......'cos they are.