Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th November 2015

Post by TobyLatimer »

Woke to the BBC praising our wonderful fatuous hamfaced bullingdon pillock's latest announcement on his latest pet project

"Access to the internet shouldn’t be a luxury; it should be a right – absolutely fundamental to life in 21st-century Britain"

My initial thoughts were, well it might be very noble but neither should access to food, decent healthcare or battling to get social security without jumping through metaphorical hoops be a luxury. He does get on my wick.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... home-in-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by refitman on Sat 07 Nov, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: add Sunday
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Re: Saturday 7th November 2015

Post by TobyLatimer »

Further to the filibustering yesterday

[youtube]G0j8bgfrCzo[/youtube]
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Welcome to TR'sGhost, interesting posts last night.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:Morning.

Welcome to TR'sGhost, interesting posts last night.
Seconded, hello TRG!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th November 2015

Post by LadyCentauria »

G'day all and welcome @TRG - pop into the kitchen, at any time, and help yourself to coffee and tea, plus porridge from the pan on the back of the Aga, cooked all-day breakfast from the warming-oven (veggie on the top shelf, carnie on the lower) and croissants on the warming-plate. The Bar is open 24-hrs – drinks are free to members :D

Don't forget tonight's Bonfire and Fireworks display (with possible Aurora Borealis) is scheduled for 9pm up on the top field, so if you're coming on horseback please arrive early and use the stables or turn out into the indoor-school - stallions must be stabled. If you're bringing an effigy or guy to go on the bonfire - no plastics - could you make sure it's here before 8.30pm. Ta!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Whew. Wet and very windy here.

A day in the kitchen baking goodies methinks....
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Morning all, and welcome to TR'sGhost.

All the kerfuffle over the tax credits cuts has obscured (for some) the mooted cut/removal of the WRAG component of ESA.
A loss of £1,560 PA to those affected.

Those who qualify for NI Conts-based WRAG are time-limited to 12 months as it is; I am now wondering if Osborne will sneak in a 6-month limit.
I ponder this because his rationale for removing the "perverse incentive" is to encourage ill people to go to work - he said the cut would bring them into the same sort of "support" as JSA claimants.
The abolition of the 6-month rule on re-claims for ESA mean that anyone whose entitlement runs out and/or fails a WCA can only claim ESA again within 6 months if they submit to another WCA (with no benefit paid while that's pending) or if they can satisfy DWP that they have a siginficant worsening of their condition and/or a new condition - both of which will.....need to be assessed by another WCA!

I am now thinking that Osborne may well backtrack/mitigate the tax credit cuts - but unless there is some vociferous opposition, the abolition of the WRAG component will go ahead; and it would not surprise me if he tucks more little nasties in there.
I also think we can expect many more people to be allocated to the WRAG for this reason; Osborne can save quite a lot of money here if he does this right (well, it's not right, but you know what I mean) and IDS will get more people disallowed because they're incapable of work and/or fulfilling the conditions for JSA or Universal Credit.

The loss in income for our sick will be as bad as the loss for others via tax credit cuts. I'd like to hear a bit more noise from Labour on this. Please.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Galloway: I'm In Touch With Corbyn's Team All The Time

http://www.lbc.co.uk/galloway-im-in-tou ... ime-119332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00939.jpg
ScreenShot00939.jpg (59.33 KiB) Viewed 9473 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I would take anything he claims with scepticism, tbh.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

ephemerid wrote:Morning all, and welcome to TR'sGhost.

All the kerfuffle over the tax credits cuts has obscured (for some) the mooted cut/removal of the WRAG component of ESA.

Those who qualify for NI Conts-based WRAG are time-limited to 12 months as it is; I am now wondering if Osborne will sneak in a 6-month limit.
I ponder this because his rationale for removing the "perverse incentive" is to encourage ill people to go to work - he said the cut would bring them into the same sort of "support" as JSA claimants.
The abolition of the 6-month rule on re-claims for ESA mean that anyone whose entitlement runs out and/or fails a WCA can only claim ESA again within 6 months if they submit to another WCA (with no benefit paid while that's pending) or if they can satisfy DWP that they have a siginficant worsening of their condition and/or a new condition - both of which will.....need to be assessed by another WCA!

