Christmas Bank Holiday Weekend: 26, 27 & 28th December

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Christmas Bank Holiday Weekend: 26, 27 & 28th December

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning All

Thankfully it's finally stopped raining and it's a clear, calm weather day here in the Pennines. The overnight rain wasn't as bad as it might have been and the level of our river has certainly dropped.

I'm really surprised that it's already after 10 and there seems to be no government statement on the extent of the damage from yesterday's floods, on the travel situation etc. Or am I surprised? After all it's mainly Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire that have been affected and there only 5 million people there :wall:
Heard Truss earlier on Radio 4. She said the same thing that she has said each time there's floods - unprecedented situation, never happened before, couldn't have been expected etc. This time they are using the phrase 'once in a lifetime event'. Except it's not, is it. It's already happened 3 times in a short period of many people's lives.

There is talk of them having to reverse the scale of the Environment dept cuts ... let's see. They're certainly going to be spending more on essential infrastructure repair and rebuilds than they had budgeted for.
Working on the wild side.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Nick Cohen is saying that Cameron may sack IDS once the EU referendum is out of the way, and he no longer has to appease the Tory right. I don't give Cohen any credence with this fanciful cloud cuckoo land stuff, but even if it were to happen there is Priti vacant Patel waiting in the wings, who is just as bad. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by TobyLatimer on Sun 27 Dec, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TobyLatimer wrote:Nick Cohen is saying that Cameron may sack IDS once the EU referendum is out of the way, and he no longer has to appease the Tory right. I son,t give Cohen any credence with this fanciful cloud cuckoo land stuff, but even if it were to happen there is Priti vacant Patel waiting in the wings, who is just as bad. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gawd - I can't bring myself to thank you for that post Toby - even though IDS going should be a relief - the arrival of P Patel is a horrendous thought.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The unelected Freud and IDS show,will continue throughout this Parliament,no sane person thinks otherwise.Of course,this is subject to totally unforseen ,unprecedented circumstances that may happen to anybody.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My lips are a bit chapped,I put on what I that was vaseline,until on passing a mirror some hours later,this strange vision of bright red lipstick smeared face looked back at me.Pucker up.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I didn't know L.Crosby had a franchise of bikini wax shops,apparently he has got a gong for pubic services.I 'll stop while I am behind.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning All

Thankfully it's finally stopped raining and it's a clear, calm weather day here in the Pennines. The overnight rain wasn't as bad as it might have been and the level of our river has certainly dropped.

I'm really surprised that it's already after 10 and there seems to be no government statement on the extent of the damage from yesterday's floods, on the travel situation etc. Or am I surprised? After all it's mainly Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire that have been affected and there only 5 million people there :wall:
Probably gone to church first.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Alan Bennett shares some diary entries in the London Review of Books. I think we can all relate to this.
8 May. A feeling of bereavement in the streets. I shop for supper and unprompted a grey-haired woman in the fish shop bursts out: ‘It means I shall have a Tory government for the rest of my life.’

In the library they say: ‘Good morning, though we’ve just been trying to think what’s good about it.’

I wanted a Labour government so that I could stop thinking about politics, knowing that the nation’s affairs were in the hands of a party which, even if it was often foolish, was at least well-intentioned. Now we have another decade of the self-interested and the self-seeking, ready to sell off what’s left of our liberal institutions and loot the rest to their own advantage. It’s not a government of the nation but a government of half the nation, a true legacy of Mrs Thatcher. Work is the only escape, which fortunately moves along a little.
He also disagrees with the well worn cliche, and frankly lazy thinking, that all politicians are 'the same'.
9 May. My birthday. A nice woman in a leopardskin coat who always speaks wishes me a happy birthday. I say that I wish it was. ‘Why? What’s happened?’ ‘Last Thursday. The election.’ ‘Oh, you don’t want to worry about that. They’re all the same.’ At which point (we are in Shepherd’s grocers) I hear myself as very rarely shouting at the top of my voice. ‘No, they are not all the same. This lot are self-seeking liars, the cabinet included, and we’re landed with them for another five years.’ She tries to calm me down but I tell her not to bother, with other customers peeping round the shelves to see who is making all this din.

