Thursday 24th December 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Thursday 24th December 2015

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... abour-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK homelessness rising faster among minority ethnic groups, Labour says
Shadow housing minister says homelessness rose 21% and 33% among black and Asian households, respectively, compared with 7% in general population

In a separate development, Healey also released new figures suggesting that 440,000 vulnerable people could find their accommodation at risk because of the impact a housing benefit cut in the autumn statement will have on people in supported housing – accommodation for people who need some element of care or assistance."Based on an analysis by PlaceShapers, a group that represents more than 100 community-based housing associations, Healey said supported housing providers could lose at least £400m because of the housing benefit cut.

Of the 440,000 tenants who could be affected, more than 300,000 are elderly people who live in accommodation where they receive some support. The others include young people leaving care, women fleeing domestic abuse and people with learning disabilities."
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Re: Thursday 24th December 2015

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... melessness
Single Homeless Project has already seen councils forced to close or restrict access to hostel accommodation and preventative community-based support services (Council leaders express fears over years of harsh cuts to funding , 18 December). In one borough where we work the council has agreed to cut its annual spend on single homelessness by 72% – and that was before the detail of this latest settlement was known. The next round of cuts will make the situation significantly worse for these vulnerable people and particularly hurt the “single” homeless – adults without dependents – for whom local authorities do not have a statutory duty to house or support.
If councils have to pass on the cuts to services for those below the statutory threshold, the numbers forced to sleep rough will continue to rise and the evictions of vulnerable tenants currently in secure housing will increase. This will inevitably escalate demand for more expensive public services. These cuts are both inhumane and a false economy. It’s a shame that the government’s desire to “live within our means” will leave so many people out in the cold.
Liz Rutherfoord
Chief executive, Single Homeless Project
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/dw ... briefings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DWP blocks publication of reports on impact of private media briefings

Disabled activists are calling on the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to release secret reports which could prove whether it has been engaging in a propaganda campaign to demonise disabled people in the media.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35173650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Housing benefit cuts would 'affect schemes for vulnerable'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35170590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reflect on Christian values, David Cameron says in Christmas message
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

I could watch this all day.

Bloomberg have an animated Paul Krugman thumping George Osborne

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015- ... usterians/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot01341.jpg
ScreenShot01341.jpg (75.57 KiB) Viewed 10035 times
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

OGRPPFGTCC is, once again, a Christian. Yea, verily.

Let us never forget that he is, according to himself, the latter-day Christ and his Big Society is carrying on the work of Jesus.

You will all be pleased to know that, despite only 50% of the UK population describing themselves as religious in any way (which includes people of all faiths), the UK is a Christian country. So says Dave, so it must be true.
So impressed is he with this, he is determined to impose his christianvaluesforhardworkingfamilies(TM) on us all, and it's only a matter of time before young couples are starting their families in stables.
This is a very good thing, because stable owners can have their stables heated at taxpayers' expense like that nice Mr.Zahawi who is not a Christian but that's OK because he's a very rich Tory.

Since Fat Dave became the leader of this Christian country and began to show us just how Christian he really is, people who need stables have increased in number by 55%.
The Uber-Christian IDS has been helping these ingrates with his sanctions, charges, and fines, for nearly 6 years - and still they just won't do the Christian thing and stop needing stables.
On top of all of that, they are demanding 3 days-worth of free loaves and fishes from other Christians and hot soup from anyone which the sainted IDS ensures they are entitled to.

The stable-seekers are not proper Christians at all. Oh no. Not like Dave.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Not the first time the pig & fish fancier talked up religion for a PR opportunity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04 ... 32213.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cameron: “Jesus invented the Big Society 2,000 years ago; I just want to see more of it,” he said. “If there are things that are stopping you from doing more, think of me as a giant Dyno-Rod” to clear the drains."

Did he really say that ? :lol:
Not sure whether he sees himself as a hypocrite fake follower of Christ or Sewer Man Sam from the Goon Show.

yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

He does look more like Phil Harding from Time Team than the Son of God.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

He definitely said it.

