Thursday 31st December 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Re: Thursday 31st December 2015

Post by TobyLatimer »

Even given his alleged drink problem, in his position he should be able to recognise if a young girl has boundary problems. To encourage and respond in a flirtatious manner on someone who may be vulnerable (which he *might* not be aware of) although not illegal could be classed as borderline grooming.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Thank you HindleA. That raised a chuckle from me - not an easy thing to do given the weather and my cold ridden state.

Pies are the answer to everything. Wrap up a few more.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TobyLatimer wrote:Even given his alleged drink problem, in his position he should be able to recognise if a young girl has boundary problems. To encourage and respond in a flirtatious manner on someone who may be vulnerable (which he *might* not be aware of) although not illegal could be classed as borderline grooming.
I hope you don't think my post saying what he has done isn't illegal was in any way condoning it ... far from it. It was said with a sigh about the reality of the situation - the police investigated it apparently and that was the conclusion - and I'm supposing that conclusion is part of the reason why the story is being run now.

I agree with you. I just meant that the push would need to come from his local constituency - for them to clearly be saying he's not considered a worthy representative - and it seems some of them are now doing that.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

For anyone feeling down or generally out of sorts:

[youtube]BeFAo4gK1D0[/youtube]

Can I humbly suggest that if you don't feel like dancing when you listen to that then you don't have a pulse :D

Happy New Year one & all - except for Tories & their apologists.
For them, I'm reminded of the old Irish curse my late granny used to come out with when her dander was up:
"May the curse of Mary Murphy and her nine blind illegitimate children chase you so far over the hills of Hell that God himself couldn't find you with a Radio Telescope!"
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Thinking of campaigning for a more equitable distributions of birthdays,just got Xmas out of the way and now 4 birthdays ,in the first week of January ,do they think I am made of pies money.
May was my immediate family's main birthday month. 29th Ap. Then May 2nd, 11th, 17th, 24th, 28th, with mum and dad's wedding anniversay 29th.

Sadly shrunk down now.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Mason ‏@ChrisMasonBBC 3m3 minutes ago
BREAKING: Labour suspend Simon Danczuk
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Simon Danczuk ‏@SimonDanczuk 1m1 minute ago
I'm more saddened that this episode could overshadow the important work we're doing to help Rochdale & that's where my focus lies

Simon Danczuk ‏@SimonDanczuk 3m3 minutes ago
My behaviour was inappropriate & I apologise unreservedly to everyone I've let down. I was stupid & there's no fool like an old fool
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Simon Danczuk@s party membership has been suspended (BBC news).
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I was stupid & there's no fool like an old fool

Mealy mouthed platitudes. Works fine until you're caught out.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:Even given his alleged drink problem, in his position he should be able to recognise if a young girl has boundary problems. To encourage and respond in a flirtatious manner on someone who may be vulnerable (which he *might* not be aware of) although not illegal could be classed as borderline grooming.
I hope you don't think my post saying what he has done isn't illegal was in any way condoning it ... far from it. It was said with a sigh about the reality of the situation - the police investigated it apparently and that was the conclusion - and I'm supposing that conclusion is part of the reason why the story is being run now.

I agree with you. I just meant that the push would need to come from his local constituency - for them to clearly be saying he's not considered a worthy representative - and it seems some of them are now doing that.
Not at all rr2 x ;)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I'm more saddened that this episode could overshadow the important work we're doing to help Rochdale & that's where my focus lies

My behaviour was inappropriate & I apologise unreservedly to everyone I've let down. I was stupid & there's no fool like an old fool
A friend of mine detests the word "inappropriate" - just use "wrong".
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Whoops! And mine was full of typos, too (my excuse being that someone knocked on the front door at the psychological moment).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

danesclose wrote:For anyone feeling down or generally out of sorts:

[youtube]BeFAo4gK1D0[/youtube]

Can I humbly suggest that if you don't feel like dancing when you listen to that then you don't have a pulse :D

Happy New Year one & all - except for Tories & their apologists.
For them, I'm reminded of the old Irish curse my late granny used to come out with when her dander was up:
"May the curse of Mary Murphy and her nine blind illegitimate children chase you so far over the hills of Hell that God himself couldn't find you with a Radio Telescope!"
Thank you danesclose. I've just gyrated around the sitting room to that. Definitely alive and almost kicking.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/emily-t ... mg00000067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the Demise of This Failed Programme Austerity's Silver Lining?