She is waiting outside the shop with a cake she has bought me for my birthday and I kind of apologise. But as I walk back home I wonder how long it will be before this crew turn their attention to the BBC.
He likes Corbyn.
12 August. I’m not a member of the Labour Party and so can’t vote. If I could, though, I’d vote for Jeremy Corbyn if only out of hope, the hope that the better part of salvation lies not in electoral calculation but in people’s aspirations.
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n01/alan-benne ... id-in-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

This was also interesting, in the way it illustrates the mythologising of Thatcher and the way her apologists misrepresent those who were/are critical of her and her legacy.
11 October. In Primrose Hill Books I glance through Volume II of Charles Moore’s biography of Margaret Thatcher, noting that it recycles Graham Turner’s mendacious interview with me and other so-called artists and intellectuals in which we are supposed to have dismissed Mrs T. out of snobbery. This was the thesis Turner had come along anxious to prove and bore scant relation to the interview itself, which concentrated on her actual policies. It’s only worth noting because it’s an interview that often gets quoted, e.g. in Noël Annan’s Our Age. I did detest Mrs Thatcher and deplore her legacy. But she was a grocer’s daughter as I am a butcher’s son. Snobbery doesn’t come into it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

It like dusk at the moment here in Bracknell. The wind has dropped and we have a fine misty drizzle. Horrible, horrible weather!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TobyLatimer wrote:Nick Cohen is saying that Cameron may sack IDS once the EU referendum is out of the way, and he no longer has to appease the Tory right. I don't give Cohen any credence with this fanciful cloud cuckoo land stuff, but even if it were to happen there is Priti vacant Patel waiting in the wings, who is just as bad. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cohen is a very strange person. I doubt his prediction will happen - and, of course, it doesn't matter.

The article was closed for comments last time I looked. Just as well, as the food bank denialists were out in force last night.

The Tories won 36.9% of the vote, 50.8% of the seats - and 100% of the power. They will not relinquish that power if they can avoid it.
That's why they are now pratting about with the Lords' power of veto, voter registration, boundary changes, and various other methods which will entrench their hegemony; and as long as they do not face a strong opposition they will succeed.

I still can't decide what the clever Tories - Osborne as an example - are thinking about IDS. It is obvious, to me at least, that the Tories intend to destroy social security; what I can't work out is whether they are using IDS as their useful idiot, knowing he will cause such mayhem that the systems will collapse, or if they truly are as ignorant as he is about the effects of their reforms.
Perhaps they are letting him lay waste to what little state support is left, as it suits their agenda - and if it pleases him to believe that he is reforming what he calls welfare, keeps him sweet and well-behaved on Europe, they won't mind as long as he carries on with the ruination of social security they don't care how much he spends or how many people suffer. He'll stay, IMHO.

These people know that 100,000 children spent Christmas officially homeless; they know that many thousands were under sanctions over Christmas and some may continue to be so for some time; they know that people are using loan sharks to pay for rooms that are not spare and for fines imposed by their failure to find the wherewithal for their council tax; they know all of this.
HindleA calls them fascists - and that's what they are. Authoritarian, draconian, anti-democratic, autocratic militarists to their core. The propaganda they use is reminiscent of other fascist regimes - and it works every bloody time because people want to believe that they are not the untermensch and they will blindly follow whatever nasty divide-and-rule tactics that will prove them to be better.

