Tuesday 5th January 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 5th January 2016

Post by citizenJA »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please find the UK news front page website edition of the Guardian linked above.
A lot of what I don't see on that webpage is posted below.

How are Tory government going to comprehensively protect the UK from flooding, extreme weather events, how are local authorities coping today? Do they have what they need for protection and rebuilding infrastructure, homes and businesses? Where the plan, Dave? Where's the comprehensive plan the entire country needs to continue providing civilisation you depend upon?

Social care - are people getting the help they need? Are care workers getting paid? Do local authorities have what they need to protect those needing social care?

NHS - Junior doctors forced to go on strike to prevent dangerous work conditions foisted upon them by current government. Where's the media hanging around outside his door demanding to know where he's at on the NHS, will he protect patients by ensuring qualified, properly provisioned hospital staff aren't subject to further degradation of their employment conditions?

Pollution, affordable housing, public transportation, teacher shortages...the list of things to do are long and I need accurate news to make sure I'm able to make responsible decisions based upon that information.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Ooh, this is brilliant. The story now, is that Dugher wrote the article in New Statesman to provoke Corbyn into sacking him, therefore sparing Benn.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Joe Murphy ‏@JoeMurphyLondon 3m3 minutes ago
Oh no - another BBC man drops the c-bomb while trying to say 'Jeremy Hunt'. The spirit of Jim Naughtie lives! http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvf ... 48841.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
:lol:
Working on the wild side.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

refitman wrote:Ooh, this is brilliant. The story now, is that Dugher wrote the article in New Statesman to provoke Corbyn into sacking him, therefore sparing Benn.

Eh? Was it an either or? Meanwhile, in the real world....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I can imagine the scenario.

Corbyn sitting behind his desk says, "I am the elected leader ... You're unhappy ... I'm not resigning ... "
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Maeght wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: I'm still wondering about the 'shadow minister' that was quoted / reported on Radio 4 yesterday. Hoping whoever it was will no longer be in the
shadow cabinet.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -reshuffle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Labour's war of attrition must end - or the Tories will keep running amok"; says Owen Jones.

I couldn't agree more.
We all agree. The trouble is that as Jackie Fisher (I think) said, 'all men want peace, they just want it on their own terms'. Everyone wants everyone else to shut up and agree with them.

I'm getting so sick of it that I'd leave the party in disgust if it weren't that my leaving would be used by the 'moderates' as more proof that Corbyn is the worst thing since sliced cheese.
Me too. It'd be playing into their hands...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

If there's one thing I've learned today, it's how to pronounce Michael Dugher's name. (I don't know how I've missed hearing it spoken out loud before now, but there you go. I always thought that it was pronounced "Doo-er".)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

All the poor sods so badly affected by Tory policies are having to show tremendous self discipline to keep themselves going, despite the humiliation and hardship they're suffering daily, but some Labour members on Twitter apparently don't expect MPs to do the same and do the job we pay them for.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Michael Dugher MP ‏@MichaelDugher 4 Sep 2015

The endorsements pour in for Jeremy Corbyn: Hamas and UKIP. Quite something.
FFS. What's that supposed to mean? Or is it me?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Crosby is in charge of Goldsmith.

It will be awful.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

If there's one thing I've learned today, it's how to pronounce Michael Dugher's name. (I don't know how I've missed hearing it spoken out loud before now, but there you go. I always thought that it was pronounced "Doo-er".)
Haven't listened to radio today, so searched:

http://phonetic-blog.blogspot.co.ke/201 ... k.html?m=1
As you can hear, he pronounces his surname with the STRUT vowel, as if it were spelt Dugger . As a dictionary entry we would write
ˈdʌɡə . Since he speaks with a noticeable northern accent (born and raised in Doncaster, south Yorkshire), he makes no distinction between the STRUT and FOOT vowels, so that this actually comes out more as ˈdəɡə, ˈdʊ̈ɡə .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Zac Goldsmith accuses mayoral rival Sadiq Khan of 'playing race card'
Conservative London mayoral candidate makes claim after Labour rival objects to being described as ‘radical and divisive’ on election leaflets

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -race-card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hope this contest isn't going to get really nasty. Last thing needed in current times.
Goldsmith was trying to weasel out of it by saying that he was accusing Labour of being 'radical and divisisive; on Today earlier - didn't cut much ice.

