Saturday 2 & Sunday 3 January 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Saturday 2 & Sunday 3 January 2016

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, torrential rain continues here in Stoke.
Last edited by refitman on Sat 02 Jan, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: Changed to weekend thread
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: 2 January 2016 - Saturday

Post by HindleA »

Morning.
Have been amusing myself in responding to some of the comments,btl on this;-
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... n-birthday" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fines for dropping litter to rise to £150

Apparently,there is an underclass of deliberate litter louts as opposed to Righteous Citizens who "inadvertently litter"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

CJA have just entered the half marathon in June,starting/ending in Hanley.Have done it a few times,now,at decreasing speed;there is a walk option ,but I am not quite there yet as I maintain a staggering Zatopek-like gait,albeit in slow motion.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/j ... passengers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oyster card glitch means free travel for London passengers

Brother going to the Arsenal v Newcastle match,guessing it will be sorted by then.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:CJA have just entered the half marathon in June,starting/ending in Hanley.Have done it a few times,now,at decreasing speed;there is a walk option ,but I am not quite there yet as I maintain a staggering Zatopek-like gait,albeit in slow motion.
Have you? I should like to be there to supply you with bananas and a light ale, to keep your electrolytes balanced.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 2 & Sunday 3 January 2016

Post by ohsocynical »

Tom London ‏@TomLondon6 2 hrs2 hours ago

"I ran the Daily Express purely for propaganda purposes & with no other purpose" - Lord Beaverbrook to Royal Commission on the Press, 1948
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning.

Here's Cameron's New Year's gift to his mob ... and another two fingers up to the country at large.
Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 10h10 hours ago
'No Tory left behind' pledge amid boundary change fear | via @Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -fear.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … @peterdominiczak @benrileysmith
Paul Flynn ‏@PaulFlynnMP 12m12 minutes ago
Honours degraded, lobbyists favoured, Cameron now revives Gerrymandeing of new constituency boundaries to advantage sitting Tory MPs
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Disappearing Fox - A New Year's Hunting Mystery?
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tom-qui ... _hp_ref=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Yorkshire Post opinion / editorial.
Tom Richmond: The PM must answer this county’s cry for help over floods

Read more: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opi ... z3w5DhcgS2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... And the third was David Cameron’s fleeting visit to York to view the damage. Carefully stage-managed to avoid the indignant flooding victims, I never thought I would live to see the day when the Prime Minister was so reluctant, even afraid, to meet his people. Shame on him – this complacent contempt was only surpassed by his spineless decision not to chair the following morning’s Cobra emergency response committee to put in place lessons supposedly learned from his visit. This no-show left him guilty of the charge of gesture politics.

Mr Cameron is not alone – visits by Environment Secretary Liz Truss and Communities Secretary Greg Clark – have been similarly sterile and smack of a Cabinet in collective denial about neglecting the North’s needs. What happened here would not have been allowed to occur in London...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

He is very good when it comes to pointing at things, though!
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Morning.
Have been amusing myself in responding to some of the comments,btl on this;-
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... n-birthday" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fines for dropping litter to rise to £150

Apparently,there is an underclass of deliberate litter louts as opposed to Righteous Citizens who "inadvertently litter"
I think the "inadvertent" litterers are people who put litter in the bin, only for it to blow out again as they walk away. The new army of privately outsourced littering officials will have targets to maximise profits, they won't be giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.

I'd rather council tax money was spent on streetcleaners who also empty bins and clear away dirt and dead leaves, than on litter police. Just another example of warped priorities. Cash strapped councils will be relying on people breaking laws to raise any money at all if we continue down this path of freezing council tax and replacing it with on the spot fines. With no recourse to any kind of hearing or justice, we become more of a police state every day. And what if littering goes down, will it leave a hole in the budget?

Not to mention the same amount of litter ends up at the dump, regardless of the route taken to get there. The absence of the Libdems, who were on the right track by charging for bags, is very evident in this particular policy.

Excuse my ramble. Such a simple little article, yet it seems to touch a nerve with me about everything that is wrong with the Tory approach to society.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I never thought I would live to see the day when the Prime Minister was so reluctant, even afraid, to meet his people.
The above quote is taken from the Yorkshire Post (see rebeccariots2's post, above).

