Friday 4th December 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 4th December 2015

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Oh dear.

Before

After

:lol!:

You could see that coming...
The "reduced majority" thing is such basic psephological illiteracy. Turnouts almost always drop on the GE level in byelections (even fiercely contested ones) so the only thing that really counts is vote share. Not surprisingly, the BBC seems to have trouble with this rather simple concept as well :roll:
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Fri 04 Dec, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Corbyn -negligible effect either way,not contentious surely ?I am with Paul Mason on this.I must say,most of the "journalists" coverage had been appalling,"Northerners can think for themselves" earthshatteringly inconvenient for the preferred narrative.

Well, quite, A.

Obviously, the "Northern Powerhouse" thingie has failed to galvanise the Tory vote in Oldham - 9.7% loss of vote share.....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

On the other hand,UKIP have a point about postal votes,I did wonder why there is only one candidate on the ballot,with the "x" already placed,personally delivered with a mini bus ferrying people to the postbox,I just thought they were being helpful,silly me.

Corrected spelling mistake.
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 04 Dec, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ephemerid wrote:John McTernan, in a specious article in the Telegraph entitled "Winning the Oldham by-election isn't a triumph for Corbyn. It's the minimum", has opined that the formula for a Labour win is "a Blairite candidate, a Blairite speech on security in the Commons (I assume he means Benn's) and total censorship of the leader".

I thought Jim McMahon won because he is a popular local politician, not because he's a Blairite (is he a Blairite?).
He did endorse Liz Kendall for the leadership - but that appears more to be (as with other prominent local government figures who did so) her enthusiasm for the "devolution agenda" rather than his sharing her ideolgical position within Labour. If he is anything, its Blue Labour (and I mean that in its proper sense - not the widespread, but incorrect, shorthand for "Blairite" that too many now employ) He also said nice things about Jez, despite admitting they had differences.

And both Progress and Momentum went to campaign for him, with enthusiasm. He fundamentally seems to be a unifier not a divider, we need more of them :)

(the very opposite of McTernan's delusional, sectarian bile in fact)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

HindleA wrote:On the other hand,UKIP have a point about postal votes,I did wonder why their is only one candidate on the ballot,with the "x" already placed,personally delivered with a mini bus ferrying people to the postbox,I just thought they were being helpful,silly me.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-y ... apostrophe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At last, a book that tells you exactly where to stick your apostrophe

(Sweary)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://budgetresponsibility.org.uk/supp ... formation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Supplementary forecast information

We received a number of requests for supplementary forecast information following publication of our November 2015 Economic and fiscal outlook on 25 November 2015. As a result we have published our forecast for the Renewable Heat Incentive, further detail of the year-on-year changes to the cyclically adjusted current balance and a reconciliation of the savings associated with reversing the main tax credits measures in the Autumn Statement.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Good to hear McMahon putting the boot in to the Northern Powerhouse.
This is a truly overwhelming thing. For a local lad to represent the town he loves in Westminster is a big, big issue. I’m very clear; I am sick to death of what the Tories are doing to towns like Oldham. The whole Northern Powerhouse rhetoric is nothing more than a write-off of the north to create a poorhouse, and I’m sick of it. I think it’s about time that we show the Tories the people have had enough.
He's been involved with the negotiations I think, so knows whereof he speaks.

Simon Jenkins had described him as an 'Osbornista'.
The 35-year-old local council leader and, until yesterday, probable elected mayor of the new Manchester regional authority, is one of a group of local politicians to do well from George Osborne’s “northern powerhouse”.