In last month's Spending Review, by way of a barely-noticed announcement which was not mentioned in Osborne's speech but was tucked away on page 89 of the blue book, the government quietly performed a major u-turn on compulsory work placements. This part of the 'Help to Work' scheme will now, therefore, come to an early and ignominious end next year.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Whoops! And mine was full of typos, too (my excuse being that someone knocked on the front door at the psychological moment).
Isn't every moment a psychological moment? (Today's philosophical teaser).
Vordy
Backbencher

Post by Vordy »

refitman wrote:
yahyah wrote:Greetings earthlings. Hope you all had a good Christmas.

Have missed you all, and your posts but we've had a rather difficult time chez YahYah.

2. My laptop died. It stayed dead after trying various fixes, memory reseating, BIOS stuff.
Reluctantly ordered a new one from John Lewis....but today I just idly pressed the start button on the dead one and it is working and I am using it now ! Am loathe to switch it off again.
It's seven and a half years old, we have no reliable local computer repair shop to take it to.

If anyone has any idea what it may be - when I pressed the on/off power switch the screen stayed black, and it issued four bleeps. The power light kept flashing.

Ideally if I can fix this problem myself, I'd rather return the new laptop to John Lewis.
Don't know if after I shut it down it will prove impossible to get back on again.
The period of it not working was 5 days, with one intermittent splutter at life.
Battery, power input all working as the battery is charging and all the programmes, security updates etc are working.
4 beeps means either bad memory or graphics card problems (there is a list here: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), but can depend on manufacturer. You can buy replacement memory but probably not a graphics card for a laptop.
Free memory diagnostic tools here YaYa.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofth ... rytest.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No problem with your reply Refitman.We all help in our own way.

TFN
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some more than others.

In reply to RR2
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 31 Dec, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Guardian ‏@guardian 37m37 minutes ago
Peter Mandelson: Labour is a broad church – Jeremy Corbyn is turning it into a narrow sect bound for the abyss http://trib.al/VxsUH6X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How many more of these are there going to be?

Labour is still a bloody broad church. All the same members - plus more - are here in our branch. If Mandelson and co stopped shouting like this - we'd be able to get on and function much more easily going into campaigning for the May elections.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

.Probably in a minority,but he does make some valid points.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 1m1 minute ago
BREAK Jeremy Corbyn denies Simon Danczuk's suspension is linked to his criticism of Labour leader: “It is today's incident, nothing else."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There is a sense of "you have had your chance",move over it is our turn,locally here at least some disquiet by long term members,having to be persuaded to remain,or at least be as active,a certain amount of mutual suspicion that has to be overcome.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:There is a sense of "you have had your chance",move over it is our turn,locally here at least some disquiet by long term members,having to be persuaded to remain,or at least be as active,a certain amount of mutual suspicion that has to be overcome.
I really hope that mutual suspicion can be overcome. Members here certainly didn't all support Corbyn for leader - but I've since been to meetings and not found any bad feeling - and have been out canvassing with a mix of members some of whom supported Yvette Cooper and Andy Burnham, some for Corbyn - no sense of anyone trying to muscle others out. Some of the long term members here are really grateful for the influx of new members. They are in their late 70s and early 80s and have needed to be able to step back a bit from very active campaigning. The wonderful long term member who was driving us around to Fishguard areas where we needed to get the vote out till the bitter end on May 7th was grey in the face and almost tottering with tiredness by the end of it. It took him and his wife a long time to recover (not helped by the dire result of course).
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Sorry had to dash after logging in but had just popped by to wish everyone a happy and prosperous new year. Prosper in my book also means flourish, not just material gains, so good luck and good health to you all. Speaking for myself, I too have had better days but let's not go there and just say that I've been taking things steady and avoiding much news; ignorance can be bliss. Not that I intend to stay that way, inaction or complacency under Tory governance is inexcusable.

Ha, complacency? Incompetence and complacency are the definition of Cameron's and Osborne's governance. If you wish security for yourself, your family and your country then no more excuses, inter or within party squabbling, do everything to oppose the Tory hegemony and its tiny majority.