He started the speech by saying

“The Bible tells us to bear one another’s burdens,” Cameron began. “After the day I’ve had, I’m definitely looking for volunteers."

Poor thing.

http://godandpoliticsuk.org/2014/04/10/ ... the-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot01342.jpg
ScreenShot01342.jpg (117.41 KiB) Viewed 9973 times
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

“The Bible tells us to bear one another’s burdens,” Cameron began. “After the day I’ve had, I’m definitely looking for volunteers."

He's a right winger, the notion that it might mean that he bears the burden of another is alien to him.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Cameron's mealy mouthed hypocrisy is beyond - well, beyond belief. There's nothing remotely Christian about bombing Syria (ensuring more refugees), protecting the bankers and tax avoiders, presiding over a massive rise in poverty, demonising the vulnerable, kissing Murdoch's withered arse - and above all LYING ALL THE TIME.

Good morfernoon by the way.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Joe Halewood has been shouting - ranting perhaps - about the cuts to the LHA (local housing allowance caps for housing benefit) that HindleA's first post refers to - for a while now. This is the first benefit cut that might really impact on pensioners ... and either the government is very stupid and hasn't really clocked that ... or it really doesn't care now the election is over. Halewood is pretty disgusted with the landlords (housing associations) who don't seem to have noticed or care much either.

Several long posts on this here: https://speye.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I don't think any of us have commented yet on the rather disturbing reports re some Muslim travellers from the UK being denied access to the USA. Obviously - we don't know what reasons the USA are going to offer for these refusals - but if, as some people are concerned may be happening, this is the 'Trump policy' seeming to be put in action with no real grounding, specific reason to exclude these individuals - it is an awful development.

This kind of action - and the inevitable publicity given to it - is surely going to increase the likelihood of some individuals feeling very alienated from and by western society ... act as an aid to radicalisation.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rafael Behr ‏@rafaelbehr 21m21 minutes ago
Rafael Behr Retweeted Bob Francis
This is probably where a lot of Lab voters are at - a position not well represented by polarised Corbyn/anti-Corbyn

Bob Francis
‏@rob_francis
@rafaelbehr Hi Rafael, I wrote this blog, if you like it could you tweet the link on? Thanks!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Here's an early Christmas present.
Simon Danczuk ‏@SimonDanczuk 29m29 minutes ago
After writing for one of them for the last 16 weeks, I'm taking time off from a column in The Sun on Sunday or The Mail on Sunday #break
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Here's an early Christmas present.
After writing for one of them for the last 16 weeks, I'm taking time off from a column in The Sun on Sunday or The Mail on Sunday #break
Wish he'd take a permanent break from being an MP.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I don't think any of us have commented yet on the rather disturbing reports re some Muslim travellers from the UK being denied access to the USA. Obviously - we don't know what reasons the USA are going to offer for these refusals - but if, as some people are concerned may be happening, this is the 'Trump policy' seeming to be put in action with no real grounding, specific reason to exclude these individuals - it is an awful development.

This kind of action - and the inevitable publicity given to it - is surely going to increase the likelihood of some individuals feeling very alienated from and by western society ... act as an aid to radicalisation.

The Mail are claiming the man who was taking nine child relatives had some sort of alleged Facebook link at his home address to the Taliban & al Qaeda.

Not sure what as I am not a FBer and don't understand how it all works.
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 24 Dec, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Am off now, not sure whether I'll be back until after Christmas as have things to do.

I'm going a bit Masterchef this year, trying to pep up our vegetarian Christmas meal.
Will be making parmesan tuiles and basil & pea puree & a mushroom reduction to dot on the plate alongside Anthonio Carluccio's mushroom pasta. That's the plan anyway.

Will wish everyone the best for the season, whether you are celebrating or not.

Love especially to those who have lost loved ones this year, or are facing uncertainty about themselves or loved ones. xxxx
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Am off now, not sure whether I'll be back until after Christmas as have things to do.