Describing any Muslim as 'radical' in these times is really unpleasant.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Dugher was one of the main architects of Andy Burnham's leadership campaign last year. Further comment is surely superfluous.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Interesting that David Cameron is now poised to be in the position (re the EU referendum) that Jeremy Corbyn is\was re front bench out-of-line-ness.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I see Kuessenberg's tired of what credibility she had and is trying to get rid of it post-haste. She spent most of yesterday saying Benn would be sacked, then this morning she had to row back and now he's being sacked again.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Zac Goldsmith accuses mayoral rival Sadiq Khan of 'playing race card'
Conservative London mayoral candidate makes claim after Labour rival objects to being described as ‘radical and divisive’ on election leaflets

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -race-card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hope this contest isn't going to get really nasty. Last thing needed in current times.
Goldsmith was trying to weasel out of it by saying that he was accusing Labour of being 'radical and divisisive; on Today earlier - didn't cut much ice.

Another thing .... those more leftie than thou Greens have recommended their supporters choose Goldsmith as their second preference.

I know Goldsmith is ecologically minded - but he's a Tory, and the Tories en masse are terrible on Green issues. I hope Bennett realises what the result is of her pre election efforts to undermine Labour. Miliband would have been superb on the environment.

Oh, and Sturgeon was telling English voters to vote Green as well .... :fire:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Red Box ‏@timesredbox 3m3 minutes ago
Update: @MichaelDugher changes his bio: 'Sacked by Corbyn for too much straight talking'

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/redbox/topic/ ... at-we-know" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It solidifies the throwing toys out of the pram meme, doesn't it.

It's even beyond childish behaviour...
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

ohsocynical wrote:
Update: @MichaelDugher changes his bio: 'Sacked by Corbyn for too much straight talking'

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/redbox/topic/ ... at-we-know" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silly sod!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Again, what???
My colleague Jane Martinson, the Guardian’s head of media, has written an article arguing that Michael Dugher’s sacking highlights Labour’s “almost complete lack of action on newspaper regulation”.

Here’s an extract.

Dugher and his team sent a draft report on the government’s failure to proceed with part two of the Leveson inquiry to Corbyn just before Christmas.

It is presumably still on the leader’s desk, underneath the index cards with the names of possible shadow cabinet team members.

Before this draft plan of action, Dugher had given little indication that the media and its behaviour was high on his agenda. It wasn’t until a report in the Times suggesting that the government was unlikely to continue with Leveson part two that he decided the issue had become a political one.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Children rescued from flood-hit school bus after driver ignores road closure sign
Flood rescue officers in North Yorkshire smash back window to rescue 26 children in Newton-on-Ouse on Tuesday morning

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... lood-water" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeepers this is getting beyond manageable ... we're supposedly having 'showers' here today. It's full on torrential again. We went out to the vets and by the time we came back an hour and a half later - roads were like rivers, water pouring out of the banks and fields, drainage ditches completely overwhelmed, our track like a fast flowing stream. We are soaked through and having to put plastic bags on the car seats so we don't drench them.

Sodden. That is the only word that sums up life at the moment. And we are the lucky ones who because of our situation on a hillside are very unlikely to flood - and we both have 4 wheel drive vehicles, thank goodness.

Feeling for yahyah in all this. Probably similar for her. And looks like she made the fatal mistake of turning her laptop off ... and is now incommunicado.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Housing bill will do nothing for many of those in need of a decent home
Richard Best
New housing legislation fails to address the problem of affordable rented housing, and there may be little that we in the House of Lords can do to improve i
Vordy
Backbencher

Post by Vordy »

Scroungers and Tax Evasion.

In the last three decades politicians opened loopholes, refused to close the existing ones and just gave declarations of intent. But they never act against the interests of the upper class that owns the corporations. The only explanation that makes sense is corruption.

Worldwide corporations and the extremely rich upper class evade taxes of approximately 32 trillion $ (32.000.000.000.000) – every year. Meanwhile the rest of the world drowns in debts.

