Friday 1st January 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
frightful_oik
Whip

Friday 1st January 2016

Post by frightful_oik »

Ayup meducks. Happy New Year. Time to give the tories some grief again.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 1st January 2016

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Happy New Year!

Heading up to Cambridge in a bit for lunch with daughter, brother and his partner.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Have a great time.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... five-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

London rough sleepers double in five years
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all from Riots Towers. I heartily endorse oiky's message - let's take it to the Tories. My number one political wish is we still have Labour in government in Wales. My number 2 wish is that Sadiq Khan is elected as London Mayor. I think that would be a game changer - wish I was in London so I could vote for him.

Now ... the papers are full of rail stuff - staggering fare rises - Corbyn calling for renationalisation. Here's a story that isn't on the front pages but I wish it was - shows just how hard the fight will be on key policies when the power and money is so inbuilt for those whose interests are threatened by any change.
Train operators agree new rules on communication after 'political bias' row
Department for Transport draws up guidelines with Rail Delivery Group after complaints from Labour over promoting privatisation

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... The RDG was set up as a cross-industry alliance of train operators and Network Rail in 2011 to find ways of making the railways run more efficiently. But it has become the main lobbying voice against public ownership of rail services – a key Labour commitment since Jeremy Corbyn’s election as leader.

Philip Rutnam, the DfT’s permanent secretary, intervened after Lilian Greenwood, the shadow transport secretary, raised concerns over the RDG’s use of public funding to promote rail privatisation. Half the RDG’s costs are now met by Network Rail, a publicly owned and funded body. Network Rail’s contributions were ratcheted up to £1.3m in 2014-15 from £240,000 the year before, to allow the group to take charge of drawing up and communicating policy for the entire rail industry – which included a series of emails to journalists arguing that Britain’s railways had prospered since privatisation in 1994...
Working on the wild side.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Happy New Year everyone. xx
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/31/girl-asks ... gn=Twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Girl asks internet to remove ‘that disabled thing’ from selfie – internet responds brilliantly
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

HindleA wrote:http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/31/girl-asks ... gn=Twitter

Girl asks internet to remove ‘that disabled thing’ from selfie – internet responds brilliantly

So disabled people are ignorant morons too ? Crock of shit imo.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

“For me, there are no new year’s resolutions, just the resolve to continue delivering what we promised in our manifesto,” said the prime minister, naming low home ownership, poverty, poor social mobility and extremism as his four priorities in 2016. "

Cameron's NY massage.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@HindleA

There's the rub?
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Vordy
Backbencher

Post by Vordy »

Happy New Year to one and all.Lets hope its a good one,without any fear.As John Lennon once sang in Imagine.Below is another article on Propaganda.The Big Lie.

http://gadfly.igc.org/politics/lies/biglie.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Everyone still with us? Everyone okay, then? Sound off if you need help. Loudly, repeatedly.
My spouse returned home during a lull in the storms and I'm grateful he's safe.
Happy New Year.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Son and granddaughter are a bit angry this morning. Neighbours were letting off fireworks non-stop from 7-11 yesterday evening.

This morning all the cars that were parked up last night, are covered in spent gunpowder and bits of firework wrapping, plus left over rockets.

We've never found that before, even on Nov 5th. But then in twelve years we've never had 4 solid hours of fireworks going off right behind our place.

Edited to add. A few months ago, granddaughter treated herself to a brand new Mini and is still in love with it. :D
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 01 Jan, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Massive fire at Dubai skyscraper interrupts New Year's Eve fireworks

“I couldn’t believe how fast it actually happened. And you know what?
There was actually no fire alarm. I could hear no fire alarm going off.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/d ... -fireworks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dubai hotel fire.jpg
dubai hotel fire.jpg (69.64 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
What a surreal image
Dubai is a surreal place
Contemporary cities created, completed within a short period of time out of
empty expanses remind me of places in Margaret Atwood's, Oryx and Crake.
The people living and working there are real.
No one was killed, according to the article.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/j ... able-homes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

London flats costing up to £1m outsell more affordable homes
Thousands more expensive flats sold in 2015 than those costing around £300,000, despite fears for first-time buyers
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RobertSnozers wrote:
HindleA wrote:“For me, there are no new year’s resolutions, just the resolve to continue delivering what we promised in our manifesto,” said the prime minister, naming low home ownership, poverty, poor social mobility and extremism as his four priorities in 2016. "

Cameron's NY massage.
Makes a difference from War, Famine, Conquest and Death.
Is it different?

