Saturday 9th January 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Vordy
Backbencher

Re: Saturday 9th January 2016

Post by Vordy »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Posting this not for the blog piece itself (although it's a good summary - inc timelines etc) but for the comments BTL. Read the last few and be sickened - it's all a lovely little tight chumocracy.
Daily Politics On The Rack
http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -rack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is a corruption of our society...pure and simple

A shame no-one is interested
Found this in the comments section.

The Crippled Estate of BBC Spin.

Source:

https://seagullnic.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... -bbc-spin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Gauke is actually reasonably competent in his day job, according to Jolyon Maugham. He's made some decent rule changes apparently.

But he's a hopeless politician, and covers for Osborne about as well as Chloe Smith did.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Hobiejoe wrote:Could it get any worse? Why yes, yes it could.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -interview

:popcorn:
When asked about the Sun payment, Danczuk said: “I am not talking to the press.”
:lol:

Well, that's a first!
I can't wait to see the back of him.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The Michaela teacher has posted my comment and a nice reply.

From what she says, it sounds like the intake and class size are fairly standard, and other teachers are giving her lots of support. This is encouraging and I've wished her well.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Interesting. Too early to draw conclusions of course, and there could be other reasons, but worth keeping an eye on.

http://m.motherjones.com/environment/20 ... ork-mexico" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A study published Wednesday in the British Medical Journal suggests the tax is working: After one year, sales of sugar-sweetened drinks in Mexico dropped by 12 percent. And among poor households, which have the highest levels of obesity and untreated diabetes, sales fell by 17 percent.

The study, conducted by researchers at Mexico's National Institute of Public Health and the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, looked at sugary-drink purchases among some 6,000 households in cities across Mexico, and compared real purchases with expected purchases without the tax. In addition to a reduction in sugary-drink sales, the researchers found a 4 percent increase in untaxed beverage sales—primarily water.
It's this sort of thing which I want to see more of from Corbyn. I don't expect him to commit to it immediately, but he could flag it up. In terms of tax, it's been too much "we'll do nice stuff by people other than you paying more tax".
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Jo Maugham QC ‏@JolyonMaugham Jan 8
Why would a *Labour* Party choose to generate tax competition between local regions? What effect does it hope for?
Indeed. Don't like this at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... tax-powers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Flood warnings for:
England and Wales
4:07pm Saturday 09 January 2016

20 Flood warnings - flooding is expected. Immediate action required.
► 20 Flood warnings - flooding is expected. Immediate action required.
130 Flood alerts - flooding is possible. Be prepared.
► 130 Flood alerts - flooding is possible. Be prepared.
23 Warnings no longer in force - flood warnings and flood alerts removed in the last 24 hours.
► 23 Warnings no longer in force - flood warnings and flood alerts removed in the last 24 hours.

https://flood-warning-information.servi ... k/warnings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There were only nineteen (19) flood warnings indicating flooding is going to happen
when I started on my post about Gauke's memory losses or deliberate falsifications.
Whatever they are, his inaccuracies concern me, they do indeed. What else is he
forgetting, that's the question I ask.

The rain is lashing against the windows here at the moment, has been for awhile.
We are used to rain here being in the watershed of the Cambrian mountains, but the last month or so has been something else.

Walking our regular route past the (now sadly closed) village school water was literally cascading off the fields at the back and running like a river down the steps. Streams have appeared in the most unlikely places, all torrenting down to find the lowest point.
Scary.

Not just the risk of river or flash flooding but damage to homes too.

Everything is turning green, house walls covered in mossy mould.
A neighbour spending her second winter here after moving from south coast of England was in tears the other day after finding black mould growing behind her furniture.
Our dehumidifier is on 24 hours a day. Hard to air the house when it is 90degrees humidity outside, so have to rely on technology.

The local sheep have been moved back up the hills to help avoid painful foot problems from standing in sodden fields.
Thanks for the detail, yahyah. Black mould and compromised homes damaged by wet damp is a
serious health hazard. People without insurance or not enough, not wanting to claim for fear of
coverage cancellation or unmanageable rate hikes? No money for refurbishing dwellings, making
the homes fit to live in? Tenants afraid to bring it up with their landlord?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The Michaela teacher has posted my comment and a nice reply.

