Monday 16th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 16th November 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 16th November 2015

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Nick Robinson's first morning on Today shows he still has a massive Cameron crush.
He was 'delighted' to have Cameron on the show this morning, simpered 'Forgive me' when he gently interrupted his FPG beloved, and Uriah Heepishly said 'I don't want to be negative' when he asked Cameron a not very difficult question.

Wait with interest for his first Corbyn interview.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

''Paris terror attacks: Ahmed Almuhamed's passport may have been planted by terrorists''
“The single most intriguing fact is that the passport was there at all,” one French official source said. “It was not actually on the terrorist’s body, or what remained of it. It was lying nearby, as if meant to be found.”

''French investigators fear that the apparent “planting” of the passport is part of a sophisticated propaganda war being waged by Isis. “There are three possibilities,” one source said. “He is the man whose name is on the passport. He was a false refugee, travelling on a false passport. Or he is someone else and a false passport was deliberately left there to sow confusion.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 35476.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Apologies if this has been referenced already. Questioning whether the deal was for our political chancellor or the country.
http://waitingfortax.com/2015/11/13/so- ... ansaction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning.

From the Waugh memo ....
5) NHS SMALL PRINT

The Times has a fascinating story on the small print of the introduction of the single state pension in April, with health chiefs warning it will create a ‘huge stealth cut’ of £1bn to the NHS. The abolition of the second state pension will remove the 3.4 per cent national insurance rebate that employers offering final salary schemes currently receive.

The NHS is the largest such employer, with 1.4 million staff and a pensionable pay bill of £41.4 billion, meaning the Treasury will claw back an extra £1.1 billion next year, according to NHS Employers. Will the Chancellor do anything in the autumn statement or spending review to respond?...
Remember Hunt saying the Tories would provide the NHS with the funds they needed? Before the election of course. Either they know what the cumulative effect of their various policies is - in which case they are just nasty liars. Or they don't even understand the ramifications of their policies and how they effect other bits of policy, spend and people - and are incompetent, nasty liars.
Working on the wild side.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.newstatesman.com/world-affai ... -terrorism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although IS is certainly an Islamic movement, it is neither typical nor mired in the distant past, because its roots are in Wahhabism, a form of Islam practised in Saudi Arabia that developed only in the 18th century.
I found this history interesting as it helps make the connections between the evolution of the Islam religion with political history and how it shaped the Wahhabism of today that appears to underpin IS' use of terrorism. And I believe it's possible that IS is using terrorism as a tool, rather than really believing in it as a route to religious martyrdom. Many of the suicide bombers are recent converts or Westernised. It's hard not to get the impression they are being recruited in the manner of a cynical religious cult like the moonies. Meanwhile IS' aims appear to be more banal. They want to capture or recapture territory they feel is theirs and the defeated army of Saddam Hussein is undoubtedly involved in a lot of the traditional fighting on the ground in Iraq. If the recent terrorist attacks are to be viewed as traditional terrorism, then their purpose would be to put pressure on governments that have it in their power to give the terrorists what they want. The question, then, is what is it that they want, in targeting Russia and France? Do they want to frighten them out of bombing Syria, or do they want to encourage them to bomb it more? Without understanding the fundamental nature of IS, it's difficult to tell. Is it a religious extremism hellbent on creating some apocalyptic war with the West, hoping increased intervention from the west will create more IS soldiers willing to fight a religious war or are the terrorist attacks the last throw of the dice of a rather more secular movement that is finding itself being beaten back on two fronts hoping that western powers will get cold feet if the war is dumped on their doorstep? If I knew the answer to that, I could form an opinion on the question of "to bomb or not to bomb". As it is, I haven't a clue what the right thing to do would be, but my instinct is that with the US and Russia bombing anyway, there seems little point in the UK joining in at this late stage. What difference could we make? Better to concentrate on providing back up and support to the Iraqi government and Iraqi Kurds where goals are clearer. Cameron's obsession with bombing Assad 2 years ago, makes me doubtful about his motives in bombing Syria and I feel it would be preferable if he is prevented from getting involved after his disastrous intervention in Libya.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Willow904 wrote:Meanwhile IS' aims appear to be more banal. They want to capture or recapture territory they feel is theirs ........
As much as it suits Western Governments to paint this as purely a problem of Islamic fundamentalism (and, in the main, it is) the West does bear some culpability in this affair/ We, especially the British, have a long and murky history of interference in the Middle East (Blair's Iraq adventures being only the most recent) and many of the issues are a direct result of that interference; the "Islamic State" they claim to be fighting for is the one promised to them by the British Government's agent, one T.E. Lawrence, for their help in the Great War, a promise reneged upon in the aftermath of that conflict. It is astonishing, 100 years on, how we still live with the ripples of the First World War, with conflicts from the Balkans eastward having their roots in it.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Labour-controlled Welsh government has launched a bold and pointedly political recruitment campaign to attract junior doctors across the border from England.