I am now thinking that Osborne may well backtrack/mitigate the tax credit cuts - but unless there is some vociferous opposition, the abolition of the WRAG component will go ahead; and it would not surprise me if he tucks more little nasties in there.
I also think we can expect many more people to be allocated to the WRAG for this reason; Osborne can save quite a lot of money here if he does this right (well, it's not right, but you know what I mean) and IDS will get more people disallowed because they're incapable of work and/or fulfilling the conditions for JSA or Universal Credit.

The loss in income for our sick will be as bad as the loss for others via tax credit cuts. I'd like to hear a bit more noise from Labour on this. Please.

Osborne and IDS will succeed for one main reason - a sad one that we try to ignore but is always the elephant in the room

There is a goodly proportion of the British people that do not care about others in any constructive sort of way

If they are homeowners they do not care that others cannot afford them or even countenance that their house price will not rise. If they are working they do not care that others don't and immediately think they are lazy. If they are able-bodied thy do not care that others aren't and begrudge their taxes going for them. They do belief that foreigners are the root of all problems (especially those with funny names) and that our soldiers are all heroes when they attack and kill foreigners

The values have changed and the consequence will be that this will be exploited by the rich.

Osborne must be amazed and can't believe his luck that we have become such a supine and contemptuous bunch of people. As long as he keeps house prices high and only attacks the vulnerable and weak then he will be fine
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Sat 07 Nov, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Iain Duncan Smith 'threatens to quit' if George Osborne raids universal credit.

Who would replace Smiffy ? I bet Priti is watching with glee

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 25166.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00940.jpg
ScreenShot00940.jpg (64.64 KiB) Viewed 9460 times
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Something doesn't ring true with me about this spat with Ozzy & IDS. Misinformation, manufactured to make Gideon look hard maybe, or an attempt to build up IDS as a nice guy after all (or to give give him a way out without Cam sacking him)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

Osborne and IDS will succeed for one main reason - a sad one that we try to ignore but is always the elephant in the room

There is a goodly proportion of the British people that do not care about others in any constructive sort of way

If they are homeowners they do not care that others cannot afford them or even countenance that their house price will not rise. If they are working they do not care that others don't and immediately think they are lazy. If they are able-bodied thy do not care that others aren't and begrudge their taxes going for them. They do belief that foreigners are the root of all problems (especially those with funny names) and that our soldiers are all heroes when they attack and kill foreigners

The values have changed and the consequence will be that this will be exploited by the rich.

Osborne must be amazed and can't believe his luck that we have become such a supine and contemptuous bunch of people. As long as he keeps house prices high and only attacks the vulnerable and weak then he will be fine
Yes! Yes! Yes!

I've been banging on about this for quite a while. Canadian citizens got sick of their venous, lying, thieving, right wing and voted them out.

We didn't....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TobyLatimer wrote:Iain Duncan Smith 'threatens to quit' if George Osborne raids universal credit.

Who would replace Smiffy ? I bet Priti is watching with glee

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 25166.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00940.jpg
Look a squirrel....

Watching the right hand whilst the left hand screws us - again.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I've been banging on about this for quite a while. Canadian citizens got sick of their venous, lying, thieving, right wing and voted them out.

We didn't....
The British care in a passive way - give a bit of money to Comic Relief and job done...buy a Big Issue occasionally and job done.

It is the success of Thatcher...and followed on by certain members in Labour, ably supported by the Establishment that it has come to this

There is no acceptance of any organised dissent....despite everybody knowing the police have lied in the past about behaviour of demonstrators. What we like to do is whinge and moan, and if the story is playing to a media narrative then it will be supported (that Bailey woman for example)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

To be fair,Labour have clearly repeatedly publicly stated their opposition to the ESA (WRAG) change and a "new" position on the conversion of benefit to an interest bearing loan with charges for homeowners;now fully against. Neutral question-what more can they do?It is a fight on many fronts with no simple discrete groups of people effected by the array of policies.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I really don't know what you're all moaning about. After all -
Cameron vows to make fast broadband available to every home in UK (Guardian)
again.

Good morfternoon.