From what she says, it sounds like the intake and class size are fairly standard, and other teachers are giving her lots of support. This is encouraging and I've wished her well.
Good, thank you for taking the time to inquire further.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Gauke is actually reasonably competent in his day job, according to Jolyon Maugham. He's made some decent rule changes apparently.

But he's a hopeless politician, and covers for Osborne about as well as Chloe Smith did.
No, Gauke isn't anywhere near competent in his job, according to Gauke's own words and actions.
Last year, February, 2015 -
"The Treasury minister David Gauke...defended the government’s efforts to clamp down on tax avoidance,
insisting that there is no evidence that Lord Green, the former HSBC chairman then coalition trade minister,
knew anything of questionable practices at the bank’s Swiss subsidiaries.

...Labour demanded to know what due diligence the government undertook to ensure that Lord Green had
no involvement or knowledge of the systematic tax evasion.

Gauke conceded that tax evasion is a criminal offence, and in some cases money laundering appeared to
be involved, but he claimed he had only been given clearance by the French tax authorities on Monday
to pass information to other prosecuting authorities.

He told MPs that HMRC had received the HSBC data under very strict conditions which limited the
department’s use of it to pursuing offshore tax evasion and prevented it from sharing the data with
other law enforcement authorities. Under these restrictions, HMRC had not been able to seek
prosecution for other potential offences such as money laundering, he said.

French authorities confirmed, however, they would provide all
assistance to allow HMRC to exploit the data to its fullest.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/fe ... phen-green" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guake lied or forgot how to investigate and/or prosecute money-launderers in the UK.
And five days ago -
HSBC escapes action by City regulator following Swiss tax scandal
Financial Conduct Authority will take no action against bank whose Swiss arm helped clients to evade tax

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ax-scandal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Well obviously he's spinning a party position there.

On technocratic details, Jolyon Maugham for one said he's made some good rule changes.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Interesting. Too early to draw conclusions of course, and there could be other reasons, but worth keeping an eye on.

http://m.motherjones.com/environment/20 ... ork-mexico" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A study published Wednesday in the British Medical Journal suggests the tax is working: After one year, sales of sugar-sweetened drinks in Mexico dropped by 12 percent. And among poor households, which have the highest levels of obesity and untreated diabetes, sales fell by 17 percent.

The study, conducted by researchers at Mexico's National Institute of Public Health and the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, looked at sugary-drink purchases among some 6,000 households in cities across Mexico, and compared real purchases with expected purchases without the tax. In addition to a reduction in sugary-drink sales, the researchers found a 4 percent increase in untaxed beverage sales—primarily water.
It's this sort of thing which I want to see more of from Corbyn. I don't expect him to commit to it immediately, but he could flag it up. In terms of tax, it's been too much "we'll do nice stuff by people other than you paying more tax".
11139433_10206749286707255_5047102733474011122_n.jpg
11139433_10206749286707255_5047102733474011122_n.jpg (41.36 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Jo Maugham QC ‏@JolyonMaugham Jan 8
Why would a *Labour* Party choose to generate tax competition between local regions? What effect does it hope for?
Indeed. Don't like this at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... tax-powers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's very vague. The Libdems have championed a local income tax for years. As a replacement for council tax it could be quite progressive.
If it's like the Scottish income tax devolution, which has enabled the SNP to set the Scottish rate at exactly the same level as before in 2017 it could just prove a pointless cul-de-sac and massive red herring.
I'm getting a bit fed up with all this kite flying. If someone has a fully formed idea then great, but when it's this vague there's always the suspicion you're being softened up for something you would automatically reject if heard in full straight off.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The IFS modelled the SNP's capped local income tax in 2007. Mixed results.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/3897" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No sign of it even now.

I always suspect with them that the point is to drive a wedge.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
Hobiejoe wrote:Could it get any worse? Why yes, yes it could.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -interview

:popcorn:
When asked about the Sun payment, Danczuk said: “I am not talking to the press.”
:lol:

Well, that's a first!

I can't wait to see the back of him.