Although critical of the floodpointer, it does rather (to me, anyway) make him sound like an ill-advised monarch who could yet do something for "his people".
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:He is very good when it comes to pointing at things, though!
Yes - he has indeed taken gesture politics to its most literal level.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:He is very good when it comes to pointing at things, though!
Yes - he has indeed taken gesture politics to its most literal level.
Ha!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

But that sums up the rather deferential way some natural Tory types regard "their leaders", PF - and helps explain Cameron's continued relative popularity. Depressingly.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21200058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Litter fines are being used as a cash cow by councils employing "private police forces", a BBC investigation suggests.
The number of litter fines issued by English councils has rocketed from 727 in 1997 to 63,883 last year.
Now Inside Out has discovered three councils in London effectively incentivise XFor, a private company, to issue as many fines as possible.
http://m.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/103 ... istration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A CONTROVERSIAL enforcement company which hands out fines for littering and dog fouling has gone into administration.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... t-65986022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Penalties set by councils for offenders range from £50 to £80 but the Department for Communities and Local Government will recommend higher fixed penalties of up to £150, according to the Daily Telegraph. The minimum fine is set to double from £50 to £100, it added.
The bit in bold at the end says it all about this government and whose interests they are working in. Shame they don't have the same dedication to keeping private care homes in business. That's one area where increasing revenue flow to the private sector would actually be beneficial.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I'm going to sound like Mrs Umbrage of Tunbridge now but ...

Mr Riots and I have been thoroughly depressed by the uncollected dog shit that has appeared all along our beach and dune paths over the Christmas break here. Sorry but as this is not the norm at other times we can only put it down to visitors not bloody bothering - and it's disgusting. Who goes away to a beautiful place and treats it like that? Who literally doesn't give a shit for the little kids playing in the sand?

There - rant about inconsiderate immigrant dog owners over. I will go and make myself a cup of tea and simmer down. Perhaps I should have a new moniker 'The Female Online'?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Commons Select Committee
Defra funding cuts must not put flood protection at risk

15 December 2015

The Environment Food and Rural Affairs Committee warns that the reduction in the
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs' (Defra's) budgets over the next
four years must not affect vital flood protection work. The MPs want Defra to produce
a plan showing how it will deliver vital services in the face of further cuts which will
reduce administration budgets by over a quarter & overall
resource budgets by 15%.

Defra's funding plan relies on the Government being able to secure £600 million from
external contributions – of which only £250 million has so far been secured, with only
£61 million from the private sector.

Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee Chair, Neil Parish MP:

"We are pleased that the Government is committed to a £2.3 billion programme
for flood defences over this Parliament. But this relies heavily on
investment from the
private sector, which has not
yet been guaranteed."

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... hed-15-16/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

... Many in the parliamentary party will be looking to the deputy leader, Tom Watson, to act as a link between the leader’s office and the parliamentary party over the next week. He told the Guardian on Tuesday he knew nothing about a reshuffle.

“I have not been made aware that a reshuffle is due,” he said. “What I have seen is that there has been much speculation over Christmas.

“Any reshuffle is for the leader of the Labour party. It is a very lonely job. I’m sure that if there is going to be one he will let me know. Leaders have to pick the team they want and I will make my views clear.”...
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... peculation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is anyone clearer than I am what the role of the Deputy Leader mostly is? I found myself thinking yesterday that we have heard very little from Tom Watson since he was elected and then wondering what he is doing ... and if there are set things he should be doing or each Deputy kind of makes it their own bag? I had sort of imagined that the Deputy would be playing a bigger, more obvious role in being a bridge with the membership and PLP as well - getting communication and campaigning strategies in line and functioning. What do others perceive the role as?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... orbyn.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the ex wife could be on the payroll now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I'm going to sound like Mrs Umbrage of Tunbridge now but ...

Mr Riots and I have been thoroughly depressed by the uncollected dog shit that has appeared all along our beach and dune paths over the Christmas break here. Sorry but as this is not the norm at other times we can only put it down to visitors not bloody bothering - and it's disgusting. Who goes away to a beautiful place and treats it like that? Who literally doesn't give a shit for the little kids playing in the sand?

There - rant about inconsiderate immigrant dog owners over. I will go and make myself a cup of tea and simmer down. Perhaps I should have a new moniker 'The Female Online'?
If your post was bizarre and disproportionate, I'd agree light-heartedly about a new moniker.
Your post indicates a serious health issue due to canine excrement left on the beach, so, no.
Is there a notification board and some kind of repository for clean bags to collect excrement
and deposit used bags anywhere? I've seen the like in some parks but I've no idea if this is
feasible for beaches.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:I'm going to sound like Mrs Umbrage of Tunbridge now but ...