(And hello to TR'sGhost.)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

So ... A slice of egg and bacon quiche? Or a lemon curd tart? .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:I really don't know what you're all moaning about. After all -
Cameron vows to make fast broadband available to every home in UK (Guardian)
again.

Good morfternoon.

(And hello to TR'sGhost.)
What he originally "pledged" for this year is now "pledged" for 2020. JAM TOMORROW!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Stiff Records -->Wreckless Eric --> "what was that track ..." -->
= semaphore signals

(nostalgia emoticon)
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

At the risk of triggering the politics of envy. I had some jam this morning. Apricot. On toast.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

From last year;

Mr Cameron said ; "The internet will allow everyday objects like fridges to talk to each other"

I don't really want my fridge going round talking to other fridges thanks. The tart.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -jibe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00943.jpg
ScreenShot00943.jpg (60.52 KiB) Viewed 9386 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:At the risk of triggering the politics of envy. I had some jam this morning. Apricot. On toast.
Actually, you don't see that much of apricots these days do you? Seem to have been largely replaced by peaches and nectarines in our shopping baskets......

What other food items from your younger days have gone out of fashion??
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Sat 07 Nov, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Stiff Records -->Wreckless Eric --> "what was that track ..." -->
= semaphore signals

(nostalgia emoticon)

Yup, it was the flip side of "(I'd Go The) Whole Wide World" (for those that remember flip sides)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I hate to think what my fridge would say if it got the chance.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:At the risk of triggering the politics of envy. I had some jam this morning. Apricot. On toast.
Actually, you don't see that much of apricots these days do you? Seem to have been largely replaced by peaches and nectarines in our shopping baskets......

Blue Nun.
If that counts as a food.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Telfer's steak and kidney puddings (not as good as home made but very edible).

Macrae's (sp?) kipper fillets.

Bliss bars.

Polar bear ice cream\lollies.

And, more generally (still gettable but harder to source), bacon with rind on and meat with bones left in (eg loin of pork like a row of pork chops).

Damsons.

I'm sure there's more . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Chicken with giblets (vital for gravy, I feel) . . . .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Damson trees are still quite common in these parts. The fruits make good jam.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Me grandma was a big fan of giblet gravy. My first impression of her no-nonsense interaction with a chicken lives long in my memory.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Trio bars.

Greetings to TR'sGhost.

On the politics front, I just got told on CIF that Labour didn't want SDP types like me and I should go join the Tories/Liberals instead. Genuine Corbyn supporter or troll? Hmm....let me think.... :D

Edited to add, having looked at the poster's history, possibly genuine supporter. Cripes!
Last edited by Willow904 on Sat 07 Nov, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:So ... A slice of egg and bacon quiche? Or a lemon curd tart? .
Lemon curd tart, please! I've got clotted cream to go with it :D
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Willow904 wrote:Trio bars.

Greetings to TR'sGhost.

On the politics front, I just got told on CIF that Labour didn't want SDP types like me and I should go join the Tories/Liberals instead. Genuine Corbyn supporter or troll? Hmm....let me think.... :D
Oh god.
I'm afraid this is why I'm easily focused on the likes of Trio Bars and Blue Nun.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Cameron fridge.jpg
Cameron fridge.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 9310 times
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:

Greetings to TR'sGhost.

Oh god.
I'm afraid this is why I'm easily focused on the likes of Trio Bars and Blue Nun.
The response seemed such an over the top reaction to my, I thought, reasonable suggestion that Labour needs to be a broad church to win elections, that it just made me laugh, really. If social democrats are now the enemy of real Labour, as well as red Tories, moderates and anyone who's been to Oxbridge, there's not going to be much left soon.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

We had so little choice after the war, I can't think of a thing.

Except:
Sweet cigarettes. Coconut tobacco... :(

On the other hand there are a lot of things we still get but are nothing like the originals....

Any chocolate or sweets made by Rowntrees, Mackintoshes, Cadbury's, Nestles bear no resemblance to how they once tasted.

For a few weeks in the summer we'd get cucumbers that had been grown outside in England...Delicious.

At Christmas there would be a Jaffa orange each for me and my sister, which we'd share with mum and dad. Grown in Israel, they were huge, sweet, juicy, and had baby oranges inside them...The original twoofers.

