Friday 20th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 20th November 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 20th November 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning. Looks like it's going to be another one of those ...
James Forsyth ‏@JGForsyth 15m15 minutes ago
By my count, @ChukaUmunna comments indicate that three of Corbyn's most likely successors are inclined to back action against IS in Syria

James Forsyth ‏@JGForsyth 16m16 minutes ago
Interesting, @ChukaUmunna calling for a free vote on Syria and indicating that he'll defy the whip if one isn't granted
They really assume that Umunna is a 'likely successor' to Corbyn, do they. So out of touch.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

And Radio 4 is calmly announcing that health budgets to local authorities will be be cut over the next 4 years - public health and education budgets which includes checks and screening - and possibly the replacement of nursing student grants with 'loans'.

All the while the Tories are saying that health funding isn't being cut.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Now we're being 'treated' to John Reid on Radio 4.

Why are Radio 4 and others allowed to get away with constantly seeking and airing the views of those from a past era ... and calling them 'moderates' over and over again? It's a completely meaningless term now.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

LadyCentauria wrote: " Acting Leader of the Labour Party" !!!???
None of the results are great but it's a relief to see Corbyn at the top
Looks like banner from October poll graphics been 'accidentally' left on November one.
ipsos website has:

twitter one was:-
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Ok, it's only one poll, You Gov showed it much worse for Corbyn, and it doesn't seem to have helped Labour's voting intention figures, but some of the 'moderates' must be feeling a little uncomfortable.

Despite the 'moderates' best efforts to tell voters Corbyn's crap, there's a headline in the Indie saying ''Jeremy Corbyn ahead of David Cameron in latest leadership ratings''.
They must be feeling as sick as the proverbial parrots and will be doubling their efforts.

Portsmouth Labour councillor & parliamentary candidate John Ferret, who did stirling work against repulsive Lib Dem Mike Hancock, was very disappointing on Radio 4 this morning.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Sorry, he is Ferrett, not a ferret.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour's Health Team ‏@LabourHealth 2m2 minutes ago
.@heidi_mp has had an Urgent Question granted on the junior doctor contract negotiations. It will be heard at 11.00am in the Commons.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I presume this is his official twitter account ?

Cllr John Ferrett ‏@John_Ferrett 12h12 hours ago
A good example of why Labour are unfit to run anything at the moment is being played out at the Portsmouth Labour Party AGM #chaos

If it is, does he really not understand how the Tories, UKIP & Lib Dems will use that to their political advantage in their campaigning.

I despair, I really do.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Nicola Sturgeon is guest on Desert Island Discs,
DuranDuran, I despair.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

tinybgoat wrote:Nicola Sturgeon is guest on Desert Island Discs,
DuranDuran, I despair.
Guess she was too young to be a Rollers fan.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

To be fair to her (not something I say often) music was pretty crap for her generation.
I'd go to a desert island to avoid listening to most of the stuff from that era.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Good morrow, Fledglngs!

Allow me to explain what the satisfaction survey figures really mean.
As that nice Mr.Dilnot hasn't had to write a stiff letter to anyone today, we can be certain that the following interpretation is correct.

Mr.Farron is on -14 because nobody knows who he is.
Mr.Farridge is on -12 because everyone knows who he is.
Mr.Corbyn is on -3 because some people are vegetarian.

Sir King God OGRPPFGTCC is on +15,000,000 because he is universally loved and admired and is tough and passionate at all times.
His sainted government is on +22,000,000 because it is run by Baron Gidiot De Gimpsuit who is really very very clever indeed.

Evidently, the country is being run with the utmost compassion and efficiency, and this is why sleeves will continue to be rolled up and neckties loosened (or removed altogether in a state of emergency) while our hardworkingcabinetfamiliespoliceandarmy (TM) have many many meetings in the Snakepit. Rest assured that the country is in the most excellent hands (manicured) that money can buy.

Now that we are finally at war with brown people we don't like who have some oil - and the delays are bad news for Ed Miliband - Madame Theresa (call sign - Mayday Mayday) will be sure to scrutinise our activities in order to keep us safe, which is jolly reassuring.

If there is any confusion regarding the satisfaction ratings, George Nosferatu Smith will send a DWP spokesthingbot along to explain them in full.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

yahyah wrote:To be fair to her (not something I say often) music was pretty crap for her generation.
I'd go to a desert island to avoid listening to most of the stuff from that era.
I can't take Duran Duran seriously as I (kind of) knew them before they made it big - not exactly "pub band" status, but smaller venues - through some of the people I worked with at Harrods. Most of them were pretty cool, but Simon (very much the latecomer anyway) always came across as a bit of a tool. :clap:

There was a lot of good stuff around then too (I was big into 2 Tone ska) but a helluva lot of dross to boot.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
yahyah wrote:To be fair to her (not something I say often) music was pretty crap for her generation.
I can't take Duran Duran seriously as I (kind of) knew them before they made it big - not exactly "pub band" status, but smaller venues - through some of the people I worked with at Harrods. Most of them were pretty cool, but Simon (very much the latecomer anyway) always came across as a bit of a tool. :clap:

There was a lot of good stuff around then too (I was big into 2 Tone ska) but a helluva lot of dross to boot.
I turned the radio off as soon as I realised who the guest was.