It's absolutely sickening.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Fascistic intent" not a knee-jerk,nor used lightly;quite the opposite.Regretfully used,but no other description is adequate.The language,the deliberate targeting,continuance of policies which actively harm;differing treatments-family residential carer -non spare room penalised/capped/non residential overwhelmingly paid carer-exempt/builder of annexes-regardless of use-reduction in council tax.Encouragement/discouragement-not based on need but on preferred type,much largesse thrown/severe reduction so based.Full time carers.returning to work enough hours to exempt from cap=success;obvious harmful consequences not seen as.harmful because it is intended.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:It like dusk at the moment here in Bracknell. The wind has dropped and we have a fine misty drizzle. Horrible, horrible weather!
Perfectly springlike here in Gainsborough.
Blue sky,8 degrees,birds singing.Could be march and I feel that I should be looking at daffodils and tulips instead of holly,ivy,mistletoe and christmas tree.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:"Fascistic intent" not a knee-jerk,nor used lightly;quite the opposite.Regretfully used,but no other description is adequate.The language,the deliberate targeting,continuance of policies which actively harm;differing treatments-family residential carer -non spare room penalised/capped/non residential overwhelmingly paid carer-exempt/builder of annexes-regardless of use-reduction in council tax.Encouragement/discouragement-not based on need but on preferred type,much largesse thrown/severe reduction so based.Full time carers.returning to work enough hours to exempt from cap=success;obvious harmful consequences not seen as.harmful because it is intended.
Agreed.

Ostensibly, the alleged ethos behind "welfare reform" was to save money. Most of us knew that wasn't the real reason; and as the increasing spending demonstrates, even if it were the real reason it hasn't worked.
Next up - "behavioural change". In other words, the "tough love" that is apparently necessary to save the poor from their alleged worklessness; again, a lie as it's working people who suffer along with those who cannot work or cannot find any.

Now, they don't care what anyone thinks. One of the most chilling things about the sanctions regime is the governments' own estimation of how the sanctions should be applied to people who have health problems - and those who don't.

The DWP's guidance on sanctions says this -
"It would be usual for a normal healthy adult to suffer some deterioration in their health if they were without: 1. essential items such as food, clothing, heating, and accommodation, or 2. sufficient money to buy essential items for a period of two weeks".
When applying a sanction to a person who has a health problem "The Decision Maker must decide if the health of a person with a medical condition would decline more than a normal healthy adult".

So DWP knows that fit healthy adults are likely to suffer "some" deterioration in their health if a 2-week disallowance is imposed.
Knowing this, they impose a minimum of 4 weeks, an average of 12 weeks, and a maximum of 156 weeks.
What does DWP imagine will happen to people on whom it is deliberately imposing health problems?
Then it goes on to say that if a person is NOT a fit and healthy adult, a DM has to ascertain - with no medical qualifications whatsoever - how much MORE the health of a claimant will deteriorate if sanctioned, already aware that it will do so.

I have been "Godwinned" on many occasions on CIF and elsewhere for this - but I make no apology for saying that this really isn't very different from what went on in Germany before the war. My mother survived it, and told me what it was like.
The same scrounging/skiving propaganda; the same misinformation on what "these people" cost the rest of us; the same isolation of certain sections of society and the removal of their rights, homes, support networks; the breaking up of communities.

You are right, A. I do not think it is hyperbole to call this fascism.
To knowingly and deliberately cause harm as a matter of official government policy is what is happening here.
And that's just one government department.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning , everyone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And whereas,at least some reigning in of outright fascistic intent was at least evident,no such concerns now having been given permission for evil to not only continue but to be made more widespread,homeowners choosing to acquire long term illnessess in lieu of Righteous Citizen of Preferred Status must be discouraged to continue to be able to dare be exist in homes deemed too good for such as them.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

IDS has dictatorial control of rate of interest/applicability/geographical variation,as he sees fit.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

GOVERNMENT SPENDING ON FLOOD DEFENCES IN ENGLAND

Hugh Bayley is former Labour MP for York Central after twenty-two years in Parliament.
He was knighted a year ago. Rachael Helen Maskell is current Labour MP for York Central,
that's an aside. The letter below is correspondence to him from Andrew Dilnot, Chair of
the UK Statistics Authority.
Hugh Bayley MP
House of Commons
LONDON
SW1A 0AA
19 February 2014

Dear Mr Bayley

GOVERNMENT SPENDING ON FLOOD DEFENCES IN ENGLAND

Thank you for your letter to Jil Matheson dated 22 January 2014, regarding figures about
government spending on flood defences in England. I am replying as Chair of the UK Statistics
Authority.