Happy New Year.

@yahyah

If you've ever had checksum errors at boot up or an incorrect clock then I would definitely suggest changing your CMOS battery. I'd do that anyway on a seven and a half year old machine before anything else. Good luck.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@utopiandreams

Happy New Year!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

HindleA wrote:.Probably in a minority,but he does make some valid points.
He might make some, but he undermines himself with:
Tony Blair appointed Clare Short, Michael Meacher and Chris Mullin, among many others who were hardly New Labour. This is how Labour’s broad church works.
Corbyn's shadow cabinet is fairly broad spectrum. In fact the only reason it isn't wider is that some of the "moderates" refused the invitation.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@RR2

After much deliberation I voted for Chris Williamson for Labour's candidate for Derbyshire Police and Crime Commissioner.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@refitman I agree
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Iain Dale ‏@IainDale 1h1 hour ago
BLOGPOST: My Predictions for 2016 http://iaindale.com/posts/2015/12/31/my ... s-for-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

This is excellent IMHO

http://www.thatericalper.com/2015/08/16 ... ncredible/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I see some comments BTL on the Danczuk sex texting story are suggesting it's a smear job by Corbyn ... :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... k-you.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ewwweeee, a smear job, rr2? Surely they're looking in the wrong direction, not that I'll be taking a look.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
BLOGPOST: My Predictions for 2016 http://iaindale.com/posts/2015/12/31/my ... s-for-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
1. The EU Referendum will be held in July.
Really?

That would assume that Cameron can, very early next year - like next month even - claim that he's got everything he needs in the way of concessions from the EU.

Besides council elections are in May.

Can't see that happening.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:This is excellent IMHO

http://www.thatericalper.com/2015/08/16 ... ncredible/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolutely. 'The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal.'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW I embrace the "waves" a sort of painful joy,difficult to explain.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

yahyah wrote:It's that revolting notion that he's 'horny' so some female should relieve him of his urge. Yukkety yuk.

Some of us would tell him to f off, or to go and have a wank on his own, but for a youngster who may have suffered damage to her sexual boundaries from previous abuse, it may not be easy.
I've no idea of his drinking habits, yahyah, and quite frankly am not interested. Nevertheless his actions may deserve a rebranding of the term 'tosspot'.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

No 6 is interesting. I think, logically speaking, as the SNP have shifted left to occupy Labour's ground, it's only natural that the Tories will become the main opposition. Of course, it's nowhere near as simple as that. I'd be very interested in the views of anyone with more knowledge than me of how likely the SNP can keep hold of nationalist votes further to the right on the political spectrum when they're shifting so much to the left to cover off Labour.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

MP Jess Phillips "He's a tosser if this is true" http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/la ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
1. The EU Referendum will be held in July.
Really?

That would assume that Cameron can, very early next year - like next month even - claim that he's got everything he needs in the way of concessions from the EU.

Besides council elections are in May.

Can't see that happening.
Neither can I. I think it's probably part of Cameron's election build up to get more people voting Tory in May. Saw what seemed to be an informed tweet / ref last week saying that there has to be a 10 month period between the official declaration / signing off re the referendum and it actually happening - which clearly rules out anything before next October. Unless Cameron is going to flout due process ... which he certainly seems capable of doing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://paullewismoney.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -down.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thursday, 31 December 2015
PENSION SECRECY SHUTTERS PULLED DOWN
The Department for Work and Pensions has pulled down the shutters on Freedom of Information requests about the new state pension and the letters written to women whose pension age was postponed twice.

The DWP had been providing a lot of useful data which I used in two extensive blogposts (see links at the end of this post). But follow-up applications for further information have been refused. On the face of it they are simple enough requests.

How many men and women will get no pension under the new state pension rules? REFUSED
How many letters written to women about the rise in their state pension age were returned undelivered? REFUSED
What did the DWP do to contact the women whose letters were returned undelivered? REFUSED

These decisions to hide information rather than reveal it raise the question - what is so uncomfortable in the truth that the Department wants to bury it?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Robin Flavell

Damon Albarn OBE
Steph Houghton MBE
Simon Danczuk P45
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Martin Rowson
...we clearly need massive reform, paring it down to 2 gongs only: you either get Official Local Hero Medal for good guys, & the pricks...
...can all become Commanders of the Unsung National Treasures. Obvious innit?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:@Robin Flavell

Damon Albarn OBE
Steph Houghton MBE
Simon Danczuk P45
Except it isn't though. Even if he doesn't get readmitted to Labour he can carry on as MP for Rochdale until the next election.