McMahon stands alongside such “Osbornistas” as Manchester’s Sir Richard Leese, Wigan’s Peter Smith and Sean Anstee of Trafford.
:D
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... nce-15-16/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Public Accounts Committee "Progress on UC explored" Evidence Session Monday.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/housing-netw ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why Sunderland GPs are prescribing boilers instead of pills
Cold homes make health problems worse. One housing association is saving the NHS thousands by keeping residents warm
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/12 ... igel-farag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The mask slips: Oldham result brings out the real Nigel Farage
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

UKIP accusations of Labour disguising themselves as post boxes in order to fool & steal Kipper votes are flatly denied as malicious rumours by McMahon's team
75712.jpg
75712.jpg (41.39 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I know some of you won't have anything to do with AS at the G, and this is certainly not going to change your mind. I'm posting it here because of the spectacular wrongness of his first conclusion - did the journalists make it up? No. Really?
What does the Oldham result really tells us Jeremy Corbyn's leadership? A Q&A

Almost all the media reporting from Oldham suggested that Labour was facing a real challenge from Ukip, partly because some traditional supporters had doubts about Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership. Yet Labour won handsomely. Is that because the journalists were all just biased and wrong, as the Corbyn camp suggests? (See 10.26am.) Or were there other factors at play?

Here’s a Q&A that may untangle some of these issues.

Q: All this stuff about Corbyn being unpopular - did the journalists just get it wrong, or make it up?

No. Sometimes journalists do distort things to fit a political agenda but over the last few weeks there have been multiple reports from serious, reputable journalists who have either witnessed first-hand Oldham Labour-leaning voters criticising Corbyn, or reported Labour figures echoing these concerns. For example, there was Bagehot in the Economist, this report in the Daily Telegraph, Rafael Behr in the Guardian, George Eaton in the New Statesman and Helen Pidd in the Guardian.

I did not arrive in Oldham until yesterday afternoon but I was curious about this and I spent about an hour and a half talking to people in the Spindles shopping centre and I encountered the same phenomenon too. For example, Norman Davies, a retired Royal Mail worker, told me.

I’m generally a Labour man but unfortunately I won’t vote for them this time, not while they’ve got this idiot at the helm, this guy who would cut our defence, no way ... I don’t like him at all. He’s doing more harm than good for this country. He’s a no, no for them.

If Labour really thought Corbyn was an asset here, he would have played a part in the campaign. But, apart from one visit early on, he stayed away, and he did not feature much on Labour campaign leaflets either.

Q: So, if Corbyn really is unpopular with some voters, why didn’t that make any difference?

I can think of think of three reasons.

1) Corbyn’s leadership never became an issue. Ukip tried to make it the issue of the campaign but they failed to persuade the electorate that this was what the contest was about. Opposition parties like Ukip win byelections by identifying a grievance and invited voters to use the poll to express their feelings about this. People use byelections to rhetorically kick the prime minister. But they don’t use them to get involved in opposition leadership feuds.

2) But the identify of the local candidate was an issue - and Labour’s was excellent.

3) Corbyn may alienate some voters, but he attracts others too. I discovered this in my short spell in the shopping centre. For example, Nigel Jones, a former publican, told me:

I’ve been a card carrying Labour supporter for 33 years and I’m quite leftwing, so Corbyn is my ideal leader in a way.

And a district nurse who did not want to give her name told me.

[Corbyn’s] interesting, in a good way. You feel that he answers things. He does not talk like other politicians. They never answer anything.

The Corbyn effect may help to explain why the Greens did so badly. At the general election they got 839 votes (1.9%). Last night they got just 249, and their share of the vote was 0.9%.

Q: Are there any other factors that made a difference?

There weren’t any polls carried out in Oldham (because political polling is rather out of favour at the moment, given what happened at the general election). If there had been polling showing Labour clearly ahead, journalists would have recalibrated their expectations.

And Labour may have chosen to downplay expectations, on the grounds that it is much easier to get activists to campaign if they think there is a risk of their party losing. This happened in the Glenrothes byelection in 2008 and Oldham is similar. In Glenrothes the SNP thought they had a real chance of taking this safe Labour seat, but on the night Labour held on with a majority of almost 7,000, which was much larger than the pundits expected.

Q: So what lessons should we learn from Oldham?