The Statistics Authority has reviewed the figures provided to you in a written answer of 15 July
2013 1, the oral statement to which you refer provided by the Secretary of State for Environment,
Food and Rural Affairs on 9 January 2014 2, and the revised figures provided to you in a written
answer of 15 January 2014 3.

The Statistics Authority’s own analysis of the available figures concurs with the conclusions of the
note prepared for you by officials in the House of Commons, attached to your letter and
subsequently reproduced in a published analytical article 4. We agree with their finding that, as at
January 2014, Government funding for flood defences was expected to be lower in both nominal
and real terms during the current spending period than during the last spending period. Our analysis
also supports the conclusion that the statement “over the current spending review period, more is
being spent
[on flood defences] than ever before5 is supported by the statistics if the comparison is
made in nominal terms and includes external funding, but it is not supported by the statistics if the
comparison is made in real terms, or if external funding is excluded.

Turning to your question about the reasons why the Department for Environment, Food and Rural
Affairs (Defra) revised its estimates of spending on flood defences, the Statistics Authority has
made enquiries with Defra on this point. Defra did not provide us with any further information on
this, beyond the explanation provided to you in the written answer of 15 January 2014.

Defra does not publish figures on flood defence spending as official statistics. There is therefore no
obligation for Defra to comply with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics in relation to these
figures.

However, given the salience of these figures and the public interest in them, it is my view
that it would better serve the public good if Defra were to consider publishing official statistics on
expenditure by the relevant organisations on aspects of flooding and coastal erosion management
in future. I have asked the Authority’s Head of Assessment to explore this matter further with the
Department.

I am copying this reply to Rt. Hon. Owen Paterson MP, the Secretary of State for Environment,
Food and Rural Affairs; Bronwyn Hill CBE, the Permanent Secretary at Defra; Jil Matheson, the
National Statistician; Ed Humpherson, the Authority’s Head of Assessment; and to John Pullinger,
Director General of Information Services at the House of Commons.

Yours sincerely

Sir Andrew Dilnot CBE

http://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/r ... espondence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1 HC Deb, 10 July 2013, c478W
2 HC Deb, 9 January 2014, c440
3 HC Deb, 15 January 2014 , c604W
4 http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN05755.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5 HC Deb, 6 January 2014, c25
(my bold)

The entire exchange is documented and can be found at the website below. People are
mostly doing their jobs conscientiously. Some Labour MPs are better than others, no
question. Information around not necessarily in headlines, what people see and hear
can become compromised, selected, because it's not publicised by mainstream media.

I often forget things when information leaves front pages and I got things to do, like most
people have things to do. Sometimes surviving leaves little time for some critical thinking
and investigation, you know? It's probably not an accident chronic anxiety is cultivated by
keeping regular people in a chronic state of anxiety of varying levels.

http://www.owenboswarva.com/transparenc ... istics.pdf
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:IDS has dictatorial control of rate of interest/applicability/geographical variation,as he sees fit.
Indeed he has.

It won't be long before benefits generally are calculated to reflect cost of living in certain areas - Osborne is already planning to allow local authorities to determine pay for nurses and other public servants.

We have already lost tens of thousands of police officers, firefighters, nurses, doctors, teachers, armed forces personnel, and other people who are the glue that holds society together, providing for our needs now and the health and education for our future.
We will lose more - cuts and policies designed to shrink the public sector have led to massive redundancies, and we are facing serious shortages of key workers. The private sector will never be able to supply the services we are used to - and pay for.

Joni Mitchell was right - you don't know what you've got till it's gone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"...Government funding for flood defences was expected to be lower in both nominal and real terms
during the current spending period than during the last spending period. ...the statement “over the
current spending review period, more is being spent
[on flood defences] than ever before” is supported
by the statistics if the comparison is made in nominal terms and includes external funding, but it is not
supported by the statistics if the comparison is made in real terms, or if external funding is excluded."

- from, Government spending on flood defences in England
Andrew Dilnot
UK Statistics Authority
19 February 2014

For godssake, cJA, post essentials, not dissertations...DEFRA don't publish how much is spent on flood
defences 'cause they don't got to, Dilnot thinks they should though. Dilnot wants government to agree
to tell the truth.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
HindleA wrote:IDS has dictatorial control of rate of interest/applicability/geographical variation,as he sees fit.
Indeed he has.