I'm going a bit Masterchef this year, trying to pep up our vegetarian Christmas meal.
Will be making parmesan tuiles and basil & pea puree & a mushroom reduction to dot on the plate alongside Anthonio Carluccio's mushroom pasta. That's the plan anyway.

Love especially to those who have lost loved ones this year, or are facing uncertainty about themselves or loved ones. xxxx

In case you're not back until after Christmas -

Merry Christmas!
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:Am off now, not sure whether I'll be back until after Christmas as have things to do.

Sounds delicious.And a bit fiddly.
I need to make the mince pies/sausage rolls etc,so for anyone who won't be around later on,have a lovely Christmas.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Joe Halewood is one of my heroes - and he's right more often than not.

RR2 - the government is not so stupid it hasn't clocked this, nor does it care. It is simply doing what many of us predicted it would do.
The government is close to the end of what it can squeeze out of working-age people - we have been saying for 5 long years that when the Tories have finished with the sick, disabled, and unemployed, they'd be after the working poor; and that has happened very quickly.

They won't attack actual pensions (well, not yet, anyway) but they will attack the passported pensioner benefits. They have started with social care, disability support, and now housing help - it's only a matter of time before they crack on with the usual divide-and-rule crapola.
My bet is all manner of bright ideas on things like the Winter Fuel Allowance accompanied by media soundbites about rich pensioners like Mick Jagger getting these things and why it makes sense to means-test everyone etc.etc.

It's only a few years ago that Osborne changed the tax credit rules - there was a tsunami of middle-class moans about how much middle to high earners would lose, articles galore on how couples in Primrose Hill wouldn't be able to use their CTCs for piano lessons any more etc. and nobody spotted that a family could still have a very high income circa £80K PA and still be entitled to claim at least some CTC.

As always, just like the income tax thresholds, it's the poorest who lose the most proportionally - and this will happen to pensioners too. That's my prediction - Osborne will find a way to claw more money back from older people as he's running out of options with the younger ones.

What a lot of people don't realise is the impact Universal Credit will have on older people. Any pensioner living in any household where someone claims UC will have their income (state pension or private) taken into the household calculation for UC - all elements of UC are means-tested on the basis of the total income of the household. There are some exceptions, but not that many.
Couples in which one person is an OAP and the other on UC will suffer - it will be difficult to work out what to do for the best. OAPs can claim HB and if they have no income other than the state pension, they get full HB if in social housing and no bedroom tax charged - but if the other person claims JSA/ESA elements of UC, the HB claim can and will be affected depending on who claims it. If the HB is claimed by the OAP in full, the other will have their mans-tested UC reduced by a corresponding amount.
Irrespective of any cuts to any other benefits/allowances for older people, some pensioners may well find themselves supporting other household members by default. As IDS still hasn't told us what he's doing about free school meals etc. for UC claimants, the expense for such families could be even higher, specially if the UC claimant is self-employed and subject to the UC income "floor" and/or sanctioned.

Personally, I doubt that this is something they haven't thought about. There are no unintended consequences here.

The Tories knew that the bedroom tax would not free up larger properties and they knew it would not save money and they knew it would affect disabled people disproportionately. They knew all that and did it anyway.
The Tories knew that an impact assessment would show that their social security policies would leave people hungry and/or homeless, they knew that people would have to turn to charity. They knew all that and did it anyway.
This is about Osborne's long term economic plan - to privatise social housing by fair means or foul and force LAs to flog off larger homes; to remove state support from our most vulnerable and leave them to sink or swim; and his relentless attacks on poor people, working or not, have cost more than they will ever save. He knows all that and is doing it anyway.

It's deliberate. And the pensioners are next. And OGRPPFGTCC is a Christian.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Today is my favourite day of the entire year.
Nothing else comes close,despite my daughter being up since 3.30 am,grumping away and being on hunger strike.
She ate breakfast though!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Happy Christmas to you all ... whether or not you are going into it full on or trying to maintain a semblance of normality ... enjoy the things you enjoy.

Mr Riots has come out with a stinking cold today - very unusual for him. Fresh grated ginger and hot lemon drink for breakfast. He could barely breathe last night and so sat up on pillows for most of it ... not a good sleep or sign.