The usual ones, that in byelections candidates matter, and that being organised matters even more. Nigel Farage’s complaints about postal voting are a tribute to the efficiency of the Labour machine. In addition we can add, that the opposition can win byelections even when it is divided at Westminster so long as the fundamentals on the ground are sound.

Q: And are there any lessons we shouldn’t take away from Oldham?

Yes. This contest was neither an endorsement or a rejection of Corbyn’s politics because his leadership never became the issue. At a general election his leadership and his policies will be deciding factors, and Oldham tells us next to nothing about what impact they might have.

And, although it was spectacularly bad for Ukip, it would be too soon to conclude that the Ukip threat to Labour in working class areas in the north is fading. Stephen Bush was very good on this at the Staggers yesterday. Glenrothes was a serious setback for the SNP. But seven years later it too the seat - and most of the rest of Scotland too.
Multiple reports by serious journalists, that's it.

He finds some people turned off by Corbyn, then later admits he found some that like him. This is reporting?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Off Topic.

Nightmare !!!

Mr Ohso has to have a low fibre diet for the next few weeks. Just checked out some sites to get an idea of what to give him.
He can eat lots of sugary stuff including caramel and chocolate...But we control his tendency for high blood sugar levels, with a low to no sugar diet!

No Sugar substitutes.

Fruit juice only. Not smoothies. No pips seeds or skin. Tinned peaches, apricots, are good.

He's been eating his vegetables because he's having to lose weight. But most vegetables are high in fibre so they're off the list apart from pureed carrots and cauliflour, and potatoes !!!

He can have cheese, cream, butter, cottage cheese, plain yogurts, creme-Freche etc, but there goes his waistline.

He can eat all meats ... And there goes my food budget!!!!

Oh what fun.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/201 ... 01516.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Public Bills Committee on the Housing and planning Bill,yesterday
An excerpt(Pay to Stay)

The person for whom I care is now severely disabled and chronically sick. He was diagnosed with a crippling, degenerative illness at the age of 17, but worked all his life…He now requires two carers, so that we can look after him virtually 24/7…He worked
very hard despite his medical problems and finished his career as a business unit manager with 204 staff spread over seven locations…He chose to stay in his flat in central London as it was close to his job and, through his hard work, built up a pension, which, in normal circumstances would be adequate. Now, however, because, at his income level, he does not receive help from the council, his pension is mostly spent on his carers and supplies which the NHS is unable to provide. Pay to Stay takes no account of these personal circumstances and does not recognise that, though his gross income will be just about £40k in 2017, more than half of that goes on his carers. I deal with all aspects of his life now, including his finances, and I know that, even though he is no longer able to pay to his carers the ‘going rate’, he is left, after tax, on a four figure income which is at poverty level. This is a problem that is bound to be faced by hundreds of disabled people at this income level.”
This part of the Bill will make people with real difficulties face that set of circumstances. Why does the Minister think that is appropriate? Many other examples have been provided, but I will not go through them—that one case sums up exactly the difficulties posed.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:Off Topic.

Nightmare !!!

Mr Ohso has to have a low fibre diet for the next few weeks. Just checked out some sites to get an idea of what to give him.
He can eat lots of sugary stuff including caramel and chocolate...But we control his tendency for high blood sugar levels, with a low to no sugar diet!

No Sugar substitutes.

Fruit juice only. Not smoothies. No pips seeds or skin. Tinned peaches, apricots, are good.

He's been eating his vegetables because he's having to lose weight. But most vegetables are high in fibre so they're off the list apart from pureed carrots and cauliflour, and potatoes !!!

He can have cheese, cream, butter, cottage cheese, plain yogurts, creme-Freche etc, but there goes his waistline.

Oh what fun.

Much to my surprise, tofu (low in fibre) is very palatable. It's good for absorbing flavours of sauces and the like. The best brand I've come across (consistency-wise) is by Cauldron Foods (you can get it in a lot of supermarkets).

Other brands are available . . .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think it is obvious that many voters in Oldham aren't wildly enthusiastic about Corbyn, but voted Labour nonetheless.