It won't be long before benefits generally are calculated to reflect cost of living in certain areas - Osborne is already planning to allow local authorities to determine pay for nurses and other public servants.

We have already lost tens of thousands of police officers, firefighters, nurses, doctors, teachers, armed forces personnel, and other people who are the glue that holds society together, providing for our needs now and the health and education for our future.
We will lose more - cuts and policies designed to shrink the public sector have led to massive redundancies, and we are facing serious shortages of key workers. The private sector will never be able to supply the services we are used to - and pay for.

Joni Mitchell was right - you don't know what you've got till it's gone.
On Twitter someone has just said she took cups of tea to the firemen in a flooded area. They said they had 30 men working flat out. When they have more cuts next year, they will be down to 10 men.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Citizen JA - the live blog over at the G has more on this.

John Vidal (G's environment editor) says that the government released ts' capital spending figures for flooding just before Christmas.
They show a drop in spending of 30% since 2010.

Although there has been a recent increase after the floods last year, this is the record - in 2010/11, £364.9 Million spent on flood defences; in 2011/12 it was £260.7 Million; by 2014/15 it was £228 Million, later supplemented by £125 Million in "exceptional funding".

The government insist that it is spending £2.3 Billion on this - about £500 Million a year over the term of the last Parliament - but according to FullFact, only half of that money has actually been spent. So where's the rest of it?
The government's own published figures show that there is a shortfall in spending for each year of the coalition of about £200 Million. So where has all that money gone?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ed BallsVerified account
‏@edballs Ed Balls Retweeted Norwich City FC
My earliest ambition was to play for #NCFC - next best thing is to become Chairman. Great honour & privilege.

Norwich City FCVerified account
‏@NorwichCityFC
BREAKING | Former Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls joins #NCFC as Chairman of the Board: http://norw.ch/EdBalls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

June Turnbull ‏@socialist1959 22 hrs22 hours ago Durham, England

@ChaabanRabih @broncoskolar Especially after his "whatever it takes - money no object" speech at the Somerset Levels last year.
Which reminded me. Have extra precautions been taken for that area? Or will they be back to where they started from if we get a bit more rain down south?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Three people were killed and another was critically injured after a car struck pedestrians in
Doncaster late on Boxing Day, police have said.

A 24-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. South
Yorkshire police appealed for witnesses to the crash, which involved a blue Volvo S60.
"

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... -doncaster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm at a low ebb...people walking getting killed by a motorist...enough, stop it, now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:Citizen JA - the live blog over at the G has more on this.

John Vidal (G's environment editor) says that the government released ts' capital spending figures for flooding just before Christmas.
They show a drop in spending of 30% since 2010.

Although there has been a recent increase after the floods last year, this is the record - in 2010/11, £364.9 Million spent on flood defences; in 2011/12 it was £260.7 Million; by 2014/15 it was £228 Million, later supplemented by £125 Million in "exceptional funding".

The government insist that it is spending £2.3 Billion on this - about £500 Million a year over the term of the last Parliament - but according to FullFact, only half of that money has actually been spent. So where's the rest of it?
The government's own published figures show that there is a shortfall in spending for each year of the coalition of about £200 Million. So where has all that money gone?
(my bold)

Unknown, my friend, I haven't the first idea what this government do with public money.
Or don't do. I've been all over looking for information. In 2008, the EA published this
almost 600-page assessment here:
Environment Agency
Irwell Catchment Flood Management Plan - Final Report 2008

http://www.salford.gov.uk/corestrategy/ ... t-Plan.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's the blueprint for what should have happened, a fine piece of informative research,
in my opinion.

We're going to visit family in Bury tomorrow. I hope. Would anyone like a cup of tea?
I'll put the kettle on. I'm exhausted.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ohso has asked me how Mr Riots and the dog are ... so I'm going to let you all know - as we're a bit slack on here today. (Will wish for an injection of pzazz for FTN in the New Year I think).