I'm happy to hear your voice, RobertSnozers. I miss you when you're away.
I think I've heard read you somewhere else and welcome your writing there too.

Where's the comma supposed to go, please?
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

HindleA wrote:“For me, there are no new year’s resolutions, just the resolve to continue delivering what we promised in our manifesto,” said the prime minister, naming low home ownership, poverty, poor social mobility and extremism as his four priorities in 2016. "

Cameron's NY massage.
And he's going to make it his business to see that there's far more of it in 2016.
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Cameron's NY massage.
Dang. He's not in New York. If any place can subdue him and his party, New York is one of them.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm happy you're here, mbc1955
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Sun front page today calls for Danczuk to go ... here's the Zelo Street write up.
Simon Danczuk - Time To Go
http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... to-go.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... Sonia Rossington, the first Mrs Danczuk, has complained “My God what is he doing, he has a daughter not much younger than the girl he wants to 'spank', and his 18-year-old son has enough problems at university due to sharing the Danczuk name. Why can he not think of his children and the devastating effect his selfish antics have on them? It has been one thing after another after another, will it ever end?”

Meanwhile, Mick Coates, one of the “Rochdale Seven” expelled by the Labour Party in 2009 for expressing disquiet over the incident where Karen Burke, as she then was, was dumped at Alicante airport with no money to get back to the UK, has told Rochdale Online “The Rochdale Labour Party ought to pass a vote of no confidence because they have got to get rid of him now. If they don’t, then they won’t be helping themselves”...
I have wondered about how awful it probably is for his kids. Be a blessing for them if he keeps quiet from now on.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Thank you, Citizen. It's a new year, let's see what happens.
The truth ferret speaks!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.conservativehome.com/platfor ... -work.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthew Oakley: Five ways to help one million more disabled people into work

"Modernising the welfare state: Finally, with continued pressure on the public finances, more emphasis will continue to be placed on personal responsibility. Personally, I don’t see much more scope to increase conditionality or the role of sanctions. Instead, a bold Government could transform the welfare state to reinvigorate the contributory principle – the idea that families are supported by the contributions they make. "An obvious place to make progress here would be to support individuals or firms to enter income protection schemes"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Hard to grasp the warped thinking behind such misanthropic bullshit,I sincerely hope I am not alone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The reneging of the very basic of a State's responsibility towards citizens and then positing it as some kind of lacking of the sick/disabled.The Government of course has systematically smashed what remains of the contributory principle.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Fascistic intent with a smiling face.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"...reinvigorate the contributory principle – the idea that families are supported by the contributions they make."

We already do. VAT and PAYE form the largest amount of government tax take. It's a regressive tax structure.
Those with the smallest incomes pay the greatest proportion of their income towards tax this way.

"An obvious place to make progress here would be to support individuals or firms to enter income protection schemes"

You what, ConservativeHome?
What the devil is an, 'income protection scheme'?
I thought it's called, 'National Insurance'?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Fascistic intent with a smiling face.
Like the smiles of Hannibal Lecter or Jack Torrance.
I just scared myself.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted,just because.
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 01 Jan, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Labour could stop cooperating with Tories in protest at party funding cuts

Party officials consider withholding assistance on parliamentary business unless government scraps plan to slash Short money for opposition parties

Party officials confirmed they would consider halting collusion with the Tories over parliamentary business unless the government considers rowing back on plans to cut “Short money” announced in the autumn statement. (Guardian - my emphasis)
Collusion? Oh, dear. That's a poignant misuse of the English language. Obviously, the Guardian's New Year resolution wasn't to brush up on their English language skills . . . .