The thing about 80s music, as it seems to me anyway, is that the stuff that is widely remembered now is the commercial dross rather than the less popular but musically more interesting tunes. A bit like if the 60s were chiefly thought of today as the decade that brought us Herman's Hermits.
Tru dat. I was also into Genesis, Kate Bush & the Police back then, all of which still gets radio play, but you rarely hear the likes of The Selecter or The Beat on the oldie stations now (apart from when Pauline Black has done the odd show on 6 Music); bit of Madness is their token nod to that particular genre.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/nov ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Criminal courts charge must be abolished 'as soon as possible'
Justice committee says mandatory payment of up to £1,200 for convicted defendants ‘incompatible with principles of justice’
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Finances not looking great. Still.

How has Osborne got a reputation for being a competent chancellor?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

A procession of city economists saying Osborne can't ease the spending cuts. Change to tax credits mean more cuts elsewhere.
It hasn't worked so far. :wall:

On the other hand
Ross Campbell, director for public policy at the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, says:

The government is seeing a lack of significant progress on reducing the deficit ahead of the autumn statement next week. This current trend could prove more problematic ahead for the chancellor. Our recent business confidence monitor suggests the economic recovery is slowing which could have an impact on tax revenues, which have been slowing and actually fell back year-on-year in October.

At a time of constrained public finances, impending cuts and tight departmental budgets, the UK government still needs to modernise its approach to financial management. With further austerity measures due to be announced, a comprehensive financial review would ensure sustainability is at the heart of long-term decision making. What is needed is a modern finance ministry to ensure all aspects of financial management – income, expenditure, liabilities, and assets – are taken into account, not just spending.”
That's quite strong stuff for the ICAEW, embedded in the heart of the establishment as they are.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning. Looks like it's going to be another one of those ...
James Forsyth ‏@JGForsyth 15m15 minutes ago
By my count, @ChukaUmunna comments indicate that three of Corbyn's most likely successors are inclined to back action against IS in Syria

James Forsyth ‏@JGForsyth 16m16 minutes ago
Interesting, @ChukaUmunna calling for a free vote on Syria and indicating that he'll defy the whip if one isn't granted
They really assume that Umunna is a 'likely successor' to Corbyn, do they. So out of touch.
Who are the other two "likely successors" then?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Cooper and Burnham?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Gidders should have stuck to his first occupation

[youtube]nNIZQGx4G-U[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. Just popped by to stick this on record...wonder who might do this?

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: I can't take Duran Duran seriously as I (kind of) knew them before they made it big - not exactly "pub band" status, but smaller venues - through some of the people I worked with at Harrods. Most of them were pretty cool, but Simon (very much the latecomer anyway) always came across as a bit of a tool. :clap:

The thing about 80s music, as it seems to me anyway, is that the stuff that is widely remembered now is the commercial dross rather than the less popular but musically more interesting tunes. A bit like if the 60s were chiefly thought of today as the decade that brought us Herman's Hermits.
Tru dat. I was also into Genesis, Kate Bush & the Police back then, all of which still gets radio play, but you rarely hear the likes of The Selecter or The Beat on the oldie stations now (apart from when Pauline Black has done the odd show on 6 Music); bit of Madness is their token nod to that particular genre.
There was always Brian Pern, singer of Thotch, the man who invented World music & the first singer to have plasticine on his face:

[youtube]r0Gk1lkMCp4[/youtube]
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all. Just popped by to stick this on record...wonder who might do this?

How can that happen? I didn't think usernames could be duplicated - or has that regulation gone by the board? (Or am I being dense and not spotting the difference - a bit like "Paris in the the spring"?)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

I wasn't there (thankfully) but I can only apologise . . . . .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
How can that happen? I didn't think usernames could be duplicated - or has that regulation gone by the board? (Or am I being dense and not spotting the difference - a bit like "Paris in the the spring"?)
If you look closely there is a zero instead of a capital O.

O

Almost the same on first viewing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodmorning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

O

Unbelievable.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

While I'm here...I wrote about Ely College the other week and how CfBT seemed to have done nothing for them in the three years since they joined.