Source:

http://www.economy4mankind.org/tax-evasion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

General Electric paid a federal effective tax rate of negative 11.1 percent between 2008 and 2012 despite being profitable all of those years. The company received net tax payments from the government. GE maintained 18 subsidiaries in tax havens in 2014, and parked $119 billion offshore. One of the company’s most lucrative loopholes is the ‘active financing exception’, which is poised to expire at the end of the year. GE alone hired 48 lobbyists to push to renew this loophole last year.
Microsoft avoided $4.5 billion in federal income taxes over a three-year period by using sophisticated accounting tricks to artificially shift its income to tax-friendly Puerto Rico. Microsoft maintains five tax haven subsidiaries and keeps $92.9 billion there, on which it would otherwise owe $29.6 billion in additional U.S. taxes.
Pfizer paid no U.S. income taxes between 2010 and 2012 because the company reported losses in the U.S. during those years, despite making 40 percent of its sales in the U.S. and earning $43 billion worldwide. In 2014, the company operated 143 subsidiaries in tax havens and declared $74 billion parked offshore which remains untaxed by the U.S., according to its own SEC filing.

Source:

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/20 ... tax-havens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 10m10 minutes ago
Boris promised to eradicate homelessness. It doubled http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/01 ... n-as-mayor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 9m9 minutes ago
Boris promised "a manned ticket office at every station". Then he closed them all http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/01 ... n-as-mayor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Still digesting that earlier bit of info that the Greens are recommending their voters give their second preference to the Tories in the London Mayoral election. His environmental concerns wouldn't sway that for me I'm afraid ... Goldsmith will be used by the Tory party to continue the work they have started. And allowing Goldsmith / Tories to win and run the capital sends a really bad message to anyone that doesn't want a one party state even more firmly entrenched.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Cameron: I fear my children won’t get on housing ladder (perhaps you can help out, Dave - with your £30m family fortune!)
David Cameron said he feared his children would struggle to afford homes
The Prime Minister and Zac Goldsmith met with property developers
Mr Cameron owns two homes with a combined worth of around £4.5million

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... adder.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where's Nadine Dorries when you need her?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote: Still digesting that earlier bit of info that the Greens are recommending their voters give their second preference to the Tories in the London Mayoral election
Is this actually confirmed and official??
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 10m10 minutes ago
Boris promised to eradicate homelessness. It doubled http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/01 ... n-as-mayor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 9m9 minutes ago
Boris promised "a manned ticket office at every station". Then he closed them all http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/01 ... n-as-mayor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Still digesting that earlier bit of info that the Greens are recommending their voters give their second preference to the Tories in the London Mayoral election. His environmental concerns wouldn't sway that for me I'm afraid ... Goldsmith will be used by the Tory party to continue the work they have started. And allowing Goldsmith / Tories to win and run the capital sends a really bad message to anyone that doesn't want a one party state even more firmly entrenched.
I really, really want to be supportive the Greens but they aren't making it easy... Is there a source for that second preference story? I can't find it online. Would dearly love it not to be true.
No idea Robert I'm afraid. Someone on here said it in a post ... hope they are still reading and will be able to give us a ref we can check. I'd also like it to not be true.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Children rescued from flood-hit school bus after driver ignores road closure sign
Flood rescue officers in North Yorkshire smash back window to rescue 26 children in Newton-on-Ouse on Tuesday morning

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... lood-water" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeepers this is getting beyond manageable ... we're supposedly having 'showers' here today. It's full on torrential again. We went out to the vets and by the time we came back an hour and a half later - roads were like rivers, water pouring out of the banks and fields, drainage ditches completely overwhelmed, our track like a fast flowing stream. We are soaked through and having to put plastic bags on the car seats so we don't drench them.

Sodden. That is the only word that sums up life at the moment. And we are the lucky ones who because of our situation on a hillside are very unlikely to flood - and we both have 4 wheel drive vehicles, thank goodness.

Feeling for yahyah in all this. Probably similar for her. And looks like she made the fatal mistake of turning her laptop off ... and is now incommunicado.
It sounds an absolute nightmare. And not the best weather to recover from nasty colds.

I didn't like to ask before but as you mentioned the vets, how is your dog?

Although we've not had near as much rain in the SE, the ground is sodden now. When it rains it just sits on the surface. We have a small river overflowing a few miles from here. Lots of flooded fields.
The Thames is looking okay at present, but it wouldn't take much for her to pop over.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Silly sod!
More nasty little snot I reckon.

Amazing what some peoples true nature is like when you strip off the veneer isn't it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Kenneth Clarke, the Conservative former chancellor, asks if Cameron expects to get a full opt out from “ever closer union”. And are other EU countries interested in benefit reform?

Cameron says “ever closer union” does matter because the EU court uses it to make judgments.

On benefits, Cameron says some countries are concerned about the “hollowing out” they are experiencing because workers are coming to the UK.
I'm guessing the bit about the EU Court there is rubbish. Perhaps what they're taking into account isn't so much "ever closer union" as Britain signing the Single European Act, the Maastricht Treaty, the Amsterdam Treaty, the Lisbon Treaty.

