Monday 9th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 9th November 2015

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Good to know it's not just me.
They are darn pesky in the kitchen, tend to pop their clogs on everything.
Have told my husband it's black pepper !
I wondered if they were fruit flies?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Alex Langford ‏@PsychiatrySHO Nov 8
No female mental health beds available in the entire country.

Tell me again how this government cares about mental health.
Working on the wild side.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Owen Jones:
''Give Cameron credit. He bows deep. To a regime that beheads gays and exports extremism that threatens our citizens.''
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Had a quick look - Googled "tiny flies" and had gadzillions of results.....

Most probably fruit flies - how to get rid of 'em here...www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/fruit ... id-9517413
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Image

Owen Jones:
''Give Cameron credit. He bows deep. To a regime that beheads gays and exports extremism that threatens our citizens.''
Perhaps we could enter him in the agility contest at Crufts - he's that good at running blind through tunnels, jumping or bowing through hoops, and weaving in and out of questions and answers. He must get himself the well fitting bra that Ohso has recommended for him on so many occasions though - it would be offensive to watch without.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

If anyone's interested, Edward Lucas (author of Cyberphobia) has just started a live 45/50min interview on https://www.twit.tv/live for the Triangulation podcast.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Off topic -

But is anyone suffering with tiny black flies coming in from outside after dark ?
Must be because of the warm-ish weather for the time of year, but we are getting hosts of what seem like fruit flies coming in if I open the window when cooking when it is dark.
Never had them before.
Yes. The geographic location of our dwelling is elevated and we're not on the ground floor, either. I'm uncertain what I'm seeing are flies. They're small, black, not mosquitoes, not moths. They don't buzz.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:Had a quick look - Googled "tiny flies" and had gadzillions of results.....

Most probably fruit flies - how to get rid of 'em here...www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/fruit ... id-9517413
Many thanks, Ephemerid.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Police forces consider company part-owned by Theresa May’s husband to handle 999 calls

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2015/11/0 ... 999-calls/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

citizenJA wrote:
yahyah wrote:Off topic -

But is anyone suffering with tiny black flies coming in from outside after dark ?
Must be because of the warm-ish weather for the time of year, but we are getting hosts of what seem like fruit flies coming in if I open the window when cooking when it is dark.
Never had them before.
Yes. The geographic location of our dwelling is elevated and we're not on the ground floor, either. I'm uncertain what I'm seeing are flies. They're small, black, not mosquitoes, not moths. They don't buzz.
Fruit flies J - posted above a link explanng how you get 'em and how to gt rid. :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Leaked letter: UK climate minister Amber Rudd admits UK won’t meet 2020 renewables target

http://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2015/1 ... es-target/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ch*****as is coming. Wonga is advertising...Yo, ho, ho.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:Police forces consider company part-owned by Theresa May’s husband to handle 999 calls

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2015/11/0 ... 999-calls/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bloody sodding G4S again. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

And they did soooooo well at the Olympics we had to get the ruddy army in.

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Fruit flies love ripe bananas....
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

The (invariably) splendid Jonathan Portes is debunking OGRPPFG's myths about migrants and benefits (in suitably diplomatic language) here -

http://www.niesr.ac.uk/blog/migrants-be ... nd-answers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

9 November 2015 - Met Office data for 2015 so far shows that, for the first time, global mean temperature at the Earth's surface is set to reach 1 °C above pre-industrial levels. Based on data from January to September, the HadCRUT dataset jointly run by the Met Office and the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia shows 2015 global mean temperature at 1.02 °C (±0.11 °C) above pre-industrial levels*.

Stephen Belcher, Director of the Met Office Hadley Centre, said: "We have seen a strong El Nino develop in the Tropical Pacific this year and that will have had some impact on this year's global temperature. We've had similar natural events in the past, yet this is the first time we're set to reach the 1 °C marker and it's clear that it is human influence driving our modern climate into uncharted territory."