All our food was fresh, mostly from nearby farms, potatoes still had wet earth on them, and there'd be a fair scattering of catapillars on the greens, which made it pretty much organic too.

Even chicken was seasonal.

No fridges, freezers, plastic wrapping, vacuum packed or zapped with radiation in those days.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Link to Stat-Xplore,for those interested.Benefit Cap,PIP,sanctions,UC.You can view some as a guest but registering gives you more options

https://stat-xplore.dwp.gov.uk/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Alerted to it via diversion of press release on BCap today.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Greetings to TR'sGhost.

Edited to add, having looked at the poster's history, possibly genuine supporter. Cripes!
There *are* a few genuine Corbynistas like that, I'm afraid.

I am (just) old enough to recall being told to "p*** off to the SDP" back in the 1980s.

Found out a few years ago that the person who said that is now miles to the right of my good self politically :D
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:

Greetings to TR'sGhost.

Oh god.
The response seemed such an over the top reaction to my, I thought, reasonable suggestion that Labour needs to be a broad church to win elections, that it just made me laugh, really. If social democrats are now the enemy of real Labour, as well as red Tories, moderates and anyone who's been to Oxbridge, there's not going to be much left soon.
Well most people don't go to Oxbridge contrary to how it may look if you see who is on tv and in positions of power....certain of the right of Labour no longer have any place in the party...but that is not because they should not be there because of their politics it is just their behaviour would preclude it.

Of course Labour should be a broad church and I see no indication from Corbyn that he wants to 'purge' the right - in the same way that the left was most efficiently purged under Blair

Labour has to be a broad church and people such as Cooper and many others have their place within it - and can really still add immense value
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Vesta Chow Mein. Not saying it was good but it was in common use. I liked the crispy noodles, mind. At this time of year I miss buying bags of hot chestnuts.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Me grandma was a big fan of giblet gravy. My first impression of her no-nonsense interaction with a chicken lives long in my memory.
My mother was very squeamish. There wasn't a person in the country more glad to see bald, pink, chickens sans head, legs and insides appear in the shops.

Many a Christmas Sis and I watched gran get busy with our wood chopper on the head and legs, and pulling the insides of our once a year Christmas chicken. Said chicken had been hung from its feet in the colehole for days dripping the last of its blood onto a bit of newspaper. The longer it hung the whiter the meat. And no central heating so no risk of the meat turning although mum spent a lot of time sniffing it to make sure.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

LadyCentauria wrote:Vesta Chow Mein. Not saying it was good but it was in common use. I liked the crispy noodles, mind. At this time of year I miss buying bags of hot chestnuts.
Oh Lord. I'd forgotten that....I liked it. And their Beef Risotto. It's about as near as I ever got to foriegn food. :lol:

I think you can still get the Chow Mein from some Tesco stores, and from Amazon although it's very expensive if you buy it through them.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh - and why do they take the fat off beef and replace it with . . . . . a piece of fat?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

An Open Letter to the Disappointed Blairites (Mark 2)

https://turningthetideblog.wordpress.co ... es-mark-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW

125,877 on UC,38,109 "in employment"

An individual on Universal Credit at the count date will be recorded as in employment if they have employment earnings within the Universal Credit assessment period which spans the count date. They may not be in employment precisely on the count date.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Oh - and why do they take the fat off beef and replace it with . . . . . a piece of fat?
I always chuck it...You never know where it's been....Or come from.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Oh - and why do they take the fat off beef and replace it with . . . . . a piece of fat?
I always chuck it...You never know where it's been....Or come from.
I don't buy meat presented like that. The fat's probably been swept up off the floor (to put the best gloss on the possibilities).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

You are making me hungry.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 07 Nov, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:Vesta Chow Mein. Not saying it was good but it was in common use. I liked the crispy noodles, mind. At this time of year I miss buying bags of hot chestnuts.
Oh Lord. I'd forgotten that....I liked it. And their Beef Risotto. It's about as near as I ever got to foriegn food. :lol:

I think you can still get the Chow Mein from some Tesco stores, and from Amazon although it's very expensive if you buy it through them.
Plus their Beef Curry, with raisins - something true afficionados always regarded with horror :)

I think all their stuff is still fairly easily available, for those who want a nostalgia trip.