We are now going off to buy more fresh ginger - and some brandy - and, worryingly, take one of the dogs to the vets. I am concerned it could be quite serious ... I hope I'm not right.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

To yahyah and all those who won't be here - Happy Christmas, and may your sauces never curdle.....

Thank you for your comments and links - I have been educated and amused in equal measure.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Happy Christmas to you all ... whether or not you are going into it full on or trying to maintain a semblance of normality ... enjoy the things you enjoy.

Mr Riots has come out with a stinking cold today - very unusual for him. Fresh grated ginger and hot lemon drink for breakfast. He could barely breathe last night and so sat up on pillows for most of it ... not a good sleep or sign.

We are now going off to buy more fresh ginger - and some brandy - and, worryingly, take one of the dogs to the vets. I am concerned it could be quite serious ... I hope I'm not right.
I do hope your fears re the dog are unfounded and that Mr Riots rallies.

As for me - I shall be de-fleaing the cat! (Festively, of course.)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Former Tory frontbencher 'was urged to keep quiet about being a secret nudist'
Danny Finkelstein told the unnamed shadow minister it was OK to admit to smoking cannabis but not to being a nudist

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 84811.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For some reason made me imagine a what if loads of Tory front benchers were nudists and came to work in their birthday suits. Would make Jezza's PMQs task that much easier eh ... no need to imagine the ........s naked to calm any nerves. They'd be there in all their non glory.

BTL someone says the said nudist is Bernard Jenkin.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Happy Christmas to you all ... whether or not you are going into it full on or trying to maintain a semblance of normality ... enjoy the things you enjoy.

Rather you than me PF. I get payback for an extended length of time from our 'pain in the arse'. (AKA as 'scuttlebutt')
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Food shop done and put away - wife asleep as she was working last night and tonight - a few presents to wrap later...so all good.

Kids aren't home for Christmas which is a shame - both having to work today and Boxing Day so it's just the two of us for the first time since before the kids were born. Daughter is back on 27th and son at some point in January.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:I don't think any of us have commented yet on the rather disturbing reports re some Muslim travellers from the UK being denied access to the USA. Obviously - we don't know what reasons the USA are going to offer for these refusals - but if, as some people are concerned may be happening, this is the 'Trump policy' seeming to be put in action with no real grounding, specific reason to exclude these individuals - it is an awful development.

The Mail are claiming the man who was taking nine child relatives had some sort of alleged Facebook link at his home address to the Taliban & al Qaeda.

Not sure what as I am not a FBer and don't understand how it all works.
Classic muddying of the waters. Remember when Jean-Charles de Menezes was an Islamic terrorist, and Jermaine Baker was a gangster who was best mates with Mark Duggan.
Good morning all - hope the weather isn't too bad where you all are
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:Cameron's mealy mouthed hypocrisy is beyond - well, beyond belief. There's nothing remotely Christian about bombing Syria (ensuring more refugees), protecting the bankers and tax avoiders, presiding over a massive rise in poverty, demonising the vulnerable, kissing Murdoch's withered arse - and above all LYING ALL THE TIME.

I've never said this before but often wondered.

Belief or lack of it is a very personal and individual thing, but when Blair took us into Iraq he said something about having prayed he was doing the right thing...When he left office, he announced he was converting to Catholicism. Part of me wonders if his conscience was so bad, he needed to be forgiven at the time rather than later?

I can't even imagine Dave doing that, he's so arrogant.

I hate the thought of politicians who cause so much misery, being able to throw it all off for a few prayers.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Merry Christmas Everyone. Just wrapping my presents now.

Thanks for your comments, links and company in what has been a difficult political year, which would have been a whole lot harder to bear without you.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Rather you than me PF. I get payback for an extended length of time from our 'pain in the arse'. (AKA as 'scuttlebutt')
Poor Mr Riots. Sounds as if he has the chesty bug that is going around. Has he had his flu shot?

This horrible weather isn't good for anyone.

Why do things always seem to go wrong on holidays when services are pencil thin.