If your post was bizarre and disproportionate, I'd agree light-heartedly about a new moniker.
Your post indicates a serious health issue due to canine excrement left on the beach, so, no.
Is there a notification board and some kind of repository for clean bags to collect excrement
and deposit used bags anywhere? I've seen the like in some parks but I've no idea if this is
feasible for beaches.
We've got bins and notices. There's no excuse. Responsible people who find themselves without a bag will ask other dog owners they see who usually have a spare and are happy to give it to them.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Neil Coyle ‏@coyleneil 1h1 hour ago
Tories apparently told seats are safe as Cameron's uber-political boundary review attempts to hand 2020 to successor https://www.politicshome.com/party-poli ... ge%20plans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

feasible for beaches.
We've got bins and notices. There's no excuse. Responsible people who find themselves without a bag will ask other dog owners they see who usually have a spare and are happy to give it to them.
Our council gives away free bags, and has recently invested in a dog poo bin at the end of a footpath near the school where there had been a particular problem with dog mess and I think such measures are preferable but when such supportive measures are in place and problems persist, fines do appear to be the only alternative. Still, maximum fines for dog fouling are already 1,000 if taken to court. Like fines for speeding, they can bring in income, but are they really effective at prevention, which is what people want? It's a tricky issue. One thing's for sure, an increase in fines for littering and dog fouling are only going to happen in highly populated areas. They are never going to be commercially viable in rural areas, which is why I object to this approach. We all deserve to be free of litter and dog poo, only solutions that work in all areas are genuine solutions, as far as I'm concerned.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Neil Coyle ‏@coyleneil 1h1 hour ago
Tories apparently told seats are safe as Cameron's uber-political boundary review attempts to hand 2020 to successor https://www.politicshome.com/party-poli ... ge%20plans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Downing Street plans to draw the boundary lines to ensure every already sitting that wishes to fight for re-election can do so.
And there was me thinking that we had a Boundary Commission that dealt with that kind of thing.

:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I still don't see how they can actually do this if the plan remains to cut 650 MPs to 600.

Some sitting Tories will be retiring, but what if their local parties don't actually want a "seatless" MP foisted on them from elsewhere?

No, its more empty promises from Cameron. And ignores that some Tories object to this on grounds of principle as well as self interest - they see it as further strengthening the executive at the expense of the legislature (especially since there seem to be no plans to reduce the "payroll" vote when the HoC size is cut)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Matthew Scott ‏@Barristerblog 14h14 hours ago
Simon #Danczuk has lost the moral high ground but he probably won't be prosecuted. http://barristerblogger.com/2016/01/01/ ... gh-ground/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
You can ignore the intro stuff on this barristerblog piece if you want - although some of it is very funny (I have to admit to finding it so) - but I found the later information about the various offences and definitions especially re soliciting photographs etc very interesting. It's a developing area of law ... much I didn't know about.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Defra’s budget for day-to-day spending is to be cut by 15% over the next four years.
This will be difficult to achieve since total budget reductions of about a quarter during
the last Parliament have already identified easily achievable savings and removed the
more obvious inefficiencies across the Defra family."

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... /44303.htm
From the same December 2015 committee report. Last five years Defra's budget was reduced by
a quarter (25%) and government want 15% more cut over the next four years. Tory government
have the audacity to point at a member of the opposition and call him a security threat.
"But [Dave Cameron] rejected claims that flood barrier funding had effectively been cut by
20 per cent due to reductions in local government spending announced in last month’s
spending review.

That’s not true,” he told Sky News as he visited volunteers at an emergency sandbagging
centre in York. “We’ve spent more in the last Parliament than in the previous parliament
and we’re going to spend even more in this Parliament.
"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 88241.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
His government's dedicated decimation of public services is bearing more fruit and he dodges, hides
and makes up stories. I don't know what options are available to correct this misguided course Tory
government continue to take.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Clancy ‏@johnclancy 2h2 hours ago
I've joined leaders of Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds &Newcastle to call for PM not to axe lifetime tenancies http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ci ... ns-7104083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Good for them. There's a vote re this in HoC next week.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

feasible for beaches.
Then you're right, there's no excuse. Let's send the litter patrol to the beaches.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I still don't see how they can actually do this if the plan remains to cut 650 MPs to 600.

Some sitting Tories will be retiring, but what if their local parties don't actually want a "seatless" MP foisted on them from elsewhere?

No, its more empty promises from Cameron. And ignores that some Tories object to this on grounds of principle as well as self interest - they see it as further strengthening the executive at the expense of the legislature (especially since there seem to be no plans to reduce the "payroll" vote when the HoC size is cut)
Well quite - this and the numbers of new peers that he's created means that his "cutting the cost of politics" is just empty rhetoric.

With a rising population, why would you cut the number of MPs anyway? And no, the answer isn't "because all our laws are made in Brussels..."
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... orbyn.html

Looks like the ex wife could be on the payroll now.
What a bizarre editorial. So does the Sun regret acting in a way that might have finished the career or its most convenient useful idiot? I can see how they siezed on it to deflect from the Letwin story and possibly to take attention from Corbyn's new year message. Or could it even be that they deliberately pulled the plug on Danczuk to make a martyr of him?