Just weeks before planned strike action in England over a hugely controversial new contract, the Welsh health minister, Mark Drakeford, has released a recruitment video claiming his devolved government had a “partnership approach” to negotiations.

Drakeford is emphasising that the NHS was “born in Wales” and argues that the service there is all about getting care to the people who most need it – not to those who can afford to pay or know the right people.

For several years, David Cameron has heavily criticised the way the devolved government in Cardiff has run the health service and it was a key battleground during the election campaign...
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... rs-england" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well Hunt should have seen that one coming. I did.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... ks-6834664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From Afghanistan, to Iraq and Libya, Britain and the US stoked the unrest that allowed ISIS to emerge and thrive.

So we must stop all military involvement. Sending a drone to kill Mohammed ‘Jihadi John’ Emwazi may appeal to our baser instincts of vengeance.

But it will be seen in the Middle East as a state-sponsored execution.

Britain and the US as judge, jury and executioner. Just like ISIS .
Pretty strong stuff from John Prescott. Labour seems determined to stick by Ed Miliband's original assessment of the Syria situation, with Hilary Benn as well as Diane Abbott echoing Jeremy Corbyn's sentiment in the last couple of days - that the UK should only get involved via UN agreement and that our joining in with the bombing Syria will change little. The situation in the Middle East has never been so complicated and yet there has never been so much consensus among traditional enemies that IS has to be stopped. There appears to be a window of opportunity for real dialogue among major players, but only with a huge amount of compromise on all sides.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Typical that the Graun ignored the actual Shadow Foreign Secretary's fairly unambiguous comments on this and instead got excited by Lord Falconer's witterings :roll:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Desperate stuff from the Telegraph. Not Hodges this time.

''Jeremy Corbyn doesn't even have the decency to be angry about the Paris terror attacks
The Labour leader is moving further and further from popular public opinion''
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... tacks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why should anger be placed above other emotions to denote someone's decency ?
Religious leaders like the Dalai Lama and the Pope would likely suggest we concentrate on other emotions, like compassion for those involved, as anger often causes physical and mental problems for the person feeling it.

The right wing really are stooping to the lowest depths on this.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
The Labour-controlled Welsh government has launched a bold and pointedly political recruitment campaign to attract junior doctors across the border from England.

Just weeks before planned strike action in England over a hugely controversial new contract, the Welsh health minister, Mark Drakeford, has released a recruitment video claiming his devolved government had a “partnership approach” to negotiations.

Drakeford is emphasising that the NHS was “born in Wales” and argues that the service there is all about getting care to the people who most need it – not to those who can afford to pay or know the right people.

For several years, David Cameron has heavily criticised the way the devolved government in Cardiff has run the health service and it was a key battleground during the election campaign...
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... rs-england" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well Hunt should have seen that one coming. I did.
Clever. If this approach disarms the Tories' attack lines on the Welsh NHS it will be well done.
I think it will intensify the Tories' attack on the the Welsh NHS tbh. But then they are / were always going to ratchett that attack up to mega volume before the Assembly elections in May next year. We've been expecting that. They will be joined by Plaid, Ukip and the Lib Dems as well.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 45m45 minutes ago
'I won't let the govt stop me being with my wife': one couple takes on the UK's most intrusive immigration policy http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... th-my-wife" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Quite extraordinary what this couple are going through - and the actions of people helping them.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

''Cabinet ministers will be asked today to take the axe to six-figure payoffs and pensions in a move that could save the taxpayer billions of pounds. Sick pay could also be slashed''

If they do, inhuman Tories showing their true colours again.

Will it apply to MPs ?
Wasn't there a Tory who told the media he took months off Parliament when his wife had cancer ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:Desperate stuff from the Telegraph. Not Hodges this time.