Hugs and kisses to all of you.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

ohsocynical wrote:
nickyinnorfolk wrote:Cameron's mealy mouthed hypocrisy is beyond - well, beyond belief. There's nothing remotely Christian about bombing Syria (ensuring more refugees), protecting the bankers and tax avoiders, presiding over a massive rise in poverty, demonising the vulnerable, kissing Murdoch's withered arse - and above all LYING ALL THE TIME.

I've never said this before but often wondered.

Belief or lack of it is a very personal and individual thing, but when Blair took us into Iraq he said something about having prayed he was doing the right thing...When he left office, he announced he was converting to Catholicism. Part of me wonders if his conscience was so bad, he needed to be forgiven at the time rather than later?

I can't even imagine Dave doing that, he's so arrogant.

I hate the thought of politicians who cause so much misery, being able to throw it all off for a few prayers.

Here's the master;
Four million jobs were created under Labour, yet 70% of them were filled were by people from overseas because people from this country were not capable or able to take those jobs. "Surely that's a sin, that's the problem," the former Tory leader said.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ncan-smith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot01343.jpg
ScreenShot01343.jpg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 9783 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And lo the Lord instructed me to be a compulsive lying bastard and it came to pass and all was well in my World.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Can't find the quote, but I'm sure I remember Cameron, when in Opposition, saying that he wasn't religious, and he would consider lying about church attendance to get his kids into a church (i.e. "better") school.

On a lighter note, here's a photo of our esteemed Health Secretary. As the original poster says, after all of the female genitalia related rhyming slang it's nice to even up the balance.
Jeremy.jpg
Jeremy.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 9776 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

GetYou wrote:Merry Christmas Everyone. Just wrapping my presents now.

Thanks for your comments, links and company in what has been a difficult political year, which would have been a whole lot harder to bear without you.
Yes, this place has been invaluable at times.

I am likely to be quiet for the next few days, save for a final council by-election of the year to report later today :)

Note to mods - since traffic is likely to be quiet tomorrow, maybe the thread should be merged with the coming weekend?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Warmest Christmas wishes to all who some here, and especially to those who keep me well informed and a part of an outside world I can rarely access these days. My wishes for you include keeping dry, sharing good company and good food, enjoying being with those you love, or if that isnt possible then having time to remember good times with those who cannot be with you, for whatever reason. If Christmas is a difficult time then I wish that there are things that will make it easier, and if you are avoiding it altogether, then enjoy your choices whatever they are. I am having a minimal Christmas myself, my youngest is cooking, he is getting to be a dab hand in thev kitchen.

Ephemerid, your post is painfully accurate, everything in it is on the way, and I am wondering already how it will lplay out for my very small family here, and up and down the land I'm sure many others will have this as an undercurrent to their days. Kudos to Joe Halewood for giving us some time to absorb this before it hits, as he has done for some time.

Rebeca, I hope your roses survived! I have a Daisy myself, she is a furry white ball of mayhem and destruction.

Whatever you wish for you and yours, I hope it will be there for you this holiday time, whether it is r&r, or a big celebration, and whatever shade suits you in between.

Love and light to you all. xxx
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Daughter and nearly son are off to Dover to be with his parents - his dad has late-stage Parkinsons and cancer (currently managed OK) but the kids feel they need to be with them just in case it's their last Christmas together. Dad's getting very frail now.
They were hoping to spend their first Christmas on their own in their new house - but they're doing the right thing, and I'm proud of them.
Show decided to spend half his Winter Fuel Allowance on a very nice M&S hamper for them to enjoy on New Years' Eve, when they'll get a bit of time together before they're back at the grindstone. A lovely gesture he didn't have to make, bless him.

This evening, I am making honey-glazed smoked ham with baked vegetables in a creamy cheese sauce with lots of fresh parsley. Only a bit for me! Tomorrow, we'll have a little roast chicken with roast veggies for him and salad for me. Cake for him, fruit for me.
This low-fat lark is a bit of a challenge at Christmas - no roasties, nuts, puds, mince pies, cakes, cheeses or pates......but I've got frozen mango and passion fruit yogurt - yippee! All very rock'nroll.