It's an odd and contradictory relationship the Sun has with Danczuk. He can be relied on to attack the sitting leader (yay!). He seems to have a weakness for younger women (boo!). He campaigns against paedos (yay!). He campaigns against Tory paedos (boo!). His wife takes lots of cleavage-showing selfies (yay!). He's finished with the selfie queen and seems be be developing a weakness for MUCH younger women (boo!)...
Given that they've been sitting on this story for a while, it's not too much of stretch for them to publish now and when he gets sacked, they can blame Corbyn since "they've always wanted him out".

They've had their moneys-worth out of him and now they can use his demise.

Win-win
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:Commons Select Committee
Defra funding cuts must not put flood protection at risk

15 December 2015

The Environment Food and Rural Affairs Committee warns that the reduction in the
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs' (Defra's) budgets over the next
four years must not affect vital flood protection work. The MPs want Defra to produce
a plan showing how it will deliver vital services in the face of further cuts which will
reduce administration budgets by over a quarter & overall
resource budgets by 15%.

Defra's funding plan relies on the Government being able to secure £600 million from
external contributions – of which only £250 million has so far been secured, with only
£61 million from the private sector.

Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee Chair, Neil Parish MP:

"We are pleased that the Government is committed to a £2.3 billion programme
for flood defences over this Parliament. But this relies heavily on
investment from the
private sector, which has not
yet been guaranteed."

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... hed-15-16/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good spot.

That's a relatively modest admin cut- Transport has 37%.

But admin budgets surely aren't that big compared with capital stuff. Is it worth going so hard at them? Surely they wouldn't if there weren't the arbitrary surplus target?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I still don't see how they can actually do this if the plan remains to cut 650 MPs to 600.

Well quite - this and the numbers of new peers that he's created means that his "cutting the cost of politics" is just empty rhetoric.

With a rising population, why would you cut the number of MPs anyway? And no, the answer isn't "because all our laws are made in Brussels..."
Cameron will be pleased that Richard Shepherd retired. He'd have voted against reducing the size of the Commons without reducing the size of the government.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

‏@adrianshort

"Clean for the Queen" campaign funded by a charity that illegally donated £900K to the Tory party:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfield_ ... Foundation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

One of the worst environmental disasters of the decade is currently underway in a quiet community 25 miles northwest of Los Angeles. Putrid, methane-rich natural gas has been spewing into the air at an estimated rate of nearly 1,300 metric tons per day for over two months. Experts are calling it the climate version of the BP oil spill, and the leak isn’t going to be contained anytime soon.

http://gizmodo.com/las-gas-leak-disaste ... socialflow
Oh God. Happy New Year!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... el-wilshaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ofsted clashes with ministers over extent of teacher shortages
Ofsted chief Sir Michael Wilshaw says ‘isolated, coastal and disadvantaged areas’ have serious problem while Labour accuses government of hiding evidence of recruitment problems
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... el-wilshaw
Ofsted clashes with ministers over extent of teacher shortages
Ofsted chief Sir Michael Wilshaw says ‘isolated, coastal and disadvantaged areas’ have serious problem while Labour accuses government of hiding evidence of recruitment problems
Just reading that. Some of the comments BTL from teachers about staff turnover and vacancies are pretty shocking.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

What to say about this for an illustration ....? Is it just me that finds that pretty nasty?
Sadiq Khan as drawn by the Spectator.jpg
Sadiq Khan as drawn by the Spectator.jpg (60.4 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/i-wo ... adiq-khan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Don't read BTL on that Spectator article on Sadiq Khan, Ohso. It's scary. You have been warned.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Made a comment,couldn't resist.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see Norwich won again...Ed Balls must be thinking that this chairman's job is easy...
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Don't read BTL on that Spectator article on Sadiq Khan, Ohso. It's scary. You have been warned.
Wow! And I thought BTL on the Kipper was paranoid and mental. :roll:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I see Norwich won again...Ed Balls must be thinking that this chairman's job is easy...
Am I right in thinking 'Cameron's team' (clears throat) has had a defeat today?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

West Villa Utd both won and lost.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Brother will be pleased with cough Arsenal win,he is a season ticket holder living in Brussels,has managed to get to two games #more money than sense.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Last Arsenal game I saw was the rearranged Liverpool game at Anfield in '89 when they had to win 2-0 to win the League,which they did with a Michael Thomas late goal,we both went ,I bought the tickets at a fiver each for the Kop.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:Last Arsenal game I saw was the rearranged Liverpool game at Anfield in '89 when they had to win 2-0 to win the League,which they did with a Michael Thomas late goal,we both went ,I bought the tickets at a fiver each for the Kop.
A game still remembered fondly by all Man Utd fans :)

"ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!!" 8-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Still got the ticket,I am open for offers,framing extra.