''Jeremy Corbyn doesn't even have the decency to be angry about the Paris terror attacks
The Labour leader is moving further and further from popular public opinion''
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... tacks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why should anger be placed above other emotions to denote someone's decency ?
Religious leaders like the Dalai Lama and the Pope would likely suggest we concentrate on other emotions, like compassion for those involved, as anger often causes physical and mental problems for the person feeling it.

The right wing really are stooping to the lowest depths on this.
Its not Hodges this time no (he has actually been relatively restrained over Paris) but the if anything even more dismal and parasitical Tom Harris.

Who says that Corbyn isn't "angry", anyway? How is Harris qualifed to quantify this?? What exactly is "being angry", come to that?

The hard left are often accused of "virtue signalling", sometimes with some basis. But the worst exponents of it right now seem to be the Blairite rump.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I've just heard WATO flag up an item along the lines of Harman criticising Corbyn for misogny / lack of gender balance ... only to then hear the actual speech excerpt and interview in which I don't think she did any such thing. They really are going out of their way to find every opportunity to stoke up the appearance of division.

Valid point made by Conservative woman MP later on that the redrawing of boundaries which will reduce the number of MPs by 50 is going to throw up challenges for all parties re how they ensure the levels of gender balance achieved so far aren't undermined. I'm guessing it'll be a bit bloody when it becomes clear which seats are going to go.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Ahead of the Autumn Statement the Institute for Government has produced a document on background, choices etc.

http://www.instituteforgovernment.org.u ... -with-less" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bit on bringing private sector providers into the equation is amusing...
Delivering services through private providers requires the Government to be confident that contractors are both working in the public interest and making effective use of public money. In this regard, the Government’s recent record is mixed. Following several high-profile failures in recent years – for example, Olympic security and offender tagging – the Public Accounts Committee noted that ‘problems with contracting are widespread, long-standing and rooted in the culture of the Civil Service’. The NAO has also expressed concerns about the Government’s ability to establish a ‘true and fair view of financial activity’ in academy schools and issued an adverse opinion on the DfE’s accounts as a result.
You can say that again...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The posts on yesterday's thread made in the early morning hours of this day are excellent.
Thank you, seeingclearly, for your contributions.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

More from that IoG document...
To increase the likelihood that decentralisation in England will be successful, we recommend that Whitehall adopt a principled approach to decentralisation, laying out the criteria which will govern devolution deals, and that the Treasury remain involved in the implementation phase of these deals.
:lol:

Fat chance of that happening with Osborne in charge of it.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote: The hard left are often accused of "virtue signalling", sometimes with some basis. But the worst exponents of it right now seem to be the Blairite rump.
I was reading about 'virtue signalling' the other day - coincidentally just about the time of the fuss about people wearing or not wearing poppies...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The trying time. It's just gone four o'clock in the afternoon and it's dark.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dan Hodges Declares War

In the wake of the Paris attacks, it should be obvious that what ISIS, or whatever they’re called this week, want from the west is a knee-jerk reaction, a retaliation to show that their narrative - that this is a war between the two parties - is true, and above all a retaliation to act as yet another recruiting sergeant. For this reason, some commentators have called for cool heads and calm minds to prevail. But only some of them.

http://linkis.com/blogspot.co.uk/jhr8Z
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Looks like DFH waited for a few days to have his meltdown, then.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Two Free Schools belonging to the same trust have had warning letters (well, one letter covering both schools) about low standards.

Both opened in 2012.
Warning Notice Letter to the Board of Directors of the Seckford Foundation Free Schools Trust in respect of Saxmundham Free School and Beccles Free School

Under Article 59 of the Articles of Association, the Secretary of State is able to issue a Warning Notice to the Directors of the Academy Trust if she is satisfied that the standards of performance of pupils is unacceptably low at any of the academies.

The purpose of this warning notice is to inform you, as the Directors of the Academy Trust, that the Secretary of State is satisfied that the standards of performance of pupils at Saxmundham Free School and Beccles Free School are unacceptably low. Unless the Directors take the actions listed below, the Secretary of State may appoint Additional Directors as she sees fit.
But...but...they're better than those pesky council run schools surely - everyone knows that!