Early indications suggest 2016 will be similarly warm and while it's more difficult to say exactly what will happen.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releas ... one-degree
More fruit flies.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Leaked letter: UK climate minister Amber Rudd admits UK won’t meet 2020 renewables target

http://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2015/1 ... es-target/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DECC Annual Report and Accounts 2014-15 inquiry
Inquiry status: open

Scope of the inquiry
The hearing will examine a range of issues, including:

- The current and future spending of the Department
- Investment decisions, including on Hinkley Point C
- The future role of the National Infrastructure Commission
- Updates on policies, including smart meters, Capacity Market, and Contracts for Difference
- Update on Paris climate negotiations

Next meeting(s)
10 November 2015 | 11:30 AM
DECC Annual Report and Accounts 2014-15

Witness(es)
: Rt Hon Amber Rudd MP, Secretary of State, Department of Energy and Climate Change Stephen Lovegrove, Permanent Secretary and Accounting Officer, Department for Energy and Climate Change Angie Ridgwell, Director General, Finance and Corporate Services

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... nts-15-16/
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Oh good on ya, Glenda Jackson. She's just told a Radio 4 interviewer that she wrote to Jeremy Corbyn to tell him that her only regret in not being an MP anymore was that she couldn't nominate him for the leadership contest.

Take that Dan.

And she says the changes he is bringing to the Labour movement and re-invigoration of young people's interest in politics are very welcome and necessary.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Here you are Mr Corbyn, this is James Wharton, Tory MP & Minister for the Northern Powerhouse showing you how you should behave at a Remembrance Service:
Wharton.jpg
Wharton.jpg (120.9 KiB) Viewed 8885 times
Still, at least he bowed his head.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I've just noticed something rather interesting (well, maybe) in an old Policy Exchange document called "Blocking the best" from 2010, and it rang a bell so will write it up and stick it in the usual place.

Betcha can't wait!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...September 2015, in quarter 3 (July to September) 2015, the UK’s deficit on trade in goods and services was estimated to have been £8.5 billion; widening by £5.1 billion when compared with quarter 2 (April to June) 2015.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/uktrade/u ... ember-2015
I don't think Tories got it going on economically.
Any thoughts?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Oh good on ya, Glenda Jackson. She's just told a Radio 4 interviewer that she wrote to Jeremy Corbyn to tell him that her only regret in not being an MP anymore was that she couldn't nominate him for the leadership contest.

Take that Dan.

And she says the changes he is bringing to the Labour movement and re-invigoration of young people's interest in politics are very welcome and necessary.
Sounds like Dan's a cuckoo in the nest.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Owen Jones:
Perhaps we could enter him in the agility contest at Crufts - he's that good at running blind through tunnels, jumping or bowing through hoops, and weaving in and out of questions and answers. He must get himself the well fitting bra that Ohso has recommended for him on so many occasions though - it would be offensive to watch without.
I tweeted that in my book that's a grovel.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Owen Jones:
There is indeed a touch of the Uriah Heep's about it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Perhaps we could enter him in the agility contest at Crufts - he's that good at running blind through tunnels, jumping or bowing through hoops, and weaving in and out of questions and answers. He must get himself the well fitting bra that Ohso has recommended for him on so many occasions though - it would be offensive to watch without.
There is indeed a touch of the Uriah Heep's about it.
I was wondering where the final shot of Dave licking the Arab's feet disappeared to.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Two-fifths of Britain's care homes below standard as budget cuts finally tell
‘This is probably the start of a really serious issue for the industry,’ says Care England chief, amid rises to staff costs and fall in fees from local authorities

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... nally-tell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As sure as night follows day given the cuts that have already happened ... and we have yet more to come as councils are squeezed even more.

Listened today to very candid admission on Radio 4 that private payers of care are now seriously subsidising those reliant on the state. This is not a good place to be.

Also heard a terribly sad tale of a bloke who is basically in or on his bed for most of the day because he doesn't get enough hours of home care to allow him to live a basic daily life. He hasn't been out socially for years. And he's already spent all his savings on care before qualifying for any council support.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 1m1 minute ago
Cabinet minister tells FT: “In the next 4 years people will be screaming, ‘why haven’t you put more money in NHS?’” https://next.ft.com/content/27db1e66-82 ... 50859a4767" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Because, sadly, they think they can get away with the cuts they say that people voted for ... and many people did ... whether they really understood what they were going to get is another matter.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Two-fifths of Britain's care homes below standard as budget cuts finally tell
‘This is probably the start of a really serious issue for the industry,’ says Care England chief, amid rises to staff costs and fall in fees from local authorities

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... nally-tell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As sure as night follows day given the cuts that have already happened ... and we have yet more to come as councils are squeezed even more.

