Tuesday 10th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 10th November 2015

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Heh.

Someone else noticed that "policy paper" on the DfE too...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Including this gem.

Well quite - next time you hear Morgan, Gibb or their NSN stooge lauding free schools for more likely to be rated Outstanding than other schools, just remember that they change the goalposts every now and again when it suits.

Those pesky badgers probably...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ts-reforms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fresh blow for George Osborne over planned tax credit cuts reforms
Tory-controlled work and pensions select committee rebuke Treasury and call for full rethink of chancellor’s plans

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... hed-15-16/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 11 Nov, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:These two, Smith snd Osbourne, are playing some betting game with peoples livelihoods, it is very unprincipled to do this, mind you when did that ever stop them. (glum)
I'm hoping you mean Ian Duncan Smith - and not Owen Smith who I think is doing exactly as he should in pointing out how hard the poorest will be hit by both tax credit cuts and / or UC cuts.
yes, of course.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Thinking about it, I wonder if I ought to do a piece on the revolving door between PX/NSN/DfE/No 10 etc.
Yes. Please. It would be likely to prove instructional.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

citizenJA wrote:
Amber Rudd has admitted the UK does not have the right policies in place to meet its EU target of sourcing 15% of energy from renewable sources by 2020, and challenged transport secretary Patrick McLoughlin to help make up the shortfall.

...making up the shortfall by increasing the amount of renewable electricity from sources such as windfarms, which the Tory party has hit with subsidy cuts, was not an option, she said. “I think it would be a mistake to abandon heat and transport, they need to make their contribution on the renewable targets.”

Buying renewable energy from other European countries was on the table as an option, she said, but would not be desirable. “The desirable option is to deliver it ourselves,” she said, while declining to name which countries the UK would consider buying green energy from. She also rejected claims that the government’s subsidy cuts to renewable electricity over the summer had harmed the UK’s ability to meet the EU target.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... les-target
I don't understand this person or the Tory government she's part of. If renewable energy projects are stopped and fossil fuel projects encouraged, meeting international obligations aren't possible. Tory government violate their own voluntarily agreed upon obligations.
I don't understand it, either, @cJA. And as for the bit I've 'bolded' in the quote: why should it be either/or? It's going to take subsidies of one kind or another to boost our renewables production (which, after all, form a part of the EU and world Climate Change Agreements targets) and it'll take further subsidies to properly tackle 'heat' (by which one would assume she means loss of heat from domestic/commercial buildings and/or industry) and for 'greening' the transport fleet.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...