Mr Riots is proper poorly. On top of his stinking cold he now has a ricked back as a result of sleeping, or not sleeping, in semi upright and uncomfortable positions to try and keep his airways open. He can barely straighten up and is shuffling around pathetically. We have done, or attempted to do, some gentle relaxation / floorwork to try and get his back out of spasm - very tough going as he couldn't even put his lower back down on the floor so we had to use cushions and other supports. He is not a man that takes painkillers but I might suggest a couple later on. (Good thing I have a supply of ear plugs.)

The dog ... hmmmm ... we're worried. We're just trying to keep her as quiet as possible for the next couple of days before we can take her in for an X ray. She is very subdued - it's just not normal for her to hug our heels on a walk - she's usually racing ahead. The slightest bump or touch of her back end makes her yelp and not want to move. Why do these things always happen over Christmas or another holiday period when vets and other services aren't open as usual?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@ rebeccariots2
My dear friend, please give my love to Mr riots and your canines.
I'm sorry she's showing those symptoms and hope you all are better soon.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

UK flooding: Government rejected warnings of high flood risk from own advisers

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 87481.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just for once wouldn't it be a treat to read that this bunch of carpet baggers got something right.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 87481.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just for once wouldn't it be a treat to read that this bunch of carpet baggers got something right.
It's all false economy with them. That's how they keep pretending they are fixing the economy ... until it comes back to bite them on the arse ... but they'll carry on with the pretence regardless of actual cost. Their other economy fixing measure is to sell off our national silver (assets). Anything they can claim ownership of and stick a price tag on is vulnerable ... at risk of being flogged.

They keep getting away with it.
Vordy
Backbencher

Post by Vordy »

Ephemerid said,

"I have been "Godwinned" on many occasions on CIF and elsewhere for this - but I make no apology for saying that this really isn't very different from what went on in Germany before the war. My mother survived it, and told me what it was like.
The same scrounging/skiving propaganda; the same misinformation on what "these people" cost the rest of us; the same isolation of certain sections of society and the removal of their rights, homes, support networks; the breaking up of communities."

Does this ring true,

Sometimes it only takes a little time for even the most hateful ideas to catch on. With enough power and money‹especially money--the most heinous ideas can become "acceptable" and appear "respectable" to some. Such are the ideas of white male racial superiority and the implied right to power over all others. This includes the additional implied right to "phase out" of existence others who are held to be inferior. These ideas and their underlying rationale were the basis of Hitler's National Socialism. Though Allied Forces put an end to Hitler and his Third Reich over fifty years ago, ideas of Nazism are still very much alive. They are still wreaking pain, suffering, and death on those whom the Powerful decide are unfit to live.

Please read the rest of this article here,its about the American right but may as well be here.

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/ha ... merica.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No need for intros,I know you all,well nearly all,Vordy AKA Vordermont.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Martin Rowson ‏@MartinRowson 5h5 hours ago
Hey everyone! Let's all play at being @David_Cameron! First go & have A MASSIVE STINKNG SHIT & then give ALL THE TURDS knighthoods! Fun, eh?

Let's still play at being @David_Cameron! Just go & do AN ENORMOUS, ENDLESS PISS, toss some bog roll in the bowl & shout "Flood Defence!!!"

Let's STILL play @David_Cameron! The Queen catches you twiddling yer winkie so what do you say? "Back off! WE'RE HAVING A MEETING OF COBRA!"
He really doesn't hold back. Must need that amount of outrage energy to do such fantastic spot-on 'toons.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Hey everyone! Let's all play at being @David_Cameron! First go & have A MASSIVE STINKNG SHIT & then give ALL THE TURDS knighthoods! Fun, eh?

Let's still play at being @David_Cameron! Just go & do AN ENORMOUS, ENDLESS PISS, toss some bog roll in the bowl & shout "Flood Defence!!!"