Listened today to very candid admission on Radio 4 that private payers of care are now seriously subsidising those reliant on the state. This is not a good place to be.

Also heard a terribly sad tale of a bloke who is basically in or on his bed for most of the day because he doesn't get enough hours of home care to allow him to live a basic daily life. He hasn't been out socially for years. And he's already spent all his savings on care before qualifying for any council support.
The council are closing another dementia care home in Bracknell...Offered it out to the private sector but no takers. So, all the residents will be transferred to another private care home which will cater for around 250...Just imagine how much one to one care and calm serene surroundings those poor bewildered people are going to get....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Al Murray the 318 ‏@almurray 9h9 hours ago
MAN! David Cameron totally owned those hecklers, slammed them, man they were TOAST. He got chops.

‏@tmburton
@almurray I know. That "just sit down you chaps" line is a killer
:lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 3m3 minutes ago
Lord Lawson on #NewsAtTen on Cameron's EU demands:'They are disappointingly unambitious.In fact they don't seem to add up to a row of beans'

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 2m2 minutes ago
LordLawson says Cameron 'doesn't think he can get anything significant and therefore he is trying to catch the fish he can catch' #NewsAtTen

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 1m1 minute ago
As for the fish Cameron is trying to catch with his EU demands, Lord Lawson adds: 'they are tiddlers - rather than any significant fish'
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Catching the fish you can catch is bad?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Once undeemed part of hardworkingfamiles.uk.bollox its toughshit.uk.barstewards.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

ohsocynical wrote:Fruit flies love ripe bananas....
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

While I generally regard Corbyn as a disaster I am utterly mystified by the hysteria in the press. Here is the Indy take on it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/say ... 27106.html

Why the right wing needs to makes stuff up is beyond me, unless it is part of a deeper strategy, but I am not seeing any sign of it.

Corbyn's behaviour was exactly what you would expect from a leading politician, surely printing all this guff just discredits the papers concerned.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:While I generally regard Corbyn as a disaster I am utterly mystified by the hysteria in the press. Here is the Indy take on it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/say ... 27106.html

Why the right wing needs to makes stuff up is beyond me, unless it is part of a deeper strategy, but I am not seeing any sign of it.

Corbyn's behaviour was exactly what you would expect from a leading politician, surely printing all this guff just discredits the papers concerned.
It's because of Corbyn's foreign policy baggage- not distant past either, Seumas Milne's appointment for instance. It therefore has a point, in the way that it wouldn't have done with Miliband.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Defending the need to bring the budget into surplus, Osborne will say that the government is still spending too much. “There is no economic security, there is no national security, there is no opportunity, when you lose control of the public finances,” Osborne will say.

“It is only when you control spending, and live within your means, that you can build a country with security and opportunity at its heart. And that’s what the spending review I will present will be all about.” Osborne says under the government’s plans, the budget will be in surplus by 2019-20. “For the first time in a generation, Britain will be saving instead of borrowing; paying down our national debt share, rather than adding to it.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... uts-target
Jesus, the guy's been UK Chancellor for five and half years!
Money comes from one source.
People without a lot of money aren't able to conjure up more by altering their behaviour, Chancellor, this is insane!
Osborne's added more debt within the last five years and he's either unwell, psychologically, or lying when he's on about 'Britain saving instead of borrowing, paying down our national debt share' what the hell? I don't understand how he can be allowed to occupy his position, he's telling stories, the man isn't correct. It's mad.

McDonnell's response from the Guardian article below.
Labour’s shadow chancellor, John McDonnell...
“The big question that the people are asking the chancellor today is over the security of their incomes, and that if he’ll go ahead with tax credit cuts of £1,300 a year on average. The real test for the Tories’ spending review is whether it makes working people better off and ensuring a more balanced, prosperous economy which works for everybody. The chancellor’s record to date is a disappointing one of cutting investment to the lowest of any developed economy, and the slowest economic recovery on record.”
Odd quote attributed to McDonnell in the same article about IDS.
Osborne is trying to 'isolate' IDS.
Protect him, make excuses for him, let him save face by letting billions spent on UC to never get returned to the taxpayers.
That I believe, Osborne would do that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

“For the first time in a generation, Britain will be saving instead of borrowing; paying down our national debt share, rather than adding to it.”
You don't need to have a surplus to reduce national debt share.