Well, we've certainly seen that he's got a lot of "side" and a lot of "front". We might as well see the back, just for completeness!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Hencke ‏@davidhencke 8m8 minutes ago
Fact and Fiction over Jeremy Corbyn’s first by election defeat of the year https://davidhencke.wordpress.com/2016/ ... -the-year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I have been following the various debates and arguments re the BBC's integrity, obligations and impartiality between Peter Jukes and various journalists in the wake of Kuenssbergate ... (and on other twitter feeds ) - boy do the lobby journalists bristle with outrage when their behaviour and actions are questioned (far too confirming of the entrenched cosiness IMO).

This just hit new heights / depths.
Peter Jukes Retweeted
Niall Paterson ‏@skynewsniall 4m4 minutes ago
@peterjukes why should BBC behave differently than competitors simply bcos of fee? Why shd fee payers dictate when politicians should not?

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 3m3 minutes ago
Well there's a great question for a massive wider debate. @skynewsniall
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 14m14 minutes ago
Apparently a senior Sunday newspaper Lobby correspondent has described me as a "complete c**t" for complaining to the BBC. Bizarre

Peter Jukes Retweeted
Kevin O'Connell ‏@Hibou2 13m13 minutes ago
@peterjukes don't mess with the lobby seems to be the message.
See what I mean?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Jeez.

https://theintercept.com/2016/01/08/whe ... ee-speech/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those who exploited the Hebdo murders sought to abolish this vital distinction. They insisted that it was not enough to denounce or condemn those who murdered the Hebdo cartoonists. Instead, they tried to impose a new obligation: one must celebrate and embrace the ideas of the Hebdo cartoonists, support the granting of awards to them, cheer for the substance of their views. Failure to embrace the ideas of Charlie Hebdo (rather than just their free speech rights) subjected one to accusations — by the world’s slimiest smear artists — that one was failing to uphold their rights of free expression or, worse, that one sympathized with their killers.

This cheap bullying tactic — trying to force people not merely to defend Hebdo’s free speech rights to but to embrace the ideas being expressed — has endured to this day

I think the ideas of leftwing anti-racist cartoonists are worth celebrating, sorry.

This sort of stuff bugs me. Very little attempt to understand Charlie Hebdo. I've put this up before. It's important.

http://www.understandingcharliehebdo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There were plenty of staunch defenders of Charlie Hebdo who don't believe in a complete free for all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Well obviously he's spinning a party position there.

On technocratic details, Jolyon Maugham for one said he's made some good rule changes.
No doubt he's very useful. In my opinion, his actions benefit too few. He can do more.
The Tory MP for South West Hertfordshire and current Financial Secretary for HM Treasury,
David Gauke, is a public servant for the entire UK. I wish he'd do what's best for greater
good of country and people.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Sure, but we don't know for instance what his view on the Swiss tax evaders was. My guess is that came from above him.

We should expect technocratic competence from all Ministers. I think we've more of it from Gauke than anyone else I can think of.

But it's an important political point, not just a personal one. Corbyn's implied all this easy extra tax to collect out there. If we accept that policy on this front isn't all bad, then we need to start thinking about raising extra taxes.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sports Direct founder allegedly being sued over £15m banker offer
Mike Ashley promised sum to Jeff Blue if he could double retailer’s share price in three years, according to reports

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -jeff-blue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Remember when Ed Miliband used the term 'predatory' about certain kinds of business practice and people? I'm not sure it's nasty enough to describe this guy.
Vordy
Backbencher

Post by Vordy »

New post on Exaro News concerning paedophiles and a public broadcaster.

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5733/ ... vivors-ids" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Vordy wrote:New post on Exaro News concerning paedophiles and a public broadcaster.

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5733/ ... vivors-ids" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is the Exaro story a different story / person from this one Vordy? I'm getting rather confused about the different investigations, leaks, allegedly bent coppers, etc etc.
'Westminster paedophile ring' police officer DCI Paul Settle investigated by watchdog over claims of leaking material to media
DCI Settle was charged with looking into claims of VIP sexual abuse at Dolphin Square, the Elm Guest House in Barnes and elsewhere

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 03726.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Obviously, the oil crash has hurt Scotland in the short term, and nobody could do much about that.