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... nding-cuts
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Don't you go all 'poignant' on us PF. That's not the way to start 2016. :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 12m12 minutes ago
"For a new year, clean hands." @KateVotesLabour leaves the Labour Party " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
This is Kate Godfrey - who was disappointed (bit of an understatement there maybe) that she wasn't selected to fight Oldham West. It reads as pretty solipsistic (see PF I can do big words too) - and rather hyperbolic (if she really has begged hundreds of friends not to leave Labour I will take that big word back).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

And to counteract that last post linking to the woe is me piece here's John Harris with what I think is a timely and necessary contribution.
When are Labour party ‘moderates’ going to do more than just moan?
John Harris
Until these self-styled keepers of the flame recognise their own failings and accept that Jeremy Corbyn won, tensions in the party will be unresolved

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
"For a new year, clean hands." @KateVotesLabour leaves the Labour Party " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
This is Kate Godfrey - who was disappointed (bit of an understatement there maybe) that she wasn't selected to fight Oldham West. It reads as pretty solipsistic (see PF I can do big words too) - and rather hyperbolic (if she really has begged hundreds of friends not to leave Labour I will take that big word back).

And what a weird ramble that was. (Not your post, I hasten to add!)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Yes - a perfect description of it. And it pretty much makes John Harris's points about self-styled moderates go 'kerching'.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Party officials confirmed they would consider halting collusion with the Tories over parliamentary business
unless the government considers rowing back on plans to cut “Short money” announced in the autumn
statement. (Guardian - my emphasis)
It's been altered.
"Party officials confirmed they would consider halting cooperation with the Tories over parliamentary business
unless the government considers rowing back on plans to cut “Short money” announced in the autumn statement."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... nding-cuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)

Insane - collusion or cooperation - for the Guardian to use either of these words describing Labour's response to Tory
policy of halting Short money to opposition parties is insane propaganda.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
Party officials confirmed they would consider halting collusion with the Tories over parliamentary business
unless the government considers rowing back on plans to cut “Short money” announced in the autumn
statement. (Guardian - my emphasis)
It's been altered.
"Party officials confirmed they would consider halting cooperation with the Tories over parliamentary business
unless the government considers rowing back on plans to cut “Short money” announced in the autumn statement."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... nding-cuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)

Insane - collusion or cooperation - for the Guardian to use either of these words describing Labour's response to Tory
policy of halting Short money to opposition parties is insane propaganda.
So somebody at the Guardian must have received a dictionary for Christmas!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Our local CLP newsletter has just arrived. We are invited to a buffet and talk - 'Back To The Future Of Socialism - An Evening With Peter Hain'.

Hmmm - wonder if that's one to go to?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

'Outside of Westminster, we have smaller, and better Gods.'
- Kate Godfry

"A jeremiad is a long literary work, usually in prose, but sometimes in verse, in which the author
bitterly laments the state of society and its morals in a serious tone of sustained invective, and
always contains a prophecy of society's imminent downfall."

- http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/jeremiad

This is really happening. This isn't a story. It should be a story. Please stop me if I start believing
and publishing everything I think.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

There's one Labour party and we've all got different ideas, some will work together,
others likely not, it's a political party, not a religion. Everyone be cool. Have a mince
pie. Breathe. Go to the Peter Hain get together if you can make it.

Anyone for coffee? How many cream & sugar?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Very grim - but essential IMO - reading from Joe Halewood.
(Social?) Housing in 2016
What will 2016 bring for social housing? Here are some thoughts of what will begin from April next year which will bring THE most radical changes to the social housing model ever seen.

https://speye.wordpress.com/2015/12/31/ ... g-in-2016/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If homelessness has already doubled since Cameron took office ... Halewood's predictions might prove to be horribly accurate.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Brother visiting from Brussels,bemoaning the reaction there,which are having deleterious effect on their daily lives,"self fullfilling hysteria" ever heightening ,practice sessions on what to do if a gun man enters your school,if not shit scared, their children certainly are now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Neither Mandleson or Blair have a constituency, counsel seat or elected position.
They both may very well be Labour party members. I'm real tired of these two
getting quoted and paid attention to in the press as though they lead the party.
They don't.
"Blair’s latest contribution to the Labour debate was a flatly strange article in the
Spectator, sprinkled with the usual gnomic formulations (eg “true progressives are
always the modernisers”). That piece was followed by a slightly better one by his
former speechwriter and strategist Peter Hyman, now the headteacher of a free
school."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ooo...sound compelling, both works - real cutting edge stuff.