As a person who worked nights in hospitals over Christmas for 10 years running, half of them in A&E, I want to thank in advance all of my erstwhile colleagues in the emergency services who will be working their socks off while everyone else has fun.

I hope that our fellow citizens who are roofless this Christmas at least get a bit of shelter and some hot food; and I applaud all the wonderful people of all religious persuasions and none who are doing what they can to help those less fortunate.

It has been a difficult year health-wise, and I do not anticipate things getting much better on that front any time soon. But I have my trusty keyboard and no end of an attitude, and I'll be hounding the bastards who are responsible for the destruction of so much that I hold dear in the year to come - and that includes anyone with the power to effect change who is not doing enough.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Homeless man impaled on metal railing hung upside down for more than an hour before being rescued
The 51-year-old decided to climb over the fence after finding himself locked inside gated grounds on Ainsty Road, Moss Side.

He had visited a food bank earlier in the day and tried to get himself out by climbing the fence when he became stuck

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good afternoon

Lovely weather over here (in Swissiland)...warm and sunny. Will be for the next week but to be honest too warm and little snow in mountains. Just walked dogs and will get into Christmas preparation in a bit (having first drink of the day)

Coming to the UK in a few days to spend some New Year in the Forest of Dean...just hope it doesn't rain too much but to be honest will be a lovely time whatever

Would like to wish everyone on this most marvellous of sites a great Christmas and New Year - here's to hoping that 2016 shows some improvement on 2015 for the ambitions of those of us who care about our fellow humans....even if we disagree with each other on the details sometimes!

Keep well everyone (and pets as well) - and remembering those that are no longer with us...a drink in their memory will be gladly offered

x
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Here's an early Christmas present.
Suddenly the man's Tweeting about events or places in his consituency. Is it finally sinking in he's upsetting those that put him there?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Just as well I decided to nip out last night for those few final presents...it's absolutely tipping it down outside now. Not very seasonal weather although there was a few snowflakes around near Bond Street as I finished up yesterday afternoon.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:And lo the Lord instructed me to be a compulsive lying bastard and it came to pass and all was well in my World.
And Lo, Jesus said: Suffer the little children to come unto me. That bastard IDS doesn't want them.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TobyLatimer wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ncan-smith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot01343.jpg

Thanks for this reminder, Toby - and it's useful to see how things have changed since then.

Quote - "The new universal credit, costed at £2bn for this parliament..." - is now likely to cost 6 times that, possibly more.
Quote - "...ensuring that someone keeps a minimum of 35p in every pound earned" - that's more like 15p now.

At the end of the article, Douglas Alexander (then IDS' shadow and now not an MP) said that if you get these changes wrong you end up with a higher welfare bill..... and Lo! it came to pass......

"It's a sin" - what's sinful is what these bloody people have done to our society. If there is a hell, there's a place for IDS.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
HindleA wrote:And lo the Lord instructed me to be a compulsive lying bastard and it came to pass and all was well in my World.
And Lo, Jesus said: Suffer the little children to come unto me. That bastard IDS doesn't want them.
And Jesus said: It is harder for a rich man to get into heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, and I can't wait to see that f****r Osborne try.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Thu 24 Dec, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I have taken a break from the mounds of baking I've done other years, and it's bloody brilliant. I have a batch of dough for bread rolls on the go, and am baking the ham. Apart from that I'm a free agent. I should have done it years ago....

A happy, peaceful, healthy, Christmas/Yule/Noel, or just a welcome break, to all you lovely people.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Martin Rowson's latest cartoon:
Rowson.jpg
Rowson.jpg (244.61 KiB) Viewed 9667 times
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... gee-crisis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Certainly felt weird in solitary wrapping up presents etc,but I didn't feel alone,as there was a link because of shared buying of presents, think it will be next year that it will hit home.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

No offence to those with religious belief but I have always thought of it as a self delusionary excuse to be a shit,which we all are at times,some more than others.