But as this bloke says, hard to see anything much that backs up the SNP's claims about it "punching above its weight".

http://www.scottisheconomywatch.com/bri ... eight.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never mind, I'm sure doing badly is an argument for independence. Just as doing well is.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Creating a modern nursing workforce
Department of Health and Ben Gummer MP
18 December 2015
NHS bursary reform and nurse education

Health Minister Ben Gummer writes about nursing education reform and a new route into nursing.

"From 1 August 2017, new nursing, midwifery and allied health students will no longer
receive NHS bursaries. Instead, they will have access to the same student loans system
as other students.

Benefits of the new system
The new system will provide:

- more nurses, midwives and allied health professionals for the NHS
- a better funding system for health students in England
- a sustainable model for universities"

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... -workforce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't understand how anyone benefits from this change except those holding the debt working people have to go into in order to provide themselves the education and training necessary for making a living.

Benedict Gummer is Tory MP for Ipswich and author of The Scourging Angel, a historical account of the 'Great Pestilence' in Britain, beginning around 1348 lasting a couple years, though not eradicated after that time. I didn't know the who the author was when I read it.

I'm interested in the sociological outcomes of pandemics in history. The lives of those people not of the ruling class remaining alive were not greatly improved due to roughly half the population dying within a couple of years. The labour of those left alive was as valuable as it was before the pestilence. Scarcity didn't mean those working for a living were able to trade their work for greater rewards, it meant the king passing labour laws demanding peasants take what they're offered and expect no more on pain of death. Brutalisation continued and might making right endured.

I've not re-read Gummer's account and I'm not certain his interpretation matches mine.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
18 December 2015

Health Minister Ben Gummer writes about nursing education reform and a new route into nursing.

"From 1 August 2017, new nursing, midwifery and allied health students will no longer
receive NHS bursaries. Instead, they will have access to the same student loans system
as other students.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... -workforce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't understand how anyone benefits from this change except those holding the debt working people have to go into in order to provide themselves the education and training necessary for making a living.

Benedict Gummer is Tory MP for Ipswich and author of The Scourging Angel, a historical account of the 'Great Pestilence' in Britain, beginning around 1348 lasting a couple years, though not eradicated after that time. I didn't know the who the author was when I read it.

I'm interested in the sociological outcomes of pandemics in history. The lives of those people not of the ruling class remaining alive were not greatly improved due to roughly half the population dying within a couple of years. The labour of those left alive was as valuable as it was before the pestilence. Scarcity didn't mean those working for a living were able to trade their work for greater rewards, it meant the king passing labour laws demanding peasants take what they're offered and expect no more on pain of death. Brutalisation continued and might making right endured.

I've not re-read Gummer's account and I'm not certain his interpretation matches mine.
It's a disgraceful policy. Seen tweets from Geraint Davies MP today saying it amounts to take on a £50,000 loan to earn a salary of £22,000 .... from which they will lose / start paying back £900 approx straightaway. It's not a good prospect for anyone living or working somewhere with other than pretty low costs of living. And as they are effectively working for the NHS while they are training - and generally unable to take other part time work - it amounts to them paying for working. The scandal of unpaid internships pales beside this.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Sure, but we don't know for instance what his view on the Swiss tax evaders was. My guess is that came from above him.

We should expect technocratic competence from all Ministers. I think we've more of it from Gauke than anyone else I can think of.

But it's an important political point, not just a personal one. Corbyn's implied all this easy extra tax to collect out there. If we accept that policy on this front isn't all bad, then we need to start thinking about raising extra taxes.
The man is either profoundly absent-minded or a liar. He's made claims that are demonstrably aren't true - the original story in today's Guardian has him quoted saying one thing, and the documented evidence making him either a liar or an incompetent person who doesn't realise what he's saying is inaccurate. No, I will continue to demand and expect far more from all ministers. Gauke's performance is abysmal. I've no idea what makes you think his conduct and words are adequate, they're not.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Good Lord.

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/who-got-the-good-grades/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ofsted doing far fewer inspections than in 2014. And giving lower grades.

How does that work?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ben Gummer could be embarrassed by lack of rail progress. He didn't quite throw himself into it like Chloe Smith, but he latched on to "Ipswich in 60".

