Friday 13th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 13th November 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Beyond awful indeed. Mumbai is the obvious parallel.

Up to 26 dead.
Now they're talking of 40 dead Tubby. And that it does look as though it was co-ordinated. BBC News commentator with knowledge of various factions / groups saying most likely to be Sunni / Isil related.

I think Cameron's earlier bravado re the killing of Mohammed Emwazi which has been repeatedly called a 'PR win' on the media is going to look less and less like that as the horror of this unfolds.
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Up to 26 dead.
Now they're talking of 40 dead Tubby. And that it does look as though it was co-ordinated. BBC News commentator with knowledge of various factions / groups saying most likely to be Sunni / Isil related.

I think Cameron's earlier bravado re the killing of Mohammed Emwazi which has been repeatedly called a 'PR win' on the media is going to look less and less like that as the horror of this unfolds.
You're right, the day Dave crows, pushing a button, killing someone - shut the hell up, Dave and leave, please, you're not good at it. The world needs finer people in leadership, methodical, responsible, determined statespersons sorting out living and peace. It's work. It's lots of hard work, being a good leader. I'm sorry. I've not read or looked at the news yet.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

State of Emergency.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:State of Emergency.
And closed their borders.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Transfer Sources ‏@TransferSources 5m5 minutes ago
BREAKING: Hostages are reportedly texting that they are being killed 1-by-1. Begging for police raid.

James Lyons Retweeted
Mark Kauzlarich ‏@MJKauz 3m3 minutes ago
CNN is reporting that hostages are texting relatives that they are being killed one by one. Horrifying if true.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

yahyah wrote:Morning.
More news that reflects the reality of Tory rule.
More than 46,000 older people seen their "meals on wheels" axed in the last three years, according to an analysis of official data.

''The study by the Malnutrition Task Force found that the number of people receiving the meals in England has fallen from 75,885 in 2010/2011 to 29,605 in 2013/14 - a 61% decrease.

Spending on meals on wheels for people aged 65 and over has fallen 47%, from £42.1 million in 2010/11 to £22.3 million in 2013/14.

The falls have all come amid shrinking social services budgets.''
http://www.itv.com/news/2015-11-13/meal ... n-warning/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Mail headline on the same is hard hitting:
''Meals on wheels axed for 46,000 pensioners as hospital admissions for malnutrition increase by more than a third
Spending on meals on wheels has been slashed by almost 50 per cent
The numbers receiving meals on wheels has fallen by around 80 per cent
Some 1.3 million elderly people are believed to be suffering malnutrition
Age UK estimates there are 300,000 elderly Britons who require help eating''

I don't suppose the Cifers who snarl about pensioners being treated too well, and all voting Tory, will notice that.
Wandsworth suggests people subscribe to those ready-meal delivery services that advertise on the telly with cheery deliverymen and happy pensioners like Wiltshire Farm Foods, etc., - and use a microwave or electric steamer to heat them. And they link to a couple of places that provide hot meals because they no longer run lunch-clubs/day-centres - the two they advertise provide lunches on three days in the week, between them. Of course, you have to get there...

Edit to add: I see that @Ephe already covered this and mentioned the same ready-meal company. Apologies for not refreshing/reading further before posting.
Last edited by LadyCentauria on Sat 14 Nov, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW,some years ago,mind,free meals and/or assistance to make them for those eligible when I first started.£1 laundry stamp for ten items.It wasn't just the help preparation but a way of checking and reporting any concerns.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Witnesses confirm siege at the concert hall.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Areas of north-west England, Yorkshire and north Wales, as well as all of
Northern Ireland, have been warned to be prepare for heavy rain on Saturday
after storm Abigail left thousands without power and closed schools.

The Met Office put in place a series of amber warnings, the second highest,
while the Environment Agency warned that communities in northern England
faced the risk of significant river flooding over the weekend.

It said Cumbria, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, and North and West Yorkshire
were the areas most at risk on Saturday evening and into Sunday.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... rm-abigail
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Up to 26 dead.

You're right, the day Dave crows, pushing a button, killing someone - shut the hell up, Dave and leave, please, you're not good at it. The world needs finer people in leadership, methodical, responsible, determined statespersons sorting out living and peace. It's work. It's lots of hard work, being a good leader. I'm sorry. I've not read or looked at the news yet.
I think this is enough. The west needs to sit down, identify who these people are, who is funding them and where they are.

If this really is ISIS related it is time to sit down with Russia and Iran, put Turkey and other backers of Islamic extremists back in their box and make a proper effort to wipe them out.

Not just lob bombs but deploy a coordinated military response, whatever it takes. This is just going to continue to escalate. If that needs NATO and Russian troops on the ground so be it.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Now they're talking of 40 dead Tubby. And that it does look as though it was co-ordinated. BBC News commentator with knowledge of various factions / groups saying most likely to be Sunni / Isil related.

I think this is enough. The west needs to sit down, identify who these people are, who is funding them and where they are.

If this really is ISIS related it is time to sit down with Russia and Iran, put Turkey and other backers of Islamic extremists back in their box and make a proper effort to wipe them out.