Why was this? Partly it was how good the candidate was, but this hasn't stopped other people (from all parties) struggling in byelections before. Might it actually be that the stereotypical MSM view of the "traditional Labour voting white working class" is actually just a bit wide of the mark?? They are more than just unthinking drones who will desert the party at the drop of a hat if people bang on about the Queen, the IRA and the Falklands (as UKIP did)

And of course UKIP are themselves widely regarded as a divisive, unattractive party. Even many people genuinely bothered about immigration, "multiculturalism" and so on regard them as a distinct turn off. And each day that passes, Farage looks more and more a parody of himself.

One more thing - a major (though widely overlooked) reason they did so well in Heywood/Middleton a year ago - with the same candidate as last night - was pushing the "red UKIP" agenda; leaflets saying "we will defend your benefits" (after Balls foolishly said an incoming Labour government would freeze child benefit) were disturbingly effective. They tried that this time, only to be widely laughed at after it was pointed out that their sole MP had voted *with* the government to cut tax credits.

Thank you, Douglas! :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:

Nightmare !!!

No Sugar substitutes.

Oh what fun.

Much to my surprise, tofu (low in fibre) is very palatable. It's good for absorbing flavours of sauces and the like. The best brand I've come across (consistency-wise) is by Cauldron Foods (you can get it in a lot of supermarkets).

That's helpful to know. He can also have rice [but not brown] and pasta, but no spices and no onions, or garlic. Only dried seasoning. It's going to be limiting.

Then we have to introduce healthier foods one item at a time then see what happens. :popcorn:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Good luck Ohso, best wishes to Mr.
Is Quorn any good?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think it is obvious that many voters in Oldham aren't wildly enthusiastic about Corbyn,
And some are.

But I think it's a widespread misapprehension in the Westminster bubble that life-long Labour voters would easily switch to another party.

It may be for every one that chooses to stay at home, there's another previous non-voter inspired to go to the polling booth. I appreciate that won't be anywhere near good enough in a GE.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

"It is the folly of too many, to mistake the echo of a London coffee-house for the voice of the kingdom" Jonathan Swift.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

But that's where an increased Labour membership and activism can come into play.

It is a longer term project there, but even yesterday the turnout was higher than nearly everybody - Labour "strategists" included - expected.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

gilsey wrote:Good luck Ohso, best wishes to Mr.
Is Quorn any good?
Mo Farah says so, and he is an official National Treasure.

Good luck with all of that Ohso.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Angharad Penrhyn ‏@angharadPJ 20 mins20 minutes ago

@bbcnickrobinson @KathrynGray @stellacreasy @BBCr4today Intimidation unacceptable but Stella's confirmed there was no protest outside house.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Is Quorn any good?
I worked on its development: very high in fibre.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:
gilsey wrote:I know some of you won't have anything to do with AS at the G, and this is certainly not going to change your mind. I'm posting it here because of the spectacular wrongness of his first conclusion - did the journalists make it up? No. Really?
What does the Oldham result really tells us Jeremy Corbyn's leadership? A Q&A

Almost all the media reporting from Oldham suggested that Labour was facing a real challenge from Ukip, partly because some traditional supporters had doubts about Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership. Yet Labour won handsomely. Is that because the journalists were all just biased and wrong, as the Corbyn camp suggests? (See 10.26am.) Or were there other factors at play?

Here’s a Q&A that may untangle some of these issues.

Q: All this stuff about Corbyn being unpopular - did the journalists just get it wrong, or make it up?

No. Sometimes journalists do distort things to fit a political agenda but over the last few weeks there have been multiple reports from serious, reputable journalists who have either witnessed first-hand Oldham Labour-leaning voters criticising Corbyn, or reported Labour figures echoing these concerns. For example, there was Bagehot in the Economist, this report in the Daily Telegraph, Rafael Behr in the Guardian, George Eaton in the New Statesman and Helen Pidd in the Guardian.