Would be such a shame if he came a cropper.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday

Post by ohsocynical »

jolly_angelina Retweeted
Mr Ethical ‏@nw_nicholas 12 mins12 minutes ago Maastricht, Limburg

A friend is finding out some VERY interesting things about BBC Pension Fund.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think he's overegging the pudding considerably.
Mr Ethical ‏@nw_nicholas 5h5 hours ago Maastricht, Limburg
Corrupt Cameron unlawfully appointed a criminal banker to head the BBC in order to gag them over #HSBCfraud to save his political career
The relevant Tories are running the BBC News. That's what protected Cameron, not the woman administering the pension fund.

edit- I mean chairing the BBC Trust. That is a powerful position, but Tony Hall is surely the head of the BBC?
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Sat 09 Jan, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Ben Gummer could be embarrassed by lack of rail progress. He didn't quite throw himself into it like Chloe Smith, but he latched on to "Ipswich in 60".

Would be such a shame if he came a cropper.
I think you're teasing me. What does lack of rail progress have to do with his bursary decimation story? It's fine. Anyway, look at this:
"His concerns were echoed by John Gummer, who was environment secretary between 1993 and 1997.
Gummer, who was made a life peer as Lord Deben in 2010 and now chairs the Committee on Climate
Change, said that if the government failed to maintain adequate flood defences it was failing to defend
the nation.

“The defence of the realm isn’t just about deterrence, or having a standing army,” he said. “It is also to
ensure that the land isn’t eaten in by the sea. It is also to protect people’s life and limb from floods. And
therefore you have to see this as a major priority for government expenditure.”'

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... eaningless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Gummer, Ben Gummer's dad, former Tory MP for Suffolk Coastal and currently going by the name, Lord Deben, apparently isn't satisfied with Gauke and current government either.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

North Bank Road alongside the River Nene, east of Peterborough and west of Dog-in-a-Doublet Sluice

"Heavy rain over the past few days has caused river levels to rise on the River Nene. During periods of high tide the river will be unable to discharge into the sea, resulting in tide lock conditions. This is likely to lead to localised flooding at North Bank Road. Whilst the Flood Warning is in force, the Local Authority will close North Bank Road. Diversionary routes will be put in place and further updates will be available through local media."

Flood warnings for:
England and Wales
8:35pm Saturday 09 January 2016

22 Flood warnings - flooding is expected. Immediate action required.
► 22 Flood warnings - flooding is expected. Immediate action required.
150 Flood alerts - flooding is possible. Be prepared.
► 150 Flood alerts - flooding is possible. Be prepared.
14 Warnings no longer in force - flood warnings and flood alerts removed in the last 24 hours.
► 14 Warnings no longer in force - flood warnings and flood alerts removed in the last 24 hours.

https://flood-warning-information.servi ... k/warnings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hang on, people!

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Oh dear.

Westminster's fault! Give us more economic levers!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Oh dear.

They are rubbish aren't they...shows the power of propaganda and the disconnect with reality. Similar to what we see down south
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Even worse than down south in this respect.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Even worse than down south in this respect.

Nothing is worse than the contemptuous corrupt liars working out of Westminster I am afraid
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Oh dear.

Where's the graph from Tubby?

Interested to know - would like to see if there are any figures that disaggregate health and education percentages. I'm sitting here with a pile of leaflets I am going to be delivering over the next couple of weeks for the local CLP ... 'What has your Labour Welsh Government done for you? The headline point is '43% of Welsh Government Budget Spent on Health'.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

From the FT.

http://blogs.ft.com/off-message/2015/05 ... iden-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

With the Welsh Government, I think you need to get across that it's tried in Health to do prevention instead of cure, and not to have too much of a target culture. That's stuff people always said should be done, but when the Welsh Government has just been shat on from all sides.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

John McDermott is good overall, but a bit too kind to Gove education policies.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Daily impromptu lessons on how government in the UK works - where does funding come from, how much, what's in the control of local authorities, what's devolved in different countries (regions) of the UK, clear, honest and documented information so people can understand who to hold accountable.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Good Lord.

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/who-got-the-good-grades/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ofsted doing far fewer inspections than in 2014. And giving lower grades.