I've already written my approbation of Tristram Hunt's speech given to the Fabian Society
less than a month ago. It would've been decent to link the speech itself instead of another
Guardian article describing it. Tristram Hunt quotes Corbyn in his speech and I'm satisfied
with his support of the Labour leader and party.

http://www.tristramhunt.com/labours_moral_mission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:Brother visiting from Brussels,bemoaning the reaction there,which are having deleterious effect on their daily lives,"self fullfilling hysteria" ever heightening ,practice sessions on what to do if a gun man enters your school,if not shit scared, their children certainly are now.
Fairly soon after the Paris attack we encountered a couple on the beach while out walking our dogs ... the woman had an out of control dog which was running around in an almost demented manner with several little kids getting scared as she ambled towards it with no attempt to reassure people or sort the situation. As she got close to us (we were holding our dogs still until some order was restored) she obviously felt the need to say something ... which was 'just got back from London - terrible, everyone is scared on the streets, scared to go out ...' We didn't respond. (I had just come back from visiting my sister and been walking the streets with a lot of other people seemingly unconcerned).

We tried to avoid meeting this couple again but as we came around a corner to the stepping stones we all have to go over - there they were with the man beating the dog on its back and another couple with dogs screaming at him to stop. The man turned around to threaten and abuse them ...

I'm not quite sure why I'm telling you this in response to your post ... but somehow it reminded me of this deeply unsettling experience. The horrible cycle of fear, aggression, violence and so on.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The hard-headed case for the UK to stay in the EU
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ea8a0a6c-a415 ... 4f346.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a subtext suggesting Cameron's renegotiation is a waste of time, as if we didn't know.
a decision to quit would have momentous implications both for Britain and for the rest of the EU. So it would be a serious mistake to allow the argument to turn on the outcome of the renegotiation. Useful though they would be — for the EU as a whole as well as the UK — the reforms sought by London are inconsequential compared with the central choice.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

Firstly, a happy new year to all.
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Who is Kate Godfrey and why should I care what a self-promoting ex-Labour member, who describes herself as 'never successful' and has a huge chip on her shoulder because she really, really really wants to be an MP so should be an MP and will throw teddy out of the pram unless she's somehow made an MP incoherently sulks on the internet about?
I'm getting tired of calming down....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:And to counteract that last post linking to the woe is me piece here's John Harris with what I think is a timely and necessary contribution.
When are Labour party ‘moderates’ going to do more than just moan?
John Harris
Until these self-styled keepers of the flame recognise their own failings and accept that Jeremy Corbyn won, tensions in the party will be unresolved

I'd turn that around. What exactly is Corbyn doing that's so different to previous Labour leaders who, apparently, were useless and basically Tories?

I don't think Corbyn's an extreme leader or anything like that. But I said at the time, I was underwhelmed by his election platform. It was "more tax from people who aren't like you" and a slightly better fiscal policy than Ed Balls. And an eccentric policy that would tear up the successful structure of the Bank.

The main advantage, and it's important, seems to be organizational, as seen in the Oldham West by-election.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TR'sGhost wrote:Firstly, a happy new year to all.
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Who is Kate Godfrey and why should I care what a self-promoting ex-Labour member, who describes herself as 'never successful' and has a huge chip on her shoulder because she really, really really wants to be an MP so should be an MP and will throw teddy out of the pram unless she's somehow made an MP incoherently sulks on the internet about?
She wanted to be Stafford's MP. In my opinion, she's behaving unprofessionally and I wouldn't have done it.
No way would I have published that. It can be just as cathartic to write stuff down then torch it, you know?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The DfE- as rude as under Gove.

http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2 ... d-academy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The NUT and Local Schools Network’s analysis is utter rubbish. Obviously local authority schools appear to improve quicker, because their very worst schools are taken out of their control and turned into academies.
Henry Stewart specifically says he's compared schools of similar standard.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The DfE- as rude as under Gove.

http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2 ... d-academy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The NUT and Local Schools Network’s analysis is utter rubbish. Obviously local authority schools appear to improve quicker, because their very worst schools are taken out of their control and turned into academies.
Henry Stewart specifically says he's compared schools of similar standard.
Dear lordy ... is that a direct quote Tubby? Seriously rude if so.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Apparently so.

Unnamed spokesperson. Could be gobshite non-teaching teacher Robert Peale, I suppose.