Let's STILL play @David_Cameron! The Queen catches you twiddling yer winkie so what do you say? "Back off! WE'RE HAVING A MEETING OF COBRA!"
He really doesn't hold back. Must need that amount of outrage energy to do such fantastic spot-on 'toons.
A while back he said his BTL posts on his cartoon threads rarely make it past the mods. :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Seems a good follow on from Vordy's post.
Trumps Wall of Vomit.jpg
Trumps Wall of Vomit.jpg (62.02 KiB) Viewed 7055 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

It's all false economy with them. That's how they keep pretending they are fixing the economy ... until it comes back to bite them on the arse ... but they'll carry on with the pretence regardless of actual cost. Their other economy fixing measure is to sell off our national silver (assets). Anything they can claim ownership of and stick a price tag on is vulnerable ... at risk of being flogged.

They keep getting away with it.
I wonder how they treat their family money and possesions?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Hello Vordy. Good to see you here.

*waves*
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Hello there, Vordy! Good to see you - and yes, that article certainly does ring true.

Something else that's bothered me a bit lately....Cameron's "christianity". Lots of that in the good old USA......

Ms.Riots - this is Nurse Ephie speaking!

Mr.Riots should be taking regular aspirin, paracetamol, or ibuprofen - not just because they are analgesics, but because they are anti-pyretics and anti-inflammatories - ie. thy keep the core temperature down and help to suppress the tissue irritation caused by infection.
Colds and flu leave people prone to opportunistic secondary infection. That's why it makes sense to use the over-the-counter medicines we are so lucky to have cheap access to - and keeping symptoms under control is the best way to prevent complications.
It's probably the coughing that has exacerbated the back pain. It is not good for people to be coughing incessantly - on top of the inflammation of the airways it causes, the amount of sheer physical energy required is massive. People often jar their backs if they cough a lot.

If I were there, I'd bully him into taking regular analgesia as above; he should be steaming every few hours to loosen the secretions and keep them moving. Boiling water with Vick or Olbas if you have it; herbs like rosemary are good too - 10 minutes inhaling steam works wonders.
This also helps to avoid opportunistic infections.
Recent research has shown that the virulence and severity of cold/flu symptoms can be reduced by as much as 50% if people get steaming as soon as they feel a cold coming on; it also helps to take large doses of Vitamin C (it can't harm you - it's water-soluble, so any excess is pee'd out)
He needs rest. And possibly some alcohol....

I do not intend to patronise you, so I hope you can take this advice in the spirit intended.

Having COPD, I am supposed to have antibiotics if I get a cold. As I already have resistance to many antibiotics, I don't always inform the GP when I get a cold - I dose up on VitC, aspirin, and steam. A lot. I've had 6 colds in the last 2 years - antibiotics necessary only once.

Being a recovering alky, I don't get to have the brandy.......hot toddies just aren't the same......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Welcome, Vordy
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Just looking through old FullFacts.

Came across this:
“Men must prove a woman said Yes under tough new rape rules”

Daily Telegraph, 29 January 2015
Which wasn't true at all, and could have been checked as not true by phoning the Crown Prosecution Service. The defendant doesn't have to prove anything.

How unpleasant do you have to be run that story?

https://fullfact.org/factcheck/law/men_ ... _yes-38719" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a shitrag.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Thank you ephemerid. I already had my bullying session mentally booked for later on ... I will add steaming to the debate. He'll probably do steaming ... it's his kind of thing. It's the painkillers / analgesia that he's got the devil's own objection to - only time I've known him take any is when he broke some vertebrae in his back - go figure, as I'm sure Mr Ohso would say. And that was only to convince the physios that he could leave hospital under his own leg power.

We match each other in specific kinds of will power and stubborness.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Crosby knighthood - I feel angry about it and I hope it doesn't happen.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Thank you ephemerid. I already had my bullying session mentally booked for later on ... I will add steaming to the debate. He'll probably do steaming ... it's his kind of thing. It's the painkillers / analgesia that he's got the devil's own objection to - only time I've known him take any is when he broke some vertebrae in his back - go figure, as I'm sure Mr Ohso would say. And that was only to convince the physios that he could leave hospital under his own leg power.

Difficult.

My dad was the same - it wasn't until I explained to him in serious detail how aspirin/paracetamol actually work that he realised he was being a bit silly. He was a great one for "natural" remedies. Relented when he found out salicylic acid originally came from tree bark.....