Which countries are concerned about hollowing out? And nice try at making it into a benefits issue.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: I hope this contest isn't going to get really nasty. Last thing needed in current times.

Another thing .... those more leftie than thou Greens have recommended their supporters choose Goldsmith as their second preference.

I know Goldsmith is ecologically minded - but he's a Tory, and the Tories en masse are terrible on Green issues. I hope Bennett realises what the result is of her pre election efforts to undermine Labour. Miliband would have been superb on the environment.

Oh, and Sturgeon was telling English voters to vote Green as well .... :fire:
I thought that we were all meant to be being chummy in opposing the Conservatives. If this Green suggestion is proved to be true, then Natalie Bennett is even thicker than I thought. And that's going some . . .

Edited to add a "t". Apologies to my friend Natalie.
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 05 Jan, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote: It sounds an absolute nightmare. And not the best weather to recover from nasty colds.

Although we've not had near as much rain in the SE, the ground is sodden now. When it rains it just sits on the surface. We have a small river overflowing a few miles from here. Lots of flooded fields.
The Thames is looking okay at present, but it wouldn't take much for her to pop over.
I knew you would have noticed I hadn't updated on the dog Ohso. Well - it wasn't great news and we were feeling too cold-ridden to be able to rally ourselves to deal with it properly when we first got it. She has fairly advanced spondylosis of the spine and hip dsyplasia / arthritis. She's only 5 or 6 ish so not what we would have expected or wanted. The vet who did the x rays said she will be on pain medication for life ... and it was all a bit bleak. We went to see our normal vet today - now she's back and we're more up to working out what to do for the best and we've got an initial plan - and I've done a lot of research and we'll start incorporating some useful supplements, therapies and self help measures. Plus Bella the dog is now much perkier - as the urine infection she also had is on its way out.

Pets eh .... definitely have to be in it for the long haul. However - on the bright side we've discovered that we have the equivalent of doggie TV or video that we can make use of in the rainy weather. The two pointers will sit for hours in front of our glass kitchen door which looks out onto the bird feeders. They positively quiver as they watch both the birds flocking on and off the feeders and the squirrels sitting munching on the ground below.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SNP in silly question shock! Angus Robertson.
And will Cameron guarantee that, if Scotland votes to stay in the EU, it will stay?

Tory MPs groan. Robertson says the people of Scotland will hear those groans.
All about grievance, isn't it?

Pathetic.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

refitman wrote:Again, what???
My colleague Jane Martinson, the Guardian’s head of media, has written an article arguing that Michael Dugher’s sacking highlights Labour’s “almost complete lack of action on newspaper regulation”.

Here’s an extract.

Dugher and his team sent a draft report on the government’s failure to proceed with part two of the Leveson inquiry to Corbyn just before Christmas.

It is presumably still on the leader’s desk, underneath the index cards with the names of possible shadow cabinet team members.

Before this draft plan of action, Dugher had given little indication that the media and its behaviour was high on his agenda. It wasn’t until a report in the Times suggesting that the government was unlikely to continue with Leveson part two that he decided the issue had become a political one.
We must remember that 'journalists', write their articles after due 'consideration'.
At least that's what I was told by one snooty cow.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

If there was a contest for straight talking Ohso - I reckon you'd nail it.

You and Jess Phillips in a locked room. I know who I'd bet on.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: It sounds an absolute nightmare. And not the best weather to recover from nasty colds.

I knew you would have noticed I hadn't updated on the dog Ohso. Well - it wasn't great news and we were feeling too cold-ridden to be able to rally ourselves to deal with it properly when we first got it. She has fairly advanced spondylosis of the spine and hip dsyplasia / arthritis. She's only 5 or 6 ish so not what we would have expected or wanted. The vet who did the x rays said she will be on pain medication for life ... and it was all a bit bleak. We went to see our normal vet today - now she's back and we're more up to working out what to do for the best and we've got an initial plan - and I've done a lot of research and we'll start incorporating some useful supplements, therapies and self help measures. Plus Bella the dog is now much perkier - as the urine infection she also had is on its way out.

Pets eh .... definitely have to be in it for the long haul. However - on the bright side we've discovered that we have the equivalent of doggie TV or video that we can make use of in the rainy weather. The two pointers will sit for hours in front of our glass kitchen door which looks out onto the bird feeders. They positively quiver as they watch both the birds flocking on and off the feeders and the squirrels sitting munching on the ground below.