Ely College governors chairman ‘ extremely disappointed’ that letter outlining change of academy sponsors was leaked to Ely Standard- she claims it was ‘one-sided inaccurate representation of the facts’.

http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/ely_c ... _1_4313375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However new chairman of the governors, Tricia Prichard, claims that the letter – leaked 24 hours ahead of it due to be sent- has caused unnecessary concern.

She told parents in a separate note: “You may be aware of reports in the local media suggesting that CfBT Schools Trust has been ‘sacked’ as the sponsor of Ely College.

“These reports are categorically untrue and result from inaccurate reporting of an early draft of a letter that you were to receive from me today, which we believe was leaked to the media.

“Although it has now been somewhat overtaken by events, I have attached the correct letter for your information so that you can read it in full as was originally intended.

“The purpose of this letter was to let you know that the trust has agreed to begin talks with the Department for Education about the possibility of transferring Ely College to another academy sponsor.

The trust has not been sacked, or removed. It will continue to work closely with our senior leadership team and supporting the college until a new sponsor has been identified, whereupon the transition process will begin.
Not sacked and yet they've clearly been told that CfBT aren't right for them? OK...

And this
Ms Prichard, recently appointed chairman of governors, tells parents that their current academy sponsor CfBT Schools Trust is based in Reading with no other schools in this area.

She said that given this geography CfBT has agreed with the Department for Education (DfE) that the “scale and style of support needed to bring about wholesale, rapid change” could only be done by replacing it.
Again.

How many more are we likely to see where the DfE made a serious cock-up with their rush to make as many academies as possible?
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Fri 20 Nov, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

O

Thanks for the explanation. But - why would they\he bother? (No offence!) Strange behaviour.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

danesclose wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: I turned the radio off as soon as I realised who the guest was.

There was always Brian Pern, singer of Thotch, the man who invented World music & the first singer to have plasticine on his face:

[youtube]r0Gk1lkMCp4[/youtube]
Strictly speaking Thotch were very much a 70s band, Brian had gone solo by the 80s.

(Kudos to Peter Gabriel for taking the joke so well)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've been away from the media for a few days.
Shock UK deficit figures dent George Osborne's economic plan
Gap between state spending and revenue is worst in October for six years with economists warning chancellor will need further austerity or miss annual target

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ge-osborne
What are any of them still doing in government?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Hugo seems to be becoming more and more blatant, I see. I can see this latest incarnation lasting even less long than most, though ;)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

O

Thanks for the explanation. But - why would they\he bother? (No offence!) Strange behaviour.
Why do they bother posting the junk they post?
Angry, crazy, bad-mannered liars.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:I've been away from the media for a few days.
Gap between state spending and revenue is worst in October for six years with economists warning chancellor will need further austerity or miss annual target

Hello.

The fact that this isn't plastered over every front page might go a long way to answering your question!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

The good news just keeps coming.

NHS deficit soars to £1.6bn

http://gu.com/p/4ecpb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I've been away from the media for a few days.

Hello.

The fact that this isn't plastered over every front page might go a long way to answering your question!
Look at the sub-heading.
Who are the 'economists warning chancellor will need further austerity or miss annual target'?
Insanity.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

“We’ve learned there’s no shortcut to fixing the public finances to provide economic security for working people – that’s why in the spending review next week we’ll continue the hard work of identifying savings and making reforms necessary to build a resilient economy.”

Complete gobblydygookbollox.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all. Just popped by to stick this on record...wonder who might do this?

In case anyone thought Hugo (or should that be Hug0?) was just a harmless obsessive... I assume it's him, the voice is certainly similar, and getting splatted so quickly is consistent.

Trying to pass one's own posts off as those of a longstanding and widely respected commenter is completely unnacceptable. That someone would stoop to that level sheds a little light on why he was banned in the first place.

It also shows a degree of desperation, which seems to be the hallmark of the anti-Corbyn commentariat at the moment. Gradually rising shock that they haven't been able to get rid of him yet, or that some disaster has not befallen the party.
Pretending to be another long established poster is one of the most blatant and crudest forms of trolling.

I had genuinely thought SH was better than that despite everything, it seems that even if he once was he isn't now. Sad.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

HindleA wrote:“We’ve learned there’s no shortcut to fixing the public finances to provide economic security for working people – that’s why in the spending review next week we’ll continue the hard work of identifying savings and making reforms necessary to build a resilient economy.”

It's the evenlongerthantheoriginallongtermeconomicplan
rustinpeace
Backbencher

Post by rustinpeace »

RobertSnozers wrote:Trying to pass one's own posts off as those of a longstanding and widely respected commenter is completely unnacceptable. That someone would stoop to that level sheds a little light on why he was banned in the first place.
My sides!! I'll give you 'longstanding' though. That he is.