I did not arrive in Oldham until yesterday afternoon but I was curious about this and I spent about an hour and a half talking to people in the Spindles shopping centre and I encountered the same phenomenon too. For example, Norman Davies, a retired Royal Mail worker, told me.

I’m generally a Labour man but unfortunately I won’t vote for them this time, not while they’ve got this idiot at the helm, this guy who would cut our defence, no way ... I don’t like him at all. He’s doing more harm than good for this country. He’s a no, no for them.
He finds some people turned off by Corbyn, then later admits he found some that like him. This is reporting?
There's a question no-one is asking, and which may be uncomfortable: are fewer potential Labour voters put off by Corbyn than were put off by Miliband? (and by extension, were some of those who claim to be put off by Corbyn also put off by Miliband?)
And it is at least possible some of these "former Labour voters" quoted didn't vote for us in May either - and possibly for rather longer than that?
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

PorFavor wrote:

Nightmare !!!

No Sugar substitutes.

Oh what fun.

Some, perhaps a lot, of simple Japanese recipes are very low in fibre, especially those based around rice. Can he have soy sauce?

I can copy a few recipes for you if it might help.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Is Quorn any good?
Mo Farah says so, and he is an official National Treasure.

It's quite weird. All the foodstuffs you are supposed to eat to keep your bowel healthy, are not allowed when you've had six or more inches removed...Hopefully his body will adjust and once the join is healed he'll be able to go back to a healthy diet, but there may be some foods he'll never be able to eat again.

Doesn't matter though. Whatever it takes.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/201 ... rians.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pavement Parking (Protection of Vulnerable Pedestrians) Bill 2015-16

Second Reading now in H of C,funnilly enough we were discussing this issue,a couple of days ago.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:(McMahon) did endorse Liz Kendall for the leadership - but that appears more to be (as with other prominent local government figures who did so) her enthusiasm for the "devolution agenda" rather than his sharing her ideolgical position within Labour. If he is anything, its Blue Labour (and I mean that in its proper sense - not the widespread, but incorrect, shorthand for "Blairite" that too many now employ) He also said nice things about Jez, despite admitting they had differences.

And both Progress and Momentum went to campaign for him, with enthusiasm. He fundamentally seems to be a unifier not a divider, we need more of them :)

(the very opposite of McTernan's delusional, sectarian bile in fact)
What happened with that 'anti-Corbyn' candidate who was 'barred' from standing? Presumably if McMahon was such an 'Osbornista/Blairite' then 'ver unions' would have 'barred' him as well?

Or was the whole story just MSM BS?
Kate Godfrey (and I say this slightly hesitantly, but still) gives the impression of being a bit of a fantasist, tbh.

(nobody has tracked down the "LP member[s] in Oldham" who were supposedly imploring her to stand)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RobertSnozers wrote:
HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-y ... apostrophe

(Sweary)
Bollock's to that

You're comment has been noted.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Is Quorn any good?
Mo Farah is paid to say so, and he is an official National Treasure.

Fixed that for you ;)
I'm sure he does it for free, simply because he believes in it so much. ;)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Maeght wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Nightmare !!!

No Sugar substitutes.

Oh what fun.

Some, perhaps a lot, of simple Japanese recipes are very low in fibre, especially those based around rice. Can he have soy sauce?

Yes. Thank you. I'd love to see them. As long as they don't involve raw fish...Couldn't handle that for love nor money.
Soy sauce is allowed. But not stir fry. The only veg he's allowed - carrots and cauliflower - must be boiled to the point of mush then pureed. :roll: :lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Met Police investigate expenses of two MPs (BBC News website)

The cases were referred to the police earlier this year by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority watchdog, which oversees expenses.
No word of who the MPs are, though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35004172
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Maeght wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Yes. Thank you. I'd love to see them. As long as they don't involve raw fish...Couldn't handle that for love nor money.
Soy sauce is allowed. But not stir fry. The only veg he's allowed - carrots and cauliflower - must be boiled to the point of mush then pureed. :roll: :lol:
My dad had a bowel op for Crohns and he's still poorly with it, but even he's able to eat mushy peas again now, so hopefully Mr OhSo won't be on the mashed potato for too long.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/d ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Every 16-year-old in Sweden to receive copy of We Should All Be Feminists
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greens ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stella Creasy crushes story about protest outside her house
Roy Greenslade
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all - been shooting around a bit this morning. School first to discuss parking yet again, off to get cat food and now off to the library.