That power to recall thingummy that was promised by Cameron went the way of so many of his pledges.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

And the 'important work' point smacks, very slightly, of the 'but he did so much for charity' defence.
I found that tweet pretty nauseating so soon after the criticism of him for whooping it up in the pub and tweeting while Rochdale was flooding. He's got some pretty sarcastic comments on twitter along the lines of they're sure there will be others able to help out with the flood recovery etc.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

And manages to make his 'apology' ageist as well. F%*&ing %&$£hole he is.
He also seems to imply he was 'fooled' by the girl, as if it was her who had the upper hand - which is patently not the case.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

New year, same old story as FCA lets bankers off hook by dropping review

Michael White (Guardian)
A rather good article by - wait for it - Michael White.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/blo ... ct-dropped
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:
New year, same old story as FCA lets bankers off hook by dropping review

Michael White (Guardian)
A rather good article by - wait for it - Veteran Commentator Michael White.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/blo ... ct-dropped" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FIFY
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Re Iain Dale's predictions. I think Labour will do better than he expects in the May council elections. The received wisdom before the Oldham election was that Labour were going to do relatively poorly. Not sure about Scotland - it depends on whether the Scottish public, who are usually pretty savvy, begin to see through the SNP.

I'd like to think Trump won't win the Republican candidacy, although at the moment he's ahead of his rivals in the polls. The bigwigs in the Republican Party realise the man's a fool, but perhaps they'll think he'll be easy to manipulate. I just hope the American public see sense and don't elect him. The Democrats aren't that great either, but they're still preferable.
Last edited by nickyinnorfolk on Thu 31 Dec, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

... A friend of Danczuk told The Huffington Post UK: "Simon has been very foolish and he deserves a kicking off the media. But I think it's a bit harsh to suspend him. Since when did the Labour Party take its lead from the Sun?

"In the history of Parliamentary sex scandals, this doesn't even merit a footnote. He's never met this woman and he's never spoken to her. The police say there's no case to answer and it's just a moment of Twitter weakness at a time when he was at a low ebb and probably drinking too much.

"Other MPs have done far worse. Angus MacNeil admitted a three in a bed romp with two teenage girls and got promoted to chair the Environment and Climate Change Select Committee."...
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/12 ... 1451570888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:Re Iain Dale's predictions. I think Labour will do better than he expects in the May council elections. The received wisdom before the Oldham election was that Labour were going to do relatively poorly. Not sure about Scotland - it depends on whether the Scottish public, who are usually pretty savvy, begin to see through the SNP.

I'd like to think Trump won't win the Republican candidacy, although at the moment he's ahead of his rivals in the polls. The bigwigs in the Republican Party realise the man's a fool, but perhaps they'll think he'll be easy to manipulate. I just hope the American public see sense and don't elect him. Not that the Democrats are much better ....
If Trump wins the candidacy - my nightmares will be full of scenes of Trump and Osborne or Trump and Boris Johnson engaging in the special relationship. How have we got here - that this can even be a possibility?
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
... A friend of Danczuk told The Huffington Post UK: "Simon has been very foolish and he deserves a kicking off the media. But I think it's a bit harsh to suspend him. Since when did the Labour Party take its lead from the Sun?

"In the history of Parliamentary sex scandals, this doesn't even merit a footnote. He's never met this woman and he's never spoken to her. The police say there's no case to answer and it's just a moment of Twitter weakness at a time when he was at a low ebb and probably drinking too much.

"Other MPs have done far worse. Angus MacNeil admitted a three in a bed romp with two teenage girls and got promoted to chair the Environment and Climate Change Select Committee."...
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/12 ... 1451570888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Simon's pal doesn't acknowledge is that this business is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Danczuk has demonstrated over the past few years that not only is he a bit of a sleaze bag, but also that he's far happier attacking Labour rather than the Tories, and he'd rather canoodle with his latest squeeze than do anything for his own community, whose well paid public servant he is supposed to be, plus he appears to have a problem with alcohol ...