It wasn't me, just to be 100% clear. I'd have been far wittier than that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

gilsey wrote:A procession of city economists saying Osborne can't ease the spending cuts. Change to tax credits mean more cuts elsewhere.
It hasn't worked so far. :wall:

On the other hand
Ross Campbell, director for public policy at the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, says:

The government is seeing a lack of significant progress on reducing the deficit ahead of the autumn statement next week. This current trend could prove more problematic ahead for the chancellor. Our recent business confidence monitor suggests the economic recovery is slowing which could have an impact on tax revenues, which have been slowing and actually fell back year-on-year in October.

At a time of constrained public finances, impending cuts and tight departmental budgets, the UK government still needs to modernise its approach to financial management. With further austerity measures due to be announced, a comprehensive financial review would ensure sustainability is at the heart of long-term decision making. What is needed is a modern finance ministry to ensure all aspects of financial management – income, expenditure, liabilities, and assets – are taken into account, not just spending.”
That's quite strong stuff for the ICAEW, embedded in the heart of the establishment as they are.
Good point made by Simon Wren-Lewis here, on those lines.
I have, however, made a general point about finance ministries and independent central banks. Delegating macroeconomic stabilisation means that finance ministries no longer need to have so much in house expertise on how the macroeconomy works. Furthermore in the UK the establishment of the OBR, which took over responsibility from the Treasury for macro and aggregate fiscal forecasting, reduced the need for that expertise still further. This means that in any contest between controlling spending (which finance ministries always have to do) and looking after the broader economy, it has become more likely that the economy will lose out.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

It's one thing I'm worried about with the Corbynites- independent stuff like fiscal councils don't come easily to them. You just "democratise" everything, and it's all supposed to work for the best.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

tinybgoat wrote:Nicola Sturgeon is guest on Desert Island Discs,
DuranDuran, I despair.
Planet Earth is good.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Corrosive micturition.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good afternoon everyone

I see a self-delusional twat has been spraying shit on our site again......it really must take some effort to be so ignorant

I see that the great British media is managing to avoid talking about the crisis about to explode in our public services
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: I can't take Duran Duran seriously as I (kind of) knew them before they made it big - not exactly "pub band" status, but smaller venues - through some of the people I worked with at Harrods. Most of them were pretty cool, but Simon (very much the latecomer anyway) always came across as a bit of a tool. :clap:

Love that early eighties stuff, it just got worse as time went on. some of the reggae/ska/punk people are still around for live music, and internet radio stations give them airtime, I should know, until my youngest got the hang of understanding I didn't want my ears blasted off all day that was the stuff he listened to. The Beat of course cloned itself, both still perform, Wakeling in the US, Roger over here.
Pauline is around too.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:“We’ve learned there’s no shortcut to fixing the public finances to provide economic security for working people – that’s why in the spending review next week we’ll continue the hard work of identifying savings and making reforms necessary to build a resilient economy.”

I thought the Chartered Accountants comment posted by gilsey above put it well. All we hear about is spending cuts - what happened to income, assets and liabilities? Why aren't Osborne's cuts being placed in the context of the other measures that are reducing income, decimating assets and piling up liabilities for the future?
Why is no one questioning why the tax credits bill isn't naturally shrinking as wages rise and unemployment falls? Why is no one concerned by how far Osborne is missing forecasts for tax receipts and how this failure affects his deficit reduction aims?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Good to see that target-driven culture isn't around now eh?

60 free schools ‘must be found’ for every area

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/sixty-free-sch ... -near-you/
Regional schools commissioners have been told to grant more than 60 new free schools each as the Department for Education formalises plans to meet David Cameron’s “challenging” pledge of 500 new schools by 2020.
Academy chain chief executive Alan Yellup (pictured above), who is also on the headteacher board for West Yorkshire and Lancashire, revealed his region’s target at the Westminster Education Forum last week.

Schools Week understands the directive was sent to all eight regional school commissioner regions as efforts are stepped up to meet Mr Cameron’s pre-election pledge of 500 new free schools.

It was also revealed at the forum on Thursday that the DfE plans to involve local authorities in its free schools programme, a significant shift from the past five years where councils were generally bypassed.
Never mind whether those schools are actually needed in the area or now as Robert Hill says further down.

Had the pleasure of talking to him last week at a meeting - nice guy and very clued in as to what's going on and the direction of travel.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The chancellor wants to eliminate the deficit on the public finances by the end of the decade. As part of that push, he will unveil plans in his spending review on 25 November to cut government department spending by around £20bn over the next four years.
£20bn? That's not very much.

But the three cuddly parties said Labour had voted for £30bn Tory cuts.

Seems like not even George Osborne voted for them.