There's a story about a requirement for new free schools to take account of potential pupil demand that's been dropped.

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/bidding-for-fr ... reamlined/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Presumably that's the only way for cameron to achieve his 500...good job we're stuffed with cash right now eh?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ohsocynical

Don't know if his site is of any use but it might be. It's all I could find (after a quick look). It might at least give you some ideas.

http://kelliesfoodtoglow.com/nutrition- ... delicious/

Edited to add

I noticed that onion (verboten) is included in one of the recipes. Is dried onion powder allowed?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/media/greens ... are_btn_tw

Stella Creasy crushes story about protest outside her house
Roy Greenslade
Labour people repeating this uncritically was genuinely one of the most depressing moments of the whole week.

We now know that the whole thing was basically invented by a troll account. Is it too much to hope that will make some stop and think in future?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Hencke Retweeted
Mark Conrad ‏@markconradhack 2h2 hours ago
He's nailed it again: @davidhencke gets behind the headlines and reveals why Labour really held Oldham convincingly. https://davidhencke.wordpress.com/2015/ ... challenge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-y ... apostrophe

(Sweary)
Bollock's to that

You're comment has been noted.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rob Merrick ‏@Rob_Merrick 2h2 hours ago
Not a great day for David Cameron in The Sun - accused of a 'dodgy dossier' (p1)....and dressed up as a Brussels sprout (p2)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patients Deserve The Truth.jpg
Patients Deserve The Truth.jpg (65.8 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
Hugh Harvey ‏@DrHughHarvey 33m33 minutes ago
It is time for an explicit public apology and explanation from the Health Secretary. Patients deserve the truth.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Afternoon all.
Nicholas Anagram has another attempt at getting on the annual "Graun" shortlist:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ivingstone

As the first comment BTL says:
shoutyboy
3h ago
135 136

Aaagghh! Another split. The end is nigh! Oh hang on a sec. Back in the real world, the one of actual votes, Labour wins a stonking victory!! Still can't spin that so back to the splits! Splits I tell you!
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:@ohsocynical

Don't know if his site is of any use but it might be. It's all I could find (after a quick look). It might at least give you some ideas.

http://kelliesfoodtoglow.com/nutrition- ... delicious/

Edited to add

I noticed that onion (verboten) is included in one of the recipes. Is dried onion powder allowed?
I'm not sure about onion powder, I'm going to see if I can talk to a dietician before he comes home. I know they've said no garlic. It's something to do with whats in the food affecting the level of fluid which is normally extracted as food goes through you. With less bowel it's harder to control. And also to give it as little work to do as possible while it heals.

What I've done is go to a couple of online NHS hospital sites and checked what they say.
Guy's and St Thomas's had the most comprehensive list. It's a boiled, bland, stodgy diet as far as I can make out.
The problem's going to be if he's unable to tolerate healthier food after the healing period, added to which he'll then start chemo which makes him lose his appetite.

They recommend eating every four hours throughout the day. Six meals at least although they class something like cheese and Jacobs cream crackers as a meal.

At the hospital they're giving him ice cream, jelly, yogurt, and strained soup - tomato I think. And he's had a slice of toast.

He can eat eggs, so I foresee lots of scrambled egg on toast :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Rob Merrick ‏@Rob_Merrick 2h2 hours ago
Not a great day for David Cameron in The Sun - accused of a 'dodgy dossier' (p1)....and dressed up as a Brussels sprout (p2)
Is he dressed as a Brussel sprout because they make you fart a lot?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Green crap
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Green crap

Oooh chapeau.