Not just lob bombs but deploy a coordinated military response, whatever it takes. This is just going to continue to escalate. If that needs NATO and Russian troops on the ground so be it.
I've never been able to even dislike someone for any length of time after I've met their children, let alone think of killing them. People without children almost always have nieces or nephews, or cousins. Young people never fail to move me. If I'm having a problem with someone I'm likely to have regular meetings with, whenever possible or appropriate, I meet the young people who love them and I can't. Smart, unselfconscious, tolerant of adults, talented, those young people - I see their parent, aunt, uncle or cousin with new eyes. It's the damnedest thing. I may not like their personality or ideas any better but their connection to those young ones is impossible to forget.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
jenny
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

The vast majority of humans are not like this. It is too raw right now, and ongoing, but I hit the button for TEs post not because I want war, but because I want peace and the people who fuel this to be brought to justice, and that will probably mean things I do not usually support. It is a matter for the UN though, the arbiter of this should not be the west, it should be the world.

Thinking of all those in Paris struggling with the reality of these extreme times. And all those who may feel the aftermath of tonights events.

Keep safe, my friends. xx
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

France 24 reporting a hundred dead at Bataclan (Paris) - this just gets worse :(
Edit: spillunge collection...
Last edited by LadyCentauria on Sat 14 Nov, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

At least 140 dead, per a city hall official.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

citizenJA wrote:
The British foreign secretary, Philip Hammond, has privately assured Ireland’s government that the hundreds of thousands of its nationals living in Britain would not be affected by any new conditions that may be introduced by the UK to restrict EU migrants’ access to the welfare system.

Hammond discussed benefits restrictions with Ireland’s foreign minister Charles Flanagan on two occasions in the past year – in December and in June – providing explicit assurances, according to an Irish government document seen by the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... u-migrants
This isn't how we run democracy. Elected leaders don't grant personal boons or assurances privately to seperate groups they like or don't like.
We have a pre-existing treaty with Ireland, though. Must be nearly a hundred years old, come to think of it. (Apols if already answered. Have spend the day exploring (and plying with) a new tech 'toy,')
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Truly terrible, the people are said to be mostly quite young, and the toll has just risen so high.

It has hit me quite hard as my brother is just completing a tour in europe with a US band, had a some very anxious minutes heart in mouth after I first heard and there were few details. He is safe and not in France, but I didn't know that, he's due here Monday and its usually their last gig.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

seeingclearly wrote:Truly terrible, the people are said to be mostly quite young, and the toll has just risen so high.

It has hit me quite hard as my brother is just completing a tour in europe with a US band, had a some very anxious minutes heart in mouth after I first heard and there were few details. He is safe and not in France, but I didn't know that, he's due here Monday and its usually their last gig.
I have been sitting here just stunned since the news report of the 100 people dead inside the Bataclan.

Maintaining Schengen was already in doubt ... this may precipitate a much wider suspension for a much longer time.

And I am glad your brother is safe. What an awful time so many people must be having concerned for relatives, friends and loved ones.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Belgium puts in place new checks on travel / borders.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:Truly terrible, the people are said to be mostly quite young, and the toll has just risen so high.

I have been sitting here just stunned since the news report of the 100 people dead inside the Bataclan.

Maintaining Schengen was already in doubt ... this may precipitate a much wider suspension for a much longer time.

And I am glad your brother is safe. What an awful time so many people must be having concerned for relatives, friends and loved ones.
It brought it home what they must be feeling tbh, because it became much more than a news item. I'm pretty sure he'll know the venue from the past. I just read a report which described so many young faces and thought of all the anxious parents desperate for news, and how bad it will be for some. Heartbreaking, all of it.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

I'm guessing a lot of the borders will be closed.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

118 killed in the concert hall.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

No words.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Glad you know, now, that your brother was not there. :hug: Still no news about the missing members of EoDM's crew - we can only hope they're somewhere, somehow, safe. Too many families are having their hearts broken, tonight.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Reckoned to be seven attack locations.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I have to go to bed. Whether I will sleep or not I just don't know.

As seeingclearly said - no words really.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Good night.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

yahyah wrote:Huw Irranca-DaviesVerified account ‏@IrrancaDaviesMP
Big big thanks to residents of Ogmore Vale & Wyndham. By-election result: Ukip 32, Labour 365 (48.8%), Ind 203, Plaid Cymru 101, Tory 47

That was a Labour gain, previously won by an Independent.
Very glad to hear there's some good news around! Well done, Ogmore Vale & Wyndham Labour people!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Reports that up to five of the gunmen have been killed - four of them in the Bataclan. Elsewhere, the spire on the top of One, World Trade Centre, has been lit up in blue, white, and red, to show solidarity with the people of France:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Le Parisien reporting 148 dead and 55 in critical condition, plus 77 injured, across 6 venues in Paris - those being: Bataclan, Rue Charon, Rue Bichal, Avenue de la Republique, Stade de France, and Rue Beaumarchais.
[iurl]http://www.leparisien.fr/faits-divers/a ... 273837.php[/url]
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

All round condemnation for John Rentouls disgraceful comment.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

What has he said, @SC?
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Exact recall is poor, there's a screenshot I'll put up later if noone else picks it up, and refitman wiil give me a hand, comment now deleted after a lightbulb went on and he realised how it struck others.

No news yet of the crew? worrying if they were front of house. A lot of people with connections to the music industry and bands really shocked and expressing solidarity with Paris. Glad the toll has come down a little, it means fewer families having to go through this nightmare.