How does that work?
1. Fewer inspectors now that they've got rid of all (maybe) the dead wood that were working for outsourced companies
2. Targeting only those schools with previous lower grades and leaving the Good/Outstanding alone unless there's cause for concern.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Didn't they prioritize lower grades before?

Getting rid of 40% of contractors surely doesn't cut the inspection capacity that much?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Didn't they prioritize lower grades before?

Getting rid of 40% of contractors surely doesn't cut the inspection capacity that much?
Yes they did but maybe because the proportion of G/OS has risen steadily there are fewer to re-inspect.

Thought I saw something somewhere as it was raised on Twitter - I'll take a look.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

citizenJA wrote:
18 December 2015

as other students.

Yeah but the statute of 1351 was ignored by the population and not enforced by Edward III because he needed money for the wars in France. Wages in 1370 were 40% higher than in 1348. cost of living had overall fallen back from runaway inflation in 1349 to about 15% higher. Rents were about 30% lower, which gave your post black death peasant a hell of a lot of disposable income. (All figures aproximate as I cant find my EHD vol 4 from wherever it is hiding) The weight of a penny loaf was fixed by law and didnt change during the period iirc nor did the cost of a beer, although availability in the immediate aftermath was non existant. Munro argues the point you make, but takes little account of the changing tenures of rent for starters. The 30% death rate in the UK meant incrased social mobility, increased physical mobility, a decline in theocratic control that eventully led through the Lollards to the Reformation.

Certainly the immediate effects on teh general population were awful, the plague was followed by famine and a complete breakdown in central control. If you were alive in 1350 life was pretty shit, but by 1360 it was a lot better, by 1381 it was significantly improved on 1347. We can see the increased wealth of the peasant class from the amount of goods being gifted in wills, it takes a massive leap indicating the redistribution of wealth post 1350.

The black death is simply the most significant global event in the thousand years after the fall of Rome. And probably until the advent of the transatlantic slave trade and release of capital that that powered.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Liar or incompetent? She is an MSP.
Joan McAlpine
‏@JoanMcAlpine
@scotgov gave Dumfries and Galloway £700,000 for flooding - £1500 each victim. But Labour council not passing it on
Letter she cites shows that the money is paid to the council at the end of March 2016.

Hence
Joan McAlpine ‏@JoanMcAlpine 24h24 hours ago Glasgow, Scotland
@DGLabour @scotgov rubbish- u can spend the 700k for flooding victims now as you know it's coming. Don't insult public's intelligence
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Temulkar wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
18 December 2015

as other students.

Yeah but the statute of 1351 was ignored by the population and not enforced by Edward III because he needed money for the wars in France. Wages in 1370 were 40% higher than in 1348. cost of living had overall fallen back from runaway inflation in 1349 to about 15% higher. Rents were about 30% lower, which gave your post black death peasant a hell of a lot of disposable income. (All figures aproximate as I cant find my EHD vol 4 from wherever it is hiding) The weight of a penny loaf was fixed by law and didnt change during the period iirc nor did the cost of a beer, although availability in the immediate aftermath was non existant. Munro argues the point you make, but takes little account of the changing tenures of rent for starters. The 30% death rate in the UK meant incrased social mobility, increased physical mobility, a decline in theocratic control that eventully led through the Lollards to the Reformation.

Certainly the immediate effects on teh general population were awful, the plague was followed by famine and a complete breakdown in central control. If you were alive in 1350 life was pretty shit, but by 1360 it was a lot better, by 1381 it was significantly improved on 1347. We can see the increased wealth of the peasant class from the amount of goods being gifted in wills, it takes a massive leap indicating the redistribution of wealth post 1350.

The black death is simply the most significant global event in the thousand years after the fall of Rome. And probably until the advent of the transatlantic slave trade and release of capital that that powered.
Lovely. I enjoyed reading that....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Didn't they prioritize lower grades before?

Yes they did but maybe because the proportion of G/OS has risen steadily there are fewer to re-inspect.

Thought I saw something somewhere as it was raised on Twitter - I'll take a look.
Surely that can't explain a fall in inspections from 1.642 to 585. There are lots more schools opening too. They need to be doing more now so that there are fewer to inspect in the future.