Hello - I hadn't forgotten but, since you didn't give an update, I shied away from broaching the subject. I probably shouldn't have done. I hope things continue to improve, insofar as they can.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Sheba my cross border collie developed rhumatics/arthritis at about the same age. She used to seize right up especially if she got cold or wet. In those days the vets didn't do Xrays very much, so he advised aspirin when she got very stiff, and a paracetemol if she looked in pain. It seemed to do the trick and we had her for her normal span...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Liam Fox is right here.
Liam Fox, the Conservative former defence secretary, asks how being outside “ever closer union” will protect the UK from court decisions already taken that hinge on the “ever closer concept”?

Cameron says people say this phrase is just symbolic, but symbols matter in politics. He does not answer the point about court decisions that are already binding on the UK.
Nice boost to the antis there, Cameron. You muppet.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/housing-netw ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Experts say housing bill signals end of the road for affordable housing
‘A mess’ and only for homeowners: leading social housing experts give their views on the policies in the housing and planning bill
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LBCVerified account
‏@LBC
LISTEN: @PaulFlynnMP says “self indulgent” Corbyn critics inside Labour are “bad losers" http://l-bc.co/YRllYE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:
refitman wrote:Again, what???

Here’s an extract.

We must remember that 'journalists', write their articles after due 'consideration'.
At least that's what I was told by one snooty cow.
She's getting a sound kicking BTL for being an idiot.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/j ... our-police" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Council services will never be the same again
Central government funding cuts will force councils to dust off their more radical plans to close children’s centres and libraries – while giving them an opportunity to raise money locally
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Disability Rights UK ‏@DisRightsUK 1h1 hour ago
We want to hear if you are appealing or have appealed a PIP decision. http://ow.ly/WEuUL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Liam Fox is right here.
Liam Fox, the Conservative former defence secretary, asks how being outside “ever closer union” will protect the UK from court decisions already taken that hinge on the “ever closer concept”?

Cameron says people say this phrase is just symbolic, but symbols matter in politics. He does not answer the point about court decisions that are already binding on the UK.
Nice boost to the antis there, Cameron. You muppet.
That's not something you say every day!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:If there was a contest for straight talking Ohso - I reckon you'd nail it.

You and Jess Phillips in a locked room. I know who I'd bet on.

:D :D :D
Strange as it may seem, I've been the family peacemaker for most of my life. Hated confrontation and tell white lies all the time rather than hurt peoples feelings unnecessarily. I still skip over a lot of what goes on because I get so viciously angry I'd explode.

They - MPs, journalists, the movers and shakers have drawn the battle lines. Their choice, which makes them fair game as far as I'm concerned.
And they should know better. That's the worst sin of all.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

CostOfCameron ‏@costofcameron 16m16 minutes ago
Cameron makes awful remark about "people breaking into Britain" when replying to .@YvetteCooperMP on unaccompanied Syrian kids in Calais.
That really is dreadful. He's got 'security' messaging stamped all the way through him hasn't he.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ivan Lewis ‏@IvanLewis_MP 4m4 minutes ago
Just asked Prime Minister why he isn't applying for funding from EU Solidarity Fund to help victims of flooding in Radcliffe. No real answer
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 8m8 minutes ago
Odd Dave not applying to EU solidarity. Payments slow but 2008 Britain received £120m after earlier floods. Help referendum Yes
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Ivan Lewis ‏@IvanLewis_MP 4m4 minutes ago
Just asked Prime Minister why he isn't applying for funding from EU Solidarity Fund to help victims of flooding in Radcliffe. No real answer
It's amazing there are still people out there that expect an answer.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 8m8 minutes ago
Odd Dave not applying to EU solidarity. Payments slow but 2008 Britain received £120m after earlier floods. Help referendum Yes
Is anyone else finding it strange that Dave seems determined not to call on EU funds which we're entitled to?
We'd get back a bit of what we've paid in. Rather like insurance. People would understand that.

It's almost as if he doesn't want us to look on the EU as being beneficial.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

It's been raining more or less constantly since Xmas, and torrentially for the last two days. I went for a walk today, to keep my wretched joints moving and got thoroughly drenched and blown inside out. Flood warnings all over the place, roads closed and my cellar is slowly filling up. At least I've got the wherewithal and tech skills to keep us dry. Fingers crossed and all the best.