The contrast with maintained schools can be seen in that threat to appoint additional directors - if this was an LA school it would be "you'll become an academy"...so where's the threat to move them to another academy chain (since that's what this is)?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

yahyah wrote:''Cabinet ministers will be asked today to take the axe to six-figure payoffs and pensions in a move that could save the taxpayer billions of pounds. Sick pay could also be slashed''

Will it apply to MPs ?
Wasn't there a Tory who told the media he took months off Parliament when his wife had cancer ?
Yes, there was. Now, what was his name? Ian? Iain something-or-other. It's on the tip of my tongue. Bald chap...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

UKIP DISTRIBUTE ‘FAKE JEREMY CORBYN LEAFLET’ IN OLDHAM BY-ELECTION
http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/11/u ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

How ‘pay to stay’ housing will penalise disabled people like my daughter
Stacie Lewis
My daughter is severely disabled and I have cancer. Not only is there is hardly any housing for us, George Osborne’s pay to stay scheme will double our rent

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ge-osborne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is the government that sneers at suggestions of rent controls ... but only in the private sector it seems ... they want to and will impose them in the social housing sector.

I think this comment from BTL says it all:
RDeckard 13m ago
Few things make me as sad and angry as how the Tories have treated people with disabilities. I really hate this Government.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

LadyCentauria wrote:
yahyah wrote:''Cabinet ministers will be asked today to take the axe to six-figure payoffs and pensions in a move that could save the taxpayer billions of pounds. Sick pay could also be slashed''

Will it apply to MPs ?
Yes, there was. Now, what was his name? Ian? Iain something-or-other. It's on the tip of my tongue. Bald chap...
How could I have forgotten it was him ? :lol:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 16th NovembDaniel Foote16 November 2015 at 16:er

Post by yahyah »

From the comments under the Hodges link:

Daniel Foote16 November 2015 at 16:37
Back straight and steely eyed, Dan says we should fight ISIS to the last drop of someone else's blood. Like to lead from the front, Dan?

As much chance of that as a squadron of pigs flying past the window.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

That arrogant finger wagging thing they do...horrible.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

yahyah wrote:Image

In fairness, Malala does it too.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Her message is somewhat different though. Thank goodness.

But fair enough if it can be a cultural thing, rather than just preachy, aggressive posturing by fanatics.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I don't like heavily armed paramilitary combat personnel regularly patrolling streets and being told it's the only way to keep civilians safe. It's terrifying. It's meant to be. And it's not true, it doesn't keep civilians safe.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I don't notice Vettel or Malala holding guns while they do it, or appearing in videos left for after they've blown people/themselves up.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Same act-saintly and the right thing to do /perversely incentivised entitlement cultured scum contributing nothing-ergo policies which actively,and increasingly discourage applied.Fascistic intent,surely recognisable now.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

RobertSnozers wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:

In fairness, Malala does it too.
Maybe they're all fans of Sebastian Vettel

Must be a multi cultural thing then.

tbh, I've not noticed waggy finger things going on with any of my Moslem friends. Waggly heads in plenty though.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

This morning Mr Ohso went to meet his friend at a Garden centre cafe.

While they were there there was a minute's silence for the victims in Paris.

Mr Ohso said he glanced around and there was an old couple, he thinks they were Pakinstani. The man mouthed 'sorry' to Mr Ohso when the silence finished, so Mr Ohso went over to him; told him not all of us blamed every Muslim for the actions of a few and then gave him a hug....

I was dead proud of him....
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

One potato, two potato, three potato, four.....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Iain Duncan Nosferatu Cockwomble Schmidt does finger-waggy-pointy-thingie too.

As does OGRPPFGTCC. When fish are involved, or if he has a puce episode at PMQs.

I do it when I'm really annoyed. Usually at the mirror, to be fair.

Point a finger at someone, and there's another three pointing back at you......

OhSo - give that lovely man of yours a great big smackeroo from me, please. (That's a big wet kiss in our house)
Last edited by ephemerid on Mon 16 Nov, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

'Moderate' Labourites reaction to anything that Corbyn says seems to be the latest version of HM Bateman "the man who" cartoons
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

A professional finger wagger

[youtube]ec3wJlHtVMM[/youtube]
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Don't know if it is unique to local slang, but round these parts 'wagging' also means truancy :o i.e. "I'm not going to school today, I'm wagging it"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 13m13 minutes ago
Labour hits back at UKIP 'dirty tricks' leaflet against Jeremy Corbyn in Oldham by-election.
http://huff.to/1NX06Tb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... An Electoral Commission spokesman told HuffPost UK that the law only states that a candidate's 'imprint' should be on all leaflets, making clear who printed and published it.