The "generation" is doubtless supposed to skip Gordo- who ran 3 surpluses, compared with Mrs Thatcher's 2, John Major's 0, Edward Heath's 1, Harold MacMillan's 0, Anthony Eden's 1 and Winston Churchill's 1. (And Harold Wilson's 1).
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Well this is a post that is in the moment, but I'm watching Storyville on BBC4, and the next click up on my TV is a Ch4+1 thing about SAS trainees banging on about the SAS ethos. No contest as to who the stronger people are.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:I've just noticed something rather interesting (well, maybe) in an old Policy Exchange document called "Blocking the best" from 2010, and it rang a bell so will write it up and stick it in the usual place.

Betcha can't wait!
And here it is...called "So what happened next?"

http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes 4m4 minutes ago Lewisham, London
Exc: Cameron to say 43% of EU new arrivals claim benefits in first 4 years here - and he will stop them
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see we have a 2nd day of public sector fat-cat scandals designed to get the usual suspects into a frothing rage.

Presumably we'll have a week of this. Only surprise is that it's not timed nearer to the date of the Autumn Statement - maybe they thought that might look too obvious.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Actually, with five minutes of watching I rather think that this may not be entirely about actual SAS bollocks. Which would make this....Oh FFS. Boys playing are boys playing. Let them get on with it, just why the SAS thing? Is this official collaboration?

Or am I either missing something or being overly paranoid?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes 4m4 minutes ago Lewisham, London
Exc: Cameron to say 43% of EU new arrivals claim benefits in first 4 years here - and he will stop them
Any figure for the amount paid in taxes and contribution to GDP?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Never mind, I'm sure the amount he'll save us is a huge amount of money, and he wouldn't be better of pressing for the single market in services to be expanded. Services being where we're strongest.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:Police forces consider company part-owned by Theresa May’s husband to handle 999 calls

Well I never. Fancy that. And other suchlike expressions. And under a Conservative Government, too! <shock> <horror> ;)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Wondering how much of those 43% claim tax credits.

I thought Osborne was sorting that out with his minimum wage?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:Leaked letter: UK climate minister Amber Rudd admits UK won’t meet 2020 renewables target

But but but we were so far ahead of being on track that phasing out subsidies for solar a year early was a perfectly good idea and dissuading the erection of future onshore wind turbines was only wise!!!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

From the other place.
Business, Innovation and Skills
There are potentially rich pickings for the chancellor at BIS, which has a resource budget of around £13bn. There had been talk of abolishing BIS altogether, but business secretary, Sajid Javid, has said that would be a backwards step. However, he has identified areas for savings in consolidating the BIS estate, which has 80 sites. Higher education, further education, research funding and grants for business could all be in the firing line.
Consolidate here means "sell", doesn't it?

That'll reduce debts by reducing assets as well.

Fiscal Council needed to call out this rubbish.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

News story
Universal Credit now available in nearly 70% of all jobcentres

Department for Work and Pensions
9 November 2015

Universal Credit reaches 492 jobcentres as 22 more start taking new claims from today (Monday 9 November 2015).
This morning, all new single claimants applying for unemployment benefits at these jobcentres will apply for Universal Credit.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/univ ... jobcentres
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Absurd claims for academization pt 821

Suffolk primary schools club together in academy trust bid

http://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/news/loc ... z3r2VXaGVD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“We have been working together for a long time and this seemed like a natural progression for us. We have a nice working relationship across the four schools.”

As well as its financial benefits, Ms Burke said the collaboration would enable teachers to discuss and analyse the new curriculum together, for the schools to undertake educational projects together, and for Year Six pupils to engage in bigger groups before moving up to secondary school.
:wall:

There's nothing to stop you doing that now!!

Jeez...this is how the lie about the "shackles of local council control" get spread around. The LA aren't going to say "No, you can't do that".

ARGHHHH!!