Show was a total nightmare before he came home from hospital, and I had to threaten him severely to make him take the medicines he'd been prescribed. In the end, his pain was so bad he took 'em like a lamb.

Drugs work for a reason. No, lots of reasons. We are lucky to have them. Perhaps Mr.Riots might respond to the idea that by treating his cold now, he could avoid a prescription of real proper doctor big pharma drugs (and the hideousness of the infection he's heading for...)

Tell him you know an ex-A&E sister who has lost count of the people (most often men, tall ones) who slipped discs just because they were coughing. Truly. (They took the ruddy painkillers then)

Good luck. :hug:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Thank you ephemerid. I already had my bullying session mentally booked for later on ... I will add steaming to the debate. He'll probably do steaming ... it's his kind of thing. It's the painkillers / analgesia that he's got the devil's own objection to - only time I've known him take any is when he broke some vertebrae in his back - go figure, as I'm sure Mr Ohso would say. And that was only to convince the physios that he could leave hospital under his own leg power.

Difficult.

My dad was the same - it wasn't until I explained to him in serious detail how aspirin/paracetamol actually work that he realised he was being a bit silly. He was a great one for "natural" remedies. Relented when he found out salicylic acid originally came from tree bark.....

Show was a total nightmare before he came home from hospital, and I had to threaten him severely to make him take the medicines he'd been prescribed. In the end, his pain was so bad he took 'em like a lamb.

Drugs work for a reason. No, lots of reasons. We are lucky to have them. Perhaps Mr.Riots might respond to the idea that by treating his cold now, he could avoid a prescription of real proper doctor big pharma drugs (and the hideousness of the infection he's heading for...)

Tell him you know an ex-A&E sister who has lost count of the people (most often men, tall ones) who slipped discs just because they were coughing. Truly. (They took the ruddy painkillers then)

Good luck. :hug:
I can verify that. I had hurt my back and had muscle spasm. Couldn't straighten up. Then I sneezed and put a disc right out. I couldn't even lift my arms. Luckily we had a chiropractor a couple of doors away from us. Mr Ohso carried me there but it still took three weeks before I could go back to work.

Mr Riots needs whatever will relax him right down. Ephie's dead right.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:Crosby knighthood - I feel angry about it and I hope it doesn't happen.
I imagine someone else wasn't happy about it either given that the news was leaked.

I wonder how many of our new Regional Schools Commissioners, academy CEOs and academy HTs will be in the awards list.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Crosby knighthood - I feel angry about it and I hope it doesn't happen.
I imagine someone else wasn't happy about it either given that the news was leaked.

I wonder how many of our new Regional Schools Commissioners, academy CEOs and academy HTs will be in the awards list.

Oooh, now let me think --- A lot?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Just back from visiting friends near Tadcaster. The Town Centre is still underwater and the Bridge is closed. The scenes from York are distressing and the Ouse is still rising.

If you want to get a sense of the real scale of the flooding look at the top clip here - from Cawood. About 25 seconds in you can make out Cawood Bridge, an almost submerged road to nowhere.

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2015-1 ... er-a-mile/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Components of net housing supply, England 2006-07 to 2014-15
Net additional dwellings by local authority district, England 2004-05 to 2014-15
Net additions component flows by local authority district, England 2012-13 to 2014-15

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ive-tables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh, I see. To avoid letting the public know how few houses are started and completed in the UK during this unholy
Tory government, they've decided to change what's counted. Please find what I used to be able to count on giving
something like accurate information regarding how many houses get build in the UK below.

House building: permanent dwellings completed, by tenure and country

'net additions component flows'? Oh, please. What's that? Nothing but cover-up and fake it.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Just watching the BBC news and haven't heard a single word about the Environment Agency unlike in previous years when Chris Smith was the chair...funny that.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

He's gone to bed with two ibuprofen.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Rancid hypocrites and thieves;a far better agreed scheme -"Savings Gateway" all set to go,done away with June 2010.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fee- ... s-launched" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fee-free bank accounts launched
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 28 Dec, 2015 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.