As for headlines, "that's not something the Commission regulates"...
The Electoral Commission seem to be particularly toothless ... if not downright gummy.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Cllr Gethin James ‏@james_gethin Nov 13
Thank you to the Members of UKIP Ceredigion for choosing me as their Constituency Candidate for the 2016 Welsh Assembly Elections #UKIP

BBC Wales are running a series called Cardigan Bay Coastal Lives.

Kipper Gethin James is one of the lives being followed for the programme.
He runs a cafe at Aberporth, and it features him and his family.
The fact that he is a UKIP councillor is very heavily featured.
In the beginning episode he was shown at an event with his UKIP stall.

That sort of exposure will be worth votes. It may help him next May.
I'm surprised the BBC allowed such a political character to have air time in the run up to the elections.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"I didn't hear you screaming when ,year long delays,penalisation of rooms for care,and thirty quid wasn't being removed from the not terminal enough terminally ill with progressive conditions were not being applied"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 13m13 minutes ago
Labour hits back at UKIP 'dirty tricks' leaflet against Jeremy Corbyn in Oldham by-election.
http://huff.to/1NX06Tb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... An Electoral Commission spokesman told HuffPost UK that the law only states that a candidate's 'imprint' should be on all leaflets, making clear who printed and published it.

As for headlines, "that's not something the Commission regulates"...
The Electoral Commission seem to be particularly toothless ... if not downright gummy.
The problem with that leaflet is two out of three statements are largely true (although he has my full support for abolishing the monarchy).

Only one is bollocks, I don't believe he has advocated getting rid of the army.

His position on the Falklands is a disgrace - he advocates a joint administration with Argentina and proposes to ignore the will of the islanders if they vote against such a thing. This sort of rubbish is what happens when you negotiate with an enemy who's minimum condition (sovereignty of the Islands) far exceeds your maximum concession.

True none of this is Labour policy, but neither is scrapping our nuclear deterrent and Corbyn bangs on about that relentlessly.

The other problem is that Hodges is to some degree right in his rant, although not in his statement Corbyn is a threat to national security. However unless Corbyn takes some less dovish positions on this stuff he will be seen as a threat to national security by the tabloid reading public. Is it fair, no; is it electorally toxic yes.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

2.5 million parked,nobody ever saw them,abandoned,left to rot,contributing nothing-the utterations of an expert and thoroughly decent man.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2015/11/th ... f4.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The broken child poverty pledge

http://politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/11/16/ ... p-child-po" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 16 Nov, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TobyLatimer wrote:Don't know if it is unique to local slang, but round these parts 'wagging' also means truancy :o i.e. "I'm not going to school today, I'm wagging it"
Well, Tobes, that would suit OGRPPFGTCC perfectly, no?
He doesn't go in for, like, work.
Holidays, though. He's good at those.

I thought I would let you lovely people know that I have had two days of seriously tedious gallstone-induced yuckiness, and I am now officially sick of my own chicken noodle soup which I usually love and take at any available opportunity. Usually.
(This is my attempt at garnering a great deal of sympathy. I'm aware it might not work. Neither does heavy-duty Co-Codamol....)

Meanwhile, I have been trying to do my online grocery shop and have engaged with a whole new world of "low-fat" comestibles.
These appear to be largely made of some very strange emulsified chemicals, palm sugar, and stuff I'm scared to look up.
I won't be buying any of it - I have no intention of poisoning myself. This stuff bears no relation to actual food, as far as I can see.

I'm scared of my food as it is....... but I am losing a lot of weight, which is not a bad thing. Every cloud, etc.

This is all very frivolous stuff, considering what's going on the world right now.......but I had to laugh today as I was (vicariously) enjoying the weekend food columns.
Jay Rayner wrote a funny thing about obsessing on what meat/fowl to cook on Christmas Day, pointing out that there are only 6 weeks to go - a wag BTL suggested it's time to get the sprouts on....

A wag. Oh dear. Back to that again....